Chocolate Pd Talks About Meeting Snsd

Guest Soy

"The group SNSD is but a family only under the name of SNSD."
This is kind of like a fan account... but not really. hahaha.

The PD of Kim Jungeun's Chocolate wrote a blog/entry on how he felt after he met the girls. It's really touching, but it's definitely a spoiler...

Just warning you... ;)

After filming SNSD… 090731.010436

It first started like this.

We wanted to change up their stage to make it really seem like a special performance. SNSD’s songs, from “Gee” to “Tell Me Your Wish” don’t get tiring no matter how many times you listen to them, but we wanted show a new image of them that you can’t see on the time in ranking programs. SM had already announced their goals and the kids(girls) that were already tired from a murderous schedule were facing a tough practice in the time that they barely had. Gee was re-arranged into a jazz version with a piano accompaniment that turned into a strong rock song. There was also a 6 minute large scale and exciting non-stop dance battle prepared to show a power that only SNSD possesses. There was an emphasis on the less recognized members, like the maknae Seohyun’s piano solo or the super talented Hyoyeon’s powerful solo stage, as well as all the other members, of course. Thankful of the hard work these idols put in, we took a lot more time and trouble than normal to plan the filming and design the stage so that not one of the girls’ actions or expression is missed. Just like that, we prepared until we were all happy with the music.

However, even after that, we still felt we were lacking something. The girls’ attractiveness is not just their singing, but also how they are in the everyday life. We didn’t want to play it safe and just fill in time with a variety-talk-show-like interview asking them normal questions like what their ideal man is, or what cool imitations they can do. That is not the Chocolate that I think of. These girls have already turned into an girl army of the nation’s favorite dongsengs, so everybody would have already seen their special hidden talents or heard some of their general stories. I wanted to create a meaningful time that is fresh for the viewers and possibly helpful for the girls. Having this in mind, I was even more nervous meeting them in the band practice room. Even if they are SNSD,they are like any other 20 year old girl [in Korean age], laughing freely, chattering endlessly, and joking around mischievously with each other. And in the short hour they have left, you can clearly see each of their individual personalities, but even more, you can also see how close they really are and how much they care for each other. It strongly rang through my mind that this was what I wanted to show the audience.

As “Tell Me Your Wish” became more popular, SNSD became even more busy. Just like the title of the song, SNSD had to grant people’s wishes and aired on programs everywhere. They sang, danced, and laughed a whole lot on many different variety and talk shows. Although they must be thankful for being so popular, the girls always have to be apart from their families when they are still at an age where they should be at home, playing the role of a teenager. That is why I didn’t want to ask these girls to fulfill anybody’s wishes again. I wanted to do the opposite and hear some honest wishes they might have in their hearts, no matter how small or insignificant the wish.

The show that started last year called “Change” had popped up into my mind. The people on the show who wore disguises always wanted to meet their families. It’s in human nature for families to fight most with each other and upset each other, even if they have lived together the longest. Even if the person in always sees their family, they never fail to shed a tear when meeting their family with a disguise on. This includes Hyori, (Son) Hoyoung, Tablo, and Ok Dongja. It was a very meaningful show to me as I was very negative toward the topic of “family.”

I kept it a secret from the girls, but through their manager, I contacted the maknae Seohyun’s mother. She said that it has been over a month since she last saw her daughter who lives in a dormitory with the members. She felt very sorry that she couldn’t be there for her daughter’s birthday last month. She gladly agreed to go on air saying, “anything for my only daughter.” There were many meetings, even until the night before filming, on how to resolve the show which had almost become like a hidden camera type show.

articlex.jpg

The filming began and disguised as a regular person in the audience, Seohyun’s mother asked the members, as a wish, to show her aegyo-less daughter how to appear cute and charming. Her mother also asked the girls to read a letter for her that she wrote to her daughter. The girls, who were laughing and thinking that they were only being asked to fulfill a wish, slow started to talk. When MC Kim Jungeun asked the maknae Seohyun to give the mother a hug instead of her daughter, the girls’ eyes were already red. The mother hugged Seohyun, took off her mask, and wished her daughter a happy belated birthday, giving her a baby diary of Seohyun which she intended to give to her on her wedding day. These girls were pouring tears like crazy, and even the MC turned around to wipe her eyes. The place momentarily became a quiet sea of tears. When Jessica, Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sooyoung, Sunny, Taeyeon, Yoona, and Tiffany were asked to say something to their mothers, the brave and leader-like Taeyeon stood up and began to talk. She said, “The word “mother” is a taboo to SNSD!”

Just then, Tiffany, who cried first and the most, suddenly raised her hand. She said, “I want to say something,”

There was a request that SNSD’s manager had made on behalf of the girls. He asked to please be careful of the subject of families as it was a hard topic for some of the girls. As a director who understood the gist of it, I was especially careful not to persist on the topic of mothers in case some of the girls got hurt.

Tiffany smiled and said, “This is the first time I’m saying this, but…” and she continued to say a short and wonderful greeting. When she was done, she mustered up the courage and said:

“But I thank you so much for giving me these very special siblings to me instead…”

And then she hugged her friends one by one. The girls and hugged, consoling and encouraging each other and wiping each others’ tears. Seohyun’s mother also hugged all the members, saying that it was because of the eight unnies that her daughter learned to soften up. It was hard for me to not sniff my nose while the tears began to fall from my own eyes, even as I was behind watching from behind the cameras. I am beginning to tear up again right now as I am honestly writing this. A sunbae, who was watching me from the side, said something to me… “Aigoo, the PD even has a soft heart…”

article2.jpg

When the talk was finished and filming was briefly put on hold, we quickly made an announcement. There were many reporters and people in the audience, and had to explain that Tiffany’s story is extremely personal and may even be cut out from the show, and asked them not to make any articles on it. Worrying for the girls, I then ran to their waiting room. I just wanted to give them a little surprise, but now I felt so bad. With a worried expression, I found Tiffany in the waiting room and called, “FANY!” Then, surprisingly, Tiffany came running toward me and in one moment, gave me a big hug. She then held my hand, looking at me with eyes that still had tears in them, and said, “Director, thank you so much~!” The child told me, who was feeling so sorry, that she was very happy and thankful for such a nice present, and asked to air the part for sure. Because of this child, I felt so thankful, so happy, and so apologetic, and my heart broke. Fany… and kids… thank you, and sorry..

To be honest, I don’t really know the SNSD girls. I’ve never met the girls before filming Chocolate even for work. I just enjoyed watching their cute and adorable images like other Ahjussi fans. But after this filming, the girls have become special to me. Not as a fan or a man, but as somebody who is like their older brother, I really hope they don’t become hurt emotionally. I’m pretty sure this feeling only goes for me, but it seems like I have become a part of their family. It is a given that an idol group will always be followed with gossip and malicious talk, but SNSD also has rumors saying that they’re a loner, they don’t like each other, and they say bad things. But from my experience, I can say for sure that those kinds of words are garbage that aren’t even worth considering. The members of SNSD are like real unnies, dongsengs, and loving mothers to each other. The group SNSD is but a family only under the name of SNSD. Through this filming, I have come to know a family with a sincere bond.

It first started like that, wanting to fulfill SNSD’s wishes.

However, instead, I have received a great gift from SNSD in the end.

190.jpg

Original Post: http://www.ezonepd.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=0...=asc&no=215

Translations: mishybear@soshified.com

I know this might as come to a surprise to a lot of people, but I guess because they're just used to seeing SNSD on scripted shows with other artists, but a lot of Staff that have worked with them in the past (from Girls Go to School to Now) to writers/pds have all complimented these girls on how incredible they are. One of their staff even revealed once on a show, that during their ITNW days ... the staff had to sit on the floor while the girls had to use tables to eat, but it was really awkward to the point where Taeyeon like made room for the coordinators/all staff to be able to sit and eat with them. They're really sweet girls that get a lot of love from the staff but deserve it all.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, poor kids being away from their families from a long time. It must be lonely, working day and night because of their jobs. But, at the same time they've got a big connection of families that makes up a super family in which they can go and see. I teared up a little when I got to the part when they started crying. SNSD Fighting!!

Guest fallen*angel

That was so long, but It was so worth reading :]

maknae Seohyun’s piano solo or the super talented Hyoyeon’s powerful solo stage

can't wait for baby's piano perf & dancing queens crazy dance solo

I contacted the maknae Seohyun’s mother. She said that it has been over a month since she last saw her daughter who lives in a dormitory with the members.

woah a month? thats life, when your a kpop star lol the last time I saw my mom was

downstairs in the basement doing laundry like 10 min. ago hahaha

I found Tiffany in the waiting room and called, “FANY!” Then, surprisingly, Tiffany came running toward me and in one moment, gave me a big hug.

aw she gave him a hug, lucky PD lol

but SNSD also has rumors saying that they’re a loner, they don’t like each other, and they say bad things

wasnt it just Tiffany not the rest of the girls. lol

I cant wait for it to broadcast!

2 more weeks to go -.-"

Guest TaiTsuki

Eh whenever the topic of family or mothers come up with girl groups my heart always goes out to them.

Since girls tend to be closer to family, emotionally, than guys it must be hard on them.

Esp since some of the girls have such sad stories. I can only imagine how hard it was for Tiffany to see SeoHyun and her mother or hearing about mothers.

That is one thing I admire her for.

Guest SmILe8)

AW...this is so sweet and sad.

I started tearing up

But the tears really started falling

After I read what Tiffany said.

Guest mandapanda

^^ well the reading is hella worth it.

i already read this on soshified and was bawling T-T i wish i can witness the soshibond. its amazing how they can change how people view them instantly. these girls are more than amazing. fany, she's a strong girl~ i love her & i love the pdnim for posting this. <33333333333333333

Guest lilsh0rtnancy

Anybody with some sense would know that those rumors are lies after watching them interact with each other. Out of all the girl groups, I feel like they're the closest to each other and truly do look out for each other.

Guest kadfish

D: I don't get how people can hate them.

I really dislike it when people say that they're talentless and tries to act cute. -_-

Guest Burning Chopstick

That was a really good read. Thanks for sharing!

I always hear baseless claims about them being rude or ingenuine so it's nice to hear this sort of thing from a first-hand account~

Guest rozeng1122

It was hard for me to not sniff my nose while the tears began to fall from my own eyes, even as I was behind watching from behind the cameras. I am beginning to tear up again right now as I am honestly writing this. Because of this child, I felt so thankful, so happy, and so apologetic, and my heart broke. Fany… and kids… thank you, and sorry
i seriously love what fany said about the members. and now we can hear the true truefeelings from the girls and fany's thoughts about her mother. SNSD bond ftw!! haha

It is a given that an idol group will always be followed with gossip and malicious talk, but SNSD also has rumors saying that they’re a loner, they don’t like each other, and they say bad things. But from my experience, I can say for sure that those kinds of words are garbage that aren’t even worth considering.
....this is the greatest 'fan account`ever. like the girls are like family, sure many other idol groups say they are close like siblings too but i doubt their bond is as strong and real as snsd. they are just regular girls that don`t act like idols and do what they want to do. this show is a must watch for snsd and non-snsd alike.

Guest system_chaos

hahaha I'm at school right now in our study area and I cried hahaha. :( This was really touching. Thanks for this, Soy. :) I can't wait to watch this episode. :)

I can't believe I cried! What is wrong with me?

It's almost my time of the month anyway. I guess my emotions are turned up 10X. LOL

But seriously, even from just watching 1 minute videos of snsd, we can see that they love each other

so I don't get why these stupid rumors come up.

Guest Allison

Long read, but totally worth it. Thanks for posting it,
Soy

I cried while reading this. I can't imagine how much I'll cry when I actually watch it. I already know these girls are amazing and how strong of a bond they have, but after reading this...my love for the girls (particularly Fany) grew so much. Fany has always been one of my favorites. This fan-account shows exactly why. I love the SNSD bond. Really one of the strongest bonds between the idol groups out there.
They are a family

Guest *kyuhyunnie*

"There was an emphasis on the less recognized members, like the maknae Seohyun’s piano solo or the super talented Hyoyeon’s powerful solo stage"

Aww, I like how they are going to do that.

Even though, I started off not liking the group so much, but as times goes by, SNSD became one of my favorite girlgroups. Esp, threw the bad stuffs, I still like SNSD and learn how to not judge them very quickly.

Watching SNSD threw variety shows cause me to understand them more. If I compare them to other girlgroups, I think SNSD went threw a lot of hardships.

And the manager is very caring. He's sweet.

Guest yienyienyien

Gah, I cried T_T. I usually don't cry..what's wrong with me. I think all sones know how strong the bond is despite all the lame rumors. This show is going to be AMAZING, it's good the pd don't cut out Tiffany's part and it was so brave of her to do that. Chocolate PD deserves a thumbs up too for planning everything out. :D

Archived