my PROMblem

jiyongfighting

The strange thing about all this is that it started no more than just 3 days ago. I’m a senior now and as you should know, PROM is just around the corner. Since my freshman year, I guess you can say I pretty much wanted to go to prom. However, around the end of my sophomore year, I kind of figured I wouldn’t be going because I knew my friends wouldn’t be interested in going anyways. So, now, as a senior, I have no intentions to go.

However, I have this acquaintance, ‘Jayne’, who dying to go the prom. Only problem is, she has no date. Because I sit behind her in class during 1st period, she would talk to me about not having a prom date. She told me of this guy, Gary, that she wanted to ask to prom but was to afraid to ask him. I knew Gary and had majority of my classes with him. In fact, we all shared 1st period together. So, I offered to help out. And so, this is where it PROMblem starts.

We only have 4 classes. I have Gary in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I have Jayne 1st and 4th. Jayne and I were in 4th period discussing whether or not Jayne should ask Gary to prom, instead of the other way around. Jayne was very hesitative and unsure. No matter how much I encourage her, she kept saying she didn’t know if it’ll be okay for a girl to ask a boy to prom. Therefore, since I couldn’t convince her, I decided to ask another acquaintance to convince Jayne. Jayne was embarrassed to tell others that she wanted to go to prom with Gary so she wouldn’t let me. However, I wanted to get my point across so I told her that I’ll just switch the story up. I asked Amie and Linda, who was sitting next to us, if it was okay if ‘I’ was to ask a boy to prom. They, of course, answered yes, but they got curious quickly and began to ask questions. They kept bugging me about who I was going to ask to prom. Of course, I had no one to ask and didn’t even want to go to prom, but class was boring and it was amusing, so I went along with the joke. Jayne and I were having a lot of fun and didn’t think about it much. Amie and Linda wanted to know what grade the boy (who they didn’t know that didn’t exist) was in. I spelled in the air 12, but they didn’t seem to understand. They then asked for the first letter of his name. Since there was no boy, I decided to spell a G for Gdragon, but then I thought it might giveaway Gary’s name. So I immediately decided to spell out Gdragon’s age, 24. However, Amie and Linda were completely lost so I decided to just give them Gary’s grade, which was 12. Just as I finish spelling out in the air a ‘1’, Linda blurted ‘Oh my gosh, you’re going to ask Chris to prom.’ They were way off I just shrugged my shoulders and they took it as confirmation.

Let me explain who Chris is. Chris is a Junior, so I have no idea why Linda thought I was going to ask Chris. But maybe it might be because Chris and I were partners for competition that we competed in recently. I have one class with Chris, which is calculus, in which I also share with Gary, Amie and Linda. I didn’t think it cause any problems at the time if I went along to with Linda’s accusations.

After school that day, I gave Gary a note telling him that Jayne wanted to go to prom with him and left him with it. The next day, Gary comes to school late and does not speak much. At the end of 1st period, Jayne built up the guts to ask him. She gives him a sticky note asking him to prom with a yes or no. He writes back to her “IDK”. He then explains that he wanted ‘more options’ and that he was wanted to ask someone else. Ouch. So darn straight forward! Of course Jayne was pretty upset but tried to just shrug it off. Now she was really dateless.

Not just that, it gets worse. Remember my little lie about Chris that I didn’t think will cause any trouble? Well, it did. Apparently, Linda was planning to as Chris to prom. I guess when she thought I was going to ask Chris, she moved on to her plan B and asked someone else. >.< So, if I lost you, basically, at this point, Jayne, who wants a date, is dateless, and me, who didn’t want to go to prom, have a potential date.

Would you kind soompiers help me with my PROMblem??

UPDATE!

So…I’ve been thinking about it lately…although I had no intentions of going to prom, I didn’t always feel this way. Honestly, it had always crossed my mind but I’d always ignored it because I knew none of my friends were interested in going. And when I say friends, I’m not talking about Jayne. I’m talking about my friends that I hang out with majority of the time. If they don’t go, who would I go with? (In terms of groups)

I want to ask Chris, but I’m feeling too guilty. I was supposed to help Jayne get a prom date in the first place, not find myself one. >.< Also, if I do go to prom, I cannot dance at all! And believe me when I say this! I am so stiff and if I go to prom, I’ll just make my date miserable. To prove so, I went to Winter Formal my Junior year with an acquaintance of mines and the whole time, all I did was sit there. Gosh, I feel so bad, but I’m not going into that story. Anyways, I feel like I’m in a big mess. I’ve been thinking about considering the idea, but what if Chris says no when I ask? I mean, afterall, he is only a junior. Why would he spend a ton of money on a prom that’s not even his? I’m scared to ask him, because I don’t know if he’ll go.

Linda and Amie are still bugging me when I’m going to ask Chris. I told them that I don’t think I’m going to ask Chris anymore and Linda told me that she would be super upset if I didn’t…she said it in jokily manner, but I think she seriously meant it, because she was planning to ask him in the first place. Not just that, I feel horrible talking about Chris and Prom in front of Jayne, because she still does not have a date.

I have the biggest guilty conscience ever. Should I go to prom? Should I ask Chris?

UPDATE!! 3/4/11

Well, at school today, Jayne told me that she has potential dates to prom. That made me feel much less guilty. If she gets a prom date, I’ll ask Chris. Strange how my point of view changed within a week. I’m seriously juggling the idea of asking Chris. Chris is great, hilarious, good looking and smart so I believe I would have a blast if I went with him. Honestly, the only reason I’m even considering prom at this point is because I would like to go to prom with him. If he says no, that’ll just give me a reason to not go to prom. >.<

UPDATE!!! 3/7/11

So, over the weekend, I talked with my sister and cousin, who were friends of Chris, about prom and if I should go to prom. After thinking about it, I’ve decided that I will ask Chris. So, I began to think about ways to ask Chris. I only get to go to prom once so I didn’t want to just go up to Chris and ask him. Sunday afternoon, I went on Facebook and wrote on my wall: “I have come to a conclusion Jayne, Amie and Linda. The day I go to prom is the day pigs fly. =]” Then, went to the store and bought 9 balloons: 8 small ones and 1 big one. I drew pigs on them and put them inside a box. (You know? So when Chris opens the box, there will be flying pigs. XD) Under the lid of the top that covered the box said “Chris, would you go to prom with me.” However, before the night even ended, the 8 small balloons couldn’t even fly anymore. So I decided to just use the one big balloon. The next morning, when I woke up, the big balloon wasn’t even flying anymore! I was bumped. Maybe pigs weren’t really going to fly.

I decided to wait until 8 to see if the dollar store by my house would be open so I could refill the balloon up with helium. So, I waited until 8, and the store wasn’t even open yet, so I went to school late for no reason. After second period, I went to the Health Center and called my dad to come pick me up, because I had a tummy ache. My dad came to pick me up from school and took me to the store. I refilled the balloon with helium and my dad took me back to school. >.< XD I put the box in another teachers room and went to my third period class, which I had with Chris. GOOD THING WE HAD A SUBSTITUTE THAT DAY! I had about 15 minutes before the bell would ring for lunch. When I got to class, Amie and Linda called me over. They asked if I had asked Chris yet, which I told them that I will when pigs fly. XD Oh, by the way, Chris’s sister, Rose, a senior, was also in the same calculus class. Using my graphing calculator, I wrote ‘If I asked your brother to prom, what will he say?’ She nodded her head, and exclaimed ‘Of course, yes’ which was comforting. :) Afterward, I walked over to Chris’s desk. I told Chris that Rose needed him to help me go get something for her at lunch. He nodded his head and agreed. So I went back to my desk to kill the rest of the time.

When the bell finally ranged, Chris and I headed over to where the box was. On the way, he decided to put his things down in this next class, which was on the way. So I went ahead to go get the box first. After grabbing the box, I waited by the door for Chris. When he came, he offered to hold the box but I told him it was light and that I would carry it. It was lunch so no one was around. He asked me what was inside and I said I didn’t know. He asked were Rose wanted us to take the box and I told him I wasn’t to sure. As he was walking in front of me, I stopped and told him to wait. I placed the box on the floor and awhile squatting, I pulled a folder paper from my back pocket and gave it to him. I told him for us to check if everything his sister wanted was inside the box. He unfolded the paper which said “The day I ask you to prom is the day pigs fly.” He read it out loud at first but mumbled the rest to himself once he got to the word ‘prom’. Awhile he was reading, I opened the box and the balloon came out. I had the balloon tied to the box so it was just flying in place. I faced the lid of the box towards him so he could read the sign that said ‘Chris, would you go to prom with me?’

Everything happened so quickly. XP I remember him saying ‘Aw June.’ For some reason, my heart leaped, because I thought he was going to say no. I then asked him if he would go to prom with me. And then, he said ‘yes’. I didn’t know what to do, so I just went in for a hug. :) Afterward, I gave him the balloon which he carried with him for the rest of the day.

The day I go to prom is the day pigs fly. I was late to first period was because I was waiting for pigs to fly. I was late to third period was because I was searching for flying pigs. I found a flying pig, so I guess its official, I’m going to prom with Chris. =]

UPDATE!!!! 3/8/11

Chris and I are so cool. We wore the same tshirt today. It was the tshirt we got from the competition we competed in last week. What a coincidence. :)

UPDATE!!!!! 3/10/11

Guest lightangel

ohh the prom drama~...lol...

I had one of those back when i was in high school.

Let's just make it simple. You don't want to go right?

So just wait until your friend gets a date. Then decide if you really want to go to prom because YOU want to go or not. Don't think about Chris because you haven't ask him yet. Then if you do decide to go then go ahead and ask him. What do you have to lose? right? You said it yourself, that he is a junior and he might not even go. So you might not even be going at all. If she doesn't get a date then you get what you want. You don't have to go.

Even though your friends might want you to ask him. Then it's their fault for being nosy and tell others that you want to ask him.

Its just too bad too sad situation. They probably not going to care that much if you don't ask because ultimately, its your choice

on whether you should go or not.

Guest juiceybox

I read the whole thing and I am so confused. :wacko:

You said your friends blurted out of nowhere that you were going to ask Chris to prom even though you had no intentions of asking.

At the end said you said you didn't really feel like going to prom anyway. But then you went to say that you would only go if Chris agreed to go.

From what I've read and understood, I am going to say, if you don't want to go to prom, don't go.

Also for your friend, Jayne and the guy she wanted to go to prom with.. Don't feel bad because you "ruined the plan."

Maybe Gary already had someone else in mind as his prom date.

If all else fails, just go to prom as a group of friends? :P

Guest Lavendere

what happens if you get jayne and chris to go together?

give a quick introduction to them if you they don't know each other

Ditch them when it's just the three of you together and leave them two talking

Then plan what you were gonna plan with gary but this time do it on chris.

Guest electricwingsx

Since Jayne is dateless, and your not sure if your wanting to go, why not ask Chris if hes willing to go to prom with Jayne? Or you girls can always go together!

Guest duckbutt'

First of all, not being able to dance is NOT reason to not go to prom. My best friend is the perfect example at this. I love her to death, and I don't give a crap how she dances as long as she does, but she says she just doesn't like it and feels awkward. But nonetheless, she's still going to prom. And if I have to make her dance, I will, even though I know she might not really dance. I tell her all the time, no one cares about the way you dance, they're all to busy dancing themselves!

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I'm assuming your a senior? And Prom is like the last memory you'll have so why not go?

As for your problem...hmmm. When in doubt, always tell the truth. If Chris ends up asking you about it, tell him the truth. It was all a big misunderstanding, BUT if you do decide that "hey, it wouldnt hurt to go to prom with this guy" then tell him all the truth, but initiate that it wouldnt be a bad idea if you two went. And if he agrees, thennnn I guess you'll have a date to prom?

Personally, I'm not bothering with a date, but if the right person asks, I'm down. But...I don't think you need a date for prom for it to be fun :\

Guest PUNKYjunk

Ouch! So sorry to hear about your pickle.

My group never had any drama until Prom. Heh, it was about dates as well. Although I can't offer a solution - because I'm horrible at advice - I definitely know where you come from. I hope someone from Soompi will be able to help you.

About your dancing, even if you are stiff I think your prom date will be okay with it as long as you dance. I know a friend who sat for majority of the prom because she felt awkward dancing. Heck, I do too, but her prom date really wanted to dance. I got her to dance by going on the dancefloor with her and her date. I kind of feel bad cause I was like a third wheel, aha, but her date is a close friend of mines so he didn't mind. He was just glad to be able to dance with her. :)

Guest nana544

Don't make it so complicated on yourself. Simply put, you don't want to go to prom and Jayne wants to go to prom with a date. Ask Chris to see if he's willing to be Jayne's date for prom. Or you two can be each others date for prom(It'll be fun...it doesn't have to be with boys) then tell Jayne that it is okay to go to prom without a boy date. Not to be rude, but it sounds like Jayne is so desperately wants a date to prom(I know because I been though a similar situation) So, at the end, if you do not want to go then let Jayne and your friends know. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...you are over thinking this too much.

Guest BaEkKyOuNg_LoVeR

haha sounds like my high school years. this is incident is very similar to mind back in high school. the only thing i can suggest is, if you have a date to prom just go because there are other things to do besides dancing. half the time you'll be awing your friends and taking photos. another, stop trying to make everyone around you happy. in the end, someone is going to get hurt and most likely it will be you. if your friend jayne wants a date, she still have time to find one. i know you want to be a good friend and help her. however, instead of helping her find a date, just give her encouraging words and tell her to be optimistic about it. not finding a date to prom isn't the end of the world, half the time during prom you'll ditch your date and hang out with your group of friend reminiscing about your early high school year. plus, there will be some dateless guys at prom that she can be with and have a slow dance with. really, all you can do is calm her down and tell her just make the best of it if she doesn't have a date. go as a group, you'll have a better time than being with your date because it is less stress and more fun filled memories.

^ haha, I can assure you Gary does not want to ask me. He ended up asking his ex-girlfriend. >.<

Anyways, thanks to everyone's feedback. I thought about it and decided to go to prom as you probably would've read from the updates in the first post. :) Anyways, my PROMblem isn't exactly solved yet. Jayne still is dateless so I don't really want to talk about me having a date. I'm still feeling guilty. Plus, I may have a date now, but I don't have a group of friends to go with. I can either go with Jayne or Amie and Linda.

With Jayne, I think her and her group of friends are planning to get a limo. >.< I definitely cannot afford that. I'm pushing my limits by going to prom in the first place. Besides, I don't think I'll be comfortable to hang with Jayne's friends. I'm not as girly as they are...>.<

As for Amie and Linda, I wouldn't mind going with them, but I'm not sure if Chris will feel weird because his sister will be there too. IDK if they will because they seem quite close, but IDK.

Really, I wish my friends would go. But they still won't. Any suggestions on how I can change my friends minds?

Tell your friends it is a once in a life time opportunity. Perhaps the second most over-the-top, glamorous days after their wedding! Plus, it'd be a fun thing to do before you have to knuckle down and do work for school and will definitely generate awesome memories for the future. : D

omgggg girrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllll! calm your t*ts! lol XD I'm a senior too. Everyone's excited about it, and they're all like, "You have to go to prom! It's your senior year!" And I'm the kind of person that doesn't really like to be in places with a lot of people, and I especially don't like dances because I don't dance. That's just me. You might be different. But one thing's for sure. Prom is not worth all that drama. I'm just gonna tell my parents I'm going and then I'm gonna ditch it with someone close and have a night of doing some crazy, fun things (that aren't reckless or illegal). :D OH! You should just ditch prom with your date. :)

btw the pig thing was really cute XD

Archived