P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest Babysoul

i have a miniture schnauzer, he's a year old.. and today he vomited white foamy stuff..

i dont think it was the food but the stuff he's been eating off the ground that he's not suppose to, like threads and grass, leaves, etc.

can i still feed him his regular food and water? or should i fast him for a day..

also i can't contact my vet right now. <_<

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aznscrewball

Dogs only eat grass when they know that they dont feel well. Grass makes them puke, so I guess thats what you saw. Its their own natural instinct to make themselves feel better. Just make sure you give him lots of water and make him eat a bit so he doesnt have an empty stomach, but dont force too much on him.

Guest trippyx1

have you guys had your Jindo run away?

do they usually find their way back to their house?

i checked all the animal shelters and pounds and looked for him all over the neighborhood and no sign.. :(

Guest Rachaelsol

have you guys had your Jindo run away?

do they usually find their way back to their house?

i checked all the animal shelters and pounds and looked for him all over the neighborhood and no sign.. :(

If your dog has run away you should put up signs EVERYWHERE.

I'm not kidding.

Put signs in shelters, parks, your local petsmart. And when you find your dog again you should put a microchip in it :/

Does it have it's collar on?

Dogs only eat grass when they know that they dont feel well. Grass makes them puke, so I guess thats what you saw. Its their own natural instinct to make themselves feel better. Just make sure you give him lots of water and make him eat a bit so he doesnt have an empty stomach, but dont force too much on him.

Really? My vet says that grass won't make your dog puke.

It might be what you're feeding him that upsets his stomach. My dog used to puke a lot when he was on wet food.

Has anyone kept a puppy/dog in their apartment secretly??

Even when Your apartment doesn't allow dogs/cats?

If you did how long did it last?

hehe...cause I'm thinking about it..cause I want one sooooooooooooooo bad,

but i know that if i get caught we could probably get kicked out...i wanted one ever since i was a kid.

(idk .. they probably won't be that mean..

Probably just give us a very strict warning)

But the funny thing is ... is that our apartment we can't paint our walls, but now some neighbors have their

walls painted, and i saw another neighbor and they have a small puppy 0.O could be a friend/or another family member staying for a while at their place

but its been about a month now..i don't know what's goin' on w/our apartment.

Guest KIM_SAYS:

I hope this has been said in this thread before, and if it has, it doesn't hurt in repeating it;

This is my advice to ANYONE who is looking to buy a dog (or any pet, but dogs especially)

PLEASE do your research before purchasing a dog. All breeds of dogs have different personalities, each with their own special needs. Please don't get a dog just because it's cute and cuddly--that's one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Just make sure you'd be able to make it happy and give it the attention that it needs. Not giving a dog attention can be extremely damaging to his/her personality and can have severe consequences (such as aggression)--for both your dog and yourself. You simply can't have a dog if it's going to be by itself for most of the time.

Guest SophiaSan

so i just got a 11 month old Pekingese! super cute

but she's super clingy!

when i leave her alone in a room she'll bark.

she'll go crazy when someone leaves her alone.

like i put her in the cage and she would cry and bark for hours. then she'll POOP AND PEE even though I took her to potty before couple hours before.

im training her to be less clingy, it'll get worse when i start school in the fall.

so i put her in the garage in a cage.

and every time she barks i run in there with a firm voice, "NO NO NO "

she's getting it.

but what else can i do to make her less clingy?

so i just got a 11 month old Pekingese! super cute

but she's super clingy!

when i leave her alone in a room she'll bark.

she'll go crazy when someone leaves her alone.

like i put her in the cage and she would cry and bark for hours. then she'll POOP AND PEE even though I took her to potty before couple hours before.

im training her to be less clingy, it'll get worse when i start school in the fall.

so i put her in the garage in a cage.

and every time she barks i run in there with a firm voice, "NO NO NO "

she's getting it.

but what else can i do to make her less clingy?

Ooh... I have a pekingese. They are really stubborn =X

My doggy isn't very clingy though. He comes and goes like a cat and when he wants to be cuddled, he'll stand up on his hind legs and beg for it. Then when he's gotten enough lovin', he'll leave.

I don't recommend caging your dog up T.T not unless you're potty training her or punishing her.

Does she have any toys to play with? She's 11 months old? Did her previous owner abandon her?

Guest shygirlx

I had 2 dogs until now. My parents decided to give one away.

Now I have only 1 dog and he misses the other dog.

He keeps on whimpering and howling.

How can I stop this to make him feel happier?

Guest leradny

SophiaSan: Instead of just putting her in the garage, let her roam around indoors. I agree that keeping her in a cage outside of crate training is rather harsh, and I completely disagree with caging her as punishment. What if you have to take her to the vet in a cage?

To deal with clingy dogs, you have to ignore the clingy behavior and reward them for being independent. Whenever she jumps at you or begs for attention, you have to just ignore her until she's quiet. Then you give her a treat for being quiet and move to the other side of the room. If she follows you without you asking, keep ignoring her until you can step away and she remains where she is. When she's been quiet for a few minutes, then you call her and give her a few pets. The point is to teach her that you will pay attention to her when you want to, not when she wants you to. Hopefully it will not take too long (a month is extremely optimistic for very dependent dogs), but be prepared to persist.

shygirlx: When you ask your dog to come to you, give him a bit more attention than usual (pet him for about fifteen-twenty seconds instead of five). However, wait for at least five minutes after he's finished howling before you call him, or else he will associate 'being noisy' with 'you giving him attention.' Other than that, don't worry! He'll get over it in a while.

Just don't get another dog--it may make the problem worse if you have to give that one away too.

SophiaSan: Instead of just putting her in the garage, let her roam around indoors. I agree that keeping her in a cage outside of crate training is rather harsh, and I completely disagree with caging her as punishment. What if you have to take her to the vet in a cage?

That's how I punish my dog. Whenever he's bad, I'll yell "Go to your home!" and he knows exactly what it means. And then I'll lock him in there for about an hour. I take him to the vet and to other outings (park, my neices house, the salon) all the time in his cage/carrier. He has no problems whatsoever. He actually sees his cage/carrier as his "safe haven" (when there's thunder or he's just scared, he'll lay in there). He knows punishment = locking the cage door.

The way I see it, it's like sending a child to their room. They know they're being punished but they're also in the comfort of their room.

Guest leradny

That's how I punish my dog. Whenever he's bad, I'll yell "Go to your home!" and he knows exactly what it means. And then I'll lock him in there for about an hour. I take him to the vet and to other outings (park, my neices house, the salon) all the time in his cage/carrier. He has no problems whatsoever. He actually sees his cage/carrier as his "safe haven" (when there's thunder or he's just scared, he'll lay in there). He knows punishment = locking the cage door.

The way I see it, it's like sending a child to their room. They know they're being punished but they're also in the comfort of their room.

Well, it may work for your dog, who is apparently well-adjusted. But for a very dependent dog I just don't think it's a good idea--they already dislike being alone, so correcting in this manner may be too extreme for them. Like I said before, it may cause an association between cages and punishment, and it would be better to hold off actually caging a dog for punishment until he or she is more confident.

Guest leradny

So how do you guys punish your dog?

And I'm planning on getting another dog but I'm afraid my little guy will get jealous and bite his/her face off?

He's 3 and a half btw.

I read somewhere that dogs really like attention, and even bad attention would be better than simply ignoring errant behavior. If a dog really likes jumping on me, for example, I just move away, sit down, and do something quiet if I can. If I'm in a tight spot, like on stairs or in a doorway, I turn my back and hold still until the jumping stops. I don't say "No" or "bad dog" or anything, since they're not likely to understand exactly what I mean; and I don't act scared even when it's a huge, hyper dog. When they've been quiet for a few minutes I call them to me and give them some attention. Even dogs I don't know stop jumping within five minutes, and my friend's dogs who I see often have never jumped on me since, even when they jump at other people. This basically works for any problem, like barking or even nipping, as long as you turn around and start ignoring them the second they start to do it.

On getting another dog: You don't want to just bring him into your home without a warning to your previous dog. Once you choose the dog you want, make sure you can bring your first dog in to meet them and see if they like each other. If they don't, you'll have to work harder to get them used to each other--or just try another dog. I also suggest staying away from puppies or hyper dogs, unless your dog can handle such personalities xD.

I read somewhere that dogs really like attention, and even bad attention would be better than simply ignoring errant behavior. If a dog really likes jumping on me, for example, I just move away, sit down, and do something quiet if I can. If I'm in a tight spot, like on stairs or in a doorway, I turn my back and hold still until the jumping stops. I don't say "No" or "bad dog" or anything, since they're not likely to understand exactly what I mean; and I don't act scared even when it's a huge, hyper dog. When they've been quiet for a few minutes I call them to me and give them some attention. Even dogs I don't know stop jumping within five minutes, and my friend's dogs who I see often have never jumped on me since, even when they jump at other people. This basically works for any problem, like barking or even nipping, as long as you turn around and start ignoring them the second they start to do it.

On getting another dog: You don't want to just bring him into your home without a warning to your previous dog. Once you choose the dog you want, make sure you can bring your first dog in to meet them and see if they like each other. If they don't, you'll have to work harder to get them used to each other--or just try another dog. I also suggest staying away from puppies or hyper dogs, unless your dog can handle such personalities xD.

I want a puppy T.T

My dog is pretty anti-social though. He's always picking fights with other dogs =X

And he's really cranky.

I try ignoring him when he wants attention but he continues to jump, nip at me and chase me around the house.

He's really stubborn and the only thing he's afraid of is the hula hoop (lol).

I don't want to admit it but he's a pretty bad dog. And I know it's our fault because we coddled him so much when he was a baby. Arg.

Guest Swtess

^lol sounds kind of cute if he's just chasing you playfully like how my dogs does to me.

like leradny said, don't just bring the new pup home, you're dog will most likely not like it.

Introduce them to one another beforehand, in the car is not recommended. lol

That's how I introduced my yorkie to the maltese and he wasn't happy at all.

He got all excited when we came back to the car all jumpy and whatnot, until he saw the new maltese pup in my hand.

My yorkie basically shunned both me and my bf the whole ride home. lol

I was lucky enough that my yorkie started to somewhat get along with the pup a couple of weeks or a month later.

It was real frustrating at first though since he refused to eat whenever the maltese was in view and sulked around all day.

Make sure to pay attention to your first dog and always give him attention first.

Like pet him first, feed him...etc He just needs assurance that he's still the alpha male/female of the house.

The new pup is fine if you don't pay much attention to it as your first dog.

Guest leradny

I want a puppy T.T

My dog is pretty anti-social though. He's always picking fights with other dogs =X

And he's really cranky.

I try ignoring him when he wants attention but he continues to jump, nip at me and chase me around the house.

He's really stubborn and the only thing he's afraid of is the hula hoop (lol).

I don't want to admit it but he's a pretty bad dog. And I know it's our fault because we coddled him so much when he was a baby. Arg.

You said it yourself--your dog is extremely stubborn. It's not going to take overnight to fix something that he's been doing since he was a puppy! Currently he thinks that if he keeps it up for long enough, you'll crack first. You have to show him that no matter what, you aren't going to stop ignoring him until he behaves well, no matter how long it takes. The way he is now, picking fights with other dogs, means you can't trust him around younger dogs.

There are other ways to assert yourself with your dog, as well.

-When you leave the house, don't say goodbye to him with words or petting; when you come back, do it quietly and don't look at him or touch him until he's quiet.

-When you feed him, tell him to sit before you put the bowl down; if he moves before it's on the ground, bring it up and tell him to sit again.

-When you take him out, wait until he's calm before moving for the door, and go out the door first. If he pulls at the lead while you're walking, stand your ground and wait until he stops before moving again.

-If he nips you, go straight into another room and shut the door--stay there for fifteen minutes, and when you come back out give him the cold shoulder for another fifteen.

This could take up to a month to show signs of working, but just stay strong and he'll be a very good dog :). I will say that you need to keep this up for as long as you still have your dog--if you don't, he might revert to being just as badly behaved as before.

Make sure to pay attention to your first dog and always give him attention first.

Like pet him first, feed him...etc He just needs assurance that he's still the alpha male/female of the house.

Everything in Swtess' post is right, except for that above paragraph. Remember that you're the one who feeds him, lets him out to toilet, and walks him, so you're actually the alpha of the house.

^lol sounds kind of cute if he's just chasing you playfully like how my dogs does to me.

like leradny said, don't just bring the new pup home, you're dog will most likely not like it.

Introduce them to one another beforehand, in the car is not recommended. lol

That's how I introduced my yorkie to the maltese and he wasn't happy at all.

He got all excited when we came back to the car all jumpy and whatnot, until he saw the new maltese pup in my hand.

My yorkie basically shunned both me and my bf the whole ride home. lol

I was lucky enough that my yorkie started to somewhat get along with the pup a couple of weeks or a month later.

It was real frustrating at first though since he refused to eat whenever the maltese was in view and sulked around all day.

Lol.

You said it yourself--your dog is extremely stubborn. It's not going to take overnight to fix something that he's been doing since he was a puppy! Currently he thinks that if he keeps it up for long enough, you'll crack first. You have to show him that no matter what, you aren't going to stop ignoring him until he behaves well, no matter how long it takes. The way he is now, picking fights with other dogs, means you can't trust him around younger dogs.

There are other ways to assert yourself with your dog, as well.

-When you leave the house, don't say goodbye to him with words or petting; when you come back, do it quietly and don't look at him or touch him until he's quiet.

-When you feed him, tell him to sit before you put the bowl down; if he moves before it's on the ground, bring it up and tell him to sit again.

-When you take him out, wait until he's calm before moving for the door, and go out the door first. If he pulls at the lead while you're walking, stand your ground and wait until he stops before moving again.

-If he nips you, go straight into another room and shut the door--stay there for fifteen minutes, and when you come back out give him the cold shoulder for another fifteen.

This could take up to a month to show signs of working, but just stay strong and he'll be a very good dog :). I will say that you need to keep this up for as long as you still have your dog--if you don't, he might revert to being just as badly behaved as before.

Everything in Swtess' post is right, except for that above paragraph. Remember that you're the one who feeds him, lets him out to toilet, and walks him, so you're actually the alpha of the house.

Thanks for all the advice. Now I just need my mom and my sister to be on the same page.

I might print all of that out and hang it on the refrigerator door lol. My dog seriously thinks that he runs the house.

He is so freaking spoiled/bad and no one will take responsibility for it.

Guest leradny

Well, you're taking responsibility now, so that's a step in the right direction. :D You're very welcome for the advice, and good luck with it too!

Archived