[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

May 3, 2010

Lee Jun-ki enters Korean military with apologies

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050314011081107_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki waves to fans ahead of entering the Korean military

on May 3, 2010. [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki entered the Korean army today, putting his acting career on hold for the next two years to fulfill his mandatory military duties.

The 28-year-old actor bid farewell to thousands of fans -- including many who flew in from overseas -- and reporters, who showed up at the Nonsan military training camp to see the star off.

With his trademark hair cut short to comply to standard military regulations, the actor appeared teary as he saluted his fans and apologized for his sudden departure and having to drop out from his prior work commitments. "This is very sudden but I am not too overwhelmed.. I feel relieved and excited.." the actor said. "I am sorry that I made the announcement rather suddenly in regards to work and the fans."

Lee, who was notified by Korea's military services to join the army during the year, had been trying to defer his military entrance date in order to wrap up shootings for the film "Grand Prix" and blockbuster drama "Faith". It was only last week that the actor found out he had no choice but to report to duty by May 3, and decided to pull out from both projects.

However, the actor, although "very disappointed," maintained a sense of humor about one thing. "I am going to eat everything I want when I go to the military. I was on a diet even until yesterday but now I can eat everything from Chinese noodles, Kimchi stew to hamburgers."

The actor will receive basic training at Nonsan camp for five weeks and later be assigned to a military base.

Lee, 28, debuted in 2001 as a model for fashion brand "SO BASIC" alongside actors Gang Dong-won and Kim Hee-seon.

He rose to mega-stardom after playing a woman-like clown in the 2005 hit film "The King and the Clown" and starred in many notable television dramas including "My Girl" (SBS, 2005), "Time Between Dog And Wolf" (MBC, 2007), "Iljimae" (SBS, 2008)" and most recently "Hero" (MBC, 2009).

2010050315542529667_1.jpg

Actor Lee Jun-ki speaks to reporters and fans ahead of entering the Nonsan training center in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on May 3, 2010. He will undergo a five-week basic training session as part of completing the country's two-year mandatory military service.

2010050315542529667_3.jpg

Actor Lee Jun-ki salutes fans ahead of entering the Nonsan training center in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on May 3, 2010. He will undergo a five-week basic training session as part of completing the country's two-year mandatory military service.

2010050316011980052_1.jpg

Actor Lee Jun-ki smiles ahead of entering the Nonsan training center in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on May 3, 2010. He will undergo a five-week basic training session as part of completing the country's two-year mandatory military service.

2010050316011980052_2.jpg

Actor Lee Jun-ki rubs his shaven head ahead of entering the Nonsan training center in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on May 3, 2010. He will undergo a five-week basic training session as part of completing the country's two-year mandatory military service.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 / 2 / 3

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 3, 2010

Kang Hye-jung gives birth to baby girl

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050315100529989_1.jpg

Korean actress Kang Hye-jung and singer Tablo of Epik High [YG Entertainment]

Korean actress Kang Hye-jung, who is married to Epik High singer Tablo, gave birth to a daughter over the weekend, according to a press release by her agency YG Entertainment on Sunday.

Tablo also wrote on his Twitter account yesterday that "a beautiful baby girl was born on May 2, 11:05 a.m.", adding that "both Hye-jung and baby are healthy." The remarks were written just minutes after Kang gave birth on Sunday, or as Tablo called it, "the day of mysterious miracles."

The new father appeared ecstatic with the birth of their first child, saying "the sound of the baby's breathing is the most beautiful thing in the world" and thanked his wife, whom he described "the best woman in the world." The two, who started dating since meeting at Epik High's Christmas concert in 2008, tied the knot last October, when Kang was several months pregnant.

Known for taking risky, unconventional movie roles, Kang became a household name after appearing in the critically acclaimed film "Old Boy" by Park Chan-wook, which won the Grand Prix award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2004.

Tablo is the leader of popular hip hop group Epik High, who debuted in 2003 with the album "Map of the Human Soul". The group gained popularity and critical acclaim with the success of their consequent albums "High Society", "Swan Songs" and most recently "epilogue".

Reporter: Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 3, 2010

Lee Jun-ki’s short haircut for army

100503_pm_lee.jpg

Korean movie star Lee Jun-ki, 29, is now leaving his acting career for the military service. Lee enlisted himself at the Nonsan Military Training Center on May 3.

Before entering the camp, he shyly showed his new short cut hairstyle in a press conference.He was to join his new movie this year; however, he got a final notice of military duty on April 28 that he could not postpone anymore.

Meanwhile, Lee will begin his five weeks of training, and will be assigned to the Army for 22 months. The actor showed his strong determination, saying, "I would not think of my age and will do my best to fulfill the duty."

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

Lee Joon-ki Starts His Military Training

e100503_01.jpg

It was a sad for fans of actor Lee Joon-ki, as he had to answer to the call of his country through serving his mandatory military sentence. Lee showed up on May 3rd, at 1 PM in South Chungcheong province to start his training period. Lee, who is 28 years old, had 500 fans show up to support him.

Fans of the star from the hit film "The King and the Clown" came from all over including Korea, Taiwan, Japan, China, and Hong Kong. Lee was so moved by the love and support that reports indicated he appeared to be teary-eyed.

Lee expressed his gratitude towards his fans and said that though it felt strange to have to say good-bye, that he'd do his best during his sentence. He talked about the project that he was signed on for until recently (due to his military sentence). He said that though he was sad about not being able to participate on it, he didn't want to push off his mandatory service any longer. He apologized to his fans for pulling out of the movie and assured them that he would return with an even greater project. He continued on to say that as a Korean male, this was something he had to do. When asked if he was planning on entering the separate military sector designated for celebrities, he replied that he didn't know and that it wasn't up to him. He added that to make up for his late entry, he would serve his term even that much harder.

Lee had also participated in a photo shoot the day before before he cut his hair short for military duty. He said it was for his fans to see him one last time with longer hair.

The military training that starts May 3rd will last for five weeks before he receives his assignment. Lee Jun-ki fans will have to look forward to February of 2012 which is when he is set to be discharged.

Source: KBS Global

May 3, 2010

Arirang TV to present global K-pop show

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

English broadcaster Arirang TV has a new music show "The M-Wave'' that will hopefully satisfy those searching for a bit more K-Pop.

100503_p14_arirang.jpg

Cheondoong, left, a member of pop group MBLAQ, and Krystal, a member of girl band f(x),

host the new K-pop show “The M-Wave”on Arirang TV. The program airs every Sunday at 6 p.m. / Courtesy of Arirang TV

The show will air every Sunday at 6 p.m., and be broadcast in more than 180 countries, introducing new groups and tracks from the local music scene, while featuring some of the most popular bands. Hosted by girl group f(x)'s Krystal and Cheondoong from MBLAQ, the show had its first shoot last week, and it was evident the two newcomers were apprehensive hosting such a big program.

The two stood on a high platform clutching cue sheets in their hands and nervously memorizing their lines. "This is the M-Wave!'' they shouted to the camera with big smiles. After a couple of attempts, the "guy with rhythm'' and the "girl with style'' finally finished their first take. "`I'm so glad to be hosting a show with Cheondoong, and we will both do our best to bring the best. It's been a while since I spoke in English for so long and I thought it would be awkward. But after a few takes, I think I got used to it,'' Krystal, 16, said during an interview after filming.

While Krystal seemed to get more comfortable as time went by, it was Cheondoong who went through a difficult time with his lines. The 19-year-old released his tension with subtle dance moves and jokes, but took some time getting down his lines. "I was so nervous! I'm not good at public speaking in general, and so I'm grateful to everyone who went through my awkwardness and mistakes. I'll make sure I get better,'' he said, laughing.

The two singers both have experience abroad: Krystal was born and raised in the United States, while Cheondoong was born in Korea, but grew up in the Philippines. Another similarity of the two is that they both have siblings working in the entertainment industry: Krystal is the sister of Girls' Generation member Jessica, while Cheondoong's sister is Sandara Park, member of girl group 2NE1. "My sister sent me a text message yesterday night. I think she couldn't believe that her younger brother was hosting a music show. Her message read "Wow, but you're such a baby,''' he said.

Instead of simply broadcasting music videos and having top singers perform on stage, "The M-Wave'' is looking for some interaction from its Asian viewers. Arirang TV has joined various music channels around Asia, including Channel [v], to offer a non-stop music show, while viewers around the world can log on to the program's Web site and chat with their favorite K-pop singers through Skype during the "SKY TALK'' sequence.

Another interesting part of the show is "Hello K-POP,'' where a VJ or the host will present Korean songs that made it to music charts in different countries. For more information on the show, visit www.arirang.co.kr/TV2/Mwave/ or check out the program's Twitter at www.twitter.com/themwave2010.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

May 4, 2010

Jang Dong Gun and Go So Young Couple Wed

Top star couple Jang Dong Gun and Go So Young were married on May 2 with the blessings of other actors and actresses.

7369_1134_l.jpg

At the wedding, which was performed as a private ceremony in the Dynasty Hall of Shilla Hotel in Jangchung Dong, about 500 guests attended, including family members and other celebrities such as actor Lee Byung Hun, Jung Woo Sung, Kim Nam Gil, and star couple Kwon Sang Woo and Sohn Tae Young.

Older movie star Park Joong Hoon presided over the wedding, and the former Minister of Culture Lee Uh Ryung--the father of director Lee Seung Moo who directed the movie “The Warrior's Way” in which Jang Dong Gun appeared as the main actor--officiated the wedding. Also, singer Shin Seung Hoon sang for the wedding. The fact that the executive director of Shilla Hotel, Lee Boo-jin, undertook the flower decoration of the wedding hall drew attention.

Jang Dong Gun and Go So Young couple stayed the night at Shilla Hotel and then went on a honeymoon to Bali in Indonesia on the following day, May 3. They set up their home in a villa located in Heukseok Dong in Seoul.

Prior to the wedding, Jang Dong Gun said during the photo session, “I have appreciated the great interest that you have shown so far, but, at the same time, it is true that the great interest has made us uncomfortable. However, today, I really appreciate everything. I swear that we will live happily ever after.”

The wedding ceremony was held under tight security that restricted the entrance of the managers of attending stars, and the surrounding area was crowded with about 200 Japanese fans and 300 news reporters.

Newlyweds Jang Dong-gun, Ko So-young at airport

2010050411151839385_1.jpg

Ko So-young, Jang Dong-gun [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, newlyweds actress Ko So-young and actor Jang Dong-gun depart for their Bali honeymoon at Incheon International Airport in South Korea on May 3, 2010.

2010050411151839385_2.jpg

Ko So-young, Jang Dong-gun [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2010050301020_2.jpg

2010050301020_3.jpg

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / englishnews@chosun.com

May 4, 2010

Actor Sues Wife's Lawyer for Defamation

2010050401108_0.jpg

Park Sang-min (left) and his wife Han Na-rae (file photo)

Park Sang-min, perhaps best known for starring in the 1990 film "The General's Son," is suing his estranged wife Han Na-rae's lawyer for defamation.

Park is seeking W500 million (US$1=W1,118) in compensation over the lawyer's constant comments to the media during their divorce proceedings. Immediately after it was announced that the couple are divorcing, the lawyer "told the press that my wife wants divorce me because of my violence and drunken rages," Park writes in the complaint. "This seriously damaged my image, and my involvement in a new drama which just started shooting is at risk."

Park and Han, the former host of EBS TV's "World News," married in November 2007. They have no children.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

May 4, 2010

Lee Min-ho's Facebook attracts half-million fans worldwide

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050412592495363_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho's official Facebook page [Facebook]

Korean actor Lee Min-ho is making news for attracting over half a million fans to his official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/OfficialLeeMinho), according to his agency Starhaus Entertainment. "We set up an official fan network to prevent social networking piracy for people overseas and it is getting a great response," said an official at Starhaus, referring to the recent fake Twitter incident that Lee had warned his fans about.

The fake account had reportedly accumulated over 60,000 followers who thought it had been opened up by the actor. The actor currently has over 540,000 members on his Facebook page, a popular social networking site that connects and enables interaction among Internet users around the world.

Many celebrities nowadays use the site to communicate with their fans; Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio currently has about 296,831 members for his page while the figure for Korean pop group Wonder Girls stands at 241,294. Lee's Facebook page features various information about the actor including the films, commercials and various charity campaigns he has taken part in for UNICEF and Good Downloader.

Users' log-in statistics revealed that most of Lee's Facebook loyals are composed of fans from overseas, particularly Asia. While Korean fans only accounted for 3 percent of the membership, a whopping 72 percent of users were known to be from Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines as well as Canada and France. The remaining 25 percent of members were from the United States.

Although the members' communication on Lee's page are mostly conducted in English, many fans provide translations of comments written in other languages in order to exchange comments about their favorite star.

Lee, 22, rose to mega-stardom after starring in the smash hit "Boys Over Flowers" last year and currently stars in the MBC TV series "Personal Taste" alongside Korean actress Son Ye-jin.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Actor Lee Min-ho : Most Popular Korean Celebrity On Facebook

Actor Lee Min-ho, currently starring in the drama "Personal Taste", but best known for his role as Goo Joon-pyo in the drama "Boys Over Flowers", is drawing attention for his fan base on the popular social networking site, Facebook. As of May 5th, he currently has over 544,420 fans worldwide that are subscribed to his official Facebook account. This is a new record for any Korean star! Although this may not sound like a big deal when compared to some of the big Hollywood stars, it's still quite a notable amount. To put things into perspective, US actor Leonardo Dicaprio has about 296,831 fans while Korean group Wondergirls has about 241,294 fans to their name.

When broken down, his Facebook fans are made up of 25% Americans, 3% Koreans, and the remaining 72% of fans from 16 southeast Asian countries (including Taiwan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Indonesia) plus Canada and France. Though there are obviously some language barriers, due to fans being able to translate any information or updates from Lee in real time, this has not slowed down the Lee Min-ho fever.

Lee's representative voiced that the response from fans to Lee to connecting with them through the site have been great. Also, keeping in mind that Koreans aren't as active on Facebook compared to people from other countries, Lee's reps said that they hope time would change that, thus only increasing his fan base.

May 4, 2010

Jang Dong-gun pic "My Way" delays shooting till October

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050414503637191_1.jpg

Newlyweds Jang Dong-gun (right) and Ko So-young seen leaving for their honeymoon

at Incheon International Airport on May 3, 2010 [Asia Economic Daily]

It appears that Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun will have more time to invest in his new family as the shooting for his film "My Way" has been delayed until the fall.

A source close to Jang -- who married Korean actress Ko So-young on May 2 -- said that he was scheduled to start shooting "Way" in early July but it has been pushed back until "sometime after October." The source went onto say, "Since he doesn't have any major work commitments till then, I think he will focus on prenatal education," referring to the baby that Ko is fourth months pregnant with.

"Way", directed by Kang Je-gyu of Jang's 2004 blockbuster hit "Taegukgi", is about an Asian soldier who was captured by the Japanese army and later turned over to the German Nazis during World War II. Korean actress Son Ye-jin has been cast as the female lead while producers are also said to be talking with multi-talented Japanese star Kimura Takuya.

Last January, Jang had undergone knee surgery for the film and there was even talk that he had moved up his wedding to May in order to start working on "Way" in July. Jang, one of Korea's top actors who has starred in numerous television dramas and movies, has been making headlines with his personal life over the past few months.

The famously private actor surprised the country last November when he went public with his two-year romance with Ko, his co-star in the 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song." The announcement immediately spread rumors of an impending marriage although it wasn't until March that Jang officially told his fans at a fan meeting that he would be marrying Ko in May.

After months of media frenzy leading up to their nuptials, the two tied the knot last Sunday in an extravagant wedding ceremony which was attended by their A-list celebrity friends, swarms of reporters and fans from around the world. They are currently on their honeymoon in Bali.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Jang-Ko fever doesn’t end with the wedding

04185119.jpg

The frenzy surrounding thespian celebrity couple Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young's wedding didn't end when all their guests went home: eager fans are following the couple to their honeymoon to Bali, Indonesia.

But as Ko is four months pregnant, the couple is hoping for some peace and quiet for few months to focus on prenatal health. Jang was planning to shoot a new movie, "My Way," starting in June, but as the filming has been pushed back to October, he now has five months of time on his hands. So the actor wants to spend that time with his new wife and unborn child.

One of Jang's close associates said that Jang has had a lot on his plate lately, particularly with preparation for the wedding. Now he can pause for a little break. "Jang won't have any other schedule for now, which will allow him to take a good rest at the honeymoon," Jang's associate said. Still, it appears that the worries associated with fatherhood are already setting in. Jang chose Bali as their honeymoon destination, considering the fact that his wife is four months pregnant and long flights would particularly strenuous. He is also taking two of his managers just to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Another one of his associates said that Jang has packed foot-massage oil and some CDs on prenatal education. And apparently, the couple has already decorated a baby room at their new house for the child who will definitely cause a frenzy of his or her own in November.

By Yim Seung-hye [estyle@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

May 4, 2010

Im Sang-soo says Jeon Do-youn is "full-fledged artist"

Reporter.Lee Ji-Hye Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Jessica Kim

2010050415062831853_1.jpg

From left, "The Housemaid" cast Lee Jung-jae, Seo Woo, Yoon Yeo-jung, Jeon Do-youn and director Im Sang-soo

pose during a press screening held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on May 3, 2010.

[Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

What opened film "The Housemaid" was not the majestic mansion nor the elegant trail of a noblewoman's skirt we had seen through the still images or previews of the film revealed up till now. The film rather draws on women in a hurriedly-set up food alley in a new city who are cooking meat or handing out flyers to passers-by. And the moment the camera focuses on Eun-yi (played by Jeon Do-youn), the only character who is seen smiling, one starts to feel an anticipation mixed with anxiety to see how this seemingly innocent female will change once she wears the clothes of a housemaid. Like director Im Sang-soo said -- "I believe it isn't a remake of the original film" -- the new version of "The Housemaid" revealed at a press screening on Monday was quite different from the original production helmed by the late director Kim Ki-young. The 2010 version of "The Housemaid," which adopts its characters from its original film from 50 years ago, strongly poses the question of what it means to live like a human being by depicting on Eun-yi's struggles. Below are excerpts from the press screening of the film which is set for release on May 13.

2010050415062831853_4.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn and actor Lee Jung-jae [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Was there anything about the film that you meant to keep or add newly while re-creating "The Housemaid" for the first time in 50 years?

Im Sang-soo: I had watched director Kim Ki-young's "The Housemaid" but I put in an effort to, and actually managed to, forget about the original version. I regarded this version as making my own story based on the characters from the original film, not as shooting a remake.

Q: I think the shocking skin-baring scenes will become the talk of the town once it's released in theaters.

Jeon Do-youn: I have to express myself with my body because I'm an actor but I became a bit frustrated while shooting this film. It was frustrating because when I tried to express something, I felt like I wasn't in complete control of my own body. So that's what I tried to overcome. I tried to make it [acting] seem natural and treat it as if it was nothing.

Im: Jeon went through fire and water for this film. It was important that the actress does not think about how much skin she shows or hides, nor the commercial aspect to her revealing scenes but that she just be as natural as possible. I was so grateful that Jeon read into my mind in that aspect.

Q: Hoon, the wealthy owner of the mansion who has an affair with his housemaid Eun-yi, is not coherent in that he looks mild-mannered on the outside but is also evil and weak. Such a male character is not seen too often in Korean films.

Lee Jung-jae: I myself haven't seen such a role before. All I can say is that he's a weird character but the director increasingly asked for more in-depth expression regarding my role. He would write new lines for him and also ask that he be more clownish in some part while more mean in others. At the time I didn't want to do what I was told to and had doubts (laugh), but I think he was aiming at making the two housemaids feel more humiliated. And if that's the role I had been set to play in the film, I told myself that I might as well do as I've been told by the director or pushing it even a bit more. That's how the character you saw today came about. (laugh)

Im: Hoon isn't actually a bad guy. He's gentle and although he might have some thoughts of his own, but everyone [in this world] is similarly bad. Hera too does a few things which could seem wrong but it's mainly caused by her mother who keeps emphasizing reality. Nobody is a bad person in this movie.

2010050415062831853_5.jpg

Actresses Seo Woo and Yoon Yeo-jung [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: There is so much symbolism we can find from character Byung-shik that it seems that the film's title may actually refer to her.

Yoon Yeo-jung: Jeon is a housemaid from the new generation but I'm a housemaid down to the bone. The line that stood out for me in the first script I got was "We all have the housemaid spirit within us." It pricked my conscience because it felt like it was directed to me. (laugh) Aren't we all like that -- those of us from the older generation? Doesn't our generation seem like that to the audience too? I tried to express Byung-shik as someone from my generation.

Im: In a way, Eun-yi may be very pretty and cute and one may feel sorry for her, but her character may be unrealistic. But Byung-shik was someone who she herself may be or at least around us. 'The housemaid spirit within us' was one of the keywords to this film and she [byung-shik] was the character who would show that.

Q: Working with such an impressive array of actors could not have been just fun. You must have felt a lot of pressure too.

Seo Woo: The first time we ate together, I remember suffering from indigestion, just like Lee said he did. (laugh) My character He-rah doesn't play a big role in the film but I thought she was important so I became so worried after the meal that I cried a lot too. During the shoot itself I was amazed watching my seniors act -- how they could act in such a way. I learned a lot from how they acted in accordance to the director's directions.

Q: The overall atmosphere of the film is extremely posh, including Hoon and Hera's mansion which is the main backdrop for the film.

Im: Kim Ki-young's original film, shot in the 1960s, contains the social and economical situation of those times. It's when the middle class started to form in Korea and a lot of younger people were moving to the city due to the economical gap between the city and farming areas. Of them, women became housemaids who served not only for the rich but also the middle class and that issue had served as the basis to Kim Ki-young's work. What I realized upon reworking "The Housemaid" in 50 years was that there are much more wealthy people now, people who are millionaires. So I think that was reflected in the film. But while there are people who will drink a bottle of wine that costs millions of wons and hang up pictures worth billions, there has been a dissolution in the lower portion of the middle class. It's shown in the beginning of the film but I wanted to depict the reality in which housewives from normal families have to undertake hard work too and maybe work at restaurants.

2010050415062831853_6.jpg

Director Im Sang-soo [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: What was it like expressing the life of people in the extreme upper class society and housemaids, all of which none of you have actually experienced before?

Lee: I tried my best to act as shameless as I could and to bring out what the director wanted as best as I could. It was the first time I was taking on such a role so I had been a bit reluctant to play it in the beginning and even after I had set my mind, there were some scenes which were difficult to shoot. But I do still think I had a lot of fun.

Jeon: Actors are always placed in situations and emotions they have never experienced. We act out what we haven't experienced so we do as we film.

Im: Lee and I actually had an emergency meeting after the first shoot, discussing what he should do amongst the actresses, and we decided that he should put up a good defense by throwing jabs rather than attempting to throw a K.O. punch and end up missing. (laugh) What you saw today was the result of that, and jabs are actually more scary. Even Jeon shot this film in a short time and not in order either. I became marveled at how she could shoot two completely different scenes back-to-back with completely different body language. I'm an aspiring artist while Jeon is a full-fledged artist.

Q: I think your experience of getting married and giving birth must have helped a lot in portraying the maternal instinct your character Eun-yi shows.

Jeon: I think solely of myself when I'm in shoot. I didn't feel more motherly because I have a child of my own. I think I'm someone who just has that within me. When I asked director Lee Chang-dong why he had cast me for "Secret Sunshine," he said it's because he felt that I would have the strongest maternal instinct. (laugh) I shot solely with what I have within me, without considering the fact that I have a child.

Q: You'll be leaving for the Cannes International Film Festival in just a few days with your film which will be in Competition.

Im: We're going to Cannes thanks to director Kim Ki-young and Jeon Do-youn. Cannes is a serious film fest where mostly serious directors with their serious films go to, so being someone who isn't serious at all, it's thrilling to be going. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty confident that our film will be the least boring out of the films that will be shown in the Competition category. (laugh)

Jeon: This will be my second time going to Cannes -- I had been a bit disappointed the first time because I was so nervous that I hadn't been able to enjoy myself. I'm going to put my mind at ease this time and just enjoy myself.

Lee: I had seen it a lot through the press or on television but it'll be the first time I'm going to Cannes so I'm nervous but also excited about it. I'm hoping I'l have fun.

Yoon: First of all, I'm happy to get to visit the city of Cannes for the first time. (laugh) Director Kim Ki-young is the one who should have been there a long time ago but he hadn't. And for someone like me in my generation, I had heard of the film fest but never thought I'd actually get to go. Kim Ki-young would have gone if he was alive so I'd just like to think that I'm going in his place. It's a bit sad now that I think of it... (laugh)

Seo Woo: I am extremely honored that our film is going to Cannes. I wouldn't have even dared imagining it but I'm so happy to have taken part in a film that is going to Cannes.

Reporter: Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010050416250539997_1.jpg

From left, actress Jeon Do-youn and actor Lee Jung-jae pose during a photo session of a press screening for film "The Housemaid" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on May 3, 2010.

2010050416250539997_2.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn and actor Lee Jung-jae [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

2010050416223214669_1.jpg

From left, director Im Sang-soo, actor Lee Jung-jae and actress Jeon Do-youn talk to each other during a press screening for film "The Housemaid" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on May 3, 2010.

2010050416223214669_2.jpg

Actresses Seo Woo and Jeon Do-youn [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

From left, actresses Seo Woo and Jeon Do-youn share a laugh at a press screening for film "The Housemaid" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on May 3, 2010.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

May 5, 2010

Drama 'Giant’ to show Korea's boom years

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

100504_ssongB1.jpg

SBS’ new drama "Giant" spans over 30 years, and both makers and actors hope it will captivate viewers.

The 50-episode television series revolves around young and passionate characters making a living and searching for their goals and love in Seoul during the busy 1970s. "It was a bit of a burden as I had to act a character whose life span ranges from his 20s to his 50s," Lee Beom-soo, who plays the main character Lee Gang-mo, said during a press conference Tuesday. "But I thought I would give it a try," he added with a smile.

Seoul was in the middle of a huge transition during the 1970s, both socially and financially, thus giving birth to various stories and incidents regarding poverty, priorities and success. Lee Gang-mo was in the middle of all three. Born to a poor family in the late 1950s, Lee loses his father in a mysterious murder right after birth. The young Lee struggles to make a living and finally takes his ill mother and sister to a small motel and continues to make ends meet by begging and singing in the streets. One night, he buys some briquettes to heat up the room but the motel owner accidentally causes a gas leak, killing those inside, including Lee’s mother. The heartbroken Lee vows that he will never be poor again and begins his lifelong journey toward success.

Like any other rags-to-riches story, or typical Korean drama, there is always a twist regarding competitors and lovers.

Actress Park Jin-hee plays Lee’s love interest Hwang Jeong-yeon, another passionate character with a family secret. "This is my first period drama, so I’ve been so nervous over the past few weeks. I never played a cold and serious character before, so I had so many thoughts in my head," Park said.

The drama features the highlights of the city’s development, bringing politics, power and money to the small screen. Money was all it took to gain power, and so, many, including Lee, had every reason to fight for it no matter what. "The drama 'Giant’ is based on one man’s success story, who made it through the dangerous urban jungle thanks to his wisdom and courage. We hope the drama will bring a sense of joy and comfort to viewers. Moreover, the show will also help people realize the true meaning of success in this corrupt world we live in today," SBS said through a press release.

NISI20100504_0002695078_web.jpg

The series may have been anticipated by some, but for one actress, this was the drama that would help prove her potential. "Hwang Jung-eum, who instantly shot to stardom after starring in the hit sitcom "High Kick 2," will appear as Lee’s younger sister. "For a while, I lost interest in acting. I didn’t have any confidence but 'High Kick’ helped me regain my strength,’’ she told reporters when asked about her successful year as the perky university student. The 25-year-old has quite a long career as an actress ― appearing in a number of dramas, including "East of Eden" and "Winter Bird" ― but it was not until the sitcom that she finally became a household name. "It’s been a while since I worked on a full one-hour drama, and I do hope everything goes well. I never had a serious interest in acting when I was younger, but now I really want to do well. I’m sure I’ll grow as an actor through 'Giant’,’’ she said.

With high hopes of winning the hearts of viewers, the new soap "Giant" will first air on May 10 at 9:50 on SBS.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

2010050500419_0.jpg

Hwang Jung-eum (left) and Park Jin-hee leave hand prints at a press event for their drama “Giant” in Seoul on Tuesday.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com, close-up photos here

May 5, 2010

Actor Kim Jun-seong on ‘Late Autumn’

20100505000204_0.jpg

When it comes to Kim Jun-seong, expect the unexpected.

After rubbing shoulders with Chinese starlet Tang Wei and hunk Hyun Bin in “Late Autumn” (working title), the actor reveals what’s next on his to-do list. “I want to play a woman,” the 34-year-old said in an e-mail interview with The Korea Herald.

He could be joking. Then again, he might be serious. His unpredictable career path makes it hard to tell. After studying philosophy and economics at North Carolina’s Wake Forest University, the collegiate tennis player settled for a job in finance. For a moment it looked like he was on a set path. Then he quit. “I was taking some time off trying to figure out what to do with my life,” he explained. “And someone introduced me to the director of ‘The Rocky Horror Show.’ When we started performing, I felt a strange sensation of liberation and freedom.”

The year was 2001. Kim has been acting ever since. For those who witnessed his riveting performance as a Korean-American thug in “West 32nd” (2007), Kim might come off like a natural. He is the first to dispel such notions. “Are you kidding me?” he balked. “Did you ever see my early works? My Korean sucked, my acting sucked.” “I believed in my potential, but I was starting late, so I really started to work hard on my acting,” he added. The hard work paid off. After several stints as a rich kid, Kim tackled a broader range of roles, heating up the silver screen as an adulterer opposite Lee Mi-yeon in “Love Exposure” (2007) and crossing swords with Song Il-gook in SBS’ “The Lobbyist” (2007).

His acting breakthrough came with “West 32nd,” which was filmed prior to “The Lobbyist.” “That’s when I really got into what people called ‘method acting,’ living as the character to prepare (for) the role,” he said. According to “West 32nd” director Michael Kang, Kim “found real life counterparts” to his character and began hanging out with them while rehearsing in New York.

Kang revealed that Kim arrived in character and was “quite intimidating,” embodying “a street-level gangster from the get-go.” “Now that I look back on it knowing what a sweetheart Jun is, I think it’s pretty funny that I was ever scared of him,” Kang wrote via e-mail.

Kim’s latest film, “Late Autumn,” may be more in synch with his gentle persona. In this remake of director Lee Man-hee’s 1966 original, Kim plays the heroine’s first love, a role he was happy to take on, partly because Ang Lee’s “Lust, Caution” actress Tang Wei was playing the lead. “I didn’t hesitate to do the movie,” Kim said. “I get to play a Chinese guy first of all, which is really cool. I also get to act opposite Tang Wei.”

“Just acting with her, makes me want to do my best,” he said. Of co-star Hyun, Kim said that he “didn’t have many scenes with” him and that he was “quiet at first.” Once they broke the ice, Kim discovered “he is a man’s man.” “There is something very immovable about him, like a tree,” he said. “And it shows in his acting, because it comes off as very natural and genuine.”

The upcoming flick, shot in Seattle and slated to hit theaters worldwide in autumn, touches upon the pasts of Tang’s and Hyun’s characters. “Kim’s character plays a big part in the history of Tang’s role,” said “Late Autumn” co-producer Yoo Eun-jung.

Now with filming over, Kim is in Los Angeles, trying to break into Hollywood under the moniker Jun Kim.

Why?  

“I felt like I needed a change,” he said.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

May 6, 2010

Fan clubs grow into forces of nature

05220209.jpg

Fans of the boy band 2PM take pictures of their idols at the “Anycall Corby Family Festival” concert

in Olympic Park in southeastern Seoul late last month. Some fans have turned against the band

after it ejected one member, Park Jae-beom, in February, and are boycotting companies that sponsor

the band. Park had to quit because he posted negative comments about Korea on the Internet. [NEWSIS]

It started out like an ordinary business day in February for Lee Sang-min and other members of the public relations team at Orion Confectionery, a local snack maker. But as soon as business hours began, the quiet was shattered by an explosion of phone calls and faxes.

Lee now remembers it as “the day it became official that Park Jae-beom was leaving.” Park was a member of the boy band 2PM who was forced to quit the group after it was revealed he had posted negative comments about Korea on MySpace years earlier. The calls and faxes were from Jae-beom fans, demanding Orion terminate its marketing contracts with 2PM as retaliation against the group’s management agency, JYP Entertainment. “We ended up turning off the fax machine. Ever since then, we’ve been watching 2PM and their moves closely.” After that chaotic day, Lee said the company even received handwritten letters from fans.

05220328.jpg

An association of nationwide fan clubs of idol group 2PM stage a demonstration to pressure

JYP Entertainment to bring back Park Jae-beom, a former member, to the band. About 2,000 fans

gathered in front of JYP Entertainment headquarters in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul, for the protest

in September 2009. [JoongAng Ilbo]

When the snack manufacturer signed on with the up-and-coming idol group last year, Lee had no idea what he would be getting himself into. At first, fans would frantically upload posts about snacks endorsed by 2PM as if analyzing a new IT gadget. But after that fateful day in February, their attitude changed. Enraged with the agency’s decision, about 50 nationwide 2PM fan clubs formed an association and declared a boycott of every product endorsed by the band so as to pressure JYP Entertainment to bring Park back.

Also on 2PM fans’ boycott list: the family restaurant chain Bennigan’s, whose local operation is an affiliate of Orion Confectionery. Far from the pliable cash machines they once were, fan clubs today can be powerful pressure groups. All three of Korea’s major show biz management agencies: SM Entertainment, YG Entertainment and JYP - have liaison divisions to work exclusively with fan clubs.

JYP Entertainment tried to calm furious fans by inviting about 90 selected club organizers to a closed meeting with 2PM members, the first time such a meeting had been arranged for anyone but reporters or industry officials. “The relationship with the fans is pretty important. That’s why we invited them and let them ask 2PM members questions,” said Han Su-jeong, head of the fan club liaison team at JYP. But that gesture failed to cool tempers. Fans kept up the boycott and even took to the streets to stage demonstrations against JYP. A powerful entity, JYP raked in 10.1 billion won ($9.1 million) in sales in 2009 alone. Although Lee at Orion said the boycott didn’t affect sales, a break like this one between a fan club and an entertainment agency would once have been unheard of.

05220618.jpg

Top left: An ad balloon cheering on actor Lee Jun-ki on the day his military service began. Provided by the Lee Jun-ki Gallery

Top Right: Fan clubs of singer and actor Kim Hyung-joong established a fund for college students and the disabled in February. Provided by the Beautiful Foundation

Above: Fan clubs of the boy band TVXQ placed this front-page ad in the local daily newspaper Hankyoreh in September last year to support the band in its legal struggle against its agency SM Entertainment.

Why now? The demographics of idol fans are changing. Once, fans were mostly young students who were content to send love letters or jars of paper cranes as a token of their love for their favorite stars. But today, an growing segment of the fan population is in their 20s, 30s, even 40s and 50s.

Men in their 30s and 40s devoted to teen girl groups like Girls’ Generation have come to be known as samchon (uncle) fans. The female equivalent is yimo, or aunt, fans. “With Girls’ Generation, I guess people of all ages, even men in their late 30s and 40s, have started to join fan clubs,” said Kim Eun-ah, head of a public relations team at SM Entertainment, which was Korea’s biggest entertainment agency by revenue last year thanks to its popular idol acts including Girls’ Generation, Super Junior and TVXQ.

Kim said fans shape public opinion and move the market. “If you look at the Jae-beom case, you know how important [fan clubs] are.” Unlike teenage fans, these economically active adults are willing to open - or close - their wallets if they think it’s in the best interest of their beloved stars.

But fans don’t just use their financial independence to protest. Most recently, fans of singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong, who starred in the hit TV drama “Boys Over Flowers” (2009), established a scholarship fund for the disabled in Kim’s name. Kim Jin-ah at the nonprofit Beautiful Foundation, which runs the fund, said, “They are mostly women in their 20s and 30s. They said they wanted to contribute to society in the name of their favorite star.”

The Kids and Future Foundation even launched a campaign called “Love for Stars, Love for Donation” March last year to persuade fan clubs to donate. Lee Young-mi, on the foundation’s public relations team, said it had been “a great success so far.”

05220851.jpg

Left: Fans of singer Seo Tai-ji congratulate Seo on his 38th birthday with an ad on a screen

in the shopping district of Shibuya in Tokyo in February. Provided by [T]amo

Right: Japanese fans of actor Bae Yong-joon pick up trash in downtown Chuncheon,

where Bae’s hit TV drama “Winter Sonata” was filmed. [JoongAng Ilbo]

Fans have also adopted the practice of placing newspaper advertisements to voice their support and displeasure. Costs vary depending on the publication and size, but running an ad at the bottom of a page in a daily newspaper typically starts at 10 million won ($8,970).

Fans of the boy band TVXQ placed a front-page ad in a local daily newspaper in September 2009 to support members in the midst of a legal feud with their agency SM Entertainment. The ad accused SM of overworking the boys after three of the five members spoke out, calling their 13-year contracts unfair and unethical.

In August last year, some clubs even filed a petition with the National Human Rights Commission of Korea, accusing SM of violating TVXQ members’ human rights. Followers of singer Seo Tai-ji have participated in public hearings on musical copyright law and have taken legal action against artists who parody Seo’s songs.

When G-Dragon, a member of the idol band Big Bang, released his first solo album in August, fans bought stacks and stacks and visited news agencies and broadcast stations to hand out copies. Fans of M.C. Mong, singer and host of a hit variety TV program, went further. “When some songs by M.C. Mong were leaked before their official release last year, fans visited every single peer-to-peer Web site and persuaded netizens not to download them,” said Kim Min-jeong, a public relations official for IS Entertainment Group, who has been working with M.C. Mong for the past 10 years.

“We have another singer, Min Kyung-hoon. And thanks to his fans, we are gaining weight every day,” laughed Kim. “His fans even prepared 200 fancy lunches the other day for staff members working at a concert. “Without them, you can’t even think about getting the attention of the general public. I feel like they are not fans but great supporters or partners,” Kim said.

Wired Korea plays another big role in helping fan clubs integrate the older generation. “Without the Internet, it’s hard to imagine associating with other fans living in other parts of Korea,” said Roh Kil-sook, 41, who organized the fan club “Great Birth” for singer Cho Yong-pil, who recently celebrated his 60th birthday and is considered the first singer to bring “groupie culture” to Korea.

Roh, who lives in Yangjae, southern Seoul, has been a devoted fan of Cho for 30 years. She confesses managing a fan club with about 15,000 members is almost like having a second job. “When I get home from work, the first thing I do is turn on the computer because I have lots of things to check and decide. For this reason, I go to bed around 1 or 2 a.m. every day,” she said.” “For example, we have to arrange passenger buses for fans living outside Seoul when they come to Seoul to see oppa [a term of endearment used for male entertainers], and we also have to decide how to make small banners that will be handed out at concerts when cheering.”

Roh is a working mom, and she’s passed on the fangirl gene to her teenage daughter, who adores the idol group Super Junior. “We gave rice cakes to officials at broadcasting stations and news agencies, and collected money to place a newspaper ad to congratulate oppa on his birthday. We’ve been so busy.”

The ultimate goal of Great Birth, Roh said, is simple. “Oppa can’t live forever. Our mission is to collect all the data regarding him and donate it when a museum for oppa is opened.” According to Roh, most Great Birth members are in their 30s, 40s and 50s. “In the past, fan clubs were considered things for teenagers,” said Hwang Sang-min, a psychology professor at Yonsei University. “For these uncle fans and aunt fans, however, fan club culture is natural because they grew up listening to popular songs and imitating celebrities back in the ’90s.”

Professor Rando Kim, a professor of computer science at Seoul National University, sees this new strong fan culture as a timely trend. “With the aid of digital gadgets and a wireless environment, consumers can participate in the production process in every industry these days. In that sense, fans are the ones who participate in producing popular culture,” Kim said. “It’s ideal that fans are no longer passive, but they try to interact with their stars. When they make their voices heard, [entertainment agencies] will produce cultural products catering to the needs of fans.”

Fan club activities

Protecting stars’ rights

05221349.jpg

* About 2,000 fans of 2PM staged a series of demonstrations in front of JYP Entertainment, located in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul, from September 2009 to March this year against JYP’s decision to oust former member Park Jae-beom.

* An association of fan clubs of TVXQ filed a petition in August last year with the National Human Rights Commission of Korea, saying a contract between the band members and their agency SM Entertainment was unfair. According to the contract, band members can’t leave the company for 13 years.

* Fans of singer Seo Tai-ji participated in public hearings organized by the National Assembly to improve music copyright. They also took legal action against a singer who parodied Seo’s songs.

Charitable activities

* Fan clubs of singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong established a fund for disabled college students in February.

* Marking Park Jae-beom’s 24th birthday, 2PM fan clubs donated 10 million won ($8,970) to the Kids and Future Foundation in April.

Promotion

* Fan clubs of singer Min Kyung-hoon prepared about 200 lunch boxes for staff members working at a concert in April.

* Fan clubs of G-Dragon, a member of Big Bang, purchased boxes of his first single and handed out CDs to reporters and broadcasting officials to promote the album last August.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

May 6, 2010

Rain says "Lim Soo-jung is my ideal woman"

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050609412692935_1.jpg

Korean entertainer Rain appears on talk show "Steel Heart" [sBS]

Korean entertainer Rain has revealed that actress Lim Soo-jung is his ideal type of woman.

The 27-year-old singer and actor made the remark while appearing as a guest on popular SBS talk show "Steel Heart" which aired on April 4.

On the show, Rain was offered to take part in a segment called "Surprise Ideal Woman World Cup," selecting Lim as his ideal woman among many female celebrities including Shin Min-ah, Song Hye-ko and Han Ye-seul, his co-stars from dramas and films he has appeared in so far.

Rain even asked out Lim, his co-star from the 2006 film "I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK," on a date in a video message saying, "Let's have dinner sometime." When asked by hosts Kang Ho-dong and Lee Seung-gi if he has any time to date, the singer answered, "I have done everything that I need to in private. I gotta do what I gotta do."

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, has become one of the most successful Korean stars in the entertainment business since first starting out as a trainee and back-up dancer at agency JYP Entertainment. He has released six studio albums to date and performed numerous concert tours throughout Asia and in the U.S. including a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden.

The singer carried his popularity and artistic talents over to acting, appearing in several hit TV series such as "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School" (KBS, 2003) and "Full House" (KBS, 2004) and making his big screen debut in Park Chan-wook's surrealist comedy pic "I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK."

In 2008, he made an impressive crossover to Hollywood with a supporting role in "Speed Racer", which led to his star turn last year in martial arts flick "Ninja Assassin" by the Wachowski Brothers.

Rain is currently promoting his latest album "Back To The Basic" in Korea.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 6, 2010

"Dong Yi" continues to lead Mon-Tue dramas

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010050608384545113_1.jpg

Official poster of "Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" [MBC]

MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" continued to bring in high ratings this week, taking the lead in the rivalry amongst shows in the Monday and Tuesday primetime slot.

Research firm TNS Media Korea revealed that "Dong Yi," into its seventh week of showing, recorded an average viewership rating of 22 percent on May 3 and 4, decreasing a slight 0.1 percent from last week.

Statistics released by AGB Nielsen Media Research indicated that the 50-part historical epic brought in ratings of around 20 percent both days, showing a drop of 1.3 percent from its previous two episodes.

This week's show focused on the reunion of Dong Yi (played by Han Hyo-joo) and Chun-soo (played by Bae Soo-bin).

Meanwhile, KBS’ "The Birth of the Rich," starring Ji Hyun woo and Lee Bo-young, ended its run as the second most-watch Monday and Tuesday TV show with its ratings averaging 15.4 percent on TNS polls and 14.4 percent on AGB chart this week.

New mini-series tentatively titled "Country is Calling" starring Kim Sang-kyung, Lee Soo-kyung, Horan and Ryu Jin will premiere next week as the succeeding show for “Rich.”

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 6, 2010

Director Lee Kwang-mo Appointed to Cannes Jury

2010050600554_0.jpg

Lee Kwang-mo

Director Lee Kwang-mo has been picked as a jury member for the Europa Cinemas Label in the Cannes International Film Festival this year.

The award is given by Europa Cinemas, a network of film theaters that promotes European films, to a European film that has been invited to the festival's Directors' Fortnight section.

Lee's film "Spring in My Hometown" screened in the Directors' Fortnight section in 1998. He currently runs Baekdu Daegan, a film distribution and production company, and heads the organizing committee for the Cinema Digital Seoul Film Festival.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

"Korean Ghost Stories" wins gold at New York Festivals

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lucia Hong

2010050613001686813_1.jpg

Korean director Kim Jung-min at the New York Festivals [KBS]

KBS TV series "Korean Ghost Stories - The Curse of the Saijin Sword" has won top honors at the 2010 New York Festivals - Television & Film Awards, according to a press release from KBS on Thursday.

The festival which opened at the American Airlines Theatre in Manhattan of New York on Monday, revealed that the series won the gold world medal under the category of TV Movie/Drama Special.

A representative from KBS explained that the prize is significant in that it is the first time for the show, based on Korean horror legends and folktales, to win an international award, indicating that it is receiving interest from overseas.

"Korean Ghost Stories" was first broadcasted in 1977 and aired regularly until 1989. From 1996 to 1999, it established itself as an unrivaled horror and thriller series.

The show was then shown in the summer of 2008 as an eight-part series of which "The Curse of the Saijin Sword" is the third episode starring Choi Su-jong and Sa Kang.

KBS has won several other awards at the New York Festivals -- the silver world medal in 2002 under the history & society category for "Humanity is the Answer: T'egye's Philosophy of Man" and the bronze world medal in 2007 under the best news documentary/special category for "At the Scene of the Pygmy Genocide."

The New York Festivals International Television & Film Awards is one of the most well known and widely respected competitions in the world and recognizes the best in news, documentary, information and entertainment programming.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 6, 2010

Local agencies eager to sign on SS501 Kim Hyun-joong

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja. Editor.Lynn Kim

20100506154814000485647_00000001_1_PA.jpg

SS501 member Kim Hyun-joong [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong is reportedly keeping local talent agencies on their toes as his contract nears its expiration date with DSP Entertainment next month.

The singer has become the hottest recruit in the entertainment business as he will be a free agent when his contract with agency DSP Entertainment expires on June 8. Although Kim is currently preparing to release a new album with his group SS501 later this month, he has not renewed his contract with DSP and many agencies are said to be silently wooing him.

There is even talk among Kim's sources and industry officials that he is very likely to sign with an agency which recently signed on three TVXQ members -- Hero Jaejoong, Xiah Junsu and Micky Yoochun -- who are currently embroiled in a legal battle with major talenthouse SM Entertainment.

Experts explained that the partnership between Kim and TVXQ members will prove beneficial to everyone involved since all four are popular in Japan and throughout Asia, and have similar plans for their music and acting careers in the future. Another rumor circulating in the industry is that Kim recently had a private meeting with Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon, which might lead to his signing with Bae's agency KEYEAST.

DSP downplayed the rumor, however, saying it was just a private meeting between Kim and Bae, a close friend and mentor figure to the young star.

Kim, 23, is the leader of boy band SS501, one of the most successful K-pop acts in Asia since their debut in 2005. The singer has also done some acting work, most notably in the smash hit drama "Boys Over Flowers" last year alongside actors Lee Min-ho and Ku Hye-sun.

Reporter : Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 7, 2010

Agency Contract with Kim Hyung Joong to Expire

The agency contract between the leader of popular group SS501, Kim Hyung Joong (24), and his current agency DSPent will expire on June 8, so his every move is drawing people’s attention in the entertainment industry.

7373_1148_l.jpg

Kim Hyun Joong has actively worked as a group artist and, at the same time, he also appeared in the drama “Boys Over Flowers” and successfully established a solid foothold as an actor. He is an A-class star in the Foreign Agent market for this year's first half. People in the music industry are paying attention to his next agency because his move will have an effect on the activities of the group SS501, which is gaining huge popularity in Asian countries centering around the greater China region. As of May 6, according to a person who belongs to DSPent and close friends of other members, Kim Hyun Joong has not yet renewed his contract with his current agency, and many other agencies are suggesting a huge down payment be made to him to make a deal.

Members of SS501 reportedly had discussed future plans after their concert held in Saitama Arena in Tokyo. An executive director of a music entertainment agency who is acquainted with members of SS501 said, “Kim Hyun Joong may join the agency that three members of Dong Bang Shin Ki--who left the SM entertainment--belong to. Since those three members are actively working in Asian countries including Japan, those movements might be suitable for Kim Hyun Joong’s further activities. In particular, Kim Hyun Joong is now living with his best friend, Young Woong Jae Joong, and I heard that they had many discussions together about Kim Hyun Joong’s future plans.”

In addition, as it has been reported that Kim Hyun Joong met Bae Yong Joon several times, many interpretations are being made about the meeting between them. A person at DSPent said, “Kim Hyun Joong knows Bae Yong Joon personally, as he regards Bae as a senior actor.” But, other people in the music industry said, “Kim Hyun Joong might possibly want to discuss with Bae Yong Joon his future plans, such as activities in Japan. They are two big stars who can have a significant effect on the Hallyu market, so their meeting might produce something.”

Even in this situation, there is also a possibility that Kim Hyun Joong will stay with his current agency. A person in the music industry said, “He will make a comeback as a member of SS501, with a new album at the end of this month, so he might be able to discuss remaining with his agency for a month.” Even though there are many predictions about Kim Hyun Joong’s possible future agencies, people in the music industry cannot easily be sure of the future plans of SS501 as a group. A person close to the group Shin Hwa said, “Members of the group GOD belonged to two different agencies, and also the members of Shin Hwa later transferred to different agencies, but they still worked together as a group for their album. So, even though Kim Hyun Joong’s agency is changed to another agency, SS501 might continue their activities as a group if every member wants to do so.”

May 6, 2010

Jun Ji-hyun dismisses rumors about going solo

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lynn Kim

2010050615194246316_1.jpg

Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun [Asia Economic Daily]

A representative for Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun has denied recent rumors that she will be setting up her own agency after parting with her 13-year management company Sidus HQ in June.

Recent media reports said the 29-year-old actress will be going solo after her contract with Sidus expires, but an official at the agency dismissed the rumors, saying that such talks "always come up" around the time of her contract renewal. "As you know, Ji-hyun has been with the agency for over ten years since her middle school days," the official at Sidus explained. "It is up to her and we haven't talked with her yet, but I think she will be staying with us."

Last year, the actress was engulfed in an ugly scandal where her agency illegally duplicated her mobile phone and had tapped into her phone records. While many expected her to leave the agency, she surprised everyone by extending her contract with Sidus for an additional year.

Jun Ji-hyun, whose English name is Gianna Jun, is one of the most sought-after actresses in Korea. She became a household name after starring in the 2001 hit film "My Sassy Girl" which spawned a Hollywood remake.

Since making her international debut last year through film "Blood: The Last Vampire", she has been filming "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" with Hollywood actor Hugh Jackman and Chinese actress Li Bingbing.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 6, 2010

'Housemaid' is sexy, stylish, pulsating

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

100506_p12_house.jpg

Award-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon stars in a scene from "The Housemaid.'' The film,

by Im Sang-soo and based on the 1960 film of the same name by Kim Ki-young,

has been invited to compete at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival. / Courtesy of Sidus FNH

It’s been half a century since Kim Ki-young’s "The Housemaid" forever changed the course of Korean cinema, and the erotic thriller has once again emerged as an "it" film since Martin Scorsese initiated its digital restoration for the 2008 Cannes Film Festival.

Im Sang-soo had a lot on his shoulders for the remake of the classic, and even more so since Jeon Do-yeon was cast in the title role. There were doubts. Would he allow the actress to shine and harness her gifts to artistic ends, as Lee Chang-dong did for her international breakthrough "Secret Sunshine?" Im is a noted cineaste, but has been known for down-to-earth dramas like "A Good Lawyer’s Wife" ― would things get lost in the expensively produced mise-en-scene?

Just because he added a splash of style doesn’t mean that he compromised substance. Like the original film, "Housemaid" is a spatial, rather than temporal, film, and confined spaces give flight to characters’ ulterior motives. Im leaps nimbly over the traps of remakes, and movie buffs will have to specify the reinterpretation as "Im’s Housemaid" rather than "the remake."

He brings a sexy, seamlessly quilted film that throbs with intrigue, lively characters and finely crafted melodrama. It is little wonder why it was selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at Cannes. Im calls himself "the perennial aspiring artist rather than filmmaker," and indeed, works of art are bound to resonate with not only the artsy intelligentsia but also with laymen; the new "Housemaid" has great prospects at the box office, and the star-studded cast members giving their best doesn’t hurt either.

The film opens with a slice of contemporary Korea, and this is where we first meet Eun-i (Jeon), a bright and cheerful divorcee who tries her best to make ends meet in the hustle and bustle of the urban jungle. Her college degree in children’s education lands her a job with an elite couple expecting twins, and she moves away from her "natural habitat" to enter the exotic world of the privileged _ young, powerful businessman Hun (Lee Jung-jae gives his edgiest performance) and his "Stepford wife" Hae-ra (Seo Woo, who established herself as an actress to look out for after "Paju") are picture-perfect in their marble floored mansion.

Our heroine feels a bit awkward at first, wearing her designer maid outfit and serving vintage label wine, but she revels in her new environment as she establishes an immediate sense of affinity toward the family’s six-year-old daughter Na-mi, and soaks up the veteran housemaid Byeong-sik’s (Youn Yuh-jung) instructions like a sponge.

Eun-i is an enigmatic figure, more allegorical than human in all her natural grace and simplicity, which is something only an actress of Jeon’s caliber could portray convincingly. But Youn also shares the spotlight as the senior housemaid, by giving the film realistic edge and weight. One day Hun comes knocking at Eun-i's door, and she quietly succumbs to the temptation of this tall, handsome man with a knack for playing romantic piano pieces. The two continue their sexual relations in secret, but it isn’t long until Byeong-sik, the eyes and ears of the house, senses the affair.

Shortly thereafter, Byeong-sik also notices that Eun-i is pregnant ― something our protagonist isn’t aware of yet ― and informs Hae-ra’s mother Mi-heui (Park Ji-young). Hun’s infidelity provokes Hae-ra’s wrath, but she decides to feign oblivion to maintain her position, while Byeon-sik capitalizes on the situation with some side "allowances" for spy work.

When Hun also tries to hush up the situation, however, Eun-i decides to fight back to protect her child.

In theaters May 13. Distibuted by Sidus FNH.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

May 6, 2010

Celebrities campaign to upgrade Korea’s image

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

100506_p20_rain.jpg

K-pop singer-actor Rain

Local celebrities including K-pop singer-actor Rain have teamed up with the Ministry of Culture and Internet portal Nate to upgrade Korea's image.

The campaign, dubbed "Creating a High-class Country With 28 Stars,'' was launched Thursday and has invited 28 popular figures to share their experience as honorary ambassadors for various government bodies and projects.

Baseball pitching coach Sun Dong-yeol, who is promoting law-and-order for the Daegu Metropolitan Police Agency, wrote about his observations of baseball games. "These days, spectators pick up after themselves when the game is over, and it's rare to see tissues or empty drink bottles and cigarette butts lying around. I believe this is a true example of fair play spirit.''

Broadcaster Kim Sung-hwan, who is representing the Ministry of Justice, also shared his thoughts. "Let us abandon the thought 'I don't make much of a difference,' and try to observe the law for the small things in everyday life.''

Other celebrities taking part in the event include Rain, who is promoting the globalization of hansik; movie star Ji Jin-hee, who is the ambassador for the Korea Tourism Organization; comedian Nam Hee-seok, who is representing the antipiracy campaign "Copy Zero''; actor Zo In-sung, the face for Military Manpower Administration; and actor Jung Jun-ho, who is the ambassador for the Ministry of Unification.

The 28 participating stars will post their thoughts and feelings on Web sites such as Korea's government policy portal www.korea.kr and Nate's cytogether.cyworld.com and pann.nate.com.

Each month several lucky netizens who comment on the celebrity messages will receive autographs and gifts such as CDs.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

May 6, 2010

[10LINE] Actress Moon Geun-young

Senior Reporter.Kang Myoung-Seok Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Lucia Hong

2010043019050528352_1.jpg

Clockwise from top center: actress Lim Soo-jung, actor Kim Rae-won, actor Park Geon-hyeong,

actor Kim Ju-hyeok and actress Lee Mi-sook [10Asia]

Moon Geun-young

Star. Icon. Nation's little sister. Now we call her by her name "Geun-young."

Shin Ae-duk

Moon Geun-young's grandmother. As a child, Moon began her day watching morning dramas with her grandmother and at nights would fall asleep while talking with her grandmother on what happened during the day with her parents being busy working. Her grandmother told her, "In life, people go through various ups and downs but I don't want you to think about that too much and rather work on refining yourself and grow up to become an intelligent actress." Moon Geun-young’s mother told her that the money she makes “is not our money" and suggested in donating it as "a way of investing your love to society.” One of the biggest reasons that Moon was able to act from a young age until now without faltering is because of the unconditional support she received from her family.

Yoo Dong-geun

Actor who played Moon's teacher in "Burnt Rice Teacher and Seven Potatoes," her father-in-law in "Empress Myung-sung" and then her father in "Wife." In her school's production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," Moon played one of the seven dwarfs and wanted to take up acting because it was "fun to show and express different images of myself to the audience.” The story that Moon's mother had promised to allow her daughter to become an actress if president-elect Kim Dae-jung wins the elections is well-known. Once Kim became president, Moon enrolled into acting school. And after an official from a broadcasting company saw her profile picture, she began working as an actress in KBS' "TV Brings Love," where she would re-enact real life stories, and in "Burnt Rice Teacher and Seven Potatoes," playing a villainous student who is bad influence on classmates.

Yun Suk-ho

The director of KBS' "Autumn Tale." Director Yun asked Moon to "act like a girl who is a mix of Cinderella and Candy” when she played the role of the younger version of Song Hye-kyo's character, but Moon actually had no idea who Candy was. But Moon pulled off her character well, saying "The whole script is so sad that I didn’t need to think of anything else". She had her own understanding of the story. “If I were Eun-seo [the female lead in “Autumn Tale”], I would choose Won Bin. There were too many obstacles in loving Song Seung-heon’s character but Won Bin's character loved Eun-seo from the start so I think only good things would have happened for them." At the time, Moon had her own acting know-how. "I would try to become the character that I am playing but if it doesn't work, I would try to drive my character to the extreme.” This is probably why Moon Geun-young seemed to have more depth and maturity for her age when she appeared in “Autumn Tale" and the music video of "Heart Break."

Lim Soo-jung

Her co-star from the movie "A Tale of Two Sisters." Lim Soo-jung described Moon as “a vigorous and cheerful child-adult" who would “send a lot of text messages at the start of the month but fewer by the end because her mobile phone plan only allowed her to send 500 a month.” Like Lim said, Moon has the face of a child which also contains expressions which might be felt by a grown-up feeling complex emotions. Director of "Two Sisters" Kim Ji-woon called her "the kind of actress who is able to make those around her feel guilty with the deep sadness in her eyes." For Moon Geun-young, who likes “the kind of acting which gives off a certain odd, unexplainable feeling,” “Two Sisters" was the perfect film where she was able to show her unique style as an actress. And Moon Geun-young started to gain attention as a new kind of teenage actress.

Kim Jong-do

CEO of Moon's agency Namoo Actors. Talking about how much he likes Moon Geun-young, Kim said, "Moon and her mother are my teachers. Most people only concentrate on their own lives and don’t have time to look around but these two helped me to look around and see what’s going on.” It was also Moon who named her agency Namoo Actors -- in the hopes that “it will be a place where actors can root themselves, yield strong leaves and become a resting place for them.” ['Namoo' is the Korean word for 'tree'.] Fellow actor Ahn Seok-hwan once said Moon Geun-young is “so great that I even respect her.” Moon is the kind of person who likes famed poet Jeongcheol's "Sokmiingok" because it expresses “all kinds of human emotions in just three lines” and who “uses loneliness as an excuse when having lots of time or feeling vulnerable.” When she appeared on MBC's "Sunday Nights - Love House," she gave the child of the family a scholarship instead of a computer or cellular phone because the service fee will be a burden and it was probably her deep, considerate nature that helped the public feel a sense of purity and fondness about her.

Kim Rae-won

Actor who has acted with "Two Sisters" actresses Moon Geun-young, Lim Soo-jung and Yum Jung-ah. After Moon became convinced by director Kim Ho-jun telling her "I am confident that I can bring out your bright side," she starred alongside Kim Rae-won for the successful film "My Little Bride." And when director Kim told her "it is possible to change the parts that don't work by discussing it with your co-star since the scenario was written by a thirty-something man," Moon starts the "kind of acting where there was room for me to be creative." However, "My Little Bride" only portrayed Moon in a cute and bright light which paved the way to her gaining the image as the 'nation's little sister.' The film increased Moon's popularity but it blocked the growth of an actress who was mature on the inside and knew "that actress Moon Geun-young was being driven by an entirely different force, something outside her acting skills." It starts becoming a problem for an actress who is in her twenties who said "it's a bit sad because I know that I want to play feminine and mature roles but I can't."

Park Geon-hyeong

Moon Geun-young's co-star in movie "Dancing Princess." She chose to play the female lead who matures while learning how to dance and love because the audience had an image of her as someone who has ceased to grow from her role in "My Little Bride." She was praised on how fast she was able to learn the dance moves from her teachers. However, she still maintained the image of the 'little sister' because her character in the movie was a pure and sympathetic young Korean girl who came from China. Moon said she "hated how the public would draw a line between an adult and child over a day's difference" but as she became close to turning 20 years old, the media became increasingly curious to when she would transform into an adult actress.

Kim Ju-hyeok

Her co-star in the movie "Love Me Not." Moon Geun-young who felt "sad and sorry [for her co-stars] because we made the movie together but in the end it always ended up being about me" in her previous works, starred in "Love Me Not" under less pressure. The media has been focusing on Moon's acting transition and she found herself once again in the situation where she was responsible for the commercial success of the film. Around the time when "Love Me Not" opened, Moon became the center of controversy over her college entrance although she had applied for the rolling admission based on her work experience. Others even brought up her personal affairs, turning her continuous donation activities into something political. She suddenly gained anti-fans even though nothing had changed about her, making her feel as if she was "packaged into someone completely different by wearing a thick layer of clothing that it not my style." She gained an inferiority complex which made it difficult for her to sit in the classroom at the beginning of the school year although thankful of the public's attention. This was when Moon experienced her first slump.

Park Shin-yang

Her co-star in the SBS drama "The Painter of the Wind." Moon received the grand prize at SBS' Acting Awards ceremony for her role in "The Painter of the Wind." Instead of playing the role of Shin Yoon-bok as neither a girl nor boy, Moon expressed her character as a 'human being' who grows up in the process of opening her eyes to love and painting through artists such as Kim Hong-do and Jung-hyang. Like the writer he himself mentioned, the series lacked in some areas and would have liked to express draw on the melodramatic elements between the characters in more detail. But Shin Yoon-bok's eyes, which showed her transformation from being a troublemaker genius to knowing more about love and painting, was enough to make up for what was not written in the script. Moon has proven to be an actress who was able to show that she had matured without having to reveal her feminine or sexual side. With that she bid farewell to her image as the 'nation's little sister.'

Jang Dong-gun

Moon Geun-young had chosen Jang as her role model because she was “impressed that he kept on walking his path despite all the ups and downs.” Moon gained huge popularity after starring in the film “My Little Bride” and learned various acting techniques through her sequential acting roles -- playing a dancer in the film “Dancing Princess," a blind woman in “Love Me Not” and a painter in TV series “The Painter of the Wind." And in KBS TV series “Sister of Cinderella," she chose to play a character who is the opposite from her image as 'nation's little sister.' This is somewhat similar to the steps that Jang has taken in his career, who, after a few acting transformations, went from being a good-looking actor to a movie star with good acting skills. What is more important, however, is that Moon Geun-young, who is only in her early twenties, is making her own choices in her life as an actress. Moon Geun-young has endured the pressure of being labeled 'nation's little sister' after appearing in “My Little Bride” and widened on her scope of acting by learning various techniques that her roles as dancer, painter and blind required. It is hard to find an actress who has as much star quality and acting ability as Moon Geun-young and one whose acting is not limited to a melodrama. She has weathered through her sudden surge in popularity Instead of getting swept away by it and has become someone in her twenties determining her own future.

Lee Mi-sook

The actress who Moon said "I want to grow up to be an actress just like Lee Mi-sook." They are currently starring together in series "Sister of Cinderella." Moon, who considered herself as someone with high tolerance for pain, took on the role of Eun-jo who swallows all her pain on the inside and rebels on the outside. Through her role as Eun-jo, she can express everything including how she rebels against the world, the loneliness she feels after being alienated from her own mother and new family, and the indifferent attitude she tries to put on when Hong Gi-hoon (played by Chun Jung-myung) calls out her name when she is actually feeling smaller. She was finally given the chance to break away from the image of the 'nation's little sister' and show her deep inner self. And beginning from episode five where Moon plays someone in her twenties, Moon was be able to show the audience the kind of acting that she thought of and had prepared for all this time. It will be a chance for her to receive verification for her acting techniques and prove how well she can play a woman who has been faced with a lot of pain in her life. When Moon appeared on the SBS program "Chocolate" she sang the song "Musical" which said "Just leave me alone and don't try to interfere with my life and I will live in a world where I can make it on my own." Just like the song's lyrics, will Moon be able to find her own way?

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@, Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived