For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest Donyale

My parents don't care. I even got my mom into Park Hyo Shin. She thinks that he has an amazing voice. Sometimes I try to get my parents to watch Korean dramas and movies. I think my parents are glad that I expose myself to different elements instead of just things in America.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xSHADOW

Hahah...well my parents don't really care.

My family watches a lot Korean dramas/movies so it's normal.

The only person who questions why I listen to Korean music is my uncle.

Guest BlackTea

When my mom saw me watching Goong, she was surprised. It was something like "You watch that?" and "When did you start?" Then she laughed and went on cleaning the living room. xD She's not too fazed since she's been watching Korean dramas with Chinese dubbing and subbing before I was.

Then when she heard I started listening to Korean music, it was just like when I listened to Japanese. She asked if I understood it, and when I said no, she just laughed again, and told my dad. e__e She tells him a lot of the embarassing things I do with a laugh. One of these days, I should tell her that it doesn't catch on. My dad basically has the same reaction with the music and dramas. I don't know what he thinks, because he doesn't say anything, but I'll bet it has something to do with why I don't watch and listen to Chinese music instead.

Guest gillie

my parents r kinda icky about me liking korean stuff~

cuz i get REALLY obsess with korean stuff..like dramas and celebrities..

so when they r around..i dun watch dramas..haha but music..they dun really mind

Wow, everyone's parents seem so nice compared to mine :P. My parents think I'm crazy/weird/retarded. They always make fun of me when they hear that I'm listening to K-Pop. My brother gets annoyed, but now I've gotten him to listen to it! Everytime I get new music, he tells me to send it to his computer (MUAHAHA). They laugh at me cuz they don't think I understand anything and then they laugh MORE when they find out that I self-teach myself Korean. They don't believe me. Now they just put up with it cuz they see that it's not just a "phase" I'm going through. They just complain about how much I spend on Korean products now hehe. On the other hand, my friends are completely ANNOYED. They wanna KILL me! Situation:

*Winterfest dance coming up*

Me: I could SO dj better than the dj thats going to be there

*Everyone around me* NO!!

They underestimate me :( I know so way more American songs than them too :(.

People probably think I'm a loser (I live in a predominatly white area...). It makes me feel bad.

Guest bunkicake

Oh yeah this topic so on me!

My parents watch their dramas..but they get all anooying when it comes to music...V___V

really they think its jibberish.

Guest PandaKiss

My parents don't really mind.

But whenever she sees me watching em she'll be you like understand that?

And I'm like no, haha, subtitles!

Then she's weirded out.

x)

Guest __daanii.

At first they were like "Why not Filipino?" and they said it's just a phase but now my mom likes to watch the movies with me. xD Like she could sit through a drama.

Guest pinkpetals-

I'm Filippino, so my parents were used to the K-dramas/movies.

When they heard the music, they were like, "WTF, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?!"

So now, theyre pretty used to it XD

Guest milkbunny

lol my mom watches korean drama with me : ], they don't really like when I listen to Korean music x P

Guest mal3ficum

LOL they dont really care cuz they're the ones who buy/rent it

buttt music? haha my aunt was like 'omg all kids these days are obsessed with korean stuff'...

but she only said that because during that time a korean ballad was playing. i listen to j-rock dearyyy :)

Guest lccyn

they watch together with me...

but they never listen songs together with me.

coz, most of my songs are in my com and they never knew i like korean songs....VERY MUCH!

Guest chuchu728

lol well they dont caree but they make fun of me about it...like in a jokingly way LOL

but like my grandparents and my aunts watch korean dramas just dubbed

seriously though...they dont care lol

Guest Loveee

my parents don't really have an opinion on what music I listen to... even if they walk by with a strange look on their face when I'm listening to Se7en. :D

You know, I'm a very tv show fanatic, and I watched before a lot of american dramas, so my mom got used to see me watching it on the computer.

Then the first "asian" thing I watched was Hana Yori Dango, and to make it more confortable (because the PC is on the living room and she can see what i'm watching) I smile and I said something like "shut up! i'm watching the asians!" And she doesnt say anything. But the first korean movie I downloaded was A moment to remember, i was absolutely stunned by it, so I beg to my mom that she must watch it, she did it, and she looooves it. So she started to get used to it. :P

Although my sister can't understand and my best friends can't either, so we just avoid the conversation about it. sometimes my friends joke about it.

Guest SilmarweN

I guess i have been into asian stuff for too long so they don't mind anymore.But still they sometimes think it's childish(animes), strange in a way,funny maybe just because it's all so far from my reality.Part of my friends understand me and we talk about all that..well mostly i :sweatingbullets:

Guest xstrawberry_bearx

My mom really doesnt care. She's happy that I'm learning a new language and new cultures she just hates the fact that i talk to her in languages she doesnt know! Haha<3 She doesnt mind though -- anything that makes me happy but there are certain times that she is annoyed :D

Archived