Soompi Mac User Group

j79

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a wireless NIC card for your PC...and Bonjour is not something you install or is a network protocol. Wireless runs at wifi 802.1x

thanks, hopefully i'l be able to get that and set up the network this weekend.

anyway, does anyone know if you could watch videos on the veoh player for mac without downloading anything? :<

and i have this problem with gimp and spaces, that at random (and frequent) times, the space just changes to the space where i set gimp in, and it's pissing me off. :< i hope that makes any sense. if anyone knows anything about this, i'd be grateful!

i'm getting used to my macbook, and i'm so glad i chose this laptop :)

I'm quite new to the world of mac,

Are there programs I can use to make my macbook faster?

On Windows I have a number of cleaning/scanning programs that rid unneeded files that store automatically on my computer: spyware, internet cookies etc...

Programs I use on my Windows: 'Internet Sweeper', 'Clean Cache' to name a few.

Thanks in advanced

^how would i be able to do that? and does it play those fancy subs like .richard simmons files cause i've been switching back and forth between windows to watch those videos with that sub format.

VLC>Preferences>Subtitles/OSD

You can browse for a font type (default is system font), change the font color, size, and outlline. I suggest finding a good one that will work overall and just leave it, otherwise you will have to keep switching the preferences.

I'm quite new to the world of mac,

Are there programs I can use to make my macbook faster?

On Windows I have a number of cleaning/scanning programs that rid unneeded files that store automatically on my computer: spyware, internet cookies etc...

Programs I use on my Windows: 'Internet Sweeper', 'Clean Cache' to name a few.

Thanks in advanced

Welcome to the brighter side of life. Gone are many of your frustrations in dealing with the horrific system caching and multiple folders and files left by an inadequate uninstaller system. I have used a Mac since the early Apple IIgs days, and to this day i have never had one virus, and never had to install an anti-virus program on my Mac. The newer Macs have self defragmenting drives, that will defragment on the fly even. If you need to clear cookies you should do that within Firefox or Safari. They have a "Clear Private Date" option, that you can choose what you want to clear. Doing that periodically is recommended. The only main issue that Apple seems to run into is corrupt or damage registry or data forks. There are a couple tools that i've used in the past, but haven't used much at all and that's OnYx, and TechTool. I would recommend checking this page out and seeing if there's a couple programs that catch your eye: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/

hi mac users lol.

im thinking of getting a macbook (never used one before, only randomly cus my friends' ones looked interesting and pretty haha)

i have a few questions; (warning:i am TOTAL MAC/LAPTOP NOOOB)

- Would i have to purchase microsoft office separately? (what word processing program does mac come with?)

- Whats the difference between "combo" and "superdrive"?

- In the 'specs' area, wat does it mean if it says "1GB/120GB"??? (and is the higher the better??)

- Do they break easily....? like freeze/ that horrible blue screen lol

- Is it compatible with any printer? (so if i plug in my HP printer into USB will it work?)

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Guest dOotsiez

^ I heard Mac might be releasing new Macbooks (they're due for an upgrade soon anyway) by the end of the year or the beginning of next year, so I'd hold off a little if I were you.

oh man, online theres something going around bout a macbook/pro update in mid october..

and then theres gonna be some sorta promotion post-christmas (aust).

are these true??

then should i wait? oh ,... i dunno if i can wait that long haha

(is the macbook really thick? and heavy?)

Welcome to the brighter side of life. Gone are many of your frustrations in dealing with the horrific system caching and multiple folders and files left by an inadequate uninstaller system. I have used a Mac since the early Apple IIgs days, and to this day i have never had one virus, and never had to install an anti-virus program on my Mac. The newer Macs have self defragmenting drives, that will defragment on the fly even. If you need to clear cookies you should do that within Firefox or Safari. They have a "Clear Private Date" option, that you can choose what you want to clear. Doing that periodically is recommended. The only main issue that Apple seems to run into is corrupt or damage registry or data forks. There are a couple tools that i've used in the past, but haven't used much at all and that's OnYx, and TechTool. I would recommend checking this page out and seeing if there's a couple programs that catch your eye: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/

Thanks for the warm welcome and that helpful link!

So it seems, at least from your response, that macs are much more carefree than windows.

Of those programs listed on that site, you recommend only OnYx?

Have you any experience with some of the other ones: Spring Cleaning, Maintenance, and iTool are some of the few that caught my eye.

Also, I'm not assuming macs are immune yet, but if I was to accidently get a spyware, is there an all-rounded program I can use? I noticed my macbook working a bit strange yesterday, mostly likely from skimmng pages on photobucket. Strange as in: sometimes when I click the links on forums, such as 'reply' the screen automatically jumps to the very top. Another one is when I type in a keyword in the search engine on Photobucket. I completely ignores my search and refreshes to what seems like the home page- odd things here and there, is there a way to combat this?

Thanks

Guest glamchicdiva

hi Mac users! i have a white 2.4GHz MacBook. i've been using it for 8 months and i'm lovin it.

but i have a problem here.

i installed Windows XP on my Mac, and i tried record my voice in Windows with a mic but it doesnt work. it only records voices from the built-in mic.

when i tried to record from the mic, there's only silence.

i also tried to record from GarageBand in Mac but it doesnt work too.

can someone pls pls pls help me here? i'm desperate >.<

Guest hiimpaulkim

me love you long time

2.5 ghz macbook pro 2gb 250 gb hd

oh yea a good website to download macintosh software like office 2008 for free is macserialjunkie.com

you gotta register but it's kinda like z-degrees.net in terms of music and what not ^_^

actually it's more like warez-bb.org

people with macbooks and macbook pros, does yours get really hot when its sitting on your lap? like burns your leg kinda hot...

Yeah they can get pretty hot, but that's the same with pretty much all laptops i've used. I have a Macbook Pro and i can use it on my lap without burning (thanks Titanium case!) but it makes my legs sweat. :P

hi mac users lol.

im thinking of getting a macbook (never used one before, only randomly cus my friends' ones looked interesting and pretty haha)

i have a few questions; (warning:i am TOTAL MAC/LAPTOP NOOOB)

- Would i have to purchase microsoft office separately? (what word processing program does mac come with?)

- Whats the difference between "combo" and "superdrive"?

- In the 'specs' area, wat does it mean if it says "1GB/120GB"??? (and is the higher the better??)

- Do they break easily....? like freeze/ that horrible blue screen lol

- Is it compatible with any printer? (so if i plug in my HP printer into USB will it work?)

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Yes, MS Office is a separate purchase with any computer

- combo drive typically means a CD-RW/DVD-ROM. A "superdrive" is Apple's unique word to describe one drive that can play and burn both CDs and DVDs, including double-layer DVDs.

- i'm guessing it means 1GB RAM with a 120GB Hard Drive

- Macs do not get blue screens of death, and are much more stable OS than Windows because it's based on Linux/UNIX kernal.

- For the most part it should be compatible with any printer that uses USB, most HP printers come with a PC software disk and a Mac software drivers disk.

Thanks for the warm welcome and that helpful link!

So it seems, at least from your response, that macs are much more carefree than windows.

Of those programs listed on that site, you recommend only OnYx?

Have you any experience with some of the other ones: Spring Cleaning, Maintenance, and iTool are some of the few that caught my eye.

Also, I'm not assuming macs are immune yet, but if I was to accidently get a spyware, is there an all-rounded program I can use? I noticed my macbook working a bit strange yesterday, mostly likely from skimmng pages on photobucket. Strange as in: sometimes when I click the links on forums, such as 'reply' the screen automatically jumps to the very top. Another one is when I type in a keyword in the search engine on Photobucket. I completely ignores my search and refreshes to what seems like the home page- odd things here and there, is there a way to combat this?

Thanks

OnYx is the only one i've used...i don't have issues with spyware or performance so i rarely use these tools, but they all work pretty much the same. When in doubt try them all, it can't hurt.

There's a lot of different kinds of Spyware. It may not be spyware, it could simply be browser issues or malicious HTML code...a lot of sites do not program their sites to run well off of Mac versions of Safari or Firefox, and you will get a lot of quirky issues. Otherwise, if you're using Firefox simply use the "Erase Private Data" and that will clean everything out for you.

hi Mac users! i have a white 2.4GHz MacBook. i've been using it for 8 months and i'm lovin it.

but i have a problem here.

i installed Windows XP on my Mac, and i tried record my voice in Windows with a mic but it doesnt work. it only records voices from the built-in mic.

when i tried to record from the mic, there's only silence.

i also tried to record from GarageBand in Mac but it doesnt work too.

can someone pls pls pls help me here? i'm desperate >.<

Hi, in Garageband as well as in the system you need to manually set it to use your 3rd party microphone since by default OS X will try to use the built in first. To change this go under the Apple symbol and go to System Preferences. Click on Sound, and click on the tab Input. You should see your microphone listed there as well as "Internal microphone". Simply click on your microphone nd close the window. In Garageband it's basically the same thing:

Garageband>Preferences>Audio/MIDI

Choose under the drop down menu next to the Audio input your microphone.

OnYx is the only one i've used...i don't have issues with spyware or performance so i rarely use these tools, but they all work pretty much the same. When in doubt try them all, it can't hurt.

There's a lot of different kinds of Spyware. It may not be spyware, it could simply be browser issues or malicious HTML code...a lot of sites do not program their sites to run well off of Mac versions of Safari or Firefox, and you will get a lot of quirky issues. Otherwise, if you're using Firefox simply use the "Erase Private Data" and that will clean everything out for you.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try OnYx before I venture out.

I restarted my laptop, cleared my history, emptied the cash and 'reset safari.'

It seems to be working fine now, so it might have been of what you mentioned.

I always assume the worst since I'm still accustomed to a PC.

Mac's are for the most part, self-cleaners, that makes things more convenient, but do you find an antivirus program necessary for macs?

Guest tachichan

i JUST got my macboook and im soo not used to it yet X______X

so what is the equivalant to ms word? i only see a textedit program.....

thanks for the help!

i bought the mac book b/c it came with an itouch....lol

^

Microsoft Office, but doesn't come with it.

That was your only reason? lol

Oh and if anyone knows a program similar to cutePDF except compatible with macs.

(A virtual printer that creates PDFs from any program)

Guest drawkcab

I hope someone can help me out with this...

I have a Mac Pro and want to reboot/upgrade my computer, like new. I currently have four internal hard drives with three and a half terabytes. Can I keep the main hard drive in and take the other three out and reboot my computer and put my hard drives back in without losing any data, or will I need to reformat the hard drives which will wipe them out clean =/

Thanks in advance =)

I'm having problems with installing my printer on my MBP. I know I can use my printer on a mac environment, because it worked fine on my G5, but for some reason I can't add it in system preferences...

I hope someone can help me out with this...

I have a Mac Pro and want to reboot/upgrade my computer, like new. I currently have four internal hard drives with three and a half terabytes. Can I keep the main hard drive in and take the other three out and reboot my computer and put my hard drives back in without losing any data, or will I need to reformat the hard drives which will wipe them out clean =/

Thanks in advance =)

Yes, you can actually leave them in.

I'm assuming the 4 drives you have, 1 is the main Macintosh HD?

If so note which drive it is, re-boot with ur OS X DVD, and follow the on screen instructions. Make sure you select the right drive.

If u are a bit wary about it, you can remove your other 3 drives, then do the install, then plug them back in.

The only drive that will be totally wiped clean will be the drive with the OS X.

Guest drawkcab

Yes, you can actually leave them in.

I'm assuming the 4 drives you have, 1 is the main Macintosh HD?

If so note which drive it is, re-boot with ur OS X DVD, and follow the on screen instructions. Make sure you select the right drive.

If u are a bit wary about it, you can remove your other 3 drives, then do the install, then plug them back in.

The only drive that will be totally wiped clean will be the drive with the OS X.

Thanks a lot Xarthan. I'll give that a try.

Archived