Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yubumsuk

Actually, before it was the influence of Caucasian. They thought Caucasian people were higher in rank and wanted to be like them.

Now the statistics say that most Asian people who get surgery doesn't want to look "Caucasian". They still want to look "Asian".

But to be honest...no race has a certain culture. Everyone takes it from everyone else.

Japan's culture is originally a bit from Germany and Korea and Japan's culture is REAL similar.

If you watched goong, the prince/princess culture that was in the drama was exactly alike with the Japanese emperor and empress and how they live.

And many other cultural things come from China too...

You can say Asian culture is also a bit like American culture. Mix of many different cultures to make a new culture in their own way.

So to be honest, idk why Asians are being freaking defensive. No culture is totally original, it comes from different people.

On the surface Korean and Japanese culture appear to have many similarities, but underneath there are a lot of profound differences. Rhee Won-bok, in Korea Unmasked, makes the argument that France and England have more similarities with each other than do Korea and Japan, and having been to all four and knowing people from all four countries I'd be inclined to agree with him.

First impressions of European visitors to East Asia were very mixed. In the 17th-19th centuries they were generally viewed as 'clever barbarians'. Hendrick Hamel, the first European to write an account of Korea in the 17th century, describes people finding Europeans both freakish and stunning at the same time. They did not, however, consider white people to be 'higher in rank', as they felt they lacked the morality that came with an understanding of Confucian texts.

You're right, though, about the amount of cultural borrowing that's gone on. A lot of things and ideas that came to East Asia from the west have also been heavily modified if not completely transformed, often to reflect a neo-Confucian, collectivist society.

Guest xTwilight

So to be honest, idk why Asians are being freaking defensive. No culture is totally original, it comes from different people.

We don't like people screaming kawaii desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu like there's no tomorrow. We could care less about interest in cultures.

Guest CitrusFlower

Have you looked at many NE Asian fashion magazines and ads? Many of the Asian models look so caucasion that you'd suspect them of being mixed-race, and the white models are all very pale-skinned Eastern Europeans, often adolescents. Why are pale-skinned Asian models with caucasion features chosen in such disproportionate numbers, and why is this the 'ideal woman' so many Asian women and girls desire to be?

Yeah and still I said I was born natural all the feauture you stated so I'm born a white wannabe right? Last I know Asians are already pale and your throwing all these stereotype. Do you think teh ideal Asian woemn is suppose to be tan with black hair and small eyes with an ugly nose? Every single race get surgery to make themselve look better and not all of them try to be white because of those surgery. Wow they look causcasion and it means the whole Asian race are trying to be white. I admit I've been mistaken as part Caucasion before so what? WHat doest hat have to do with any of it. Some people look partt this and that when their not and that makes wannabe too right

Guest Yubumsuk

Yeah and still I said I was born natural all the feauture you stated so I'm born a white wannabe right? Last I know Asians are already pale and your throwing all these stereotype. Do you think teh ideal Asian woemn is suppose to be tan with black hair and small eyes with an ugly nose? Every single race get surgery to make themselve look better and not all of them try to be white because of those surgery. Wow they look causcasion and it means the whole Asian race are trying to be white. I admit I've been mistaken as part Caucasion before so what? WHat doest hat have to do with any of it. Some people look partt this and that when their not and that makes wannabe too right

It has nothing to do with some East Asians having more Caucasian-looking features; rather, it's about that look being held up as an ideal in East Asia.

Warning: don't take offence to this to whomever it concerns.

I tend to laugh at the white people who are wasians. I don't know why, but its just odd. Some really just push my buttons. They act like their asian, they "understand" about all those asian dramas, anime, and what not, and especially when we go out to eat, they HAVE to use chopsticks. Like if you can use them, good for you, but you don't have to use them ALL THE TIME! Not even us true asians do!

But my friends and friends of friends that know me tend to joke that I'm Japanese or every asian combined to become "Super Honger!" We don't make fun of wasians as much as we do the twinkies/bananas. What we love to do is make fun of our friends that are asian but act like wasians. Weird but we're all second generaion immigrants or moved here when we were like babies/toddlers. So its weird how we are.

Guest notoriousish

idk, it's like apart of the asian culture now.

especially all the people acting black (i'm kinda, but not really)

like in the american society, i think u HAVE to chose between:

prep/white twinkie

black/ghetto: hip-hop music

cuz, really..there is NO asian image, or way to be, except smart? and slanted eyes?

Guest .iBumm.x

There's this girl in my school that's Asian, speaks Cantonese, but wants to be/speak Japanese.

Shes does use "kawaii!" "sugoi" "desu yo" "baka" instead of "cute", "idiot"

In class when everyone quiet, and doing their work, out of nowhere shes says "Moshi Moshi" EVERY FREAKING TIME

Shes very annoying.

Guest sweetbow

This is like the best thread ever for me, there's this girl in my school seriously annoying. She calls herself asian because her dad is half iraqi,so usually her screen name would be azngirlnumbernumber (see you assume she's oriental),she also calls herself oriental because her neighbor is chinese and her neighbor and her are like sisters,she collects peekaboopooh and constantly shows it off,she always says do ma mae,she overdoes the peace sign with the "lip pout thing" (or atleast she tries to) more than the "average" asian girl,she calls bulemic people fat when she herself weighs more then 20 pounds more than them,she constantly copies other peoples style (see a person wear it goes out and buys it, and said they got it first or that her mom made her get it , she's used that excuse hundereds of times), I know some of the things listed aren't really wasian but I just really needed to rant for a sec.

(BTW:Almost all the people in my family between the ages of 10 and 18 are really influenced by korean culture but we don't go OPPPAAA or UNNNIEEEEEE or I'M YOUR NOOOOONNNAAAA LISTEN TO MEEEE. We just enjoy korean music and dramas. We're Vietnamese,so we don't really have a good music backround so I guess you could call most of us "korean wannabes".)

[What is it with me and bolding and brakets?]

Guest Mizzike

meh. you like the culture, eat the food, and speak the language, that's fine.

If you start giving yourself names in that language and pretty much just try-too-hard, then it gets annoying.

The worst case is the j-rock wasians. Calling themselves "sakura-chan" and crap like that, walking around with alice 9 and Dir En Grey stickers all over their hello kitty crap, it gets pretty discusting.

Guest lulunotlemon*

Erm...

I've been called a "Korean wannabe" more than 3 times by different ppl LOL ^^v... tch I'm Chinese and proud (:

She calls herself asian because her dad is half iraqi,so usually her screen name would be azngirlnumbernumber (see you assume she's oriental),she also calls herself oriental because her neighbor is chinese and her neighbor and her are like sisters,she collects peekaboopooh and constantly shows it off,she always says do ma mae,she overdoes the peace sign with the "lip pout thing" (or atleast she tries to) more than the "average" asian girl,she calls bulemic people fat when she herself weighs more then 20 pounds more than them,she constantly copies other peoples style (see a person wear it goes out and buys it, and said they got it first or that her mom made her get it , she's used that excuse hundereds of times),

That is annoying!!

Other than that. No i don't find asian wannabes annoying. (:

It's great when other non-Asians like your culture and wants to learn about it!

Guest ilikewindows

my cousins girlfriend is kinda like a wana be asian...

especially around chinese new year time lmaoo

Guest raspberrii

i think if you start being in the state of mind that you are something youre not or if you get obsessed with something than its a bit freaky, and definitely unhealthy...for example believing youre asian, or believing youre married to some videogame or anime character that DOESNT EXIST...

Guest FoolsOnlyTears

eh this girl next to me in class keeps on saying "kawaii!" & etc...

it didn't bother me at first but then she just kept on saying it so yea i got annoyed

later during the year, there was a transfer student from Korea and she was like "OMG i have to be friends with her! She can be my 1st FOB friend!"

that didn't bother me but what bothered me was how she would look down on her own race saying bad things.

oh yea, she only talked to me cuz she thought i was a fob....

Guest marco.polo

I think its cool that they take interest in Asian cultures, but at the same time it's kinda sad how they don't seem/appear to have a lot of pride for their own cultures.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest understanding_fiction

omgz everyone needs to just shush!

white ppl who speak random words in teh asian language, SPECIFICALLY kawaii, konnichiwa, arigatou or sumfink korean like oppa, are LAME and rather infelicitous

everyone knows it ppl are just too politically correct to say it

white ppl who eat poky are stupid

there are better things out there den pocky!!

wasians are so lame and there are heaps of this forum

if you cant speak korean why listen to korean music you dun even know what theyre saying it could be burn all white ppl and you just think you look cool

n dun be all like "well i get translations off the internets" because thats still lame you still dont understand what words theyre speaking and alot of asian languages dont translate well into english

no im not racist i just hate wannabes and freaks who are obsessed with our culture .. *rolls eyez* get ova it! you cant be as cute and sexy as us lil asians so beat it!

Wow. o_O

How long will this one last on soompi?

Guest maydx93

they can't help it, asians are special like that!! but there is a thing called asian at heart, I'm an actual Asian, and I'm asian at heart too, I don't just look Asian. I'm Asian, and I'm proud

Archived