Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest erure

Why would I get an external hard drive AND a time machine? A time machine is an external hard drive O_O

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would I get an external hard drive AND a time machine? A time machine is an external hard drive O_O

Actually, Time Machine refers to the software in OS X that does the back up. Apple sells "Time Capsule", which is a wireless router with either 500GB or 1TB HDD built in that allows you to sync/backup wirelessly. If you don't need the wireless router, Time Capsule isn't the right product.

Guest ihigh

white macbook (:

13in

2.0Ghz

3GB ram[eww @ old gen that can only support 3]

80GB HDD, replacing it soon w/ a 120GB :D

OS X Leopard x3

i'm trying to sell it and buy a new one xD

So I jumped the gun and purchased a new MacBook. I love it thus far. Of course, the two greatest challenges for me right now is: A. Trying to adapt to the new operating system. I went from 10.3 (What is that, Panther?) to 10.5. According to some Mac enthusiasts, the jump is monumental. I don't disagree. B. Trying to figure out how to change the fricken time zone. For the past hour, I've been keeping track of what time it is in pacific time zone. That's great for when/if I move there, but currently, it is a pain to keep thinking, "Oh wait, it is only 2. Whew~"

I could imagine!! After I upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4, I helped a friend out with her iBook that was running 10.3. It was foreign to me! Haha. I can't even imagine going back to 10.3 now....

You may have figured this out, but to change the Time Zone, go to System Preferences, click Date & Time, choose Time Zone, and click roughly the location of where you want to set the Time Zone for. :D

Guest erure

Actually, Time Machine refers to the software in OS X that does the back up. Apple sells "Time Capsule", which is a wireless router with either 500GB or 1TB HDD built in that allows you to sync/backup wirelessly. If you don't need the wireless router, Time Capsule isn't the right product.

Oh you're right! :blush: I mix those two up all the time T^T Sorry darkmafiaguy :blush:

Anyway so should I get time capsule AND airport extreme? Or airport extreme and a different external HDD? +_+

Guest Xarthan

Oh you're right! :blush: I mix those two up all the time T^T Sorry darkmafiaguy :blush:

Anyway so should I get time capsule AND airport extreme? Or airport extreme and a different external HDD? +_+

Time Capsule is basically an Airport Extreme with a Hard Drive inside.

What I did was, hooked up an External HD to my Airport Extreme and voilia! A Time Capsule is born! lol :)

Guest erure

Time Capsule is basically an Airport Extreme with a Hard Drive inside.

What I did was, hooked up an External HD to my Airport Extreme and voilia! A Time Capsule is born! lol :)

Yeah I was thinking about doing that because I heard Time Capsule isn't that good.

Guest Xarthan

Yeah I was thinking about doing that because I heard Time Capsule isn't that good.

why isn't it good?

I could imagine!! After I upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4, I helped a friend out with her iBook that was running 10.3. It was foreign to me! Haha. I can't even imagine going back to 10.3 now....

You may have figured this out, but to change the Time Zone, go to System Preferences, click Date & Time, choose Time Zone, and click roughly the location of where you want to set the Time Zone for. :D

Ah, yes, I figured it out last night. Thanks anyhow.

Although there are a lot of new features, it isn't a drastic difference between operating systems.

Guest erure

why isn't it good?

I don't know I just read reviews from apple and some people are saying how great it is while other people are ripping it apart, complaining that it slows down their internet and is especially slow when backed up for the first time. I don't know what to do! I was hoping to buy one today but I'm not so sure if it's a good idea.

Guest Xarthan

I don't know I just read reviews from apple and some people are saying how great it is while other people are ripping it apart, complaining that it slows down their internet and is especially slow when backed up for the first time. I don't know what to do! I was hoping to buy one today but I'm not so sure if it's a good idea.

well the internet itself won't be slow and of course the first backup is going to be slow. My first backup was for 160GB, that takes a long long time to back up. I think it took 14 hours.

After the first one it won't be slow, in fact you won't even notice it.

But for slowdown of internet? It won't happen, unless your using the computer during the first backup.

does anyone know if BT, Clubbox, and Maplestory work for MACbooks.

Is "BT" Bit-Torrent? If it is, then yes, Bit-Torrent works fine on a Mac (in OS X)

However, ClubBox and Maplestory do not work natively on OS X. You can either dual boot (choose OS X or Windows at boot time) or run Windows under an emulated environment - along side OS X (which, btw is awesome!) The latest version of OS X allows you to set up "spaces" - so you can run all your Windows apps in one space and all your OS X apps in another space.

Here's an example of it:

OS X dock/menu bar are usually hidden (so, it looks like Windows full screen)

You can also run Parallels in "Coherence" or "Windows" mode (both shown in following youtube video)

Guest Xarthan

Is "BT" Bit-Torrent? If it is, then yes, Bit-Torrent works fine on a Mac (in OS X)

Transmission is the best app for BT

Transmission is the best app for BT

I use Azureus and Transmission. Transmission is perfect for private trackers (since it has no DHT support) - but for public trackers, lack of DHT kind of hurts speeds. I hear that uTorrent is in the works for Mac OS X, but it's going sloooooow....

But I agree - Transmission is awesome!! Nice, light weight app :D

Guest cocoa

I installed bootcamp though and Clubbox does not work =[ You can install it, but it never runs. Same thing happened to my friend's sister who has a macbook.

Guest l`amour

Everyone else answered it, but I'm so sad that MapleStory doesn't work for MAC. T_T

*is waiting to become un-lazy and install parallels :lol:*

I installed bootcamp though and Clubbox does not work =[ You can install it, but it never runs. Same thing happened to my friend's sister who has a macbook.

That's weird. It runs perfectly fine through Parallels. I would imagine that Boot Camp would be more "compatible" than Parallels (or any other emulation environment..)

Maybe I'm wrong?

Have you tried Parallels?

Guest kpyuja4eva

i've been thinking about getting some kind of macbook for my first notebook in a couple years, but all my life i've been using windows and i'm not sure if i'll be able to adjust/figure everything out in the mac program.

haha sorry, i really don't know much about macs

basically, is it a hard switch from a pc/windows to a mac?

can you put all the stuff (files/music/pics/etc) you have on your pc and transfer it somehow to a mac with no problems?

Guest l`amour

^ You'll be fine! It's no problem at all. I've been using PC for a long time and once I got my hands on the Mac... it all came very naturally. :)

As for transferring, I would say get your hands on an external and just upload your files that way or just leave it on an external. ^_^

Archived