Sm Entertainment - Global Auditions [2008]

Riri

Its finally here...
OKAY. The moment im sure you've all been waiting for, i present to you the 2008 SM Global auditions (all credits to SM Ent & site) [Mods- if you find anything wrong about this topic or if it is not allowed.. eh scold me ><]

Please read:

- I will update this first post on a regular basis

- If you have any further information please post it with a label saying [info] so that i can add it to the first post. or PM me.

- Detailed information is yet to be posted. If there is anything new it will be posted here

- Questions will be answered in 'FAQ'

- General information is from SM Entertainment and is therefore accurate according to the site, as for information regarding what happens in the auditions which are answered by other members or myself, this is not 100% accurate as we are basing this on knowledge from previous years. PM me or post if there is information which you believe is inaccurate

- Just a small mention: thankyou to other members for helping others out by answering questions and providing information ^^

- Lastly.. spazz! this is the chance you've all been preparing for!

Updates:

new! - There has been a change in applying for more than one category, please check it out. (FAQ)

new! - There has been a change in the registration system, please check it out.

(It no longer says that you can register on the day, so i would say, just to be safe register by email aswell)

new! - A 'FAQ' section has been added, please read and refer to before bombarding us with questions :lol:

08’ S.M. Entertainment Global Audition

“Stars of Asia will become the next Global Stars!”

We are looking for the talented that can stand on the stages of Asia and the world.

Hawaii, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Orange County(CA), New York, San Francisco,

Toronto, Vancouver

(September, ‘08 ~ October, ‘08)

sub_content_engdsf.gif

sub_content02_eng.gif

- FAQ

Can I apply in more than one category?

- Yes, infact the more the better, it shows that you have more skills and potential to offer to the company, in the industry alot more talent to sell. Even if you have one main strength, if you audition for other categories the judges may see further potential in you for other areas

^

this still applies, however there are mixed accounts that suggest time and other factors mean the judges will not give you the choice

Eg.

From my experience, you can't audition for more than one categories.

I went to the Sm Auditions in '06 aaaaand.. my friend wanted to model AND sing.

But....the judge said that you have to pick only one.

Sooooo yeah.

I think they said that because of the time shortage[?] and the huuuuuge line of people.

(thankyou for your post ^^)

so a revision:

Choose one main category and just prepare for others in case.

The advantageous choice would be singing, they can sort out potential in modeling and acting just by observing you while you sing or observing how you deal with the audition situation (how you control nerves etc.) and there is most likely a freestyle dance segment to show your skills there

Choosing between songwriting and singing - if you apply as a songwriter and sing on the song you composed in the demo then you can show off both ;)

BUT, if you choose your strength and it impresses, then they may ask you to show them other things aswell.

[does that sound logical? XD]

Do I have to audition infront of an audience?

- The judges and other auditionees in your group will be your audience. In a way, its a test, to be part of SM means you want to become an entertainer and the work that you do is always received by an audience

How many people audition at one time

From previous years, auditions take place inside a room where 5-10 auditionees will be in at any one time

The requirements say 'Asian', does this mean if im not Asian i will not be able to attend?

- No, even if you are not Asian you will still be able to participate in the auditions, they will not deny you the opportunity. Just be aware of the situation and the fact that they are looking for Asians but it give it a try, you never know

Can I audition more than once? What if I already auditioned last year or in the previous years?

- If you can get to each of the venues then you can audition more than once in any of the location, one audition for each location. If you auditioned last year or any other year you can still audition this year

Do the auditions require dancing?

- You audition according to your application however, the understanding from previous years of auditions is that there will be a time where the judges will give the all the auditionees a chance to freestyle to some music the judges have organised, everyone dances at the same time. For this you do not have to dance but it is beneficial as this can show the judges how capable you are in impromptu situations (which can be important for acting), your stage presence in movement (whether you stand out from the rest, have confidence etc.) and your ability to follow a basic rhythm and Keep in time (rhythm is important not only in dance but in music too)

Difference between 'nationality' and 'current nationality'

- My understanding is that Nationality/ Ethnicity is what country your from such as Korean and current nationality means which country are you a citizen of. This is here as there may be international auditionees.

Eg.

2. Nationality/ Ethnicity: Korean

3. Current Nationality / City (among 8 cities): American + what city you are auditioning in.

As long as you have the 3 main components included in your email. (ethnicity, citizenship, city of audition)

How many songs should I prepare?/ Song selection

prepare at least 2-3 songs, they may ask you to sing another song after you sing your first song (at the 1st audition) this will usually mean that they want you to sing a song that shows another part of your range and ability. So choose songs that show your range or choose to sing a song that is in a high register and another that is in a lower register. Or songs that use different techniques from each other.

As for callbacks or impromptu 2nd auditions do not sing the same song twice, unless you feel you have made a clear and strong improvement from your first audition. Singing the same song twice indrectly tells the judges that your voice is restricted to that range or style or that you are playing it safe.

Will they have auditions in other countries? Eg. Malaysia, Thailand etc.

So far there has been no announcement for auditions to take place in other countries. US and Canada are usually the first places auditions are held so there may be announcements later on.

Sing without MR and microphone?

All singers will be singing acapella and without a mic at the auditions

Registration?

The site, before used to say that auditionees could register on the day as they've been able to for the past years, however the site has changed and has the email registration as the only option, so send in an email registration just in case.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest minnilu

how can they call it global audition when they're only going to the US & Canada???? *argh*...

well... good luck for those who are going ^___^

Guest chuubasa

OMG! I was soo shocked! Im gunna have to practice even harder now >.<. How many songs do we have to prepare? Like approximately

Guest burntwaffles

so much for 'global' auditions. :(

oh well. just wondering... if i'm not residing in those areas... is it possible to apply/audition through email?

thanks!

oh ya! and good luck to anyone who's going to audition! :D

Guest inn0c3nt_ang3l

OMG!

finally some info but they not coming to Atlanta so..i can't go!

sucks..

but uhm..good luck to evryone who is going!

Archived