[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

@mhugh - thank you for the recap. That was quick. I can dash out to do other stuffs now. LOL.

At least Da-mo learns a few thing from dating Sa-ran (by this I mean her clever communication skill)

"SM 'Enjoy when someone else buys you a meal once in a while.'

DM 'If you had told me earlier that you were going to buy, I would’ve enjoyed the meal more.'"

@mhugh

how does grandfather figure out about sr? the only one who knows that sr's her dad's biological child is her dad and mom and mom is dead and dad might just intend to take it to his grave. Does grandfather hire a private investigator?

In the earlier episode where RaRa's friends came over and they played some games with the grandparents. Afterward, the grandmother/grandfather mentioned that SaRan looks like the grandmother when she was young. One of them questioned why their biological granddaughter (RaRa) doesn't look like them but someone's else daughter does. This may trigger the grandfather about SaRa as a possibility.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dramaok

looks like the person trailing SR & DM is sent by the stepmom again.

oh yup you're right. thx. and good eye.

i think while DM is well meaning in wanting his father to appreciate his mom more than his obsession & love for Andre ... i think his efforts are futile and makes life all the more difficult for his mom. some people are just content and happy to live that way. he should just let things be instead of spending so much energy  lashing out at his dad & mom's lifestyle and going around being an richard simmons. he could have just gotten married and show his dad the way things should be done. probably more effective that way. :w00t:

i am totally with you on this one. whatever treatment Ra Ri gets, she's brought it upon herself. you have to train men like dogs. she's content as the door mat and why change her bliss, however misguided and ignorant it may seem to another. Damo needs to worry about himself instead, instead of meddling w/ his parents relationship. I know Saran means well but she should probably leave his parents marital status to them too.

Okay my imagination, like most of the characters in the show, is running a bit wild now but did Ra Ra out Da Mo to his father or did I misunderstand the scene and the subsequent scenes that followed (i.e., Da Mo in drag with Sa Ran's hair clip - utterly revolting man in drag if I may say)?

i'm a little traumatized by this Damo look. i am not even sure how to describe it. it's childish but funny but offensive and a little bit interesting too. it's very nutty. this drama is nutty. but it's so funny too. it's unique.

The grandfather finally figures out that it might be Sa-ran who is his granddaughter.

this is what i really want to see happen. for a kin to recognize a kin. i know it's far-fetched,

but i think there's something romantic about the whole idea.

and the 'fantasy' scene w/ Damo and Saran in the preview, of "was it good (for you)" is really suggestive.

another big o tease i'm sure. maybe Andre dreamed of it this time.

I'm very disappointed in the conduct of lady manager of the gisaeng house.  Her outward appearance may be elegant and refined.  But, her sending that picture unanimously revealed a very cheap side to her.  And, it's a side of her personality that doesn't even match with her confidence that the doctor would be hers if she turn on her charms.  -_-

For several episodes now, I've been wondering if SJ is falling for SR.  SR is being polite and kind to SJ.  But, I think he is in such a vulnerable state of mind that he could easily fall in lover with her care and concern.  (That should put a damper on the step-mother's plans to move in with SJ.)  However, that may create a rift between GJ and SR because I think GJ likes SJ.  :(

And, I don't know what the writer has in store for the dance instructor of the gisaeng house.  But, that character is sure getting a lot of scenes.  I really find that storyline to be superfluous.  Unless the writer is trying to show us that 'looks'  doesn't always belie the real person within. :huh:

i agree w/ all three. first one, we get to see the real Oh Hwa Ran, behind her fancy hanboks, she's just as catty as Jang Joo Hee, behind her expensive clothes. those two are very compatible in that manner.

on mr. ginger. he does get a lot of screen time. he also had that dreaded toiler humor today. so far they haven't shown any good quality about him but i'm thinking he's there to show the good qualities of others, like Dan Seh's.

Sohn Ja. actually i kinda like him. there's something tender and innocent but blunt and honest about his character. i don't think it's such a bad idea to have some competition for Damo. I didn't like Doc. Oh Jin Ahm (Chaerim's brother), even though he's good looking with a suave voice he's superficial and annoying.

But I'm happy to see Kyle in today's episode. I get antsy when he's absent too long. i keep worrying he might go to the temple again. ><

------------

I went to look at the opening credits, and i think PD Lee began working on the episodes starting from last week's episodes, episode 9.

ep. 8 only shows PD Sohn as Director.

e08110213hdtvxvidbarosa.jpg

ep. 9 cites both PD Lee (first) then PD Sohn

e09110219hdtvxvidbarosa.jpg

Quick question: Is there another reason for Sa-ran to want to learn how to pitch other than the fact that it "looks cool?" 

I have no idea why she would want to take that up with Son-ja and I don't know how, and if, it will come into play later...

I also got the feeling that Son-ja could start liking Sa-ran if he keeps spending time with her like he does right now. sa-ran and Son-ja seem to be getting along quite well. Hopefully this isn't true though because I would adore if the sisters bonded even more.

I was a little sad that Da-mo wouldn't be in the rest of the episode after he told Sa-ran he was going to Hong Kong...but I had no idea he was going to make a surprise visit in the form of a drag queen...OMG. lol So disturbing...

- Kyu

Quick question: Is there another reason for Sa-ran to want to learn how to pitch other than the fact that it "looks cool?" 

I have no idea why she would want to take that up with Son-ja and I don't know how, and if, it will come into play later...

Didn't Damo say in ep10 that when he was younger that he was envious of all the other kids who spent time with their fathers? Damo never had the chance to do things with his father. He makes a reference that it's too late for his father to play basketball or baseball with him now since his body is aging.

I think Saran is learning to pitch so that if Damo ever wanted to go play, she would know how to so they could play together as a couple.

I'm a bit surprised that the grandfather is already suspecting that Saran is their long lost granddaughter. I would've thought that they would've dragged this story line a bit more.. afterall there are 38 more episodes left. I wonder what writer Im has in store for us.

I didn't see any indication that Son Ja is developing feelings for SR yet. But at the end, he did ask for her opinion about his house so that means a lot. He didn't ask Gong Joo but Saran.

As for Sa Ran and Son Ja I don't really see anything happening between them, they seem to have an older sister-younger brother type of relationship going on.

Did anyone catch on that Da Mo's mother started to fantasize about her husband being attentive/caring? Wild assumption would be that whatever Da Mo's been saying to her is finally starting to seep in and may be, just may be she'll stand up for herself at some point in the series.

I agree with you, semi-fly. I also think it’s just an older sister-younger brother relationship between Sohn-ja and Sa-ran. Ever since Sohn-ja felt the sting of what he perceived to be a rejection from Sa-ran when she told her sister not to let him in the house alone because he’s still a male, I think Sohn-ja’s been trying to get closer to Sa-ran only because he wants SR to think of him as a part of the family. Sohn-ja likes Gong-joo, and she likes him back, but they both have a lot of hurdles to overcome such as her mother, mild social taboo about a relationship with an older woman, and Gong-joo’s apparent reluctance to admit that she likes Sohn-ja.

I did notice that about DM’s mother. Talk about a planting a seed. I don’t think it’s a wild assumption. I don’t think the writer Im, being a woman and all and Korea still being somewhat of a backward, male-dominated society especially domestically, is going to let this opportunity to “teach” the society pass by.

Guest kawaiiyuki

I see soh jo and Saran's relationship as more of brother and sister also. i think the characters also see it that way. remember how sohjo dyed his hair in hopes to catch sr's attention and then he said that he wants sr to like him because he likes her younger sister. i think them spending more time together is just a way for her to get to know him better.

i can see how th younger sister might think differently. remember how sr was watching the video she typed of dm riding his horse, if she caught sr watching it (just watching on her photo and not seeing the content) she might think it's sohjo. And sr is being secret about her relationship with dm i see the misunderstanding between her relationship with sohjo even more.

anyone know why dm took the drunk photos of his friends?? you think he send them to sr and said something like 'won't be like them since i have you'

as for dm interferring with his parents i see why he did that. he just wants his mom to be retreated better by his dad. mom needs some love also and even if she doesn't say she's lonely dm thinks she might be therefore wanted to help out. from a child's pov i can see where dm is coming from. his intent is good.

yeah wasn't in much DM in episode 12 but i guess they needed to have him be gone for a while to bring out the other story lines. we did have some aewsome moments the laslt 2 episodes. dm can use a break right? :)

Guest HelloDreamer

The ratings for the drama isn't bad =O.

I'm totally hooked on the drama. Hahahs. I saw all 10 episodes this weekend...I just hope the storylines doesn't end up being draggy. 50 episodes is along time >;o. I want to see how they find her...going to be tricky. They don't have any clue about maid. I wonder what Ra Ra will do once she finds out Sa Ran is her cousin and that, that's actually Sa Ran's father not her's. More jealousy...

Guest kawaiiyuki

The ratings for the drama isn't bad =O.

I'm totally hooked on the drama. Hahahs. I saw all 10 episodes this weekend...I just hope the storylines doesn't end up being draggy. 50 episodes is along time >;o. I want to see how they find her...going to be tricky. They don't have any clue about maid. I wonder what Ra Ra will do once she finds out Sa Ran is her cousin and that, that's actually Sa Ran's father not her's. More jealousy...

Welcome to our craziness. It's 50 episode drama so most of us here know there will be some draggy moments. It's bound to happen. For example here are somethings that might take a while to reveal or must happen because drama is long. If you've seen other kdrama around 50 episodes(like one of my favorites "Family Honor") you might recongize some of this stuff.

(In no order)

- the truth about San Ran's birth as in she being adopted and who are parents really are. (we are currently thinking it's head chef and RanRan's dad)

-RanRan's aunt finally revealed as her biological mom.

-RanRan finding out SanRan and DanMo dating and doing everything she can to break them up

-SaRan and DanMo having to break up because of some reason. We'll get some wrist grabs, ignoring calls, staring into the distance

- DanMo's parents/grandmother objection to his relationship with SanRa

-some crazy misundering between SanRa's relationship and sohJo (this one is new if you've glanced through the latest episode)

Hope i didn't spoil too much or disappoint you. Hope you stick around even if it's gets angsy.

Anyway, who thinks there will be a wedding in the 50 episode drama? Does anyone know if this writer does weddings for her 50 episode drama?

DM once said (or maybe a few times) that he wants to get married and show his dad how to be a good husband and father. If (ok we kinda all know that SR and DM are going to offically end up together-unless the writer is going to mess with us :P ) they get married i would like to see DM show his father 'how to be a good father and hubbie' You know, maybe he needs to get married to show his mom what she's missing out on, if he wants to convence her that her hubbie needs to treat her better sincewe see her in episode 12 kinda thinking how her andre loving hubbie' would surprise her with flowers.

Oh i like the fact that in episode 10 dm silent admited that he's falling in love with SR even more. I'm liking how SR is smiling more around DM. DM is sweet too, saying that if she called him while he was HongKong and said he missed her he'll fly back right away

i also agree with mhugh & semi-fly ... i only get the noona & dongseng vibe between SohnJa & SR. however, it may not be such a bad thing for SJ & SR to get close ... if only to spark GJ into realizing her feelings for SJ or to provide DM with some imagined competition.

and i'm kind of traumatized by the sight of DM in episode 12 ... just when i was kind of getting use to his overall package.

if writer Im follows the norm ... there will definitely be plenty of after wedding bliss in the midst of any angst that we're going to get thrown with. i bet we might even have plenty of cute SR & father in law bonding that will get DM & mom jealous. after all i doubt DM's dad can resist the charm of SR if he thinks RR is pretty.

while the grandfather might be clued in to the possibility that SR might be their long lost granddaughter due to her looking alike his wife during her younger days (i was surprised it didn't occur to him earlier)  ... he may be thrown off track again if SR's not inclined to  divulge the truth about family status ie. not revealing that her current mom is only a stepmom although i hope that won't happen. i like to see them move on to other things than just searching for their grandchild for 3/4 of the drama.

I have no idea about the tendency of the writer, but I have a feeling there's gonna be a wedding in this series, not just one, but maybe even two!

It's pretty clear that DaMo's and SaRan's relationship is not going to be smooth sailing, considering that DM's father would not accept him marrying someone from a lower class family, and also SR's pride will stand in the way, much in the same vain her biological mother decided to sever all ties with SR's father 25 years ago due to her pride, SR could possibly do the same to DaMo. This opens the door for RaRa to snatch DaMo, as it's something both their families will accept (RaRa's real mother in particular), it will also be the perfect time for DaMo as he's "on the rebound" from his broken relationship with SR.

There's still a meaty 40 episodes to go, so there's plenty of time for twists and turns in the story, and I have to say, I'm getting more into this drama after each episode. This is actually the first k-drama I've been hooked on for a long, long time...probably since the first wave of Hallyu dramas 5-6 years ago. I'm so glad I decided to give this one a chance.

Guest kawaiiyuki

i also agree with mhugh & semi-fly ... i only get the noona & dongseng vibe between SohnJa & SR. however, it may not be such a bad thing for SJ & SR to get close ... if only to spark GJ into realizing her feelings for SJ or to provide DM with some imagined competition.

and i'm kind of traumatized by the sight of DM in episode 12 ... just when i was kind of getting use to his overall package.

if writer Im follows the norm ... there will definitely be plenty of after wedding bliss in the midst of any angst that we're going to get thrown with. i bet we might even have plenty of cute SR & father in law bonding that will get DM & mom jealous. after all i doubt DM's dad can resist the charm of SR if he thinks RR is pretty.

while the grandfather might be clued in to the possibility that SR might be their long lost granddaughter due to her looking alike his wife during her younger days (i was surprised it didn't occur to him earlier)  ... he may be thrown off track again if SR's not inclined to  divulge the truth about family status ie. not revealing that her current mom is only a stepmom although i hope that won't happen. i like to see them move on to other things than just searching for their grandchild for 3/4 of the drama.

I can see SohnJo being in competition with DM. It would be very intersting. DM really didn't have any competition

with his dr friend cause SR was interested but because SJ and SR are getting close i can see DM feel his postion as boyfriend/hubbie being threaten. I kinda think silently DM might make fun of SJ's hair.(if/when they meet) But you know maybe SJ will get rid of that blonde/yellow (and really it looks really bad) and change it back to black.

I love weded bliss episodes. I'm a sucker for them. DM and Sr might be able to show his parents what they are missing out on while they are in honeymoon phase. I bet we'll get more smily DM and SR. When they get married maybe they will cut out the wild fantasy moments since they are married. And DM's bedroom soften in color. You know they might replace DM's giant photo of his 6 pack abs with his wedding photo. (ha, i'm going to miss that 'supermodel' photo-didn't rain have one in 'full house'-ha :P )

And yes, i can't believe grandpa just figured out now that SR might be his missing granddaughter. But i guess he couldn't piece it together until his son told him about the baby on the door step being his and what SR told him (grandpa) about her looking like her grandmother. I think it will be awhile before grandpa gets anymore family background from SR since she's secretive. But you know he might ask RR since they are 'friends'

Guest kawaiiyuki

I have no idea about the tendency of the writer, but I have a feeling there's gonna be a wedding in this series, not just one, but maybe even two!

It's pretty clear that DaMo's and SaRan's relationship is not going to be smooth sailing, considering that DM's father would not accept him marrying someone from a lower class family, and also SR's pride will stand in the way, much in the same vain her biological mother decided to sever all ties with SR's father 25 years ago due to her pride, SR could possibly do the same to DaMo. This opens the door for RaRa to snatch DaMo, as it's something both their families will accept (RaRa's real mother in particular), it will also be the perfect time for DaMo as he's "on the rebound" from his broken relationship with SR.

Two weddings huh? Which two do you think it should be? I'm thinking maybe SR/DM and maybe SR's bilogical parents. I don't think DM and RR will make it as far as to the alter.

Yes i do agree it will not be smooth sailing for our fav couple and i see DM's dad objecting because of SR's social status. (even if we know he's going to eat his words to god when he prayed for DM not to be gay) And SR might give up and end things with DM because his father doesn't want them together and her strong pride. But i don't think DM will treat RR as rebound. I think he'll let his dad plan the wedding but at the end he'll do something like walk out of the engagment or wedding.

DM seems to be the type to listen to what you have say. He'll have you think he's doing what you say but then do whatever he wants. For example at the blind date/parent meeting with rr and his parents his mother told him to order tomatoe soup cause 'he likes' to drink/eat that but he order something else. 2nd time, he made a date with rr cause his parent wanted him to start dating rr but called it off the rr because he wasn't interested.

He knows what he wants so i have a feeling he's not going to let SR go even if she insist. Hurtful words will be exchanged, wrist grab, ingored called and txt and waiting in the car will be instored for DM.

Random Thought: Remember in today's episode when Da-mo's father was complaining to Da-mo's mother about the kimchi jjigae being too salty and the kimchi not tender enough? He asks her how long she cooked it for and she tells him for an hour but she wasn't able to make the kimchi right. I really hope Sa-ran has an opportunity to cook him some kimchi jjigae the right way. haha Perhaps Da-mo's dad will fall for her cooking skills along with personality...

Did Ra-ra imply to Da-mo's father that Da-mo could be gay? I think this helped Da-mo rather than hinder him because Da-mo's father said that now it's okay with whoever Da-mo marries, as long as it's a girl. Her personality, looks, education, family, wealth...none of that matters as long as Da-mo marries someone of the opposite sex. 

Whether or not Son-ja's relationship with Sa-ran is brotherly or not, I would really like to see Jin-am make an appearance later on in the show...that would make things interesting.

- Kyu

Guest DarkSmurf

Hi Everyone,

New Tales of Gisaeng Episode 11 & 12 English Soft-Sub Subtitle is out.

New Tales of Gisaeng 1-12 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/298-new-tales-of-gisaeng-2011-episode-1-12/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Warmest Regards

DarkSmurf

PS: Sorry soompi fans, for a couple of weeks, I have not been updating the soompi site FANS on latest release. This is because the CTS project grew so rapidly in the short 2 months since it's launched, that I been kept busy with the server upgrades, making many enhancements at the site while keeping all the latest releases up-to-date. To bring about not just faster subs but also better QC edited version of the subtitle:)

Archived