[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

April 20, 2010

S. Korean movie 'Bedevilled' to compete at Cannes

2010042008535388501_085814_0.jpg

SEOUL, April 20 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean film "Bedevilled" has been invited to this year's non-official International Critics' Week competition at the Cannes International Film Festival, production officials said Tuesday.

Directed by Jang Cheol-soo, the movie revolves around a woman on a small island who brutally kills seven people, tracing her transformation into a merciless murderer. Jang was an assistant director to South Korea's acclaimed director Kim Ki-duk, working together on "Samaritan Girl" in 2004.

Two South Korean movies, "Poetry" by Lee Chang-dong and "Housemaid" by Im Sang-soo, have been invited to the competition section of Cannes, which opens May 12.

Credits: jiyonj@yna.co.kr english.yonhapnews.co.kr

Seo Young-hee invited to Cannes film fest

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042009575145335_1.jpg

Korean actress Seo Young-hee

Korean actress Seo Young-hee has been invited to the 63rd Cannes Film Festival next month for her latest film "Bedevilled", according to the film's production company Pilma Pictures. Pilma Pictures announced in a press release on Monday that the actress, who recently starred in the thriller pic, will be attending the event as the film will be shown in the Critics' Week section.

In "Bedevilled", about seven people getting brutally murdered on a small island, Seo plays an innocent woman who, affected by the murders, changes into a cruel person.

The film was directed by Jang Cheol-soo, who was an assistant director for noted Korean filmmaker Kim Ki-duk. "Through the character's tragedy, the film is sending a message to modern day people who are unfriendly and indifferent to others," explained an official at Pilma about the movie.

This year, many Korean films and movie stars have received invites to the prestigious Cannes film fest; director Im Sang-soo's "The Housemaid" and Lee Chang-dong's "Poetry" will be competing for the Palme d'Or prize, while Hong Sang-soo's "Hahaha" will be presented in the non-competitive "Un Certain Regard" category, which introduces films with various visions and styles from around the world.

Korean stars set to grace the red carpet in France include veteran actress Yoon Jeong-hee, the heroine of "Poetry," as well as "Housemaid" co-stars Seo Woo and Jeon Do-youn, the latter who is a winner of of the fest's best actress award in 2007.

"Bedevilled" is scheduled for a summer release in Korea.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 20, 2010

Ko So-young to wear Oscar de la Renta at May wedding

Reporter.Cho Bum-ja Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042013520401633_1.jpg

Korean actress Ko So-young in a fashion spread for January issue of ELLE Korea magazine [ELLE Korea]

Korean actress Ko So-young will be wearing U.S. designer Oscar de la Renta's gown at her wedding to Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun next month, according to her stylist Jung Yoon-ki.

Jung said in a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Monday that the actress has "made the final decision to wear Oscar de la Renta" at the wedding ceremony, to be held at Seoul's Shilla Hotel on May 2.

Oscar de la Renta, a high-end fashion designer known for dressing Hollywood movie stars and U.S. First Ladies, will reportedly design a custom-made gown for the Korean actress. Several Korean celebrities such as Song Yoon-ah and Choo Sang-mi had previously chosen the American designer for their nuptials as well.

Ko and Jang made headlines last November after admitting to their two-year romantic relationship, confirming dating rumors that they had sparked since first meeting as co-stars in the 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song." The star couple, dubbed Korea's equivalent of Brangelina, were seen leaving a studio after their wedding album photo shoot over the weekend.

The wedding will be officiated by famed Korean literature critic Lee Eo-ryung with veteran Korean actor Park Joong-hoon as the host.

Reporter : Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 20, 2010

2010042000400_0.jpg

Cha Seung-won (left) and Han Ji-hye pose at a press event for their film

"Like the Moon Escaping from the Clouds" in Seoul on Monday.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

April 19, 2010

Why Japanese Housewives Are Crazy About Korean Stars

Korean Wave is causing trouble in Japanese homes as housewives who are ardent fans of Korean stars neglect their families to set out to meet their idols, Japanese daily Gendai said April 13.

It seems nothing can be done really to stem the new Korean Wave, with high-profile fans in Japan including current first lady Miyuki Hatoyama and previous first lady Akie Abe.

Why are Japanese housewives so captivated by Korean stars? "Unlike Japanese celebrities, Korean stars do not look down on middle-aged women," a Korean media expert told the paper. "Due to the influence of Confucianism, they respect their elders, and this is very flattering for housewife fans."

April 20, 2010

Lee Chang-dong hopes "Poetry" will instill dreams

Senior Reporter.Kang Myoung-Seok Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Jessica Kim

2010042014185707782_1.jpg

From left, actress Yoon Jung-hee and director Lee Chang-dong pose at a photo session of a press conference for film "Poetry" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

"Did you go easy on me on purpose because you didn't want me to have a tough time?" "Do I look like I'm that nice of a guy?" This was the dialogue between the main star and director of film "Poetry" as seen in video containing behind-the-scenes footage revealed at a press conference on April 14. And the two were none other than Yoon Jung-hee, who had been in a 15-year hiatus after having appeared in over 300 films during 40 years of her career and director Lee Chang-dong, who has made Korean film history starting from "Green Fish" to "Secret Sunshine." Below are excerpts from the press conference held at a CJ CGV theater emceed by actor Ahn Nae-sang.

Q: How did you come about making "Poetry"?

Lee Chang-dong: "Poetry" was both a challenge and experiment for me, as was any other movie that I've worked on in the past. I wondered how well I would be able to pull off the challenge this time. And I wanted to share the meaningful and beautiful things that we don't see with our eyes but have been disappearing due to the social conditions of the times. That's why I decided to present my audience with a film with such a title, story and main character.

Ahn Nae-sang: The director doesn't seem to have been too concerned with the film's commercial success. (laugh) But don't you still think it'll do okay?

Lee: I've received that sort of question everytime I make a film. When I did "Oasis," someone asked me if I thought anyone would go all the way to a theater to watch a film about the disabled. I make movies because of my desire to communicate with the audience. That is what films should be about -- it's not just a medium of communication for people who understand each other. I want to be able to meet and communicate with the general mass. I have faith that I will be able to do so if I succeed in delivering the truth.

2010042014221525938_2.jpg

Actress Yoon Jung-hee [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: What are you referring to when you say challenge?

Lee: Those who watch my film may say there hasn't been much change [to my work] but I thought I was taking on a big challenge this time. I wanted to come in touch with the audience but in a difficult and unfamiliar way, rather than make it happen too easily. That's why I wanted to set up many obstacles between myself and them and then embrace those who overcome them and run through the finish line. And that's how I wanted this film to come off as too. That's why this film is a new type of movie. A lot of films are increasingly focusing more on providing more fun and stimulus but I wanted "Poetry" to stimulate without any particular form of stimulus.

Q: The film doesn't seem to be as dark as your previous works.

Lee: I personally had thought my other works weren't that dark either. (laugh) I don't know about the film being dark or not but those who have already seen the movie say it's less uncomfortable to watch than my previous works.

Q: The movie is about a a novelist-turned-filmmaker who writes poetry. What meaning do novels, films and poetry have to you?

Lee: They're the same fundamentally. I want to look at the world through what I have within me, and communicate with the public mass through that. Of all the topics, the reason I chose "Poetry" was because it was the easiest and most approachable topic. I think it's easy to live without poetry and easy to forget about it once you graduate from school. But you still need it. It's something that can bring out things you can't see with your eyes, such as the beauty or meaning of life. So in that sense, novels, music and films are all the same. Of course there are films which provide entertainment but there are also those that don't. I wanted to ask the audience what they think the meaning is to it.

Q: The movie is about a woman called Mija. What sort of woman is she?

Lee: I'm sorry that I can't fully explain to you who she is since there are things I shouldn't disclose until the movie comes out, but she is like the Yoon sitting next to me right now. She is a legendary actress, the wife of a world-renowned musician, and an actress who gave up everything she had to support her husband for many years. In a way, it may seem like she lives a great life but on the inside, there may be a part to her that doesn't differentiate her from any other average woman in her 60s who lives in an apartment somewhere in Seoul. The movie is about such a woman reflecting on her life and about the choices she makes.

2010042014221525938_3.jpg

Actor Ahn Nae-sang [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: How did you cast Yoon Jung-hee for the film?

Lee: I didn't know her that well on a personal level, but you'd have to have been living on another planet if you're in my generation and don't know her. That's why although she didn't know me, I thought I knew her well, and very naturally I thought she should be the main character. Even before I started writing the scenario, I told her about the film while thinking that she would be the main character. Her real name is Mija but I felt that the main character's name should also be Mija while I was writing the scenario. It's a common name but there's the Chinese character for 'beauty' in it, so as old-fashioned as it sounds, it's also as beautiful.

Yoon: I too cry easily and admire at the smallest things. Even my husband said she's similar to me while we read the scenario. That's why I was less worried about the acting itself but it was difficult to break free from my old ways of acting. I've been in so many movies but it was quite difficult acting for "Poetry." So much that for the first time in my life, I even practiced in front of my husband. But my husband said, "Could you try being more natural?" which is exactly what director Lee said. (laugh)

Lee: Yoon is a very simple person and she has wrinkles on her face now but she has not aged on the inside at all. Mija is a woman who will be overcome with emotions when she sees the moon in the night sky, despite having seen it for 60 years, and forgets about reality at times.

Q: Did you not feel any burden in casting Yoon who has been in a 15-year hiatus?

Lee: Rather than feeling any burden, I was curious to see how Yoon would react. She had appeared in 300 movies so she had become used her old ways of acting. I'm not saying it's bad -- it's just different from working with someone who has no acting experience. So I was curious to see what she would be like when we clash, but once I actually started working with her, I found out she was very open-minded. Even young actresses resist from having to break away from what they have originally but she [Yoon] was very good at embracing it.

Yoon: You have no idea how happy and moved I was when Lee told me he had started writing a scenario with me in mind. The scenario wasn't complete but I had much trust in him because I had been watching his work for a long time. And when I finally did receive the scenario, I felt I had never seen such a [great] scenario before. I was very excited while filming.

2010042014221525938_4.jpg

Director Lee Chang-dong [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: How was it actually working with him?

Yoon: I thank him. He helped me discover an image of myself that I had really wanted to find. That's why it wasn't easy to pull off the role but I think the chemistry I had with him and the vibe on set was beautiful.

Ahn: Did you not have any problems physically? (laugh) Lee is someone who will keep pushing an actor till they suffer from exhaustion.

Yoon: I live like a girl even though I'm in my sixties. (laugh) The staff kept coming up to me to ask if I wasn't tired but I wasn't worn out at all physically. There was a scene where I play badminton and my arm did hurt because we shot the scene several times but the production company kept saying we should go to the hospital when all I needed was a pain relief patch. (laugh)

Lee: The badminton scene was quite important and we shot it at night so she had to play badminton all night. Even young people get sore if they use their arm like that and it would affect filming. So I was going to have her get a professional massage too but Yoon didn't think it was a big deal at all.

Q: The film industry has changed a lot over the past 15 years. How has the experience been for you?

Yoon: It felt like I met with an old friend. It all came quite naturally to me actually because I had never considered myself as having left the scene. And before, I had never sat in front of a monitor to analyze my own acting but it helped a lot because I could this time. I'm very greedy [when it comes to acting] so I thought a lot about how I could show the best acting possible that I can be satisfied with, so it really wasn't easy.

Q: But you are still beautiful. (laugh) What are the secrets to your beauty?

Yoon: Aren't I just average-looking? (laugh) I even do my own hair at home... But you have take care of your own skin so I look at books and make the make-up I use.

Q: Any final words for the audience?

Yoon: I trust my fans. (laugh) I hope a lot of my fans watch it and others too. I hope people with dreams in particular will watch it.

Lee: I hope people who want to have dreams will watch it too. As well as those who can sympathize with Yoon and the younger generation who are thinking about their dreams.

Ahn: Then we'll be able to break the 10 million mark. (laugh)

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010042014171489281_1.jpg

"Poetry" cast and director [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

From left, actor Ahn Nae-sang, actress Yoon Jung-hee, and director Lee Chang-dong attend a press conference for film "Poetry" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010.

2010042014124440258_2.jpg

2010042014124440258_1.jpg

Actress Yoon Jung-hee attends a press conference for film "Poetry" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010.

2010042013582439146_2.jpg

2010042013582439146_1.jpg

Director Lee Chang-dong attends a press conference for film "Poetry" at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010.

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 / 2 / 3

April 20, 2010

"IRIS" season 2 starts pre-production

2010042016075086382_1.jpg

Official poster for KBS TV series "IRIS" Season 1 [Taewon Entertainment]

Pre-production work for the second season of blockbuster TV series has kicked off amidst much hype and anticipation among fans, according to production company Taewon Entertainment on Tuesday.

Taewon explained in a press release that "IRIS" producers have started the casting process for the next season, even talking with agents for the actors from the first season such as Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Kim So-yeon and considering a new face to appear in the series as well.

The first season of "IRIS" garnered much publicity in Korea last year for its huge scale, global location shoots and a star-studded cast, led by Lee and including Jung Joon-ho, Kim Seung-woo, and Choi Seung-hyun, better known as T.O.P. from popular Korean idol group Big Bang.

The drama sparked a frenzy among viewers around the country and dominated weekly TV ratings charts during its two-month run. It even created a spin-off series titled "Athena: Goddess of War", which Taewon is also producing as of present and is set to be broadcast later in the year. The line-up for "Athena" include top Korean actors Jung Woo-sung, Cha Seung-won, Soo Ae and E Ji-ah.

First season of "IRIS" is set to premiere in Japan tomorrow with noted Japanese actors Fujiwara Tatsuya and Kuroki Meisa providing voice-overs for its two main characters, originally played by Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee. The sequel will pick up from about three years after lead character Hyun-joon was killed by a gunshot while driving in his car and unfold the circumstances surrounding his death.

It will kick off shooting next March and is scheduled to air around October 2011.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 20, 2010

Traces of Lee Jun-ik's work in "Blades of Blood"

Reporter.Lee Ji-Hye Editor.Lucia Hong

2010042014274359239_1.jpg

The cast of "Blades of Blood" from left to right: Hwang Jeong-min, Baek Sung-hyun, Cha Seung-won

and Han Ji-hye [Movie Production company Haneul]

They have all dreamt about the moon that escaped from the clouds. Lee Mong-hak (played by Cha Seung-won) wants to shine as the king who renews the rotten Chosun period and Hwang Jeong-hak (played by Hwang Jeong-min) hopes he can clear away clouds by blocking Lee Mong-hak who took away his conviction and the life of his friend. Kyeon-ja (played by Baek Sung-hyun) wants to overcome the pent-up anger he feels towards Lee Mong-hak who killed his father. And Baek Ji (played by Han Ji-hye) simply wants to walk under the moonlight with the person she loves. However, Kyeon-ja screams "Have you once in your life ever lived in a world like that" and fail to step under the moon's brilliant light.

Traces of the war and laughter from "Hwang San Bul" and love and tragedy from the "King and the Clown," both productions by Lee Jun-ik, can easily be found in his new pic "Blades of Blood." The film resembles “Hwang San Bul” in how the most serious situation and tragedy is melted away by humor and "King and the Clown" when Kyeon-ja cries in a thunderous voice towards the craziness occuring in the palace. However, it is difficult to declare that "Blades of Blood" is director Lee's final masterpiece, just like the saying that it is hard to create a beautiful face with the perfect features. The conflicts amongst the characters are dull enough to seem trite and it cannot be concealed by the beautiful scenery or lyrical music. Will "Blades of Blood" be able to become a different moon for the audience who has already experienced and found joy from the prominent historical drama like "Slave Hunters?" The movie opens in local theaters on April 29.

10: Hwang Jeong-min, you did an excellent job portraying the role of blind swordsman Hwang Jeong-hak, making it seem like you were actually him instead of someone just imitating the role.

Hwang Jeong-min (Hwang): I prepared really hard for this role in my own way. I attended classes at a school for the blind and with their permission, recorded their actions and their eyes with a camcorder. But I'm still just imitating. I think I got lucky in making my acting more refined though by talking with the other actors and the director.

2010042014274359239_2.jpg

Korean actor Cha Seung-won and Hwang Jeong-min at the premiere of "Blades of Blood"

[Movie Production company Haneul]

10: Baek Sung-hyun, are you okay even after getting hit in the head a lot by Hwang during filming?

Hwang: The sound effects for when I hit Baek in the head were excellent so that's why they seem more authentic.(laugh)

Baek Sung-hyun (Baek): I was immersed with my role so instead of it being painful it felt refreshing. And for the scenes where I get hit, we wouldn't plan ahead of time on how we would shoot it but Hwang would hit me in different areas depending on how he feels that day. (laugh)

Hwang: So are you saying it hurt or not? (Laugh)

Baek: It hurt a bit. (laugh)

10: Han Ji-hye, compared to your previous roles, I think you would have had a lot to show through your role as Baek Ji. She is is a tough Korean geisha who at the same time is very noble and pure. On top of that you even sang the "Sa Rang Ga," one of the soundtracks to the movie.

Han Ji-hye (Han): All of my scenes that had been shot in the beginning got cut because I didn't act well. But I learned a lot from director Lee by talking to him during the filming. Later on, even he said that it was as if I had really become like Baek Ji and I too enjoyed the process of becoming her. I like it even more now after watching the film. (laugh) For the song, I practiced a lot with music director Kim Soo-chul and we ended up finishing the recording faster than I thought because he said he like the first recording that we did.

2010042014274359239_3.jpg

Korean actress Han Ji-hye and actor Baek Sung-hyun at the premiere of "Blades of Blood"

10: Your character Lee Mong-hak isn't that important relatively in the homonymous original comic. How did you interpret your character for the movie?

Cha Seung-won (Cha): Lee Mong-hak is a very abstract character in the original work. I talked a lot with the director after receiving the scenario for the film -- from light topics to Lee Mong-hak's birth. But honestly, if I said ten things about my character to the director, I think two was about the character and the rest of it about life. (laugh) So we created his character naturally while talking about life. I think the only effort that I put in was keeping in touch with and talking to the director often. (laugh)

10: The cold-hearted Lee Mong-hak, who had left his love and friends to fulfill his dream, tears in the ending scene. It made the ending to the movie even more memorable.

Cha: The director explained how he wanted to show passion from the beginning and more passion towards the end. It was even more so with that scene because it was the last scene we shot. We didn't really talk much about that scene but I think having talked with him about many things helped a lot.

Q: Is there anything you paid attention to in particular to play the role of Lee Mong-hak? Your pointy teeth stand out.

Cha: When I saw the original comic book, I interpreted Lee Mong-hak as a character who has a sense of brutality and savagery within him. Of course, in the film he does show a sensitive side to him, as the romantic who has no choice but to leave the woman he loves, but he also gave off the vibe of a beast so I used a prop for my teeth. I purposely showed the teeth when using the sword so that that aspect of his personality stands out.

2010042014274359239_4.jpg

Director of "Blades of Blood" Lee Jun-ik

Q: Like in your previous films "King and the Clown" and "Hwang San Bul," the king again is showed as weak and far from your ideal ruler in "Blades of Blood."

Lee: A king is sort of a symbol. But he too is just a weak being, ahead of being a king. And when I try to express who the king is, I try to show it by how he reacts to what situation each character is in, so that's why I end up drawing him as a weak and soft person or in a form which deviates from how they are typically shown in cinema.

Q: The original comic focused on the stories surrounding Kyeon-ja but the film adaptation focuses on all four characters.

Lee: The original story was told from the first person's point of view but it was impossible not to give the other characters more weight in the film version if I wanted to talk about that era and the relationships in two hours. Plus it's a film which cost several billions of won to make so I wanted to do more than just tell the story of how a single teenager grows up. At the same time, I also wanted to instill a sense of how much growing pains Kyeon-ja suffered during the ugly times he was living in so I tried to show this by drawing on how much the other characters contributed to Kyeon-ja maturing.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010042017094405540_1.jpg

Actors Cha Seung-won and Hwang Jeong-min [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actors Cha Seung-won and Hwang Jeong-min attend a press screening for film "Blades of Blood" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 19, 2010.

2010042017094405540_2.jpg

Actors Baek Sung-hyun and Hwang Jung-min [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actors Baek Sung-hyun and Hwang Jung-min attend a press screening for film "Blades of Blood" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 19, 2010.

2010042017070094984_2.jpg

Actor Cha Seung-won and actress Han Ji-hye [Park Sung-kj/Asia Economic Daily]

2010042017070094984_1.jpg

Actress Han Ji-hye [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Han Ji-hye attends a press screening for film "Blades of Blood" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 19, 2010.

2010042016595941320_2.jpg

Actor Cha Seung-won [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Cha Seung-won speaks at a press screening for film "Blades of Blood" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 19, 2010.

2010042016595941320_1.jpg

Actor Hwang Jeong-min [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Hwang Jeong-min speaks at a press screening for film "Blades of Blood" held at the COEX Megabox Multiplex theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 19, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 / 2 / 3

April 20, 2010

SBS, KBS win awards at Houston Film Fest

Television programs by broadcasters SBS and KBS won seven awards at the 43rd Houston International Film Festival on Monday.

SBS won six awards, including three Gold Remi Awards for the documentaries “Choosing life -- Part 1 Eating for Three Generations,” “Boys Home Orchestra, Performing Dream” and for the entertainment program “Star Junior Show -- Like Father Like Son.”

20100420000560_1.jpg

A scene from “Star Junior Show — Like Father Like Son” SBS

SBS’ reality program “Capture the Moment -- What in the World” and period drama “The Painter of the Wind” won silver, while animation “The Little Dinosaur Dooly” received bronze.

KBS won one Bronze Remi Award for the drama “The Sling-Shot.”

The annual film festival is one of the oldest and largest film and video competitions in the world along with the San Francisco and New York Film Festivals. The awards’ past recipients included acclaimed directors such as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and the Coen Brothers.

The festival received more than 3,500 entries this year for 60 different categories including documentary, comedy, news and drama.

Credits: claire@heraldm.com koreaherald.co.kr

April 21, 2010

Celebrity Couple Honored for Charity Work

2010041917055630102_183313_0.jpg

Celebrity couple Cha In-pyo and Shin Ae-ra will be honored with the fourth Pony Chung Innovation Award.

Created in 2006, the award comes from the Pony Chung Scholarship Foundation, which was established in memory of the late Hyundai Motor founder Chung Se-young. It recognizes individuals or organizations that bring about innovative and positive changes in politics, economics, society and culture.

The Pony was the name of Korea's first domestically produced passenger car, unveiled by Hyundai Motor in 1974. The vehicle proved a worldwide success and earned the Hyundai Motor founder the nickname "Pony Chung."

The foundation said it selected the celebrity couple for the award in recognition of their volunteering, charity and sponsorship activities. By openly adopting two girls the couple has contributed to ending prejudice against adopted children, it said.

The award ceremony will be held on May 11 at the headquarters building of Hyundai Development Company in Seoul.

April 21, 2010

"Dong Yi" keeps strong lead on Mon-Tue dramas

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042109171125288_1.jpg

Official drama poster of historical epic "Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" [MBC]

MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" continued to score high ratings this week, maintaining a strong lead amongst dramas aired on Monday and Tuesday nights.

According to statistics released by AGB Nielsen Media Research on Wednesday, viewership ratings for the historical show stood at 19.2 percent on Monday while dropping one percent the following day. The show had recorded average ratings of 18.4 percent last week.

TNS Media Korea reported that "Dong Yi," now into its fifth week of showing, also led the prime time line-up with ratings of 19.0 and 19.7 percent, respectively, gaining from its mean score of 17.3 percent from its two previous episodes. Meanwhile, "The Birth of the Rich" starring Lee Bo-young and Ji Hyun-woo, about the main character trying to meet his biological conglomerate father, saw its ratings fluctuate in the 14 to 16 percent range on both charts.

"Dong Yi," a 50-part historical epic helmed by famed director Lee Byung-hoon whose previous works include "Jewel in the Palace" and "Heo Jun," stars top Korean actors Ji Jin-hee and Han Hyo-joo. Han plays the role Choi Suk-bin, a consort of King Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo during the Chosun Dynasty.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 21, 2010

Will the Second Hallyu Boom Come in Japan?

"Can Byonsama (Lee Byung Hun) revive the Japanese private broadcasting company, TBS?” “Housewives who are crazy about Hallyu are ruining the family.” These quotes are what the Japanese media reported regarding the “second Hallyu boom” when the Japanese terrestrial broadcast TBS is about to air the Korean drama “IRIS.”

7354_1086_l.jpg

The Hallyu boom in Japan began due to the popularity of Korean dramas. When the drama “Winter Sonata” aired in Japan from 2003 to 2004, the Hallyu boom started in Japan, and it reached its peak when the drama “Jewel in the Palace” gained huge popularity from 2004 to 2005. But afterwards, Korean dramas were relegated to cable TV and have shown signs of declining in Japan. In this situation, the broadcasting of “IRIS” on TBS TV has been recognized as a very ambitious plan to light a fire again under the Hallyu boom in Japan.

TBS plans to air the drama “IRIS,” which recorded high viewer ratings ranging from 20 percent to 40 percent in Korea, during primetime (9 pm) every Wednesday from April 21. This is actually the first time that Japanese terrestrial TV will schedule a Korean drama in prime time. TBS already cast voice actors and actresses for dubbing the drama in Japanese and is going all-out to draw viewers by inviting the main cast members, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee, onto several entertainment programs starting from April 17.

Japanese sports magazine “Daily Sports” reported in the article of April 19, “It attracts attention whether Byonsama can be the savior of TBS TV.” The article also added that TBS which has worried about its lagging viewer rating now stakes the future of the company on the deep-rooted Hallyu boom in Japan.

While there are great expectations about the second Hallyu boom in Japan, there is also great hostility toward it. The Japanese tabloid evening newspaper “Hyundai” recently reported an article entitled “The Second Hallyu boom, housewives who are crazy about Hallyu are ruining the family” and highlighted the negative aspects of Hallyu by saying, “As middle aged housewives are crazy about Hallyu stars, families here and there are on the verge of collapse.” It presented the example that a Japanese woman who fell in love with a Hallyu star has recently disappeared in Korea and lamented, “There is no medication for those housewives who are indulged in Hallyu.” The newspaper pointed out the reasons why Japanese housewives are absorbed in Hallyu: “Unlike Japanese stars, Korean stars do not regard housewives as merely middle-aged women and do not look down on them. With the spirit of Confucianism, they also show respect to their elders, so many middle-aged fans are happy about it.”

Source: KBS Global

April 21, 2010

Yoon Sang-hyun to attend screening of "Housewives"

2010042112525757488_1.jpg

Korean actor Yoon Sang-hyun [MGB Entertainment]

Actor Yoon Sang-hyun will attend a special screening event for his TV series "Queen of Housewives" in Japan today, according to his agency MGB Entertainment on Wednesday.

MGB announced in a press release that Yoon will introduce the drama and talk about his experiences with shooting "Housewives," which is set to begin its run in the country on LaLaTV this Saturday. "My Fair Lady," which will air two days before "Housewives," is expected to boost the actor's presence in Japan as well.

Yoon has also been enjoying the success of his singing career in the country with his tracks "Saigo No Ame," "Neverending Story" and "Konomama Kimochisae Tsugezuni" entering the top 11 on the prestigious Oricon chart on the day of its release on March 31.

An official at Cross One, who manages Yoon's activities in Japan, explained "His album is receiving positive responses and his popularity is expected to increase even more with two of his dramas scheduled to air.”

Yoon made his debut in 2005 with his role in SBS TV series "Marrying a Millionaire." He became a household name in Korea after starring in smash hit "Queen of Housewives" alongside actress Kim Nam-joo and "My Fair Lady" with Yoon Eun-hye.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 21, 2010

Kim Yun-jin to arrive in Korea today

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lucia Hong

2010042116495175517_1.jpg

Picture of Korean actress Kim Yun-jin [L'Oreal]

Actress Kim Yun-jin will be arriving in Korea today, attending an event later in the week which will mark her first public appearance since getting married last month. "Kim will be flying in today to attend a function on Sunday held by L'Oreal for which she currently is the spokesmodel," said an official at her agency Zion Entertainment, adding that she will also greet her fans for a short time during the event.

The actress had made headlines last month after announcing just a day before her wedding on March 29 that she would marry Park Jeong-hyuk, a movie producer and also the head of her agency. The two held a private wedding ceremony in Hawaii and had stayed on the island since with Kim shooting the last season of ABC hit series "Lost."

Her performance in the Emmy Award-winning show has made her the first South Korean actress to make a breakthrough into the U.S. entertainment industry. Kim, who grew up in New York, rose to fame in 1999 with her role as a North Korean spy in the first-ever Korean blockbuster "Swiri."

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 21, 2010

South Korean film 'Thirst' wins special jury award at Brussels film festival

20100421thirrst.jpg

BRUSSELS, April 21 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean film "Thirst" was selected co-winner of the special jury prize at the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival, the event's organizers said Tuesday.

"Thirst," directed by Park Chan-wook, will share the Silver Raven award given by the judges with "Symbol" by Japanese director Hitoshi Matsumoto, according to the organizers. The top prize, Golden Raven, went to 'Orphan' by Spanish-American filmmaker Jaume Collet-Serra.

"Thirst" features a Catholic priest-turned-vampire who engages in a fatal relationship with his friend's wife. The film took the juror's award at last year's Cannes Film Festival and ranked in the 10 top movies of 2009 by U.S. news magazine Time.

Considered one of the best directors in South Korea, Park has garnered several honors in Europe, including the Cannes Grand Jury Prize with "Oldboy" in 2004.

Source: english.yonhapnews.co.kr

April 21, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actress Jeon Do-youn

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042116465061626_2.jpg

Korean actress Jeon Do-youn [Asia Economic Daily]

Jeon Do-youn will be walking the red carpet at Cannes for the first time in three years since winning best actress at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007 for her role in film "Secret Sunshine".

During the three year gap between films "Secret Sunshine" and "The Housemaid," Jeon Do-youn went through big changes in her life -- getting married and giving birth. Ironically, Jeon had been single when she played a mother who had lost her son in "Sunshine" while she turned a mother when playing a maid who has an affair with a married man in "Housemaid".

Jeon met with Asia Economic Daily on April 19, prior to the film's opening, and talked about her husband, saying that "he believes me and wants me to stay as the actress I am. When I am going through difficulties, he tells me 'you are not the type of person to be swayed by such things, so have faith in your choice and just keep going' and I respect him for that." "It may not be the case every time but he is someone who believes in me whenever I am making a huge choice. If my parents were the ones who did that for me before I got married, my husband is the one who fulfills that role now," she explained.

"Housemaid" drew much attention not only because it was a remake of the 1960 film of the same name by the late Korean director Kim Ki-young but also because it would feature Jeon Do-youn in several provocative, skin-exposing scenes. It is easy to assume that it was not an easy role to choose to take on for a married actress. "There is no such thing as bad publicity, so I am not too worried or overwhelmed about it," said the actress. "I don't think that the film has any visually shocking scenes but so much hype has been made about the scenes. I do worry that the fans' expectations might be too high."

During the interview, Jeon emphasized that she doesn't want to be seen in any other image than that of 'the actress Jeon Do-youn. But she also confessed that, after getting married, it was hard to separate 'the human Jeon Do-youn' from 'the actress Jeon Do-youn'. "I don't think anything has changed after I got married, but my values as a human have become stronger. I think my love for work has gotten bigger. Whether I wanted it or not, I have become a mother and wife but that cannot be my true self. I think the true nature of Jeon Do-youn comes out when she is working, so I'm more appreciative of my work now. I had tried to separate the human being Jeon Do-youn from the actress but that has actually helped me in accepting myself as the actress."

For a married actress, it is certainly no easy feat to balance her family and her acting career. Jeon, who says that she would have shown a different kind of acting had she been a mother when she shot "Secret Sunshine", was surprised at herself for how much having a family and a child affected her acting for "Housemaid." "I realized for the first time in my life what it feels like to act when you have a child. Really, it wasn't easy to be completely separated from my family. I had to be a lot more cold-hearted. When I was filming in Yangsuri and had scenes to shoot the next day, I didn't go home because I wanted to focus on just one thing. 'Housemaid' was a very difficult movie to work on and I felt like it would be hard on me if I didn't concentrate."

It was her husband who understood her pain when she had to stay on set for as much as a week. "Whenever I felt vulnerable, my husband told me not to worry and didn't even tell me when my child got sick. He said, 'everything is just fine even when you are away for a bit and the child is fine too." She says her husband gave her strength.

Jeon revealed however, that she will not be attending Cannes with her husband. The reason being, as she says, "I am not trying to be mysterious but I just want to show myself as the actress Jeon Do-youn. I don't want to plant any other image than that." "Housemaid" opens in Korea on May 13, a day after the Cannes Film Festival kicks off. Surely, many Koreans -- including her husband -- will be proud to see Jeon Do-youn on the red carpet.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

[iNTERVIEW] Actress Jeon Do-youn - Part 1 HERE

April 21, 2010

Jang Dong-gun, Ko So-young pre-wedding photos unveiled

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042119154367186_1.jpg

Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young [AM Entertainment]

The pre-wedding photographs of top Korean stars Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young have been revealed.

Jang's agency AM Entertainment released an official statement late on Wednesday containing two black-and-white photos of the groom-to-be sporting a tuxedo and his fiancee donning a different wedding gown in each picture.

The photo shoot, which took place in private last Saturday, had been helmed by renowned wedding photographer Hong Hye-jeon.

Details about their wedding garments and rings were also revealed in the statement, quoting famed designer Jung Yoon-gi who is also Ko's personal stylist and director of the couple's upcoming wedding. "Ko will wear Oscar de la Renta, as had already been known, while Jang will wear Tom Ford, and their wedding rings will be by Chopard," Jung explained. AM also said that Shin Seung-hoon, one of Korea's most influential artists, will sing at the May 2 wedding.

Famed Korean literature critic Lee Eo-ryung will officiate the ceremony while veteran Korean actor Park Joong-hoon will be the host. Ko and Jang had made headlines last November after admitting to their two-year romantic relationship, confirming dating rumors that they had sparked since first meeting as co-stars in the 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song."

2010042119154367186_2.jpg

Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young [AM Entertainment]

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 22, 2010

Stars play new roles in other media

Five A-list celebrities show visual artworks at the 5th Seoul Open Art Fair

21212925.jpg

Actor Ha Jung-woo’s paintings are said be reminiscent of those of U.S. artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.

A group of celebrities will get together today to show their skills - not as actors or performers, but as visual artists.

They join a group of over 200 artists exhibiting 5,500 artworks as part of the fifth annual Seoul Open Art Fair at COEX in Samseong-dong, southern Seoul. The five celebrities - actors Ha Jung-woo and Um Tae-woong, actress Ko Ah-sung, singer 100Ga and pop artist Nancy Lang - are known for their skills as painters and photographers.

The singer 100Ga, a member of the dance trio Koyote, even opened his own studio and regularly does photo shoots for his fellow performers, a group that includes Lee Pa-ni, who became the first Playboy model from Korea in 2006. When Lee made her debut as a singer in 2008, 100Ga took the photos for her album. Another of 100Ga’s celebrity clients is the Korean singer and actor Rain, which 100Ga revealed on a recent TV show. 100Ga had his first solo exhibition in May last year at a gallery in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul.

Ha, who has appeared in hit films such as “Take Off” (2009) and “The Chaser” (2008), is also known for his work as a painter. The 32-year-old had his first solo exhibition last month in Yangpyeong, Gyeonggi. Critics have said his paintings are reminiscent of those by U.S. artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. “This is a different way of expressing myself off screen,” Ha told reporters on the opening day of his solo exhibition.

21212903.jpg

Shim Eun-ha, who starred in many hit movies in the 1990s but retired from film in 2001, showed her ink-and-wash paintings last year. [JoongAng Ilbo]

The teenage actress Ko, who recently appeared on the TV drama “Masters of the Art of Study” and the 2006 film “The Host,” will exhibit three photos at the fair. She will also display other photos, many of which are images from her personal life, at the Cine 21 Photo Exhibition, which runs from this Saturday to May 1 at Gallery LF in Sinsa-dong, southern Seoul.

Actor Um Tae-woong is also well known for his love of photography. Um, who recently appeared in the hit TV drama “Queen Seondeok,” started out by taking pictures of his fellow actors between scenes and uploading them to his Web site. Pop artist Nancy Lang also loves to carry a camera and camcorder wherever she goes. She is often seen holding a small camcorder or a camera when she shoots TV shows.

The fair is a major event in Korea and includes the participation of 80 Korean galleries and art professionals from Korea and abroad. But organizers wanted to add a new element to the program. “I wanted to do something other than exhibit the works of professional artists,” said Jeong Jong-hyun, the director of the fair. “So we decided to invite celebrities who have been making a name for themselves in the art world to participate in the fair via the Star Art Project.”

The project was launched last year as an outlet for the works of celebrities who are also visual artists. Last year, it drew the participation of celebrities including Kim Hye-soo, who has starred in many hit TV dramas and films including “Style” (2009) and “The War of Flower” (2006). Kim taught herself to paint and, discussing her work on a local TV show, she described the act of painting as a moment when she enters a world of her own.

Shim Eun-ha, who had a burgeoning career as an actress but retired from film in 2001, displayed delicate ink-and-wash paintings through the SOAF last year. A percentage of the proceeds from this year’s art fair will be used to help young patients suffering from a congenital muscle disease who are hospitalized at Gangnam Severance Hospital.

The Seoul Open Art Fair kicks off today and runs through next Monday at COEX B Hall in Samseong-dong, southern Seoul. A variety of artworks including paintings, photographs and sculptures will be on sale throughout the duration of the show. The fair is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. For more information, visit www.soaf.co.kr or call (02) 545-3314.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

April 22, 2010

Lee Byung-hun promotes "IRIS" in Japan

apr18bh3.jpg

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun took Japan by storm last week while on promotional tour for blockbuster TV series "IRIS," according to a press release by his agency BH Entertainment.

The actor flew into Tokyo on Saturday, where he was greeted by some 1,000 fans at Narita International Airport, and drew large crowds at various media and public appearances during his visit.

When he appeared as a guest on popular TBS television program "Akko ni Omakase!" on Sunday, several Japanese actresses reportedly paid a visit to Lee's waiting room to see the Hallyu star including Kuroki Meisa, who lent her voice for the drama's female lead, originally played by Korean actress Kim Tae-hee. "My heart is pounding and I have never been this nervous in my life," the Japanese actress was quoted as saying after meeting Lee.

For a segment on another TBS show, hosted by noted Japanese anchor Azumi Shinichiro, Lee and co-star Kim Tae-hee made a surprise visit to Mejiro University on Tuesday, walking into a classroom full of students who were studying Korean culture with one of Lee's films "Joint Security Area JSA"

apr18bh1.jpg

The students at the university were said to have followed Lee around campus all day during the shoot for the TV show.

"Lee Byung-hun is continuing to further solidify his status in Japan not only as a Hallyu star but as an actor with his consistent acting work and transformations," explained an official in the local entertainment industry. "With 'IRIS' set to air in the country for six months, the Japanese industry is waiting to see how the series will change the dynamics of Korean Wave."

"IRIS", which premiered on TBS last night, will be broadcast every Wednesday evening at 9 p.m.

The series became a national phenomenon in Korea last year for its intense storyline, global location shoots and a star-studded cast, led by Lee and including Jung Joon-ho, Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon and Choi Seung-hyun, better known as T.O.P. from popular Korean idol group Big Bang. The drama sparked a frenzy among viewers around the country and dominated weekly TV ratings charts during its two-month run.

Lee returned to Korea on yesterday after wrapping up promotion in Japan.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 22, 2010

SBS drama "Bad Guy" to premiere August 2

2010042210332979484_1.jpg

The cast of upcoming melodrama "Bad Guy" [sBS]

New SBS TV series "Bad Guy" is scheduled to hit airwaves on August 2, according to Korean broadcasting company SBS on Thursday.

An official from SBS explained that the 20-part drama, which stars Korean actors Kim Nam-gil and Han Ga-in, will begin its run on the small screen on Monday and Tuesdays nights during the latter half of the year.

"Bad Guy" will succeed romantic comedy "Coffee House," starring actors Kang Ji-hwan and Park Si-yeon, which will run after current show "Oh! My Lady" goes off the air.

"Guy," about the paths a man takes to achieve his secret ambitions, is helmed by famed director Lee Hyung-min whose previous works include "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School" and "I'm Sorry, I Love You."

The cast and crew began shooting for "Guy" in Japan two months ago and is set to continue to shoot in Korea and the southern island of Jeju as well.

Kim Nam-gil, 28, became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok".

Han Ga-in made her debut in 2001 through KBS TV series "Sunshine Hunting." She has since starred in several dramas including "Yellow Handkerchief" and "Super Rookie.”

April 22, 2010

Lim Soo-jung attends Calvin Klein show in Shanghai

2010042210280233637_1.jpg

Korean actress Lim Soo-jung attends Calvin Klein fashion show held in Shanghai,

China on April 16, 2010. [apr agency]

Korean actress Lim Soo-jung recently attended a Calvin Klein fashion show in China where she mingled with other international stars including Hollywood bombshell Eva Mendes, according to PR firm apr agency on Thursday. As a representative of Korea, the actress was invited to the event titled "World of Calvin Klein in Asia," the designer brand's first runway show in the region.

Famous faces from various Asian countries watched the show in the front row including Lim, Calvin Klein Jeans spokesperson Eva Mendes, Japanese soccer player and Calvin Klein Underwear model Nakata Hidetoshi, and famed Chinese actor Liu Ye.

More photographs and coverage of the fashion show will be published in the June issue of fashion magazine ELLE Korea.

Lim, 30, has appeared in numerous dramas and movies since her debut in 1998 including the hit TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You" (KBS2, 2004) and films "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003), "Lump of Sugar" (2006) and last year's blockbuster fantasy flick "WOOCHI" (2009) opposite Korean actor Gang Dong-won.

She was recently cast in "First Love", a film based on a hit musical co-starring actor Gong Yoo.

2010042210280233637_2.jpg

Korean actress Lim Soo-jung (center) poses with Hollywood movie star Eva Mendes (right)

at Calvin Klein fashion show held in Shanghai, China on April 16, 2010. [apr agency]

April 22, 2010

Song Il-gook to meet Kazakhstan president today

Reporter.Kang Seung-hun Editor.Lynn Kim

2010042212423449250_1.jpg

Korean actor Song Il-gook [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Song Il-gook will be attending a state dinner today held in honor of Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev's visit to Korea.

The actor -- who rose to fame in 2006 thru MBC TV series "Jumong" -- was invited to the presidential event, which will take place at the Blue House this evening. "I heard that the viewership rating for 'Jumong' reached as high as 80 percent in Kazakhstan when it aired from December 2008 thru April 2009," a source close to the actor was quoted as saying. "The Kazakhstan president was very interested in the show so naturally, Song Il-gook was invited to the dinner."

Song, 38, is the son of veteran Korean actress Kim Eul-dong and has appeared in numerous television dramas including "Emperor of the Sea" (KBS, 2004), "Lobbyist" (SBS, 2007) and "The Kingdom of The Winds (KBS2, 2009).

He currently stars in the MBC drama "A Man Called God" alongside actresses Han Chae-young and Han Go-eun.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived