NBA

Guest Chioster

Guest watcher
You were saying?

i said what i said. they underperformed [my expectations] last game. let's see how it rolls out. i'm not one to admit i'm wrong if i am.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GO!zilla

Again NBA agrees Tayshaun > Pierce on defense.

Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett and Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant were among the players named on the NBA All-Defensive team on Monday.

Garnett was picked on the first team for the ninth consecutive year while Bryant, the league's most valuable player, was chosen for the eighth time.

Last season's Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Camby of the Denver Nuggets completed the selection along with the San Antonio Spurs pairing of Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen

The Houston Rockets' Shane Battier, Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets and the Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard were named on the All-Defensive second team alongside Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons and Raja Bell of the Phoenix Suns .

Guest watcher
um, honestly. How many times would you even take a charge in a pickup game? I know i wouldnt, it hurts. If i get paid than yes i would.

I really dont care if Pau gets the flops calls or not. I just want them to call the pushing and the abuse he's been getting.

never! hehe... you go for the block! besides... not like they get free throws in pick up games. :P

Guest DOVAHKIIN
Again NBA agrees Tayshaun > Pierce on defense.

Yep, 30 coaches. No bias. Foolproof judgment. They can't vote for their own players, what do they got to lose? They must always be right.

AK47 and Artest didn't make the team. Therefore, by natural logic because the votes say so, Prince must be a better defender than them.

Therefore, because the votes said so, Dirk deserved the MVP over everyone else last season.

On another note:

Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Lenny Wilkens, Walt Bellamy, Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Dave DeBusschere, Willis Reed, Billy Cunningham, Rick Barry, Dave Bing, Earl Monroe, Walt Frazier and Elvin Hayes. :ph34r: *whistles*

Guest xsilentangel

Not this Tayshaun and Pierce thing brought up yet AGAIN..

Let's just see how Lebron does tonight again. (Bad bad bad in this series due to good defense by PAUL PIERCE, James Posey, and several other Celtics)

Guest GO!zilla
Yep, 30 coaches. No bias. Foolproof judgment. They can't vote for their own players, what do they got to lose? They must always be right.

AK47 and Artest didn't make the team. Therefore, by natural logic because the votes say so, Prince must be a better defender than them.

Therefore, because the votes said so, Dirk deserved the MVP over everyone else last season.

lol will. Ak47 a good defender? maybe a good shot blocker but is he better than Garnett / Camby / Duncan / Dwight?

yea okay. and stop putting words in my mouth. gg

Guest DOVAHKIIN
lol will. Ak47 a good defender? maybe a good shot blocker but is he better than Garnett / Camby / Duncan / Dwight?

yea okay. and stop putting words in my mouth. gg

Ak47 only made the Defensive Team 3 times.

OOOHHHH, but so did Prince...

Ain't no one putting words in your mouth.

Guest GO!zilla
Ak47 only made the Defensive Team 3 times.

OOOHHHH, but so did Prince...

Ain't no one putting words in your mouth.

and you only answered my question. right.

and yea my statement justifies why Dirk got MVP (blame the writers).

btw I'm sucking on Kobe's Richard. want to join?

it sure does taste better than no good Pierces.

btw the Coaches of these teams know absolutely nothing about defense and their votes are meaningless because we know more about the league than they do.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

The Dirk MVP example was merely another example of how NBA votes don't justify things unanimously.

Just like Prince.

Answer to your irrelevant question about Garnett / Camby / Duncan / Dwight to AK47? No, he's not a better defender that those four -- Keeping in mind, Kirilenko plays primarily SF, so the only realistic fair comparison would be to Garnett anyway. (who then again, primarily defends the 4)

My statement justifies why AK47 is a good defender equal to or better than Prince. You're skeptic towards his defense, I'm merely pointing out his accomplishments according to what the NBA thinks. But his individual performances most definitely don't lie.

Guest GO!zilla
The Dirk MVP example was merely another example of how NBA votes don't justify things unanimously.

Just like Prince.

Answer to your irrelevant question about Garnett / Camby / Duncan / Dwight to AK47? No, he's not a better defender that those four -- Keeping in mind, Kirilenko plays primarily SF, so the only realistic fair comparison would be to Garnett anyway. (who then again, primarily defends the 4)

My statement justifies why AK47 is a good defender equal to or better than Prince. You're skeptic towards his defense, I'm merely pointing out his accomplishments according to what the NBA thinks. But his individual performances don't lie either.

I mentioned those names because they were the "forward/centers" that were voted in. And how is it irrelevant? AK47 and All Defensive Team conversation with All Defensive Team players are totally irrelevant... okay. And I'm merely pointing out what NBA thinks of Prince compared to Pierce. Prince's accomplishments and individual performances don't lie and the NBA Coaches (not WRITERS) obviously thinks so as well.

Guest DOVAHKIIN
And how is it irrelevant? AK47 and All Defensive Team conversation with All Defensive Team players are totally irrelevant... okay.

Alright don't use AK47 as an example.

Let's have an All-Defensive Team conversation with other All-Defensive Team players. Is it relevant for me to compare Kobe or Camby's a better defender? When they play different positions, different areas on the court, guard different positions?

Camby: He swats the ball like the maniac and grabs big boards in the post! The only Nugget that actually plays proper defense.

Kobe: Total lock-down perimeter defender, great offense starts with great defense.

Who's the better defender? You can't compare them if they play exceptionally efficient but different defense.

Just like how Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard are in the post scrapping night in and night out with other big guys because they're the prototypical post players offensively and defensively. Kirilenko? Quick tall guy that can swat and steal the ball, and plays on the wing, not the post. If all Kirilenko could do was block shots and isn't a good defender, then his three-time Defensive All-Team status are unjustified. So you can't compare him to those other players.

14 points, eight boards, nine assists, seven blocks and six steals against Lakers? Only second player in NBA history with 6+ in each category? 5x5 threat? That's something.

17 out of 29 coaches voted for Prince. That's 12 coaches unaccounted for, leaving room freely for speculation and skepticism.

Guest GO!zilla
Alright don't use AK47 as an example.

Let's have an All-Defensive Team conversation with other All-Defensive Team players. Is it relevant for me to compare Kobe or Camby's a better defender? When they play different positions, different areas on the court, guard different positions?

Camby: He swats the ball like the maniac and grabs big boards in the post! The only Nugget that actually plays proper defense.

Kobe: Total lock-down perimeter defender, great offense starts with great defense.

Who's the better defender? You can't compare them if they play exceptionally efficient but different defense.

Just like how Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard are in the post scrapping night in and night out with other big guys because they're the prototypical post players offensively and defensively. Kirilenko? Quick tall guy that can swat and steal the ball, and plays on the wing, not the post. If all Kirilenko could do was block shots and isn't a good defender, then his three-time Defensive All-Team status are unjustified. So you can't compare him to those other players.

14 points, eight boards, nine assists, seven blocks and six steals against Lakers? Only second player in NBA history with 6+ in each category? 5x5 threat? That's something.

17 out of 29 coaches voted for Prince. That's 12 coaches unaccounted for, leaving room freely for speculation and skepticism.

And this was from the Paul Pierce vs. Tayshaun Prince discussion because they totally have different roles as defenders right?

And I did say don't put words in my mouth. No where did I say Kirilenko was a bad defender and I asked if Kirilenko was a better

defender with the likes of the ones that did make the defensive teams in which you specifically said "NO." Which mean you already

compared Kirilenko to other positioned players. Despite stats, you can see who is a good defender or

not when you watch the players on a regular basis (and i guess Coach, since coaches vote on these).

There are way more factors to determine who is a good defender and not. Help defense, spot defense, transition defense,

defensive awareness, shot altering ability, off the ball defense and such. Indeed there are 12 coaches unaccounted for but

also 17 coaches that thought Prince was a better defender than Pierce. Nobody is saying Pierce can't defend, people just seem to observe that

Prince is more valuable as a defender than Pierce.

Please observe Prince's off the ball defense and with that alone you'll know why he gets the recognition yearly.

Unlike other players, he rarely slacks off on defense.

Guest mofo

AK47 is a good defender..he's long and lean, very athletic.

i remember last year's playoffs against the rockets, kirilenko completely owned t-mac on like 4 straight possessions.

never! hehe... you go for the block! besides... not like they get free throws in pick up games. :P

Imagine shaq coming at you and your the only one back to stop him from dunking. Take the charge or block him? hmm.. id just get out of the way and let him score.

Anyways. If AK47 has better defensive IQ, than he'd be an elite defender. But lacking that, he is only an above average/good defender

Guest xsilentangel

Stupid Celtics playing lazy at the very end.

Doc put starters in kind of late, but ironic how they lost points rather than get the lead.

Gibson is impressive.

We played well but we definitely need to step it up offensively.

What the heck are Ray Allen and Paul Pierce doing..

I really want to win it with six games, last one at their home.

Those friggin TNT commentators suck.

"OMG LEBRON LEBRON LEBRON"

I think I heard two positive things about the Celtics.

Guest GO!zilla
dang... home court advantage adding up to a lot in this second round so far...

ya it's surprising because first round was cake for most of the top seeded teams except for the likes of Celtics.

Second round... the teams looked like they are more evenly matched.

Archived