For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest SHINEjaejoong

They say that we're going to have eyes like them( me, little sister and older sister) I really find it annoying when they say it and they sometimes say: " Why are you watching chinese people?" and im like : " THEY ARE KOREAN FOR THE HUNDRED TIMES!!!" Yea, but most of the time they dont care. My eldest sister likes some of the songs to after school.( diva and ah)

EDIT:

I am not asian, american or anything like that. I am a muslim and live in Norway but come from Tjetjenia.( not in Russia but very close to it)

So you can guess it's weird for someone like me to be into k-pop and dramas. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notafreak924

My parents don't really care that I listen to this kind of music.

My mom likes watching Korean dramas from time to time.

My brother likes it too but never gets interested with the music.

My sisters likes it a lot. They mainly like what I like.

Guest yoko102308

My parents don't care~we lived in Japan so all the Asian-ness stuck to me. So now they are totally supportive because I'm learning another language and culture. <3 my mommy will watch Korean dramas too & she likes Kim Bum Soo. and My brothers are OBSESSED with anything Asian. It's like "Sis, can I watch BOF with you???" <3 or "Pumpkin (mom call me that) I wanna listen to some Kim Bum Soo!"

But my friends that aren't Asian & don't listen to asian music/watch anything are all "WTF is this ****?!? You don't even know what they are saying! (even though I do...)No one cares about this crap" --makes me mad. That and they always assume that if it's Asian, it's Chinese. I refrain from making them feel like an idiot though~Where I live the people aren't very open-minded abut other countries/religions/cultures/ect.

my mom, i dont think she was happy.

my dad, he didnt seem to mind really...

my grandparents were kinda happy about it

my brothers ridiculed me

i'm korean btw lol

sorry for postin in here even tho i am korean. but i felt i kinda fit in since my mom hates korean boybands/korean dramas and my brothers always insulted me about it. lol

Guest selvaspeedy

my parents and sister always have that WTF expression on their faces when they see me watching anything Korean (be it drama/movie/song...etc). and they still can't believe I'm a member in a subbing team to sub Korean dramas! they say: "do you even understand the Korean language?" lol but let them say what they want! cause since I started watching Korean dramas (w/ English subs), my English improved tremendously :P so at least that's a good thing I got from watching Kdramas hehehe

Guest 영원한 사랑

I'm korean and sometimes i listen to japanese music but my parents dont care less.

They think its cool actually.....

Guest ninjakke

they dont really mind, which is not "oh its korean music" but more of, i dont really care overall what is being shot out from the speakers. unless it was completely inappropriate.

Guest yoyopay

They don't care. My mom, sister and brothers watch Kdramas as well. We all loved Full House and Coffee Prince :D My dad, well not so much haha.

And my grandma, yes my grandmother, loves watching Kdramas :P

Guest sheepo

they raise eyebrows sometimes , seeing I can't understand it,

but then I retaliate that there are subtitles :))

whereas if I watch on tv without it, they can make me feel weird by just their presence, lol.

most of the time, though, they just tell me to get lessons. haha XD

Guest april.berry

at first my mom was like "what are you listening?" but then after a while she'd gotten over it because she's also wathcing the dramas that i watch..

for my father it's different.. he just can't process why i listen to a language i'm not totally familiar with. though he still buys me cds and dvds. lol. :D

i also ahve this aunt who totally freaked out when she found out i was fond of korean stuff. she stated out "you should see english movies rather than that so that you'll be able to enhance your english."

duh..

Guest bagalagaa

LOL well my mom watches korean dramas and when she found out I listend to k-pop she was like "why don't you learn mando first?" but she really doesn't mind lmao :)

my mom totally makes fun of me :(

she says that i'll grow up to marry a korean guy, have a kid with small eyes, and my house will smell like seaweed. :(

haha is it just me, or is that soo stereotypical??

my dad...asks me if i can even understand what the singers are saying.

haha he listens to french music... i dont think he understands those songs either -__-

Guest screamxlove

They thought it was weird, but as time wore on, they got used to it :')

Now I wish they would stop obsessing over it. It's annoying.

Guest she leanss

wow, my parents weren't that cool with it at first. they were like, "Why is my daughter listening to korean music?!" they thought it was rare for a person to do that T_T My mom hates it when i watch dramas and they think its a waste of time and a waste of money.

Once my dad was lecturing me saying "Korean stuff doesn't get you anywhere" -_-

its called my antidrug. ahah.

Guest .Demy

My mom thinks it's funny, but she's pretty open-minded and she's used to me obsessing over asian things. lol

Actually, she's a little TOO supportive. She was like, you should join Korean clubs and groups in the area to meet a cute Asian guy who you can get together with. You're never gonna get an asian boyfriend if you sit around and hope for it.

One time she was asking about my favorite Super Junior member and she was like and how old his this Donghae guy? I was like eh, around 22-ish.

She was like, Oh he's not that old. You could date him you know.

I was like wtf mom!? XD

I love my mom, lol.

My step-dad thinks all the bands I like look like girls. He was looking at a picture of Teukie and he was like, she's really pretty. I'd kiss her.

But he's pretty supportive, and he actually remembers most of their names O.o

Guest motherducker

Lol, it was actually my mom that introduced korean dramas and movies to me =P

Then all my friends were into it and I kinda followed along.

One time, in California I bought Super junior CD and my mom was looking at the cd booklet which had all the members' pictures and my mom said "why do they all look like girls? I like my men manly" xD!! I rofl'd

Hmm, I really dont listen to korean music a lot, my parents usually see me listening to j-rock (sometimes with screaming and yelling >__>) and they're always like "EW this is so bad, why you do you like it?

One time I made them play my Alice Nine cd in the car and they were just quiet .__.

Archived