[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

April 15, 2010

Two Korean Films to Vie at Cannes Festival in May

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100415_p15_two(1).jpg

Two South Korean films will contend for the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, organizers announced Thursday as they announced the festival’s lineup. The 63rd edition of the event will run from May 12 to 23 in the French southern coastal resort.

In 2007, the entire country celebrated the crowning of Jeon Do-yeon as "The Queen of Cannes," when she won the Best Actress award for her performance in Lee Chang-dong’s riveting drama "Secret Sunshine." Now the former partners, Lee and Jeon, will return to the festival as rivals.

Lee will vie for the top prize with "Poetry’’ against his former leading lady, who stars as the heroine of Im Sang-soo’s "The Housemaid," in the main competition section. The former culture minister is no newcomer to the event; "Secret Sunshine" was in the competition pool when Jeon won the Best Actress award, and the director returned to the event last year to serve on the judging panel.

"Poetry," his sixth feature film, marks the return of screen veteran Yun Jeong-hie. It is about a grandmother who belatedly discovers the beauty of poetry, but is forced to embrace the darker side of life when an unforeseen tragedy hits. The festival director Thierry Fremaux sent an email to Lee lauding "Poetry" as a piece with sophisticated simplicity, humanity and form, and a universal artwork that embodies poetry itself.

Meanwhile, Jeon has been drawing attention after the preview for "The Housemaid" was released. The film, co-starring heartthrob Lee Jung-jae, is a remake of the 1960 film of the same name by Kim Ki-young. The original film was digitally restored under the auspices of Martin Scorsese to feature in the 2008 edition of Cannes. In the film, Jeon stars as an uncanny housemaid who is seduced by her boss, and things take a dark twist when the mistress of the house discovers the affair.

Im, who is directing the film, is also a veteran of the international film festival circuit. His previous work "Tear" featured in Berlin while "A Good Lawyer’s Wife’’ competed at Venice and "The President’s Last Bang" was invited to Cannes. "I was speechless the moment I heard the news,’’ Jeon was quoted as saying by the film’s domestic publicist. "I am thrilled and honored, regardless of what the result will be. I am thankful to the director, cast and crew for making such a good piece, and I would like to share my joy with them. I am really happy.’’

The faceoff between Lee and Jeon is expected to take place in the local box office as well, as "Poetry" and "The Housemaid" are both due in theaters on May 13.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 16, 2010

Jeon Do-yeon Returns to Screen in Risque Role

2010041600395_1.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon Cannes-award winning actress Jeon Do-yeon made a return to cinema with "The Housemaid" after more than two years of absence. Since her 2008 film "My Dear Enemy," Jeon took maternity leave from the film industry, but now she is ready to face the audience again with the erotic thriller to be released on May 13.

The film is a remake of 1960 film of the same title by the late director Kim Ki-young. In the press conference held on Tuesday, Jeon shared her story of how she had to endure two months of physically demanding action ranging from sex scenes to wire-stunt scenes. "While shooting the film, I was reluctant to continue at times because of the nude scenes," Jeon says. "But my family gave me huge encouragement. My husband did not want me to change what roles I choose just because I'm married and cheered me on. I was very grateful for his encouragement and support."

The new "Housemaid" is directed by Im Sang-soo, who is known for his unconventional portrayal of sex in films like "Tears," "Girls' Night Out," and "A Good Lawyer's Wife." In the film, according to Jeon, "There will be not only the joy of watching but also listening."

Im said, "The plot is the same as the original, but you'll be able to see a big difference in the depths of expressiveness of actors and images." He added, "It's my first time shooting a film with such a star-studded cast. That reflects how ambitious I was about this project. Enjoy watching it. I leave it to your judgment. I'd love to shock the audience with the film."

Meanwhile, Jeon will tread the red carpet again at this year's Cannes Film Festival on May 12 to 23 as "The Housemaid" has been invited to the main section.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

April 16, 2010

"Poetry," "Housemaid" to compete at Cannes Film Festival

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041610555845511_1.jpg

Movie posters of "Poetry" and "Housemaid" [uni-korea and Sidus F&H]

Korean films "Poetry" and "Housemaid" have been announced as entries in the official competition for this year's Cannes Film Festival, according to their respective production companies on Friday.

The final list was unveiled Friday by Thierry Fremaux, the artistic director of Cannes, revealing that Lee Chang-dong's drama "Poetry" and Im Sang-soo's "Housemaid" will be competing up against other noteworthy films in the annual fest which kicks off May 12. "We had high expectations for 'Poetry' the moment director Lee received an email from Fremaux who wrote to him after reading the translated script and said the movie is sophisticated yet simple," executive director Park Min-jung of Uni-korea explained.

Jason Chae, CEO of Mirovision, was quoted as saying in a press release, "We were worried about having sent in the movie which needed some finishing touches but are relieved after receiving good news about 'Housemaid.'"

"Poetry," helmed by renowned director Lee, is about an elderly lady who begins to take poetry classes and writing her own poems while fighting Alzheimer's. This will be Lee's second time taking part in the film fest -- his movie "Secret Sunshine" starring actress Jeon Do-yeon won the award for best actress in 2007.

"Housemaid," a remake of the late Kim Ki-young's 1960 classic, is about a young housemaid who begins working for an upper class family and has an affair with the man of the house. The erotic thriller presents an all-star cast including Cannes best actress award winner Jeon, Lee Jung-jae, veteran actress Yoon Yeo-jun and Seo Woo.

"Poetry" and "Housemaid" are both scheduled to hit the local theaters on May 13.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 16, 2010

No competition for "Sister of Cinderella" in TV ratings

2010041611140691384_1.jpg

Drama posters of "Sister of Cinderella," "Personal Taste" and "Princess Prosecutor" [KBS2, MBC, SBS]

KBS TV series "Sister of Cinderella" proved it is no competition against other Wednesday and Thursday primetime dramas as it continued to rake in high TV ratings this week.

According to estimates on Friday, "Cinderella" successfully kept its position on top of TV charts with its fifth episode aired on Wednesday recording its highest viewership rating to date with 19.1 percent on TNS Media Korea's poll and 19.7 percent on AGB Nielsen Media Research's survey.

The ratings dropped by 0.9 percent and 1.1 percent, respectively, the following day but maintained its position at No. 1, beating out competitors MBC's "Personal Taste" and SBS' "Princess Prosecutor."

"Personal Taste" has steadily maintained viewership ratings between ten to 13 percent, while "Princess Prosecutor" posted ratings in the low 10 percent range.

"Sister of Cinderella" is about the un-fairytale-like story of Cinderella's sister, starring Korean actors Moon Geun-young, Chun Jung-myung, Seo Woo, Taecyeon and veteran actress Lee Mi-sook.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 16, 2010

"Road No. 1" sold to Japan before release in Korea

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lucia Hong

2010041613542867323_1.jpg

MBC's war drama "Road No. 1" has been purchased by a Japanese media group ahead of its premiere in Korea, according to Logos Films on Friday.

"Road No. 1," set during the Korean War, was attained by Hakuhodo Media Partners, one of the largest media and content business companies in Japan, although only 60 percent of the drama has been shot.

An associate from Hakuhodo is said to have explained that it purchased "Road" because the series was based on a gripping storyline, a strong script and enthusiastic performances by its actors including Hallyu star So Ji-sub.

“I think "Road” caught the attention of those at Hakuhodo with its heart-wrenching story, sad melodrama and beautiful imagery despite it being based on the Korean War," a producer with Logos Films was quoted as saying through a press release. "They praised the spectacular snow scenes and action sequences we had finished shooting."

Logos Films is set on selling the show to other regions throughout the world which took part in the war such as the Americas and Europe.

"Road" is about the love triangle and friendship amongst three people during the Korean War. It is helmed by director Kim Jin-min whose previous works include dramas "The Age of Heroes" and "Shindon."

The new Wednesday and Thursday drama, set to go on air June 6, stars some of Korea's top actors including So Ji-sub, Kim Ha-neul, Yoon Kye-sang, Son Chang-min and Choi Min-soo.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 16, 2010

Korean film "Poetry" to open in France late August

2010041609021474656_1.jpg

Official movie poster of film "Poetry" [uni-korea]

Korean dramatic film "Poetry" is set to be released in France on August 25, according to the film's production company Uni-korea on Friday.

Uni-Korea announced through a press release that "Poetry," helmed by renowned director Lee Chang-dong, will be distributed by French distribution company Diaphana, which had also released Lee's previous work "Secret Sunshine" in the country.

Lee had also attracted investment worth 350,000 dollars for his film from Diaphana ten months ahead of going into shoot with a single film treatment he had sent to the company, Uni-Korea stated. "We had a great amount of confidence in the picture because of our trust in director Lee and the powerful storyline,” Diaphana's President Michel Saint-Jean was quoted as saying while explaining the reason to why he made the investment.

The movie, starring veteran actress Yoon Jeong-hee, is about an elderly woman who takes poetry classes and writes her own poems while battling Alzheimer's disease.

"Poetry" has been chosen to compete at this year's prestigious Cannes Film Festival where another Korean film, "Housemaid" by Korean directory Im Sang-soo, is also up for competition.

"Poetry" will open in local theaters on May 13.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 16, 2010

On the set of MBC TV series "Personal Taste"

Reporter.Yoon Hee-Seong Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Jessica Kim

It was just a water bottle shaped slightly different from the typical. But Lee Min-ho and Son Ye-jin talked about its shape as if they were extremely close friends ahead of a press conference held Tuesday on the set of MBC TV series "Personal Taste." After drinking water out of the bottle's cap which was much larger and spherical than usual, Lee kindly explained to Son, "I think this is used as a cup," resembling the delicate and composed Jun Jin-ho he plays for the show. And before Lee finishes his observation and is able to say, "But the bottom of the cap is round so it would be impossible to prop it up," Son too shows the character viewers have started to become familiar with by immediately spilling over the cap she had set on the table. As the water wets reporters' voice recorders, Son, close to tearing, hastily wipes off the moisture with tissue and mumbles, "Oh no, I'm exactly like Park Gae-in."

The reason that "Sanggojae," the house built on the set of "Personal Taste" located inside the "Dae Jang Geum Theme Park," feels closer to an actual traditional Korean-style house, is not just because of its elaborate features. "Sanggojae" comes to life the moment the two actors, immersed in their roles so much that they have slowly started to show images different from the past, enter the living room. And that is also when the house, where even the pine tree, small wild flowers and black and white pebbles placed with extreme delicacy, emerges to reveal its strong presence. As soon as rehearsals start, Lee Min-ho transforms into a new hard-working actor, reading his script as the first to take his place in the front yard of the house and helping the cameras set up. Son too becomes the meticulous actress she is, preparing for shoot while checking her lines and the line of movement she should take. "Sanggojae" does its own share of work as the only participant on set which fails to become worn out from the close-to-live shot show.

Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010041614124531517_3.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho and actress Son Ye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Actor Lee Min-ho and actress Son Ye-jin pose during a press conference for MBC TV series "Personal Taste" at the public network's outdoor set in the Yongin city of Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on April 13, 2010.

2010041614171262006_5.jpg

Actress Son Ye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

2010041614171262006_4.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

2010041614091703793_1.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho and actress Son Ye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

2010041614091703793_2.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho and actress Son Ye-jin receive directions from the producer during a shoot for MBC TV series "Personal Taste" at the public network's outdoor set in the Yongin city of Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on April 13, 2010.

2010041614062687198_1.jpg

2010041614062687198_2.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho rehearses his lines ahead of taking part in a shoot for MBC TV series "Personal Taste" at the public network's outdoor set in the Yongin city of Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on April 13, 2010.

2010041613451408146_2.jpg

2010041613451408146_1.jpg

Actress Son Ye-jin takes part in a shoot for MBC TV series "Personal Taste" at the public network's outdoor set in the Yongin city of Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on April 13, 2010.

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

April 16, 2010

"Personal Taste" will gain flavor, says Son Ye-jin

Reporter.Yoon Hee-Seong Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Jessica Kim

2010041614212487634_1.jpg

From left, actor Lee Min-ho and actress Son Ye-jin pose during a press conference for MBC TV series

"Personal Taste" at the public network's outdoor set in the city of Yongin of Gyeonggi Province, South Korea

on April 13, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

"Personal Taste", about a man pretending to be a homosexual in order to become roommates with a woman who wants to live with a gay male friend, was like welcomed rain on dry ground -- a light romantic comedy amidst the flood of grand historical dramas family destruction stories. News of the main cast amplified viewers anticipation for the show; Lee Min-ho was taking on a role for the first time since appearing in the hit show "Boys Over Flowers" early last year and Son Ye-jin was to play the most comical character she had ever taken on since her debut.

A press conference held Tuesday on the set of "Personal Taste" revealed that the actors' expectations for the show ran as high as their fans'. Below are excerpts from the event attended by Lee and Son.

Q: We heard you'll shoot a kissing scene today. Is there anything you prepared in particular for it or expect of?

Lee Min-ho: I prepared mint candy for the scene.

Son: It's where the melodrama element to the show starts to surface, the episode where the two suddenly become an item while in the process of becoming friends. A slightly drunk Jin-ho kisses Gae-in who is consoling him.

Lee: To put it more correctly, it's not a kiss but a peck.

Q: There must have been a lot of interesting occurences because there are a lot of comical scenes in the show.

Son: There are a lot of comic-like elements and the drama itself is funny. Gae-in is a character who uses large movements and expressions, just like someone from a comic book, but Jin-ho is the typical silent and dry guy. So Lee wasn't too sure of how to express how his character responds to a sloppy woman. He would actually want to play along but can't and instead maintain his character's tone. So I crack myself up, at my own acting by making bloopers, and the acting by the supporting actors is so great that I never stop laughing. We all have great chemistry.

Lee: I too want to laugh while showing my teeth but there aren't any scenes I can do that so it's tough.

Q: Jin-ho is someone who shows different sides to him depending on who he is with. When is it most difficult to play his role?

Lee: It's easiest when I'm with character Sang-joon (played by Jung Sung-hwa) because I can just let go but I still feel a bit uncomfortable showing him working. I need to show that he's professional and hard-working but I think I myself just lack in that aspect. I was also concerned over how to set my character's tone for when he is with Gae-in because I was worried I would ruin the character by reacting too much too her. I think that the more memories I make with Gae-in, the more comfortable it'll become.

Q: Son, you have to ruin your image a lot to play the role of Gae-in. How have people around you responded to this?

Son: I don't actively seek out responses from people while working on a role. The head of my agency was quite worried to begin with (laugh) and there were even some people who said they didn't know I was Gae-in after the first episode went out. I perceived Gae-in as someone who is a complete fool when it comes to dating, is very dirty and can't do anything. I thought of her as an outsider and egoist, unlike the large house she lives in, and with many otaku-like qualities so I came up with the exaggerated set-ups such as her wearing horn-rimmed glasses and pinning her hoodie behind her ears. Some people responded by asking if it was really necessary to go that far but I wanted her to be different from any other characters seen in dramas so far, so I wanted her to look like a girl who hasn't washed her feet for a week and someone who wears the same clothes for going to bed and everyday life. Making the drama fun for viewers is important but I think you'll increasingly be able to feel more sincerity and reality as Gae-in's wounds emerge.

2010041616160526359_2.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Some fans are worried that you are ruining your innocent image.

Song: Well, I'm guessing I'll get it back when I take on an innocent role. (laugh)

Q: Lee, you too gained a lot of attention by ruining your image in the diarrhea scene.

Lee: I was very embarrassed because it was the first time I'd taken off my pants in front of so many people.

Q: What meaning does "Personal Taste" have to you, Lee?

Lee: It's significant to me in many ways because it's the first role I've taken on after "Boys Over Flowers" and the first time I've taken on an adult character. I think this drama will be a show where I can show my potential to grow while also serving as the basis to me playing new roles in the future.

Q: Your character from "Boys Over Flowers" seems similar to your character in this show in that both are not quite the agreeable type. What are the characteristics you have set for the current role you're playing?

Lee: My current character Jun Jin-ho is unkind. But he is upright at heart and has good manners so he has an unkind politeness. He won't nag at just anyone... I'm trying to show him as someone who is unkind when he thinks he's in a situation where he's suffering damage. And I think I'm more at ease than compared to when I was shooting "Boys Over Flowers." I was asked a lot whether I felt pressured in starting a new drama but I actually wasn't feeling that pressured. I believe I'll get better over time too.

Q: Son, you've changed 180 degrees from the role you played in your previous film "White Knight."

Son: That's why I took on this drama. Actors act with their heart for a role so I was very depressed and had a hard time after filming "White Knight." That's why I told myself that I should take on a role that fits my age, is fun and one that I would have fun with on set. I'm the same age as my character Gae-in, 29, so I wanted to enjoy the last of my twenties by doing something more fun and young.

Q: Have you been watching the show on television? What do you think?

Lee: I watched the first two episodes but haven't been able to watch the two episodes after that because we've started to really crunch shooting for the show.

Son: That's why I've been watching it whenever I can on my mobile phone. I'm always critical about the roles I play so I always notice the parts I lack in first. What I'm sure of is that the third and fourth episodes were more fun than the first two. I think the main point as issue will be in figuring out how to unravel the original novel which is refreshing and fun into a 16-part series. In that aspect, it's important to know whether my character will maintain her foolish image or change. I think this week and next week will be crucial.

Lee: I think all of the dramas I'm in have been fun. (laugh) They're fun when I watch them the first time but I also become frustrated when I start noticing the parts I lack in. I try to improve but I think pronunciation is the biggest issue for me. I also think I don't quite blend into the drama.

Q: Son Ye-jin, you are Lee Min-ho's senior in the acting industry. Do you act as his acting teacher too?

Son Ye-jin: He actually disregards me. He'll say, "It doesn't matter if I do it like this." (laugh)

Lee Min-ho: This is a drama where chemistry between us is very important. That's why I dare to speak my mind and it helps a lot that she really listens to my opinions. She's amazing when it comes to interpreting situations she'll also help me realize things that I hadn't thought of so that's when I think she's a great actress.

Son: Lee's greatest strength is that he is optimistic. When I worry that our ratings aren't as good as I thought they would be, he'll tell me that everything will be okay. And actors usually become very frustrated when their lines and directing don't go the way they want it to but Lee is good at letting go and organizing his thoughts in such situations. I too am the type that grumbles to myself. He is an actor with more potential for growth. I usually work with actors who are more than 10 years older than me, it's the first time I'm working with someone like Lee who is several years younger, so it feels quite weird and fun. I think there's a lot of synergy that comes from people my age.

Lee: I have a lot of fun on set. Son treats me like she's my older sister, not my senior actor, and the guys are so funny that I'm busy laughing when I'm on set.

Q: You said you have been concerned about the ratings. How well had you expected the show to do?

Son: It's not something that we can control and the more we dwell on it, the more difficult it becomes to cheer up and try harder. It's an actor's job to do his or her best, regardless of ratings, so I'm going to do my best too. I think the drama will become more humane as the plot develops to reveal the pain Gae-in and Jin-ho have.

Lee: I am a bit disappointed because I had high expectations and the ratings aren't as good. It's nobody's fault though. We've only aired four episodes so far so I think we'll do better.

Q: How do you personally think about women like Gae-in?

Lee: They're cute to a certain extent but I think I'd be very exhausted if she was like Gae-in and didn't understand what I said.

Son: Lee has been hating Gae-in the whole time he has been acting. He says, "Ugh, I really hate that!" So I told him I thank him for feeling that way. I'm glad because that's how I want my character to seem. (laugh)

Q: Gae-in, you wear a lot of unique clothes. Do you engage in the styling too?

Son: I even wear a lot of my own clothes too. (laugh) When I'm studying a character, I usually imagine what they would wear or their hairstyle, and I've been using a lot of the unique items I had been collecting. The red parka wiht flowers in the third episode was what my mom bought from Daegu. I'd thought to myself that I would never be able to wear it but who would've known I would wear it here! (laugh) I bought the scarf from Japan because it was so unique. I'm glad I can use my own items for the show.

2010041618472863706_1.jpg

Actress Son Ye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: You're becoming increasingly pretty. Your hairstyle has changed too.

Son: I had looked raggedy and my hairstyle was the best (laugh) but I've become feminine. Jin-ho takes Gae-in to a party at the end of the fifth episode to show her off to Chang-ryul (played by Kim Ji-suk). That's when she changes and changes up her hairstyle too. And Gae-in doesn't become feminine all of a sudden but I think she is slowly discovering her identity as a woman.

Q: Did you refer to any work in particular to create your character?

Son: I don't think there has ever been such a comic book-like character in a Korean drama before. "Nodame Cantabile" did cross my mind but Gae-in has a much stronger character. Nodame is cute compared to Gae-in. (laugh) I was having so much fun during the shoot but I myself was surprised when I watched the show later on. I told myself, 'Why does my face look like that?'

Q: How do you think you would feel about having an actual gay friend?

Son: They're not my age but I have many friends like that around me. They're more sensitive so I can talk to them more easily about things I can't tell my girl or guy friends. And isn't it impossible to really become friends with guys? One of the two will end up loving the other person and that will break up the friendship but that won't happen with gay friends.

Q: What do you think you would do if people mistook you as being gay?

Lee: I think I would tell them straight up that I'm not. Unlike my character Jin-ho, I think there would be no other choice for me other than just saying that I'm not.

Q: What sort of response are you expecting for through the drama?

Son: Nothing grand. I had just thought that I would have fun with the drama. Acting-wise, of course I always want to be considered good. I hope Gae-in will develop from a character who needs protection to someone who is rooted for while showing the process of how she matures.

Lee: I had been worried because the image of my character Gu Joon-pyo from "Boys Over Flowers" had embedded so deeply in people's minds. Rather than showing that I'm clearly a great actor, I think I'll have succeeded even if people say that I've matured and that they don't see Gu Joon-pyo in me anymore. I want to give off the feeling that I'm playing a realistic character who is likely to exist in everyday life rather than be greedy to change my acting.

Q: We're still in the early stages of the drama but have you thought about the ending?

Lee: Maybe an ending like in "What Happened in Bali"? I just hope it's a happy ending.

Son: It's a refreshing story which suits liveliness of springtime. I don't think a gloomy or tragic ending would suit it, but nor would a definite happy ending. I too am curious to know what it'll be like.

Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / 10.asiae.co.kr

April 16, 2010

Big Bang to sing Japanese soundtrack for "IRIS"

Reporter.Cho Bum-ja Editor.Lucia Hong

2010041615121900419_1.jpg

Big Bang members Seungri, G-Dragon, Taeyang, TOP and Daesung [YG Entertainment]

Korean idol group Big Bang will sing the main theme song for the Japanese release of the hit TV series "IRIS," according to Japanese daily newspaper Sankei Sports on Friday. Sankei reported that the boy band will be singing a ballad titled "Tell Me Goodbye," which will be featured in the show’s broadcast next Tuesday on Japanese channel TBS.

“IRIS,” which first aired in Korea on April 21, became a smash hit due to its huge scale, global location shoots and a star-studded cast. Big Bang member T.O.P also appeared in the espionage drama alongside Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun and actress Kim Tae-hee.

This will be the first time for the boys have participated in the soundtracks for both the Korean and Japanese versions of a drama. They received the request from TBS at the beginning of the year and prepared the song in Japan for a month.

The group will be showing a new image to Japan by singing the ballad since they have only released three dance singles in the country."We hope that the theme song and the drama cause a synergy effect and that the audience enjoys it," Big Bang was quoted as saying in the paper.

Meanwhile, in celebration for the premiere of "IRIS" in Japan, an event will be held with stars Lee, Kim and members of Big Bang in attendance. The ceremony will take place at the Osaka Hall on May 26 and June 1 at the Saitama Super Arena.

The five-member group made their debut in 2006 with their single “Bigbang” and are considered one of the biggest cultural icons for Korea’s younger generation in music and fashion. They recently visited Japan to sing the theme song for a local news program.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 17, 2010

Yu-na Voted Most Favored Korean Celebrity in Japan

100417_pm_yuna.jpg

South Korea's figure-staking queen Kim Yu-na was voted the number one Korean celebrity in Japan in terms of their "feeling intimate" while her Japanese archrival Asada Mao topped the survey among South Koreans for the same category, a joint poll by South Korea's Hankook Ilbo and Japan's Yomiuri newspaper revealed Saturday.

Kim topped the poll as 50 percent of Japanese respondents picked her, followed by Lee Seung-yeop (21 percent), a baseball player, currently playing for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan, tailed by Bae Yong-joon (18 percent), an actor.

In Korea, people voted Asada Mao (43 percent), followed by figure skater Ando Miki (18 percent), who has a tie with Suzuki Ichiro, a major league player.

The Internet-based JPNews, which carried the news, didn't specify how many people in the two countries participated in the poll.

In the poll, respondents were allowed to choose multiple favorites ― up to three, and celebrities are from those in entertainment and sports.

Credits: sahds@koreatimes.co.kr

April 19, 2010

Pro-Gamer Lim Yo-hwan Dating Actress Kim Ka-yeon

Professional gamer Lim Yo-han revealed that he is in a romantic relationship with actress Kim Ka-yeon on his fan site last week. They have been dating for two years.

The disclosure immediately earned the couple the nickname "Korea's Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher." Kim is eight years older than Lim and the single mother of a 16-year-old daughter.

2010041900457_0.jpg

Lim Yo-hwan (left) and Kim Ka-yeon

Kim and Lim had remained silent on their relationship until recently, but now they will be able to enjoy dating openly in public. A close acquaintance of Kim said, "Kim is very knowledgeable about video games, and her support for him really moved him."

Another acquaintance of the couple said, "Although there are some obstacles ahead of them such as issues with Lim's game and team, I understand that they are thinking of a wedding in the fall."

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

April 19, 2010

Lee Ji Ah Joins ‘IRIS Season 2’

Actress Lee Ji Ah has joined the cast of the drama “IRIS season 2.”

7352_1082_l.jpg

The production company Taewon Entertainment announced on April 15 that Lee Ji Ah has been cast for “IRIS Season 2 - Athena: Goddess of War,” a spin-off of the original "IRIS" drama. Four star actors and actresses -- Jung Woo Sung, Cha Seung Won, Soo Ae, and Lee Ji Ah -- will appear in the drama.

Lee Ji Ah will play a special agent, Han Jae Hee, who works for the National anti-Terror Service's (NTS) branch office in Europe. She is a cold-blooded double agent who has strong physical abilities and good judgment. The drama “IRIS Season 2 - Athena: Goddess of War” will begin filming from June in six overseas locations in various European countries as well as Japan.

Source: KBS Global

April 19, 2010

Actor Ko Joo-won cast in upcoming series "Kim Su-ro"

Reporter.Yun Tae-hui Editor.Lucia Hong

2010041910424164950_1.jpg

Korean actor Ko Joo-won [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Ko Joo-won has been tapped to star in upcoming MBC weekend series "Kim Su-ro," according to Ko's agency Open-World Entertainment on Monday.

Open-World announced through a press release that Ko will be playing the role of King Ijinashi, the first king of state Daegaya, a major chiefdom of the Gaya confederacy during the Korean Three Kingdoms period.

Ijinashi was in constant battle against King Su-ro, the founder and ruler of the state of Geumgwan Gaya in the 5th century, to be played by actor Ji-sung.

"Ko's clean-cut image fits the role of Ijinashi very well," officials with the drama said. "He is also an actor who can act with his eyes so he will be able to portray his jealousy toward King Su-ro through his eyes perfectly." "I am excited about playing Ijinashi and hopefully, I will relay the inferiority complex he feels towards Kim Su-ro well enough that the audience will be able to sympathize with it," explained Ko.

The traditional epic series, a 20 billion won blockbuster also starring noted actors Yoo Oh-sung and Bae Jong-ok, is set to air in late May after "The Man Called God" finishes its run.

Ko Joo-won, whose real name is Ko Young-chul, made his debut in the SBS drama "Punch." He became a familiar face on the small screen with his roles in "The Infamous Chill Sisters," "My Lady" and recently in "OB & GY."

Reporter : Yun Tae-hui th20022@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 19, 2010

Hero Jaejoong makes successful acting debut in Japan

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010041909481638032_1.jpg

TVXQ member Hero Jaejoong (far right) in Japanese TV series "Hard to Say I Love You" [Fuji TV]

Hero Jaejoong of Korean idol group TVXQ has made a successful acting debut in a Japanese TV series which premiered on Fuji TV last week.

According to statistics released by a local research firm, the first episode of drama "Hard to Say I Love You" scored a 11.9 percent viewership rating, coming in second behind Asahi TV's popular crime drama "Omiya-san" with 15.4 percent.

"You", which airs every Thursday evening at 10 p.m., is a story of friendship between five young men and women who became acquaintances through Twitter, a popular social networking and micro-blogging service around the world.

Hero Jaejoong appears as a Korean medical equipment salesman alongside top Japanese actors Eita and Ueno Juri of smash hit TV series "Nodame Cantabile". Hero, whose real name is Kim Jaejoong, debuted in 2004 as part of five-member boy band TVXQ. The group became one of the most phenomenal K-pop acts in the country and throughout Asia, selling numerous records and recently making history in the Japanese music scene.

TVXQ has been making headlines as of late for announcing that they will no longer be working in Japan as a group and that the members will go their separate ways to pursue individual careers. The band had officially stopped working as a group in Korea since last July due to a legal dispute between three of its members -- Xiah Junsu, Hero Jaejoong and Micky Yoochun -- and talent agency SM Entertainment over their 13-year exclusive contract.

The three members had asked the court to nullify their contract with SM, claiming that their contract period was "too long", and the court had ruled in favor of them, ordering provisional disposition of the contract. However, the legal battle heated up again when SM filed an objection against the court's decision and sued the three singers for KRW 2.2 billion won, demanding financial compensation for damages the agency allegedly suffered from the members' investment in cosmetics business and their cancelled concert in China.

Last Thursday, Xiah, Hero and Micky announced through their Japanese management agency AVEX that they had formed a new group through which they will be pursuing their music careers.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 19, 2010

T-ara's Ham Eun-jung cast in new TV series

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041911310380071_1.jpg

T-ara member Ham Eun-jung [Core Contents Media]

Korean singer Ham Eun-jung of girl band T-ara has been cast in a new SBS TV series tentatively titled "Coffee House", according to her agency Core Contents Media on Monday.

Core Contents explained in a press release that the singer, a former child actor, will be playing the daughter of a coffee shop owner who becomes an assistant for a novelist.

Ham is said to have been present at the first script reading session on Friday, which was also attended by the show's crew members and lead actors including Kang Ji-hwan, Park Si-yeon and Kim Ji-young. The romantic comedy will be helmed by noted television producer Pyo Min-soo, who has directed many hit dramas including "Full House" (KBS, 2004) and "The World That They Live In" (KBS2, 2008)

Pyo is known for casting girl band Baby V.O.X. member Yoon Eun-hye in 2007 drama "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince", which became a smash hit and turned then-singer Yoon into a household name as an actress. Ham, 21, is a member of female idol group T-ara who debuted in July 2009 with the single "Lie" and "Wanna Play".

They gained popularity as their collaboration project "TTL (Time to Love)" with Korean boy band Choshinsung topped various music charts later in the year, and released their first studio album "Absolute First Album" in December 2009.

"House", which starts shooting on Wednesday, will air after "Oh! My Lady" ends its run.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 19, 2010

[FOCUS] Wednesday/Thursday drama rivalry - Part 1

Senior Reporter.Kang Myoung-Seok Reporter.Yoon Hee-Seong Editor.Jang Kyung-Jin, Jessica Kim

"Sister of Cinderella" VS "Princess Prosecutor" VS "Personal Taste"

Picking out your favorite flavor is only possible when you are dealing with ice creams. For drama maniacs, it is practically a torture that three dramas, who each premiered offering similar doses of fun, are all broadcast in the same time slot. You may have yet to decide which channel to settle on with the shows still early into their run, so here is a comparative analysis which could help you make up your mind on which show to watch real-time, which to watch the re-run of, and which to watch through your IPTV service provider.

1. The Moment of Truth: The one scene where you can witness the producers' hard efforts

2010041216520368024_1.jpg

"Sister of Cinderella" Song Gang-sook (played by Lee Mi-sook) wraps her arms around Goo Dae-sung (played by Kim Gap-soo) when she is startled while riding on the back of his rattling bicycle. But the bike actually rattled because Song Gang-sook had kicked its rear wheel. This single scene describes what the show's two characters are like -- the sly Song Gang-sook and Goo Dae-sung, who is clueless when it comes to women -- and sums up their romantic emotions for each other. Thanks to such scenes, "Sister of Cinderella" explained its basic set-up in one episode and went on to unfold its main story. How the producers left a lingering feeling through using restrained forms of expression, such as simply showing the bike left behind after the two characters fall from a low slanted row, rather than attempting to explain the details to the incident, was also impressive.

"Princess Prosecutor" At work, Ma Hye-ri (played by Kim So-yeon) sometimes positions herself in front of her desk as if sitting in a chair but actually without it or will pose herself in a posture she learnt during yoga class. That is how much she is of a woman who considers that beauty as a woman is important, even while she is at work, and that is why it is inevitable that she clash with the rigid organization composed of prosecutors. Such is how her character is described clearly and the element of conflict existent within the show. It is a bit disappointing to see how she, as one who has a preference for luxury goods, merely adds on a pen with a decoration on hanging from it when she decides to decorate her office at work. The show could have done better in showing Ma Hye-ri's style in more detail.

"Personal Taste" Why did Jun Jin-ho (played by Lee Min-ho) not drive his own car when he had to carry an important construction model. He could have at least called a cab. But he ends up riding a bus with Park Gae-in (played by Son Ye-jin) and as expected, the model breaks. The incident even happens when he mistakenly touches Park Gae-in's bottom and is driven as a sexual molester. The incident is trite and instead of it creating conflict, it is one that has been created in order to produce conflict. The first episode, important to the drama's beginning, wasted time by failing to bring out the characteristics of the two characters.

2. Trendy Drama Version 1.1 - What is the single 'one shot' needed to break away from using the cliche formulas often seen in trendy dramas?

2010041216520368024_2.jpg

"Sister of Cinderella" Main character Song Eun-jo (played by Moon Geun-young) is not Cinderella but her sister, she tries to escape rather than seek motherhood, and grabs the attention of male characters in the show with their femininity. She is a character that can be utilized by a producer who knows how to figure out the characteristics of main female characters seen in trendy dramas and flip the character over. The show excels particularly in how it shows that every woman is driven by her personal desires rather than defining good from evil.

"Princess Prosecutor" Ma Hye-ri resembles the main female character from Hollywood film "Legally Blonde." But the conflict in the drama emerges increasingly clearly as Ma Hye-ri clashes with prosecutors, the most conservative bureaucratic organization. The fact that a female character who has the looks, the money and the brains yet is senseless when it comes to working in an organization is playing the main character, also betrays the typical set-up seen in typical dramas where the main female character forever remains strong and cheerful. The only task it has left to accomplish is to persuade its viewers that Ma Hye-ri truely is a loveable character.

"Personal Taste" We live in a world where scenarist Kim Soo-hyun, now 67, has gay men appear in her drama. But he is not an actual gay but someone who is mistaken as one. And apart from that fact, the show brings together every cliche set-up possible -- a man and woman who live together but do not have sex, a friend who is always causing trouble, another friend who always roots for the main character, a casanova ex-boyfriend, and more. Let us be reminded that MBC drama "My Name is Kim Sam-soon" came out in 2005.

3. The "It" Items - The personality of female characters are defined by their items

2010041216520368024_3.jpg

"Sister of Cinderella" In the first scene of the drama, Song Eun-jo rolls up her hair before she starts cooking. The hair, tied up ever so loosely that it seemed it would unravel any moment, comes undone on the tip of Hong Gi-hoon's (played by Chun Jung-myung) fingers and flutters in the wind. This moment proved Song Eun-jo's attractiveness as a woman, as well as foreshadowing that she too is destined to live as the 'beautiful woman' that the mother she so despises is.

"Princess Prosecutor" The drama starts at chasing after a red car. The car, which stands out from its backdrop of the grey city, is followed by a pair of heals which too stand out at a solemn prosecutors' commission ceremony. And Ma Hye-ri, the owner of the two items, is a character who dazzles and stands out even when she's amongst other people. It is a explicit yet effective set-up in explaining the character's taste, vibe and personality.

"Personal Taste" She goes around with a Band-aid stuck to her forehead. She wears mostly hoodies and wears glasses at home. And she does not mind looking ridiculous by pinning the hood of her hoodies behind her ears. It seems that the drama is trying too hard to make Park Gae-in looks as ugly as possible when it comes to the set-up regarding her looks. But this does not mean she will necessarily be 'bad at dating' or 'have no sense.' Such a set-up only reflects her taste.

4. The Personal Taste of Princess Sister - How much are the actresses into their roles?

2010041216520368024_4.jpg

"Princess Prosecutor" Kim So-yeon said in an interview that she interpreted Ma Hye-ri as a character who "acts like a kid because she just doesn't know better." And her interpretation has given birth to a character who is a full-grown adult and a prosecutor who lives by firm principles, but also has yet to mature in other aspects. The enthusiastic acting she shows in the scene where she sings at a karaoke bar or her crying which makes her seem a naive character is impressive, but how she naturally spits out an exclamation of glee while holding up her drink, is a witty interpretation. Even more so when you think of her previously serious works.

"Sister of Cinderella" Moon Geun-young's acting is impressive even from the fact that she can turn over her formerly kind and innocent image. But her seeming like the rebel in almost every scene also tires out viewers. Especially more so when her pain seems to be much more deep and horrible one -- not enough to be shown in the uniform seriousness she has displayed so far. But viewers can be hopeful upon seeing from the third episode onward that her attitude toward Han Jung-woo (played by Taecyeon) and Hong Gi-hoon starts to change. Her narration is also sounding more natural.

"Personal Taste" Son Ye-jin is an actress who has many strengths yet it is difficult to see them in this show. Her having to maintain a different rhythm from other actors who speak aggressively may have made her create an unnatural set-up. The biggest problem is that it is hard to tell between her acting drunk and sober.

5. An animal, a gays and a prince -- How attractive are the men who capture the female characters?

2010041216520368024_5.jpg

"Personal Taste" Lee Min-ho's presence placed "Personal Taste" at the center of attention instantly. One can naturally accept the fact that Jun Jin-ho is a classy guy because Lee Min-ho plays the part. He has also become quite skilled at playing a guy who is not easy-going. But there is no additional detailed description of Jun Jin-ho's character in "Personal Taste." It is time the producers to something about it quickly.

"Sister of Cinderella" Chun Jung-myung's smile still pulls at viewers hearts. But he has to show it to teenage rebel Song Eun-jo who is in need of everything about her to be embraced. If he wants to become the man who can console her with a cheery smile despite his having experienced his own painful memories, he needs to express deeper emotions and expressions.

"Princess Prosecutor" From the very start, the show's male characters have had defined personalities -- a playful, mild-mannered man and a curt yet upright man. But these are typical characters. A considerable amount of star quality is necessary to pull off these characters. That is why the male parts played by Han Jeong-su and Park Shi-hoo cannot help seeming bland, an issue which is apart from their acting. They are in dire need of bringing out more details of their character through scenes with Ma Hye-ri.

Senior Reporter: Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Reporter: Yoon Hee-Seong nine@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 19, 2010

[FOCUS] Wednesday/Thursday drama rivalry - Part 2

Senior Reporter.Kang Myoung-Seok Reporter.Yoon Hee-Seong Editor.Jang Kyung-Jin, Lucia Hong

6. Work and Love, Love and Work: The story for all three stories are set at the workplace

2010041616354695205_1.jpg

"Princess Prosecutor": It is impossible to perfectly reenact the process of investigation that prosecutors carry out unless the program is a reality documentary. However, "Princess Prosecutor" adds an abundance of detail into depicting the daily life of a civil servant. The show has received reviews that even regular office workers can relate to the portrayal of the job description of a rookie prosecutor. "Princess" could become a good example of an office drama if it lays out the process of investigations with common sense.

"Personal Taste": One can't really say it is specialized. The drama does not explain through what process a house is designed, how to trim the different kinds of wood in order to make furniture, or what the necessary preparations are in carrying out a bidding. The scenes where Park Gae-in takes part in a furniture exhibition and has Jun Jin-ho cut the acrylic from a blind in order to avoid an emergency situation adds onto the sense of reality in telling the difficulties one struggles as an employee.

"Sister of Cinderella": Everyone gathers together at the makgeolli brewery called "Daesungdoga." However, this Goo Dae-sung's world of abundance and is one of the things that Song Gang-sook wants, but it does not display any characteristics as a work place. One might forget that it is a brewery, if it did not show the scene of Goo Hyo-seon (played by Seo- Woo) drinking the residue left after rice liquor is drained before going to school. As a whole, the story of the self righteous self-made owner, the femme fatale-like new lady of the house, and the naive yet talkative workers and large family all seem like trite set-ups.

7. I'm your father: The parents' desires determines the fate of the main characters' fates

2010041616354695205_2.jpg

"Princess Prosecutor": The wealthy father who wants to form a trinity with those in politics. And the mother, always looking her best, who desires for her daughter to grow up beautifully. The two together created Ma Hye-ri, who goes to work at the public prosecutors' office wearing designer clothes from head-to-toe. That is why her character, as someone who will miss out on an overnight trip held by the prosecutors' office to attend a designer shoe auction, makes sense to a certain extent. It is why it also makes even more sense for someone like her, who is being supported by a rich father, considers it only natural to "marry someone from a pre-arranged blind date."

"Sister of Cinderella": Song Eun-jo wants to break free from her mother. Goo Hyo-seon has been pained by not having a mother. Hong Gi-hoon (Chun Jung-myung) is hurt that his father does not acknowledge him as his son. "Cinderella" draws out a strong energy from how the youth in the show try to break away from the pre-determined paths their parents have set for them. But how every main character lives a tormented life because of their parents, is too much to simply be considered coincidence. The writers may have pushed forth a somewhat unnatural setting in order to tell its story. Even Han Jung-woo (played by Taecyeon), who appears starting in the fifth episode, reveals that he lived under an irresponsible father.

"Personal Taste": Park Gae-in talks to her father on the phone but one does not even get to hear his voice. He is only a medium which allows Park and Jun to live together under one roof. Jun and his mother also seem to be on good terms but there is no explanation for this either. Of course, the gravity of a parent's role can be reduced depending on the drama's characteristics. But having Han Chang-ryul's (played by Kim Ji-suk) father be the man who has had seven wives, is an irrational set-up, more so if is aimed at explaining that the son, like his father, is a frivolous womanizer. If the father is a character existent within the story, shouldn't there be some attention paid to at least how the son of such a father feels on the inside.

8. The supporting actors mean everything to the show.

2010041616354695205_3.jpg

"Sister of Cinderella": She is the kind of woman who is extremely determined and will curse whether she is happy or mad but the acting skills of Lee Mi-sook comes second to none when she instantly transforms into a captivating wife. One will be astonished by the way she comforts Goo Hyo-seon with her warm and benevolent ways yet show a hint of subtleness. Kim Gap-soo's acting too is quite unheard of -- he puts on the expression of a little boy in front of Lee but in front of his family shows great charisma. Even the cunning acting skills of child actor Moon Suk-hwan is excellent.

"Princess Prosecutor": The show is well balanced overall, portraying the typical office worker well although it does not contain any scenes with enthusiastic acting. It will be worth paying attention to the acting of Yang Hee-kyung, who contributes to the comical scenes, the sensible presence of Kim Sang-ho and the stable acting by Choi Song-hyun. There is much anticipation for Choi's acting in particular with how she pulls off both a realistic senior worker and a spinster's daughter in a relaxed state of mind.

"Personal Taste": The show has a slew of good actors, including Cho Eun-ji, Chung Sung-hwa, Seulong and Ahn Suk-hwan, as well as a cameo appearance by Bong Tae-gyu, but fails to utilize them properly. They have not been given opportunities to act outside of their previously set images. Seulong in particular struggles desperately. His facial expressions, body movements and vocalization is exaggerated as if he is in a school play. It is understandable that he may be overcome with passion to act well but it seems that he is desperately in need of control.

9. ctrl+C/ctrl+V: How much did the writers break away from their previous works?

2010041616354695205_4.jpg

"Princess Prosecutor": Traces of the writers’ previous work can merely be found in the fact that actors Lee Seung-hyung and Baek Seung-hyeon are again on the producer's show. Unlike "Shining Inheritance" which transplanted mystery into a family drama, "Princess Prosecutor" can be said it aims more at being American drama-like because it chases after the various cases that the main character solves. One becomes even more expectant of how much “Princess Prosecutor” could achieve because the scenarist, who had been popular for creating typical soap operas, has attempted to develop on both structure and story.

Sister of Cinderella”: It will definitely be new and interesting to see how the situation two female characters are laid in, will change because of their desires. However, one may think of dramas "Piano" and "Spring Days" because of how the characters are forced to become a family, the conflict which arises from this, and the extremely loneliness one my never be able to comprehend.

"Personal Taste": A good-looking male lead and the clumsy yet lovable female lead, and the friends which either cause trouble or give advice -- such continue to remain valid elements to creating a romantic novel. However, as a romantic comedy, it is a trite composition. The fundamental problem is that elements which should have been left out in the process of being converted into a drama, were included as the original writer of the novel took on the script.

10. The best and worst case scenarios for the dramas

2010041616354695205_5.jpg

"Sister of Cinderella"

Best: It surpasses viewership ratings of 30 percent and receives praise as a 'well-made drama.' Seo Woo gets complimented by Park Myeong-su on KBS' "Happy Together." Taecyeon is showered with other drama scenarios. Moon Geun-young gets top honors at the KBS drama awards.

Worst: Seo Woo gets scolded by Park Myeong-su. From a certain point on in the drama, more gangsters than actors appear. An article saying, "Taecyeon decides to focus on 2PM activities" pops up. Most of the articles are on Kim Gab-soo and Lee Mi-sook's acting. Moon Geun-young's fans console the young actress by saying she will have better luck with her next role.

"Princess Prosecutor"

Best: Word spreads among producers that Kim So-yeon would do well whatever role she played. The combination of writers Jin Hyuk and So Hyung-kyung becomes well-known. Choi Song-hyun becomes acknowledged as an actress officially. Park Shi-hoo receives the nickname "man of high ratings." Park Jeong-ah and Gil celebrate at TV personality Kim Je-dong's house.

Worst: The workers at Namoo Actors have a tough time trying to switch their facial expressions in front of the successful Moon Geun-young and the not-so-successful Kim So-yeon. It leaves no legacy like "Shining Inheritance" did. Han Jeong-su grows out his hair to decide which historical drama to appear in next. Kim Je-dong tweets on how Park Jeong-ah "should have stopped acting after SBS drama ‘When Man Love.’”

"Personal Taste"

Best: Lee Min-ho is offered 15 commercials. Son Ye-jin will always be Son Ye-jin. Son Hyung-suk no longer has nightmares about drama "Every Night." Kim Ji-suk enters the military with his fans cheering him on. Domestic and international fans all stampede to visit "Sanggojae."

Worst: Even Son Ye-jin makes mistakes. Lee Min-ho is busy looking for a follow-up drama. Kim Ji-suk and Wang Ji-hea are just up and coming stars that fail to meet expectations. The best work to date by Son Hyung-suk is "Auction House."

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@ Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin three@, Lucia Hong luciahong@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 19, 2010

Lee Jun-ki to enter military after shooting movie and drama

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041915472015804_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki in previous TV series "Hero" [MBC]

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki will be pushing back his military entrance date to fulfill his current work commitments, according to his agency JG Company on Monday.

According to an official at JG, Lee had received a notice from Korea's Military Manpower Administration to enter the army within the year to fulfill his mandatory two-year service. "But he asked to defer the entrance date because he is currently working on a movie and television series," the official was quoted as saying. "Entering the military is something that should be and will be done without question, but I think he needs to finish what he has been working on before going [to the military]."

He added that final details regarding the issue will be sorted out sometime early next week.

Lee, 27, became a household name after appearing as a woman-like clown in the 2005 hit film "The King and the Clown" and most recently portrayed a passionate magazine reporter in MBC TV series "Hero".

The Hallyu star started shooting the film "Grand Prix" with top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee earlier this month and is scheduled to appear in SBS TV's 24-episode series "Faith" later in the year.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 17, 2010

[Photo News] Yoon Eun-hye features mature image

20100417000022_0.jpg

Yoon Eun-hye, a Korean Wave star known for her role in the hit TV drama “The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince,” has revealed a mature side in her latest photo shoot for the forthcoming “W Korea” magazine.

20100417000023_0.jpg

20100417000024_0.jpg

Yoon shot the photos in Paris, France, featuring Cartier jewelry and watches, shedding her trademark image of a cute girl in favor of a mature and sophisticated woman.

Yoon’s photos will be carried in the May edition of “W Korea,” the Korean edition of a leading fashion magazine.

Credits: insight@heraldm.com koreaherald.co.kr

April 19, 2010

Rain Impresses Japanese Fans in Tokyo

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

100419_p14_rain.jpg

Rain put on two encore concerts in Tokyo, last Saturday and Sunday.

/ Courtesy of J.Tune Entertainment

Korean pop singer Rain wowed Japanese fans last weekend with two encore shows titled "Legend of Rainism.''

After releasing a special album and completing promotional activity in Korea, the 27-year-old superstar flew to Tokyo and performed at the National Yoyogi Stadium. It was evident at both shows that he is still one of the most popular Korean singers on the island nation.

On Saturday, more than 10,000 fans cheered him on during the two-hour concert, with attendees ranging from six-year-olds to high school and university students to middle-aged housewives and even old ladies who attended hand-in-hand with their grandchildren. On Sunday, the excited and grateful Rain jumped off the stage, something that was completely unpredictable, and ran to the crowds of fans to shake their hands. Security personnel instantly made their way through the screaming audience to protect anyone from getting hurt and to keep the singer from being mobbed.

Rain sang"`Sad Tango,'' a song that was released as a single in Japan, as an encore, and the cheering grew even louder. When he broke into "Hip Song'' from his most recent album, the audience sang along to the Korean lyrics. After the lights went out, fans stayed put, screaming, "Jung Ji-hoon," Rain's Korean name. Even after 30 minutes, the fans refused to leave, continuously shouting the singer's name and waving their glow sticks in the air.

The special concerts were organized as encore performances after Rain put on a show last August in Saitama, Japan. They were scheduled after numerous requests from Japanese fans. Rain's special album "Back to the Basic'' surprised adoring fans with yet more hip songs, trendy styles and distinctive dance moves. His latest song, "Love Song,'' is a soft ballad and has topped music charts both off and online.

Making his debut in 2002, Rain has become one of the most influential singers and actors in Korea. Famous for his sweet smile and chiseled figure, he has become one of the male stars many aspiring singers and actors here look up to. After filming his first Hollywood action flick, "Ninja Assassin,'' last year, he has appeared in numerous interviews both here and abroad, including the most recently did an interview with CNN "Talk Asia.''

He is currently in Korea, planning to appear on local television shows and also a drama later this year.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Big Bang to Sing Theme Song for IRIS

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

100419_p15_big(1).jpg

Big Bang

The popular Korean drama "IRIS'' will start airing in Japan every Wednesday from April 21 and the Japanese broadcaster TBS has requested the boy band Big Bang to sing a special theme song in Japanese for the drama's airing. The five-member group has created a ballad with Japanese lyrics just for the occasion.

The drama used Big Bang's "Hallelujah'' as the theme song last season for the Korean broadcast. The new theme song is titled "Tell Me Goodbye,'' and the ballad number will also be released as a single album on June 9.

To celebrate the airing of the drama in Japan, the cast will visit Osaka next month and Saitama in June to appear at two special events called "Dramatic Live Stage IRIS.''

"IRIS'' made headlines even before airing due to its star-studded cast and captivating plot. Starring Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee, Jung Jun-ho, Kim Seung-woo and Kim So-yeon, the television series took local television drama to a whole new level, dealing with such sensitive issues as North and South Korea, secret agents, love and betrayal.

Meanwhile, plans for a spinoff of "IRIS'' are currently underway. The new series called "ATHENA: Goddess of War'' casts top stars such as Su Ae, Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won, and is scheduled for broadcast later this year.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Archived