Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

Guest jiwoneex3

according to your definition of a wasian,

i guess i've never met one then.

but my white friend always speaks korean to me :)cursing at me and a bunch of stupid stuff. i find it more funny than annoying.

and my chinese friend does the same.

she's always like "안녕' when she sees me :D

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest totorogirl88

lmao, i met this black girl who is obsessed with asian culture, like she knows all the korean, japanese and taiwanese dramas, boy bands and singers, she listens to the music and she sings along. its weird but interesting lol

Guest MrMister

I have friends that really don't like them because they're sometimes really annoying, no offense.

But then isn't it sad that they don't have pride in their own culture either? <_<

EDIT, again.:

To get things straight.

Just because someone likes anime, eats pocky, wants to learn Japanese or whatever asian language there is, or has an interest in the asian culture doesn't mean they're Wasian.

Wasians are non-asians who WISH and THINK that they are asian. And think so themself-- but probably would deny it when you ask them to their faces and continue their "oh-so-asian" lifestyle.

Anything asian = they wannabe there!

Anyone asian = they want to be their friends.

Chopsticks! = must eat with chopsticks because asians do.

Omg, must say "kawaii!", "sugoi!", "---desu yo!", "baka!", etc. instead of just "cute!" or "stupid!"

And all of the other annoying things they do to annoy ANYBODY. But see, most of what I just explained ^ were mostly about OTAKU.

Yes, the idea that there aren't only asians on Soompi is clear, and just for joining Soompi doesn't mean they're "wasian".

No offense.

I think some Asians in America think this way because they're not used to seeing non-Asians like Asian culture. It's true that very few non-Asians like Asian culture. But to be fair, we shouldn't be too harsh on the people who like Asians. It's like us (and the great majority of us) getting into Western culture. I don't understand why you want Asian culture to be recognized while you don't want it to be enjoyed by non-Asians. Why should Asian culture be only to Asians when Western culture is everywhere?

Guest sexyguitarist_

well, i guess it's natural. i dunno. im an asian, and i have friends who are.. hmm.. let's say.. korean wannabe?

it's really annoying though. but i cant blame them. korean dramas are soooo famous here. they're trying to imitate the actors and actresses. even the hairstyles and such.

Guest MrMister

I know that the Koreans in Korea would be happy about it. I think some Koreans in America are used to seeing everyone going for Western culture and find Korean culture having any influence in America to be awkward. Don't take me wrong. I'm an Asian from America myself.

I'd rather have Americans enjoy Asian culture than watch them diss it like I have seen numerous times.

The ironic thing to me is that identifying oneself as 'Asian' is a very North American thing to do. Nobody who actually grew up and lives in Asia does that. They all identify themselvs by national / ethnic groups, not by global region. Calling a Korean, Filipino, Malaysian, and Cantonese 'Asian' when it comes to culture seems a bit like saying to an Irishman, Portuguese, Turk, and Russian 'Tell me about your European culture'.

You're right. I rarely see Asians in Asia talk about "Asians".

Guest dive to blue

I'm Filipino, and I'm not really sure if that constitutes as Asian or Pacific Islander (but no need to discuss it here.)

I listen to a lot of music, including American rock and indie, Korean pop, Japanese rock and pop, Spanish rock, and even a bit of Swedish goth.

I also am into anime and video games (but I suppose I'm a closet nerd?)

I enjoy watching Japanese and Korean dramas, as well as movies.

The Philippines...their game shows are amusing. ^_^

I think what really considered is appreciation of the culture. Otaku were mentioned before, and I'm sure that many of them appreciate Japanese culture. However, some otaku (not to single anybody out, though) are "Japanophiles" (check it up on Wikipedia). In that sense, the social culture of a country is mistaken and misinterpreted through the media, which for some, may be through music, movies, anime, manga, videos they see over the internet, and such.

There, I think is what many people find insulting, because their culture is being "upheld" by those who don't really know every detail of it. To put it simply, it's ignorance.

EDIT: Not that it's a bad thing to appreciate Asian cultures, I mean I appreciate all cultures (unless your culture is to be racist. ^_^)

For me, these "wannabe" Asians, are just people trying to embrace another culture, and yes, they are annoying at times. However, I'm not going to abuse them in any sense.

You can't really change where you came from, nor the way you were born, and I think it's best to appreciate not just one culture and wish or "wannabe" it, but rather, appreciate the cultures around you and even your own.

Guest xlightzax

i don't think its a bad thing that they admire asian cultures, music and all that stuff. but when it gets annoying, and frustrating for ourselves, then its just weird. because i do have friends who ask me for help in chinese and teach them stuff. but i think thats a good thing to do, and to actually ask someone to learn.

Guest Yubumsuk

I know that the Koreans in Korea would be happy about it. I think some Koreans in America are used to seeing everyone going for Western culture and find Korean culture having any influence in America to be awkward. Don't take me wrong. I'm an Asian from America myself.

Koreans in Korea love to see others taking an interest in their culture, at least superficially. They seem to love foreigners dressing up in hanbok on TV and eating kimchi.

Where Korean culture is having the biggest influence at the moment is actually ... in Asia, especially SE Asia. Korean programmes are all over Thai, Cambodian, Lao, Vietnamese and Filipino TV. Ads for Samsung and LG as well as their products are everywhere. People are driving KIAs and Daewoos and riding around in Hyundai buses complete with Korean noraebang systems. Korean companies are diving in along with Korean corporate culture. Korean construction companies are influencing the architectural landscape of SE Asian cities. SE Asian artists are plagiarising K-pop tunes. Basically Korean culture is having an impact one could never imagine it happening in North America. Apart from the Internet I can honestly say I don't ever remember meeting a white or black person when I was living in either Canada or the US who was into Korean culture. When I visit Canada and tell people that I live in Korea I can expect to get asked 'North or South?'. When I've visited Southeast Asia and told people that I can expect to get asked what it's like to live and work here, and even what the employment situation's like.

yeah. haha. we are pretty similar.

I don't have a problem with being asian-washed. I just listen to music I love, and if that happens to be korean music, then so be it!

my love for korean music is actually one of the things that make me unique as a brown girl :)

I used to listen to azn music alot

But I'm its all about da azn-american artist

FM

Jin

etc.

Guest eneri04

i know someone who's addicted to anime and

even thinks that she's living in her world of anime.

yes, it is annoying. it's VERY annoying.

she doesn't like any person but instead,

she devotes her time and love to rukawa.

yes, he's the one from slam dunk.

but what can i do, she's filipino and she's asian.

the only think that i don't get is when some people tag someone as a wasian when they're really asian.

japan and korea aren't the only countries in asia.

if it's so, then asia won't be the largest continent in the entire world.

philippines, indonesia, malaysia, thailand, cambodia, india, and many more are part of asia.

i get hurt when people think of other asians as wasians.

thai, malay, singaporean, filipino fans of animes, mangas, korean and japanese music, dramas and movies, etc.,

shouldn't be tagged as wasians.

they are just plain asians who are fans of creations of/or other fellow asians.

Guest loveamii

umm i know people like that

but they're not as extreme i suppose

it doesnt really bother me much

but if they constantly use those kind of phrases... that'd be hecka annoying

Guest milkylee

omgz everyone needs to just shush!

white ppl who speak random words in teh asian language, SPECIFICALLY kawaii, konnichiwa, arigatou or sumfink korean like oppa, are LAME and rather infelicitous

everyone knows it ppl are just too politically correct to say it

white ppl who eat poky are stupid

there are better things out there den pocky!!

wasians are so lame and there are heaps of this forum

if you cant speak korean why listen to korean music you dun even know what theyre saying it could be burn all white ppl and you just think you look cool

n dun be all like "well i get translations off the internets" because thats still lame you still dont understand what words theyre speaking and alot of asian languages dont translate well into english

no im not racist i just hate wannabes and freaks who are obsessed with our culture .. *rolls eyez* get ova it! you cant be as cute and sexy as us lil asians so beat it!

Guest My Sweet September

oh my gosh.. if you're not wasian why are you on soompi!!!!

Uhhh...because it's a huge active forum?????

Personally I am here for the BEAUTY and HEALTH forum and the OTHER CELEBS forum.

Don't be so narrow-minded and stupid >.< Does the slogan say "k-pop for the koreans"??? No, it says for the masses. That doesn't limit ethnicity or race, so how presumptuous of you to assume you must be korean to be on this forum. Get over yourself. Not every non-korean on this forum wants to be korean. I certainly don't. I have a minor interest in the entertainment because I've seen some good films from Korea. But that's about it.

Duude. I wear circle lenses and am teaching myself mandarin chinese. I also listen to c-pop. And watch asian movies. According of many of you here, I'd be an Asiaphile.

Does this mean girls who where Solotica lenses want to be Brazilian? People who teach themselves English want to be Western? People who listen to german rock want to be German???? People who watch Hollywood productions want to become American?

No.

But because I am into some Chinese stuff, I'll get judged for it. And it angers me to no end because people don't think it's as bad as making fun of someone FOR their race. It is hurtful at times, knowing I am being stereotyped simply for listening to a chinese band, or having a few HK DVD's in my collection.

I shouldn't have to be feel embarrassed that I don't let the color of my skin determine the music I listen to, the movies I watch, the clothes I buy, or the contacts I wear.

But it can be embarrassing. It shouldn't be, but it is.

And milkylee you're a john teshing arrogant richard simmons. Someone who takes racial pride way to john teshing far. I for one think racial pride is stupid. i'm not proud to be white. Why should I be? I can't control it. You can't control you are korean? Why be proud of the fact you are?

I take pride in something I accomplish from my own merit. When I was the only one in my district to go to State for Power of the Pen, I was proud. When I got first place in track events, I was proud.

But I have no problem with people who are proud of their race. Thats fine, perhaps they look at "pride" in a different way than I.

Archived