[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

April 22, 2010

Hwang Jung Min: ‘I Acted Comfortably with My Eyes Closed’

"I did not just want to act the role of a blind man; instead, I wanted to act comfortably while I just closed my eyes,” said actor Hwang Jung Min, who appeared in the movie “Blades of Blood” and demonstrated realistic acting as a blind character. He played the legendary blind swordsman Hwang Jung Hak in the movie, which was filmed against the backdrop of the middle of the Chosun dynasty. The character is a friend of Lee Mong Hak (Cha Seung Won), who has been dreaming of creating a whole new world and instigating a rebellion, but in the end they end up going their separate ways due to different ideologies regarding the uprising.

In a recent interview held in a café located in Gangnam, Hwang Jung Min said, “Instead of trying to be a blind man, I tried my best to act as natural as possible suitable to the storyline and the character. To prepare for the role, I went to a school for the blind, participated in a class and talked a lot with classmates. But basically, I thought that just trying to imitate those blind people was not important. The character Hwang Jung Hak is a blind man, but the more important point was to understand the inner side of the character, and I tried to approach this internal perspective when I acted.”

7356_1090_l.jpg

In the movie, the character always walks about slightly hunched, but shows agile movement as a swordsman. Hwang added odd laughter and a pleasant Jeolla-do dialect to the character, and these aspects have caught the attention of viewers.

Hwang said, "I performed with careful attention to fencing and I repeatedly listened to the Jeolla-do accent after recording. Other features such as word additions and postures actually automatically emerged as if I had lived as the character Hwang Jung Hak.”

Actors are sometimes so immersed in a character that they can deliver somewhat exaggerated acting. In addition, as the role played by Hwang Jung Hak is a blind man, it was possible for actors who previously took on the role to play the character primarily using facial expressions because acting with the eyes was impossible. But actor Hwang Jung Min revealed balanced acting in the movie while he expressed the character’s emotions without giving a dull performance. He said, “The important point that I emphasized as I acted is to maintain the emotion of the character from the beginning to a certain point and then release the emotion all at once. Actually, maintaining the emotion was the most difficult part for me. I did not care too much about facial expressions.”

7356_1091_l.jpg

About the harmony with other actors, Hwang said, “I worked with Cha Seung Won for the first time, but the harmony between us was perfect. As he is an excellent actor, we made a good team and the filming progressed quite fast.”

Hwang Jung Min is one of the actors who are always busy doing many things in many different areas. Last year, he appeared in movies such as “Private Eye” and “Five Senses of Eros” and in the drama “The Accidental Couple.” He also performed in theater works and played the leading actor in the musical “Wedding Singer” and the play “University of Laughs.“ He said with smile, “When actors take a rest, they are soon out of a job, so I feel a sense of relief when I act because I can say, ‘I am living as a member of this society.’ Sometimes, when I have to write down my job at the airport for immigration purposes, I am embarrassed to fill in the blank with 'actor.' How can I say that I am an actor when I just rest at home without doing any work? So, I always try to do my best in acting.”

He is currently filming the movie “Unfair Deal” directed by Ryu Seung Wan, and he has already reportedly chosen his next work. He briefly introduced that next work by saying, “Basically, a journalist will lead the story. A certain group is trying to overthrow the country, but a leading character who is a journalist resolves the situation.”

Hwang said, "To prepare for my next role as a journalist, I am planning to experience being a city desk reporter for a month. I cannot tell you details of the movie since I am the only person who has been cast so far. It is a movie directed by new director."

Source: KBS Global

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 22, 2010

Kim Ji-suk to enter military in June after "Personal Taste" wraps

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042214341915148_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Ji-suk [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Kim Ji-suk will be entering the Korean army in June to fulfill his military duties after MBC TV series "Personal Taste" ends its run next month.

An official at his agency said in a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Wednesday that recent rumors of Kim enlisting on May 26 were "not true" and that he has yet to receive a draft notice from the military. Actor Oh Ji-ho recently joked at a fan meeting that Kim Ji-suk will be going to the military on May 26 and I think that is how the rumors started," said the official, adding that Kim is "planning to go to the military sometime in June."

The actor had received his first notice from Korea's Military Manpower Administration while he was shooting the film "Take Off" last year. At the time, he had pushed back his entrance date by signing an agreement that he would be going to the military by the end of June 2010.

"Personal Taste", a Wednesday and Thursday evening series starring Son Ye-jin and Lee Min-ho, will end its showing on May 20.

Kim Ji-suk, whose real name is Kim Bo-suk, has appeared in many television dramas and films including the recent hit drama "The Slave Hunters" (KBS2, 2010) and sports flick "Take Off" (2009). He turned 29 years old yesterday.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 22, 2010

Korea leads Asian films at Cannes

20100422000962_0.jpg

Come next month, South Korean auteurs will be leading a posse of Asian films selected to compete at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

The 63rd edition of the biggest annual international film competition is set to roll out its red carpet on May 12 for a two-week engagement sure to offer plenty of the glitz and glam the festival has become known for.

20100422000961_0.jpg

This year, a host of filmmakers from Asia will be vying for the coveted top prize, the Palme d‘Or.

Of the nine productions from Asia, four will be from Korean directors. This includes Lee Chang-dong, who will be returning to the French Riviera with “Poetry,” starring ’60s screen icon Yoon Jung-hee.

The novelist-turned-filmmaker and former culture minister is no stranger to the event as he last competed in Cannes with “Secret Sunshine” in 2007. Though Lee went home empty-handed that year, the film garnered leading actress Jeon Do-yeon with the Best Actress honors. The 38-year-old screen siren will be crossing paths with Lee again this year as she is vying for another acting award with her leading role in Im Sang-soo’s remake of the 1960 classic, “The Housemaid.”

The vaunted actress has been called the “Queen of Cannes” since her win three years ago and in “The Housemaid,” Jeon revisits the carnal side she famously showed in the 1999 film, “Happy End.” In her latest she plays the film’s title character, who begins a torrid sexual affair with her headmaster, played by heartthrob Lee Jung-jae. Jeon, never one to shy away from on-screen nudity and sex, is sure to grab the attention of European and North American distributors as the film has been described as a racy thriller.

Lucky for her and Im, controversy has historically been an effective selling point for films from the Far East. Asian films making the rounds on the festival circuit have traditionally attracted buyers from companies which distribute films targeted at niche markets.

Films with graphic depictions of ultra-violence or the sexual objectification of its actresses have been known to attract a sizeable foreign audience from the West. United States-based U.K. distribution house Tartan has over the past decade snatched up North American and British distribution rights to films by Park Chan-wook, Kim Ki-duk, Hong Sang-soo, Kim Ji-woon and other Asian films that have fallen under such categories under their “Tartan Asia Extreme” banner.

With “The Housemaid” director Im Sang-soo, known for a bit of cage-rattling with topical films like “A Good Lawyer’s Wife” and “The President’s Last Bang,” local film experts say the film is likely to find foreign distribution during the competition.

Darcy Paquet, a local film critic and correspondent for Screen Daily International and industry trade magazine Variety, said the film’s “strong genre element as a thriller with great imagery and sexuality looks easy to market to foreign distributors.” He adds that “Poetry” has already been sold to a French distributor and is set for a limited release there in August.

Joining the two heavy favorites among the invited is rising newcomer Jang Cheol-soo with his serial killer tale “Bedevilled,” which will be competing in the non-official International Critics’ Week competition.

Film festival stalwart Hong Sang-soo will be competing in the festival’s Un Certain Regard section with his latest yuppies-behaving-badly drama, “Ha Ha Ha.”

20100422000876_0.jpg

Moon So-ri (left) with co-star Kim Sang-kyung in writer-director Hong Sang-soo’s “Ha Ha Ha”

Hong’s film will be joined by Indian Vikramaditya Motwane’s directorial debut “Udaan”; Japanese director Hideo Nakata‘s English-language feature, “Chatroom,” filmed in the U.K.; Dutch director David Verbeek’s thriller “R U There,” filmed in Taiwan; and Chinese director Wang Xiaoshuai’s “Chongqing Blues,” a film based on a true story about a father’s investigation into how his estranged son was killed by the police.

Also in Competition from Asia at Cannes this year is Takeshi Kitano with “Outrage,” the acclaimed Japanese actor-director’s return to gangster films, and Thai newcomer, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, with his Spanish-German-French-British co-production “Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.”

The eight-member competition jury will be led by Tim Burton with one Asian member this year, Indian director-actor-producer Shekhar Kapur.

Last year, Korea’s Park Chan-wook took home his second award from Cannes, following up the directing honors in 2003 for “Oldboy” with the jury prize for “Thirst.”

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.co.kr

April 22, 2010

Poster for new TV series "Road No.1" revealed

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042216070779837_1.jpg

Korean actor So Ji-sub in an official poster for new TV series "Road No.1" [MBC]

The official posters for upcoming television series "Road No.1," starring Hallyu stars So Ji-sub and Kim Ha-neul, were unveiled today.

The show's poster is in three different versions featuring each of its main characters; Jang-woo (played by So), Soo-yeon (played by Kim) and Tae-ho (played by Yoon Kye-sang).

The war drama has been garnering much hype prior to its airing due to its blockbuster scale and star-studded cast, led by So who is making his comeback to the small screen since last year's "Cain and Abel" (SBS).

Actress Kim Ha-neul portrays a strong-willed doctor in the series, who sacrifices her love for So's character to provide for her family.

Yoon Kye-sang, a former member of boy band G.O.D. who has crossed over to acting, plays an elite military officer named Tae-ho. His character falls in love with Kim's character only to be turned away when her first love, played by So, comes back alive from the war.

"Road", produced on a whopping KRW 13 billion won budget, is an epic drama set during the Korean War.

It is set to premiere in Korea on June 23.

2010042216070779837_2.jpg

Hallyu star Kim Ha-neul in an official poster for new TV series "Road No.1" [MBC]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 22, 2010

'Blades of Blood' Plays It Too Safe

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100422_p10_blade.jpg

Actors Hwang Jung-min, left, and Cha Seung-won star in Lee Jun-ik's new epic

film "Blades of Blood.'' / Courtesy of SK Telecom

After rising to stardom with the sleeper hit "King and the Clown," Lee Jun-ik rolled out the big guns in the Vietnam War romance "Sunny." Creating an action-packed period piece seems to be the natural course in his evolution as a director.

With a star cast and crew, and impressive production values, "Blades of Blood’’ offers exactly what a big budget film by such a name should. There is plenty of blood alright, but the movie stays well within the safety lines, bordering on the classic and predictable.

The passing shadows of the cloud give light to some flashes of brilliance (the film's original Korean title is "Like the Moon That Escaped the Clouds'') ― but "Blades" is nowhere near as visionary as "King and the Clown," which pushed the boundaries of storytelling in the historical genre.

On the verge of the 16th-century Japanese invasion, the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910) is thrown into political and social chaos. The film throws up a lot of the laughs by featuring an irritable, and rather vapid, King Seonjo, and two opposing bicameral parties that are more concerned with gaining his favor than finding solutions: "The Japanese are coming, please round up the army," beseeches one group to the king, while the other group says nay just for the sake of disagreeing ― "Are they really not coming?" asks one official, to which another responds, "How should I know? Since they said the Japanese are coming, we should just say they aren’t."

Those dreaming of building a better world try to fight the foreign forces by forming their own political party, Daedonggye, but are forced to disband after being framed for treason. Lee Mong-hak (Cha Seung-won), a descendent of the royal family, assumes leadership of the group and organizes a large-scale coup. Fueled by his ambition to claim the crown, he does not hesitate to ruthlessly kill friends and colleagues that get in his way.

As a sword-swinging rebellion grips the nation, Lee’s old friend, an uncanny blind swordsman named Hwang Jeong-hak (Hwang Jung-min), sets out to stop the bloody ordeal. Meanwhile, Gyeon-ja, a vengeful young man who lost his family to Lee’s coup (Baek Seong-hyeon), and Baek-ji, a beautiful "gisaeng" whose heart was broken by Lee (Han Ji-hye plays the role of the concubine entertainer), join Jeong-hak to track down the notorious rebel.

The conflict between the friends-turned-foes ― Lee and Hwang ― propels the initial conflict, but the story is essentially about Gyeon-ja growing up during a time of turbulence. "Blades" has all the conventions of a coming-of-age road movie, complete with a blooming "bromance’’ between Gyeon-ja and the elder Hwang, and a touch of romance between Gyeon-ja and Baek-ji.

Gyeon-ja must first overcome his minority complex of having been born to a lowly concubine, and being unable to call his nobleman father dad. Yet, he knows his father truly loved him, and he finds a reason to channel his rebellion. This is where Hwang comes into the picture. Though he is more than adept in duels, Hwang finds a use in Gyeon-ja ― like a guide dog for the visually impaired ― in tracking down Lee. The unlikely duo provides much of the comedy and drama as they bicker and bond.

Baek-ji, on the other hand, as the sole lady in the picture, sets out to find her lover. Like the heroines in the director’s other movies, she attempts to be different, but remains nothing more than a pretty flower in the background. Lee, the most elusive of all the characters, embodies more style than substance in his impeccable white "hanbok," which serves the dramatic purpose of being the canvas for bloodshed.

Expect to be entertained, with plenty of blade-whipping action and some ticklish poetic dialogue seemingly fit for a period drama, but nothing groundbreaking.

In theaters April 29. Distributed by SK Telecom.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

April 22, 2010

Song Seung-heon to make small screen comeback this year

2010042216343694997_1.jpg

Korean actor Song Seung-heon [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Song Seung-heon will be making a comeback to the small screen in an upcoming television drama tentatively titled "My Princess," according to his agency Storm S Company on Thursday.

An official at Storm S said in a phone call with Asia Economic Daily today that the actor has been cast in the new series, written by noted television writer Kim Eun-sook who previously penned "Lovers in Paris" (SBS, 2004) and "On Air" (SBS, 2008). "Casting for the drama will wrap up soon and go into shoot starting August," the official explained, adding that a director and broadcaster for the show has not been decided as of yet. The actor is said to have expressed his anticipation for the show, remarking that he is "looking forward to this series because I'll get to show a different type of soft-guy image."

Song, 33, rose to stardom after appearing in the popular sitcom "Three Guys and Three Girls" (MBC, 1996) and has since starred in many television dramas and films including the smash hits "Autumn Tale" (KBS2, 2000), "Summer Scent" (KBS2, 2003) and "East of Eden" (MBC, 2008).

Considered one of the original heartthrobs in Korean show business, he has also appeared in several films, most notably the romantic comedy pic "He Was Cool" in 2004.

"Princess" is reportedly aiming to go on air in the second half of 2010.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 23, 2010

Jang Dong-gun, Ko So-young Expecting Baby

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100422_2p00_01.jpg

Actors Jang Dong-gun, left, and Ko So-young

revealed photographs of a pre-wedding shoot

ahead of the ceremony at the Shilla Hotel

on May 2./ Courtesy of AM Entertainment

Actress Ko So-young revealed that she is three months pregnant, Thursday, ahead of her marriage next month to heartthrob Jang Dong-gun. "Ko So-young has reached the third month of her pregnancy. She will become a mother around September or October," Jang’s management agency AM Entertainment said.

The couple revealed in November 2009 that they had been dating since 2007, and announced plans to tie the knot in March. Rumors of Ko being with child started circulating when the couple made visits to each other’s parents ― which is considered a formal gesture to wed here ― in mid-February. "When the two began preparations for the wedding earlier this year, they considered having children the top priority. Considering their age, both sets of the couple’s parents wanted them to have a baby as soon as possible," said the agency about Jang and Ko, who are both 38 years old.

"Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young, as well as their parents and family, are extremely delighted about the pregnancy and are celebrating. They think it is the best wedding gift ahead of the ceremony."

According to local reports, Ko had been spotted frequenting an OB/GYN in southern Seoul. Last year, Jang quit smoking cold turkey, following Ko’s suggestion, and some speculate that it was part of preparations to have a baby. The mother-to-be recently spoke about having children in an interview with Instyle magazine. "If we have a child I want to help (him or her) do what (s/he) wants. It would be nice if s/he does something creative, such as architecture or fine art."

Photographs of the couple in wedding wear were released this week, ahead of "D-day," creating a stir. The wedding will be held at 5 p.m., May 2 at Shilla Hotel, Jangchung-dong. Veteran actor Park Jung-hoon will host the event while balladeer Shin Seung-hoon will sing

The couple has already been moving furniture and appliances into their new home in Heukseok-dong. Jang and Ko met on the set of the 1998 melodrama "Love Wind, Love Song" and became friends.

Next month, in addition to getting married, Jang will also start shooting his next film project, "D-Day." Meanwhile the trailer for his Hollywood debut piece, "The Warrior’s Way," co-starring Kate Bosworth and Geoffrey Rush and produced by Barrie Osborne the maker of "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," was recently revealed ahead of its summer release.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

Jang Dong-gun's bride-to-be Ko So-young pregnant

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042308524340562_1.jpg

Korean star couple Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young in their wedding photo [AM Entertainment]

Actress Ko So-young, who will wed top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun next month, has been found to be pregnant, according to Ko's agency.

An official at her agency broke the news during a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Thursday, revealing that the 37-year-old actress is pregnant.

The actress is said to be taking extra caution being in her early stages of pregnancy, even taking her physical condition into account when choosing her Oscar de la Renta wedding gown.

Fans are responding excitedly to the news, saying "Just how beautiful will this baby be with parents who are both fantastic looking?"

Ko and Jang made headlines last November after admitting to their two-year romantic relationship, confirming dating rumors that they had sparked since first meeting as co-stars in the 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song."

The star couple, dubbed Korea's equivalent of Brangelina, further fueled the public's interest in their upcoming nuptials when they unveiled their studio wedding photo two days ago.

The wedding ceremony, to be held at Seoul's Shilla Hotel on May 2, will be officiated by prominent Korean literature critic Lee Eo-ryung with veteran Korean actor Park Joong-hoon as the host.

Singer Shin Seung-hun, a close friend of the couple, will also be singing at the event.

Reporter: Park So-yoen muse@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 23, 2010

"Sister of Cinderella" continues reign on Wed-Thur night

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042308400255509_1.jpg

Cast of "Sister of Cinderella" from top left to right: Moon Geun-young, Chun Jung-myung, Seo Woo and Taecyeon [KBS]

KBS TV series "Sister of Cinderella" once again blew away competition in TV ratings this week, proving to be an unstoppable force on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

According to statistics released by AGB Nielsen Media Research on Friday, the series recorded average ratings of 18 percent on April 21 and 22, showing a decrease of 1.2 percent from the previous week.

However, figures by TNS Media Korea indicated that "Cinderella" rose by 0.1 percent from its previous episode on Wednesday to 19 percent, maintaining a firm lead up against MBC's "Personal Taste" and SBS' "Princess Prosecutor."

"Personal Taste," starring Son Ye-jin and Lee Min-ho, kept its position as the second most-watched series with average ratings of 12 percent on AGB's poll and 13.3 percent on TNS' chart, while "Princess Prosecutor" continued to record ratings in the low 10 percent range on both charts.

"Sister of Cinderella" is about the un-fairytale-like story of Cinderella's sister, starring Korean actors Moon Geun-young, Chun Jung-myung, Seo Woo, Taecyeon and veteran actress Lee Mi-sook.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 23, 2010

Jumble of genres won’t make this film a ‘Bestseller’

[Jainnie's Cine Korea]

22211132.jpg

Uhm Jung-hwa plays an author accused of plagiarism in “Bestseller.”

Provided by Daisy Entertainment

When a friend asked what kind of film “Bestseller” is, I found myself hesitating.

It starts out as a thriller-drama, about a bestselling author who falls under suspicion of plagiarism. Then it steps into the horror film territory midway, and finally finishes like an action flick.

This feature-length debut by director Lee Jeong-ho has grand ambitions, and they are the film’s greatest strength and weakness.Despite the slump in the local movie sector, more than 4 billion won ($3.6 million) was spent on this film. Prominent actress Uhm Jung-hwa plays the tortured author, giving one of her most memorable performances to date.

When rumors begin to swirl that Baek Hui-su (Uhm) plagiarized her last book, her life starts to unravel, her relationships with her husband and daughter most of all. At the suggestion of her publisher, Hui-su decides to go with her daughter to a deserted mansion in a rural village to complete her next book in peace. Hui-su’s daughter tells her about an invisible woman in the house who speaks to her, and Hui-su decides to base her next book on her daughter’s version of what the woman said. When Hui-su’s book is published, she is again suspected of plagiarism, driving her to find out who exactly her daughter was talking to.

From the subject matter to the hard-boiled visuals, Bestseller is edgy and masculine. The pace is fast, even abrupt, with a clear, sturdy beginning, middle and end. Although there are many horror or thriller cliches in the film - a haunted house inside a deserted forest, a ghost and a main character with a dark past - the director manages to make them seem relatively fresh with unpredictable editing and genre-mixing. Instead of relying on sleek, sophisticated visuals like many Korean thrillers have lately, the transition between each cut in Bestseller is rough and fast-paced.

Considering its subject, plagiarism, has haunted the entertainment industry in Korea in recent years, addressing it in a cross-genre film like this one might have been a gutsy move. Unfortunately, these themes turn out to be mere props in an overcomplicated plot. Although Uhm delivers a solid performance as the author struggling to hold onto her sanity and her family, her acting doesn’t save the narrative from feeling fragmented. By the time the audience is about ready to engage the subject of plagiarism and the author’s torment, the film transforms all of a sudden into a tale about a modern-day mother who feels guilty for not spending enough time with her daughter.

In fact, there is little philosophical insight into plagiarism or the disintegration of the modern family. These themes are incidental, and aren’t given enough time to ripen during the film. In the end, the audience is left feeling that the plagiarism angle is just another marketing hook. It’s a shame, too. Director Lee had a real chance to take a leap into the unexpected - too rare in cinema these days.

By Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

April 23, 2010

Jang Dong-gun, Ko So-young 'Ecstatic' Over Pregnancy

Actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Ko So-young, whose wedding is scheduled on May 2, are expecting a baby. Jang's agency in press release Thursday said Ko is in third month of her pregnancy.

Having a child was the most important concern for the couple since they started planning their wedding early this year. As both Jang and Ko are in their late thirties, their parents reportedly wanted them to have a child as soon as possible.

The agency said Jang and Ko and their parents are "ecstatic" and see the news as "huge blessing" for the marriage. Ko is reportedly being very cautious as she is in the early phase of her pregnancy and took her condition into consideration when choosing her wedding dress.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Jang Dong Gun and Ko So Young Unveil Wedding Photos

Some monochrome wedding photographs of the couple Jang Dong Gun and Ko So Young were unveiled on April 22. Via a press release, actor Jang Dong Gun’s agency AM Entertainment released two wedding photos that Jang Dong Gun and Ko So Young had taken. The agency also delivered the information, “The couple took wedding photos last weekend in a studio located in Gangnam, and photographer Hong Hye Jeon shot the photographs.”

7359_1105_l.jpg7359_1106_l.jpg

The wedding ceremony will be held in Shilla Hotel in Jangchung Dong on May 2 at 5 pm. Singer Shin Seung Hoon is planning to sing for the wedding, actor Park Joong Hoon will preside over the wedding, and former Minister of Culture Lee Uh Ryung will officiate their wedding.

April 23, 2010

Korean Wave: The New Generation

Editor.Lynn Kim, Jang Kyung-Jin

2010042311174430971_1.jpg

Official poster for SBS TV series "The Shining Inheritance" [sBS]

Korean dramas stir new waves in Japan

Fuji TV's program "Hallyu Alpha" (Mon-Fri 2:07~3:00), which started airing on January 11 in hopes of creating 'a new Hallyu generation,' has been receiving positive feedback. Back in 2004, Fuji TV had arranged a program called "Saturday Hallyu Wide Hour," airing dramas such as "Stairway To Heaven" and "Sad Love Song" but had cancelled it due to low ratings. This time, "Hallyu Alpha" tried to differentiate itself from other programs by playing uncensored versions of dramas, providing bilingual broadcast (in Japanese and Korean) and adding special features such as exclusive interviews with the cast and behind-the-scenes footage. MBC TV series "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon" kicked off the program, followed by KBS' "Woman In The Sun" in February.

Viewers responded to the show somewhat later -- "The Shining Inheritance," starring Lee Seung-gi and Han Hyo-joo, made bigger splashes than expected during its month-long run in March. According to local media reports, the premiere episode of "The Shining Inheritance," broadcast on March 2, scored a mere 5.3 percent in viewership ratings. But the figure constantly climbed, peaking at 9.7 percent on March 24 and the final episode aired on March 30 scoring a rating of 8.0 percent. Considering that the average viewership rating around 2 p.m. on weekdays -- which is when "Hallyu Alpha" airs -- is approximately four to five percent, the figure is the highest among all the dramas that have aired in the same time slot for the past ten years. Rumor has it that local television executives were very surprised by the ratings for "The Shining Inheritance." Lead actors Lee Seung-gi and Han Hyo-joo made headlines when they visited Japan in time with the show's airing in the country. Han, who plays the female lead Go Eun-sung, was particularly showered with attention as her telecinema movie "Postman to Heaven", co-starring TVXQ member Hero Jae-joong, had also opened in Japan.

Japanese students fall in love with Lee Seung-gi and Han Hyo-joo

2010042311174430971_2.jpg

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo and TVXQ member Hero Jaejoong in film "Postman To Heaven" [CJ Entertainment]

Many fervent viewers poured out their comments about the show on the viewers' board for "The Shining Inheritance." And it is worth noting that a majority of these viewers were high-school students and young people in their twenties and thirties. This is quite unexpected because in the past, Hallyu fans were mostly composed of women in their forties. This could be because "The Shining Inheritance" was broadcast in March, overlapping with spring break for students. As the Japanese school year starts in April with the spring break in March, it was possible to lure middle school, high school and college students on their school breaks to the front of television sets. For "Hallyu Alpha", it is encouraging that they turned the younger generation -- who had previously thought that "Hallyu is just something that older ladies like" -- into Hallyu drama fans.

"Hallyu Alpha" has been showing medical drama "New Heart" since April 1, after which MBC TV series "The Last Scandal of My Life," starring actor Jung Joon-ho and the late actress Choi Jin-sil will air. With Korean blockbuster "IRIS" (starring Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee) and "Hard To Say I Love You" (starring Hero Jaejoong) lined up for the second half of the year, can it be said that the new generation of Korean Wave has already begun? We hope that "Hallyu Alpha" will build a strong foundation for the new round of Korean Wave.

Reporter: Im Da-ham (Tokyo correspondent) Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 23, 2010

"Sex Volunteer" awarded best picture at Singapore film fest

2010042316534893958_1.jpg

Official movie poster for "Sex Volunteer" [Achimhaenori]

Korean human rights film "Sex Volunteer" has scored a double win at the 23rd Singapore International Film Festival, including the prize for best feature film and best director.

The film -- about an organization which offers sex to disabled people -- was named Best Film in the competition for Asian Feature Film at the event, held yesterday in Singapore, while director Cho Kyeong-duk picked up the trophy for Best Director.

The film has been racking up recognition around the world, being invited to several prestigious film festivals including the Houston International Film Festival, Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Films and Reel World Film Festival. It already won the Humanitarian and International Jury award in Sao Paulo last year and has been nominated for best director and best editing at the upcoming Milan International Film Festival, which kicks off in Italy on May 5.

"Volunteer," which had drawn attention for raising human rights issues regarding handicapped people and prostitutes, had been sold to Brazil last week and is in talks with other countries including the United States, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

"Sex Volunteer" opened in Korea yesterday on various websites for free viewing. It will be broadcast on IPTV starting next week, also free of charge.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 22, 2010

A ‘Sex Volunteer’ for the disabled in director’s debut

21213825.jpg

Director Cho Kyeong-duk says he is ready for praise and criticism

of his first feature film, ‘Sex Volunteer,”’ which tells a story related

to the sexual rights of the disabled. By Sung So-young

While director Cho Kyeong-duk was studying in Japan in 2004, he came across a nonfiction book with a provocative title: “Sex Volunteer,” by Kaori Kawai. It was based on two years of interviews with physically disabled people in countries from Japan to the Netherlands, about their sex lives and the group of people who, as the title implies, volunteer to sleep with them.

Though it was translated into Korean five years ago and its salacious title made it a smash hit, it wasn’t taken seriously by most readers. “There was one Web site which introduced this book, but nobody took it seriously. All the comments were swearwords targeting the disabled,” Cho recalled in a recent interview.

Cho, however, was intrigued. By May 2005, the 36-year-old director was already collecting news clippings and other materials related to sex volunteers for his own film on the subject. “It wasn’t easy [to interview the disabled]. I couldn’t understand what they were talking about. To me, their language sounded so foreign.” The topic added another layer of potential embarrassment. Cho decided he needed to take the time to befriend his subjects, so the director decided to work at centers for the disabled, helping them bathe, eat and go out. At last, Cho said he thought he was starting to understand.

“I met Cho Kyung-ho while I was doing volunteer work at one camp,” the director said. Cho Kyung-ho - no relation - played the role of Hwang Chun-kil in Cho’s film. A self-educated poet, Chun-kil confesses to a priest that he wants to feel the warmth of another human being before he dies. “There are a couple of films which are about the disabled but they all hire A-list actors. I wanted to cast people who are close to the characters.”

The director met and talked to people from all walks of life: priests, volunteers, doctors, pimps and civic groups that help prostitutes. After two years or so of interviews, Cho’s first full-length film “Sex Volunteer” was complete. It’s in theaters nationwide today.

Using a fake documentary format, the 123-minute film tracks the story of three people - college student Ye-ri, cerebral palsy sufferer Chun-kil and a priest - who are brought up on prostitution charges. Ye-ri said she was not paid to have sex with Chun-kil nor was she his girlfriend, instead calling their relationship volunteer work. As the film unfolds, a female reporter interviews groups of people like the ones Cho met, from a priest who hands out sex aids to the physically challenged to a man who secretly operates a group of sex volunteers online.

Asked to explain where the boundary between fiction and nonfiction falls in the film, Cho said, “I added two characters: the priest and Ye-ri’s mother [who helps prostitutes leave brothels]. Except for those two characters, the film is based on truth.” Cho has “no idea” how many real sex volunteers there are in Korea. “I just talked to a few people, and they don’t represent the whole sex volunteer community,” he said.

Because of its sensational title, Cho said the film went through many ups and downs during production. “We once stopped all filming for about three months due to a lack of budget. “I also realized how hard it is for the disabled to be transported from one place to another. We never started filming on time because we had two disabled actors” who use wheelchairs, he said.

Everyone told him his movie would flop, but Sex Volunteer has actually been invited to many international film festivals including the 2009 Montreal World Film Festival and the 2010 Singapore International Film Festival, Cho said. The film even won the Humanitarian and International Jury award at the Sao Paulo International Film Festival last year. The film was also certified as an art film by the Korean Film Council in the same year. Still, the project has met with a mixed response among activists for the disabled here. Koo Ja-yoon, a former counselor at the Web site Pureun Ausung for the Disabled, said Cho’s film might spread the misconception that sex volunteers are common, which is not true.

Cho argues that his film is not just about sex volunteers but also about human rights. “The title is a little strong. I know. But it was intentionally made that way to attract the attention of the public. The film deals with many different issues surrounding the rights of the disabled such as rights to be educated, to get married and to move around.

“I want this film to give us a chance to openly talk about rights of the disabled [including sexual rights].”

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

April 23, 2010

[10LINE] Actor Jang Keun-suk

Senior Reporter.Kang Myoung-Seok Editor.Lucia Hong

2010042313164915862_1.jpg

Clockwise from top center: actress Lee Yoon-ji, actress Ha Ji-won, actor Kang Ji-hwan,

actress Park Shin-hye and actor Yoo Seung-ho [10Asia]

Jang Keun-suk

From an early age, the world of entertainment was his workplace. He was surrounded only by adults. Even at a young age he made a lot of money and his wish was to have a "normal part-time job." He spent his teenage years as an 'idol' who acts.

Jang Hanna

Child actress who played the role of Jeong Nan-jeong for SBS drama "Yeoincheonha." Jang Keun-suk played the role of Jeong's half-brother. Jang began his career in entertainment when he beat the odds of 1:25,000 to win first place in a beautiful child contest. However, his parents were not able to pay much attention to his career because they were busy with their fish farm business in Danyang in the North Chungcheong Province. So up till fifth grade, Jang went to a school with only 13 students near the fish farm and whenever he had a shoot, he would go to Seoul carrying his own suitcase. Since Jang moved to Seoul when he was in fifth grade, his parents told him to solve his problems on his own including finding his way home by himself after school. Even though Jang wanted to rebel against his parents he thought about how he had to "be at the broadcasting company by 9 a.m."

Kim Jong-hak

The director of SBS TV series "Daemang." "Daemang" was the first most serious role Jang took on and through director Kim he learned how to do real acting. Growing up as an actor, he learned how "reading scripts sitting cross-legged in school" would get him punished and made friends he calls his 'pillars.'

Lee Yoon-ji

His co-star in the MBC sitcom "Nonstop 4." While Jang was worrying about how he should go about his transformation into an adult actor, he was planning on going to New Zealand to study aboard during his high school years. But his plans were cut short after being offered a role in "Nonstop 4." He played the role of the cunning and fast-thinking freshman. This role was well-suited for Jang who was in between being a child actor and an adult actor. "I don't have any regrets about not having lived a normal life because I played a lot when I was younger" and this cute and precocious adolescent played a character who knew a lot about the 'adult world' in "Nonstop 4" which separated him from other actors his own age. When Jang was 18 years old he said in an interview, "Since I began working at an early age, I was surrounded by those who were older than me. I think I have a more mature personality than other 18-year-olds."

Ha Seok-jin

Jang's alumna at Hanyang University. They planned and emceed the school's festivities. For Jang, college was "a new world." He became more recognized for his role in "Nonstop 4" but was very worried that he was falling behind his fellow actors, so he tried changed his form of speech and actions because he wanted to become an adult quickly. However, Jang, who had believed that he was a good actor since he even took the location of cameras into consideration, became disappointed in his acting skills after starring in two musicals. That is when his greed for acting grew and he decided to major in theater and cinema. Since his freshmen years he created many memories by attending his classes, going on overnight trips with his colleagues and going on blind dates. His college life was different from others' but he spent time for himself in his 20s. Except for the fact that it would have been impossible anyway for him to have had "a regular part time job."

Ha Ji-won

Female star of the KBS series "Hwang Jini." At the time when Jang was shooting for "Hwang Jini," he was confused between his identity as an "entertainer" versus "actor." But he found the answer to this question through "Hwang Jini," creating a lasting impression with his role of young Eun-ho who was heavily in love. The audience accepted him, who was somewhere in between a child and adult, which let Jang slowly become an adult.

Jung Jin Young

The actor who appeared in films "Happy Life" and "The Case of Itaewon Homicide" with Jang. Jang picks "Happy Life" as his "actual film debut" through which director Lee Jun-ik said "Jang was able to grasp the movement of the camera like an experienced actor. Unlike his young age his face has a sort of pathos to it." What Jang really learned from this film was working with a galaxy of senior actors. At the time, he enjoyed drinking with the senior actors and realized the importance of compatibility. For his role as a suspect in "Homicide," he naturally melted into the role by fully pushing down his own emotions. The young man who always caught the audience's attention had learned to adapt in the adult world.

R-STARS

The racing team that Jang belongs to. Jang's dream as a young boy was to be a car racer and hopes to open a car repair center when he gets older. He also frequently says maturely, "When I become 40 years old, I'm going to buy a building and set up my very own entertainment agency." Such demeanor can be favorably interpreted that he is a deep thinker but, it may seem like he is 'showing off' when he overdoes it. The remarks that he posted on his mini-hompy such as “Lying lazily under the warm sunlight while accompanied by the music of Andre Gagnon,” made netizens’ stomachs turn and made him into “show-off Keun-suk.” But, in fact, Jang’s acting was never the kind that makes anyone feel uncomfortable and he himself has said, “Everyone has a laugh when reading their old journals. The things I had written, I had contemplated about at the time but after a while, they are really nothing.” It is not such a big deal for a young man in his early twenties to do some showing off on his mini-hompy and like it is for most actors, as long as he shows good acting work, people will forget everything else about him. Jang Keun-suk once said that his hobbies, such as cars, music and looking for pretty coffee shops, are "like candy that stops me from crying.”

Kang Ji-hwan

His co-star in the KBS series "Hong Gil-dong, the Hero." Jang played the role of Chang-hui who grows up to become a king who later struggles between reality and ideals. It was impressive to see how Jang was able to maintain the serious personality of his character Chang-hui by pressing his voice down like actor Lee Byung-hun's whose voice and gaze he says he so likes. But the role could have also easily left the impression that it is too grave for him -- barely being 20 years old but having to play a character who feels what love is for the first time while being a king who cannot get anything done. In MBC's "Beethoven Virus" he played the role of the student who was in conflict with Maestro Kang (played by Kim Myung-min). But the overwhelming acting by Kim gave no room for the audience to notice the acting skills of any other actor. Jang had kicked off his career as an adult actor but was faced with the problem of having to find his own way to digest "adult-like" and "heavy" roles.

Park Shin-hye

His female co-star who starred in SBS' "Minamishineyo" and the Etude make-up commercial. The two started their careers at an early age, they started to grow up, and finally appeared as child-like idols in "Minamishineyo." For the role of Hwang Tae-kyung, Jang made sure the character wore the clothes that he tailored. Viewers may have been reminded of the 'show-offy' side to Jang who played the charismatic leader of an idol group but he put his everything into it, even making fun of his own character who was overly stiff all the time to bring the character to life. His ability to maintain the fundamental traits of his character -- acting both coldly and considerately towards Go Mi-nam (played by Park Shin-hye), how he acts differently toward Hey (played by Uee) versus his fellow band members -- all expressed differently, made Jang seem like 'Maestro Kang Jr.' The way he laughed at Go Mi-nam made an impact because it was an image created by Jang which one would not expect to see from Hwang. Jang was finally becoming the good actor that he had wanted to become, playing roles which reflect his age and position.

Yoo Seung-ho

His co-star in the Tooniverse show "Alien Teacher," which Jang felt "was a really fun production" and when he watches again, will "watch from start to finish." Yoo also made a cameo appearance in "Minamishineyo." The two live a different life from other child actors in that they received the full celebrity treatment at a young age. That is why Jang "didn’t have a chance to experience puberty" and "is responsible for how he pretended to act like an adult during his teenage years." Jang is different from other teens because he grew up as a star and figured out the solutions to his own problems. His role in "Minamishineyo" allowed him to discover his age and current acting abilities. Hwang Tae-kyung became an adult through Go Mi-nam. Jang grew up through the role of Hwang Tae-kyung not as a child or an adult but as a person at just the right age.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 24, 2010

Yoon So-yi to Star in F1 Promotional Program

2010042400295_1.jpg

Yoon So-yi

Actress Yoon So-yi will appear in a two-part program to promote the 2010 Formula One Korean Grand Prix, which kicks off on Oct. 22 in Yeongnam, South Jeolla Province.

Yoon spent last weekend attending the Formula One Shanghai Grand Prix in order to brush up on her knowledge of the sport in preparation for the program, which will introduce and promote Formula One in Korea where racing is not a mainstream sport. She will offer tips on how to fully enjoy the sport.

"I'm honored to participate in an international sports event," Yoon says. "I learned that Formula One is not just a racing franchise but an international festival. I'm glad to help introduce the sport in Korea, and I'm determined to do my best to promote the Formula One Korean Grand Prix."

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

April 26, 2010

Jung Il-woo signs with Jeon Do-youn's agency

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042610315474670_1.jpg

Korean actor Jung Il-woo [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Jung Il-woo has signed with N.O.A. Entertainment which manages some of Korea's top actors including Jeon Do-youn, Ha Jung-woo and Lim Soo-jung.

"Jung Il-woo is someone who has the potential to grow into an actor with his star quality and good acting skills," Mr. Kim Jang-gyun, a director at N.O.A., said on Monday. "We expect him to show many different sides to the public through his acting."

N.O.A. is considered one of the most influential talent agencies in the country, whose pool of artists include actors Ji Jin-hee, Kong Hyo-jin, Lee Chun-hee, Kim Sung-su and Gong Yoo.

Jung, 22, became a household name after appearing in the popular MBC sitcom "High Kick!" (MBC, 2006). He has since starred in several other dramas including "The Return of Iljimae" (MBC, 2009) and "My Fair Lady" (KBS2, 2009) alongside actress Yoon Eun-hye.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 26, 2010

"Bestseller" knocks out "Titans" from top of box office

2010042609384757359_1.jpg

Official movie poster of Korean thriller "Bestseller" [Daisy Entertainment]

Korean thriller "Bestseller" scored its first win on top of the local box office over the weekend, knocking out three week winner "Clash of the Titans" off the No. 1 spot.

Estimates by the Korean Box Office System (KOBIS) released on Monday revealed that "Bestseller" brought in 213,144 admits during April 23 to 25 to claim the title of the most-watched film in the country.

"Bestseller," starring Korean singer and actress Uhm Jung-hwa, is about a successful novelist who gets accused of plagiarism and escapes to a remote cabin where she begins to hear voices.

Hollywood blockbuster "Clash of the Titans," starring Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes, fell one slot to second place with 151,107 moviegoers and newly released Korean drama "A Long Visit" bowed into the chart at No. 3 selling 107,915 tickets.

Meanwhile, recently released action comedy "Kick-richard simmons" and Academy Award winner "The Hurt Locker" successfully entered the box office chart ranking in at the fourth and fifth position recording 87,238 and 85,256 admissions, respectively.

Other movies in the top 10 were "Hi Murder," "The Blind Side," "The Book of Eli," "G-Force" and "Pistol Bandit Band."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 26, 2010

Two Korean Films to Compete at Cannes

Two starkly different Korean films will be vying for this year's Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

The first is Im Sang-soo's "The Housemaid," a remake of a 1960 film of the same title by the late, legendary director Kim Ki-young. It tells the story of a married couple and their maid who has an affair with the husband, and it provokes suspense among the audience when the maid carries on as if nothing happened.

The movie stars Cannes Best Actress Award winner Jeon Do-yeon, who again uses her charms and acting skills to portray a stark picture of human greed and desire. It is the second film by Im to be showcased at Cannes, following his acclaimed comedy "The President's Last Bang" in 2005.

2010042600943_0.jpg

Another director shooting for the golden award is former Cannes jury member Lee Chang-dong whose latest work "Poetry" is about an aging woman who rediscovers the beauty of life.

The film brings one of Korea's most famous actresses back to the big screen with Yoon Jeong-hee in the role of a widow who starts to see the world anew through poetry. "Poetry is something that expresses feelings for you when you can't verbalize them any other way," the director said.

Two other Korean films will be showcased in non-competition categories in the world's oldest and most prestigious film festival, which kicks off in May.

Source: Arirang News / english.chosun.com

April 26, 2010

Song Seung Hun to Star in Drama 'My Princess'

Actor Song Seung Hun’s agency Storm S Company announced on April 22 that Song Seung Hun has been cast in the drama “My Princess" (working title).

7361_1111_l.jpg

The drama is written by Kim Eun Sook, who has written famous drama scripts such as “Lovers in Paris,” “On Air,” and “City Hall,” and the producer and broadcasting company have not yet been decided. The agency said, “He will begin filming from August after finishing casting, and the drama will be filmed with the target date for airing in the second half of this year.”

Song Seung Hun revealed his mind, saying, “I am highly anticipating this drama because I might be able to show a different image from the tough and manly image that I have shown so far.” He appeared in the MBC TV drama “East of Eden” last year and is now working on the final stages of filming the movie “Outlaw.”

April 26, 2010

"Boys Over Flowers" cast heat up Japan over weekend

2010042611042226484_1.jpg

The cast of the hit series "Boys Over Flowers" [Planet 905]

The cast of Korean TV series "Boys Over Flowers" visited Japan over the weekend to attend an event promoting the hit show from early last year. Some 5,000 fans turned up at the "Boys Over Flowers Last Event - Graduation," held in Yokohama, Japan to meet their favorite cast members from the show including actors Lee Min-ho, Kim Bum, Kim Joon and Ku Hye-sun.

The event started with an opening performance by T-Max, led by leader Kim Joon, who sang their popular tracks from the series' soundtrack including "Paradise," "SAY YES," "Empty Bet" and "Bang Bang Boom." "Boys Over Flowers," adapted from Japanese manga Hana Yori Dango, was a sensation during its three-month run in Korea starting January 2009.

The cast from the show, also including SS501 member Kim Hyun-joong who was unable to attend the weekend event, had been holding individual fan meetings in neighboring Asian countries due to the success of the series in the region.

2010042611042226484_2.jpg

T-Max member Kim Joon at the "Boys Over Flowers Last Event-Graduation" [Planet 905]

Archived