Asian skin, red/dark post acne marks.(pics) Home rememdies?

Guest SLEEK_SUSHI

Guest happy.life

Some home remedies: lemon or apple cider vinegar.
(If you google these for skincare, there will be tons of sites that say how to use these ingredients are treatment)

If you are able to, try going to the dermatologist and maybe he/she can prescribe you medication to lighten the marks. Vitamin A creams like Retin-A or tretinoin are good for lightening scars, preventing acne and anti-aging. Hope this helps at least a little!

Guest JenniKim319

I too, suffer from a lot of red marks and spots due to really bad cystic acne (just last year). 
I honestly do not have any natural remedies to help but if you have the money, I would really recommend you go to a dermatologist and have treatments done to reduce the scarring and redness, such as facial peels, lasers, etc. They really do help but it's costly and takes a many months to see results. 
I'm sorry I couldn't help much, but for someone who had marks like that as well on my face and someone who understands the frustration of wanting to lessen post acne marks, I would invest the money to have a professional due lasers and peels. It saves a lot on the stress and self-consciousness about the spots.
Good luck though, I'll keep up with this thread since I'm curious as well to know some remedies or treatments that others have done to lighten their post acne scars. 

Guest sweetfantasy09

I too suffered from post acne marks, which drive me crazy! Even though my conditions aren't as bad as yours, trust me, I do know how that feels. I hate it!!

I have tried home remedies such as apple cider vinegar, lemon or even that mung bean yoghurt mask. None worked for me. Perhaps I am not persistent enough? I remember my skin reacted badly at mung beans even though I can consume it without any allergic reaction. hehe!

I tried kojic acid soap and it helps to lighten skin and the marks a lot! Been using that on and off for 2 years now. I started off by using it everyday (twice a day) for 6 months, then reduced it to once a day. After 8th month or so, I have reduced it to a few times a week only. Now.. I am using it only once a week or whenever I need some whitening maintenance. lol I don't want to use it too often now as i don't know in the long run, what will it do to my fragile skin.

I used to use that.. vitamin B cream that was raved by many ppl at one time. I also feel that helped a little; however after one tube of using, I have stopped using it.

2 years ago, I have started a routine with this ion's machine. I am using HABA's white lady with their ion-my-esthe. This machine works to pump in white lady (vitamin C whitening serum) deep into your skin layer, whitening skin inside out. I truly feel my skin is so much brighten and whiten every time I finished using it. As time goes by, I feel that the maintenance is quite troublesome for me. LOL! I have stopped purchasing their white lady and so it has been a while I didn't use it anymore. However, I want to start with that regimen again because I think it really works to whiten and brighten my skin inside out.

Recently (just 2 months ago), I came across this Australian natural product call moogoo. I have been using their acne cleansing cream since 2 months ago. I read reviews and many people said it's really good for their skin, cleared up acne and all. So, I am eager to try plus it's not overly expensive. So, I bought it and tried. Before and after pictures.. some friends told me that it does make a difference but a friend told me the angle and lighting aren't the same. i have tried my best possible to capture same angles and lighting, i have never changed anything.. still took it in my room around the same time. so, you judge.

I am still using moogoo right now because I haven't finish that tube yet. I still get occasional breakout and i find that my acne heal faster by using moogoo. I have stopped using skinoren for my acne completely.

Before moogoo
img1849uy.jpg

img1850qa.jpg

After moogoo

img1851l.jpg

img1852mx.jpg

Aside from the tips mentioned, you can also try washing your face daily with oatmeal after your actual cleanser (think of it more as a "treatment" than an actual cleanser). I had odd rashes and red post-acne marks on my face a few years ago and used oatmeal for 2 weeks and my marks and rashes cleared up very nicely.

But as with all natural home remedies, the results are very slow so I would also recommend that you either turn to your dermatologist again or look for any dark spot correcting products. Olay has a new Pro-X Even Tone serum and Loreal's Youth Code has a dark spot corrector that I used before and it's pretty good (I had to use 2 entire bottles to start seeing real results though), or you can turn to higher brands.

Also, one more thing is that Asian skin is notorious for being sensitive to hyperpigmentation, and with any correcting treatment (or acne treatment that you are using), you need to be wearing at least SPF 30 every single day. I'm saying this because I know a lot of people using acne products or brightening products and they do not wear any SPF at all (some depend on their makeup, which is an absolute no)...no SPF or inadequate SPF can worsen acne and red marks. I'm sure your dermatologist has told you to wear sunscreen, so just keep that in mind. Just a friendly reminder :)

Good luck though. Your skin's been improving from those pictures, so stay hopeful.

Hey! I have the same problem. I recommend the following:
- Using a retinoid (you can start out with Differin if you have sensitive skin and make your way up). It also helps to prevent further acne breakouts and with the increase in cell turn-over, it helps to produce collagen that works long-term against aging.
- Using a glycolic acid (such as AHA) to get rid of old skin cells. Acne.org AHA is personally my favourite.
- DO NOT PICK at anything on your face
- WEAR A SUNSCREEN when you are leaving the house
I personally prefer Differin as it has made a huge impact on acne and hyperpigmentation for me. However, it took 12 weeks to see the full results. Here's a before and after. 
Before Differin:
2ross9g.jpg

After Differin:
35au5jb.jpg
I posted my full review on makeupalley and can be found here: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/userreviews.asp?u=missxannaa
Good luck!

Second the AHA recommendation, I would recommend lactic acid over glycolic acid though. Peels would probably give you the quickest results. I use a makeup remover and night moisturizer that both have small amounts of lactic acid, it's been really, really helpful in fading old marks and preventing new ones from lasting as long. I've tried 30% glycolic peels and I think lactic acid works better for me.
You should be wearing sunscreen every day anyway, but if you do go the acid route, DO NOT SKIP SUNSCREEN. EVER. The acid will make your skin more susceptible to the sun's damage.

Guest chloesophie

I have a few DIY masks on my youtube channel. They all worked well for me (or else they wouldn't be up!)
-check signature-

• 1 year later...
Guest Jen-Yan HeleneK

a bit late on replying...dont know if your face is better...im still in the same shoes as u. red marks.

i started drinking a spoon of undistilled apple cider vinegar with a big glass of water every day

applying twice day a mask on the red marks . aloe vera or honey or whitening ones.

apply also avene whitening essence and serum and caudalie radiance serum twice a day.

changing my diet totally. no dairy if possible. no alcohol fried seafood chocolate. eat loads of veggies. work out a lot. it takes time but i hope will be perfect again.

i got an explosion of acne after a trip to korea. did go to a dermatologist who only offered me laser which for me is a no go. so he gave me creams sunscreen. a lot of things that u can buy on your own in beauty shops. but im happy now that my face is not exploding anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neiva103

Hi I usually mix some honey and sugar together as a scrub then rinse it off with warm. And try use baking soda and water then mix it put it on the acne (not the face) waitl till 10 min rinse it off with warm water. Hope this useful ^ ^

Archived