Soompi Mac User Group

j79

^ i'm sort of having the same problem as you.

i have the black macbook intel core duo, not 2.

it only lasts me about and hour now.

i don't know if maybe its cuz i'm using programs

that require more power now..

or maybe cuz i never unplug it while using it.

it's probably a matter of both.

i'm most likely gonna need a new battery too.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eatadandelion

^ i'm sort of having the same problem as you.

i have the black macbook intel core duo, not 2.

it only lasts me about and hour now.

i don't know if maybe its cuz i'm using programs

that require more power now..

or maybe cuz i never unplug it while using it.

it's probably a matter of both.

i'm most likely gonna need a new battery too.

I never unplug mine either..is that bad?? I don't want to have to buy a new battery, this is dumb. How much does a battery cost anyway?

Could this also be the result of not updating our macs regularly?

Guest mz_kimmi_dee

I just converted >.< now i'm looking for a good keyboard cover and hardcase for the 13"macbook... any sugesstions?

Guest Xarthan

My mac runs out of batteries very fast, in a very abnormal way. I have the black 13-inch macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

with 2GB memory and 250GB hard drive. I would charge it the whole night, and then use it the morning for about 20 minutes, and it would just turn off and wouldn't work unless it's plugged in. The battery percentage would go from 100% to just 7% after barely 20 minutes; it used to last about 6-8 hours. It happens to me from time to time. I called Mac since I have the protection plan and they told me I had to replace my battery...which doesn't really make sense to me because my mac is still fairly new.

Do any of you guys have the same problem??

I get about 3-4 hours on mine. Take it to the apple store and have them take a look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stickearth

i just bought a black macbook online few hours ago and i was wondering if it had any word processors cause I'm not sure if it does.

Guest Xarthan

i just bought a black macbook online few hours ago and i was wondering if it had any word processors cause I'm not sure if it does.

it will come with textedit which is okay and will do what you want to do. You can bold, format, etc...

You will also have a trial version of Pages, Apple's version of Word.

But you will have to buy your own software if you want a retail one.

Or you can try a free one called openoffice or neooffice.

just google those two words when you get ur mac

OH YES

There's always Google Docs. the free Word Processor online :)

I never unplug mine either..is that bad?? I don't want to have to buy a new battery, this is dumb. How much does a battery cost anyway?

Could this also be the result of not updating our macs regularly?

battery is about 130 bucks?

and yah it is bad.

its recommended to remove the

charger after the battery is fully charged.

apparently you can just remove the battery

if you just plan to use the power adaptor for power..

by leaving the battery in and charging while

using the macbook the cycle life of the battery

decreases much quicker....

and no, its not from not updating.

Guest stickearth

it will come with textedit which is okay and will do what you want to do. You can bold, format, etc...

You will also have a trial version of Pages, Apple's version of Word.

But you will have to buy your own software if you want a retail one.

Or you can try a free one called openoffice or neooffice.

just google those two words when you get ur mac

OH YES

There's always Google Docs. the free Word Processor online :)

=3 thanks!!

Guest dOotsiez

hello there Mac users, I'm upgrading some softewares on my macbook. And im just wondering whether to get the Office 08 for Mac or iWork 08. How does iwork compare with office? the only two applications i use out of the office suite are powerpoint and word. While im quite used to office, iWork is only about 1/3 of the price after my student discount so if its' essentially the same, I might just buy that instead.

Oh and what about neo office? is it as good as word? ta much. :D

Guest l`amour

^ Well, they should be able to guide you along on how to use BootCamp or Parallels. You know, the programs put in place to help you install XP. :)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html (is included with the new OS, Leopard; have to reset your computer to use Windows)

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/ (have to pay for this, but seems pretty nifty; opens in a window on your Mac desktop, hence the title Parallels)

Guest Rivi-Chan <3

i'm new in this MAC thing, i just got a macbook.

and usually it's easy to view videos in AVI n WMV format in windows,

how can I view videos from that format in MAC?

does anyone know the software for it??

please help me,, because usually people upload videos in AVI n WMV,

so I need the software,,

thank u..^^

Guest erure

^I use Mplayer for all the videos I play (I usually use avi)... Don't know if it will work with wmv as well. If worst comes to worst, you could get vmware fusion and install windows on your macbook.

^ Well, they should be able to guide you along on how to use BootCamp or Parallels. You know, the programs put in place to help you install XP. :)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html (is included with the new OS, Leopard; have to reset your computer to use Windows)

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/ (have to pay for this, but seems pretty nifty; opens in a window on your Mac desktop, hence the title Parallels)

thanks, ive been having issues trying to get xp installed. i partition the drive with the boot camp assistant, but when i try to install xp i cant get to the partition part in the bios and it gives me a message that its going to shut down the comp. but yeah i tried it like 5 times already without success.

^

^if not Mplayer you can try VLC, im using it and it works fine and it plays subs for you if downloaded them.

I want to buy a new Mac laptop so badly that it hurts! I purchased my Mac nearly 4 years ago, right before I entered college, swearing that it'll last me the entire four years as I try to justify the price for it. Granted, while it has given me three wonderful years, the past few months have made my heart ache. It is not as fast as it use to be, and it struggles to perform simple tasks that were routine. I've tried to upgrade the operating system twice, but it could never complete the installation as there were errors that prevented it (perhaps that was the start of the downfall).

Now I find myself surfing Apple's store and staring at its price. "I could do it! I could do it if I really tried," I'd tell myself. *scoffs* Like I even have a chance. At the moment at least.

I love my Mac, but I inhibited the development my education in my major for purchasing it. In my major, nearly every single important program uses Windows XP as its main platform. If I were to self-study, I'd have to be on campus for every single moment, and that's not entirely productive. Now I'm looking at the new Macs and its Windows capabilities, and I salivate at the possibility of using my Mac at home and work on the development boards at the same time. *salivates*

For those having battery issues:

I had an issue with my battery a few weeks ago.

It went from 3 - 4 hours of battery life on Tuesday to 30 minutes of battery life on Thursday. The battery health also went from "Good" to "Poor" a few days later. I took it to the Apple store where they replaced it free of charge (hassle free, as well)

Be sure to check your system profile (Apple --> About This Mac --> More Info...) under "Power" to get more info about your battery (Battery Information). It shows your Battery Health, as well as other info like charge capacity and remaining charge. "Good" batteries will have a charge capacity around 4000 - 6000 mAh. If your MacBook is relatively new and it's hovering around 1000 - 2000, you need to recalibrate your battery.

Here's instructions on recalibrating: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa.../en/mh2339.html

i'm new in this MAC thing, i just got a macbook.

and usually it's easy to view videos in AVI n WMV format in windows,

how can I view videos from that format in MAC?

does anyone know the software for it??

please help me,, because usually people upload videos in AVI n WMV,

so I need the software,,

thank u..^^

Others have already mentioned Flip4Mac for WMV. For MKV/AVI, I totally recommend Perian. It allows you to play a ton of different formats in QuickTime.

Flip4Mac: http://flip4mac.com/

Perian: http://perian.org/

Guest ehytee7

Anyone uses multiply here?

coz for the past 1-2 months, i'm having trouble viewing pictures in multiply. For example, whenever i click a picture to view it, it just wouldn't show up. The only way i can view pictures is when i click the slideshow button. It wasn't like that before, but does it have to do with the settings in my macbook? I've tried to view the pictures using a pc and a mac in my school, and it worked just fine.

Guest eatadandelion

For those having battery issues:

I had an issue with my battery a few weeks ago.

It went from 3 - 4 hours of battery life on Tuesday to 30 minutes of battery life on Thursday. The battery health also went from "Good" to "Poor" a few days later. I took it to the Apple store where they replaced it free of charge (hassle free, as well)

Be sure to check your system profile (Apple --> About This Mac --> More Info...) under "Power" to get more info about your battery (Battery Information). It shows your Battery Health, as well as other info like charge capacity and remaining charge. "Good" batteries will have a charge capacity around 4000 - 6000 mAh. If your MacBook is relatively new and it's hovering around 1000 - 2000, you need to recalibrate your battery.

Here's instructions on recalibrating: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa.../en/mh2339.html

I've posted in this thread about a month ago...I am still having the same problem.

Here was my last post describing my problem:

My mac runs out of batteries very fast, in a very abnormal way. I have the black 13-inch macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

with 2GB memory and 250GB hard drive. I would charge it the whole night, and then use it the morning for about 20 minutes, and it would just turn off and wouldn't work unless it's plugged in. The battery percentage would go from 100% to just 7% after barely 20 minutes; it used to last about 6-8 hours.

My MacBook is relatively new and the charge capacity is 538 and the remaining capacity is 515, I tried recalibrating but nothing seems to work!

Now my MacBook won't work unless it's connected!! Should I just buy a new battery now?

Archived