[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

May 7, 2010

Actress ready for next challenge

"My goal is to prove that I am not an actress who excels only in films that are easy"

06214504.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon

It was just three years ago that Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon won the best actress award for her role in Lee Chang-dong’s “Secret Sunshine” at the 2007 Cannes International Film Festival. The actress received high acclaim from critics and audiences around the globe for her earnest portrayal of a broken woman who copes with the deaths of her husband and child.

This May, Jeon will once again compete for best actress honors when her new film “The Housemaid” premieres at the 2010 Cannes International Film Festival. The film is a Korean thriller directed by Im Sang-soo that is a remake of Kim Ki-young’s 1960 film by the same name. The story revolves around a housemaid who has an affair with her wealthy employer.

Kim’s 1960 film received rave reviews in and outside of Korea and has recently been restored by the Korean Film Archive with support from the World Cinema Foundation. For Jeon, the decision to sign on to the film wasn’t easy. “I hesitated a lot before choosing to participate in this film,” said the 37-year-old actress, for whom this is the first film following the birth of her daughter last year. “It’s extremely gratifying and meaningful to think that the film will receive recognition for its cinematic quality.”

She says the three-month production period was a happy and fulfilling experience, despite the challenge of having to portray the naive housemaid, Eun-yi. “Eun-yi is a pure woman, true to her instincts,” Jeon said. “Initially, I didn’t understand the nature of that absolute innocence. But at one point, I suddenly realized that I was capable of becoming Eun-yi.”

Jeon has won steady acclaim for convincing performances in artistically challenging works. “Whenever people say that I’m at the peak of my career, I find myself growing more and more determined to prove that I still have more to express,” she said. “I want to show that I have the potential to mature and develop as an actress.”

Despite the pressure to live up to the high expectations of both Korean and overseas audiences, Jeon appeared amazingly serene during our interview. “I’m not someone who feels the need to express increasingly violent emotions or do more revealing scenes. Rather, I assign myself goals that I must achieve on my own. “My current goal is to prove that I am not an actress who excels only in films that are easy.”

And although Jeon admitted that she would be happy to add to her collection of awards by winning at Cannes, she insisted that her first priority is to remain free of pressure. “Being invited to one of the world’s oldest and most prominent film festivals is an honor in and of itself,” she said, her face glowing with joy and easy composure.

Eventually, she hopes to hear what would, for her, be the best compliment of all - that the movie was over before they knew it. The actress exuded confidence when she stated her belief that the positive reviews will pour in.

The film opens on May 13 in Korea.

By Kim Beom-seok [estyle@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

‘Housemaid’ remake fails to rise above ordinary

06214404.jpg

A scene from “The Housemaid” (“Hanyo”) Provided by Sidus FNH

Director Im Sang-soo described his new film “The Housemaid” (“Hanyo”) as a high-quality makjang drama when he was asked to define his film at a press conference last month. “Makjang” literally means “blind end,” but if the word is used as an adjective to classify a genre of drama or film, it refers to a dark story containing elements such as adultery, sex, revenge, betrayal and violence.

Im was confident when he said the film would show what a thriller is supposed to be. Unfortunately, The Housemaid has failed to serve either purpose. The film does fall into the makjang category, but the “high quality” he promised is missing.

Im’s rendition of The Housemaid follows the basic plot of the 1960 film, directed by the late Kim Ki-young, on which it is based: Eun-yi (Jeon Do-yeon) becomes a housemaid for a wealthy family and eventually has an affair with the husband, Hun (Lee Jung-jae), who is a composer. After Hun’s wife Hae-ra (Seo Woo) discovers their relationship, the rest of the story is rather predictable: Eun-yi becomes pregnant but is forced to have an abortion.

The film depicts the ugly side of humanity, employing a string of disturbing characters to tell the story. Although these people live in an expensive mansion and sip the finest wine, they are all cheap, slick, power-hungry - and none of them feel any guilt about harassing the weakest person among them: the housemaid.

These characters are unsavory, but in the film there is nothing that elevates them above the ordinary. Except Hun. In previous films, Lee has failed to make a strong impression, but this time he has created a contemptible character worth remembering. In one scene, he looks at Eun-yi and gives her a disarming smile, but when he learns that she is pregnant, he asks, “So you’ll get rid of the baby?” as if he’s asking what’s for dinner. And then he goes back to playing the piano.

Jeon Do-yeon’s portrayal of Eun-yi is somewhat disappointing, not because she isn’t a good actress but because of the way the character was written. In previous interviews with the local media, Jeon confessed she had trouble understanding her character’s extreme naivete. So did I. The script, written by director Im, leaves us wondering: Why did she get divorced? Why did she drop out of college? How can she be so naive? With so little information about Eun-yi, it was hard to immerse myself in the movie for more than an hour. Still, Jeon shines in a couple of scenes, especially when she is shown sipping a pouch of hanyak (oriental medicine). In that scene, she is like a mouse in a huge mansion that has no clue about its destiny.

While I was watching the movie, I kept wondering what would have happened if Im and writer Kim Soo-hyun hadn’t had a big fight during the production period. Maybe Kim, who is known for her catty lines, could have saved the film from being dull. Kim is one of the most famous television screenwriters in Korea, and known for being a bit of a drama queen. She was hired to write the script but withdrew from the project after Im handed her a revision that she said bore little resemblance to what she had turned in.

In the end, the film is neither a makjang film nor a thriller but rather an ordinary tale of adultery. For me, Bong Joon-ho’s “Mother” (2009) was far more thrilling than this. But the most disappointing thing is that The Housemaid does not live up to its erotic trailer. That was the thing that really got me hooked.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 7, 2010

Newlywed Jang Dong-gun returns from honeymoon tomorrow

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050717294913086_2.jpg

Newlywed stars Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young [Asia Economic Daily]

Korea's most famous newlywed actors Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young will be returning home from their honeymoon to Southeast Asia tomorrow, according to Jang's agency.

"Jang and Ko will be returning from Bali around 9 a.m. tomorrow," a source with AM Entertainment told Asia Economic Daily over the phone on Friday.

The couple, who had tied the knot at Seoul's The Shilla hotel on May 2, will be arriving in Seoul after their six-day stay on the Indonesian island and pay a visit to their parents first thing, which is customary for Korea's newlyweds.

The source explained that the actor will be getting ready to shoot Kang Je-gyu's war pic "My Way" whose filming, as recently reported, has been delayed from July to "sometime after October."

When asked whether the couple had any plans to appear in a commercial together, he answered, "nothing has been set yet" but added that Jang will be "sorting out production-related issues for an antipoverty documentary that he has been preparing."

Jang and Ko, long-time friends who had sparked dating rumors ever since they met on the 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song", made headlines last November when they went public with their two-year romance.

The union of Korea's top two stars caused a huge stir among fans and the media, but the two remained private and offered no further details about their relationship during the months leading up to their nuptials.

The couple got married last Sunday in an elaborate wedding ceremony, which was studded with celebrity guests, reporters and fans from around the world. They will settle in their new home in Seoul's Heukseuk-dong area.

Reporter: Park So-yoen muse@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

"Cinderella" places atop Wed-Thurs primetime line-up

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010050708190217349_1.jpg

"Sister of Cinderella," "Personal Taste" and "Princess Prosecutor" [KBS, MBC, SBS]

KBS TV series "Sister of Cinderella" continued to record solid ratings this week, remaining atop shows aired in the primetime line-up of Wednesday and Thursday nights.

According to statistics released by TNS Media Korea on Friday, "Cinderella" breached the 20 percent mark once again with viewership ratings of 20.5 percent on yesterday's episode although having reported a lower rating of 18.8 percent the previous day.

Figures by AGB Nielsen Media Research indicated that the show averaged ratings of 18.8 percent on May 5 and 6, the figure down by a slight 0.2 percent from last week. This week, "Sister of Cinderella" focused on Eun-jo (played by Moon Geun-young) who tells her mother (Lee Mi-sook) that she will leave, while Gi-hoon (Chun Jung-Myung) tells Eun-jo he will take her wherever she will go.

Meanwhile, "Personal Taste," starring Lee Min-ho and Son Ye-jin, maintained its position as the No. 2 show on Wednesday and Thursday nights with its ratings in the 12 to 16 percent range while "Princess Prosecutor" continues to sway in between the 10 to eleven percent range.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

Park Eun-hye to turn tour guide for Chinese fans next week

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

20100308073913043351886_00000025_1_PA.jpg

Korean actress Park Eun-hye [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Park Eun-hye will be turning tour guide for a day, showing her Chinese fans around Jeju island next week, according to various media reports.

The actress will be meeting some 1,000 Chinese fans -- VIP clients of Hana Cosmetics which Park endorses -- at Jeju International Convention Center on May 13, introducing the popular Korean island and watching traditional art performances.

"When I go overseas, many people ask me about a good travel destination in Korea and everytime I told them about Jeju island," the actress was quoted as saying. "I am glad that I can have a good time at a place I love and with fans who like me. I hope that this will be opportunity to attract more foreigners to visit Jeju island."

The actress recently extended her contract with Hana Cosmetics after being their spokesperson for the past two years. The Chinese brand is said to have greatly benefited from their partnership with the Hallyu star, opening counters in 45 major department stores and over 2,000 cosmetics stores during the time they hired Park as their advertising model.

Park, who rose to fame in 2003 after appearing in the hit MBC TV series "Jewel in the Palace", is currently starring in MBC's morning drama "Pink Lipstick."

She set up her own agency Neem Communication after her contract with former agency expired last month.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

[PREVIEW] SBS TV series "Giant"

Editor.Lucia Hong

2010050712272508766_1.jpg

Official poster of TV series "Giant" [sBS]

"Giant" - SBS TV

Written by: Jang Young-chul, Jung Kyung-soon

Produced by: Yoo In-shik

Starring: Lee Bum-soo (as Lee Kang-mo), Park Jin-hee (as Hwang Jung-yeon), Joo Sang-wook (as Cho Min-woo), Hwang Jung-eum (as Lee Mi-joo), Jung Bo-suk (as Cho Pil-yeon), Lee Deok-hwa (as Hwang Tae-sup), Kim Seo-hyung (as Yoo Kyung-ok), Park Sang-min (Lee Sung-mo), Lee Moon-shik (as Park So-tae)

In one sentence: A period drama set in the 1970 to 1980s, a time during which people's desire to develop Kangnam were entangled, where three children who were separated after losing their parents come together to seek revenge for them.

Premiere date: May 10, 2010, 9:55 p.m.

Epic drama "Giant," celebrating the 20th anniversary of major public network SBS, is similar to MBC's series "5 Republic" in the sense that it draws on the same storyline -- the desires of an individual living in the 1970 to 1980s, a time period which was all about economic growth. However, "Giant" takes a chance and tries to transform into "an interesting story instead of the obvious" while incorporating the subject of 'developing Kangnam.' The main flow of the drama is based on three siblings Sung-mo (Park Sang-min), Kang-mo (Lee Bum-soo) and Mi-joo (Hwang Jung-eum). As if it's not enough that they lose their father in a questionable murder, their mother's life is taken away as well because of the coal briquette she bought with money she panhandled. When the three siblings, who were separated, are reunited, Sung-mo has become a man dreaming of seeking revenge while working as an agent of the Central Intelligence Agency under the command of Cho Pil-yeon (Jung Bo-suk) who killed their father and Mi-joo is one of the reigning actress of the time as well as having authority and influence on the government as well. But at the very moment they decide to execute their revenge, their fate become tangled and confusing as Mi-joo falls in love with Cho Pil-yeon's son Min-woo (Joo Sang-wook) and Kang-mo and Min-woo both go after Jung-yeon (Park Jin-hee).

Anticipation Quotient (1-10 points)

If you are curious about the Kangnam district that was eyed in the 1970s to 1980s - 9 points

If you are worried about the show's synchronization rate with "5 Republic" - 7 points

2010050712272508766_2.jpg

Actor Lee Bum-soo (left) and Jung Bo-suk (right) in scenes for "Giant" [sBS]

Kangnam was land that everyone had their eye on even 30 years ago. The tight tension between money and power can be seen through the conflict between the head of the Central Intelligence Agency Cho Pil-yeon and chairman of Manbo Construction. It is anticipated that "the first 10 episodes resembling a intelligence war" as said by Lee Bum-soo and "the camera walking only seen in American dramas" as said by Jung Bo-suk, will heighten the tension in the show. Lee Deok-hwa, who had played the role of former president Chun Doo-hwan in "5 Republic," returns as a businessman whose power is backed by the government.

At the press conference on Tuesday, scenarist Jang Young-chul explained that "the political and economical situation isn't anything more than a mere setting showing the family who is trying to live during that period....... Fundamentally, it is a human drama depicting on the family's love." However, will the audience be able to feel humanism in a drama following the story of revenge and desire? We will just have to wait and see if Jung Bo-suk's wish to "beat out MBC's 'Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown'" will be granted.

Reporter : Lee Gaon thirteen@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

Jung Gyu-woon to hold 1st Japan fan meeting

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lucia Hong

2010050713220726551_1.jpg

Korean actor Jung Gyu-woon [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Jung Gyu-woon will hold his first-ever fan meeting in Japan later today, according to his agency N.O.A Entertainment on Friday.

N.O.A stated in a press release that the fan meeting for Jung will be held at the Zero Hall in Nagoya, Japan. "He has been receiving a great amount of interest from the Japanese audience since his drama 'I Love You Ten Million Times' began its run in the country. The fan meeting was sold out and all 500 seats will be filled," explained an associate from N.O.A.

Jung was quoted saying, "I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am looking forward to meeting my Japanese fans." The actor is also scheduled to attend an interview and press conference with some of the major media outlets in Japan.

Jung made his debut in the mobile drama "5 Stars" and has had numerous roles on the small screen including "Happy Girl," "Women in the Sun" and "Love Me Once Again."

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

[PREVIEW] "The Nation's Orders" (tentative)

Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Jessica Kim

2010050710040197048_1.jpg

"The Nation's Orders (tentative title)" - KBS

Written by: Choi I-rang, Lee Jin-mae

Produced by: Kim Jung-kyu

Starring: Kim Sang-kyung (as Ko Jin-hyuk), Lee Soo-kyung (Oh Hana), Ryu Jin (Han Do-hoon), Horan (Choi Eun-suh) etc.

In one sentence: A romantic comedy involving troublemaker police officer Oh Hana and ultra rigid intelligence official Ko Jin-hyuk

Premiere date: May 10, 2010, 9:55 PM

"The Nation's Orders," a miniseries whose script won the second-highest honor in a competition hosted by major public network KBS in 2009, may sound like a serious and solemn drama at first glance. But to quote actor Kim Sang-kyung's words, it is a romantic comedy which is "so funny that it was necessary to act while putting pressure to my toes." Oh Hana (played by Lee Soo-kyung), a police officer who is always causing trouble, exhibits a sense of duty on the occasion of getting dumped by her boyfriend, arresting a shameless man who tries to install a hidden camera in a women's bathroom. But that man turns out to be intelligence official Ko Jin-hyuk (Kim Sang-kyung) who was executing a secret operation and Oh Hana becomes falsely charged with having interrupted the agency's investigation. Hence their first encounterance turns their relationship from coincidence to ill fate and when Ko Jin-hyuk's past lover Choi Eun-suh (Horan) and undeserving tycoon Han Do-hoon (Ryu Jin) also join in the picture, "The Nation's Orders" starts unraveling its unpredictable story.

"The Nation's Orders" is expected to take off to a smooth start being the only romantic comedy in its time slot amongst SBS TV series "Giant" which also premieres the same day and MBC's "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" now into its fourteenth episode. The largest changes will be seen in Ryu Jin who said, "[Han Do-hoon] Is similar to my actual self so I'll be acting naturally, without having to prepare anything in particular," and Lee Soo-kyung who has changed 180 degrees from her character in SBS drama "I Love You Ten Million Times." But what will also be worth noting will be singer Horan who will be making her acting debut through "The Nation's Orders." And like Kim Sang-kyung said at the press conference on Monday -- "It is a show full of an array of talented supporting actors positioned at the right places at the right times" -- talents including Shin Shin-ae, Kang Shil-il and Yang Keum-suk will serve as a base providing solid support for the main cast. Hence the key will lie in how much of a not-so-obvious story is told. This is also the reason why "The Nation's Orders" being the only cheerful romantic comedy in the Monday and Tuesday primetime slot could be both an advantage and disadvantage for the show.

Reporter: Lee Ga-on Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

Han Hyo-joo says she "hold fast" to her role in "Dong Yi"

Editor.Lee Ji-Hye,Lucia Hong

MBC's "Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" is a big obstacle for new dramas "Giant" by SBS and “The Nation’s Orders" (tentative title) by KBS that are premiering next Monday. "Dong Yi," which took off to a slow start with low ratings, has solidified its position after the airing of several episodes to see its ratings breach the 20 percent mark. The drama full of distinctive characters including Chun-soo (Bae Soo-bin), Dong Yi (Han Hyo-joo) and Jang Hee-bin (Lee So-yeon) have been main driving force behind the show's recent surge in popularity. Below are the excerpts from the interview on the open set of "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown."

10: At the first press conference, you were worried about the cold. How is the weather now?

Jung Jin-young (Jung): It's the same as it was before. The weather was below zero two weeks ago.

2010050716003369984_1.jpg

Korean actress Lee So-yeon (left) and actor Bae Soo-bin (right) [MBC]

10: Doesn't Chun-soo have the hardest time, even though the rest of the cast has a rough time too.

Bae Soo-bin (Bae): The most difficult scene for me was when I fell from the cliff. In the show the shot of me falling only lasted for 5 to 6 seconds but we had to re-shoot the cliff scene because we had to shoot me falling into the water and it was all done on the water set at the Magic Studio in Ilsan. Because the fog wouldn't clear up for two days, we also had to climb up to shoot for an extra day because the cliff was at the peak of the mountain. So it took a good three days to film that scene. That is the most memorable moment.

10: Ji Jin-hee said that "Chun-soo is most scared of the passages in his script." Is this true?

Bae: Even in scenes where I appear after having disappeared, I have to emerge from water. I immediately went into the water after obeying to him where it said, 'Scoop out from the center of the water.' But I knew what I would be getting myself into when I had decided to take on my character so I emptied my mind when I shot the scene.

10: The actresses must experience a lot of difficulties too such as not being able to remove their make-up. Their fatigue shows on the screen too.

Lee So-yeon (Lee): For me personally, this is the least busiest drama that I've done. But I normally don't sleep a lot at night and I haven't had to shoot overnight so it's upsetting to see how my fatigue shows on screen.

Park Ha-sun (Park): I have been drinking pumpkin and ginger juice because my face gets bloated easily. That's how it hasn't bloated to the point of me becoming upset.

2010050716003369984_2.jpg

Korean actress Park Ha-sun (left) and actor Jung Jin-young (right) [MBC]

10: How do you spend most of your free time stranded on set here in Yongin?

Lee: It feels very comfortable on set and we spend our free time talking with one another. It's the most fun when we spend time together.

Park: I usually sleep or memorize my lines. Right now I'm trying to become close with Lee Kwang-soo because ever since I've watched "High Kick 2," I've wanted to become his friend.

Jung: To be honest, the shooting itself is the hardest part. Nothing is as fun as being on set. I like everything about being on set minus the shoots. (laugh)

10: Fourteen episodes of "Dong Yi" have been aired so far. What are your thoughts on the filming so far?

Lee: I was worried a lot at first. I think it's because the public recognizes Jang Hee-bin as someone who has a very strong personality, but the Jang Hee-bin that I portray is different from that. I'm relieved that my acting has been received well by the viewers because I was worried that they might see it as a problem in my acting. I have much more to show the audience and I think a new type of Jang Hee-bin may emerge.

Jung: This drama is fun even in my own eyes. I think towards Dong Yi, I will always be someone who is soft and help her out as an assistant to a historian. So far, a lot of stories have been played out but I think they will become intense until they reach a peak.

Park: I was glad to have shown a differently interpreted Queen Inhyeon . It was refreshing to show a queen who is tenacious and can scold meanly because before, the audience was used to seeing the nice and tender queen. I almost cried when I received good responses. I will continue to show the humane qualities of Queen Inhyeon and also more of her toughness. In the end, I hope she dies a good death.

10: Does that mean Queen Inhyeon's death is imminent?

Park: There is not much time left before she is dethroned. The producer explained beforehand that there will be a dramatic scene regarding the 'upcoming dethronement.'

10: Lee So-yeon, what kind of death do you think best fits your character Jang Hee-bin?

Lee: An extremely cool death. The original Jang Hee-bin dies after having been a spiteful character but I think the Jang Hee-bin that I play will die a different kind of death.

10: Some say that Jang Hee-bin is similar to Mi-shil from "Queen Seon-dok."

Lee: Jang Hee-bin is different from Mi-shil. They are different because Mi-shil is the kind of person who reveals everything on the outside through her expressions and speech, while I think Jang Hee-bin will become the type that calculates everything on the inside and then torments Queen Inhyeon.

2010050716003369984_3.jpg

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo (left) and actor Lee Kwang-soo (right) [MBC]

Q: Producer Lee described Dong Yi as a Candy-like person, in the sense that she is always cheerful and plucky. What kind of character do you think she is?

Han: Someone who doesn’t calculate. She is so innocent that in a way, it could seem that she lacks in concept, so I’m trying my best to bring out the vibe about her that she puts in her best for every moment of her life.

Q: Lee Kwang-soo, this is your first time appearing in a historical drama. How has it been so far?

Lee Kwang-soo: In the beginning I felt a lot of pressure and worried over whether I would do a good job. But my seniors have taught me a lot and helped me to feel more at ease so I’m enjoying myself these days.

Lee Hee-do: I’ve been surprised a lot while [acting] with him. I’m rather the one that’s learning a lot from Kwang-soo these days. (laugh) He will take the lead at the most unexpected moments. Even in the scene that we shot just now, we were supposed to cry in each other’s arms but he even knocked me down. I was surprised.

Q: When we look at your acting, it seems as if you thrive on making ad-libs. How often do you use them?

Lee Hee-do: I use them a lot. Even the producer expects us to use them after we finish acting out our lines so he keeps the tape rolling. I’m on the edge for every scene we shoot these days though because the ad-libs are on Kwang-soo. And he’ll throw completely unexpected ad-libs, not the obvious.

Lee Kwang-soo: He knows he can do them but he gives me the chance to shoot mine.

Reporter : Lee Gaon thirteen@ Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@, Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

20100507130642000660196_00000005_1_PA.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee takes part in a shoot for MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" at its set on the broadcaster's production studio in the city of Yong-in in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 6, 2010.

20100507130642000660196_00000021_1_PA.jpg

Lee Byung-hoon and Han Hyo-joo [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, producer Lee Byung-hoon and Han Hyo-joo take part in a shoot for MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" at its set on the broadcaster's production studio in the city of Yong-in in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 6, 2010.

2010050717445947922_1.jpg

Actress Han Hyo-joo takes part in a shoot for MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" at its set on the broadcaster's production studio in the city of Yong-in in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 6, 2010.

20100507130642000660196_00000013_1_PA.jpg

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

2010050700498_0.jpg

Lee So-yeon poses on the set of her TV drama "Dong Yi" in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province on Thursday.

2010050700498_1.jpg

Han Hyo-joo

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

May 7, 2010

Ji Jin-hee says "happy to break stereotype" as a king

Reporter.Wee Geun-woo Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Lynn Kim

Joint press interview with the cast of MBC TV series "Dong Yi"

2010050716521799967_1.jpg

Korean actor Ji Jin-hee on the set of TV series "Dong Yi" [MBC]

The introduction of the "adorable King Sook-jong" was a landmark event for MBC TV series "Dong Yi" and the history of traditional dramas on the small screen. King Sook-jong is shown as a king who showers his royal blessings upon his servant court ladies with a bright smile, and one who runs around freely when he goes outside the palace walls for the first time. While the new character might have been born from director Lee Byung-hoon's reinterpretation and writer Kim Yi-young's script, it was actor Ji Jin-hee who completed the transformation. We met the actor, who is showing new potential as a comic actor through KBS TV series "The Man Who Can't Get Married" and film "Looking For My Wife," at the joint press interview held May 6 on the Yong-in set of "Dong Yi."

Q: In the beginning of the series, King Sook-jong's secret travelings caused quite a stir.

Ji Jin-hee (Ji): To be honest, I never imagined that he would have such qualities. I thought, 'He is just a king, how far could he go?' But not only did he travel very far but he only went out at night because he wanted to see how commoners really live. That scene actually shows pretty briefly on the screen, but we have been going to all sorts of places and shooting five days a week for it. Luckily, I like it because there are a lot of funny scenes and I was able to break the viewer's stereotype of playing a character who is a king.

Q: But he is still a king -- don't you feel that your character was too caricaturized?

Ji: I think that is a matter of perspective. Aren't people saying that because the King Sook-jong in "Dong Yi" is more interesting and provocative compared to how he was portrayed in the previous dramas? Of course, I did worry a lot over how the viewers would respond. But the producer had the skill to break old stereotypes and we are getting a positive feedback, so we are having fun shooting the show.

Q: The producer's skill is important too but, to everyone's surprise, you looked very natural doing comedy in KBS drama "The Man Who Can't Get Married" and film "Looking For My Wife." Like you have been doing it all your life.

Ji: I used to say in many interviews that I wanted to do comedy acting later. I love watching sitcoms and comedy programs, and isn't it better to do fun stuff in life anyway? But I really wanted to be good at melodramas and serious stuff first, and I thought it would be nice to show my funny side when I got older. But unlike dramas, the movies that I thought would be commercially successful weren't very big hits at the box office. So I thought maybe I was out of touch with the times but I am actually getting a good response when I tried comedy and a lot of compliments too. I'm starting to wonder if my future lies in comedy. (laugh) But more than anything, I think I am just getting a kick out of playing a royal character like I do on the show.

2010050716521799967_2.jpg

Actor Ji Jin-hee in scenes from TV series "Dong Yi" [MBC]

Q: You play an incredibly jolly character and have relationships with many characters in the story. What is the atmosphere on the set like?

Ji: Several days ago, I was at home waiting for the script to arrive and on standby for the shoot. But then when we were told the script was coming out tomorrow and we couldn't shoot today, everyone on the set decided that we should all go out for drinks. They called me on their way to Seoul from Ilsan, and so I went out to drink rice wine with them. It was two in the morning and my wife asked me if I was going out to shoot. I told her I was going out for a drink and then she was worried about the not script being ready. But we actually had fun that night for the first time since we started working together. Everyone was there -- Queen In-hyeon (actress Park Ha-seon), Ok-jeong (Lee So-yeon), Cha Chun-soo (actor Bae Soo-bin), Dong Yi (Han Hyo-joo) and Official Suh (actor Jung Jin-young). We became much closer drinking and talking about our concerns. I like things like that.

Q: On the set, who is the type to soften the atmosphere?

Ji: Jung Jin-young is incredibly jolly on the set. Even when he doesn't have any scenes to shoot, he goes around and talks with people, like the props staff and wardrobe people. So there is nothing he doesn't know about. He knows everything that happens on the set, like why the script isn't ready yet.

Q: The atmosphere sounds great but it must be an exhausting job physically. At the press conference, people thought you would have it easier because you play a king.

Ji: The weather is colder that I thought it would be. (laugh) But I have it better than Cha Chun-soo because he is always running around on snow-covered fields and falling down on the snow. When you read the script, it is extremely scary. In the eighth episode where Chun-soo appears in the show again, the script reads something like 'Chun-soo gets rescued from the water.' Actor Bae Soo-bin was expecting that he would just be lying on a sandy beach but the writer tells him to jump in the water. Once he was up on a cliff for several hours because the script said that Chun-soo was "doing something on a cliff." Anyway, I have it a whole lot easier than that guy.

Q: How is it having to constantly put on and take off your moustache for the show? I heard it irritates your skin a lot.

Ji: It’s been causing a lot of problems to my skin. I haven’t been able to sleep a lot either so the dark circles under my eyes are so bad that I have to wear heavy make-up. I’m in a sad situation. But very gratefully, a Japanese fan of mine sent me a remover I can use when I’m taking off my moustache. I usually almost faint when taking it off because I have to use petroleum but this doesn’t smell at all. It’s a jackpot product so I’m secretly using it for myself. (laugh)

Q: It’s undeniable that the ratings for your show plays a part to the atmosphere on set. They’re good but you could have expected ratings similar to “Jewel in the Palace.”Ji: I don’t think we should be comparing with “Jewel in the Palace.” Will there ever be a drama like that ever again? I think the two are being compared because producer Lee and I are working on it but I believe that we’re in a different situation from then. There are a lot of fun dramas out these days. And our ratings aren’t as high as they were for “Jewel in the Palace,” but they’re still pretty high. (laugh) I’ve been having fun shooting the show and haven’t paid attention to the comparisons. There is an anticipation that comes from seeing Dong Yi who is a new character and Jang Hee-bin and Suk-jong who have been re-interpreted. I think the ratings would go up if we shot it to be interesting.

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo eight@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 8, 2010

Actress Kim Se-ah Makes Case for Natural Home Birth

Actress Kim Se-ah gave birth to a baby girl at her home in January at the age of 37 and has now published a book about the experience. "Giving birth at home is the very first present to the baby. I would like to tell other pregnant women that any healthy woman can give birth at home," said Kim.

In an interview on Thursday, Kim said, "I chose to deliver at home because I wanted to let my child have the very first contact with the world in the most natural and comfortable way."

2010050800312_1.jpg

Kim Se-ah and her husband Kim Kyu-sik with their baby

Kim married cellist Kim Kyu-sik last year. "In the early stage of pregnancy, I used to go to a normal women's clinic. But I grew disenchanted with a hospital that treated the body of pregnant women as a piece of machinery. I wasn't sure if this is the place where my child should be born," she said. In her sixth month of pregnancy, Kim decided to give birth in her own house. In a yoga lesson, she got to watch the documentary "The Business of Being Born," which criticizes the U.S. healthcare system's reliance on drugs and costly intervention.

Her mother was initially against Kim's idea, fearing that that it would be too dangerous, but her husband persuaded her mother. "While I was studying in Europe, I saw such cases quite frequently, so I knew it wasn't something peculiar or dangerous," he said.

About 30 percent of families in Europe, and 8 percent in the U.S. are said to give birth at home, in stark contrast to less than 1 percent in Korea. Thanks to support and encouragement from her husband, Kim set out in search for a doctor who would support her cause and a midwife. On the day of delivery, both the midwife and the doctor were beside her throughout the whole experience. They made the atmosphere as normal as possible, playing music and lighting aromatic candles. For 11 hours, her husband was by her side, massaging and comforting her to assuage the pain of delivery.

May 10, 2010

Jang Dong-gun couple return from honeymoon

Photographer.Park Sung-Ki Editor.Jessica Kim

2010051010480060246_1.jpg

Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

2010051010480060246_2.jpg

From left, newlywed actors Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young return from their honeymoon to Bali,

arriving at Incheon International Airport in South Korea on May 8, 2010.

2010051010433511406_1.jpg

Newlywed actor Jang Dong-gun returns from his honeymoon to Bali with actress Ko So-young,

2010051010433511406_2.jpg

Newlywed actress Ko So-young returns from her honeymoon to Bali with actor Jang Dong-gun,

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr l 10.asiae.co.kr

How a Celebrity Couple Is a Living Fashion Advertisement

2010051000812_0.jpg

Jang Dong-gun (left) and Ko So-young arrive

from their honeymoon in Bali at Incheon International Airport on Saturday.

After a week-long honeymoon in Bali, Korea's starriest couple Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young returned on Saturday looking as fashionable as ever. Jang appeared especially stylish, dressed nearly head to toe in clothes from a single designer, just as he did when he flew out last week.

When they left for Bali on May 3, Jang showed a strong attachment to Lanvin, looking casual in a Lanvin jacket and sneakers. When he returned on Saturday his preferred brand was Dolce & Gabbana. With the exception of shoes from Ash to match Ko's, Jang wore a hunting cap, leather shirt and trousers from the Italian brand.

When it comes to fashion, Jang and Ko have immense advertising power. The items they wear quickly become the talk of the town as netizens pore over their photos and identify the brands they wear. A bag that Ko held when the couple traveled to Hawaii in January soon became a "must-have" among the fashion conscious.

It may be Jang's style to wear a single brand each day, but the result is an enormous advertising effect for that particular brand. As the major Internet portals covered the couple's arrival on Saturday, the brand he was wearing received nationwide media exposure without having spent a penny. Even after Saturday, the couple's fashions are still being spread online among fashion-minded netizens.

May 10, 2010

Lee Jun-ki's military photo revealed on Cyworld

Reporter.Cho Bum-ja Editor.Lynn Kim

2010051011035668796_1.jpg

Actor Lee Jun-ki in the Korean military services [Cyworld]

A recent photo of Lee Jun-ki taken at his current military training camp is spreading fast on the Internet since first being posted on Korea's popular social networking site Cyworld. In the picture, taken by a training assistant at Nonsan military camp and later put up on his mini-hompy, the military uniform-clad Lee is seen smiling while making a salute with his hands.

The actor looks to be in more cheerful spirits than he was last Monday, when he held back tears and saluted hundreds of his fans goodbye before heading off to serve the country's two-year mandatory military service. One fan remarked in the comments section below the photo, "I am relieved to see him more upbeat."

Lee, best known for his role in the 2005 pic "The King and the Clown", had been shooting the film "Grand Prix" and set to appear in blockbuster TV series "Faith" when he was notified by the government to report to the military. He initially tried to defer his entrance date in order to finish up the shootings, but pulled out from both projects when he was unable to do so.

After receiving five weeks of basic training at Nonsan, Lee will be assigned to a different base where he will carry out twenty months of military duties.

Reporter : Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 10, 2010

Rain nominated for an MTV Movie Award

e_100510_l.jpg

One of the more internationally recognized k-pop stars, Rain, has just made the headlines again. This time for becoming the first Korean star to be nominated for an MTV Movie Award (or MMA).

J.Tune Entertainment announced on May 10th, that Rain's starring role in the movie "Ninja Assassin" will be putting him up against some of Hollywood's biggest names for the "Biggest Badass Star" MMA. Names that include Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, and Tom Cruise.

Though the MMAs aren't exactly on the same level as the Academy Awards, it's an award show that is heavily influenced by the younger, pop generation. It's known for having unique award categories such as "Best Kiss" and "Best Fight". The outcome is also largely determined through online votes.?

The voting process will start May 13th before the show takes place on June 6th in Los Angeles.

Source: KBS Global

Rain nominated as 'Biggest Badass Star'

100510_p18_rain.jpg

Korean singer and actor Rain

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

Rain has been nominated in the Biggest Badass Star category for the MTV Movie Awards, according to his agency J.Tune Entertainment, Monday.

This is the first time for a Korean actor to be acknowledged at a Hollywood event, alongside other top movie stars including Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise. The only two Asians in the category are Rain and Jackie Chan. According to J.Tune Entertainment, the 27-year-old singer is well known as an actor in the United States, thanks to his debut action flick "Ninja Assassin.''

Rain has proved his popularity in Hollywood by winning three prizes at the Hollywood's Green Planet Movie Awards in March. He took home the 10 Outstanding Asians in Hollywood award, the Asian Cultural Ambassador of the Year award and the Best International Entertainer award. Meanwhile, the singer is currently appearing in various entertainment shows and music programs here, promoting his special album "Back to the Basic" and song "Love Song.''

The MTV Movie Awards is held annually on MTV and nominees are selected by the producers and executives at MTV. Winners are chosen online by viewers. The voting starts on May 13, while the event kicks off on June 6 in Lost Angeles.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

2010051000387_0.jpg

Singer Rain flies balloons as part of a campaign for missing children at Children's Grand Park in Seoul on Sunday. /Newsis

May 10, 2010

Lee Byung Hun to Preside Over Lee Bum Soo’s Wedding

Star actor Lee Byung Hun (40) will preside over the wedding of actor Lee Bum Soo (41).

7374_1150_l.jpg

▲Lee Byung Hun

PS10031100007.JPG

20100510_1273470994.jpg

▲Lee Bum Soo & bride-to-be Lee Yoon Jin

Lee Bum Soo's agency Mast Entertainment announced on May 7 that Lee Byung Hun will be the presider at the wedding of Lee Bum Soo and interpreter Lee Yoon Jin, which will be held on May 22 at 5 pm at Sheraton Walkerhill Hotel.

A person at the agency described the two actors’ friendship by saying, “Even before Lee Bum Soo asked Lee Byung Hun to preside over the wedding, Lee Byung Hun said to Lee Bum Soo, ‘I surely have to host your wedding. If you had asked someone else to preside over your wedding, I might feel hurt.’”

Kim Jong Hwan, the former Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Army and a general in the reserves, will officiate the wedding, and singers Hwan Hee and Whee Sung will sing for the wedding. The agency also said, “The general is acquainted with Lee Bum Soo’s father, who is a former military man, so he accepted Lee Bum Soo’s request to officiate his wedding.”

May 10, 2010

Yang Dong-geun to make comeback in film "Grand Prix"

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

20100325151316001528495_00000027_1_PA.jpg

Korean singer and actor Yong Dong-geun [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer and actor Yang Dong-geun will be making his acting comeback through film "Grand Prix," according to the film's producer Sidus FNH on Monday.

Sidus FNH announced in a press release that Yang has been cast as the film's male lead which had originally been set to be played by Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki before he dropped out to go to the army last week as part of fulfilling Korea's mandatory military duties.

Yang, on the other hand, was recently discharged from the military after serving his two years in the force and has chosen "Prix" as his comeback project. "I really loved the script which tells a story of hope," the actor was quoted as saying. "I am looking forward to it because the atmosphere on set is really great too."

Yang, who starts shooting the pic later this month, will be portraying a jockey named Woo-seok who befriends and supports a female jockey, played by top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee. The plot revolves around the two's budding friendship as well as their challenge to compete in the grand prix with a new horse.

Yang, 30, debuted as a hip-hop singer and has released several hit albums including "Vol. 1 - Yangdonggeun a.k.a. Madman" (2001) and "Vol. 2 - Travel" (2003). Known for playing unconventional characters with his unique style of acting, Yang also starred in several notable dramas and films including "Wild Card" (2003), "Fighter in the Wind" (2004) and hit TV series "Ruler of Your Own World" (MBC, 2002), co-starring actress Lee Na-young.

"Grand Prix," which will wrap up shooting in July, is set for release around the Korean Thanksgiving holidays in September.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 11, 2010

New drama brewing

10222831.jpg

The cast of “Coffee House” pose for pictures yesterday to promote the new SBS drama, which is set to start next Monday. The trendy romance drama will center around a cafe, and many observers have already compared it to the 2006 hit MBC drama “Coffee Prince No. 1.” Pictured, from left, are: Eun-jung, from the girl band T-ara, actor Kang Ji-whan, actress Park Si-yeon, and actor Chung Woongin. [YONHAP]

Source: joongangdaily.joins.com More photos HERE

2010051113403410825_1.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan arrives at a press conference for SBS TV series "Coffee House" held at the broadcaster's office in Seoul, South Korea on May 10, 2010.

2010051113352477013_1.jpg

From left, singer and actress Ham Eun-jung and actor Kang Ji-hwan pose during a photo session of a press conference for SBS TV series "Coffee House" held at the broadcaster's office in Seoul, South Korea on May 10, 2010.

2010051113250017765_1.jpg

From left, actress Park Si-yeon, actor Kang Ji-hwan and producer Pyo Min-soo arrive at a press conference for SBS TV series "Coffee House" held at the broadcaster's office in Seoul, South Korea on May 10, 2010.

2010051113311552357_3.jpg

Producer Pyo Min-soo and "Coffee House" cast Kang Ji-hwan, Ham Eun-jung, Park Si-yeon and Jung Woong-in. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

From left, producer Pyo Min-soo and "Coffee House" cast Kang Ji-hwan, Ham Eun-jung, Park Si-yeon and Jung Woong-in pose during a photo session of a press conference for SBS TV series "Coffee House" held at the broadcaster's office in Seoul, South Korea on May 10, 2010.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr l 10.asiae.co.kr l 10.asiae.co.kr

Pyo says "Coffee House" is "in between sitcom and drama"

Editor.Lynn Kim, Lee Ji-Hye Photographer.Chae ki-won

Joint press interview with director Pyo Min-soo of SBS TV series "Coffee House"

Director Pyo Min-soo described the characters in upcoming SBS TV series "Coffee House" as people who "are free from certain restrictions." As a matter of fact, all his previous dramas were too different and various to be put into a single category. While KBS TV series "Full House" and MBC's "What Star Did You Come From" were romantic comedies, KBS' "In-soon Is Pretty" was a unique drama which told about a character growing up and "The World That They Live In" in many angles shed light onto the loves and heartbreaks that characters working at a TV broadcasting station experience. In "Coffee House," director Pyo Min-soo tries to "prove that this drama is different from previous ones" by bringing realistic elements of a sitcom into the show such as incorporating the actor's real-life personalities and props. Through female character Seung-yeon's (played by Ham Eun-jung) transformation from an amateur to a professional working woman, Pyo tries to show a type of professional who is able to enjoy pain. At the drama's press conference held on May 10, the director shared his insight on how he tried to differentiate "Coffee House."

Q: This is your second of the 'House series after "Full House." Could you explain how this drama is different from your previous ones or how it is related to them?

Pyo Min-soo (Pyo): "Coffee House" doesn't have a special connection to "Full House" because it has a life of its own. For example, the fastidious personality of Jin-soo (played by Kang Ji-hwan) is different from Young-jae (character in "Full House" played by Rain) and is charming in its own way. He smiles a lot and is polite yet does things his way to show a new form of fussiness. In the case of "Full House", the actors had very little to do because the producers had already planned everything for the show. But for "Coffee House", the producers and actors have equal amount of responsibility in preparing their lines and props. The actors sometimes put in their own style of speech and get a hairdo that they wanted to try. So the anecdotes in the drama have a sense of realness -- like something that could happen in real life. But if will be more fun for viewers to not associate one drama with the other when watching "Coffee House."

2010051112544117395_1.jpg

"Coffee House" director Pyo Min-soo [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Is there a particular reason you had the production crew and actors split the responsibility equally?

Pyo: "Coffee House" is a show that is in between being a sitcom and a drama. I gave actors more responsibility because I wanted the show to maintain a sense of realness like a sitcom. And when I did that, it eliminated the line between the actor and his character and the actors were able to become more of their characters compared to in other dramas.

Q: Did you cast the actors knowing that you wanted to reflect their real personalities onto the drama?

Pyo: For the character Eun-young, I took Park Si-yeon's real-life personality and painted her as someone who cares a lot about others and works very hard. And, on top of that, I completed the character by making her a person who tells other people what to do. People have preconceived notions about Ham Eun-jung because she is originally a singer, but her past background is not important to me. I wanted to focus on Ham Eun-jung the actress and gave her the role of Seung-yeon who is "up for anything," like a guy who just returned from a military.

Q: Some people are criticizing that the title and characters are similar to those of "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince." What is the message that "Coffee House" wants to deliver?

Pyo: I wanted tell a story about people who were alienated culturally. Through the topic of coffee and books, I wanted to show the difference between the world of amateurs and professionals among the wealthy and the poor, and the people who producer culture and those who consume it. People frequently use the word 'professional' but it takes as much as ten to twenty years to actually become one. In order to become a professional, you can either do it the hard way by gritting your teeth or enjoy the process and do it with a smile. I chose the latter method. If you do it the hard way, you can endure it for about three years but I think a person who enjoys the ride can last up to ten years.

Q: Does that mean you want to focus on the world of working professionals such as novelists or baristas?

Pyo: I would like to revert to portraying family relationships rather than just showing people who become a pro in their fields. I want to show viewers how younger sisters, older sisters and other family members become pros in their workplaces and achieve their goals.

Q: This is your first drama for SBS. What do you want for the show?

Pyo: I just want everyone to have fun while shooting the series. You could say that books and coffee are, simply put, the mind and body. I would like viewers to feel that way on the show's final episode.

Reporter: Lee Ga-on Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Kang Ji-hwan wants "to break Mon-Tues TV ratings record"

Editor.Lucia Hong Photographer.Chae ki-won

SBS' "Coffee House" is the second 'House' series from director Pyo Min-so and even in its production stage it is already causing a stir among the audience with its stars including Kang Ji-hwan's return to the small screen and the debut of T-ara member Ham Eun-jung as the leading actress. Ham plays the role of Seung-yeon who is an amateur in life living with no set goals while preparing for the level 9 public official test and after she meets a perfectionist novelist Jin-soo (played by Kang Ji-hwan), decides to endure the pain in order to become a professional. Below are the excerpts from the press conference for the new drama "Coffee House" with Korean actors Kang Ji-hwan, Ham Eun-jung, Park Si-yeon and Jeong Wung-in.

10: Could you explain a bit about the characters you will be playing?

Kang Ji-hwan (Kang): I will be playing the role of Jin-soo who is a novelist. He is the most unusual and sort of four-dimensional type of character I have ever played before. I've been putting a lot of effort to give my character more personality by meeting with the director a lot of times since the planning stages of the drama.

Ham Jung-eun (Ham): I play the role of Kang Seung-yeon who was preparing for her test to become a level 9 public officer but becomes Jin-soo's secretary after becoming attracted to him. Seung-yeon's bouncy character is similar to my actual personality so I've been engaged in the shoots with the idea that I am defining her traits rather than being under the pressure to try and be funny.

Park Si-yeon (Park): I play Seo Eun-young, the C.E.O of the publishing company. I am enjoying the shoot since I get to play a bright and cheerful character since before, I played a lot of tragic female lead roles. And I like coffee so going to the set is even more fun.

Jeong Wung-in (Jeong): My character is Han Ji-won, a business consultant. He is a comical character who tries to win back Eun-young's love after realizing she is 'the one' since breaking off their engagement two years ago.

2010051113110056476_1.jpg

Cast of SBS' "Coffee House" Kang Ji-hwan (left) and Park Si-yeon (right) [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: Kang Ji-hwan, you are returning to the small screen for the first time since your role in "Hong Gil-dong, the Hero" two years ago. Is there any particular reason that you chose "Coffee House" for your comeback?

Kang: I don't know if it's because writer Song Jae-jung was the scenarist for MBC sitcoms "High Kick" and "Secret of Keu Keu Island," but "Coffee House" is unlike any other romantic comedy drama. With "Coffee House" the audience will be able to laugh in each episode because new incidents will occur each time rather than the emotions from a previous episode connecting to the next as in typical miniseries. I think I chose this production because it was refreshing -- after watching the first two episodes I realized that it subtly crosses in between a drama and sitcom.

10: Park Si-yeon, you have come to be able to change your image after having mainly taken on serious or dark characters.

Park: I am overcome with emotion because I have been dying to be in a romantic comedy. This is the first time I'm even bringing my own props for the shoot. Every time I go on set I feel like I'm going on a picnic because the atmosphere is so great. My character Eun-young is completely different from myself because she says whatever is on her mind.

10: So did you have any difficulties in portraying the role of Eun-young?

Park: I feel ecstatic. Being who I am doesn't mean that I have never wanted to scream. (laugh) It's really fun because I've pieced together all those parts and use it to portray Eun-young. I am enjoying it because it's something that I have never done before.

10: Director Pyo Min-soo once said, "I try to incorporate actors' actual personalities and their props in my dramas." Kang Ji-hwan, what was this like for you and did you prepare anything in particular?

Kang: I once saw Bill Gates riding a bicycle around his research compound on TV. I had always wanted to try it out in for a production so we changed the bicycle scene in the script to the segway that Bill Gates rides around in. I am trying to portray a completely different image of a novelist through reverse thinking because when one thinks of a writer, they usually think of them sitting at their desk. You can see it as the scenarist being the person who builds a house on a large prairie, and I and other actors as the ones who work on the interior design of the house.

2010051113110056476_2.jpg

Cast of SBS' "Coffee House" Ham Eun-jung (left) and Jeong Wung-in (right) [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: Jeong Wung-in, you must be feeling quite different working on this drama since you are playing a leading role and are surrounded by all these young actors.

Jeong: I do, it being a production by Pyo Min-soo and the fact that it's a miniseries. Honestly, I feel that I have reached a status level with the stars. (laugh) I try to rid myself of the pressure I feel through acting. One of my strengths is that I am most composed at the moment I am nervous and I’m the sort of actor who knows to have more fun in front of the camera. If the drama goes well, I think producer Pyo Min-soo and I will form a great relationship. And I think I will keep calling him even if the ratings didn't come out that high. (laugh) I have never met such a great bunch of people like this before.

10: You play the role of Eun-young's fiancee. How did it feel to play a role opposite Park Si-yeon? I bet you probably felt proud too, maybe thinking 'I'm still doing alright.'

Jeong: I would be lying if I denied having thought about it. I also thought, 'What would happen if I get cut because Park doesn't like me?' (laugh) I started out with the confidence that Park will benefit from the acting pointers that I can give her. I think we'll be able to show good chemistry in the drama. I try to go on set even on the days I don't have any scenes to shoot so I can help monitor Park's acting.

10: Ham Eun-jung, your character Seung-yeon sports a short hairstyle and has an easy-going personality. How are you trying to establish your character since she seems to be similar to Eun-chan from "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince."

Ham: I heard that a lot from the people around me. Hopefully those thoughts will disappear once the drama goes on air because my character's personality and the incidents she experiences are different even though both characters are boyish and wear boxed tee-shirts.

10: This is the first time you're playing an adult role as well as being the main star of a show even though you were a child actress. What was it like working with the senior actors?

Ham: The chemistry between Kang and me...(laugh)

Kang: She means it was good. When idols like something they usually just laugh. (laugh)

Ham: It really is great. That laugh was unintentional -- I think it came out because I've been living like my character.

10: How high do you expect the ratings to be for the first episode?

Kang: I just wish that before the drama goes off air, it'll break the record set by previous Monday and Tuesday night dramas at least once, even if it may not be a big success.

Reporter: Lee Ga-on thirteen@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 11, 2010

SBS drama "Bad Boy" rescheduled to air on May 26

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010051013123078550_1.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

New TV series "Bad Boy" has been rescheduled to premiere on May 26, according to the show's broadcaster SBS on Monday.

SBS stated in a press release that "Boy," which was originally scheduled to air starting August 2, has been pulled up to show after current Wednesday and Thursday prime time series "Princess Prosecutor" finishes its run.

"Boy" will be replacing the drama tentatively titled "I Am Legend" that has been forced to delay its run after Kim Sun-a pulled out due to reasons relating to the production of the show. "Legend" instead will be taking over the Monday and Tuesday night time lineup "Boy" had formerly been slated to run in, succeeding romantic drama "Coffee House" which will be broadcast starting next week.

Twenty-part drama "Boy," starring Korean actors Kim Nam-gil and Han Ga-in, will be about the paths a man takes to achieve his secret ambitions. The show is helmed by famed director Lee Hyung-min whose previous works include "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School" and "I'm Sorry, I Love You."

Kim Nam-gil became well-known for his role as Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok" last year. He recently starred in the drama movie "Last Night" alongside actress Hwang Wooseulhye.

Han Ga-in made her debut in 2001 through KBS TV series "Sunshine Hunting." She has since starred in several other dramas including "Yellow Handkerchief" and "Super Rookie."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 11, 2010

Kwon Sang Woo: 'I Filmed Movie with Debut Mindset'

"I filmed this movie with the mindset I had when I debuted,” actor Kwon Sang Woo said at the production presentation for the movie “Into the Gunfire,” which was held on May 10 at Imperial Palace Hotel in Gangnam-gu, Seoul. He added, “Thanks to the veteran actors Kim Seung Woo and Cha Seung Won, I could film this movie successfully.”

7375_1153_l.jpg

Kwon Sang Woo portrayed the protagonist Kap Cho, a student soldier fighting against North Korean soldiers. The movie tells the story of battles fought between 71 student soldiers and North Korean soldiers. During the Korean War, the army led by Kang Seok Dae (Kim Seung Woo) had been withdrawn from Pohang to defend the Nakdong River area and left only 71 student soldiers behind. Among the students, Jang Bum (T.O.P) was appointed as a company commander, but his troops periodically caused friction with other soldiers led by Kap Cho. Park Moo Rang (Cha Seung Won), a commander of North Korean soldiers who devastated the Youngduk region with his 766 guerrilla troops, disobeyed the Communist Party’s order to advance to the Nakdong River, instead secretly changing course into Pohang and ending up fighting with the student soldiers who were left behind.

Kwon Sang Woo said, “I felt comfortable and excited because I filmed the movie with only male actors. I felt like as if I had become a member of the Boy Scouts. I was especially happy because I worked with outstanding actors.” He wore a school uniform again years after his movie “Once Upon A Time in High School (2004).” Kwon Sang Woo smiled, saying, “I was almost excluded from the cast members because I am too old.” He is 34 years old.

T.O.P, a member of the idol group “Big Bang,” debuted as a movie star with “Into the Gunfire” and said about the movie, “It was like I was going out to the playground for learning. Whenever I looked exhausted, other senior actors have given me great help. It was a good opportunity for me to become more mature through filming this movie.” Actor Kim Seung Woo, who worked with T.O.P again after the drama “IRIS,” evaluated T.O.P’s acting by saying, “When I watched him, I thought, ‘He completely became the character Jang Bum that he plays.’ He did better than I expected.”

All cast members including Kwon Sang Woo, T.O.P, Cha Seung Won, and Kim Seung Woo agreed that the filming itself was very exciting and interesting, but enduring the cold weather was the most difficult part.

Director Lee Jae Han, who has directed movies such as “A Moment To Remember” and “Sayonara Itsuka,” directed the movie. Lee said, “I tried to focus on creating a balance while I made this movie. As it is a war movie, I wanted to film battle scenes.”

A blockbuster war movie funded with an 11.3 billion won investment, “Into the Gunfire” will be released on June 17.

20100510144248277e5_144248_0.jpg

May 11, 2010

SS501 Kim Hyun-joong considering "IRIS" spin-off

Cho Bum-ja. Editor.Lucia Hong

20100329082259005321123_00000032_1_PA.jpg

Korean actor/singer Kim Hyun-joong [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer-actor Kim Hyun-joong is in talks to appear in the upcoming action TV series "Athena," the spin-off to last year's hit blockbuster drama "IRIS," according to the show's producer Taewon Entertainment on Tuesday.

"Kim is a strong candidate for the drama but we are currently in talks with his agency and nothing has been set as of now," a representative from Taewon told Asia Economic Daily over the phone. An official at Kim's agency DSP Entertainment expressed more optimism on behalf of the 23-year-old star. "We can't say anything is certain but Kim has shown great interest in "Athena" and it is true that he wants to take the role."

Taewon is eyeing the latter half of this year for the airing of "Athena," about terrorist acts and threats against the Korean Peninsula and the world. It will go into production starting in June in Italy and Switzerland and continue on into six other countries including Singapore and New Zealand.

Kim made his debut in 2005 as the leader of the five-member boy band SS501 and has also ventured onto the small screen appearing in the smash-hit drama "Boys Over Flowers" last year alongside actors Lee Min-ho and Ku Hye-sun. He is currently focusing on his singing career with his group who will be returning to the local music scene with a new album at the end of the month.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 11, 2010

[PREVIEW] SBS TV series "Coffee House"

Editor.Lynn Kim , Lee Ji-Hye Photographer.Chae ki-won

2010051111425063457_1.jpg

(From left) Director Pyo Min-soo, actors Kang Ji-hwan, Park Si-yeon, Ham Eun-jung and Jung Woong-in of TV series "Coffee House" [photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

SBS Monday/Tuesday evening drama "Coffee House"

Written by Song Jae-jung

Directed by Pyo Min-soo

Starring Kang Ji-hwan (as Lee Jin-soo), Park Si-yeon (as Seo Eun-young), Ham Eun-jung (as Kang Seung-yeon), Jeong Woong-in (as Han Ji-won), Park Jae-jung (as Kim Dong-wook) etc.

In one sentence Unemployed Seung-yeon (played by Ham Eun-jeong), who was studying to become a public officer, opens her eyes to the world of coffee and romance as she meets fussy writer Jin-soo (played by Kang Ji-hwan) and starts working as his assistant

Premiere date May 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM

This drama celebrates the meeting of director Pyo Min-soo, who previously made KBS dramas "The World That They Live In" and "Full House", and writer Song Jae-jung who penned MBC sitcom "High Kick!" and "KK Island" -- which indicates the blending of drama and sitcom elements in the show. This is the reason that one cannot jump to the conclusion that "Coffee House" is just an ordinary romantic comedy drama. The show's two main characters Seung-yeon, a girl with a sunny personality who wants to become a professional working woman, and Jin-soo, who is already a pro in his field, obviously follow the formula of a romantic comedy with their bickerings that eventually lead to their falling in love. However, the show attempts to display an element of reality as seen in sitcoms by, as director Pyo Min-soo explains, "having producers and actors each come up with half the writing and props for the show, which brings about many incidents that could happen in real life." And with Jin-soo's long-time friend and successful businesswoman Eun-young and her fiance Ji-son who pines for her affection, also pitch in their romance to viewers to increasingly entangle the story of "Coffee House."

Anticipation Quotient (1-10 points)

If you are looking forward to the coupledom of fussy Kang Ji-hwan and adorable Ham Eun-jung - 9 points

If you are worried that it will be like watching "Coffee Prince" and "Full House" - 7 points

2010051111425063457_2.jpg

Scenes from new TV series "Coffee House" [sBS]

Seung-yeon, who helps out at her parent's coffee shop "Palace Coffee" while studying to become a government worker, is just a jobless nobody. One rainy evening, she instantaneously falls in love with Jin-soo who happens to drop by "Palace Coffee" and starts working as his assistant after her schoolmate recommends her to Jin-soo. As she jumps into the world of professionals and tries to satisfy Jin-soo's picky taste in coffee, the amateur Seung-yeon begins seeing changes to her life. Novelist Jin-soo and book cafe owner Eun-young are long time friends who fight all the time but cannot sever their relationship because each knows how talented the other is.

The show takes off to an easy start since its theme -- books and coffee -- which is something that entices twenty- and thirty-something women and helps secure a solid target market. If the show's physical space -- coffee shop -- and the main character's profession -- which is a novelist -- blends well into the drama, "Coffee House" will be able to overcome the limitation of being a genre of a drama which is "a romance story which take place here-and-there." Just as recent MBC TV series "Pasta" had shown, in a refreshing way, the romance that takes place between its two main characters who worked in a hierarchy-ridden restaurant kitchen.

"Coffee House" reminds viewers of producer Pyo Min-soo's previous works -- "Full House" and MBC's "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" (Coffee Prince) -- because it has many similarities to the two hit dramas. Both are romantic comedies with fussy male characters and have titles ending in 'House,' and it seemed Pyo was taking on the challenge of creating his own 'House series' just as director Yoon Suk-ho made his seasonal series with "Autumn Tale" and "Winter Sonata." People started worrying that the new show might be "the second Coffee Prince" since it uses coffee as its topic and stars another female character who looks and acts like a tomboy. But Pyo has revealed that "Coffee House" has "no special connection to 'Full House' and the fastidious personality of Jin-soo (played by Kang Ji-hwan) is different from that of Young-jae (character in "Full House" played by Rain)." He further explained the unique charms of "Coffee House", which is different from the charms of "Coffee Prince," saying that he "wanted to tell the story about people who were alienated culturally." Ultimately, what director Pyo Min-soo worried the most about and worked on the hardest to achieve was 'how different' he could make the new story from his previous ones. Can "Coffee House" come up with a new formula for romantic comedies and kick off a successful start to the 'House series'?

Reporter: Lee Ga-on Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived