For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest stephypham

my whole family doesn`t care, because they listen to korean music & watch korean drama too =) so it`s all gooddd.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pinkhairclip

Sometimes my dad and I get into fights over my love for kpop. He'll be like, "Why the heck do you spend so much time these korean celebrities? It's not like they can help you get into college." And he'll say how they're not even handsome and ask me why I have such lousy taste.

And my mom will sometimes accuse me of being a korean-lover but I'm not. I'm just into kpop and noy so much into the culture.

My whole family is from China(Shanghai), so they're quite patriotic you see (haha), but it's my gran that watches korean dramas so my dad has to go download/buy for her. I guess now they're used to seeing the faces of Rain and DBSK on my wall so they can't care less.

Guest boojae<33

i listen to korean and japanese music, and watch korean/japanese dramas. At first my parents were kinda like.. "O.O you can't even understand them. why do you like them so much? You're too obsessed with boybands." but they've accepted the fact that i enjoy korean/japanese stuff now ^^ but.. my brother, he thinks korean stuff are "gay" (he's so racist aye? =.=) oh wells, he can't stop me! muhahaha ^^

Guest momo08

well they do it too! so its no big deal! hehehe i never listen to viet music or watch viet movies..dunno why..maybe its not as captivating as korean drama/music.

AND there are no viet versions of LEE DONG WOOK!

Guest xo_vivi_ox

they watch it with me :)

i dont see anything wrong with people of the other race watching korean dramas/movies or listen to korean songs.

Guest sugar_puff <3

i got my parents watching korean movies/dramas with us!!! muahahahaha

and we listen to k-pop too and my parents just listen along with us =)

Guest Sadana

Everybody thinks you want to be aznnnnn

It's annoying as hell. I don't like anime, and I DON'T want to be asian and I DON'T like skinny girly guys and I don't want to go to a gay bar with drag queens.

If you're white and you happen to think a few asian bands are good, you're labeled as some japanoholic trying to be asian. Which is hardly the case.

Guest INSANE

they don't really react in a way that they are surprised that i am watching/listening to korean stuff. they just think that watching these cramas are a waste of time .__.

lol i was watching jumong and my mom sat down and watched it with me lol

but my bros and sisters arel like WTF are u watching

but it impressed my friends parent's we watch it together

Guest xingjing

My parents watch Korean dramas. Though it's more my mom... in my dad's opinion, the only good Korean drama out there is Dae Jang Geum. And that was because his eyes were glued to the screen while we were watching too. xD

They mind if I watch Korean dramas/any dramas while I'm "doing homework." I've had several lectures on that. xD But, like, we watch Chinese dramas together anyway.

They probably know I listen to Korean music even though I don't blatantly advertise it... in fact, they've never heard me listen to Korean. But they've seen the iTunes window pop up with Korean writing for the songs. xD They tease me a lot because I can read Korean... like, whenever they buy something from our local Asian Supermarket [Korean store]... they're like, "Oh, can you read this?" It's more of a rhetorical question and sort of used to tease me. I learned Japanese once and they made fun of that too. -_________-

But occasionally I get the, "Do you know what they're saying?" and the shrug response. xD

Guest polaris4790

I think it was when Jewel in the Palace debuted in the USA over the summer of 2006 or 2005 ><:::

I just saw the preview commercial [CF] on azn (when we use to have comcast!)...

I actually thought it was a movie!!! seeing how good it was. Well the next week I managed to watch i think the first or 3rd

episode half way. Then my dad took time off his work to also watch it. Then the next day mom mom and brother joined it. BTW the show is not dubbed it was subbed in Eng. So the actors were speaking full Korean and we were reading Eng subs!!

I actually got my whole family interested in the drama!!! hahahaa!!!! Also when Yeng-Sung (I 4got how to spell her name) friend turned harem girl for the Emperor. One of the "evil" girls gave a present to her; she turned her down!! My mom and older

brother were cheering Yeng-Sung on!!! hahahaa!!!! ><::: technically my whole family was.

So we pretty much enjoyed the Korean dramas; my mom wants to buy the whole DVD set.... They aren't against it; the korean music they don't like, just cause they can't understand it. But I still listen to it.

Guest Tara-chan

my parents dont mind cuz they watch Korean dramas themselves.. but my dad sometimes gets annoyed haha

MY dad once asked me do i listen to american music, and i just gave him this dumb glare. My mom doesn't care she just tries to understand what they are saying.

They just say..

"My daughter, watches all kinds of dramas in all kinds of languages."

They don't mind, because I am learning from watching the dramas, I'm learning the language by watching dramas and listening to music.

Everybody thinks you want to be aznnnnn

It's annoying as hell. I don't like anime, and I DON'T want to be asian and I DON'T like skinny girly guys and I don't want to go to a gay bar with drag queens.

That was a handful to say. Is that what an Asian person is to you?

Archived