Forum Launch FAQ

melkimx

Hi Soompiers,

We've been going through your input and noticing some common questions, so we decided to create a quick FAQ to eliminate some confusion. Before asking a question, check here to see that your issue hasn't already been addressed. Thanks!

Why can't I use tags like and ?

Those are what's referred to as BBcode tags, and basically, they are no longer supported (for the most part). When we switched to Vanilla, we had to make the decision to support either HTML or BBcode (because using both causes a host of problems that none of us want to see); ultimately, we decided to go for HTML because we feel it's more standard and compatible with long-term modern solutions (i.e., BBcode isn't used very much these days).

We are sympathetic to the troubles you may experience during this transition period, and we are taking measures to minimize them. For example, the Vanilla folks are trying to enable the tag for those of you who dislike pressing the "insert image" button and pasting in the URL. (However, it should be noted that you can click the "source code" button and just enter the HTML directly, which is almost the same thing.) And also, we are providing formatting for all old posts created using BBcodes, so in theory, the posts you created before the site launch should look the same today as they did back in the day. There are still some updates that need to be made, so please be patient if you're wanting to see your old posts reformatted!

How can I browse anonymously?

http://forums.soompi.com/profile/online

How do I access the last read post of a thread? Before, there was a little square icon you could click to see the last post.

Now, you can access the last read post simply by clicking the thread link. If you wish to access the first page of the thread, you can click the appropriate page number.

How can I get my username changed?

For the time being, all username changes are on hold. We realize that people with non-alphanumeric characters in their usernames may have display issues, and we will address these as soon as we resume doing username changes. We apologize for the inconvenience!

You may have noticed that there is an option to change your display name. Please do not use it -- it won't "break" anything, but it may cause us some trouble when we fix the system.

How do I report spam and/or bashing posts to the moderators?

When you hover at the bottom post, you should see some buttons appear, including a flag button on the left. Click it to see an option menu to mark a post as spam or abuse.

Someone flagged my post when there was nothing wrong with it!

Because Soompi has a very large community, there will be a very small subset of people who are bound to flag posts incorrectly, either by clicking haphazardly or by misunderstanding the intent of the flag function. Incorrectly flagged posts will be reviewed by the moderators at a later time and approved as necessary. Vanilla does offer a strange feature in which members are able to see which of their posts got flagged. We have asked the developers to remove this feature.

How do I see whether a thread has been read or not?

- If you've never read a certain thread before, it will be bold and fully opaque.
- If you've read a thread before, but there are new posts, you'll see the yellow "#X new" tag.
- If you've read a thread before, and there are no new posts, it will be semi-transparent/"grayed out.”

Where is multiquote?

It’s not titled as such, but each time you click the quote button, it copies the comment into your textbox.

Can we format our posts, like changing the font size and color?

Yes! It now works correctly.

Where is the post preview?

Because we now support direct editing, what you see in the text box should be the final product. Therefore there is no need for post preview.

Where are the post URLs? Before, they were accessible by clicking the number in the top-right corner of the post.

Post URLs can be accessed by right-clicking the link icon at the top-left corner of the post, and selecting "copy link address" or whatever variation your browser uses.

Can we get back the page jump feature?

The Vanilla folks are considering creating the feature for us! In the meantime, you can access a certain page by adding "/p#" to the end of the URL, where # is the number of the page that you want to view.

How can I edit the member title?

As of right now, you can't. We have spoken with Vanilla and asked them to provide member title editing. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

How can I delete my posts?

We never supported post deletion before, and we still don't. If you absolutely need a post to be deleted, you can do what most members do and edit your post to remove the content, or you can ask a moderator to get rid of it for you.

There's a member whose posts I don't want to see. What happened to the ignore/block feature?

We are working on restoring it. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Where are the blogs, cafes, and fan clubs?

We apologize for the lack of these features. The answer for each is different:

- Fan clubs are currently under construction. Look for a new and improved version coming soon!
- The cafe function is essentially still there on your profile, but is no longer referred to as “cafe.”
- The blogs, alas, have been discontinued due to lack of resources and popularity (i.e., we would have rebuilt them if more members had used them). Those of you who maintained blogs on Soompi and are interested in recovering your information, please send an email to support@soompi.com.

That's all for now. Thanks for your patience, and more updates to come!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yoyo

i'm confused with the new set up. How can I like an article/post?

When you hover your mouse over a post, there should be four options: Promote, Insightful, Awesome, LOL

That's the new 'like' system :)

Guest mylchris

hmmm i'm kinda lost in the new setting...where can i find thr feature to search for members with user name of email accnt?

Guest bunnydays

I'm really comfused is there a shortcut to see if I got any messages besides clicking on my own profile to see it?

[quote name='"sakki ^_^;25005601"]ah-um' date=' how do it edit my siggie? i can't seem to find the button for it . . . thanks!!! [/quote']

http://forums.soompi.com/profile/signature

You can find this if you click on your username at the top of the forums. (Edit profile)

Guest graceyoon

^ i think the Edit Profile link on the profile page is gone because of the yellow message box

the direct link works but the link on the profile page is missing for now

^ i think the Edit Profile link on the profile page is gone because of the yellow message box

the direct link works but the link on the profile page is missing for now

I mean the black bar on top of the page. You'll see "Logged in as Username."

Guest johananv.

I can't create a new thread, but I've already posted more than 3 posts ... so ... why is that?

Guest HERMIT

Is there still the option where I can view threads I posted in? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If you click into your profile, you should see a link listed under your avatar/profile picture titled "POSTS" (with your post total listed to the right).

Click on that and it will take you to a screen listing your most recent posts with links to the threads in which you posted them in.

Guest luna1430278013

but one thing.... when someone quotes u it doesn't notify you unless they write @ username ....

wish they change that ...and notify when someone quotes you !!!!!!!!

Guest luna1430278013

oh thanks soompi for clearing some things up ... hope the changes will come soon ...i like the new format so much ..congrats and fighting !! ^^

Guest mlovesk

I can't create a new thread' date=' but I've already posted more than 3 posts ... so ... why is that? [/quote']

^^ I would also like to know this... :-?

And @ouna, this is completely off topic, but I just want to say this:

Hngh, Jung Yong Hwa <3 :D

Archived