[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

April 26, 2010

Kim Yun-jin signs autograph at L'Oreal promotion

Photographer.Lee Ki-bum Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042615481882677_1.jpg

2010042615481882677_2.jpg

Actress Kim Yun-jin signs her autograph at an event promoting cosmetics brand L'Oreal at Lotte Department Store in Seoul, South Korea on April 25, 2010.

2010042615463766211_1.jpg

2010042615463766211_2.jpg

Actress Kim Yun-jin poses at an autograph session promoting cosmetics brand L'Oreal at Lotte Department Store in Seoul, South Korea on April 25, 2010.

2010042615312648580_1.jpg

Actress Kim Yun-jin arrives at an autograph session promoting cosmetics brand L'Oreal at Lotte Department Store in Seoul, South Korea on April 25, 2010.

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 26, 2010

[PHOTO] "Hahaha" cast pose at press screening

Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042617415369530_1.jpg

Actress Moon So-ry and actor Kim Sang-kyung [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Actress Moon So-ry and actor Kim Sang-kyung pose during a press screening for film "Hahaha" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 22, 2010.

2010042617415369530_2.jpg

Actress Ye Ji-won and Yu Jun-sang [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Actress Ye Ji-won and Yu Jun-sang pose during a press screening for film "Hahaha" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 22, 2010.

2010042617285302125_1.jpg

From left, actresses Yoon Yeo-jung, Moon So-ry and Ye Ji-won speak at a press screening for film "Hahaha" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 22, 2010.

2010042617285302125_2.jpg

From left, actresses Yoon Yeo-jung and Moon So-ry speak at a press screening for film "Hahaha" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 22, 2010.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

April 26, 2010

Hong Sang-soo's jolliness peaks in "Hahaha" - Part 1 & 2

Reporter.Lee Ji-Hye Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Lucia Hong

2010042609371339034_4.jpg

From left, film "Hahaha" director Hong Sang-soo and cast members Yoon Yeo-jung, Yu Jun-sang,

Moon So-ry, Ye Ji-won, Kim Young-ho and Kim Sang-kyung pose during a press screening

held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 22, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

If one had to come up with a subtitle for director Hong Sang-soo's tenth film "Hahaha," it could be "Cute." The movie is guided by the memories that movie critic Joong-sik (played by Yu Jun-sang) and aspiring movie director Moon-gyeong (played by Kim Sang-kyung) have about their summer trip to Tongyeong. And just like any other film by director Hong, these men go to an unfamiliar place where they chase after women, drink, lie and talk both nonsense and of their dreams. But no matter how pathetic or loser-like they act, one cannot hate them. Hong, who had stepped up the level of jolliness detected in his work starting with "Like You Know It All," produces the biggest laugh through "Hahaha." Hong's directing skills are better than ever in that he can wrap up his story making the characters seem 'cute' despite their senseless and rubbish philosophical discussions, their extraordinary farewell scene, and the actions they take on which may cause viewers to stare in disbelief.

Just in the way that the characters in the film repeatedly tell each other that they are 'cute,' they are viewed in the exact same way by the director. But the way he sees the characters is contagious to the audience. Below are excerpts from the press conference for the film "Hahaha" attended by director Hong Sang-soo, Kim Sang-kyung, Yu Jun-sang, Moon So-ry, Ye Ji-won, Yoon Yeo-jung and Kim Young-ho.

10: The title of your film "Hahaha" is interesting.

Director Hong Sang-soo (Hong): I don't remember exactly when but right before we began filming, I was riding a taxi to Chungmuro when I saw a store sign that had two Korean characters 'ha' that were overlapping and it reminded me of 'hahaha.' I liked it because it felt like it was emphasizing summer and it was also like the sound of laughter.

10: "Hahaha" is cheerful compared to your previous works. How did you go about starting this film because I heard there was a personal experience that became the beginning of the film?

Hong: In order to find a location to shoot the movie, I had travelled to Moongyeong and Tongyeong. And I became stimulated by what I saw at Tongyeong so that's when I decided on the location, and then the structure of the film. And I think it ended up that way because the movie talks about how two people travel to the same place but it was important that the film take on the artificial structure that it only talks about the fun things.

2010042609371339034_1.jpg

Actors Kim Sang-kyung and Yu Jun-sang [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: What is ironical is that the still image of Moon-gyeong and Joong-sik drinking together while talking about the time they were at Moongyeong seems to give off the vibe that it's from the past instead of the present, while the scene where they reminisce about their past they were actually in Tongyeong emphasizes the present time.

Hong: We decided on making the film that way when we began doing the first edit. It's where the scene was to be divided between the present and past but it seemed that it might be better to switch them. Should I say I expressed the present like it was the past? I just felt like doing it that way.

10: You'll be going to the Cannes Film Festival for the sixth time this year with "Hahaha." You went last year for your film "Like You Know It All."

Hong: It is very effective to screen your movie at Cannes because many people come to the festival. It also helps when you shoot your next movie in someway or another. It's great for actors go to the festival to go to too. (laugh)

10: Yoon Yeo-jung, you will be at Cannes for two films "Housemaid" and "Hahaha," which is probably the first time for such a thing to happen in Korean film history.

Yoon Yeo-jun (Yoon): I am happy to be going to Cannes. I had never been there for the past 60 years of my life but now I'm going for two films. It's pleasant to know that such a thing has happened after having acted for so long. (laugh)

10: The directors for both films were called 'Sang-soo.' How do they compare?

Yoon: I'm not a critic and I don't think you can compare the two because they are two very different Sang-soos. (laugh) Moon So-ry would probably know better. (laugh)

Moon So-ry (Moon): In the past, both directors had many skin-baring scenes. While one now gives me a blanket to cover up, the other still doesn't. (laugh)

Yoon: I wouldn't know. I haven't had to try it myself. (laugh)

Moon: Both Im Sang-soo and Hong Sang-soo are extremely cheerful. At least much more than director Lee Chang-dong. (laugh)

Yoon: For someone my age, it was the first time working in the style that director Hong does. There was no full script and the environment on set was poor. It was really hard filming so I lost my temper all the time. But after watching the film for the first time today, I felt that I am finally starting to act a bit well. When I saw other actors in past productions I would think, "How come that person can't act," but everyone was so good this time that I would want to try again. (laugh)

10: Kim Sang-kyung, you have already been in three of Hong's productions.

Kim Sang-kyung (Kim): Those who see director Hong's movies have different perspectives on them. People who don't like his films say they are always the same but I feel that they're different every time. I feel happy after watching "Hahaha" today. Although, of course, it was hard to shoot. (laugh) Even though I have worked with Hong several times, I have a hard time everytime. I act as if it isn't difficult when we're in shoot. As much as I know the director, it is hard to sometimes act out some of the expressions that he wants.

2010042618103712721_1.jpg

Actresses Moon So-ry and Ye Ji-won [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: Yoo Jun-sang, you stood out the most [in the film] with your cuteness. The most memorable scene was when sobbed while holding the dog.

Yoo Jun-sang (Yoo): The director was writing the script for the film when this dog walked past him and that's when he decided to use the dog. (laugh) I had so much fun filming that scene because earlier in the afternoon the director and I had a drink in the middle of the day. When I think about it now, I wonder whether I have ever done that before and how I actually pulled it off. It was fun because things I had never imagined would come out, did it was interesting to see how everything else surrounding that shoot was just falling into place. It was also a lot of fun because of the unexpected situations that arose during the filming. There was a blooper when I fell down some stairs during shoot and the next day the director took me to the oriental medical clinic to get acupuncture for my hip but that scene was added to the movie too. He told me that I might as well just lie down [for the shoot] while getting therapy for my hip. (laugh) Those times were really fun. Who would film the scene of their actor falling and getting hip treatment the next day? I really laughed out loud while filming.

10: I heard you also kept a daily journal while you were shooting.

Yoo: Whenever I'm working, whether it be theater work or movies, I keep a diary, take photographs or write some kind of record but this time, we were in Tongyeong so I drew a lot and even wrote about the conversations I had with the director. I had forgotten about that diary for a while though but had fun reading it recently. There's a poem that only I know about written by the director titled "Golden Sea Gull." (laugh) The director is embarrassed about the poem but the more you read it, the more meaning you realize there is to it. I think I will keep it to myself and maybe reveal it 30 years from now?

10: Moon So-ry, you had a natural command in speaking with a regional dialect.

Moon So-ry (Moon): My hometown is Busan. I lived in Busan until elementary school and even though I moved to Seoul in sixth grade, it's hard to forget that dialect. We didn't plan on using a regional dialect in the beginning but right before we went to Tongyeong for filming, the director said I didn't have to speak in a regional dialect but asked if I knew how to, so I told him I was from Busan and that's when he said I should use it. All the other characters in the film were from Seoul so I thought it would be good to mix up my character's dialect. When I'm drunk, I would naturally start speaking in the regional dialect and when I want to look good in front of someone I would use the regular speech. (laugh)

2010042618103712721_2.jpg

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung and director Hong Sang-soo [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: There seems to be special meaning to how the phrase 'see only the good things' kept being repeated throughout the film.

Hong: It's a phrase that is still slightly beyond me too but at the same time, something I would like to hold onto. The reason for that is because I think it will help me evolve. I'm not at that level yet but I think there is something to that phrase. I think about it constantly so I think I naturally popped up while I was working on the film.

10: The director perceives female characters in "Hahaha" in a positive light. While men are still loser-like and immature, there is a purity about women and they take care of men.

Hong: I hadn't planned on shooting it in that way but I think it just comes out in my work because I'm just that much older and have changed. I think my portrayal of female characters or changes in the film reflect the natural changes that have occured within myself.

10: A lot of your recent productions have been shot in Jeju, Jecheon and Tongyeong. I think the locations you shoot your movies at must have a lot of significance. What significance did Tongyeong have to everyone?

Hong: I went to take a look because it's my mother's hometown but it turned out to be nice. The people were different too and I could feel its culture. I also thought it was interesting to see how it's such a small place but had so many nice things about it and how so many great people are from there. Of course, when working on the film, what each member of the cast gave for the film was ten times stronger than what Tongyeong provided for the film. I really thank everyone for being part of my film.

Yoon: These guys did it drunk and I was the only one who was acting on a sober mind. My body just couldn't handle drinking and then acting. Everyone else was saying filming was like being on a school trip but to me, it was like undergoing training. Tongyeong is so far and it made me irritated that I had to spend so many days in a motel room. I felt lonely and it was tough work. It even felt like I was making my acting debut. These guys would all be quite drunk so they'd stumble around on set, I'd do my own hair in my motel room and get hurt here and there... I think everyone enjoyed the experience and that I was the only one who didn't. I think I was the director's least favorite actor. (laugh)

Moon: That's not true. The director always used to say, "Isn't she so cute? How could she be so cute at such an age?" when she leaves for Seoul. (laugh) And him calling somebody cute is the highest form of praise he will give. I know I'll never get to experience what I did during the month I was in Tongyeong but it was so much fun. [Ye] Ji-won and I looked around the different islands too. I realized during shoot for "Hahaha" that there is nothing more fun than having fun and playing while working.

Ye Ji-won: I went to Tongyeong for the first time but it was a very beautiful place. I think I only saw good things while I was there. The typhoon, wind, watermelon... I think I would be happy working with such great people.

Yoo: A lot of things happened during the month of July that we were in Tongyeong. I felt a huge variety of emotions -- to the extent that I still wonder how it all happened in a span of a month. After we finished filming, Kim bought abalone so we ate it over three bottles of soju [Korean liquor] starting 11 a.m. I was the most happiest then and I recently had abalone again but it just didn't taste the same. I wonder when I'll get to taste it again. And it's not easy to drink soju in the morning but really, it was even better than water. (laugh) It's a moment that would never come again so I was both sad and very happy.

Kim: I watched the news today and saw that there was a lot of wind in Tongyeong. Before, I would have just walked by it but today I stopped to watch. Tongyeong is a meaningful place to me now.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

April 27, 2010

Jang Nara helps two cities sign friendship alliance

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042710061197136_1.jpg

Korean actress Jang Nara [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Jang Nara has helped establish friendly ties between two cities, namely Qichun county in China and Jaechun city in Korea, according to her agency.

An official at the agency explained on Monday that the alliance was "an accomplishment made by Jang Nara, who is the PR ambassador for the two cities."

The actress became an ambassador for Qichun county last February, when she visited the grave of famous Chinese herbalist Li Shizhen, who was born and lived in the region. She has also been named the publicity ambassador for the upcoming Chinese medicine exhibition, to be held in Jae-chun in October 2010. Last month in Seoul, the actress had delivered relevant documents to the mayor of Jae-chun city from Chinese authorities. Both parties had agreed on the spot to sign an alliance, and community leaders from Qichun are scheduled to visit Jae-chun in June.

Jang made her debut in the entertainment industry as a singer, releasing her first album "The First Story" in 2001. The album spawned several hit songs including "Burying My Face In Tears" and "April Story," selling over 250,000 copies. She then became a household name with the success of her second album "Sweet Dream" (2002) which sold over 400,000 copies.

Jang also made an impressive crossover into acting, starring in several hit dramas and films including the popular sitcom "Non Stop 2" (MBC, 2001) and ""Successful Story of a Bright Girl" (SBS, 2002).

Reporter: Park So-yoen muse@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 27, 2010

Ahn Sung-ki Cherishes Life-Long Commitment to Charity

Actor Ahn Sung-ki plays the good guy in real life so often that it's changed his views on his work. "Now I feel awkward when I'm offered to play the role of a villain," he says. As a goodwill ambassador of the Korean Committee for UNICEF, Ahn is more frequently spotted at charity events these days than on the silver screen.

Last Wednesday Ahn traveled to Haiti to help out in the recovery efforts from the catastrophic January earthquake. During his four-day stay in the Caribbean country, he visited schools, orphanages and drinking water facilities and delivered UNICEF aid to quake victims.

"The debris of collapsed buildings was everywhere," Ahn said. "There were buildings that were barely standing, and they looked as if they would fall down at any moment. Due to post-traumatic stress disorder, some children were terrified whenever they saw buildings."

2010042700421_1.jpg

Ahn Sung-ki

The 58-year-old actor joined the UNICEF charity campaign two decades ago. "Twenty years ago it wasn't common for actors and entertainers to lend a helping hand to people in need, but it's changed now as Korea has transformed from a recipient country to a donor country," he says.

The actor donates his time, money and talent by taking part in philanthropic events and appearing in videos promoting charity activities two or three times a month. He says he plans to continue to help out as long as he is considered useful.

"Actors and entertainers often feel indebted for the love they receive from fans," he says. "I'm gratified that I have opportunities to repay the debt through charity activities. When I go out on rescue or charity missions, I reconsider my attitudes on life. It motivates me not to be self-indulgent and lazy."

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

April 27, 2010

Lee Min-ho attends last "Boys Over Flowers" Japan event

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042713494001192_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho [starhaus Entertainment]

Korean actor Lee Min-ho attended a fan event for hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers" held in Japan over the weekend.

The actor met with some 5,000 fans at "Boys Over Flowers Last Event - Graduation," held at Yokohama Pacific Hall on April 25, making his last appearance as the show's main character Goo Joon-pyo. "Thank you for the support and love you have shown toward me and the drama," the actor said. "'Boys Over Flowers' is a drama that gave me many memories. I am now officially graduating from the character Goo Joon-pyo, but I will be showing you new characters from now on."

The actor asked his Japanese fans to look forward to his current TV series "Personal Taste," which he said is likely to air in Japan sometime in the future. The event also featured several of his co-stars from "Boys Over Flowers" including actors Kim Bum, Ku Hye-sun and Kim Joon of T-Max. Popular boy band SHINee also heated up the venue with their musical performance.

Lee, 22, became a household name in Korea and throughout Asia last year with the success of "Boys Over Flowers". He currently stars in MBC's Wednesday/Thursday evening drama "Personal Taste" as a man pretending to be gay in order to move in with a female friend, played by Son Ye-jin.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 27, 2010

Out of the closet and into pop culture

Homosexuality is fast becoming a fixture onstage and on the silver screen. It has also started to adorn the small screen, a sign that the still controversial topic is establishing itself in the world of pop culture.

20100427001054_0.jpg

Since the first Korean film on the sensitive subject hit local movie theaters in 1976, homosexual characters have continued to pop up. At first, they were primarily relegated to the sidelines, to indie flicks and to the more experimental theater stage. Then Lee Jun-ki’s “The King and the Clown” (2005) made it big time at the box office. Gay characters started to take center stage, most notably in flicks like “A Frozen Flower” (2008) and “Antique” (2008). When homosexuality made it onto prime time television this year -- not as the subject of a two-part series or as something hinted at but never directly referenced -- then, suffice it to say, the topic came out of the closet and into the spotlight.

SBS’ “Beautiful Life,” a family drama that features a gay couple, has been racking up high ratings of around 17 to 18 percent. MBC’s “Personal Taste,” where heartthrob Lee Min-ho’s lead pretends to be gay, has been bringing in respectable ratings in the 11-13 percent range. Not only has homosexuality gone mainstream, it is doing so successfully.

But what does all this mean?

“It is a huge surprise for a drama that addresses issues like family conflict, conflict with one’s potential fiancee and coming out of the closet -- issues that many lesbians and gays go through in Korean society -- to air on Saturdays and Sundays on SBS,” Keii, a Lesbian Counseling Center in South Korea counselor, said in a telephone interview. Korean gay men’s human rights group Chingusai director Park Ki-ho wrote via e-mail: “One could say that having a homosexual character as one of the leads showcases a change in society.”

Ewha Womans University Department of Consumer Studies associate professor Cheon Hye-jung agrees. “It is clear that the frequent appearance of the topic of homosexuality in mass media is basically because our society, in comparison to how it was in the past, is becoming more open,” Cheon said. While the increase in gay characters could signal a change in society, it may also be influenced by a female-driven consumer market.

There is a significantly higher ratio of gay-themed television shows or films to their lesbian counterparts, which, according to “Antique” director Min Kyu-dong is “because consumers of art are primarily women.” “Since lots of good-looking men are appearing, more than would appear in a heterosexual-themed work, there is a lot more eye candy for women,” said Keii, who stressed that her opinions were not those of her organization.

Min’s own film, which featured a gay pastry chef, serves as a case in point. According to Min, “Antique” drew an audience that ended up being around 86 percent female. This might explain why the vast majority of homosexual or potentially gay characters are played by attractive actors like Zo In-sung (who starred in “A Frozen Flower”) or “Coffee Prince” heartthrob Kim Jae-wook (who starred in “Antique”).

Both “A Frozen Flower” director Yu Ha and “Antique” director Min revealed that they did not deliberately target female audiences when casting for their films. However, that does not change the fact that heartthrobs are playing gay leads, characters who tend to be successful and chic professionals. “Gays on the whole are portrayed within mass media as intelligent, good-looking, gentle men who hold professional positions,” said Cheon at Ewha Womans University. “If, up until now, gays were stereotyped as sick, poor and uneducated, then now they are starting to be stereotyped as good-looking and wealthy characters.”

As with any stereotype, the current one for gay men can hardly be seen as representative of the entire homosexual population. “Some might say, ‘How often do such beautiful people date like that? It is ridiculous. In reality, it is burly men with beer bellies who go out with each other,’” said Keii. “In real life, gays, not just lesbians, are leading tough lives,” Keii added. “Although homosexuality appears more frequently in mass media, it does not influence the actual lives of homosexuals greatly,” said Korean Sexual-Minority Culture and Rights Center activist Lien.

In fact, to think that the proliferation of gay characters in mass media is directly linked to a growing interest in homosexuals may be a serious misconception. “Frankly speaking, one cannot see the sudden and recent increase in movies that address homosexuality as a sign that Korean movies are starting to take a full-fledged interest in homosexuality,” director Yu Ha wrote in an e-mail interview.

Then what does it signify?

Cho Han-jun -- director of the play “Beautiful Sunday,” where Jung Il-woo took on the role of a gay man -- suggested that it might be a sign that consumers are always looking for the next hot topic, so when they are bored with a current trend they move onto another one, which, in this case, would be homosexuality. Cheon, however, begs to differ: “I think the frequent appearance of homosexuality in mass media could be a reflection that our society’s broad-mindedness towards diversity and minorities has reached a significantly higher level of tolerance.”

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

April 27, 2010

Hyun Bin to hold fan meeting in Japan this week

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042715550251220_1.jpg

Korean actor Hyun Bin [AM Entertainment]

Korean actor Hyun Bin will be visiting Japan later this week to hold a fan meeting in Yokohama, according to his agency AM Entertainment.

An official at AM explained that the actor will be meeting with some 7,000 fans at the event titled "2010 HYUN BIN Do the motion? Aloha, My barista!" on Thursday afternoon, 5 p.m, at the Yokohama Arena. The actor is rumored to display his barista skills and reveal videos that he shot in Hawaii, where he spent two weeks last month learning how to pick and roast coffee on a coffee farm.

Hyun Bin, whose real name is Kim Tae-pyung, rose to stardom when he appeared as a restaurant owner in smash hit TV series "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon" (MBC, 2005). He followed it up with dramas "The World That They Live In" (KBS2, 2008), where he started dating co-star Song Hye-kyo, and "Friend, Our Legend" (MBC, 2009), a small screen remake of the hit 2001 film "Friend" which starred Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878 <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 27, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Baek Sung-hyun

Reporter.Wee Geun-woo Editor.Jang Kyung-Jin, Lucia Hong Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk

2010042710462137331_2.jpg

Korean actor Baek Sung-hyun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

My name is Baek Sung-hyun. I was born on January 30, 1989. I currently live in Gwangmyeong-si which is in the Gyeonggi Province. It's a lot better living there now because I can drive but before Gwangmeyong was a kingdom in itself. You had to take care of everything within the city -- from daily necessities to enjoying a cultural life. It's kind of unfortunate that the distance keeps me from becoming close with my fellow actors. It's not a big deal going out to Seoul but after having a couple of drinks, getting back home becomes a problem. That is why I begged my mom if I can live on my own. If I get to live alone I think I would like to live in Sadang because it's close to Kangnam, the transportation is good and actor Hwang Jung-min lives near there too.

I would consider myself a heavy drinker. I heard that you inherit your capacity to drink from the person two generations above you. So I think I take after my grandfather because he is a heavy drinker as well. I can drink three bottles of soju and feel fine. I think I don't have any drinking habits in particular either. I just go home if I'm drunk. Sometimes I pass out from drinking but when I wake up I'm home. I have never lost my wallet or cellular phone from getting too drunk. I once even took a shower before I went to sleep even though I blacked out. I've made any mistakes out of drunkenness before but I once mistakenly fell asleep on the steps of an apartment because I was trying to find shelter from the rain. I could have just gone home but I only thought about going in to some building. From then on, I've been more cautious when I drink.

I played the role of Joong-won in the movie "Marathon" which I think I 'screwed up' on. Most of my scenes were omitted. My character was supposed to play a bigger role in the film but I didn't act well so a lot of my scenes got cut. I think it's because it's when I was frustrated what acting was about.

In the movie "Our School's E.T" I played a character that does boxing, so I trained like crazy for six months. That is how with just one punch, I once even broke the nose of my opponent. I'm the type that usually learns things for just about a month like guitar or working out but when it comes to preparing for a role in a drama or movie, I really focus on it.

The scene I am most disappointed about in "Blades of Blood" is when I aim my knife at Baek Ji (played by Han Ji-hye). I threaten her not to follow me even though I love her but I don't think I did a good job in showing my inner conflict with that. I think I should have shown that I am conscious of Hwang Jeong-hak (played by Hwang Jeong-min) standing behind me.

Director Lee Jun-ik said that "Cha Seung-won is like sports car running on the asphalt with the correct directions and Hwang Jeong-min is a wild horse-like SUV racing off the road." I think that it is true and I hope to acquire both characteristics in myself.

It was my idea to have my mustache grow out. As the story develops, my character Kyeon-ja's mustache becomes darker. When it first began to grow, the hair was thin and sparse but became dark by the time I was fighting with Lee Mong-hak. I wanted the mustache to show that Kyeon-ja had matured. And if he was too clean-cut, I think he would have given off less of the vibe that he was desperate.

I would like to try playing the role that Viggo Mortensen did in the movie "The Road." How a father sacrifices himself for his son even when he is in an extreme situation. If it was me, I would have hit my son and said "Hey! Get your life in order!"

I would like to become close friends with actors Lee Jun-ki and Jang Keun-suk who have worked with director Lee in his previous productions. I wish I had a chance to meet them in person to say hello. Hopefully, after they read this article they will consider meeting with me.

Basketball is the most important and fun thing in my life outside acting. I go to the indoor gym in Gwangmyeong to play almost everyday if I don't have work. It's the place where the best basketball players come to play. My friends and I get together and we'll split up into two teams: A level and B level. I barely made it into the A level team. The people that I play with are so good that I realized basketball is a stressful game. I think I'm currently the lowest ranked person on our six-member team. I am the shooting-type and when we practice, I get all my shots in but just not when we're actually playing a game.

2010042715250131323_1.jpg

2010042715331005903_1.jpg

2010042715250131323_2.jpg

Actor Baek Sung-hyun, who will appear in film "Blades of Blood" due out April 29, poses during an interview with 10Asia.

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo eight@ Editor: Jang Kyung-Jin three@, Lucia Hong luciahong@ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 / 2 / 3

April 27, 2010

60 Percent of Actresses Offered Benefits for Sex

By Park Si-soo

Staff Reporter

100427_p02_60.jpg

An up-and-coming actress in her mid-20s is still reeling from a nightmarish experience she had a couple of years ago. "I was with the boss of my agency that evening," she said requesting anonymity. "We went shopping together at brand-name shops. His behavior was unusual as he provided lavish hospitality, going on a spending spree in buying me pricy clothes and other accessories. Afterwards, he escorted me to his luxurious car."

According to the actress, the man drove toward the area where she lived. She thought he would drive her home. But he pulled over near a hotel and propositioned her. "He told me that how much I know about men would decide how famous I would be," she said.

She terminated her contract with the agency but this just highlights the lack of a fundamental solution to prevent future incidents from occurring, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) said Tuesday in a 294-page report on the rampant rate of such propositioning of actresses and actress-hopefuls by those who can influence their career development in the domestic entertainment industry.

The report, jointly conducted by the state human rights agency and the Korean Women's Development Institute, interviewed 111 actresses and 240 actress-hopefuls between September and December of last year. The findings were shocking. More than 60 percent of the interviewees received at least one proposal to have sexual intercourse from influential figures of TV stations or other "big shots" from all walks of society, the report said.

Nearly three out of ten said they fell prey to acts of sexual molestation such as groping of their breasts, hips or legs. Around 7 percent of them were raped, it added.

Fifty-five percent of the interviewed actresses said they received at least one offer of "sponsorship" - a secret contract between a rich man and his favorite actress in which the actress receives financial support during a certain period of time in exchange for having sexual relations with him on a regular basis. "I got such an offer at the initial stage of my career," said an actress in her mid 40s in the report. "He told me if I accepted, he would support me unlimitedly. But I rejected him."

Among those who made such offers were wealthy businessmen, TV and movie directors, and politicians, the NHRC said. Publication of the report was motivated by the death of actress Jang Ja-yeon in March of last year. The 26-year-old actress, whose popularity was on the increase after starring in a hit contemporary drama, committed suicide at her home, leaving behind a note describing her hard time enduring forced "sponsorship" by her agency owner. The note, made public by TV news reports, created a great stir among the entertainment industry and caused society to question how prevalent such nasty practices were in the winner-take-all industry.

At that time, some corporate figures and media moguls were suspected of having sex with the late actress, but the police investigation ended up finding "little evidence of their involvement."

"This report will raise public awareness of how rampant such a practice is in the industry. We will come up with countermeasures based on the report," said a spokesman for the human rights agency.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

April 28, 2010

60% of Actresses 'Accosted for Sex by Bigwigs'

Six out of 10 actresses in Korea have been propositioned for sex by influential figures, according to a poll of 111 actresses by the Korean Women's Development Institute commissioned by the National Human Rights Commission.

In the survey published Tuesday, 60.2 percent of respondents said they had been accosted for sex by senior figures in the broadcast industry or other prominent people. The poll was conducted between September and December last year and involved detailed interviews. Top actresses accounted for around 10 percent of respondents.

Among the actresses surveyed, 58.3 percent said they had felt sexually harassed by people who "stared at certain parts of their bodies," while 64.5 percent said they had to listen to sexually explicit jokes and 67.3 percent said they were judged by their appearance. Some were directly asked to have sex, or even suffered sexual harassment or assault. Some 21.5 percent of respondents said they had received direct requests for sex and 31.5 percent that they had been groped. Some 6.5 percent said they were sexually assaulted.

Wealthy men were cited as the most common group of people seeking sex with the stars, cited by 43.9 percent of respondents, followed by TV producers and directors with 38.6 percent. Heads of TV production companies came next with 22.8 percent and senior businessmen with 15.8 percent. Multiple answers were possible. Almost 60 percent of respondents said they believed rejecting sexual advances would disadvantage their careers, and 48.4 percent said they had in fact lost out on appearances on shows because they refused.

Aspiring actresses also suffered other abuses. Among aspiring actresses surveyed, 72.3 percent were forced to go on a diet and 58.7 percent said they were told to have plastic surgery.

The NHRC said one of the main reasons for the abuses in the entertainment industry was the competition of a large number of actresses for a limited number of parts. "Each year, 48,000 aspiring actresses graduate from various acting schools in major cities, and there is no way of telling how many more women are hired by small talent agencies," a commission official said.

The NHRC called for improvements including a revision of regulations to mandate a financial background check of candidates who wish to open talent agencies and a review of contracts by the National Labor Relations Commission.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

April 27, 2010

TV Viewers Miss Entertainment Shows

By Kwon Mee-yoo

Staff Reporter

100427_p04_TV.jpg

Following the tragic sinking of the frigate Cheonan there has been a complete absence of comedy and entertainment programs for one month. It is understandable that the terrible incident would alter television programming but viewers are slowly becoming impatient for some lighthearted shows.

After the sinking of the naval ship, broadcasting stations eliminated all popular entertainment shows, such as "Infinite Challenge" on MBC and "Happy Sunday ㅡ One Night, Two Days" on KBS, as some 40 shows were taken off the air.

Singer and entertainer Kim C commented on the broadcasters' arbitrary measures through Twitter on April 4. "It's like 'Alice in Wonderland.' Sport is OK, movies are OK and dramas are OK, but no entertainment programs. Does this mean no more laughing?" Kim posted.

Though viewers know the suitableness of the solemn mood, they are not happy with the extensive entertainment-free television period. "We should mourn for the deceased sailors, but I think this extensive cancellation of entertainment programs is too much. We need a good laugh sometimes, don't we?" 30-year-old office worker, Kim Jun-young said. "The broadcasting stations are applying a double standard on entertainment shows. They are airing dramas and sports programs, but being harsh on entertainment programs."

Some schedules are being normalized after weeks of cancellations, but the return to full broadcasting of entertainment programs is still unclear. Kim Eun-sook, a 42-year-old housewife, said that people shouldn't have to be serious all day long and deprived of the right to watch entertaining TV programs. "For four weeks, I have been unable to watch my favorite entertainment programs. Enjoying entertainment shows does not necessarily mean that we don't feel sad for the victims," she said.

MBC TV aired a long-awaited episode of the variety show "We Got Married" last Saturday, for the first time in four weeks. Though the episode was filmed about two months ago around St. Valentine's Day and Seollal, or Lunar New Year's Day, viewers welcomed the return of the program and it marked a rating of 8.9 percent, beating rival program, KBS's "Star Golden Bell" at 7.7 percent, according to AGB Nielson. However, it is not scheduled to be aired this Saturday. MBC is on strike against its executives, including new president, Kim Jae-chul and the walkout will also affect the cancellations.

KBS aired "Win Win" hosted by actor, Kim Seung-woo last Tuesday and "Happy Together" Thursday, but did not resume airing "Gag Concert." All three stations are expected to cancel more shows until the funerals for the Cheonan sailors are over. KBS said it would resume entertainment programming from Friday, starting with "Music Bank."

A 23-year-old university student said, "I can't understand the standards of the stations. They cancel entertainment shows to show their condolences for the late sailors but air comedy movies. They should have proper guidelines for situations like this."

Credits: meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

April 28, 2010

"Dong Yi" steams past competition on Mon-Tue nights

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042808385408532_1.jpg

A scene of Dong Yi (played by Han Hyo-joo) from "Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" [MBC]

MBC's traditional TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" remained the top Monday and Tuesday night drama as its ratings continued to steam forward this week, according to statistics on Wednesday.

Research firm TNS Media Korea revealed that "Dong Yi," now into its sixth week of showing, scored an average rating of 22.1 percent on April 26 and 27 to record its highest rating to date and a 2.7 percent jump from the previous week.

Figures by AGB Nielsen Media Research also showed that the historical drama was no match for other prime time line-up shows, hitting ratings in the 21 percent range on both days this week while gaining 2.6 percent from its previous two episodes.

This week's show focused on how Dong Yi (played by Han Hyo-joo) rose in status to become one of the ladies in the court. Meanwhile, ratings for "The Birth of the Rich," starring Ji Hyun woo and Lee Bo-young, decreased slightly to the 13 and 14 percent range on both charts but stayed the second most-watched drama during the same time slot.

"The Birth of the Rich" follows the story of the Seok-ho (played by Ji Hyun-woo) who goes in search for his biological father.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 28, 2010

Korean drama "Strike Love" in talks for Japanese remake

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042812425173743_1.jpg

Official drama poster of "Strike Love" [MBC]

Korean baseball drama "Strike Love," being broadcast in Japan since mid-March, is in discussions for a Japanese remake, according to the show's producer Green City Pictures Inc. on Wednesday.

An official from Green City Pictures stated in a press release that "nothing is final yet but we are in talks with two production companies in Japan for selling over rights for a remake." "The elements of rivalry, love and revenge between the two male characters in 'Love' has struck a cord of interest in the Japanese market," explained director Song Chang-soo of "Strike Love."

The sports drama, which began its run on March 18 on Fuji TV's CS channel, was the most-searched show for two consecutive weeks on the company's official website since its premiere. "Strike Love" was originally a 20-part series which aired in Korea in May 2009 but was cut short by four shows after suffering from low ratings.

"Strike" is based on a popular comic series by noted Korean artist Lee Hyun-sae. Korean actors Yoon Tae-young and Park Sung-min star as two baseball players who are in love with the same girl, played by actress Kim Min-joung.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 28, 2010

Lee Jun-ki to enter military next month

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042817015248022_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki in TV series "Hero" [MBC]

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki will be leaving for the military next month, leading to a change of cast in a film and drama he was set to appear in before joining the army. In a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Wednesday, relevant sources from the film "Grand Prix" and TV series "Faith" said that they were casting an actor to replace Lee since he will be entering the military on May 3.

Last week, Lee's agency JG Company announced that the actor had received a notice from Korea's Military Manpower Administration but asked to defer his entrance date to fulfill his current work commitments before joining the two-year service. Lee has been shooting "Grand Prix" with top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee since April 2 but it appears that he was unable to delay his military duties as he has now decided to pull out from both projects.

Lee, 27, gained fame in Korea and throughout Asia after playing a woman-like clown in the 2005 hit film "The King and the Clown" and most recently portrayed a passionate magazine reporter in MBC TV series "Hero".

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2PM Chosen as Favorite Commercial Models

A survey has shown that the idol group 2PM was found to be the most preferred commercial models during the first half of this year.

The professional brand consulting company Brand 38 has conducted a survey to ask viewers about their favorite TV commercial stars during the first half of this year, and 16.01 percent of respondents supported the group 2PM, who ranks in first place. The company released the result of the survey on April 26. In the same surveys conducted in the second half of last year, 2PM came in at 7th place.

Following 2PM, comedian Yoo Jae Seok came in second, the idol group Girls Generation third, "figure queen” Kim Yu Na fourth, actor Kang Dong Won fifth, and the group 2AM in sixth. Also, the group CNBLUE, who debuted this year, ranked in seventh place thanks to the popularity of member Jung Yong Hwa. Brown Eyed Girls, Beast, Shiny, and T-ara also appeared among the top ten, which indicates the growing popularity of idol groups.

The survey was conducted via one-on-one interviews of 1,012 people aged over seventeen and living in the Seoul and Geonggi area.

Source: KBS Global

April 28, 2010

Korean Cinema Taking Root in World Academia

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100428_p18_1.jpg

In recent years, South Korean cinema has established a notable place on the world map ― two local titles will be competing at the Cannes Film Festival next month.

Moreover, the recognition is beginning to branch out of the festival circuit into underground youth culture, and finally, academia.

Before examining the phenomenon, it is interesting to note Japan’s example: cultural content such as manga (comic books) and anime have long become mainstream entertainment while many institutes of higher education place importance on Japanese studies. This can be seen as partially the result of when people who discover the magic of manga as kids grow up to become specialists in Japanese history and culture, according to John Duncan, professor and director of the Center for Korean Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

South Korean cinema has similar potential. American youths in remote parts of the United States, in places where they may not have Korean friends who act as cultural ambassadors, are downloading Korean films, said Duncan.

More importantly, a more “legal” channel is becoming available to foster long-term interest ― and academic focus ― on Korean cinema. Since 2007, the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) has been running a 100 million won (roughly $90,000) support program to provide DVDs, books and other film-related material to designated institutes across the world.

In Australia, Korean cinema has a stronger presence due to exposure through film festivals.

However, to some degree it is not as easy to buy Korean DVDs these days because of their online availability, said Elizabeth Connor, school administration manager at the University of Sydney. “In this environment, the KOFIC contribution to our university is even more valuable, as it allows access to rare, classic, English-subtitled Korean films readily available for use in teaching and research.”

Currently 25 academic and cultural centers around North America, Europe and Asia/Oceana are beneficiaries of the three-year grant. More institutes are expected to receive support, as applications for the 2010 term were due Wednesday. “We notified universities with films studies and/or Korean studies programs, national libraries and film-related institutes about the KOFIC Hub-Library program and began accepting applications. A panel of reviewers decides which libraries to support in careful consideration of geographical importance and prospects for development of Korean film studies, among others,” said Park Ji-yin from the KOFIC’s International Promotion Department.

The selected centers are guaranteed either full or partial support for three years to become a Korean film hub for their respective regions.

United States

100428_p18_amer1.jpg

The first recipients of the KOFIC grant were mostly large American institutes such as UCLA, Columbia University and Korean cultural centers in New York, which are home to some of the largest Korean communities overseas.

At Harvard University, the Yenching Library saw a significant increase in the size of its Korean film collection. “Before we would make individual purchases if there was a request for a specific material, and we had no plans to make an all-encompassing section,” said Kang Mi-kyung, librarian for the Korean collection.

Smaller institutes such as Smith College, a liberal arts college in Massachusetts, are also benefitting from the grant. Smith plans to offer a course on Korean film and literature this fall semester.

Since 2008, KOFIC started receiving more applications from Europe, and recently, other first-time countries such as Canada, Mongolia, Vietnam and Israel. Designated “hubs” therefore provide materials to places with a higher demand for Korean cultural content as well as regions where it would otherwise be difficult to access information on Korean cinema.

100428_p18_amer2.jpg

Germany

Lately the Free University of Berlin’s Institute of Korean Studies began to shift its focus from what had traditionally been politics to culture and literature, said Carolin Dunkel, who is in charge of Korean film content at the school library. The use of movies featuring “pansori” (Korean opera) has become thus integral as teaching material.

Here, students also regularly watch films in a Korean cinema club. The school has been a beneficiary of the KOFIC grant since 2007.

100428_p18_ger.jpg

The Berlin Film Festival regularly invites Korean titles, and Kim Ki-duk’s “Spring, Sumer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring” was widely released in local theaters. Nevertheless, it is still difficult to see Korean movies on a regular basis. “We are trying to promote our Korean films to a greater audience by joining film-libraries-networks and linking our catalogue to meta-search catalogues to provide easier access. And we are preparing the exchange of DVDs between university institutions,” said Dunkel.

Israel

Korean movies have started appearing at Israel’s Jerusalem and Haifa Film Festivals over the course of the past seven or so years, and are now available in local cinemas, cable TV and video stores.

At Tel-Aviv University, Korean studies professor Alon Levkowitz uses DVDs provided by the KOFIC for lectures. “The movies allow (the students) to visualize Korea and to understand the history of Korea in another way,” he said about showing titles such as Im Kwon-taek’s period piece “Chunhyang” and the Korean War (1950-53) action flick “Tae-guk-gi.”

Outside of class, students have a wider selection of titles for the Korean cinema club’s regular screenings. The club’s membership size has been on the rise over the years, and those who are more serious can take the course “New Korean Cinema.”

Regarding the potential of Korean film studies as an established area of study in Israel, Levkowitz said he sees an increase in the number of publications on the subject. An Asian Studies conference held last year at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, for example, had a speaker introduce Korea’s first blockbuster film “Swiri” (1999).

Australia

100428_p18_aus.jpg

Korean film studies are already well-established in Australia. In 2009, the 6th Biennial Conference of the Korean Studies Association of Australasia was held at the University of Sydney, and one of the panels was devoted to film studies.

“Korean film has been accepted into film studies on its own merits, so that it is no longer seen as a novelty, but rather almost as an expected presence,” said Connor from the university. Korean film, however, is still largely studied in conjunction with other areas such as Korean or Asian media/arts.

The school has received about 400 movies and related books through the grant, which proved to be useful for organizing events such as “The Forgotten War - Remembered in Film” in time for the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, said Connor. “This event materialized because of the excellent range of films we received from the KOFIC that included historical as well as contemporary genres and assisted this area of research.”

United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom, film festivals and arthouse cinemas regularly screen Korean movies, and there is also an annual Korean film festival.

“Cinema is not simply a window on Korea, but rather it is a part of Korean culture that travels to us. As interest in Korea has grown as economic and other links have grown, cinema is a particularly valuable resource for enabling students to understand Korea,” said Chris Berry, professor of film & television studies at Goldsmith, University of London.

“In addition, Korean films have become more influential in global cinema, as is demonstrated in the purchase of remake rights by U.S. studios. Therefore, studying Korean cinema is also important for understanding global cinema trends.”

KOFIC’s support has expanded the libary’s Korean cinema collection, which attracts students from other schools in the area, he said. “The existence of the collection makes it possible for us to support more Ph.D level research into Korean cinema.”

Paradigm Shift in Digital Age

Providing DVDs to libraries comes most timely in this fast-evolving digital age.

“Audiovisual material for lectures is becoming increasingly important in higher education. We now have about 400 more Korean DVDs, and this has helped us greatly in making the transition from a traditional library to the new media format,” said Kang from Harvard. “A student studying Korean arts and culture wanting to write about (the folktale) ‘Chunhyang’ can now watch film renditions, in addition to reading the story.”

Moreover, the expanded Korean film collection proves helpful for events such as Korean Cinematheque, a movie screening and forum series organized by the Harvard Korea Institute. The Harvard Crimson magazine also noted the popularity of Bong Joon-ho’s “Mother” at the Harvard Film Archive. “I wouldn’t say that there is a direct cause-and-effect relationship between the expanded collection and increased interest in Korean cinema. But I’d say the two are strongly correlated,” said Kang.

The librarian moreover emphasized the importance of continued support. “As much as the project is about establishing a ‘hub library,’ it is in the best interest, for Korean cinema as a whole and academic institutions, to continue making Korean films and related material available to the public. Our library had no plans to expand the Korean film collection, and this project is very meaningful for the future of the development of Korean film/media.”

The hub library program is expected to continue in the near future, according to Park. Some however, question the benefits of the endeavor, particularly as the costly project does not yield immediate financial profits. One may however consider a popular marketing tactic. The Wall Street Journal is one of the most popular business newspapers in the world and it makes sure it stays that way by “fostering” future long-term subscribers ― college students.

They offer a 70-percent discount off the cover price, and the youths, having become “tamed,” avid readers of the paper, will continue to feed on it as full-paying members of the labor force post-graduation. This is called long-term investment ― targeting minds that are soaking up everything like a sponge before they harden and form lifelong tastes.

Similarly, there is nothing like stumbling upon a great movie at a library or a free local screening, and the lasting, colorful audiovisual experience it would inspire in young minds ― not just for the future of Korean cinema but for the universal appreciation of the arts wherever one may be in the world.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

April 29, 2010

New subtitle service kicks off

If you’re a foreign national in Korea, it can be difficult to find a place to watch a first-run Korean film with English subtitles. There are a few organizations and a handful of movie theaters that do screen these films with subtitles. But the screening times can be limited and the locations not always convenient.

That’s about to change, as the number of theaters offering screenings with subtitles is soon set to increase. To meet foreign residents’ growing demand for greater access to cultural life, the Seoul Metropolitan Government and CGV, a local theater chain, will screen 20 Korean films with English subtitles starting today, the city government said in a statement yesterday.

The expansion of the English subtitle service is aimed at promoting Korean film among foreign residents in the country.

The service was first introduced last year, when 10 Korean films were screened with English subtitles at two theaters in Seoul, drawing about 20,000 foreign visitors, the release said.

This year, four CGV theaters were added, with locations in Gangnam, Yongsan, Myeongdong and Guro. “These four theaters are located in places where there is a large expat population,” said Kim Dae-hee, an official at CGV who is in charge of promoting the English subtitle service. “We also hope this service will appeal to Korean students who want to learn English,” Kim added.

“Blades of Blood,” which opens at theaters nationwide today, will be the first film screened as part of the expanded service.

Blades of Blood, directed by Lee Joon-ik (“The King and The Clown”) is a period film set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). “Maid” by Im Sang-soo, “Poetry” by Lee Chang-dong and “Dreams Come True” by Kye Yun-sik are also among the 20 films chosen.

The films will be screened more than three times a day, and foreign fans will be invited to special events designed to help increase their understanding of Korean film, officials said. “The English subtitle program will help boost foreigners’ understanding of Korean culture and improve Seoul’s image as foreigner-friendly,” said Ma Chae-sook, a culture official at the Seoul government.

The city government is also planning to include subtitles in other foreign languages, including Chinese and Japanese, in the second half of this year, the official said.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

Selection of Korean Films to Be Screened with English Subtitles

The Seoul Metropolitan government, in cooperation with Korea's largest multiplex theater operator CGV, will provide English subtitles for 20 Korean movies this year.

Beginning with Lee Jun-ik's latest work "Blades of Blood," slated to premiere on Thursday, English subtitles will be offered in four CGV theaters that are most frequently visited by foreigners including branches in Gangnam, Yongsan, Myeong-dong and Guro.

Korean movies that will be featured at this year's Cannes Film Festival, including "The Housemaid" and "Poetry," will be among those to screen with English captions.

Arirang News l english.chosun.com

April 29, 2010

Film giants shift gears with new release

Actor Hwang Jung-min and director Lee Joon-ik faced, and overcame, personal and professional obstacles to make their first cinematic collaboration a success.

28225053.jpg

Lee Joon-ik

Actor Hwang Jung-min and director Lee Joon-ik, two giants in the Korean film industry, have walked very different paths to success. But their much-anticipated film “Blades of Blood,” which brought them together for the first time, has given them a new definition of the word.

The film, a period piece set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), is set to hit theaters nationwide today. It has already been sold to as many as five film distribution companies overseas in Belgium, Germany and Luxemburg.

Hwang, 40, who has had a 16-year career on stage and screen, is now an A-list actor. But he hasn’t always been so popular. He went through a long struggle for recognition, with people saying he “didn’t have the right face for film.” He even considered giving up his dream. But his big break came when he was cast in “Waikiki Brothers,” a 2001 film that was a sleeper hit in Korea. In his role as a hopeless drummer, Hwang left a strong impression and earned favorable reviews.

Lee rewrote Korean film history as the director of the 2005 mega hit “The King and The Clown.” The film was set in the Joseon Dynasty and depicts the lives of the “gwangdae,” or entertainers, in ancient Korea who satirized the “yangban” or ruling class. It made waves here and abroad for its overtly homosexual subtext. The film has held the No. 1 position in terms of ticket sales in Korea since 1997, when the Korean Film Council began collecting the data, beating formidable films such as “Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone” and “Avatar.”

28225202.jpg

Hwang Jung-min

Blades of Blood provided both artists with an opportunity to shift gears and take on new challenges. After playing an innocent man who falls in love with an actress in his first TV drama in June, Hwang was looking for a strong character to play.

Lee was under pressure to live up to his label as the “10-million director,” a reference to his King and Clown success, after his 2008 film “Sunny” flopped.

At a recent press conference, both Hwang and Lee said they are happy with their new film. In the film, Hwang plays the role of Hwang Jeong-hak, a blind but legendary swordsman who chases Lee Mong-hak, a former fellow swordsman. Lee, played by Cha Seung-won, is a power-hungry swordsman who has ruthlessly murdered his opponents in a bid to overthrow the Joseon Dynasty.

For Hwang, making the film presented a physical and mental challenge, as he had to swing around a sword with his eyes closed. “The action scenes were O.K., but portraying a blind man was very difficult because it’s something that I haven’t experienced,” he said when asked about the difficulties he faced during production. “So I went to schools for the blind [to observe their movements], but it still wasn’t an easy role to play.”

When asked if he was ever injured during the action scenes because he couldn’t see what he was doing, he said, “My fellow actors treated me well.” Hwang laughed as he revealed, “This is a secret but I would open my eyes a little whenever the cameras weren’t zoomed in.”

Meanwhile, this film was not an easy one for Lee, the director, who confessed that he struggled to follow his own act after the high of The King and The Clown and the low of Sunny. Lee, who has made three period pieces altogether, added that making this kind of film is “a very tough and difficult journey.”

With Blades of Blood, he adds yet another dimension to the historical depictions of Korea on film. “It was hard to create a whole new story set in the Joseon Dynasty,” he said. “But I believe a well-made period film represents one country and culture because period films mirror society, culture and all.”

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

April 29, 2010

Lee Min-ki tapped to play lead in new Yoon Je-kyun pic

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lucia Hong

2010042910352797873_1.jpg

Korean model / actor Lee Min-ki [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean model and actor Lee Min-ki has been chosen to play the male lead in a new production by blockbuster director Yoon Je-kyun, according to the movie's producer JK Film on Thursday.

"We have finalized our selection and Lee Min-ki will play the lead for the new picture," Yoon, CEO of JK Film, told reporters on Tuesday of his choice for the film tentatively titled "Quick."

"Quick" is an action movie about motorcycle racing and will be helmed by director Jo Beom-goo, whose works include action comedy "Riverbank Legends" and "The Bad Utterances."

Lee Min-ki made his debut in the entertainment industry in 2005 with his role in the drama "Be Strong, Geum Soon!" Followed by appearing in the series "I Really Really Like You" and "Evasive Inquiry Agency."

He also stepped into the big screen with appearing in "A Good Day to Have an Affair" and in the Korean blockbuster "Haeundae," which was the highest grossing Korean film last year.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <©10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 29, 2010

Ku Hye-sun in talks to appear in TV series "The Musical"

Cho Bum-ja. Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042913242744569_1.jpg

Korean actress Ku Hye-sun [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Ku Hye-sun is currently in talks to appear in a new TV series titled "The Musical," according to her agency YG Entertainment on Thursday.

"The casting for the drama has not been finalized... It is one of many offers that she has received," an official at YG said in a phone call with Asia Economic Daily. "She is planning to appear in a drama in the second half of the year and so we are talking with [the producers of] 'The Musical.'"

Talks of her appearance in "The Musical" escalated when she showed up yesterday to watch a performance of musical "Monte Cristo", starring Ock Ju-hyun of former girl band Fin.K.L., accompanied by actor Choi Daniel who is also rumored to appear in "Musical".

YG explained, however, that Ku had only gone to see "Monte Cristo" to support Ock, a close friend of the actress.

Ku, who had originally planned to debut as a singer, started acting in several TV dramas and made a breakthrough with a role in 2006 KBS TV series "Pure in Heart." The 25-year-old actress then became a household name throughout Asia after starring in the mega-hit KBS drama "Boys Over Flowers" as Geum Jan-di last year.

Known to many as also a talented artist, novelist, scriptwriter and an aspiring director, Ku will be premiering her first feature film "Magic" at the Jeonju International Film Festival, which kicks off in Korea today.

Reporter : Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived