[drama 2007] I Hate You, But It's Fine 미우나 고우나

Guest shorty_babygurl03

Apart from acknowledge of BH's status, I'm still disappointed with the "happy ending" for everyone including pig and evil SJ. :angry: SJ is the most evil character in daily drama but the ending's just like that. I'd rather see him died. I know it seems cruel but can't help myself. -_-

But I'm glad, this thread still moving. It helps me a lot coz really miss DanBaek. :mellow:

Look like we're not the only one who didn't like the ending <_< .

May 3, 2008

"Likable or Not" Excitement with a reason.. and emptiness

20080503080658430c4_081211_0.jpg

KBS daily drama "Likable or Not", which had ratings up to 40%, ended on the 2nd.

This drama started with the intention to rethink the true meaning of family through the story of a remarried family from different bloodlines, backgrounds, and moral values.

But in the last episode, Baek-ho's (Kim Ji-seok) secret of his birth was revealed, and that purpose faded, leaving emptiness behind.

All the characters rounded off with forgiveness and reconciliation, and it couldn't escape the conventional aspects of the daily drama, which was pointed out as a limitation.

Even with the limitations of birth and the narrow-minded development, "Likable or Not" had record ratings and received love from viewers.

The first reason it was so popular was that the solving of the problems put in suspense in the storyline.

All the characters were involved in opposing forces, good and evil, ability and disability, and love and betrayal, and these caused problems that remained faithful to essential elements of a drama.

However, there was something lacking to make Dan-poong (Han Ji-hye) and Baek-ho's love story the core of the problems.

But the channel also played a part in this drama's popularity. It is a habitual anticipation for the drama that airs before the 9 pm news program.

It seems that the viewing patterns of KBS daily dramas are becoming settled. Through successes with "Bizarre Bunch", "Hearts of Nineteen", and "By Land and Sky", an inspection of its popularity is possible.

The excellent performances by the actors also become a driving force for its popularity. Older actors, such as Kim Yeong-wook, Kim Hae-sook, and Lee Jeong-gil, and younger actors like Han Ji-hye, Jo Dong-hyeok, Yoo In-yeong, and Lee Young-eun, also account for the rise of ratings.

But after the last episode aired, viewers took a negative view about its dramatic happy ending.

As daily dramas usually have happy endings, it seems the viewers are criticizing the far-fetched situation.

Original Korean article at kr.news.yahoo.com

English translation by www.hancinema.net

Thanks so much for this. it makes sense now why granny wuld have Donji declare in writing thatBH would have no rights to any of the family's wealth and status. that just makes DJ more of an a_ _! How could she think of throwing away her son's rightful inheritance over pride and/or stupidity. :tongue2: It also makes granny an even bigger jerk. If she was so concerned about the family wealth she should have just disapproved the marriage. Although I think at this point MS would have married her anyway.

Now we know who BH got his stupidity traits from!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"New law takes on patriarchal family system

Korea's male-oriented family system will meet significant changes beginning Jan. 1 next year, following the controversial abolishment of the age-old patriarchal family headship known as "hoju."

Thank you sumz1 for this very informative and interesting article. Information such as this helps to understand the various actions taken (or lack there of) within a drama.

I can't wait to see what the writers will do with the new law. It would be interesting to watch a story base on those who 'fall through the crack' and how the overcome the situation.

Guest uni33

Apart from acknowledge of BH's status, I'm still disappointed with the "happy ending" for everyone including pig and evil SJ. :angry: SJ is the most evil character in daily drama but the ending's just like that. I'd rather see him died. I know it seems cruel but can't help myself. -_-

But I'm glad, this thread still moving. It helps me a lot coz really miss DanBaek. :mellow:

I agree with you completely. I understand with every korean drama there is some kind of suspension of reality but the fact the SJ gets to be welcomed back into the fold with no acknowledgement of the suffering he has put everyone through is just ridiculous. I guess his parents accept him back after he served his time but how does he reconcile with BH? He was such a jerk to BH and he should at least apologize to him and acknowledge what a jerk he was but where was that scene?!? Also, I think Sua was awful in the drama but at least she grew up a little bit, she goes back to SJ and wants to start over and apologizes for never loving him or trusting him...honestly, why would she?? He never gave her any reason to trust him and why doesn't he apologize to her for marrying her for her money, meeting with his ex-girlfriend, almost ruining her father's company, or at the very least, wanting her father to stay in the coma?!? What a disappointing ending, all the other stuff I'm okay with but SJ-what a total rip-off. I'm okay with Granny not getting her comeuppance, the fact that she was the instrument of her own suffering-i.e. not being able to raise her only and eldest grandson is suffering enough for me.

Guest elainecruz63

Look like we're not the only one who didn't like the ending <_< .

I am glad that the forum is moving forward, even though the show has ended 2 weeks ago. I am so glad were not the only ones whoes who think that the ending was ridiculous. EVerybody forgiven, everybody reconciled! We have been screaming to the writers before the show ended what happened to DANBAEK who was supposed to be lead actors! Danpung became a supporting actress with fewer lines!

The writers have cheated us with 100 episodes of waiting for Danbaek to be a couple, gave us 10 episodes of Danbaek and that's it. Back to Sj and SA!

The acting of the actors compensated for the inferior writing! As it seems a lot of people agreed to do this!

Well, i guess this is what daily drama is! What about to make up for it they make a drama of the struggles of Danbaek. just like that the show of Lucy. That would be great!!! :D

I agree with you completely. I understand with every korean drama there is some kind of suspension of reality but the fact the SJ gets to be welcomed back into the fold with no acknowledgement of the suffering he has put everyone through is just ridiculous. I guess his parents accept him back after he served his time but how does he reconcile with BH? He was such a jerk to BH and he should at least apologize to him and acknowledge what a jerk he was but where was that scene?!? Also, I think Sua was awful in the drama but at least she grew up a little bit, she goes back to SJ and wants to start over and apologizes for never loving him or trusting him...honestly, why would she?? He never gave her any reason to trust him and why doesn't he apologize to her for marrying her for her money, meeting with his ex-girlfriend, almost ruining her father's company, or at the very least, wanting her father to stay in the coma?!? What a disappointing ending, all the other stuff I'm okay with but SJ-what a total rip-off. I'm okay with Granny not getting her comeuppance, the fact that she was the instrument of her own suffering-i.e. not being able to raise her only and eldest grandson is suffering enough for me.

I agree, there should have been some type of apology to BH. Afterall, he beat the crap out of BH and belittled him at every opportunity. Although, I think his treatment of BH was more because of 1.) BH's initial treatment when JY attempted suicide; 2.) his feeling that, MS really loved BH and held him in higher esteem, so he had to make him look bad to granny and SA; and, his jealousy over BH's ability to get people to like him. I saw no real redemption n him. Even his crying in the jail cell over SA was not because she went to Paris. His one true love then and after was JY. He cried because JY had already told him that she was going to the states wuth WJ. He was just feeling sorry for himself. You can tell when he see's JY after 2 years that he still loves her and seeing her pregnant with WJ's child was eating him up. The man was a bum and did not suffer enough. The drama should have continued a little longer so that we could see his decline and BH's rise over a period of time. At least see some real remorse, not everyone jumping for joy as if welcoming the prodigal son. :tongue2:

Elaine you read my mind. I was thinking about how they could make a drama bout DANBAEK moving out and trying to raise their child while both working. Could you imagine BH trying to change diapers or the clumsiness of DP. I think it would be hilarious as I can see granny coming up with a nanny, BH accepting her and DP throwing her out, ala her father and the maid.

Guest Geez

yup.. they should pun this drama longer! the ending kinda in a hurry... they should make it longer..

1.) is Baekho and MS know whether BH is really MS's son??

2.) How would BH respond to it??

3.) Is granny/DJ going to tell about it to the family??

4.) When is BH n DP going to register their marriage??

Guest Flowers

Where do you guys download this drama?

I used to use clubbox but all of credeisca's 3 clubboxes are not updated.. nor are the ones on the first page of this thread!

I'm watching up veoh and youtube but its such bad quality and on youtube, they only have the cuts with BH and DP..

Where do u download your high quality versions?

Guest 1234

HEY GUYS SOMEONE UPLOAD THE REMAINING EPISODE IN CRUNCHYROLL

THE EPISODES ARE NIT YET FINISH IN CRUNCHYROLL

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Elaine you read my mind. I was thinking about how they could make a drama bout DANBAEK moving out and trying to raise their child while both working. Could you imagine BH trying to change diapers or the clumsiness of DP. I think it would be hilarious as I can see granny coming up with a nanny, BH accepting her and DP throwing her out, ala her father and the maid.

Yeah...it'll be a good idea. Watching DanBaek with their kids, I wonder how the kids looks like. Do they inherite "BH's stupidity", DanBaek "special" smile? Or maybe DanBaek will be violated by their own children :lol:

I think it's DanBaek chemistry that helped the show's rating but it's pity their excellent actings were ruined by poor script <_<

What a disappointing ending, all the other stuff I'm okay with but SJ-what a total rip-off. I'm okay with Granny not getting her comeuppance, the fact that she was the instrument of her own suffering-i.e. not being able to raise her only and eldest grandson is suffering enough for me.

I agree with you. After I watched granny witch's tears when she got the DNA result, I think she already got her karma. Her regrets not being able with her own grandson for all these years and always mock at him...it's quite enough for me although she didn't say sorry for what she did to BH.

Oh yeah, does anyone realize that KJS/BH is more handsome with glasses, especially when BH in his new office as planning director :P

Well not everyone forgives him. It's not like JY's father invites him over for soju or the chemist dude gives him a big hug. The people who forgive him are his ex(future) wife and family. It's easy to judge things from a Western perspective but keep an open mind and remember that this is drama based on Confucian (korean) values. I guess you could have SJ say some crap like in america about being sorry which he might or might not mean but in Asia actions speak louder than words. Going to the countryside is a traditional means of attonement in asian culture, the writers having SJ working at that farm is a way to clearly demonstrate that SJ has changed. It's not like he's not lost anything. I mean first of all HE WENT TO JAIL. That's a literal payment to society right there, then he had to give up everything that he wanted-- his career and power-- so actually SJ went through a lot of character growth and change. Plus throughout the show it's not in his nature to do a lot of explaining... throughout the drama he was a very taciturn and reserved character and wouldnt talk about his feelings or being sorry... it'd be inconsistent for the writers to put a big emotional scene in there with him spilling his guts. in short he's a very masculine (although unsympathetic) character so he doesn't do a lot of talking and jiving

as for the grandmother, I'm not sure she really deserves comeuppance. I think the only problem she is really portrayed as having in the drama is the headache of a spoiled brat for a granddaughter and a low class (albeit high-minded) DIL. other than that she's living large and has done fine throughout her long richard simmons life. from a confucian perspective all she's doing is protecting her family. sure she does a lot of yelling but in asian culture there's nothing wrong with yelling at people unless they're older than you or have more status. grandma is at the top so she can yell at anyone and ride em to sunday if she wants. same deal with SY's father. a lot of readers think he's supposed to be a "bad" character because he yells so much but he's actually written as a very righteous (actually unrealistically righteous) character. he only yells at his kids and wife, and when he does it's only to correct faults they have. he's annoying from a western perspective because some asian dude going around yelling is very unappealing but both grandma and SY's father represent authority and legitimacy in family and society respectively in this drama. IMO this is also the reason why the writers dont explicitly say whether grandma tells everyone about the DNA test. she's the top of the family and therefore the most important thing is that she knows... BH's father would love him either way but grandma as the ultimate ancestor knowing makes BH "legit" and it really doesn't matter who else knows or does not know. assuming she didn't tell him and the drama went on she'd definitely tell him on her death bed-- the next "head" of the family would then know... on his deathbed he'd tell BH etc

Well not everyone forgives him. It's not like JY's father invites him over for soju or the chemist dude gives him a big hug. The people who forgive him are his ex(future) wife and family. It's easy to judge things from a Western perspective but keep an open mind and remember that this is drama based on Confucian (korean) values. I guess you could have SJ say some crap like in america about being sorry which he might or might not mean but in Asia actions speak louder than words. Going to the countryside is a traditional means of attonement in asian culture, the writers having SJ working at that farm is a way to clearly demonstrate that SJ has changed. It's not like he's not lost anything. I mean first of all HE WENT TO JAIL. That's a literal payment to society right there, then he had to give up everything that he wanted-- his career and power-- so actually SJ went through a lot of character growth and change. Plus throughout the show it's not in his nature to do a lot of explaining... throughout the drama he was a very taciturn and reserved character and wouldnt talk about his feelings or being sorry... it'd be inconsistent for the writers to put a big emotional scene in there with him spilling his guts. in short he's a very masculine (although unsympathetic) character so he doesn't do a lot of talking and jiving

as for the grandmother, I'm not sure she really deserves comeuppance. I think the only problem she is really portrayed as having in the drama is the headache of a spoiled brat for a granddaughter and a low class (albeit high-minded) DIL. other than that she's living large and has done fine throughout her long richard simmons life. from a confucian perspective all she's doing is protecting her family. sure she does a lot of yelling but in asian culture there's nothing wrong with yelling at people unless they're older than you or have more status. grandma is at the top so she can yell at anyone and ride em to sunday if she wants. same deal with SY's father. a lot of readers think he's supposed to be a "bad" character because he yells so much but he's actually written as a very righteous (actually unrealistically righteous) character. he only yells at his kids and wife, and when he does it's only to correct faults they have. he's annoying from a western perspective because some asian dude going around yelling is very unappealing but both grandma and SY's father represent authority and legitimacy in family and society respectively in this drama. IMO this is also the reason why the writers dont explicitly say whether grandma tells everyone about the DNA test. she's the top of the family and therefore the most important thing is that she knows... BH's father would love him either way but grandma as the ultimate ancestor knowing makes BH "legit" and it really doesn't matter who else knows or does not know. assuming she didn't tell him and the drama went on she'd definitely tell him on her death bed-- the next "head" of the family would then know... on his deathbed he'd tell BH etc

Thank you happyboy for such a terrific insight into the asian culture.

I do try (very hard I might add) to watch some of the drama from a Korean (asian) persecptive.

They funny thing is, I no longer get the chance to justifiably get upset when I see such things a granny screming at everyone. I must admit, it was a little more fun when I didn't know :rolleyes:

Anyway, Thank You Greatly :)

yup.. they should pun this drama longer! the ending kinda in a hurry... they should make it longer..

AMEN!! B)

There should be a one hour special or perhaps a special movie for this. This time focusing on BH and DP cos they ended up as supporting actor and actress respectively in this one for the likes of the latter unpopular couple. <_<

Yeah...it'll be a good idea. Watching DanBaek with their kids, I wonder how the kids looks like. Do they inherite "BH's stupidity", DanBaek "special" smile? Or maybe DanBaek will be violated by their own children :lol:

I think it's DanBaek chemistry that helped the show's rating but it's pity their excellent actings were ruined by poor script <_<

I agree with you. After I watched granny witch's tears when she got the DNA result, I think she already got her karma. Her regrets not being able with her own grandson for all these years and always mock at him...it's quite enough for me although she didn't say sorry for what she did to BH.

Oh yeah, does anyone realize that KJS/BH is more handsome with glasses, especially when BH in his new office as planning director :P

I realized it and you're right. I seem to recall that he wears glasses in real life. I guess they allowed him to wear them to make his transformation complete .

Oh man I’m dying hear to see some Pics from the two last eps … can someone kind-hearted respond :tears::wub:

Did you try youtube. Christykim and Khai translated the last two episodes.

Guest b00kw0rm

A DanBaek sequel would be great. But no need to have the annoying Hwangs, JS etc. Just have WJ appear now and then and give updates on his stupid wife and her family!

A DanBaek sequel would be great. But no need to have the annoying Hwangs, JS etc. Just have WJ appear now and then and give updates on his stupid wife and her family!

:lol::lol::lol: I don't want see JY again or any of the rest of her family. I'm still disgusted with her hiding her pregnant belly 2 years later, like she's cheating on her boyfriend and got caught. ROFL As for her father, he should be glad that someone is interested in him, he's just to pathetic. WJ could come back and work for Bonjour again, you know BH and MS would take him back in a heartbeat. Afterall, he's the one that really came up with the DANBAEK porridge. BH and DP only came up with the idea.

:lol: I'm 110% agree with you. :lol: We just need DanBaek.

:lol::lol::lol: I don't want see JY again or any of the rest of her family. I'm still disgusted with her hiding her pregnant belly 2 years later, like she's cheating on her boyfriend and got caught.

I felt that too. That's why I still don't like JY too. Why she tried to hide her pregnant when she met SJ? :crazy: She should show it coz it could tell him that without him, she's okay and lived happily with beloved husband. It should teach him a lesson. :tongue2:

Guest b00kw0rm

The ending was a real let down. And when you look at the characters individually and how things ended for them, it looked like the writers just couldn't wait for the show to end! No real character development for any of the characters, especially the main leads. Sloppy, hasty ending for all.

Archived