Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

im recording some music to make a cd for someone and im newb at this so im in desperate need of help.

i've downloaded cool record edit pro i recorded a song and when i went to click save it said that option is only available for those who pay for the product.

so heres my question. is there any other program that will let me do this for free?

i dont do this often so i dont think its necessary for me to purchase this.. =(

the only option i used on the cool edit pro was to make the whole thing a bit louder.

please let me know if there are any other programs that i can use! THANK YOU!!!

try www.download.com there's a lot of good recording software for free in there. :)

Guest --KagedKore787--

what you hear in your head is different than what you hear when

when it's recorded. So what you recorded is what your voice actually

sounds like.

that's not quite true. many things lower the accuracy of your voice when it's recorded. it could be the result of your room acoustics, your recorder, or your speakers.

or it could just be that you percieve your voice differently than what it actually comes out as x: kind of like a reality check? (I'm not trying to blast you or anything. I never thought I sounded like a kid but I realized how kiddish I sound when speaking only after recording, etc.)

Guest LucKy#1

when i try to sing high, my voice gets, not cracked up, how should i say this......here i'll upload: http://www.mediafire.com/?uymwc94x50u

my voice is naturally high and even when i talk i feel like something is in my throat or like someone is squeezing. any tips of what like what to drink/eat to make it better?

Guest meshelle_so_rawrness

I have a question

My voice always sounds a bit weak when i sing.

Is there anyway I can make it stronger?

Guest happypie

this is something i've been wondering for a while now.. how you guys record your songs?

no, not how do you record songs, but more like how YOU specifically do it.

for instance.. do you listen to the actual song with headphones and sing along with it or maybe you listen to the MR on headphones and sing? or do you just sing acapella and mix it with the instrumental when you're done? just something i'm curious about.

Guest BEBixAMY

meshelle_so_rawr... be conscious of your diaphragm when you're singing. Don't THINK about using your stomach, but just be aware that the sound comes from inside your body, not in the throat area. Take deeper breaths and gently "push" the sound out.

happypie

I use Cool Edit Pro. You can create sessions, import the instrumental onto a layer. (Layer 1)

then i run a recording on the second layer. When i record, it plays the first layer at the same time it's recording on the second layer, so i dont have to worry about mixing it later.

I have a double jack for my speakers, so i have headphones and my comp speakers play at the same time.. I just turn off the computer speakers while im recording and listen through the headphones, and when i listen back to it.. i turn my speaker on.

Guest CtlunatC

what do you listen for when you try to imitate the tone of a song??? basically what do you listen for in tone?

Guest truevibesgal2003

hi guys,

I currently ran into an issue with recording equipments; basically i own an Samson C01U USB Condenser Mic & MS 7701B Euro Boom Mic Stand. But the sizes of the SCREWS are different, therefore I'm unable to hook the mic onto the stand. From what I understand, there are two major types of threads (5/8 and 3/8). Do any of you know where and what MIC ADAPTOR i should get?

Thanks!

*MC Jia*

Guest 5imply_5wt

im recording some music to make a cd for someone and im newb at this so im in desperate need of help.

i've downloaded cool record edit pro i recorded a song and when i went to click save it said that option is only available for those who pay for the product.

so heres my question. is there any other program that will let me do this for free?

i dont do this often so i dont think its necessary for me to purchase this.. =(

the only option i used on the cool edit pro was to make the whole thing a bit louder.

please let me know if there are any other programs that i can use! THANK YOU!!!

you can use audacity =D great program and it's free ^^ http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

==========================================

anyways i have a question when it comes to recording.. sometimes if i sing and i don't pull back my mic, there's that really loud buzz that's created.. T-T how do i get rid of that??

this is something i've been wondering for a while now.. how you guys record your songs?

no, not how do you record songs, but more like how YOU specifically do it.

for instance.. do you listen to the actual song with headphones and sing along with it or maybe you listen to the MR on headphones and sing? or do you just sing acapella and mix it with the instrumental when you're done? just something i'm curious about.

^I listen to the original w/ earphones so it'd be like singing acapella.

Though, i listen to it only on one side and cup in my other ear to see if i'm hitting the right notes.

Helps A LOTtttt. :P

Then afterwards, i mix in the acapella clips w/ the instrumental. =)

Guest kayzpal

I'm using Audacity.

I was listening to Changmin's Two Hearts and I was wondering...

how can you make your voice like in 0:51?

Anyone?

Guest --KagedKore787--

I'm using Audacity.

I was listening to Changmin's Two Hearts and I was wondering...

how can you make your voice like in 0:51?

Anyone?

that's pretty much a basic frequency editing via an equalizer. if you're not familiar with equalizers and/or frequencies, it might be confusing. i don't know what audacity has, but that effect is usually accomplished through an equalizer to remove the frequencies below around 1000 Hz and above 3000 Hz. It will produce that telephone-like quality (and this is what actually happnes in telephones).

Guest JaeHoLove

I have a question

My voice always sounds a bit weak when i sing.

Is there anyway I can make it stronger?

Maybe you can try to breathe in air into your stomach instead of lungs..?

Try to suck in air through your nose or maybe mouth and make sure your shoulder and lungs do not move when you breathe, instead let your stomach to expand... I don't know how to explain but that way, your voice will automatically sound more stable and louder... that's what my choir senior taught me, but this kind of things take years to train to sound really like those professional singers...

Also, maybe you can harden your voice when you reach high notes....

And the best way is to practice and practice and practice everyday.. Practice and concentrate on one song and when you nailed it, go for another song and the best is every songs you learn to sing has different style and different way of singing, also listened a lot to the original singer before you sing that song, listen well to how they sing them...know the lyrics super well will help too....

Guest floppy.pocky

Sorry sorry sorry if this has been asked already?

but how do you know if you're singing with falsetto or not?

I seem to be doing it unconsciously.... :blink:

A falsetto is also known as a 'second voice' or 'fake voice' or in the singing terminology 'unnatural tone'. A falsetto is not meant to be used for singing a full song or most part of a song. It is used for parts of a song to give off a different effect.

A common error that many people do is, sing in falsetto. Why? Because, when they sing in falsetto subconciously they feel and think that they are reaching the high keys that they hear from other singers but reality-wise: they're not.

You could've asked us in your thread...lol. The easiest way to tell is to talk normally and be conscious of how you sound. Now sing the catchy chorus of the song by B.E.G do you notice the difference?

- Floppy&Pocky

Guest angel_cutie

for vibrato...are you suppose to feel vibration in you stomache/diaphram AND throat???

because i can only feel the vibation in my throat and i cant tell if anywhere else is vibrating -.-" and i havent gotten a chance to talk to my teacher about it...

Guest aznboy2194

Ahh

angel_cutie I am seeing you everywhere I go

><

stalker

jk

well this thread is a good review for some and good technique for others

Helped me quite a bit thanks for your time to put this thread for helping/informing others!