NBA

Guest Chioster

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I just heard that.

Yao is gone, Artest is traded to Lakers...Sad to hear that since they did so well this year.

he can't get traded to the lakers, he wasn't under contract. but then again you can't always trust ron artest unless either the lakers say it's official.

hopefully Houston can acquire Ariza and Gortat, after all that effort the GM is putting to get him. unless the rumors are true that he's close to signing with the Mavs.

he can't get traded to the lakers, he wasn't under contract. but then again you can't always trust ron artest unless either the lakers say it's official.

hopefully Houston can acquire Ariza and Gortat, after all that effort the GM is putting to get him. unless the rumors are true that he's close to signing with the Mavs.

Haha yeah. I forgot what source I got this from but:

"(If there's such a thing as a player being a bad source regarding his own negotiations, it would likely apply to Artest.) "

Guest IwishIwasKOREAN

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/davi...kers/index.html

They reached an agreement Thursday with Houston Rockets free agent forward Ron Artest on a five-year deal using the team's mid-level exception that would pay Artest a little more $32 million based on last season's mid-level amount of $5.585 million. Artest will have an out in the contract after the fourth season, according to a source, and will be allowed to make the contract into a three-year deal if he changes his mind between now and next Wednesday, the first official day that players can sign contracts for the 2009-10 season.

The 29-year-old Artest might be inclined to go for a shorter deal to give him the chance at another contract after this one expires. By signing for three years, Artest would regain his "Larry Bird" rights, which allow a team to go over the salary cap in order to re-sign its own players and pay those players an additional year's salary. That would also apply if Artest wanted to leave the Lakers after three years; he'd get an additional year if the Lakers agreed to a sign-and-trade deal for him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303862

The Houston Rockets have answered the defection of Ron Artest to the Los Angeles Lakers by quickly reaching an agreement to sign Trevor Ariza away from L.A.

Ariza NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that Ariza made a verbal commitment Tuesday night to sign a five-year deal with the Rockets on Wednesday -- the first day free agents are permitted to sign new contracts -- not long after the Lakers and Artest reached terms on a three-year deal worth an estimated $18 million.

ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan reports that Ariza, according to sources, will receive the Rockets' full mid-level exception, which is being projected to come in at $5.8 million for next season. If the exception for the 2009-10 season is indeed set at $5.8 million Wednesday when the league announces next season's salary cap and luxury tax, Ariza's deal would be worth $33.5 million.

Haha yeah. I forgot what source I got this from but:

"(If there's such a thing as a player being a bad source regarding his own negotiations, it would likely apply to Artest.) "

Technically, both Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza can sign and trade to get more money and that's if the teams were willing to do that. Both players can't sign deals until Wednesday, but if it's as Free agents the most is the MLE.

I don't know what to say about the Ariza/Artest situation. All I know is I am

not getting an Ariza jersey anymore and my hatred for Artest is still alive

and well.

So much for loving LA and wanting to play in LA. Greed....

Guest lakers

and well.

man, i still prefer ariza over artest. SHIIIIIIIIIII

Guest DOVAHKIIN

With trevor ariza most likely booking it, what are they going to do? Just resigning odom isn't going to make them a contender next year...do they have to resign Odom using their MLE? or would they still have it assuming ariza jets off to cleveland or houston...

They can re-sign Odom for any amount because he has the Bird rights exception.

You guys need to learn more about contracts.

the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

^^^ I agree .... I think it's an okay move for next season with the signing ... I wanted Lebron 2010. Haha xD

And I wonder what's going to happen with Rip and Gordon. We all know the Rip doesn't want to sit on the bench and Gordon wants to be a starter now.

Where the heck did you get that from? Fail.

"Ben agreed to come here knowing he would come off the bench," the source said. "That makes it completely different than Iverson coming here ... Gordon is choosing to come here and play the super sub role."

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/davi...ings/index.html

and well.

Ariza said after the Lakers' championship run that he was hoping to stay there. But his agent, David Lee, told KRIV-TV in Houston that Ariza got the impression that the Lakers didn't want him anymore.

"It was never about the money," Lee said. "It was about being at a place where he felt wanted and appreciated."

I don`t get Ariza. Lakers offered him the MLE, he flipped out. Rockets offer him MLE, and so did other teams, and he inks the contract.

It`s funny how so many Lakers fans are reluctant to be happy about this deal with Artest. I know Ariza was a fan favorite and Artest is like public enemy number one, but for the MLE, I`d take Artest anyday.

Guest bittersweet ♥

man, i still prefer ariza over artest. SHIIIIIIIIIII

agreed.

i hate artest's temper. so volatile.

Guest endlessrain

Wtf Ariza..i dont get contracts but yeah from what i got up there, Ariza didnt like the MLE pay from the Lakers but will get a lil bit more with the Rockets..wtf is he thinking ugh :(

ariza felt like he was disrespected, but the mle would have given him 2 mil more than what he previously earned...how is that disrespect? he thinks too highly of himself hes not some goto standout player, hes a great roleplayer and thats it...good riddance, enjoy mediocrity over there in houston unless yao is healthy.

Guest KorEaN

ariza was always my favorite laker besides kobe because of his huge plays such as his steals throughout the season and playoffs. sighh its gonna be tough not seeing him in yellow and purple but no doubt ron artest will be able to make up the loss of ariza.

Where the heck did you get that from? Fail.

While the 6-11 Villanueva can easily slip into the starting lineup, the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Gordon does not seem to have a spot secured.

Gordon likely has to replace leading scorer Richard Hamilton at shooting guard or come off the bench behind him.

Gordon was voted the NBA's top reserve in 2005 and if he accepts that role again, the Pistons would have an intriguing three-guard rotation with him, Hamilton and Rodney Stuckey.

Gordon or Hamilton may a problem with coming off the bench and the next coach could have to deal with poor chemistry just as Curry did. Gordon is just ready for the next chapter.

"Once I tried to sign [the Bulls'] offer last year and the deadline passed and I signed the qualifying offer, I knew leaving was a possibility," Gordon said, according to the Tribune. "Really I don't have any mixed feelings. I'm just excited about my future with the Pistons."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301111

First time seeing the article you posted. I was just reiterating an opinion stated by the ESPN analyst.

Iono ... either way ... I don't like having them for that long. I would've rather waited and made a splash in next year's free agent class.

Guest polka_dotts

ariza felt like he was disrespected, but the mle would have given him 2 mil more than what he previously earned...how is that disrespect? he thinks too highly of himself hes not some goto standout player, hes a great roleplayer and thats it...good riddance, enjoy mediocrity over there in houston unless yao is healthy.

ariza being a go-to player or a role-player has nothing to do with this. we really shouldn't under or over esimate players and what they do and what they can do. regardless of whether he is a go-to player or a role-player, he definitely proved himself to be worth more in ths postseason. with that said, i am sad to see him leave (no #3 jersey for me no more) and wish him the best. either way, the NBA is a business and business is about making money...

on a side note, it would be crazy though if ariza went to the cavs and the cavs ended up winning the championship next year against the lakers. for the second time, he could and would get a ring against a former team. ha. but that doesn't look like it's gon happens since ariza has apparently accepted the rocket's offer (verbally at least, according to espn the last time i checked it).

Ariza knew how to play the triangle and I can't see where Artest would fit in. They're saying it's the new gen of Jordan & Rodman? Ehh. But I guess Artest would bring an aggressive edge to the Lakers, and hopefully he'll take care of that temper.

Does anyone else think it's Ariza's agent's fault that everything happened? He bluffed saying Ariza won't leave, hoping the Lakers would up the salary, but obviously it failed.

I still think Artest is better off killing vampires as Blade's sidekick.

Guest melo.breeze

^^^

agreed, i really do think that it's the agent that screwed everything over.

totally pisses me off that he may leave.

but i'll be optimistic and wait till wednesday when they do sign those contracts.

a lot can happen within now and wednesday so we'll see how it pans out.

if ronron does come to the lakers then hopefully he'll fit in,

i mean gasol came into the lakers during the season and reaped good rewards,

so a matter of chemistry shouldn't be too big of a deal if the zen master decides

to coach for another year.

Archived