Internet Tech help

adak

Whenever you monitor your data its split into upload data and download data.  I noticed on my Rogers data monitor that my upload shot up from let say 226MB average per day of upload data used to 16,000MB used in a single day.  This occurred everyday until I pulled the plug on my router. I didn't do anything new nor do I have torrent running so what else could cause this jump?  Also, the download data remained as per usual.

something is running in your background thats uploading mass data. you should do a thorough adware/spyware/virus scan to clean any unwanted software. in some cases, it could be legitimate software thats uploading data without you knowing. software thats constantly syncing with a databank would be the first place id look into.
download an internet usage monitor to find out which software is causing a spike in uploads. netlimiter is one. but i believe it only supports windows.

a less likely scenario would be someone stealing your bandwidth. less likely scenario because you said only uploads have increased.

thank you zantac_2 ^^.. I actually googled one of my suspicions that it was caused by the maplestory game my bro started play on that particular day.  I was able to find out that it was some adjoining program that came with it and deleted it from his computer.  Thankfully it seems to be the cause in spike as the daily report or usage for yesterday has gone back to the normal usage quotes. Hopefully I have found it and I'll have to monitor it for the next few days just to verify ^^.

Archived