Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Guest p4nda

Man, I totally understand you. The ones that are just interested in the Asian cultures are okay, but the ones that goes crazily obsessed over little insignifcant Asian things, scream out "KAWAII, tee hee hee!!!", bust out the fob sign everywhere they go and in every pictures, and draw the drastic slit line on the end of their eyes with eyeliners are just annoying.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest for3v3rlost

i dont really care.. if that's what they want to be then let them! it wont hurt any sides. Beside i have a friend who tried to act asian he'd pretty fun to be with.

Guest zeram

*yawn*

I find this whole thread rather bizzare. I've gone from feeling insulted to amused to just :blink: all within a matter of a few posts. I keep thinking of that saying about when you assume things making an a** out of u and me

richard simmons u me

How do you really know someone is a wannabe anything? Unless you know someones family tree in intricate detail you don't really know anything about their ethnic background and thus can not make any really judgements on whether or not they are wannabe *insert culture here*.

Take it from someone who has endured this kind of bull hooey where ppl thought I was trying to be something else. I happen to come from a family that is mixed on both sides. So I wasn't trying to be whatever ethnicity..I actually *am* that ethnicity. Just because it isn't apparent from my appearance doesn't mean that it isn't so.

I would caution against just assuming someone is lying or a wannabe when they claim a certain ethnicity unless you know the person very well.

Also, if you are in america then this really doesn't make sense. This whole country is founded on the idea of the melting pot and many people take this seriously. They are actively interested in and incorporating many cultures into their lives. It doesn't mean they hate the culture they were born into it just means they welcome, embrace and admire the richness of other cultures as well as their own. I think this should be commended and not ridiculed and looked down on as it seems some in this thread are doing.

I don't wish to offend anyone but it's one thing to express concern about someones (what you may consider) unusual interest in other cultures....it's quite another thing when you start designating people as being pathetic :(

Guest andy.p

LOL... WHAT!?!??!

a wannabe asian??? LOL

never met one and prob never seen one... besides, the fad with the kids these days is hip hop (note:i didnt say "black"). Maybe in a decade, the in thing will be "asian".

Guest sweetddalki

This is hilarious. I've seen people who are "Asian washed" and Asians who are "White washed" // "Black washed" // "Brown washed" whatever. So they like certain things. It's their life. I'll admit people who take Japanese and have learned like two words and go around saying them like a broken record annoy me [Yeah I took Japanese in HS cause I wanted a challenge and not just take Spanish cause I already speak it] but whatever. Yeah I've been told I was reincarnated into the wrong family and such [i'm not Asian] but I don't care and I don't really listen to it. I've gotten the "You're so Asian" and the classic "You and my daughter should switch places" [from my Korean friends mom] but it's just funny to me. I'll always be what I am, I don't deny it and I'm proud of it cause I'm an individual who breaks stereotypes. SO I like certain music, fashion and such; some of it falls under the category of Asia and that's totally fine. I say a person can be cultured and learn languages, befriend different races and explore the world. But once they deny who they are they have crossed the line... There was this one girl I knew that was Viet but claimed to be Filipino and a boy who is Burmese that claimed to be Filipino. That's just too much. And something else I've noticed. When an Asian is "White washed" no one seems to make a big deal out of it. When an Asian is "Black or Brown washed" no one makes a big deal about it either. They're accepted. But when another race is "Asian washed" it gets all controversial. WTF is up with that? I mean I live in San Francisco and went to a school where the student body was basically 50% Asian, 25% Black and 25% everything else [Where I fall in]. So the mix was interesting. But that's just my experience // opinion. I say like whatever you want to like.

zeram- You're awesome :D We live in America, it's a melting pot of different things. Shouldn't people be glad others show an interest in their culture instead of shun and make fun of it?

Guest yay =-

hmm..i see more asians that want to be black than whites that want to be asian..maybe you should start worrying about your own kind and not others

and 'japanese street fashion' and all that lovely stuff..do you think it really originated in japan? they take most of their fashion from europe and then do a few little adjustments and call it japanese, as are many things in modern asian culture including the kpop you guys all love, it's just a ripoff of bad western pop music..and if you want to get technical white people invented the automobile, the computer, the internet, the integrated circuit, penicillin, the airplane, hip hop and classical music, the legal system, most modern clothes, and yes even condoms, so I guess using all those things would be a white thing to do right? so please let's not play this who's trying to be who game because you guys will lose

i agree , all of the stuff you mentioned is true and i wont deny that , but you didnt have to say "you guys" because not everyone here is comparing stuff...

Guest eumsung

what about W-koreans? you can't say it's not true.. korea is taking over and ppl just wanna be korean... thank god i'm original

I feel this thread is really contridicting itself in some ways.

And about Lolita fashion, how is that wannabe asian if someone dresses like that??

That is european fashion, the only thing is that those visual kei bands dress like that so I guess it no longer belongs to europe right?? :rolleyes:

How come everything else is universal like hip hop, punk rock everything else, but as soon as people start dressing Japanese street style, watching anime, it totally belongs to asia?? I just want to know cuz I'm confused.

Guest mikez

i have a jewish friend who is friends with everysingle asian i know lol... and thats pretty much all his friends.

i dont care if they wannabe asians tho, its fun to tease them sometimes :P

Guest cpopbaby19

AHHAHA.

im asian..

i do that too.. you know im like 'im not a flip, im korean'

O_O

XD

hahha

yeah, that's life~ [;

Guest amiyu

WEll there are asians that want to be caucasian.

But I'm caucasian... but I'm not a "Wasian". I'm just interested in asian culture... don't exactly want to be a wannabe. O__O

Guest Tetra

How come everything else is universal like hip hop, punk rock everything else, but as soon as people start dressing Japanese street style, watching anime, it totally belongs to asia?? I just want to know cuz I'm confused.

Because *good* anime belongs to japan :phew:

Guest mangchilo

Now, I am learning Japanese. I'd like to learn more about the culture and be able to talk to Japanese so I could broaden my horizons. I'm sorry, but I'd like to be able to converse with more people than just those who speak English. If everyone only spoke their Native language, then how would we be able to understand everyone else? However I don't think people should just start saying random words they learn from anime or Asian music. Most of the people who do so probably don't understand what they are saying, and may be saying something offensive. Yet if I hear someone say Konnichi wa or Arigatou, even though I am not Japanese, I think it is cool that someone else appreciates something I do as well.

There's nothing wrong with that! So many people want to learn Japanese and Korean and Chinese, and that's good and cool and deeper than just pop culture. What's not so cool is when people want to learn a few words just to understand more anime (I know some people who've said that's the only reason they take Japanese <_<) or know maybe two words but run around saying them all the time and claiming they speak Japanese and are experts on all things related to Japan. If trying to learn the language made me a wannabe then I'd be a wannabe, too. :rolleyes: I don't mind people speaking Korean and Japanese a little in the halls even if they're not Japanese/Korean/Chinese/whatever...as long as it's not just imitating their favorite anime characters.

Anyway, I don't slam those people, I just don't hang with them much because even though we're all interested in Asia and have Asian friends we actually don't share the same interests in most cases, I've found, and tend to clash personality-wise.

Guest avii_ichigo09

^ i agree so SO much.

i've a classmate who's asian too..but she's such a wanna be korean!!

i mean it's okay to be a fan, blahblah, and some people really are (insert whatever race here) on the inside, it will just show. but if they used to not act that way or it's just so "LOOK I DO KOREAN THINGS 8D" and it doesn't fit them...argghhhhhh a little is okay but too much is just TOO MUCH.

okay sorry i'm annoyed with that classmate ;P

Guest ladee_bug

I've never met any, but I can tell there are many out there.

I don't know, not much you can do.

haha yeah, I've been called a wanna be korean because I can write and read... (and.. act? look?) lol but it dies down after a while. I think.

It did for me.

Guest klarisse

well, since i live in the philippines i dont really know a lot of 'wasians'.

but i do have some classmates who are all 'kawaii!' and 'hai!' all the time. i don't really think they can be considered as wannabe asians. aside from the fact that they try to speak in their limited japanese vocabulary (to show-off a little, i guess? haha), they don't really show obsession or whatever. ^^

Guest x_terr

ohmygoodness, wannabe asians richard simmons me off. they are so annoying, and i mean cmon, they know they're not asian..so why try to act like it? i mean, no matter how much you act like you're asian...you're never gonna change. ._.

Guest mp.ARK

I absolutely do not respect people who completely leave their culture to be Asian... especially when they do it for selfish reasons: trying to look cool, to hit on Asian girls, etc.

Archived