Uk Events Thread

saharial

*updated 23rd May 2007*
okies.. i thought I'd strt a thread so we can all help each other out with any Korean events that happen anywhere around the UK.

add your event to the thread if you see one - with links and a brief info summary and i'll add it to the first post so that its easy reference :)

~ Once an event is over it will be deleted so there is no confusion

~ events far in the future will be greyed out so as to avoid confusion.

~ we cover more than just Korean because the UK is so starved of Asian events ;)

JUNE

http://www.kcpauk.org/dano2007.html?PHPSES...0023d601c6c63d8

Korean Cultural Promotion Agency presents

DANO, Korea Sparkling Summer Festival 2007

Enjoy British Summer in Korean Style Experience Korean traditional performing arts, art & craft and authentic Korean foods!

17, June, 2007 (12pm till 6pm) Place: Trafalgar Square, London

What is DANO?

DANO is the 5th May in the lunar calendar and in Korea marks an early summer fete. Korean ancestor believed that it was the day with strongest Yang energy. The most popular events of the day are iris hair treatment and folk games Ssireum (Korean wrestling) for the men and traditional Swings for the women. It was a DANO custom to present fans called DANOSUN decorated with paintings or writings to your acquaintances in preparation for the coming long and humid summer. This year, DANO falls on 19th June.

Programme List

12:00~ Site Open

12:30~13:00 The Grand Parade

13:00~13:30 Opening Ceremony & Launching event of Korea Sparkling

13:30~13:50 UK-Korean B Boys Battle

13:50~14:10 Taekwondo (Korean martial art)

14:10~14:25 SamulNori (Korean traditional music)

14:25~14:37 Minyo (Korean traditional music)

14:37~14:43 Janggochum (Korean traditional dance)

14:43~14:53 Lion Mask Dance (Korean traditional dance)

14:53~15:00 Fan dance (Korean traditional dance)

15:00~15:30 The Grand Parade

15:30~15:40 Sword Dance (Korean traditional dance)

15:40~16:00 Korean Traditional Wind Ensemble (Korean traditional music)

16:00~16:10 Lion Mask Dance (Korean traditional dance)

16:10~16:20 Fan Dance (Korean traditional dance)

16:20~16:40 UK-Korean B Boys - Free Style

16:40~17:00 Pungmul Daejanchi (Korean traditional music & dance)

18:00 Event Ends

(programme is subject to change without prior notice.)

There is a marquee for Korean fan decoration and stalls for Korean foods.

JULY

14-15 July 2007 JapanEx at ExCeL,color=#FF0000]London info at http://www.japanexlondon.com/

(creds: Maia-X3)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest my_FAITH

Not exactly korean event but...

London Expo

Last time i went (which was a few years ago) it was good, it was when they were just introducing anime stuff to the expo. I missed the last few times cos of various reason but the next one which is in october, i'll probably be able to go to.

It'll be easy to get to for most people since the majority live in london.

Guest xKiwi

This is cool, i think i will go to the london Expo one...glad there are other soompiers that live in the UK too! =D

Guest Maia-X3

Wah!! I go LondonExpo all the time... =D It's fun there... food at the ExCeL centre is expensive though. :(

Is it too early to mention JapanEx?? It's a convention based on anime/manga and Japanese culture.... it's sprung off the same company as LondonExpo so it's not an old people event or anything. Sorry it's not Korean event... but it's asian!

Event: JapanEx

Date: 14-15 July 2007

The website mentions that it will feature:

• Martial Arts
  • Games
  • Technology
  • Music
  • Culture
  • Traditions
  • Fashion
  • Food & Drink
  • Travel
  • Manga & Anime

But that's about it really... more info at http://www.japanexlondon.com/

There's also Filipino event tomorrow and on Sunday [July 15 & 16, 2006] called Barrio Fiesta... I think it's too late to mention this one though.... if anyone checks this out before then... it's happening in Lampton Park, Hounslow, London. Entry is free!! I will be there tomorrow... and JapanEx. ^^

Link: http://www.philippinecentre.com/barriofiesta.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest o_selina_o

oo the korean festival sounds interesting, im going to the anime expo in october as friends are dragging me with them, but it b gd fun =p

Guest infernal

The Korean festival sounds fantastic! I think we should have a UK Soompi meet there, would be a great venue to start having meets at.

I'm going to start a thread to see how many people would be inerested, the festival is in 2 weeks so we need to get moving!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest laishanchu

I was searching asian events in london xD!

came across some asian art gallery thing... not intersting but oh well, some people like art right?

Asian Art Gallery

2nd-10th of November 2006

Asian Art

London the Royal Academy’s West Room,

6 Burlington Gardens

32 Dover Street

Dunno much about it cos i got bored but to whoever likes art from asia... it involves japan,. china and korea ^^! some of the things look intersting but im not an art person so yh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest infernal

I found this whilst browsing the net today, it looks really good. Will not be able to see many films due to the price, but i might go to see Guns and Talks. I have it on dvd, but it's a great film and Won Bin is in it looking super hot!

Tiger Eye Firecracker Showcase

London’s Asian Film Festival

Thurs 14 - Sun 24 September 2006

Firecracker Magazine in association with Tiger Beer and FedEx Express presents the Tiger Eye Firecracker Showcase 2006, London’s Asian Film Festival.

Taking place at Curzon cinemas across central London (Soho, Mayfair and Renoir), the showcase will feature 30 movies from across Asia from Beijing to Bangkok, Indonesia to India, many of them showing in the UK for the very first time, the showcase will highlight some of the best brand new movies, plus some rediscovered gems both from the recent and the more distant past.

Ticket details:

Curzon Soho and Curzon Mayfair £9.50 (£6.50 concessions)

Renoir £8.50 (£6.00 concessions)

Get your showcase pass: see 5 films for the price of 4 and save up to £13.50 (5 films £34; concessions £24)

Here's the link to the website:

London Asian Film Festival

Guest natural-retard

Did Anyone see Lee Soo Young performance in London, she performed for the Britain and Korea Friendship concert... IT WAS COOL!!! I went and she was sooo good at singing... Love her!

Guest dream_weaver

Did Anyone see Lee Soo Young performance in London, she performed for the Britain and Korea Friendship concert... IT WAS COOL!!! I went and she was sooo good at singing... Love her!

ah wen was that?

Archived