How I work on my abilities/skills

delete30

I feel like an alien. Is the anyone who feels the same?
I'm wondering about something. Is someone in the same situation, does someone do the same.

What do you think? Do you think that I am just extremely determined/passionate or is too much hardcore xD.

> Here is the story...

No one other than me (and God :D) knows how much I want to archieve this dream. (> To became a singer in the Asian Music Industry)

Most people know that I do sing. My Parents do know it too. They also know that I'm auditioning.

But nothing more.

To achieve my dream, I started to do many things such as learning Korean, Dancing, working out.

Everyone knows what I do, but they don't know why I'm doing this, why I'm learning korean, why I'm dancing, taking singing lessons and working out.

I don't know what to say, when people ask me why I am learning korean. I just say that I want to study there (which might happen for a semester or so on, but actually it's not the reason why I'm learning this language)

Some people say, you don't even start to learn korean when you want to became a celebrity there or so on, thats why I don't tell anyone the truth. I know that they the most of them would think that I must have gone crazy. Especially to Koreans, I would never tell the truth. Even now they just say "It would be a better choice to study in Germany, because the system here is much easier and the education is more valued."

(I am not german(was born here) but to tell you the truth the only thing I like about germany is the education system, its not really hard(compared to other countries) and the education is really more valued than in many other countries.

When I tell you now that I often study Korean for hours. In holidays I do start at 2pm or something(make some breaks) and learn into the night until 5-8am. Although I am learning on weekends for a really long time to. I take an exercise book, when I go out. Work on it when I am at school/on buses/ trains and so on. My mom once saw that I was studying until the next morning, for a few days xD and she told me that I'm sick, I've gone crazy, but to me it is passion. I feel amazingly great while learning. I have too much fun. But even If I'm really tired (like just 5% energy) like today. I don't skip classes, so take the singing lessons. People are also wondering why I have chosen a Vocal Coach for whom I have to travel for almost 2 hours and 50 miles.

I'm just too much afraid not to archive this goal. That I might regret It that I didn't do enough to reach it.

Well, at the beginning I wanted to try it in the Japanese Industry but now I don't have any other options since I couldn't find any addresses from Japanese companies, and since I am not interested in the German MI.

The other thing is, that the Korean and Jp language sound like music in my ears. When you read the upper part u will see how much value music to me has.

Well maybe you can say this all sounds super crazy. But music is something I cant live without, just the same with food and water and all the stuff we naturally need.

I wondered and I am often wondering, why I am being like this. I think "try to give it up and see how it feels". But I can't. I tried to focus on other things like designing, photography, sports, just go out with friends. But nothing gives me the feeling which music does.( Lets say it is music, but actually its singing )

( P.S There are some other things which I didn't tip, just to keep this short. )

I think it's great that you're so dedicated. I'd dreamed of doing the same thing as you, but never had the motivation to actually work towards it. Probably 'cause I was so scared.

Just don't sacrifice your health. Make sure and get enough sleep (it's important, ya know!).

And even if others think you're crazy, just brush it off. I know what it's like to hide what you truly want to do and it sucks. When people ask me why I love Asia so much, I just shrug it off and say, "I dunno. I just do" when in reality I've never felt a pull to anything else like I have Asia. I love the cultures, the languages, the music, the people...My love for it is definitely out of this world. I'll never give it up.

I believe you can do it! You wouldn't be working that hard if you weren't seriously dedicated. Don't be afraid to tell people your dreams. You never know who might be able to help you or think that it's totally awesome.

Guest kimmmmy

Yup, I do feel like an alien. I'm like the black sheep of my family honestly. My family, my mom's side whom I'm close to are all...you could say weird, but conservative? If that makes any sense. Of course, here I am, I'm the one that dreams wildly. I want to perform on stage, sing, dance. YES! I do want to do that all in Korea. I am currently trying to learn, but it's a struggle. I'm working on my studies right now because I feel that if I got really really good grades,  then my parents would maybe approve of me going to audition and such. The closest thing I had to auditioning was the MBC online youtube audition. That's all. I won't give up though. Like, you I refuse to. I can't bring myself to it. I think of becoming a doctor like my parents say, but I can't see myself actually doing that. My parents say they would be happy with whatever I do, but I know, I see it in their eyes that they want me to become a doctor. When they talk about jobs, the first thing that comes out of their mouth is a doctor. I know they would be truly happy if I was a doctor. However, I know they would still support my decisions. However, going all the way to Korea? Staying there without them? Very very slim chance. My dad rarely lets me go out. He won't even let me go onto a summer program where I sleep at a community college for TWO WEEKS. So, what makes me thing that they'll let me move all the way across the county? Although I know this, I still dream, I still try. Honestly, I'm HAPPY with my body. Although I may be overweight. However, I know in Korea, I'll be obese. So, I think about my future, I have to loose weight if I want to fufill my dream. It's hard, but we will both keep working on it yes? 

Now, you just heard the story of my life. [x 

Guest starzXshinee

To morgansunshine and kimmmmy, it is unfortunate for all of us to feel this way I guess /:

I always wanted to be in the music industry . Preferably in Japan, but I really would not mind debuting in the US . I was really uninterested in K-Pop. I only liked a few songs.

But something happened two years ago [really cheesy story] that made me want to debut as a K-Pop singer. I really want to be signed under YG, but after much thinking, and company will do as long as I accomplish my goal~

My parents really want me to study in the medical fields though. I am their 'last hope' child. My brother is very intelligent but he is just as lazy. He is 21 and still living with my parents and feeding off their money.

My sister, never smart but passionate about singing and make-up. She has a lot of connections in the Hip-Hop/ R&B industry but my parents [typical asian racists] do not approve of that. So they unwillingly let her kick start her career in make-up . She is doing well on YouTube but has trouble finding a job in real life.

I have decent grades. Mostly A average. I am a fast learner and very passionate with the things I enjoy. But the things I enjoy are what my parents hate. Now they are relying on me to give my family a good rep.

They do not support me on becoming an entertainer AT ALL. My dad, upon hearing my practicing and warm ups, always tells me to be quiet and lecture me about how disappointed he is in me for doing silly things and not study .

It pains me, but I do not want to let them get in the way of my dream.

Sorry for this long post .

Keep on fighting ! (:

First off, thanks for all your anwears. It made me feel better.

@chelseyfosho Thanks, I love to read you comment over and over again ^^.. haha...

I know, if I wouldn't need sleep, I probably wouldn't sleep. But I do, since we need sleep to gain energy and since our brain needs it to work out, everything what we learned during the day.

@kimmmmy

my parents are actually the same. They were really strict. Especially my mom. We didn't have much kids in our region and I wasn't even allowed to meet the very few neighbor kids, when I was really young. Even when I became a teenage I wasn't allowed to go everywhere. Even though they were my parents, I fought for my freedom. It was really hard and took me a few years, but I handled it somehow.

My dad hates my passion, he always asks me to stop. I even remember his words from 8 years ago, he was blaming me he was angry to me and said that I couldn't sing, that I didn't have talents, that I should just leave it, that they were lots of people who were better than me. He asked me if I wanted to become like "Britneys Spears". And of course it hurted me a lot, how could he say that to a child who wasn't even a teenager.

Well, someday he saw me singing on a stage, since then I became nicer, but not nice enough. He just doesn't like it, and a while ago he asked me to teach him how to play guitar haha. He said that he always wanted to make music somehow, but he didn't have the opportunity to do so. That situation reminds me to that sentence, which I found here on soompi

"Don't ever let somebody tell you, you can't to something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period"

Well, my mother is okay with my passion now, she just thinks that I'm overdoing it.

I feel really weak, when it comes to protecting myself. I dont find the right words, I can't argument with people and I have problems with communicating with others, and also mostly I dont know how to be egoistic, I easily feel sorry for others thats why I often do get hurt. (cuz I grew up staying at home, like i said)

My brother has that all, hes amazing and I'm envious about that, so I told him what I thought and he told me that everyone has his talents. He said "that my talent is singing, making music" but that doesn't help me much, it doesn't make me survive and help me to protect myself from others. At the time I can use it only for myself, as a hobby. But actually I would do everything to become a singer.

So my bother hates when I he hears me singing, but he says hes envious and would like to have that too XD. Pretty antithetic isn't it?

Plus, We live in a house with the whole family that means, aunts, cousin and so on. And even If I go to into the cellar they hear me 4 floors upper than me. The walls are actually really thick, but my vocal chords seem to be thicker haha.

However, most of them are complaining about the noises, which make me have an extra pressure on me. But what should I do?

@starzXshinee

Just do what you want to do, because you will regret it when don't. You can't live like others want you to live. Maybe you can do both at once? study and following your dream.

Its the same with me, eveyone wants me to do what others are doing, just going to school and study something. Be hedged and make money but I am aware that I would totally regret just doing that.

waah sorry this is sooo long O.o"

Guest starzXshinee

It is easier said than done. I am still fighting for being in the Korean entertainment business. My parents will not let me get a job = I cannot pay for my plane ticket if I ever do pass the second or first round. My parents have the money to pay for my flight, money is not an issue for my family, but because they have the money, they get to control whether I get to go to Korea or not.

If I cannot be an entertainer, then I want to be apart of the fashion industry or a teacher. . . my parents do not approve of either of those choices so they will not pay for my college tuition if I go to a fashion school or I go to a university and major as some sort of teacher.

I am not letting my parents control my life, but without them, I cannot continue my dream . . . /:

"Don't ever let somebody tell you, you can't to something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period"

this is from the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" starring Will Smith. :)

(yes its purposely with a y instead of an i lol xD)

well, the reason why our parents tell us not to follow our dreams is because they dont want to see us fail - meaning, they dont want to see us crash and fall.

they want to see us succeed in our lives...

to fulfill our dreams, its part effort, part fate, and part luck.

but sometimes, we're just not destined for a certain path or road.

i think that you should never give up chasing your dream because we dont want to settle for less, right?

but just try to keep your eyes open to the other opportunities around you.

sometimes when we get so focused on something, we develop tunnel vision... and we forget to look at the great stuff happening around us.

i hope that while finding your path in life, you won't forget to live life to the fullest... and live everyday to its best extent.

i think the amount of effort you give to the world is the same as the amount that the world rewards us with.

your dedication is admirable.. so just be hopeful. one day, the world WILL give back to you. no doubt. :)

but as your moving forward... dont forget to look back.

i hope you reach you dreams :D

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

@MorganShine: have you considered a backup plan or a "Plan B" so to speak in case somehow you cannot attain the dream to become a Kpop Idol in Korea? I'm just wondering because even I have a Plan B in case I can't make it in this industry. Just so you know you are not alone but also try to be realistic about how you will attain this dream. For me I gave up my dream to become a Kpop singer about a year ago because now that I am 26 years old, so I am far past my prime to even be considered as a trainee for most of the Kpop entertainment companies...So I have decided to become maybe a vocal coach or maybe a Vocal Tech since I have too much passion in singing.

Guest korniceman3000

While it may be nice to focus on learning Korean, I don't feel it should have greater importance over becoming a better singer and improving vocal technique. As long as you progress and have solid vocal ability, the language of your music shouldn't be an issue at all. In my opinion, the Kpop industry is EXTREMELY limited and trend based, often placing all their efforts and opportunities on very young "potential idols" that need A LOT OF TRAINING over older more experienced performers and also with very little regard for music itself. Though there are many good ballad singers and performers, most don't make it very far when competing against idol groups and other image based acts (whose commercial value often plummets after 3-4 years). Their primary objective has always been about visualization (via dancing) and image over actual substance and the industry itself capitalizes upon this appeal to sell singles and gain revenue via endorsements, advertisements, commercials, and tv appearances rather than the actual music itself. Music and vocals will always supersede any language and age barrier and any music industry that defines it's music solely based upon age will only limit itself in the longterm. Personally, I would focus more on building impressive vocals rather than preparations for the industry destination of your choice.....

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

While it may be nice to focus on learning Korean, I don't feel it should have greater importance over becoming a better singer and improving vocal technique. As long as you progress and have solid vocal ability, the language of your music shouldn't be an issue at all. In my opinion, the Kpop industry is EXTREMELY limited and trend based, often placing all their efforts and opportunities on very young "potential idols" that need A LOT OF TRAINING over older more experienced performers and also with very little regard for music itself. Though there are many good ballad singers and performers, most don't make it very far when competing against idol groups and other image based acts (whose commercial value often plummets after 3-4 years). Their primary objective has always been about visualization (via dancing) and image over actual substance and the industry itself capitalizes upon this appeal to sell singles and gain revenue via endorsements, advertisements, commercials, and tv appearances rather than the actual music itself. Music and vocals will always supersede any language and age barrier and any music industry that defines it's music solely based upon age will only limit itself in the longterm. Personally, I would focus more on building impressive vocals rather than preparations for the industry destination of your choice.....

^ Well said :D

@MorganShine: have you considered a backup plan or a "Plan B" so to speak in case somehow you cannot attain the dream to become a Kpop Idol in Korea? I'm just wondering because even I have a Plan B in case I can't make it in this industry. Just so you know you are not alone but also try to be realistic about how you will attain this dream. For me I gave up my dream to become a Kpop singer about a year ago because now that I am 26 years old, so I am far past my prime to even be considered as a trainee for most of the Kpop entertainment companies...So I have decided to become maybe a vocal coach or maybe a Vocal Tech since I have too much passion in singing.

Of course I have. I also have other plans than auditioning just in Korea. I'm just focusing more on Korean since

1. I have more opportunities to do so

2. Since I'm only interested in the Asian Industry ( also If I would make it in my own country, Turkey. I would try to switch over to over to my actual dream. When I would make it in Turkey then I would have more advantages since I would have more support and experiences ) (I'm just waiting for the next auditions)

I have decided to become maybe a vocal coach or maybe a Vocal Tech since I have too much passion in singing.

I already considered that I even thought about studying music/singing, but I'm not interested into teaching others.

I think quiet detailed so I've made many plans, only in the future I'll get to know which path I'll take at the end.

@korniceman3000

Although All you said is true. But I'm okay with it.

Personally, I would focus more on building impressive vocals rather than preparations for the industry destination of your choice....

That always comes from people who don't understand my passion ^__^. But the Industry is that what makes me so passionate. People here in germany do not take music serious. Its just Music. In Korea and Japan, people live with Music. They are passionate. Not only the audience but also the singers. The singers have so many opportunities to be active. To stay on big stages to even stay weekly/daily on stage. The CD's, Pictures, Posters, the whole package is considered. The stages get well designed, they work with effects and they just try out. There are so much other reasons.

It's not only about becoming a singer, but an Artist. Working on well designed stages, and releasing amazingly designed CDs, posters, concert items and so on, thats Art. Not only that but language is art too. They way it sounds and feels.

I already said Its the language, every language gives the Music a different feeling.

Not only for the listener but also for the singer. I thought it was only because of the songs, but I've already performed english versions of asian songs. I performed and sung both. And the difference is indescribable.

other ex. Singing songs in english makes me feel better, even though I'm more confident with the german lanuage. Its not that I hate the german language, it actually sounds beautiful to me. But music doesn't suit german lyrics and I always felt like this.

P.S Focusing on the Music Industry on choice, doesn't hinder me focusing on my vocal skills :D.

Guest korniceman3000

^ Trust me... I understand your passion far more than you realize (^__^). I've been in this game for almost 8 years. From what you are describing about the performance stages, posters, etc. are all imagery and superficial surface values that should be wiped clean from your mind. Your core concentration should not be about these factors and should concentrate solely upon finding a means to break in and honing your performance skills to a peak. Passion for the music and for singing should not relate to a visual factor or fancy stages but be about your commitment to the skill itself. That should be your driving motivation (to improve your abilities and your greatest attributes) and not the glamor or the surrounding hype that comes along. Language should also not hinder your performance or selectivity. The key is singing the type of music you feel most confident about and as what Paula Abdul would say: "Making that song your own".

Right now, it seems that your inspiration and passion for performance is more motivated by the "idol image conception" in which you see as passion rather than a genuine love of performing and singing. I certainly don't believe that the music in Germany is any less passionate than in Japan or Korea. Maybe they might not have the same obsession with idol fanfare but their love for music isn't any less. Rock am ring and Rock im Park are two perfect examples as well as the Wacken Open Air Festival. The audiences are just as explosive and react just as fervently to the music as any mega concert in the US or Asia even if the stage is just a raised wooden plank with no lights and the background is nothing more than a large curtain drop cloth with the name of the band. Why? Because the audience is excited about the music. Besides, what you see as singers having many opportunities to be active in Korea and Japan is revolves around the same artists from the same group of record labels day in/day out. Career opportunities are not as expansive as you might imagine. In Japan, it's even more difficult. Many smaller bands/artists/singers finance their own path as an artist and have to actually pay many performance venues/concert halls in order to hold a concert/rally, etc.

Your passion for music and singing shouldn't be limited to the "idol concept" and large scale, big budget hype that surrounds their industry but be more grounded in searching for a means to enter the industry, know the sorts of contracts, paperwork, and people you may have to deal with, the pitfalls/problems/dangers/predators/swindlers that come along with being a new artist with no experience, your personal managing skills, and all the basic groundwork that comes along with developing your career much more than the publicized imagery promoted by your favorite performers. Regardless of whether you are singing for 20,000 people or 20 strangers, your passion for performing should still remain the same.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

^ Trust me... I understand your passion far more than you realize (^__^). I've been in this game for almost 8 years. From what you are describing about the performance stages, posters, etc. are all imagery and superficial surface values that should be wiped clean from your mind. Your core concentration should not be about these factors and should concentrate solely upon finding a means to break in and honing your performance skills to a peak. Passion for the music and for singing should not relate to a visual factor or fancy stages but be about your commitment to the skill itself. That should be your driving motivation (to improve your abilities and your greatest attributes) and not the glamor or the surrounding hype that comes along. Language should also not hinder your performance or selectivity. The key is singing the type of music you feel most confident about and as what Paula Abdul would say: "Making that song your own".

Right now, it seems that your inspiration and passion for performance is more motivated by the "idol image conception" in which you see as passion rather than a genuine love of performing and singing. I certainly don't believe that the music in Germany is any less passionate than in Japan or Korea. Maybe they might not have the same obsession with idol fanfare but their love for music isn't any less. Rock am ring and Rock im Park are two perfect examples as well as the Wacken Open Air Festival. The audiences are just as explosive and react just as fervently to the music as any mega concert in the US or Asia even if the stage is just a raised wooden plank with no lights and the background is nothing more than a large curtain drop cloth with the name of the band. Why? Because the audience is excited about the music. Besides, what you see as singers having many opportunities to be active in Korea and Japan is revolves around the same artists from the same group of record labels day in/day out. Career opportunities are not as expansive as you might imagine. In Japan, it's even more difficult. Many smaller bands/artists/singers finance their own path as an artist and have to actually pay many performance venues/concert halls in order to hold a concert/rally, etc.

Your passion for music and singing shouldn't be limited to the "idol concept" and large scale, big budget hype that surrounds their industry but be more grounded in searching for a means to enter the industry, know the sorts of contracts, paperwork, and people you may have to deal with, the pitfalls/problems/dangers/predators/swindlers that come along with being a new artist with no experience, your personal managing skills, and all the basic groundwork that comes along with developing your career much more than the publicized imagery promoted by your favorite performers. Regardless of whether you are singing for 20,000 people or 20 strangers, your passion for performing should still remain the same.

^ I agree with everything you said Kornimceman ^_^

@MorganShine: You should realize that becoming a singer has nothing to do with becoming an Idol. Maybe that's what your dream is, but you are only limiting yourself when trying to break into the industry...If you are truly passionate about singing and performing, then any outlet of performance (may it be through youtube, an open mike at a bar, or for a charity event) anything that gets you exposed, should be enough for you to get into this type of business.

No offense but though your dreams are quite passionate and strong, it seems to and sounds like, it is leaning towards a superficial, shallow type of conclusion. If you are only trying to do this because you want to be famous then you really need to reevaluate your goals, inner fortitude and who you really want to be. Because right now, it sounds like you are doing this for only shallow intentions.

^ I agree with everything you said Kornimceman ^_^

@MorganShine: You should realize that becoming a singer has nothing to do with becoming an Idol. Maybe that's what your dream is, but you are only limiting yourself when trying to break into the industry...If you are truly passionate about singing and performing, then any outlet of performance (may it be through youtube, an open mike at a bar, or for a charity event) anything that gets you exposed, should be enough for you to get into this type of business.

No offense but though your dreams are quite passionate and strong, it seems to and sounds like, it is leaning towards a superficial, shallow type of conclusion. If you are only trying to do this because you want to be famous then you really need to reevaluate your goals, inner fortitude and who you really want to be. Because right now, it sounds like you are doing this for only shallow intentions.

I didn't want to express it that way. English is not my native tougne, so I think maybe I might express myself a little clumsy. My passion is not about becoming an Idol. Otherwise the whole years of hard work and the money would be such a waste (I am only able to pay for the lessons and the tickets, so I am not able to buy anything else for myself)

yeah I've been into this for since over 8 years too.

The thing about performing in front of 40 or 20 000 is a something which should everyone decide on him/herself. I love it to perform no matter if it's for a friends birthday or on the street. But everyone wants to grow.

I love to do what I do. But its more exciting to share it with people and It makes a huge difference how you share that.

The dream of every singer is to grow, to get listened and to inspire others in many ways.

Making that song your own

> actually means don't try to sound like the original, try to sing it on your own way. Make the song unique. Because the original already exists >we dont need a copy" (and we know how the original sounds, so instead to listening to the cover version we could listen to the original version.)

(> thats right, on the other it's about singing the song in the most comfortable way too.)

Thats a common problem during auditions.There are so many Audition Videos where the Judges say "You sound like her, thats amazing, but try to find your own style, cuz that voice exists already, we know how it sounds"(and so). And thats also often a reason why people get eliminated during auditions too.

Its something I experienced that problem on my own.

and Believe the german music industry is a joke. As an Artist I want to have to do something. I want to work with my passion as much as I can. But you dont get the opportunity to perform here. People do permanent playbacks.

Rock am Ring is a Rock festival which is held once in a year. People like and hate the same, if you like something different then you get blamed and mobbed about that. Thats why people here mostly stream with the main popularity.

And Rock am Ring is disguising, its not passion, its about making yourself drunk. Google for Pictures when you don't believe. It the same with the other rock festivals. (I have many friends who go there, and they show me pictures and tell me crazy stuff)

Although there are only a few Rock festival. And there are like 2 shows for general music which are only held 2 times a year. Comet/The Dome.

For a long time I looked around for musicians to work with. Two times I handed out about 300-400 flyers, I visited countless bands and musicians. I've made so many announces on the Internet. Over the years I did that several times, even a little while ago. But its amazingly hard to find anyone to work with. The teachers I've worked with knew about my situation, and they always warned me about that, cuz they experienced the same. A reason why I started to play instruments.

Most people are doing metal and punk stuff. Its hard to find festivals which are for general musicians. I've even sung in several rock bands. I know what I'm talking about, and germany doesn't knows anything about writing music and production. Thats why the majority is listening to American Music. Its hard to reconstruct unless u experienced it on your own.

@language thing

Its not only me, but the germans themselves. Most of them don't make music in german but in english. I've worked with several bands and singers and most of them where strict with their opinion (about singing/writing songs in german.) And many german singers switch over to singing english songs. There only rock band and rappers who produce german music (less other musicians).

Guest amandalil

LOL..same..I've started learning korean since 1 and half years ago..and then I've been learning dancing for 4 years already.. I don't take singing lessons though..but I do practice..hehehe..and I travel to Korea for auditions too =D of course I signed up for gym to work out ^^ good job girl

Guest korniceman3000

LOL! Morgansunshine, you seem to be an ultra-idealistic version of my younger self many years ago, someone who always thinks the grass is greener on the other side. I know exactly how you are seeing things because I used to do the same things myself so believe me when I say I know exactly what you are going through. I was a former civil engineer with a masters degree in engineering when I suddenly had a calling and decided to go into music. You can only imagine the difficulties I would soon encounter.

Your footing hasn't even been firmly set and you are already racing way ahead of yourself before even taking the next step properly. I more than understand that it is every singer's dream to grow and spread their music to large crowds and hold elaborate concerts with huge fanfare and blockbuster entertainment value but you have to remain grounded first. You haven't even started a career as a singer yet so all these thoughts you have should be set aside until later. Your primary concern should be to focus on getting your music heard by people and exploring for opportunities to showcase your talent. The primary goal is to get your foot in the door first.

LOL! I completely understand how difficult it is to assemble a band. Many bands and musicians already have a network of people they know, are friends with, and trust so very few will be willing to work with people they don't know who may/may not be reliable. Also, many musicians and bands write/perform their own music so unless your voice fits the style they are seeking for a vocalist position, the chances of them willing to work with you is relatively small. Even if they agree to allow you to sing, your position in the band will practically give you zero creative influence and you will feel miserable and isolated unless you can find people with whom you have great chemistry with. Randomly handing out flyers and posting ads on local webpages might help but the responses are usually not very good.

If you can't find a band to write you music and work with you, the chances are you will have to compose and create your own instrumentals by yourself. It will mean extra time and effort on your own part but it is well worth the learning experience. There are tons of software available in the market for home musicians and everyone can assemble their own home recording studio. It may take a little time and practice but self reliance is usually the best answer to solve your musical problems.

A friend of mine told me a while back that you start with baby steps. Unless you have extreme miraculous luck and manage to jump from complete unknown into the big leagues as a signed recording artist, you have to start on a very small scale (something you can manage on your own). Even if you do make that gigantic step, you still have to earn your keep as the industry will make you feel like a very small fish in a vast ocean of sharks. You are much too focused on the type of music you want to do when you should be working on every opportunity you can find. Sure, punk and metal might not be your style or what you like but if there are opportunities and openings that will allow you to squeeze in your skills and someone is willing to give you a shot, then go for it. Your only objective should be to find a way in and get your foot in the door first. It doesn't matter if it's an internship, a desk job, as someones music arranger, part time composer, remixer, instrumentalist, back up singer, lyricist, audio engineer, etc. you take it if it allows to gain access into the music industry. It's all about adapting and not what you want to do. Once you get your foot in the door and establish yourself and gain the trust and confidence of people you work with or others in the industry, you will have a much easier time asserting your creative demands upon them.

I do metalcore/thrash/hard-rock by trade but these types of opportunities are limited in my region. In order to break through and gain any sort of ground, I had to adapt and change my entire collective musical style to fit whatever would get me anything. That meant switching the way I composed music to pop/dance/ballad/urban/hip-hop/Latin/classical/world/orchestral and even Kpop. The bottom line is you do whatever kind of music and whatever sort of gig it takes to get yourself into the music industry. If it means not performing/singing and working behind the scenes as a set designer or changing into writing jingles, advertisements, music publishing, building beats, etc. in order to receive an opportunity, take it! It's only temporary... Once you get inside, then you will have more freedom to move around and pursue whatever your dreams may be.

Learn anything and everything you can and do not limit yourself to the style of your choice (even if you hate metal or punk, if there are openings, go for it as any opportunity is rare). Enhance your knowledge and details about the industry and how it works, how music is created (top to bottom from pre-production to final distribution). Educate yourself about musical copyrights, entertainment law, and how contracts within the industry work, what you are entitled to, royalties, accounting, management etc. The more you know, the better...

Most importantly: Don't get ahead of yourself... Slow and steady wins the race...

Guest something-like

but why not debut somewhere else, why MUST it be the asian industry? See that's the part where I think you're still deluded by the idea of becoming an idol in Korea and being recognized and all that. Basically what korniceman said above me says a lot. Also consider the fact you're not asian. Now also consider how many OTHER non-asians (whites, since it's most relevant in your scenario) have auditioned before. And how many have debuted and become successful? ZERO. So if you're not superb in singing or dancing...like i mean star quality, then get your richard simmons working on it if you really have the passion, because being white is already a huge minus.

And to me, you're still sounding like a ton of mere 'fans' with a BIT more passion, to give you a bit of credit. But if you're just limiting yourself to Asia...then I question your 'passion' for music

Guest amandalil

Oh I really agree with what korniceman and something-like said..Don't become a singer in Korea just because u like the music...and yes..they give chances to mostly Korean or Chinese =D to be precise. cuz I've went for audition at JYP and SM Entertainment for few times already...and I was once selected for Top 4 auditionees of the week in SM. Hmm.

Seriously, open other doors...try other entertainment industries. I've stayed in Korea before..there are so many talented and good looking ppl. Seriously, it seems like all the ppl on the street can sing and dance. So, u must think...why would they choose others when there are tons of talented ppl in Korea.

I would suggest u to try every entertainment industries if u really wanna become a singer. U see..Korea is trying to break into the Asian + Western industries because they couldn't rely on Korea's music industry alone. I'm from Malaysia...and my friend was selected to become a singer by a China + Japanese company~~though his singing is not good but superb dancing and good look.

My experience tells me that...is either u have extra ordinary "look" or u have superb talent in order to become a singer...oh ya...not to forget "connection".

Guest jeffpneri340

Everyone!

We really just need to pursue are dreams may it be hard. Including myself i have problems in my future. I lready 22 and i know at that age it is hard for me to go into the entertainment industry in Japan or in Korea but i will still do what ever i can do so that i could reach my dream.

My mother doesn't want me to be in entertainment industry because it is a long shot. Somewhat unsure for a future but i still believe i can do it.

Just belive in yourself and never forget to reach for your dreams. Never give up! I'm sure we all can help each other. For sure i can help any one here and with that we can reach our dreams.

Also being yourself when doing your things makes you better in what you can do!

• 1 month later...
Guest headphones12

I see stories of lots of people here, and I do understand.

We all want to say one thing: To continue on pursuing our dreams.

Well, it's my dream,too, to become a singer. A kpop singer, perhaps. And, believe me- I want to be as hardworking as you are. I'm only 13, but I feel like I need to do something now. It won't do me any good if I don't start now. Well, of course, I am also hindered by a lot of things- and that includes being rejected by the public.

So, what is my advice? :)

I think we should work hard up to the 101% level. Shrug it off if people let you down. If you think you're looking like a fool, remember your dream. Well, competition might be fierce, but we all know that if we have the courage and the perseverance to stand up and do it, we can do it. Don't ever give up on your dream.

And, prepare Plan B. If you can't be a singer in Korea or something, at least be a singer in Cafes and stuff,etc. Well, we're not going to succeed all the time, but we do need something to "expose" us in order to gain experience. If we do fail, we need to go back to the start and try again.

Goodluck to all of us! FIGHTING~~ :D

Archived