• Last Reply

for those who would like to know more about Joe Hisaishi click here

[vod+trans] Joe Hisaishi composing for TWSSG

japanese to english translation by tomato99 / http://bbs.goo.ne.jp/ac25479

links :

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/m-jin/onair/070121.html

http://www.joehisaishi.com/

tomato99 wrote in Quilt ~

I am sure that you have already seen vod posted by makishi [liezle : click here for those who have not seen it yet], and captured photos by style [liezle : see above].

Let me share some more information about the program.

This TV program was aired yesterday in Japan.

It is a documentary program featuring musicians every week,

and yesterdays program featured Mr. Joe Hisaishi.

He is composing music for TWSSG.

One of the scene from the program showed Mr. Hiraishi composing music for TWSSG.

source: “Myusin” TV Tokyo,

date: 21 January 2007

click here to watch the vod

JoeH20070121a1.jpg

Narration: December of last year, at Yoyogi Tokyo.

This is where Joe Hisaishis office is located.

On this day, he was working on his main business, composing music.

He is now working on a project.

Hisaishi: Right now, I am working on a Korean TV drama, This is a big piece.

A drama starring Mr. Bae Yong Joon called “Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi”

I am working on it. (smile)

Narration: Hisaishis past performance has been well received in Korea,

and he was offered to compose music for drama ”TWSSG” starring BYJ.

Watching the videos just sent from Korea, he images the scene and composes the music.

Hisaishis fingers do not stop on the keyboard.

At end of this day, Hisaishi easily composed a base music for one scene in about ten minutes or so.

So far he has created more than 1400songs and moved people.

• 2 weeks later...

[Photo]Tae Wang(談德)'s picture

posted by Jessica114829 in KOB

original source:5th Ave AT42's BBS~ by koo

Yong Joon as Damdeok...

0003812myc7.jpg

0003812ng1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

TWSSG will be aired in Korea from 5/21 to 8/7/07

posted by joanne in BYJ's Quilt

According to the new line-up announced by MBC, the 'TWSSG' will be aired in Korea from 5/21 to 8/7/07 on MBC as Monday/Tuesday drama series in 24 episodes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest liezle

Gaeulyeoja posted this on the Talk Box of BYJ's official home.

Korean to English translation by Joanne in Quilt

'TWSSG', Oops! Trouble---"Hard to be aired in May"

[sports Hankook]3/1/07 20:30:21

The broadcasting of the 'TWSSG', MBC history drama starring top star BYJ, is expected to be put off from original schedule.

Although the 'TWSSG' was originally scheduled to be aired in coming May, due to problem in production process, its airing is expected to be slightly postponed. The 'TWSSG' began shooting in Spring of past 2006 and although they plan to air it in early 2007, they had delayed airing one time.

Although the production crew accelerated shooting as they actually made definite decision to air it in May, they are deliberately re-examining airing date because amount to shoot is a lot from the beginning and also to ensure perfection in computer graphic works.

An official in Department of Programming at MBC said, "As we consider that May airing of the 'TWSSG' is realistically difficult and are looking for a work that will replace that time belt. Although it is the best to air it in May as scheduled, we are thinking that it is more important to heighten its degree of completeness by taking enough time as much as it has to become a drama that would represent Korea."

At present the 'TWSSG' proceeds its shooting intermittently. Although they proceeded shooting pressingly by dividing into 2 teams just until past January, they recently reduced the shooting team into one and are in state of shooting with a little composure.

An official from the 'TWSSG' said, "We are proceeding the shooting under premise that we are going to air it as scheduled in May. However, as the degree of completeness is important, we do not intend to proceed shooting in a hurry. Our priority goal is ensurance of the best quality even if it takes a little more time."

Reported by Lee Donghyeon,kulkuri@sportshankook.co.kr

Sports Hankook

OMG.... another postpone..if not airing in May 2007; when will it be??????

Liezle, could you tell me how could I read more of Mr. Fumi's writting for The Legend?

Is it BYJ's Quilt?

Thanks,

Pat

Guest liezle

OMG.... another postpone..if not airing in May 2007; when will it be??????

Liezle, could you tell me how could I read more of Mr. Fumi's writting for The Legend?

Is it BYJ's Quilt?

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat! Just go to Freeboard section, then in the search engine that you can find below, tick name and type fumi. All fumi's writing will be displayed. :)

don't miss this article. the camera director talked about TWSSG and yong joon. geez, the TWSSG team is really sooooo secretive about this drama. PD Kim is not even saying anything. I read though that there will be some media thingy soon. :)

[Trans] hot chili paper 2007/03

original in japanese: hot chili paper 2007/03, vol.39

translated into korean: miemi / kob

translated into english: gaulsan / kob

[Trans] Heard from a TWSSG staff!

Stories of BYJ and Episodes from a staff of TWSSG

7505618435z4t1lhhotchilem8.jpg

75056343d19fjlfyhotchipek4.jpg

Interview of Kim Ki Pyo, the 2nd unit camera director.

Q: How is the shooting going on? ( the interview was taken on January 2nd)

A: The shooting started in January 2006. We are making the whole series of drama before broadcast starts, which is very rare in Korea.

We are shooting the part of episode 24 now, but we don’t make episodes in turn. Like shooting a movie, we work on episode 1 today and shoot episode 10 tomorrow. The director edits the film afterward. I’m not sure when the shooting will be finished. I think it would be broadcasted in spring or early summer.

Q: What is the difference between TWSSG and other historic dramas?

A: This is my personal opinion. TWSSK is not a documentary drama, which follows the historical fact. There are a lot of fantasy in this drama.

The visual is very important in this drama. I think this drama will show you the best visual quality that a television drama can show. The visual is very good, and the story line is good as well.

Q: On what do you focus most as a camera director?

A: I focus on the storytelling most to deliver the story well to the viewers.

Dramas that focus on visual effect often fail. Of course I am focusing on the visual aspect as a director of VFX (visual F/X), but I am basically focusing on the story. We removed a studio set that is deliberately built when it turned out that it didn’t fit the story. The story is very exciting that I often thought ‘Oh, it’s getting interesting!’ while shooting.

Q: What is the most difficult part?

A: We are working with four cameras at a time. Each camera has lots of equipments, and setting up all those equipments is quite tough.

Also, the studio sets are very delicate and realistic. As a camera director, I have to catch those details in the camera. The art team has done a great job on the studio sets, costume, and properties. If I miss those beauty, their work will turn out to be nothing. This is the most difficult part for me.

Q: Can you tell me some interesting episodes?

A: When the actors were playing, I was immersed in their play, and I forgot myself as a camera director. I had to talk to myself, ‘hey, What are you doing?’ several times.

When we worked in a cave in Jeju island, there was a theme park near by, and there sold some puzzle games. There were puzzles named ‘chain of wisdom’ which had 6 levels.

Staffs enjoyed solving the puzzle. BYJ saw the puzzle and said, ‘Let me try that. I think I can solve it,’ and solve it easily. It was a level 1 puzzle.

When someone gave him a difficult one, he appeared the next day with red eyes. It was because he spent 3 hours to solve the puzzle.

BYJ’s manager came and asked us not to lend puzzles to BYJ because YJ won’t sleep until he solves them …. He has a very strong concentrating ability!

He seems to be a man who deeply concentrates once he starts something.

I quit solving puzzles after several attempts failed, but BYJ kept working on it whenever he had spare time. He finished to the hardest level within several days.

On the first day of shooting, BYJ’s role was over and we were working on Moon Sori’s scene. Our cameras are ENG cameras, which is for television, and it was very heavy because many lenses and accessories were attached. I felt pain on my back because I had to carry the camera, and sat on a chair. I felt someone massaging my back.

“Thank you. Who is this?” I said and looked back, and it was BYJ.

I was not close to him like nowadays, and BYJ was not just an actor but ‘The Yon-Sama’ to me. I was surprised that Yon-Sama massaged me!

For the first time I felt him to be one of us staff, not the Yon-Sama. The wall between BYJ and me melt away.

It was not only me. He played puzzle with the newest member like ‘Hey, please let me do this a little’, ‘No, it’s not allowed!’

Q: What kind of person is BYJ?

A: It seems that he is enjoying the time with staff. He didn’t return to Seoul even though his part was over.

However, he was strict on business. [This part might not be accurate as the Korean translation is a bit hard to understand.]

There are many bodyguards around him. At first, I felt uncomfortable with the bodyguards, but I realized that they are needed because so many fans are coming to the shooting place.

He doesn’t like to use a stunt. He should be careful of injury, but he wants to act the action scenes and dangerous scenes by himself.

When Moon Sori acts alone towards the camera, in this case, usually the director or other staffs reads the line instead of the actor. However BYJ stands by the camera and acts for her regardless of not being shown on the screen. He helps her to get immersed in the character.

Although he is a top-star, he bows to each staff when the work is over. BYJ is such a person. It is natural that he is so popular.

Q: Is there any difference between BYJ in front of camera and without camera?

A: Sometimes, he is so immersed in his role that I cannot speak to him. Even when the camera is not running, I can guess how much he is immersed by looking his eyes. I usually tell an actor where the camera will be located, but there are times that BYJ is so immersed that I feel difficulty talking to him.

BYJ barely realizes that I am there, and he realizes me after a while.

There are times that he is Damdok before he stands in front of the camera.

Director Kim Jong Hak was an actor before and he is very good at acting. He discusses about the act with the actors and puts the opinion of both sides evenly.

Q: What was the most impressive scene?

A: It is not always the climax scene that is most impressive. There were dangerous scenes such as BYJ fell off the horse, and there were many wonderful scenes.

If I have to choose one, it was the close-up scene of BYJ. I am sorry that I cannot tell you the story, but it was a scene that BYJ gazes at his lover with a very complex emotion.

He is an excellent actor that his images are good from any angle, but that day, it was difficult to find a good angle and I changed the location of the camera more than 10 times. At last, I found an angle that I felt ‘Yes!’ and started to record. BYJ was so immersed in the role and I had to catch that moment, ant it was quite hard.

Q: The shooting is taken in Kyrgyzstan, Jeju Island, Kyung-gi Do, and many other places. How many places are taken in the drama?

A: The open set in Jeju Island, the Studio set….

Overall we are working at more than 10 places. I didn’t go to Kyrgyzstan, but the large-scaled battle scenes such as storming the ramparts were taken. It is hard to find such a place in Korea.

Q: BYJ is at the center of Hallyu, and the fans’ support is amazing. What do you think is the major reason for BYJ’s popularity as a Hallyu actor? What is the merit of BYJ that you felt by working closely to him?

A: I think it is his personality. Most of his fans and the viewers won’t have a chance to know, but he has a very nice personality.

He has a handsome and soft image like the ones in WLS, Scandal, and AS. He also has a very mannish side. I often feel that ‘He is really a good guy’ when I am with him.

I would like to be his friend, not as the Yonsama, but as a friend who can go to the sauna together and drink Soju together.

His personality is hard to be seen to the TV viewers, but his popularity proves that somehow his personality was felt through the screen.

Moreover, he is handsome and well-built. If a man builds up one’s body, he usually wants to show it to others – like wearing short-sleeve shirts. Yet, it seems that BYJ is exercising for himself.

Once he had to change his cloth in the middle of shooting, He turned around from other people towards the camera. When I saw his upper body, I held my breath. His chest and abs were really an art. Even my face flushed. I think it is natural for women to be happy with him.

Q: Was there any dining after the shooting? How was BYJ at drinking parties?

A: Once we had dinner after work in Jeju. BYJ is always careful of his diet, but that day he seemed to be pleasant and drank Soju and ate pork.

I have a friend who is also a friend of BYJ. He said, ‘BYJ is not special. He is an ordinary person’. Even though he is a top star, his true personality is same with others.

We were very happy that day. Staff hugged each other and drank a lot. We drank up expensive liquors brought from Japan.

Q: Do BYJ and Moon Sory get along well?

A: Both of them are veterans, but their styles are a bit different. We worried about the difference, but they were veterans indeed.

When they start acting, they are lovers in everyone’s eyes. I wondered if they are really in love.

Q: Could you suggest us 3 parts that you can tell ‘Wait till you see this!’ ?

A: When Brad Pitt played his role in ‘Legends of the Fall’, people said that ‘this movie is made for Brad Pitt’. I don’t agree with their opinion. I am a fan of Brad Pitt, but I think Brad Pitt appeared so attractive because Legends of the Fall was a good movie.

Also, many may think that TWSSG is a drama for BYJ, but I believe that BYJ will look gorgeous because the drama is great.

It is not that TWSSG will shine because of BYJ.

BYJ will shine because of TWSSG...

You will see the charisma, dignity, and power of BYJ that you’ve never seen before. It is the first time he works without his glasses since Scandal. He grew his hair. His role is full of humanity and decides not to become a king for his first love.

Later he is reborn and becomes Gwang-gae-to King, who is the most powerful king of Korean history. You will feel the aura from BYJ.

Guest liezle

:sweatingbullets: hee, i really don't know what to believe. will they show TWSSG on May or not? but i'm crossing my fingers that they'll show it in May.

Moris posted this on the Talk Box of BYJ's official home.

Korean to English translation by Joanne in Quilt

Confirmed to air BYJ 'TWSSG' on MBC in May

[Donga Daily]3/2/07 14:41

The "TWSSG' (Production: Kim Jonghak Production) starring BYJ confirned to air on MBC.

The 'TWSSG' is scheduled to be aired for the first time on May 21, after ending Koh Hyeongjeong & Ha Jeongwoo starring 'Hit'(20-episodes), which will follow 'Joomong' in March.

It is true that the 'TWSSG', which is in progress with goal to produce 100% prior to airing, has been a subject of interest from each broadcasting stations all the while.

That is because the drama is where Director Kim Jonghak and writer Song Jina couple is working in harmony again in addition to brilliant cast in which 'Spearhead of Hallyu' BYJ and film actor Moon Sori, who is making debut on TV screen, and Oh Kwangrok are in addition to Choi Minsoo, Park Sangwon, Yoon Taeyoung, actors with good acting skill.

The 'TWSSG', a drama of talks which is expected to have both quality of work and box office appeal from planning stage, is in 24 episodes and is scheduled to air on Monday and Tuesday of each week from May 21, 2007.

Reported by Lee Yuna,lyn@donga.com

Copyright © Sports Donga

Guest frances

originally posted by Gaeulyeoja on the Talk Box of BYJ's korean official board

translation from korean to english by Joanne of BYJ's Quilt

Would the 'TWSSG' follow 'People's drama' hot wind following the 'Joomong'?

[Review Star]3/2/07 04:05 PM

As the 'TWSSG' starring BYJ was confirmed to air on MBC on coming May 21, it gives big expectation if it would continue hot wind as the second People's drama following the 'Joomong'.

As the 'TWSSG' aiming extra big super class blockbuster history drama was again confirmed to be aired on MBC, while not much time is left for 'Joomong' to end airing while it is nicknamed as People's drama having recently gone over 50%th viewing rate, it makes both broadcasting business and fans to express huge interests in its influential power after airing as well as its storyline.

While the 'Joomong' dealt a course prior to and after establishment of the Kogooryeo, the 'TWSSG' contains story of a king who was the most resourceful and intrepid in Northeastern Asia at the time who expanded territory to the largest one in Kogooryeo's history as the 19th king of the Kogooryeo.

In particular, as the best actors of Moon Sori, Choi Minsoo, Oh Kwangrok, Park Songwon, Yoon Taeyoung, etc. besides BYJ will appear and as it makes people to expect that it will become a scale bigger than film because it is produced taking tremendous expense of total production cost at 43 billion won, it is gathering huge interest if hot wind of Kogooryeo history dramas, as shown by 3 (major) broadcasting stations since last year, would continue entirely into the 'TWSSG'.

We pay attention to the turn of event to see if the 'TWSSG', containing biography of the Great King Kwang-gae-to, who, in the South, defeated Wae that invaded Shilla & blocked Baekje's policy of advancing to north and, in the North, caused China and various Northern nations tremble with fear, would show appearance of making a new stroke in the broadcasting history as People's drama after all.

Reported by Choi Ingap, www.reviewstar.net

Copyright © Review Star

Guest liezle

Glad to know that they're TWSSG is getting support from the gov't. I think it's the power of yong joon, the greatness of kim PD and the wonderfult story of TWSSG that made this possible. Anyway, here's a bit of info on that news from happiebb's blog.

original in japanese: chosun ilbo, japanese edition

chinese trans-in-brief: kyouei / loveyongjoon 俊心咏恒

translated into english: happiebb / bb's blog

TSG, the production company for TWSSG announced this news on 28th feb, "TSG and SSG, who is responsible for investment and resource allocation, have accepted the Korea Development Bank's suggestion and put in an application to the Ministry of Culture & Tourism for TSG to be a special company under the Cultural Property Company scheme. TSG has been granted the special Cultural Property Company status on 23rd feb. As such, TSG has become the first Cultural Property Company in Korea."

A company granted this special Cultural Property status typically refers to companies that have been established for movies, TV dramas or other specified cultural productions and have special (and pre-determined) purposes.

These special Cultural Property companies are different from those production companies that would simultaneously run various production projects, they are independent companies with their own standards and have been established for the production of some special items or works, and also enjoy tax benefits amongst other benefits; it is an effective system to promote the development of cultural works.

Archived