Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Liking a certain ethnicity is different from wanting to become one of them.

Although I do not look Korean, I have been mistaken for being Korean because I adore their culture and such.

However, I will never go and say, "I am Korean (or some other ethnicity) and not Chinese".

I think it is a disgrace to your own "people" when you are ashamed of who you are.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Canadian born Chinese people who tell others that they are not Chinese O__o

I am a Canadian born Chinese who has never been to Asia, but I don't do stuff like that.

I don't say random words in Korean or other languages when I talk to my friends.

I only do it when I am online to a very few people who are also in Korean stuff.

I get away with calling my Korean friend (who is a guy) my "unni". But it is just for fun and he doesn't care LOL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sophistichic

They're HILARIOUS. Best amusement I have ever watched. Seriously good entertainment, honestly better than TV!!!! Swear!

You see like white guy talking in Senglish/Chenglish to other Caucasians doing the same back! HILARIOUS. Then they wear very Fobby clothes and listen to Asian music HAHAHAHAHAH. It just cracks me up.

People watching can be so amusing!

Guest yongie_wonhi

There a lot of people like that at our school, sadly. :phew: But it is kind of funny how they think they know a few Japanese words and tries to say it like all the time like they'd say "Omo" or "Hai" or something of that sort, and then they call themselves Asian. It's a joy to watch, truly it is. It is funny how they are trying to be Asians when they're not! :lol: I'm sorry if I sound mean, but its truly amusing. I don't get why they're doing it, but can't blame them, we Asians are just too awesome for our own good! :D

Guest mizz.pandora

Well I don't really mind if white ppl wearing Asian clothes.. I'd be proud anyway LOL

But uh, saying Japanese words in a conversation irritates me.. (that's my friends =.=)

and PRETENDING you're Asian is uh.. so gross.. -.-

I'm not Asian, and I think I'm not a wasian either. Damn I hope anyone see me like that, because I hate when someone tries to look like someone he/she isn't.

From my point of view, I just love/admire some Asian cultures and want to learn some of these languages, but I don't try to be Asian at all. It's too sad to pretend to be someone you're not, and it always will be sad.

Guest 90th.degree

I'm not Asian, and I think I'm not a wasian either. Damn I hope anyone see me like that, because I hate when someone tries to look like someone he/she isn't.

From my point of view, I just love/admire some Asian cultures and want to learn some of these languages, but I don't try to be Asian at all. It's too sad to pretend to be someone you're not, and it always will be sad.

See, you're the type of person who actually WANTS to learn the language by means of appreciation, most Wasians simply do it cause of anime. That type of person who likes Asian culture I can stand, and back 100%

Well I am white but I don't think of myself as wanting to be anything other than what I am.

I embrace my culture and language and I have an interest in other cultures, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I do know people who seem to think they are Asian for some reason though and they really richard simmons me off.

This one kid claims he can speak Japanese but he just mumbles randomly and anyone whoever heard the language before can tell he is just an idiot and then there are the ones who only watch anime and then claim they know everything about the culture.

Well those people annoy me too, but I don't think I should have to feel ashamed for not being Asian and enjoying the culture.

I act like myself and no one else. :)

See, you're the type of person who actually WANTS to learn the language by means of appreciation, most Wasians simply do it cause of anime. That type of person who likes Asian culture I can stand, and back 100%

Yeah, I think that annoys a lot of white people too (or at least the people with a well structured mind), or it should. I always think to myself "I want to learn Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Whatever, but if I was Asian, I would want to learn Spanish, so I'm happy of being Spanish because all the people say Spanish is a very difficult language". So I like how I am xD.

Oh and those people who think/wish they're otakus are so pathetic (no offense)... Just being an otaku is so... stupid? I don't know...

Guest xXpinkpillsXx

so some of you weresaying that its wasian or whatever to speak the asian language to a native speaker? but then u say its grand if a person wants to learn the language? but there not allowed to speak it to ppl? is it? so its ok but its not ok? what about asian ppl who move to a western countries speak to local ppl with there broken english? i looked at that blog posted be4 i thought it was very sweet, basically i think wasain is just a racist word to label white ppl who are trying to embrace other cultures

so some of you weresaying that its wasian or whatever to speak the asian language to a native speaker? but then u say its grand if a person wants to learn the language? but there not allowed to speak it to ppl? is it? so its ok but its not ok? what about asian ppl who move to a western countries speak to local ppl with there broken english?

Lol, it's obvious that if you want to learn a language well, you better talk w/ native people so I don't think the people who do that are wasians, or at least not all. I support you with that.

i saw the first post and the person said i was called a korean wannabee before

lol i was called that too well like once and i dont really care either i'm asian too!!!

um for me they are sometimes annoying, like they start "trying" to speak your language

or like they start to bring like asian stuff to school like chopsticks, oragami, and all those things haha

i have more reasons but i just can't think of any ^__^

Guest CitrusFlower

so some of you weresaying that its wasian or whatever to speak the asian language to a native speaker? but then u say its grand if a person wants to learn the language? but there not allowed to speak it to ppl? is it? so its ok but its not ok? what about asian ppl who move to a western countries speak to local ppl with there broken english? i looked at that blog posted be4 i thought it was very sweet, basically i think wasain is just a racist word to label white ppl who are trying to embrace other cultures

I can tell you exactly why. If that white person decides to live in Japan then of course he should learn it properly and speak it with the native just like we are. We're Asians living in America and it's proper for us to learn and speak the language or we won't make a living. The Wasian people are talking about are those who are obsess with only the media and have no interest in learning. Knows the simple Kawaii!!!! and think he or she is a master

Guest babyN_xxs

its good ppl like asians...its better then a hitler racist mofo.

anyone who has a problem with wasians can STFU so annoying.

let ppl do what the heck they want

I know what you mean . I know a lot of want to be "wassians", mostly at my old high school . All they did was say "sugoi" "kawaii" and all that stuff, without actually knowing the culture .

I'm proud to be spanish, and won't switch it for a thing .

Guest une_fleur

I can't stand it.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but what appeals to them so much of asian culture rather than any other? Why want to be asian? Usually this comes from an interest in Japanese culture, but why? Cool video games and cartoons make them wish they were someone/something else?

Asian culture is great and all, but it's not that amazing to put it above any other culture. (I don't mean offence by this, I'm just trying to make a point of why asian culture is put on a pedestal?)

People need to be proud of who they are! :)

i like korean culture and i enjoy listening to korean songs and watch korean dramas... so some people label me wannabe korean....

when people found out, i knew understand nihonggo and that i read manga and watch anime.. they call me wannabe japanese..

LMAO. these judgemental people.

JUST THE ONES THAT ARE LIKE, "i swear i'm JAPANESE ON THE INSIIIIIIIIIIDE KONNEECHEEWAAAHH" those are annoying. jesus.

LOOOOL

Guest photo.ollie

In what way? Like trying to dress like them or denying their heritage and claiming themselves to be Korean or Japanese?

Are you talking about Asians wanting to be caucasians? How do you get the idea that Asians have surgery to make their eyes bigger because they want to look white? Some Asians already have big eyes. I would think that the reason some would make their eyes bigger is because they want to look like them, asians with big eyes.

I agree I dont like this thread either. The term "wannabe asians" and even "white washed asians" sound stupid. It's hurful because many people dont want to label with these names.

Can you please tell me what are the things that asians take for granted that are all originated from "western" countries? I kind of curious.

like t.vs, computers, all these things started off in western countries such as america.

and all your kpop etc is all westernized by far.

Guest she-smiles

i have a lot of white friends who love to hang out with asians.

i mean, i don't blame them cause we're just that cool. lol, jk.

& they are also interested in asian cultures.

but i wouldn't stereotype them as asian-wannabes.

hmm.

i was reading HARAKO's definition of an asian-wannabe.

& all i can say is, i haven't yet encountered someone that extreme.

thank god too.

cause i'd probably slap that person back to reality.

oh yeah.

& about that question pertaining to "white-washed asians"

well, i have a korean friend

& the first time we met, he asked me if i was korean.

and i was like, "no, are you?"

and he was like, "yeah, but i don't speak that richard simmons."

and i thought to myself, hmm. maybe he's adopted?

then i later found out that he was NOT adopted.

he's pusan born, moved to the states, & hates koreans.

idk why.

but he's like......... really, really anti-asian.

but he's still my friend :]

Archived