Reputation System Reform(ed)

orangeman

Guest binaa2

Personally i find it pretty pointless. Replace it with a thanks button instead. Thats mainly what i use it for now anyways.

The added benefit is that hopefully it will remove some of the replies thats basically just a "thank you" lowering the spam.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Naked-Fanatic

For those who haven't yet noticed, I mistakenly made all your votes public. Not that it really matters in this topic.

It is? It doesn't show who voted what.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest monkeyinabarrel

some threads don't need a negative button but instead a report spam post button.

like debate threads, currently listening to, what did you wear and so on

Guest chancy426

Since this is a forum, I do not feel that a vote post up or vote post down is necessary. If a disagreement for a comment arises, it should be backed up with a counter reasoning. Like for a debate, if someone you can't just give them a down for an answer without a reason. Without the up and down voting, if someone disagrees enough they will have an urge to post up a counter reasoning and if they agree enough they can post also. If a person posts something, it is linked to their username and creates personality for that individual as to how they think. This will get more people to post and interact with the community and know one another even though this is "virtual."

I think that the term agree or disagree would be better also, if someone posts something that is constructive criticism about a particular celeb's acting and gets voted down a gazillion times, its obvious that it's that a cult is attacking on that. Instead of just disagreeing it would be better if the voters could share their own thoughts or try to sway the disagreeing voice. This system tends to be abused in many communities.

I also agree to making ups and down voters visible if the system is kept in place. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elysium.

I put in my vote for the reputation system to be demolished.

I don't like the whole idea of having a popularity contest, it's just like high school all over again, except you don't know who's the bully.

Guest MC_Lee

I put in my vote for the reputation system to be demolished.

I don't like the whole idea of having a popularity contest, it's just like high school all over again, except you don't know who's the bully.

I agree. Soompi is a forum for a reason.

Everyone should be able to express their opinion, without being afraid of getting bashed.

The reputation system makes it feel like a dictatorship.

Easy remedy: install AdBlock and block the little buttons. 

And no, the reputation system is not a dictatorship considering the users themselves employ it as a tool and no one entity dictates what green or red. Group-think or something along those lines would make more sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaejoongie <3

i think there should be an option to leave a message why someone is marking someone down or up.

sometimes I get confused why anyone would mark me down. o.o;;

i like the reputation system though =)

it's cool.

• 3 months later...
Guest cakepop

I agree with what some of you have said. I am new to this community and somebody already gave my post a negative . I don't think this is fair I did not even know what those were. I feel if this person had an issue with my post then maybe they should reply and write why they think negatively of a post. 

I agree with what some of you have said. I am new to this community and somebody already gave my post a negative . I don't think this is fair I did not even know what those were. I feel if this person had an issue with my post then maybe they should reply and write why they think negatively of a post. 

Yeah, it happens a lot here.

I think you were given a negative point because you posted a thread for a website the same way bots and spammers do it. You obviously are a person, so if you want to not get banned for looking like a spammer, then you need to edit your posts to remove that website name.

No, because derailing a topic is frowned upon.

Chances are, the response would be completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Much like this response. Has nothing to do with rep system or social reforms.

Guest Lightbug

There have been more than a few times that I wanted to give my honest opinion, but I was afraid to out of fear of getting negative rep points.  While this can encourage people to think carefully before they post and accidentally offend someone, it can also discourage free discussion, IMHO.  Simply put, you may fear that you could get a bad reputation if you happen to disagree with the majority on some issues, and choose not to voice your opinion at all.

How about allowing Soompiers to view who is repping them?

I bet negative reps won't be given out so freely if people aren't shielded by anonymity ;)

That's true (+1, by the way), but if it even is an option, it would need to fit somewhere as a list or as a link to a list. It would be somewhat inconvenient if it was possible.

I agree with both of these. One solution could be to add an extra button beside the + and - that will pop out to show you all the users and reasons, and in addition, when you vote, there is a bar that pops up to ask for your reason and if there is none you will not be allowed to vote.

This could also minimize the posts of people just wanting to say "I love your outfit!" "I agree with you!" and etc.

A user in the previous pages mentioned that the neg votes sometimes helps to identify people who we should not take seriously, and I think that is very helpful, especially for people new to the forums.

I voted for it to stay because I don't really care if I get negged (I do feel better if I get positive'd though ;) ), because I've been negged for the most trivial things like saying clips on my fringe is ugly. Although I can see that it is pointless and does not affect me at all, it would be nice to know WHY I was negged for that... because if people were offended by that, I am starting to lose hope in the users in this forum.

I have also seen people getting negged for no reason at all, and the most recent is a user posting in the "what did you buy today" thread with her shopping. They were expensive items, yes, and it could be a form of show off, but there are other users who do the exact same thing and get lots of positives for it, just because they are regulars. It's ridiculous.

There have been more than a few times that I wanted to give my honest opinion, but I was afraid to out of fear of getting negative rep points.  While this can encourage people to think carefully before they post and accidentally offend someone, it can also discourage free discussion, IMHO.  Simply put, you may fear that you could get a bad reputation if you happen to disagree with the majority on some issues, and choose not to voice your opinion at all.

Please don't let that discourage you at all. I have expressed some of my opinions that I was so sure would bring negs, but they were some of the posts that got me the most positives, which was a pleasant surprise. IMO, if people are easily offended, they shouldn't be online at all. Also, even if I don't agree with you but see that you have been negged for no reason at all, I will bring it up and I am sure there are some users out there that will :).

IMO the only thing that should stop you from posting is when the person you want to reply to goes around in circles (I'm sure you all seen this in the current events forum) and isn't worth your time, or when they are bean pie and it gets out of hand.

I agree with both of these. One solution could be to add an extra button beside the + and - that will pop out to show you all the users and reasons, and in addition, when you vote, there is a bar that pops up to ask for your reason and if there is none you will not be allowed to vote.

mandatory comment field would be nice, though I use Linky plugin so I just make a big rectangle across 15 posts and apply rep in one shot indiscriminately.

Favor system in discuz! boards: give rep? Leave comment.

More inconvenient than pushing a button, but it gets the job done.

Rep system at hongfire: leave comment, or no reps. They have a fairly large community as well, though compared to soompi I'm not sure of the difference.

I don't know what IPB offers (the forum software here), nor am I sure whether it's simply unfeasible due to the amount of users.

Some people in the past used to think a troll was "wasting forum space" with some 100-200 posts (or just one). Well now imagine 10 million comments hitting the servers everyday.

mandatory comment field would be nice, though I use Linky plugin so I just make a big rectangle across 15 posts and apply rep in one shot indiscriminately.

Favor system in discuz! boards: give rep? Leave comment.

More inconvenient than pushing a button, but it gets the job done.

Rep system at hongfire: leave comment, or no reps. They have a fairly large community as well, though compared to soompi I'm not sure of the difference.

I don't know what IPB offers (the forum software here), nor am I sure whether it's simply unfeasible due to the amount of users.

Some people in the past used to think a troll was "wasting forum space" with some 100-200 posts (or just one). Well now imagine 10 million comments hitting the servers everyday.

Yeah you are quite right, it is inconvenient .. perhaps only a pop up bar for reason when someone negs, and none for positives?

I like the rep system at hongfire you mentioned as well, that could work.

It's kind of hard to voice your opinion, but having the reputation system can make it harder. I don't even know why people give a dislike when I have said nothing wrong? Closed minded people shouldn't be in a forum if they can't take a good argument/debate.

Its quite frustrating.

It's kind of hard to voice your opinion, but having the reputation system can make it harder. I don't even know why people give a dislike when I have said nothing wrong? Closed minded people shouldn't be in a forum if they can't take a good argument/debate.

Its quite frustrating.

Likewise, why should close-minded people not be allowed to voice their opinion at all?

Plus, what makes someone close-minded?

If they don't agree with you?

If they don't agree with you even after you show them why they're wrong?

If they don't agree with you even when everyone else tells them they're wrong?

If they don't agree with you even when all of the news reports and "experts" in the field say the same thing?

If they neg-rep you?

The reputation system has definitely made it easier for people to not get banned for comments they otherwise would have posted.

Likewise, why should close-minded people not be allowed to voice their opinion at all?

Plus, what makes someone close-minded?

If they don't agree with you?

If they don't agree with you even after you show them why they're wrong?

If they don't agree with you even when everyone else tells them they're wrong?

If they don't agree with you even when all of the news reports and "experts" in the field say the same thing?

If they neg-rep you?

The reputation system has definitely made it easier for people to not get banned for comments they otherwise would have posted.

Ah dang it!!! Nothing of what I wrote was posted. -_-

I'm just saying that I feel like the negative reps should have a readable reason written by the person giving it. This is so because some of the reasons are so ridiculous. For example I got a negative rep for not understanding a joke.

That's closed minded right there and there's no real reason. Negative reps should be used for when a comment is directly offending people.

The same case with popular soompi UserNames, they may say something that relates in no way to the topic and they have positive reps while someone less known does the same reply and gets 18 negatives.

Overall what I'm trying to say is that all negative reps should have a written reason for us to read. Don't take it away but we must teach users on how to properly use it.

Ah dang it!!! Nothing of what I wrote was posted. -_-

I'm just saying that I feel like the negative reps should have a readable reason written by the person giving it. This is so because some of the reasons are so ridiculous. For example I got a negative rep for not understanding a joke.

That's closed minded right there and there's no real reason. Negative reps should be used for when a comment is directly offending people.

The same case with popular soompi UserNames, they may say something that relates in no way to the topic and they have positive reps while someone less known does the same reply and gets 18 negatives.

Overall what I'm trying to say is that all negative reps should have a written reason for us to read. Don't take it away but we must teach users on how to properly use it.

Aren't you a fan of those comments which in no way relate to the topic and insult others?

Of course the reputation system now reflects their behavior. It is the contribution of the majority who care so much for it.

How will you teach users how to use it?

If you just allow them to give a simple reason, then they will continue to do it and they will post their reason of "I don't like it." If it's a 20 character limit, they will continue to laugh at the rule by posting "Don't like it. /20 char/"

I don't understand this mentality of "what should I post for positive points?" and "I shouldn't post this because of negative points." Post what you will.

For these reasons, I changed my mind about just having a list to show people. I understand now that it won't do anything. Once these negative reputation-dependent people lose their fear of being seen, they won't care about it.

The system is crippling the post quality.

Archived