[Drama 2024] The Frog/In the Woods With No One, 아무도 없는 숲속에서

larus

Be careful who you welcome
Kim Yun-Seok, Yoon Kye-Sang, Go Min-Si, and Lee Jung-Eun star in this crime thriller about a woman who shatters the peace of a secluded pension.
'The Frog' is coming August 23, only on Netflix!

4b768c51-76de-46d6-8045-654545307591.jpg

b6e21a01-d5be-46cd-88ee-b45761d1a876.jpg
f52f6b85-2e1f-4433-bae6-28b8b86b4f21.jpg

Spoiler

5a9b3770-dc44-48f5-a618-33446ecf05f2.jpg

Spoiler

Kim Yun Seok And Yoon Kye Sang Encounter Mysterious Guests Go Min Si And Lee Jung Eun In Upcoming Thriller Drama

Kim Yun Seok And Yoon Kye Sang Encounter Mysterious Guests Go Min Si And Lee Jung Eun In Upcoming Thriller Drama "The Frog"

Netflix’s original series “The Frog” has released eerie and mysterious posters featuring Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, Go Min Si, and Lee Jung Eun!

“The Frog” is a mystery thriller that tells the story of two pension owners who live in different timelines: Gu Sang Jun (Yoon Kye Sang), who runs a motel in the past, and Jeon Young Ha (Kim Yun Seok), who runs a pension in the present. When similar incidents occur to each man, the two make completely different decisions.

The first two posters of Sang Jun and Young Ha feature the tagline that reads, “On a peaceful day,” while the posters of Seong A (Go Min Si) and Bo Min (Lee Jung Eun) have the copy, “An unwelcome guest has arrived.” These taglines hint at the tangled relationships between the four characters, raising curiosity about their connections.

The posters contrast Young Ha’s meaningful expression against the backdrop of a sunlit forest with Seong A’s intense gaze in a rain-drenched forest. The images create a striking contrast. Tension builds as Young Ha, who runs a guesthouse in a remote forest, faces unexpected guest Seong A, setting the stage for potential conflicts.

the-frog-1.jpgthe-frog-2.jpg

Additionally, the posters showing Sang Jun with a dazed look and Bo Min peering through a slightly open door are also particularly striking. Sang Jun runs a lakeview motel and gets caught up in a mysterious incident after an unexpected guest arrives one summer day. The story piques interest in how Bo Min, a former ace detective now serving as a local police chief, will handle the case.

the-frog-3.jpg

Spoiler

the-frog-4.jpg

The intense expressions of Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, Go Min Si, and Lee Jung Eun add depth to the drama, showcasing their strong acting chemistry and heightening anticipation for the series.

Kim Yun Seok, making his return to drama for the first time in 17 years, described, “The drama vividly depicts how an unexpected guest disrupts the lives of ordinary people, offering a rare story that hasn’t been seen in Korea before.” He hints at the whirlwind of events that will impact the characters and promises a gripping suspense thriller to cool down the hot summer.

“The Frog” is set to premiere on August 23. Stay tuned!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1678941wpp/kim-yun-seok-and-yoon-kye-sang-encounter-the-mysterious-go-min-si-and-lee-jung-eun-in-upcoming-thriller-drama-the-frog

• Like 1

Spoiler

Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, Go Min Si, And Lee Jung Eun Get Drawn Into A Whirlwind Of Emotions In

Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, Go Min Si, And Lee Jung Eun Get Drawn Into A Whirlwind Of Emotions In "The Frog"

Netflix’s original series “The Frog” has released new stills featuring Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, Go Min Si, and Lee Jung Eun!

“The Frog” is a mystery thriller that tells the story of two pension owners who live in different timelines: Gu Sang Jun (Yoon Kye Sang), who runs a motel in the past, and Jeon Young Ha (Kim Yun Seok), who runs a pension in the present. When similar incidents occur to each man, the two make completely different decisions.

Kim Yun Seok take on the role of Jeon Young Ha, who runs a lodge deep in the forest. He left Seoul to fulfill his wife’s wish and now runs the lodge filled with memories of her, all by himself. One day, the unexpected arrival of a guest, Yu Seong A (Go Min Si), throws him into an uncontrollable whirlwind of events.

The-Frog-01.jpeg

Regarding his character, Kim Yun Seok shared, “Young Ha is in constant conflict throughout the story. Seong A continuously provokes him. I wanted to convey and express the struggle between Seong A, who tries to instill and conquer the monster inside Young Ha, and Young Ha, who resists this.”

The-Frog-05.jpeg

Yoon Kye Sang plays Gu Sang Jun, the owner of a motel with a view of a lake and the head of a family. While living a diligent life, he finds himself on the brink of losing everything due to an unexpected guest.

The-Frog-02.jpeg

Yoon Kye Sang explained, “There are moments when a person, who has lived diligently and is full of love, suddenly experiences great shock and cannot naturally express their emotions. I wanted to carefully navigate and portray those gaps.”

Spoiler

The-Frog-06.jpeg

Go Min Si stars as Yu Seong A, the uninvited guest who disrupts Young Ha’s once peaceful life. Seong A becomes obsessed with Young Ha’s lodge, causing a significant upheaval in his previously tranquil existence.

Spoiler

The-Frog-03.jpeg

Go Min Si remarked, “I remember feeling a chill run through my body every time I read the script. The flow of the story and the strength of the character relationships were so compelling that I couldn’t help but be completely absorbed.”

Spoiler

The-frog-07.jpeg

Lee Jung Eun takes on the role of Yun Bo Min, a former ace detective from the Violent Crimes Unit who is now a local police chief. Bo Min approaches cases with unique intuition, adding tension to the story.

Spoiler

The-Frog-04.jpeg

Lee Jung Eun revealed, “I once watched a documentary where a detective mentioned that you need to understand a criminal to catch them and spoke about the thrill of capturing them. Inspired by this, I approached Bo Min’s character with the idea that beyond professional ethics, it is the ‘desire to catch’ that drives her.”

Spoiler

The-frog-08.jpeg

“The Frog” is set to premiere on August 23. Stay tuned!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1679335wpp/kim-yun-seok-yoon-kye-sang-go-min-si-and-lee-jung-eun-get-drawn-into-a-whirlwind-of-emotions-in-the-frog

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, August 6, 2024

Netflix's original The Frog unveiled character stills.

The Frog is a suspense thriller that tells the story of people whose peaceful lives are upended due to a mysterious guest who arrives in the middle of summer. 

The stills of Young Ha (Kim Yoon Seok), who operates a pension located in the forest, capture his deep gaze, piquing curiosity about what might have happened to him. Young Ha is a character who, in accordance with his wife's wish, left Seoul and now runs the pension alone, which contains memories of his wife. One summer day, an unexpected guest, Seong Ha (Go Min Si), comes to his pension and pulls him into a whirlwind of uncontrollable events. 

eYr00n_2f.jpg

Spoiler

rN3WWg_2f.jpg

Kim Yoon Seok shared, "Young Ha experiences conflict throughout the drama. Seong Ha continuously provokes him. I wanted to convey and express the battle between Seong Ha, who aims to put a put and conquer a monster within Young Ha's heart, and Young Ha, who resists this." This series marks Kim Yoon Seok's return to series work after 17 years, and he expressed, "This is my first Netflix project and a long-awaited series. I believe this work will resonate both domestically and internationally. I hope many works with such powerful narratives will be produced."

Sang Joon (Yoon Kye Sang), wearing contrasting expressions of smiling and deep worry, also draws attention. Sang Joon is the owner of a motel with a lake view and the head of a family who faces a crisis of losing everything due to a guest he receives by chance on a rainy summer day. Yoon Kye Sang said, "I wanted to express the essence of being a sincere and good person, so I focused on stripping away any embellishments and trying to be pure." He added, “There are heavy moments when a person who has lived hard and has a lot of love suddenly experiences a huge shock and cannot naturally express their emotions. I wanted to adjust that gap well." 

QJB887_2f.jpg

Spoiler

0w8zze_2f.jpg

The character Seong Ha, who suddenly appears in midsummer and upends the tranquil life of Young Ha, is played by Go Min Si. Seong Ha becomes obsessed with Young Ha's pension and unleashes chaos in his life. The actress revealed, "I remember getting chills all over my body every time I read the script. I was deeply immersed in the story's flow and the power of the character relationships that I couldn’t help but focus so much," sharing the behind-the-scenes of how she became absorbed in the project. She also mentioned, "The character Seong Ha was the most challenging [one I have ever played]. I didn't want to make her a simple or predictable character; I wanted to create her as a character that was new to me."

wJ3xx8_2f.jpg

Spoiler

1wkmm7_2f.jpg

Lee Jung Eun will play Bo Min, a former ace of the violent crimes unit, who is driven by the instinct to catch criminals. Having worked at a village police station 20 years ago, Bo Min leaves the violent crimes unit in Seoul and returns to become the station chief. She keeps a close eye on Young Ha whom she met by chance. Lee Jung Eun said, "I saw a detective in a documentary saying how a detective needs to read a criminal to catch them and the thrill of doing so. Accordingly, I approached [the character of] Bo Min with the mindset that the desire to catch someone drives her actions." She added, "I've often played impulsive and emotional characters, but Bo Min is different. I worked with the director to learn and develop new aspects such as driving and shooting scenes."

Spoiler

4eNyyr_2f.jpg

https://mydramalist.com/article/the-frog-actors-dish-on-the-reason-they-chose-the-work-behind-the-scenes-process-and-more

• Like 1

News bites: August 7, 2024

by tccolb

e7a9c033-3f70-40a1-890c-6966511c88ab.png

Character posters have hopped in for Netflix’s The Frog, with Kim Yoon-seok (Noryang: Deadly Sea), Yoon Kye-sang (The Kidnapping Day), Go Min-shi (Sweet Home 3), and Lee Jung-eun (Miss Night and Day) headlining the creepy suspense-thriller. The 8-episode story will be delivering its chills on August 23, with writer Sohn Ho-young and PD Mo Wan-il (A Couple’s World) leading production. [MBC]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/08/news-bites-august-7-2024/

20240811100348_the-frog-2-1.jpg?s=900x60

Watch: Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, Go Min Si, And Lee Jung Eun Are Unexpectedly Intertwined In Chilling "The Frog" Teaser

Aug 11, 2024
by S Nam

Netflix’s original series “The Frog” has unveiled a frightening new teaser!

The newly released teaser depicts a peaceful forest where Gu Sang Jun and Jeon Young Ha are each cleaning their motels. Gu Sang Jun narrates, “It was a run-of-the mill motel in a country town,” as he cleans his Lake View Motel and greets guests in a friendly manner.

However, one rainy summer night, an unexpected guest arrives, putting Gu Sang Jun at risk of losing everything precious to him. Gu Sang Jun shares, “A couple days ago, a madman stayed at my motel.”

Similarly, Jeon Young Ha receives an unwanted guest, revealing, “Right now, a crazy person is at my motel too,” raising anticipation for how the two are intertwined. Guest Yu Seong A (Go Min Si) unexpectedly asks Jeon Young Ha, “What if I asked you to sell me this house?” Ace detective Yun Bo Min (Lee Jung Eun) also adds another layer of intrigue with her arrival to the site of the motel where the mystery unfolds.

As the teaser winds to a close, Gu Sang Jun narrates, “A frog got hit by a stone thrown carelessly. Who threw the stone? Why’d it have to hit me?”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1680477wpp/watch-kim-yun-seok-yoon-kye-sang-go-min-si-and-lee-jung-eun-are-unexpectedly-intertwined-in-chilling-the-frog-teaser

• Like 1

Kim Yun Seok, Yoon Kye Sang, And Lee Jung Eun Have Their Lives Disturbed By Go Min Si's Appearance In "The Frog"

Aug 13, 2024
by S Kim

Netflix’s original series “The Frog” has released new stills featuring Kim Yun SeokYoon Kye SangGo Min Si, and Lee Jung Eun!

The newly released stills below feature Kim Yun Seok, who transforms into Young Ha, the owner of a pension deep in the forest. From peaceful moments sitting by the pool with a child to tense moments where he holds a gun after encountering the unexpected guest Seong A (Go Min Si), a stark contrast in the atmosphere before and after Seong A’s appearance raises curiosity as to how Young Ha’s life will change.

the-frog-copy.jpg

the-frog-6.jpg

More stills below capture Sang Jun (Yoon Kye Sang), the owner of Lakeview Motel, who is taken aback by the unexpected visit by detectives. This hints that Sang Jun, who was peacefully running the motel with his wife, also gets caught up in an uncontrollable whirlwind of events due to a guest.

the-frog-000.jpg

Spoiler

the-frog-copy-3.jpg

Go Min Si stars as Seong A, a mysterious and unwelcome guest at Young Ha’s pension. After her initial visit, Seong A completely disrupts Young Ha’s peaceful life.

the-frog-copy-2.jpg

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1681147wpp/kim-yun-seok-yoon-kye-sang-and-lee-jung-eun-have-their-lives-disturbed-by-go-min-sis-appearance-in-the-frog

by Lily Alice, August 13, 2024
2  3

Netflix dropped 18 stills for its upcoming series The Frog.

The Frog is a suspense thriller that tells the story of people whose peaceful lives are upended because of a mysterious guest who arrives in the middle of summer. 

The stills of Young Ha (Kim Yoon Seok), the owner of a pension deep in the woods, first give serene glimpses such as him sitting by the pool with a child, and more somber moments like staring out the window and wiping the sink. But, another still shows him holding a gun, heightening curiosity about how his life will change after the arrival of an unexpected guest. 

wJ3noN_2f.png

Spoiler

4eNpQJ_2f.png

wJ3nLN_2f.png

Xdzwqw_2f.png

Meanwhile, the stills of Sang Joon (Yoon Kye Sang), the owner of a motel with a scenic view of the lake, show a change in the air when he warmly bids farewell to a guest to when he faces a crisis when detectives visit the place and the time when he is blocked from entering his building due to a crowd. These stills depict how Sang Joon's peaceful life running his business with his wife is upended by an unexpected guest. 

WPemVO_2f.png

Spoiler

pd3veE_2f.png

60Npq0_2f.png

Z8Q1yJ_2f.png

1wkpey_2f.png

Yoo Seong Ha (Go Min Si) is the mysterious and unexpected guest who brings chaos to Young Ha's peaceful life. The stills show her exhibiting strange behavior as she buries her face in a plate of red tomato sauce, pours oil over something, and stares at a piece of paper. 

jQ3XL8_2f.png

Spoiler

Xdzwow_2f.png

BdN2Y1_2f.png

d0QdLW_2f.png

Police station chief Bo Min (Lee Jung Eun) is shown aiming a gun and facing the case head-on, demonstrating her instincts and tenacity as an ace detective from the violent crimes unit. 

Spoiler

4eNpzJ_2f.png

rN3mLj_2f.png

0w8p5k_2f.png

Director Mo Wan Il describes the K-drama as "a secretive and suffocating narrative that unfolds in the woods with no one around, and a story of people caught in unpredictable situations facing their fate in their own ways." 

The Frog will premiere on August 23 only on Netflix.

Go Min Si Exhibits Strange Behavior as Kim Yoon Seok's Unexpected Guest in "The Frog" - MyDramaList

News bites: August 17, 2024

by tccolb

• It’s a busy season for promos on Netflix as they prepare for the mystery-suspense The Frog as well. Releasing a new bundle of stills ahead of next week’s premiere, the 8-episode thriller will have Kim Yoon-seok (Noryang: Deadly Sea), Yoon Kye-sang (The Kidnapping Day), Go Min-shi (Sweet Home 3), and Lee Jung-eun (Miss Night and Day) hopping to our screens on August 23. [MBC]

502a2c55-4eee-432e-bd97-271cd31a7b91.jpg

News bites: August 17, 2024 » Dramabeans Korean drama recaps

• 2 weeks later...
by Lily Alice, August 26, 2024
15 12

Actress Go Min Si talks about the efforts she put in for Netflix's The Frog. 

On August 26, an interview for The Frog with actress Go Min Si took place at a café in Seoul.

The Frog is a suspense thriller that tells the story of people whose peaceful lives are upended due to a mysterious guest who arrives in the middle of summer. 

In the K-drama, Go Min Si plays Yoo Seong Ah, a mysterious character who unleashes chaos into Jeon Yeong Ha's (Kim Yoon Seok) life, who has been living peacefully running a vacation cottage deep in the woods. 

Unveiling the behind-the-scenes process for her character transformation, Go Min Si said, "I lost a lot of weight. It was the lowest I ever weighed in my life. I dropped down to around 43-44kg. During the shooting for Sweet Home, I weighed around 46kg, but I lost an additional 2-3kg for this role." 

XdzkVZ_2f.png

She continued, "I wanted my spine bones to be more visible, to give off a raw, animalistic vibe. Even if it only flashed by in an image cut, I hope that something like that can be seen before Yoo Seong Ah's energy burst forth. I wanted the spine bones on my back to be clearly visible, [for a] grotesque [look]. I tried to lose as much weight as possible. I lost about 5-6kg from my original weight."

She added, "I thought it would be easy since I've only portrayed poor characters, but it wasn't. There were things that required more physical effort, and I had to build up my body. Everything that appeared on the screen had to look attractive and beautiful, so I had to pay even more attention. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have even looked in the mirror, but there were more points to be mindful of."

Not only dramas, Go Min Si also took the challenge to participate in a variety show, Jinny's Kitchen Season 2, to expand her potential.  

Talking about this, Go Min Si said, "I have been working for a while, and I didn't expect that the projects would be released one after another," adding, "What I have always wanted is to show various images and appearances [of myself], and it seems like now is that time. For Jinny's Kitchen Season 2, I didn't even know where the cameras were, and I only put on enough makeup to be polite."  

She mentioned she wanted to work completely bare-faced: "I still wore sunscreen and tied up my hair. I wanted to show both my hard-working side in variety shows and the side of me [that lives] as the character when acting. In the future, no matter what role I take on, even if my look changes, I think I'll boldly take on the challenge."

After filming Jinny's Kitchen Season 2, Go Min Si revealed she experienced extreme fatigue but "recovered quickly. I took my supplements diligently and recovered quickly," she said, smiling. She also revealed she found the filming of Jinny's Kitchen Season 2 more challenging than working on projects like The Frog. 

QJBAeW_2f.png

"Filming Jinny's Kitchen Season 2 was difficult. It was unpredictable. With a project, there's a script, [but there was nothing like that with Jinny's Kitchen]; you couldn't even imagine what might happen." 

She continued, "Since I wasn't a part of the cast before, I mentally prepared myself beyond what was expected before going, and I went with the mindset that I had to exceed that preparation," adding, "Unexpectedly, the business did exceptionally well. I worked so hard that I couldn't think about anything else, and it was great."

Known as the "Golden Intern" for her diligent and efficient work, Go Min Si has received praise from many viewers.

When asked about her strong sense of responsibility, Go Min Si responded, "For me, it wasn't so much about responsibility but wanting to get off work early." "I thought if I delay it [my tasks], the time would stretch and I'd end up having to do even more. So I thought it was better to work hard and rest early, even if it's less convenient for me." She added, "I learned this when working in society and while doing part-time jobs in Seoul. I think it's just natural."

https://mydramalist.com/article/the-frog-netflix-go-min-si-brought-her-weight-down-to-43-44-kg-for-her-role-in-the-series

The Frog: Episodes 1-8 (Series Review)

by solstices

When you’re falling in a forest and there’s nobody around — do you ever really crash, or even make a sound? Haunting and evocative, this thriller weaves philosophical and psychological threads together to examine the forgotten, indirect victims of crime.

EPISODES 1-8

At the heart of The Frog lies a Korean proverb — “the frog dies from a carelessly-thrown stone.” Intention, or rather the lack thereof, cannot negate the impact that kills the frog. Even if such tragedy occurs in a place sequestered away from the watchful gazes of peering eyes — or, as the Korean title reflects, deep within the forest with no one around.

Juxtaposed against such inadvertent harm is the intentional way this story is told. In its initial arc, the show treads water in a measured and fragmented start, effectively introducing its characters with short snippets that encapsulate their distinct personalities and circumstances. Each shot is deliberate, and framed carefully to evoke a curated atmosphere. Eerie silence, ambient noises, and purposeful soundtracks set the mood, drawing out the suspense of what lies yet unknown.

The Frog follows two distinct protagonists, who both run hospitality businesses. The first, JEON YOUNG-HA (Kim Yoon-seok), rents out a vacation home deep in the woods to visiting tourists. He’s placid and practical, deeply set in his old-fashioned ways, though he quickly warms up to the young boy that a mysterious guest brings along.

Said visitor is the distant and withdrawn YOO SUNG-AH (Go Min-shi), reticent with her words and observing from afar with an inscrutable gaze. At first, Young-ha doesn’t even know her name; she’d made the reservation under the little HA SHI-HYUN (Jo Yeo-joon). While Sung-ah lingers on the sidelines and listens to a vintage record player, Young-ha and his friend spend a fun day in the pool with Shi-hyun.

Then it all takes a turn for the worse. Young-ha wakes up the next morning to a vacated cabin, with only the smell of bleach permeating the bathroom and a bloody vinyl record left behind. When he checks his friend’s dashcam, he sees Sung-ah leaving with a luggage in tow, but no trace of Shi-hyun in sight. Young-ha’s mind races to the worst conclusion, but with only his suspicion and mere circumstantial evidence, he can’t afford to risk his business reputation. Instead, he replaces the missing towels, cleans off the vinyl record, and tucks the incident to the back of his mind.

Our other protagonist, the affable and idealistic GU SANG-JOON (Yoon Kye-sang), operates the countryside Lake View Motel with his wife SEO EUN-KYUNG (Ryu Hyun-kyung). Sang-joon’s unbridled enthusiasm for his establishment has him striving to provide the best service to his guests, spurring him to invite a lone traveler into the motel on a rainy night.

Alas, Sang-joon’s kindness proves to be his undoing. Police sirens surround the motel on the following day, summoned by the terrified Eun-kyung. Last night’s guest was the serial killer JI HYANG-CHUL (Hong Ki-joon), prompting a spine-chilling scene where Sang-joon imagines what must have happened. Hyang-chul carries his victim from his car into the motel, all while Sang-joon sleeps soundly at the counter. Then night morphs into day, and Sang-joon walks into the suite to bloodstained sheets and a gruesomely dismembered body.

In the months that follow, the bad press haunts the motel, and the guilt of inviting the murderer inside digs its claws into Sang-joon. Eun-kyung can’t erase the gory visage from her mind’s eye, and their son GU KI-HO (Choi Jung-hoo) is viciously bullied by his schoolmates. Unable to hold it in any longer, Sang-joon smashes his way through the motel, culminating in a heart-wrenching scene where he futilely tries to scrub the old blood stains out of the carpet and breaks down in anguished sobs.

Initially, it seems like these cases are parallel journeys. The show plays fast and loose with nonlinear storytelling, until the police officer YOON BO-MIN connects both incidents: she’s the new recruit (Ha Yoon-kyung) opposite Sang-joon, and the weathered officer (Lee Jung-eun) next to Young-ha. The two cases are twenty years apart.

The tragedy — and the threat — of the Lake View Motel case looms over Young-ha, driving him to protect his establishment and his daughter above all else. When Sung-ah returns, without Shi-hyun in tow and behaving like a completely different person, it becomes difficult to tell what is real and what is merely a figment of Young-ha’s troubled mind. Sung-ah’s scenes are painted in a vivid surrealism, composed through arthouse shots that border on the grotesque.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/08/the-frog-episodes-1-8-series-review/

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2024] The Frog/In the Woods With No One, 아무도 없는 숲속에서