[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, boranoona said:

Then defend them.defend those characters, defending doesn't mean to bash in return.if u bash in return of bashing, then it will put more fuel to the fire and the whole thing will turn into a big mess.why insult or bash jh? If u see my previous comment, i defended junghwan, i didn't bash taek in return bcz they bashed junghwan..

Well one have to point out what goes wrong in another's statement though, to defend those characters, based on facts. And I hope there are more people like you, who defend the characters based on facts. I agree that the one who cries in the scene were Hyeri as a person, bcuz it perfectly normal. I bet lots of Taek shippers were crying watching JH confession scene. It was just so bittersweet.

10 minutes ago, dahae2006 said:

where is park bo gum picture on wrap up party. can you all please post his picture as well here in reply 1988 main thread:) :):)

park bo gum and go kyung pyo arrived late because of shooting schedules, I don't think you can find any picture of him arriving :)

52 minutes ago, JulieSean said:

I know. But why didn't he confessed to her in private.

It's Junghwan's personality I think.. that's a shame though, I would regret it if i were him because he had a lot of chance to do it. I think the writer want to wrap up his one-sided love story nicely in that episode, so that he didn't get hurt more by holding on until the very last episode like what Chilbong did in 1994....

REWIND CHAPTER 1

I decided to rewatch the whole series starting with Chapter 1 and found it to be a rewarding exercise. 

Chapter 1 starts out depicting a strong sense of family and community (This, for me, is Reply 1988's greatest pull.). As I've mentioned in a previous post, a favorite was the opening scene in this episode: kids shuttling to and from their homes to give food to the other families. I loved the aerial shot taken of these kids as they were doing this. I also was moved by the scene of Taek (I think the only scene he had in this episode) seated facing his Dad with just one main dish and how the "multiplication of food" on their table took place thanks to their extended family.

Another heartwarming scene was the sub-plot involving Sun Woo's Mom when she thought her loving and obedient son was smoking. The problem was aggravated by Sun Woo's avoidance each time her Mom asked about the wound he had on his face, only to find out in the end that the cut on his face was caused by her son's first-hand try at shaving his face, something her husband could have helped her son in had he been alive. This could have added to the  Sun Woo's Mom's pain and sorrow as they commemorated the anniversary of her husband's death.

Duk Seon's second-child angst, a common phenomenon, was appeased by that moving gesture of her Dad waiting for her after her Olympic stint to "properly celebrate" her birthday---with her own cake!--- and not make it coincide with her sister Bora's. (My only misgiving  about this episode are the physical fights these sisters had which in real life could have easily disfigured them!)

Unlike Taek, Jung Hwan had a lot of scenes in this episode. The one that topped them all was the scene where her Mom confided to him that she wished he could share what happens to him with her pretty much like the way Sun Woo does with his Mom...and how as she was about to leave his room, Jung Hwan asked her to buy him a pair of sneakers.

FAVORITE LINE : (Adult Duk Seon's voice over)

"THE PEOPLE WHO WILL HOLD YOU AND STAND BY YOU UNTIL THE END IS FAMILY."

P.S. Fast forward to November 2015, adult Duk Seon appears toward the end of the episode and said that she and the husband have known each other for decades since they lived on the same block.

1 hour ago, trvasohy said:

He already noticed the way hyeri was waiting for taek everytime the door opens. he smiles to himself admitting defeat, and changed it into a joke so they wouldn;t get awkward with each other.. that's how i interpret that scene. my opinion :)

I know. But why didn't he confessed to her in private.

33 minutes ago, trvasohy said:

It's Junghwan's personality I think.. that's a shame though, I would regret it if i were him because he had a lot of chance to do it. I think the writer want to wrap up his one-sided love story nicely in that episode, so that he didn't get hurt more by holding on until the very last episode like what Chilbong did in 1994....

I would think that his personality is such that he wouldn't want his close friends to know about his secret love for DS.  To think that no one knew at all, except Taek. So I think for him to confess in front of his friends is just not his personality.

I think he didn't do in privately because it wasn't really something he had planned out fully.  He finally just broke down and did on impulse. I was waiting for that to happen all drama, for him to go to her on the stairs when she was crying or to give in to her when she asked something of him,  but that never happened.  It's sad it finally happened after it was too late and in the form of a failed confession. 

As to why he picked that time to just give up, it goes back to not reaching her in time at the concert and her actions (checking the pager, checking the door) confirmed that she liked Taek and was waiting for him.  He had also just come to a realization when he cried in the car that this bitter fate was his choice and he accepted it. He'd been holding those feelings in for how many years?  It was just time to let go and say it regardless of who was there. 

But after he knew she liked Taek... I don't think he would have actually confessed privately to her. It just puts her in an awkward situation. 

The thing is I don't think it's an impulse. I doubt he carries the graduation ring in his pocket everywhere he goes.  He wanted to confess. Maybe he wants his friends around in case things became awkward? And after watching her waiting for Taek confirms that he just has to end it then and there. Which is why he turned it into a joke. 

So did DS take it as a joke or did she believed it? 

9 minutes ago, JulieSean said:

The thing is I don't think it's an impulse. I doubt he carries the graduation ring in his pocket everywhere he goes.  He wanted to confess. Maybe he wants his friends around in case things became awkward? And after watching her waiting for Taek confirms that he just has to end it then and there. Which is why he turned it into a joke. 

So did DS take it as a joke or did she believed it? 

He was holding it show to DR wasn't he though?  He was going to give it to him or something.  I'd have to go back and watch it, but the reason he had it was DR.  I do think he could have planned it, but her looking at the door/pager made everything a lot more real. He didn't know her feelings before for Taek. But doing it around their friends (and not Taek) allowed him to play it off.  I do think he wanted to confess though.  So maybe it wasn't so impulsive, but I still think he did it in reaction to her waiting for Taek.  That has to really add insult to injury in a lot of ways. 

I don't think DS realized it was real.  She took it as a joke. We never saw a scene were she even considered it.  This was his farewell party, so he left soon after and they both went  back to work.  And she went China..and we know what happened there.

Yes I also don't think it was impulsive. He planned on telling her for 6 years, but just doesn't get the courage to do it, and what dongryong said, and what happened when taek's arrived earlier at the concert trigger him to do it. I agree with you, I think he use that situation so that things won;t become awkward. But without seeing her waiting for Taek, I think he would end it up as a joke too. He just want to confess to get this hidden feelings out of his chest after years. At least letting her know about it.

23 minutes ago, JulieSean said:

Maybe he wants his friends around in case things became awkward? And after watching her waiting for Taek confirms that he just has to end it then and there. Which is why he turned it into a joke. 

I think DS doesn't really think of it as a joke, she accepts his confession but don't think much of it since it come from Junghwan who she considered as friend. It would be a different story if he confess while Deoksun still like him though. But seeing the context of the confession (gang reunion), it would be kinda impossible for this confession to turn out as romantic as we see it from Deoksun point of view.

Confessing his love in front of his friends isn't his personality sooo he turned it into a joke, like when he was calling his friends crazy for saying Deoksun is pretty. Well those two scenes speak about his personality when loving someone. That's my interpretation of the scene :)

Upon reading several opinions (mostly on dramabeans ) on why taek is the better match for deoksun, why junghwan is not really fit to be her husband, I wonder what kind of character/personality would be a good match for him ?

He may change for the better after experiencing his failed first love, but I still think junghwan is not someone who can express himself freely, he may learn from his mistakes, but it was just in his character to be a little timid, soft and sensitive which he cover with his cold/hard appearance and it won't be easy for him to open up to a new person seeing how deep his love to deoksun was.

@bluesteyes : Park Bo Gum Looks handsome up there :wub:

Lee Chang Ho and Taek :wub: (Real Baduk Master and Master Choi)

1. One of the funny stories about Lee Changho is that he did not know how to tie his own shoelaces even into his young adult years. While Lee studied under Cho Hun-hyeon as an in-house pupil, Mrs. Cho bought him shoes without laces because he would drag his feet around until someone finally tied them for him. I have heard many similar stories about how Lee Changho was totally preoccupied with Go and could not or did not pay attention to the everyday aspects of life

http://senseis.xmp.net/?YiChangHo

Anyways can't wait to hear more news about the BluRay for this drama! I so want to keep a physical copy of this gem. So far, I've got the first OST and will get the 2nd one soon!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender%201.jpg

Reply 1988 is a true slice of life type of drama. There were no husband hunt in the beginning because all the clues point out that husband is Taek shown very early. If you look at each of the 5 sammundong kid individually, 1988 is the period of time where:

1. JH told his one-side-love story and how it bottles up and never really bear fruit because of his hesitation
2. In contrast, Sunwoo has his first love who is Bora and he persistently making all effort to see her even for a brief moment(make the timing, so to say). He timed it exactly whenever Bora's home, and if he didn't make that confession that snowy night and continue to pursue afterwards, we wouldn't have SWxBR wedding.
3. Story of DS who's dream of having someone love her, but in the end realize the one who's always beside her is the one she loves. Plus during the time the 5 hang out, you can always see that DS pays attention (be it taking care, motherly, brotherly) to Taek the most. 
4. Taek is the genius baduk who has always love DS in the very beginning when she first reached out to him (he just moved to ssamundong). And how all the adults are so supporting and even the people from baduk club, no one can deny the mutual closeness between DS and Taek. Their love was eventually blossom once Taek cross the line with that dreamy kiss. (this is probably the fate) Sad to say, that JH was the only hindrance here when Taek found out JH likes DS.
5. Dongryong's affection toward his mom and we can see that he finally gets his mom to understand and spend time with him.

So Sunwoo makes his own timing, Taek has his timing, and JH just missed everything.

The production did state in the beginning that there will be no husband hunt and they give out all the clues as straight forward as it is. It is clever of the writer to make the audiences drawn so much into JH that we unconsciously want him to get the girl and all the clues become vague to us because of this.
I was neutral shipper but I become JH/DS ship after episode 18 because I wanted to see him gets the girl because he finally does something about it. But yes, that bitter feeling we all have for JH is natural, and it is realistic. :( 

Im sure there willl be another wave of dissatisfaction coming from international JH/DS fans once the subs are out. Regardless, this drama has this ability to stir all kind of emotions in us, including this bitter feeling. Whether you like this bitter feeling or not, you have to give credits to the PD and writer and the casts to even be able to stir this up, lol. They did a very awesome job! So please don't spread hate and trashing anyone please, your attitude can make it look bad for the whole JH/DS shippers community.

3 hours ago, bebe1989 said:

Will you like to date someone who never give you, his jacket or coat when you feel cool?will you fall for someone who always nagging about you? 

Well sung dongil behaved to lee ilhwa like that and my boyfriend of 2 years always acted like that to me so the answer is yes.

38 minutes ago, pi2tni4ng said:

Upon reading several opinions (mostly on dramabeans ) on why taek is the better match for deoksun, why junghwan is not really fit to be her husband, I wonder what kind of character/personality would be a good match for him ?

He may change for the better after experiencing his failed first love, but I still think junghwan is not someone who can express himself freely, he may learn from his mistakes, but it was just in his character to be a little timid, soft and sensitive which he cover with his cold/hard appearance and it won't be easy for him to open up to a new person seeing how deep his love to deoksun was.

@bluesteyes : Park Bo Gum Looks handsome up there :wub:

Someone like Sun Woo lol. I think he's a lot like Bora in some ways. He needs someone who'd really go after him and not give up. DS tried to do that, but in the end she just got too hurt and her crush wasn't enough to last.  

And yes, JH will learn not hold back so much in the future, but he'll never turn into someone who can just freely and openly admit his feelings all the time. He needs someone who can look at him and understand him. DS did in some ways, but not in others. She knew that even if he was grumpy he'd still pay for her meal, but beyond that I don't think she really understood him well. This is not knocking her at all, but she just didn't.  While she can just look at Taek and know what he needs, for JH she never could do that.  So really, I don't think they were good for each other in the end. There's a reason beyond timing and him hesitating that they didn't work out. 

Archived