- P L A G I A R I S M -

Guest Saranghae012

Guest Saranghae012

please read this important announcement.
Plagiarism:

"the unauthorized use or close imitation of another person's ideas and/or a part of their work and the representation of them as one's own original work"

Hello everyone. I know everyone is aware of the recent post about stolen artwork, right? I hope we can stop things like that, and be able to have people post their artwork without being afraid of it being stolen.

There have been many issues about plagiarized work recently, and imitations of others' works as well. Some people may be genuinely unaware that what they are doing is wrong, so I hope we can clear this up.

For one issue,

ex1sy9.jpg

person 1

ex2mj7.jpg

person 2

You notice anything similar about these graphics?

Using someone else's work as a texture in your graphic is NOT okay. The artist worked hard on his/her graphic to make that effect. Simply taking it and using it as your own without permission seems wrong doesn't it? You wouldn't want everyone's graphics looking the same.

Another big issue I would like to clear up is the problem with "inspiration". Some people are taking others' works and passing them off as their own, simply stating they were "inspired" by so and so. How would you feel if everytime you posted, you were scared that someone was just going to imitate your works again? I don't want people here to have to be afraid of posting because of such reasons. Let us respect each other and learn that it's not right to just take anything. Sure, you can look up to an artist and be inspired by them but being inspired and copying are different things. We don't want people using the exact same effects as another person along with the same text style too, right?

I would like to pre-warn everyone at this moment. If it comes to my attention that you are plagiarizing other people's works & blatantly copying them, you WILL be warned. Depending on the situation, other actions may take place as well. If you are aware of anyone doing such actions, please PM me and let me know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Edit: Please PM Jaeho instead.

I also would like to take this time to remind people that spamming will not be tolerated & do not try to bypass the swearing filter. These will also lead to a warning.

Thank you for listening and your time. Let's try to make this a nice and friendly place where we don't need to feel a sense of worry when posting our works. <3

- Artwork Mod. Thank you to Aziraphale for help as well!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sweetREDEMPTION.

I totally agree with all this. However, I'm curious as to how the warning is going to work.

So an artist is going to be warned for imitating someone elses' work? Because to me, "filtering" is so over-rated these days.

I've seen a LOT of banners that look the same with the same filtering or similar filtering style.

Or are you talking about actual imitations of "styles". [Like CC's can be very unique and it's obvious when a new style of CC is produced, then copied.]

[The example you provided is soooo true. Using someone's graphic as a texture? That's wrong..]

Guest Saranghae012

^ Yeah i agree. It's just if it comes to the point where people confuse it for another member's work because it's SO similar in nearly every little way & i get many complaints, i may need to take action.

Guest espèce*

I agree with what JACKiEBOO just said. Filtering thing is just so overated these days and same with CC's styles.

First off with filtering thing; let say this person has been "inspired" by someone and create her own stuff without using other's people as textures. But the problem is that it's similiar to the "inspiration source"...how can mods warn them when the filtering style can variate so much?

CC's styles...for me, I don't have the hardest time to see what has been copied, but then just because someone comes out with a new thing to do such as ...we say gradient and other start to take after too. What I mean is that someone doesn't own a specific "new thing to do on CC"; as long as other do something different then it would be alright. It would be hard to warn too.

It's very hard to say if a person copies other or not because everbody has different opinions. This originality thing is very difficult to say; for some artists you just can say that they are original...some = not so much.

Oh yeah...should we report to you when we see someone re-produces other's works?

- apoptos dolor

Guest touche`

wow.. I'm proud that YOU are the mod for this forum. XD~ but I must be happy that I cannot filter at all..

Guest yumi-chan

*sigh* finally~! I'm tired of this forum already, almost everyone's works looks the fdjkghjf same, it's hard to find originality now days. -__- ; thank you chelly for pinning this topic <3 I hope this whole copying thing stops ( even though it's still happening now ^^;; )

--Yumi

Guest satisfaction!

^I agree with Yumi and Jackie!

Originality here... has gotten... :unsure: these days..

I've been wanting to get this out of my chest for the longest time!

Seeing filtering has been driving me CRAZY! (except for starlette*, Chelly, and a few other original creators/users of this style).

Ironically, I've been filtering myself but not to the extent where it has become my official "style" & I use it every single time claiming (not that I've encountered any yet) that it's my own style.

bleh, I dont know.

Anyways, thanks Chelly for making this pinned topic :)

-Jessica

gosh, people who copy just don't get the point of graphic design...

but then, why can people copy?

basically, I think have an example could help...like having a goal..and try to learn through imitating?

is that not allowed?

For me, I could care less if someone copied me, it not exactly "MY" style, it's more like a style I created being inspired by everything around me...previous works that I respect...that doesn't mean I am plagiarising

I dont like how people claim that their style is "THEIRS", becuase most cases it was inspired

I think it's wrong to claim other people's work, but I don't think it's wrong to try to imitate a style..

if everyone was like YOU CANT COPY..creativity and imagination will be limited..without these things, where's "art" going to come from?

I had to get that out of my system 0of stupidity..*waits for people to throw cupcakes*

Guest Soy

lala chelly, and this is why you are amazing.

the thing about soompi to me, is that its all about filter, i love filters .. to be honest, i wish i could make the stuff that you guys make, its amazing what a simple filter can do to a poster or banner, but i cant, but then again im kinda glad i cant because everyone nowadays seem to filter, filter, filter, and why make something .. when you can request it right ?

the one thing about soompi that i want to keep is, that the creators can go on and make their stuff without having to put little "subtext" of their names on the art pieces, thats what soompi is known for, and i want to keep it that way. its such a nice carefree community and i hope no one else takes advantage of it

:)

Guest Amuse

*not suppose to be online*

The 'originality' part doesn't really exist in reality. Like people say that it's original but other people will eventually "copy" the style/creation. That issue can't be helped because people still do it. I think "copying" is somewhat like being "inspired" like what espèce* said. Sure, people will get angry when they see their work being copied or imitated in a sort of way but again - that cannot be helped. I don't think people who copy should be warned or whatever. Just only those who uses other people's work as textures and claiming that they flitered or whatever their excuse is.

It is very hard to tell if someone copied or made up that style from pure imagination/bordem. Like let's say, person A has a new way of making banners look like paper-ish (I know, weird example but yeah). Person B - who is totally bored, never seen person A's new "style", found some paper textures and just played with PS and voila! Paper-styled banners! <--- Most people will believe that person B copied off person A's new style.

That's just an example. *shrugs*

--Carol

Guest the kite

Thanks Chelly.

I was just making some 'Imitation is Suicide' graphics.

We can make a campaign~!

Rofl~ XD XD

Guest twist&fall-

sometimes i couldn't stand seeing others sort of copy one's style.

im not pointing fingers and i shouldn't be saying this but yeah. like what carol said. at times, people

just didn't know they did the same thing as the other one and so others

might think he/she is copying, whatsoever.

aish i dont know what im trying to say.

im pure dead right now. [ from exam ] @_____@~

but thanks chelly for coming up with this topic!<3

i just wish for those who copied would stop OR at least, don't make filterings

or whatever it is noticable till they have to get warned and that's not a pleasant thing.

Guest Saranghae012

i will not wrongfully warn someone without hearing them out & without some slight evidence. i will ask for their side of the story as well & give them the benefit of the doubt. i'm talking about the overall copied styles... not just snips here & there. i have received several complaints in this area & it's affecting the forum. unless you are staring at someones work trying to figure out & copy each & every thing (text style, placements, same effects, etc) & then post it like you came up with it, you have nothing to worry about. i'd talk to you & the other person before giving the warning. it's not like warning people is something i enjoy doing. please keep that in mind.

Guest suicidal_glamour

*not suppose to be online*

It is very hard to tell if someone copied or made up that style from pure imagination/bordem. Like let's say, person A has a new way of making banners look like paper-ish (I know, weird example but yeah). Person B - who is totally bored, never seen person A's new "style", found some paper textures and just played with PS and voila! Paper-styled banners! <--- Most people will believe that person B copied off person A's new style.

That's just an example. *shrugs*

--Carol

i agree. it's hard to tell when people are copying. it would just be pure co-incidence. This is half the reason why i dont post my graphics on here anymore (other half... lazy, school, lazy :P)

But overall thanks for posting this up and letting everyone about the issue~

Guest starlette*

you guys shouldn't be too hard on chelly, she is only trying to keep this forum an enjoyable & creative place to be around.

adding to what you guys have all said, of course it's very hard to judge or warn those who copy because it's a hard thing to prove since this is art and it's not easy to justify plagarism when it comes down to art form itself. but some things these days are out of control and i think at times (certain) people do try to immitate other styles intentionally, and this is frustrating to many artists b/c it makes them lose inspriation while driving them to hesistate (or cease) posting any artwork at all.

that's all i have to say about this.

thanks chelly for bringing forth this topic/thread.

Guest hibarney!

thx Chelly for posting this up.

I've seen this happen in other place where ppl start being way too picky about copying until the place become a mess because everyone start gossiping and bashing.

Hopefully it won't happen here in soompi.

All artist have great original style and I suggest all of us will keep it our way ^____^.

Guest Geenia

yeah...thank you for posting it up.

i felt srry for the people that being copied by other people as well.

but i never seen one i soompi yet though . .

well, if there's one i haven't seen it.

and let's hope i won't.

i think its better to have my own privilage work

than have other peoples' work on thw graphic that i'm making.

Archived