Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Guest Vanessa728

I know this African American at my school who hangs out w/ all the asians, espically the Hmongs. It doesn't bother me much but I do think of the "Doesn't she have pride of her own culture?" Anyhow though, she does bug me sometimes. She tries to talk Hmong. Even come to the parties, New Years, and Tournaments. But then no big deal, its open to all ethnics to come. But what bugs me the most is the fact that she hangs out w/ the people that I have Beef with.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tetra

Of course, I'm talking to a wannabe eisnstein everyday :phew:

And I'm talking to a wannabe wannabe smart aleck as well.

Totally compatible :excl:

Guest strawberriis ^^

like someone said all wanabees are pretty sad because they're not true to themselves.

and i remember when i got a haircut and i guess you could say it was like the 'girly mullet' that boa and mika nakashima had. and some guy (non asian for reference. but then again maybe its irrevelant) asked me if i was japanese. and when i said no he was just like oh i was trying to practice my japanese and walked away. i think the truth is he wanted a japanese girl and wanted to try out a pick up line. :mellow:

like someone said all wanabees are pretty sad because they're not true to themselves.

and i remember when i got a haircut and i guess you could say it was like the 'girly mullet' that boa and mika nakashima had. and some guy (non asian for reference. but then again maybe its irrevelant) asked me if i was japanese. and when i said no he was just like oh i was trying to practice my japanese and walked away. i think the truth is he wanted a japanese girl and wanted to try out a pick up line. :mellow:

Now that is just lame as hell.

But lemme ask yall sumfin, do you all think Jin the Emcee is a wanksta?

Guest --Fallen--Star--

Don't get me started on the ones that are COMPLETELY, COMPLETELY into anime... These people at my school keep on ranting about naruto and how much of a perfect couple Inuyasha and Kagome are O_O The ones who are just into the culture is fine, but the ones who go OVERBOARD with EVERYTHING, will just... -_-

Guest LvKyo

I find it very odd that sometimes people will call me a "wannabe Japanese" even though I love Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese culture as well (Chinese culture over Japanese, in many instances. o_O). I even have more Korean and Vietnamese friends than Japanese, and those friends are a few of the most amazing people I have ever met (this coming from an "otaku" of anime lol).

(I'd also include Filipino, but there's the whole Asian/Pacific Islander preference I don't want to offend people with.)

Sometimes it is hard for me to have pride in my own culture, I will admit. I dislike the many things the people from my cultural backgrounds were responsible for (European colonization, Holocaust, etc.). Also, the personalities of certain people with similar backgrounds to me embarrass me to the point of denying I know the people. <_<

I understand many people may find me annoying, but I try to stay true to the cultures as much as possible. I eve find myself educating my mom on certain things in Asian cultures and having to politely pull her aside to tell her the response she gave me in Japanese was not relevant to what I was saying (she learns many different bits of languages from little children of different cultures at our church's school). And I actually do study Japanese with a bit of depth (just with small bits at a time)... :sweatingbullets:

Guest gus122000

I've been called Asianized and a "lemon oreo" because I used to be really into anime and I'm into Japanese music. I've never crossed that line into "otaku", thankfully. I don't think I'm Asianized, though; I personally think that I just have an interest in a culture different than my own and I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like I've ever wished to be Asian (never have, never will, I'm happy the way I am) or I have more of an interest in an Asian culture than my own.

Otaku!!!!!! what does that mean i have a japanese friend who said only otaku like morning musume im so curious to know what otaku means ( i know im stupid ^^; )

Guest heygingersnap

Please, so what if an asian goes overboard with english words that makes them white washed??

Gimme a break :rolleyes:

you draw a pretty good point.

but it doesn't apply to most asian americans here because most of them can SPEAK english? :huh:

Guest goodvibrations

Otaku!!!!!! what does that mean i have a japanese friend who said only otaku like morning musume im so curious to know what otaku means ( i know im stupid ^^; )

An otaku is one who is overly obsessed with anime/manga/gundam and the likes.

The term usually bears a negative connotation.

Guest urbanature

Depends on how extreme they take it.

I have a friend (er, not really a friend anymore, haha) who is Caucasion, and watches anime, reads manga...

But knows nothing about the Japanese culture past the things in anime shows.

She listens to the soundtracks, etc. and wants to try and be Buddhist (o_o apparently because it's the "Asian religion" or so she says, which isn't actually true since half my Asian friends are Christian) and throws around random words like "Konnichi Wa" and "Kawaii!"

And also puts up a victory sign in her pictures.

Then calls herself Asian on the inside, "an egg"

That bothers me. She pretends to know everything about Asia in general, and it's so stupid talking to her. -__-;

But I have another friend who listens to music in Asian languages because she likes the beat, she doesn't abandon her culture for it though. She's not exactly an "Asian Wannabe" but just enjoys the music scene.

Guest harako

Please, so what if an asian goes overboard with english words that makes them white washed??

Gimme a break

Not really.

When I went to school in Asia, English was a language that you must learn from your early years of school :phew: And it's a universal language.

Guest advent.shk

Lol. I knowww.

But then most of the wannabe asians I've seen come from the wannabe Japanese people who only like it because of anime.

._o Those are the real annoying ones.

im pretty sure that's where all of them come from....

Guest THiS ONE LOSER

I do find it a bit awkward because they seem to take an obsession a little too far. It's pretty annoying when they ask you 'how do you say this or that in this language'. It just frustrates me to the 10th degree because I spend hours telling them the same word over and over again since they always mispronounce it. <_<

Guest ooo_it's_mE

I met this 1 White girl who was hated by almost all the Asians I know cause she wasnted to be Asian SSSSSSSOOOOOO bad. she thought that God cursed her by making her White, instead of Asian. I was like "OMG. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?! the girl really was annoying as hell. all she talked about was anime, and Japanese this and that.

hey, as long as they dont bother me...

i'm fine

but dont come up to me and start telling me that's sooo not korean of me

because i'm pretty sure i got more culture and understanding than you do about korea and being korean

Guest *rashiDah

One of my good friends is.

Hehe. I think it's funny.

It's pretty awesome that he wants to learn another culture/language.

Guest eunbit

the ones with 'asian fetish' freak me out, but usually only if they're guys.

girl 'otaku's seem harmless enough.

looking at american 'culture' it's easy to see why some westerners want the history and structure and yes, well-laid out Code of Hamurabi of asian countries. i don't see that as a bad thing.

Archived