Hard Drive Help

Pseudonym

Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed on me a couple months ago and I had received a new one. I was wondering if it is possible to retrieve all the data from my old hard drive? If it's not possible to be done by myself, I was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to get it done.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me :)

Guest jojoboy4

Try to see if you hook up your old hard drive as a slave. If the damage is not severe, you should be able to retrieve all your old data.

Guest angelqian

You're kinda out of luck if you can't hook up the hardrive, data recovery isn't really worth the cost.

Try to see if you hook up your old hard drive as a slave. If the damage is not severe, you should be able to retrieve all your old data.

You're kinda out of luck if you can't hook up the hardrive, data recovery isn't really worth the cost.

How do I hook it up as a slave? Sorry, I'm really computer illiterate :x

Guest angelqian

you pretty much just need to plug the other hardrive in. The IDE ribbon (the flat ribbony cable, not the power cable) should have 3 ports to it, one as primary, one as slave, and one plugged into the motherboard. The primary should be plugged into the hardrive you're currently using, so plug the one below it (it should be physically underneath the primary) into the defunct hardrive. Or you could use another IDE channel (most computers have 2 of the IDE ribbons, which means you have 2 IDE channels), though the 2nd one is usually plugged into your CD-ROM and might be difficult to reach to your hardrive. Hope this helps.

Archived