April 13, 2010

Korean-American Actor Ricky Kim Follows His Heart

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

100413_p14_korean.jpg

Actor Ricky Kim waits for his next role,

as he aims to be remembered for the characters

he portrays. / Courtesy of Woori Entertainment

With his tall figure, handsome looks and easy smile, it seems Ricky Kim has what it takes to become a star. In person, however, he's down-to-earth, funny and, most of all, very serious about his career, lifelong goals and Korea.

The 28-year-old recently finished filming the popular television drama "Jejungwon,'' and although his departure gave him time to relax, fans were disappointed to see him leave so early.

The role of Doctor Heron, one of the first missionaries in Korea who died at an early age, was indeed impressive, and even he thought it was one of the most memorable characters he has played since his debut. Not only were the medical terms new to him, but the language from the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910) gave him a hard time. "During the (first) two weeks, I would film, practice the script, drive home, practice the script, take a shower, practice the script, eat and practice the script. Then I would sleep and I couldn't sleep for the first three to four hours because all the lines were going through in my head,'' he recalled during an interview with The Korea Times last week.

After a hectic two weeks, he had to pay a visit to the hospital and this was when he finally realized that this work ethic was not helping either him or his character. "I wasn't taking care of the things that were important in my life. So during the time in the hospital, I started rearranging what my priorities were. Why stress out? Enjoy it. I should enjoy this; this should be fun,'' said Lee.

Doctor Heron was eventually well received, by the characters within the drama and also by the fans. Studying mass communication at Kansas State University, Lee practically had his life mapped out: go to law school, get a job, go to Capitol Hill and work as a lobbyist. But life took a different turn and he found himself in Korea, volunteering and teaching English on the side.

After leaving Korea to travel around the world, he realized that there were two ways to help people: become a lawyer and help people through law or become an actor and a household name, and help people through other opportunities. Four months later, Kim was back in Korea handing out his profile to agencies. Work didn't come at first, but he wasn't discouraged. "If you do good things, keep smiling and if you are happy and enjoying what you are doing, work will come some day,'' he said.

And that was exactly what happened. He got a part in the drama "On Air,'' and fans started to notice the good-looking guy with the American accent. Although grateful for the attention, this stereotype of foreign actors was actually what Kim was trying to break away from. "All of the foreign actors are similar: the boy-next-door English teacher, always smiling and nice. The only color you have is that you are a nice guy,'' Kim said. "But as an actor, I have passion and an image (I want to portray). I don't want to be an entertainer, but an actor. And not just any actor: I want to be known as a Korean-American actor. I want the Korean (to be included).''

While some newcomers in the entertainment business work diligently to promote themselves and expose their names as much as possible to the media, Kim said that that was the last thing on his mind. He wants only to be remembered for the characters he plays. "When I act, I want my character to be known. I wanted people to know Doctor Heron,'' he said. And that was what happened with the drama "Jejungwon.''

At the beginning of the interview, Kim said he had a list of the 10 things he wanted to do before leaving for law school. Apparently, he has already finished the first list, which included traveling around the world, finishing the Rubik's Cube in less than two minutes and learning his mother's language ― Korean. "Finishing the Rubik's Cube was the first thing I got done. I can do one in a minute and nine seconds,'' he said, smiling.

Now he's preparing for the next list, things he hopes to achieve soon. As much as he appreciated his American background, it was hard to not notice his love and admiration for his mother's country and its people throughout the interview. "My new list includes me branching out to the United States. When they love my acting, they will see where I came from, and when they see that my roots are from Korea, then that lifts up Korea.''

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 14, 2010

Dramas "Merchant," "Rich" sold to Japan for USD 3 million

Reporter.Cho Bum-ja Editor.Lucia Hong

2010041314562767367_1.jpg

Korean dramas "The Great Merchant" and "The Birth of the Rich" [KBS]

Korean TV series "The Great Merchant" and "The Birth of the Rich" have been sold to Japan's national public broadcasting organization NHK for a total three million dollars, according to KBS Media on Tuesday.

KBS said it sold the broadcasting rights for "Merchant" to NHK's main program-making subsidiary NHK Enterprise and the video rights to Japan's largest distributor Tsutaya.

ACC, an affiliate of NHK, purchased the video and broadcasting rights for "The Birth of the Rich." Both deals came to fruit at the annual MIP TV Media Market, one of the world's largest fairs for co-producing, buying, selling, financing and distributing entertainment content. "This was a major deal and 'Merchant' in particular was sold for the highest price ever per episode," KBS' New Media team manager Kwon Oh-suk explained.

"Merchant," KBS' weekend drama starring top Korean actress Lee Mi-yeon, is the life story of a courtesan who becomes one of the top merchants of the Joseon dynasty. The show began its run on March 6 and has scored average viewership ratings of 13.4 percent and 13 percent, according to surveys by TNS Media and AGB Nielsen Media Research, respectively.

"Rich," starring Korean actors Ji Hyun-woo and Lee Bo-young, is about a man who tries to achieve success by finding his long lost conglomerate father.

The Monday and Tuesday series, now into its 13th episode, has seen average ratings of 14.9 percent on TNS' poll and 14.4 percent on AGB's estimate.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 14, 2010

Lim Soo-jung to attend Calvin Klein show in Shanghai

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

2010041408482353046_1.jpg

Korean actress Lim Soo-jung [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Lim Soo-jung will be attending designer brand Calvin Klein's fashion show in China as a representative of Korea, according to her agency on Wednesday.

The actress was invited to the event "World of Calvin Klein in Shanghai," the brand's first runway show in Asia, which will be attended by numerous actors and celebrities in the region.

The fashion show, set to take place in Shanghai on Friday, will feature the brand's three lines including Calvin Klein Collection, Calvin Klein Jeans and Calvin Klein Underwear.

Many famous faces will take to the front row of the show including Lim, Hollywood actress and Calvin Klein Jeans spokesperson Eva Mendes, Japanese soccer player and Calvin Klein Underwear model Nakata Hidetoshi, and famed Chinese actor Liu Ye.

Lim, 30, has appeared in numerous dramas and movies since her debut in 1998 including the hit TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You" (KBS2, 2004) and films "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003), "Lump of Sugar" (2006) and last year's blockbuster fantasy flick "WOOCHI" (2009) opposite Korean actor Gang Dong-won.

She was recently cast in "First Love", a film based on a hit musical co-starring actor Gong Yoo.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 14, 2010

Director Im Sang Soo: ‘I Made the Movie Without Feeling Pressure about the Original’

Director Kim Ki Young is truly the master in Korean filmmaking history. But, I made this remake movie with confidence, free from any pressure about the original that the director Kim Ki Young made.”

Director Im Sang Soo, who made the remake movie of the late Kim Ki Young’s original “The Housemaid, 1960,” said on April 13, “This remake movie has been made after 50 years, so I think there are interesting points that viewers can enjoy while watching the remake movie. Viewers might be able to compare how characters react differently and how the main actors and directors are different. “

He explained, “By the way, the basic setting that a mysterious housemaid comes to a happy family and has an affair with the landlord is the same as the original.”

At the production presentation of the movie “The Housemaid, 2010” held in Apgujeong, the director, Im Sang Soo, introduced the movie, “The story is very common and obvious. Due to the story, it could be called a [expletive] drama, but obviously the remake movie is well-made thanks to the excellent acting of the main cast members and also thanks to the excellent composition of every scene.” When he described the film as an “excellent [expletive] drama,” he showed a big smile.

7347_1063_l.jpg

▲ (from left) Yoon Yeo Jeong, Lee Jung Jae, Jeon Do Youn, and director Im Sang Soo

Actress Jeon Do Youn, who garnered the Best Actress Award at the international Cannes film festival in 2007, will play the housemaid named Eun Yi and actor Lee Jung Jae will play the male host who seduces Eun Yi and has an affair with her.

Also, actress Yoon Yeo Jeong, who made her debut with one of the three housemaid series by director Kim Ki Young, “The Woman of Fire” in 1971, will also appear in the remake movie as an another old housemaid. Actress Seo Woo will play the landlady, Hae Ra.

Jeon Do Yeon said, “The character I played is a very pure and confident woman. Also, she is very faithful to her instincts. It was very physically challenging, but I was happy enough mentally to be able to feel pleasure while I was filming the movie.”

She continued to say, “Eun Yi is too innocent and honest of a character, and at first it was very difficult for me to act as her because I could not understand the character. But, suddenly I realized that I had been looking for Eun Yi from far away. Eun Yi could be me, myself. After that, I felt more comfortable about acting as Eun Yi.”

Director Im Sang Soo and actress Yoon Yeo Jeong lavished praise on Jeon Do Youn’s acting.

7347_1064_l.jpg

▲ Jeon Do Youn

Director Im said, “She showed a professional performance that was already recognized as a Cannes award-winning actress. As I already told her when we were filming this movie, I respect her.” Also, actress Yoon Yeo Jeong praised her by saying, “By looking at her acting that absorbs director’s directions like a sponge, I thought about myself--whether I could act like her when I was her age. Anyway, I learned many things from Do Youn.”

Lee Jung Jae talked about an episode that happened when filming a bedroom scene with Jeon Do Youn, “The director asked us to film the scene again due to technical problems. So, we filmed the scene again, but I found out that the script had been changed into words that I could not even mention (laugh). I seriously considered the lines for five minutes, and finally did it.”

“The Housemaid, 2010,” which will be released on May 13, has also been mentioned as a nominee for the International Cannes Film Festival (5.12-24).

Director Im Sang Soo said that viewers might be able to enjoy the movie “The Housemaid” by watching beautiful scenes and the excellent performances of cast members. He added, “I made an effort to create beautiful scenes. Also, I tried to induce the best performances from the six cast members, including a child actor. They were all best actors and actresses, so I bet that this movie will be enough for viewers to enjoy their best acting.”

7347_1065_l.jpg

▲ Director Im Sang Woo

Source: KBS Global

April 14, 2010

Veterans Lee, Yun Team Up in ‘Poetry’

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100414_p14_ve1(1).jpg

Yun appears in a scene from "Poetry,''

which is due in local theaters on May 13.

/ Courtesy of unikorea

lhy201004141506340.jpg

Lee Chang-dong is expected to offer a more poetic sensibility in his new feature film. The appropriately named "Poetry," may be unveiled next month at the Cannes Film Festival. "I sent a copy of the film, but as you know they won’t say anything until the official announcement. I haven’t heard anything yet so I am still waiting," Lee told reporters in Seoul, Wednesday.

The director has directed such works as "Secret Sunshine," which saw Jeon Do-yeon crowned best actress at Cannes in 2007. He also served as a member of the jury at the event last year. The film, produced by French company Diaphana, was quoted by Variety magazine as being "ripe for (one of the) competition slots" at Cannes, ahead of the announcement of the official lineup Thursday.

Here, the film is making headlines for featuring the comeback of veteran actress Yun Jeong-hie."From the moment we went into production, it felt like reuniting with an old friend; it felt natural," Yun said about returning to cinema after a 15-year hiatus. The 65-year-old was one of the top three reigning screen queens of the 1960s when she married the famous pianist Paik Kun-woo.

Having left film production just after the introduction of sound, Yun had to deal with new technology. But the real struggle was within. "It was difficult to break away from the type of acting I was used to doing," said the actress, who has over 300 films and 24 acting awards under her belt. "I have done so many films in my life, but there was one scene that worried me from the moment I read the script."

For the first time in her life she nervously rehearsed in front of her husband. "My husband said the same thing director Lee said. 'Just try to be natural.'" Her husband, however, also remarked how strikingly similar she is to her character Mi-ja _ which also happens to be Yun’s real name. "I am very greedy, and it was excruciating as I tried my best to utilize everything that this instrument called the human body is capable of."

Yun plays the role of a grandmother who lives in the suburbs with her teenage grandson. Though in her 60s, she is still naïve, curious and charming like a little girl, and one day becomes immersed in the world of poetry. She begins to explore the beauty of the small things in everyday life as she builds her craft, but when a terrible, unexpected incident occurs she discovers the dark side to things.

Lee, who has penned and helmed riveting dramas such as "A Peppermint Candy," "Green Fish" and "Oasis," said "Poetry" is "less disturbing" than his previous works. Making movies and writing is “all inherently the same in that I am trying to communicate with others by expressing myself," the novelist-turned-director said. But the film proved to be a new obstacle. "It’s about challenging myself. I made the movie thinking it was a big trial. I really wanted to face the audience but I took the long way around, overcoming big hurdles. The movie may seem like no big deal to others but for me it was something very novel," he said.

"There are many provocative movies these days, and I wanted to precipitate a response using something non-provocative such as poetry... Poetry is something we could live without, something we learn in school and then forget about. It doesn’t earn you much money, but it’s still something we need. It gives us something we cannot see but inspires beauty."

The former Culture Minister added, "I hope that this film, which is called 'Poetry’ and is about poetry and a woman writing poetry, can inspire the audience to discover something, find answers through poetry."

Yun said "I really hope the audience can dream through this movie ― students, youths, grandmothers who can and want to dream.''

“Poetry” will be in local theaters May 13.

April 14, 2010

Sixties era cinema icon returns to the big screen

poetry.jpg

“Poetry” just might turn out to be novelist-turned-filmmaker Lee Chang-dong’s swan song to an aging Korean silver screen icon.

After a 15-year hiatus from the local movie scene, Yoon Jung-hee, star of more than 300 films throughout her career in the ’60s and early ’70s, is back. She is the sole headliner of Lee’s latest yarn about a woman’s coincidental foray into the world of poetry writing.

Both the film’s star and writer-director were on hand at the press conference yesterday to announce the upcoming release of the film at the CGV Apgujeong in southern Seoul. For his fifth feature film, Lee, the vaunted bard of such contemporary social parables as “Green Fish,” and “Peppermint Candy,” said he had Yoon in mind even before penning the script for the film.

20100414000829_0.jpg

Yoon Jung-hee (right) and Lee Chang-dong (Pine House Films)

“When I was envisioning this film, the first person that I thought of was Yoon,” Lee said. “That’s why I contacted her and approached her with an offer. Because I wrote the character with her specifically in mind, the character just sort of grew naturally from there.”

Yoon decided to take the plunge back into acting because the film was captained by a filmmaker she had always admired. “It was through my trust in his abilities that I came to get involved in this film,” she said. “I’ve always had the desire to show people different aspects of my acting and (Lee) provided me with every opportunity to do just that.”

In the film, Yoon plays Mija, a woman headed towards her twilight years as a sixty-something widower who happens upon an epiphany of sorts after stumbling into a poetry workshop. Yoon revealed she had much to be concerned about because of her portrayal of such a radically different character from the ones she has played throughout her career. “One of the questions I asked myself was how I could get this eccentric character of Mija to be likeable to the audience,” she said. “So I decided, instead of struggling over the choice of playing it dramatically or as naturally as possible, I would leave it to (Lee) to guide me through which style would be the best.”

Before Lee met the 66-year-old veteran, he had his reservations about whether such a legendary screen icon would be open to suggestions and specific directions on her acting. “Because she had done more than 300 films, I thought to myself that she probably has an acting style by now that will be difficult to compromise with,” he said. “I worried about potential clashes with her during the shoot, but she performed her scenes with a willingness to discuss and this is something that’s difficult to find even in younger actors.”

“Poetry” has been submitted to the Cannes Film Festival for a possible entry into the upcoming May competition and, according to early buzz, is Korea’s strongest contender.

The film opens nationwide May 13.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.co.kr

April 14, 2010

KEYEAST, JYP, CJ Media team up for drama "Dream High"

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041413463594582_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon and JYP CEO Park Jin-young [KEYEAST and JYP Entertainment]

Major entertainment companies KEYEAST, JYP Entertainment and CJ Media have come together to create a new TV series titled "Dream High," according to a press release by KEYEAST on Wednesday.

KEYEAST and JYP jointly established a drama production company under the name Holym which last week signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with major cable unit CJ Media in producing the series.

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon, a major shareholder of KEYEAST, and famed producer Park Jin-young, also the founder and CEO of JYP, are set to take part in directing series as well as making guest appearances. Bae is also expected to engage in the planning and producing of the show while Park is slated to arrange the music and choreography. CJ has been set to invest and participate in the drama as a co-producer.

Holym is currently searching for up and coming actors, singers and entertainers for the cast of the show which is aiming at broadcasting during the latter half of this year. "Dream High" is about students attending a school of performing arts where the story will be relayed through song and dance.

KEYEAST engages itself in various facets of the entertainment industry including managing celebrities, exporting Korean cultural content and producing and investing in films.

JYP focuses on different aspects of the entertainment business including music production, new artist recruitment, training and management.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 14, 2010

Idol band A.N.JELL opens official website

2010041409043998460_1.jpg

Members of A.N.JELL from the hit SBS series "Minamishineyo" [sBS]

An official website for idol band A.N.JELL from hit SBS series "Minamishineyo" has been launched.

The webpage, which can be viewed in four different languages including Korean, English, Japanese and Chinese, features the profile of the four members of the band, a news board and a message board, as well as photographs and videos of A.N.JELL.

A.N.JELL is the fictional band from the show composed of Hwang Tae-kyung played by Jang Keun-suk, Go Minam by Park Shin-hye, Kang Shin-woo by Jung Yong-hwa and Jeremy by Lee Hong-ki.

"Minamishineyo" aired in Korea during the latter half of 2009, maintaining viewership ratings in the 10 percent range despite competing against KBS blockbuster drama "IRIS" starring top actors Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee.

The show was a success overseas as well, soon selling its publication rights to several broadcaster's throughout Asia including CCTV (China), BBTV (Thailand), GMA (Philippines) and MATV (Singapore).

The series was also sold to Japan's KNTV last month and began its run in the prime time slot on March 27.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 14, 2010

Rain Accused of Embezzlement

Korean pop star Rain has been accused of embezzlement.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office said Wednesday it had opened an investigation into the singer, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, as he was listed among eight people that a 52-year-old man recently filed a petition against for embezzlement.

In the petition, the man, identified only by his surname Lee, claimed he had invested two billion won ($1.79 million) in a fashion firm, J.Tune Creative in 2008, which he claims was owned by Rain, and then sustained significant losses as a result of account book manipulation.

"They cooked the books and embezzled two billion won," the petitioner said in a statement. A prosecutor familiar with the case said, "The investigation is in its early stages." But the prosecutor did not rule out the possibility of the singer being summoned for questioning, if deemed necessary.

Rain's management agency denied the allegation. "Rain has nothing to do with the case," J.Tune Entertainment said in a statement. The agency is associated with the fashion company. "Rain was just a model for the company, not a manager."

Rain accused of embezzlement

Prosecutors are looking into accusations of embezzlement made against Jung Ji-hoon, also known as Rain, officials said yesterday. “We will consider summoning Jung and the plaintiff after we have gone over the basic facts,” said a prosecutorial official.

20100414000887_0.jpg

A fabric manufacturer filed a lawsuit against Jung and officials of fashion enterprise J.Tune Creative. Jung is a major stockholder of J.Tune and also models for the company, which is an affiliate of Jung’s agency, J.Tune Entertainment.

The plaintiff claims to have lost 2 billion won ($1.8 million) by investing in the company. He said that Jung and company officials embezzled the money by falsely registering money that should have been recorded as Jung’s modeling fees as the company’s stock assets.

Jung is aware of the suit, but has not yet made an official statement and is waiting to find out exact details of the claim, his agency said.

By Bae Hyun-jung (tellme@heraldm.com) koreaherald.co.kr

April 14, 2010

"Housemaid" Jeon, Lee attend press conference

Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041423034129589_1.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn and actor Lee Jung-jae [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, actress Jeon Do-youn and actor Lee Jung-jae pose during a photo session of a press conference for film "Housemaid" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 13, 2010.

2010041423021924562_1.jpg

2010041423021924562_2.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010041423011516389_1.jpg

2010041423011516389_2.jpg

Actor Lee Jung-jae [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010041422591897168_1.jpg

2010041422591897168_2.jpg

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung poses during a photo session of a press conference for film "Housemaid" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 13, 2010.

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

April 14, 2010

Im Sang-soo says "'Housemaid' is classy dead-end drama"

Reporter.Lee Ji-Hye Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041421005378454_1.jpg

From left, actor Lee Jung-jae, actresses Yoon Yeo-jung and Jeon Do-youn, and director Im Sang-soo pose during a photo session of a press conference for film "Housemaid" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

The appearance of director Kim Ki-young's 1960 film "Housemaid" was an event in itself. It was an original attempt made amidst the rush of films based on literary works or the affection between lovers. The story of a house in which a young housemaid reminds the onlooker of a femme fatale, the wife who stands in contrast to the maid and the master of the house whose desires dangerously alternate back and forth between the two female characters, was a more strange and frightening experience than ever seen in a Korean film.

The "Housemaid" in 2010, remade for the first time in 50 years by director Im Sang-soo took on a new cover -- as a 'erotic thriller' with a distinguished cast including Jeon Do-youn, Lee Jung-jae, Seo Woo and Yoon Yeo-jung. Jeon plays character Euni who starts working as the housemaid for an upper class family living in a mansion after she undergoes divorce, Lee is Hoon, the owner of the house who looks perfect and kind on the outside yet is full of arrogance, Seo Woo is the young lady of the house who is pregnant with twins and Yoon the old housemaid Byung-shik who has been keeping to the chores of the family for a long time.

The film, which even the cast expressed their high expectations for, is set for release on May 13. Below are excerpts from the press conference attended by director Im, Jeon, Lee and Yoon on Tuesday.

2010041421005378454_2.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn speaks during a press conference for film "Housemaid"

held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: You must have felt a lot of pressure in having to produce a remake of filmmaker Kim Ki-young's big screen production "Housemaid" since it is considered quite the masterpiece in Korean film history. What did you pay the most attention to in directing the movie?

Im Sang-soo: "Housemaid" is based on exactly the same story as its original -- about an odd housemaid who has an affair with the man of the family she starts working for. It's clearly different in terms of picture quality or scale since it's a remake of the film from 50 years ago, but you may be interested in seeing how much or how little change there has been regarding the circumstances the characters are put in or the way they act. Director Kim Ki-young is a maestro but I think I felt more confidence than pressure while creating the film. I also put in a lot of work into the art. I needed to do something different because issues regarding marriage in upper class is a topic which is always being handled in TV dramas. So I paid a lot of attention to providing enjoyment by trying to show what their lives are really like. And there are exactly six actors in the original film so I too concentrated just on them. It will be fun watching the actors act.

Q: Jeon Do-youn, you must've thought a lot about whether you should take on the film or not because you had to do wire action, bed scenes and even get slapped in the face an outrageously large number of times.

Jeon Do-youn: It wasn't an easy choice to make. And I did worry about a lot of things but I don't think I would have done it if director Im Sang-soo wasn't doing it. The original piece was received so well that I thought the only director who could overcome that pressure was him. I also didn't know from looking just at the scenario that my character Euni would have so much to do. (laugh) Physically, it was so straining that it felt that I was playing several roles at a time but psychologically I was happy and had fun. Even the hard time I had came as a pleasure to me rather than stress.

2010041421005378454_3.jpg

Actor Lee Jung-jae speaks during a press conference for film "Housemaid"

held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: Actresses' values or perspective on their job change after they get married or give birth. How was it for you?

Jeon: Not even once have I thought I would change in choosing a role as actress Jeon Do-youn when deciding to get married. I'm Jeon Do-youn so whether it be before my marriage or after my marriage, I didn't want to become different and I didn't want to change. But what I was more thankful about was that my husband and his family were the ones who didn't want me to change after I got married, even more than myself. They hoped I would stay who I am. My family played a big role in my decision to take on "Housemaid."

Q: How was it shooting the film as the only male actor on set? You worked with Jeon Do-youn, Seo Woo and Yoon Yeo-jung -- all actresses with strong personalities in every aspect.

Lee Jung-jae: I suffered from indigestion for three days after we all ate together for the first time before going into shoot. (laugh) Yoon has a strong personality, Jeon has a strong personality too and Seo Woo isn't any easier either. So I had a tough first day but the shoot itself was fun. I had expected it to be fun also because I would be playing the role of a bad boy. But it turned out that I wasn't the typical bad boy. My lines or the situation my character would be in was 10 times worse than what was in the script for every shoot so I was flustered at the time but I think that's more of the reason why I was able to have so much fun with it

Q: I think "Housemaid" must have a special meaning for you, Yoon Yeo-jung. You made your big screen debut through director Kim Ki-young's film and have been working with Im since "A Good Lawyer's Wife."

Yoon Yeo-jung: He's the only one who asks for me. (laugh) "Housemaid" was so special to me that I was just overwhelmed with emotion throughout the entire process of filming. I was proud that I had debuted through director Kim Ki-young's "Housemaid" 40 years ago but was still an actor. Of course, nobody took notice of that fact so I was proud about it by myself. (laugh)

2010041421005378454_4.jpg

Actress Yoon Yeo-jung speaks during a press conference for film "Housemaid"

Q: Im, the different bed scenes shown in each of your films, starting with "Girls' Night Out," have attracted much attention. There is much anticipation regarding the scene for "Housemaid" also.

Im: "There was a bed scene in "Girls' Night Out," also in "Tears," and many in "A Good Lawyer's Wife." But the actors play a much larger role than the director when it comes to bed scenes. And no matter how willingly an actor has agreed to play a role, he or she is bound to become sensitive when shooting bed scenes. I actually had to re-shoot Jeon and Lee's bed scene. It happened because I was using a new camera technique but I was so grateful when they readily agreed to shoot the scene again. And I think that gratitude I felt for them has been delivered well into the film -- I couldn't be happier with it.

Lee: The lines I said the first time we shot the bed scene weren't too bad but they had changed for the second shoot. And they were lines that I just could just not bring myself to say. I was told my lines for the scene had changed that very morning but it was just extremely shocking. So I thought hard about it for about five minutes. I couldn't even throw away the paper the lines were written on. I kept it until Yoon came onto set and so I even showed her what lines I had acted out. (laugh)

Q: We saw in the making-the-film footage that Jeon, you kept saying you're not sure about your character Euni. So when was it that you actually felt what she was about?

Jeon: It was difficult for me because I couldn't understand her innocence. I couldn't quite understand how she could be confident because she was overly innocent and how she could be honest because she was overly innocent. And I ended up finishing filming the movie without quite figuring out that about her completely. I had that question about her till the very end and constantly doubted myself while in shoot. The director trusted in me from the very beginning though, and at one point, I thought I might have been looking too hard for an answer. I felt more comfortable after telling myself that I myself might actually be who she is.

2010041421005378454_5.jpg

Director Im Sang-soo speaks during a press conference for film "Housemaid" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on April 14, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: So what are the main points to watch for in "Housemaid" which is currently considered the most anticipated film for the latter half of the year?

Yoo: We were very happy while shooting the film. I didn't think much of the fact that Jeon had won an award at Cannes but I realized how great of an actress she is after working with her for the first time. I reflected on myself a lot after watching how she absorbs the director's directions like a sponge. I wondered whether I had her attitude when I was her age. I worked on the film while learning a lot from Jeon. Lee too said this film has been a turning point for him. Us three even pretended to die when the director told us to. (laugh)

Lee: It's not easy to maintain the mindset that you'll try your best from the beginning till the very end but with "Housemaid," everyone put in a lot of effort and we wrapped up shoot without any hitches. I think it'll remain a meaningful film for me.

Jeon: I too became moved and stimulated while filming with Yoon and Seo Woo. I had never wondered what sort of actress I would want to be when I grow older but watching Yoon, I thought I would want to look like her and have the passion and mindset she has when I too become a bit older. The points to focus on in our film is that it will be interesting for the eyes as well as the ears because everyone performed so enthusiastically.

Im: "Housemaid" doesn't deviate from the original story. You may think it's a very common story. And it could be a so-called "dead-end" drama because of its absurd plot but we've made it much more sophisticated through classy acting and classy art. I think we've produced a classy dead-end drama. (laugh)

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 14, 2010

Prosecutors investigating Rain embezzlement accusation

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Jessica Kim

2010041423081545082_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Rain [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Prosecutors have launched an investigation into accusations of embezzlement made against K-pop sensation Rain, according to officials on Wednesday.

The Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office confirmed the investigation department has started looking into a lawsuit filed last week by a fabric manufacturing company which has charged Rain and other officials of his agency with embezzlement and dereliction.

Yesterday, the 27-year-old singer and actor, along with other shareholders of his entertainment firm J.Tune Entertainment, was belatedly known to have been sued by the fabric firm.

The fabric company claimed that it suffered financial losses from J.Tune Creative, a fashion affiliate of J.Tune Entertainment set up in 2008, which Rain is also the main model of. The plaintiff said it invested two billion won in the fashion firm but Rain and other shareholders of J.Tune Creative embezzled their money by falsely registering the company's stock assets worth 2.5 billion won and claiming Rain's modeling fees worth 2 billion.

J.Tune has refrained from releasing an official response, saying they are in the process of determining the facts behind the case. Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is considered one of the most successful Korean stars in the entertainment business. He has lead a popular singing career throughout Asia and has expanded his acting career into Hollywood, appearing in action film "Speed Racer" and martial arts picture "Ninja Assassin" last year.

Reporter: Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 15, 2010

Dramas forgo foreign locations for home

Cost trumps glamour for many Korean broadcasting companies

14231408.jpg

The SBS series “Life is Beautiful” is just one of the TV dramas filmed on Jeju Island. Advancements in CG graphics and declining budgets have increasingly led broadcasting companies to film in Korea rather than abroad. Provided by SBS

Zoom in on a location shoot for a TV drama. There are beautiful people everywhere, going over their lines or rehearsing the next sequence - all this framed by structures that are indicative of the foreign country in which the scene is supposed to be set. The director gives the cue and the cameras roll. This is often the scene when a production is filmed overseas, but the idea of going abroad to go on location is becoming less attractive to many Korean broadcasters, which, in a dramatic shift, are choosing to film their drama series closer to home.

The hit KBS2 drama series, “Boys Over Flowers,” which had an audience share of 30 percent in Korea during its run in early 2009, featured scenes filmed in New Caledonia and Macao. The drama, which is based on a Japanese manga, tells the story of a student from a poor family who gets into a prestigious private school attended by students from wealthy families. The plot has many of the characters flying to different countries, and the producers chose to film those scenes overseas.

But the number of broadcasters willing to follow them has declined significantly in the last year. According to experts, many broadcasting companies tightened their belts after the global financial crisis. In addition, recent advancements in computer graphics have made it possible for producers to replicate scenes that previously had to be filmed on location. As its name implies, the current KBS2 drama series, “Birth of the Rich,” tells tales of wealthy characters - but not a single scene depicts an overseas location.

Not all are following the trend. The current MBC drama series, “A Man Called God,” chose Hawaii as its main location, racking up around 10 billion won ($896,860) in production costs. But the drama received harsh criticism for choosing foreign locales that were inconsequential to the plot. It was also panned for the low quality of the acting and the highly improbable story line. It is currently earning an audience share of just 10 percent.

Still, the recently-ended KBS drama series, “Chuno,” which was popular with female audiences thanks to the hunky male actors who frequently appeared shirtless on the show, won praise for its effective use of computer graphics in recreating a desert scene. The backdrop looked like the Mongolian desert but was actually shot on a local beach and finished with CG effects. “Considering the cost and time involved when foreign locations are used, there were more disadvantages than advantages to shooting overseas,” Kwak Jeong-hwan, the program director said.

Although many historical dramas have been shot overseas, including MBC’s “Queen Seondeok” (2009), whose sweeping vistas were shot in various foreign locations, many producers are saying they can no longer afford to spend such a large chunk of their budgets on filming outside of Korea. “We had to shoot in foreign locations to show the vast landscape of China in the first couple of episodes, but these days, the trend is to cut back on production costs - and the first thing to do is not to go abroad,” Jeong Un-hyun, director of MBC’s drama division.

The decline in the number of productions filming abroad has been a boon for the local tourism industry. One of the most popular domestic locations for drama productions is Jeju Island. In addition to Chuno, the current KBS1 drama “Merchant Kim Man-deok” and SBS’s “Life is Beautiful” were filmed on Jeju. The locations where they were shot have drawn a steady stream of visitors from Korea and abroad who are looking to follow in the footsteps of their favorite stars.

“Korean TV dramas have without a doubt been a cornerstone of the Korean wave. After the drama series ‘Dae Jang-geum,’ which was shot in Jeju, aired in Asia, swarms of Asian fans, especially from China, visited the island, which really gave a boost to its tourism industry,” said Kim Hyun-bum, a Jeju Island tourism official.

By Yim Seung-hye, Kang Hye-ran [estyle@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

April 15, 2010

South Korean dramas finally go primetime in Japan

By Chris Gallagher

bh_irisb.jpg

TOKYO, April 15 (Reuters Life!) - South Korean TV dramas have dazzled Japanese fans ever since love story "Winter Sonata" ushered in Korean pop culture almost a decade ago, and now these shows have become primetime viewing.

The hit spy thriller "Iris" debuts on network TBS (9401.T) next Wednesday, the first South Korean series to air on a major Japanese commercial broadcaster during the key viewing block and underlining Korean dramas' breakthrough into mainstream Japan.

The espionage spectacular, starring Lee Byung-hun ("I Come with the Rain" and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra"), is also notable for being one of a very few foreign series to ever appear on Japanese network TV during the 7-10 p.m. "Golden Time" slot, which is typically heavy on quiz shows featuring local stars. "IRIS is so different from the Korean Wave dramas up until now," said TBS producer Yuko Yoshino, pointing to its overseas filming locations, star-studded cast and complex political storyline.

"We judged that the content is enough to compete even during Japan's primetime," she told Reuters in an interview, adding that there were never any reservations among station executives about giving "IRIS" a primetime slot.

The "Korean Wave" -- a boom in South Korean pop culture -- swept Japan in the early 2000s when public broadcaster NHK aired the Bae Yong-joon starring "Winter Sonata," putting middle-aged female fans in a frenzy over the hunk nicknamed "Yon-sama" with some even taking tours to locations where the series was shot.

South Korean dramas, especially those of the romance genre, have since become a staple of Japanese cable and daytime TV but a primetime slot on network television had until now been virgin territory.

WIDER AUDIENCE APPEAL

"IRIS" revolves around two operatives, played by Lee and Jung Joon-ho, and their sultry colleague, Kim Tae-hee, in the ultra-secret spy organisation NSS, caught up in North/South political intrigue from Hungary to Japan in a shadowy world of assassins and arms dealers.

The series, which TBS is to air on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. local time, was a blockbuster during its original 20-episode run on South Korean public broadcaster KBS last autumn with average viewer ratings of over 30 percent.

Yoshino noted that "IRIS" would have a built-in audience among core Korean-drama fans, many of which are middle-aged women, but stressed the importance of aiming for a wider demographic through its primetime showing. "I think we need to target a mass audience, such as men who have had no interest in them (Korean dramas), kids and young people," she said. "That's why we're not using the word 'Korean Wave' at all in our advertising," Yoshino said, emphasising that she particularly wanted male audiences to tune in.

As part of this push, TBS will air "IRIS" dubbed in Japanese for its primetime run, which Yoshino said many viewers prefer to subtitles, using voiceovers from the likes of actor Tatsuya Fujiwara and actress Meisa Kuroki.

Korean-drama aficionados who prefer the actual voices of Lee and other stars, however, will be able to watch "IRIS" in subtitles on cable's TBS Channel.

As for broadcasting other foreign series during primetime hours, Yoshino said TBS had no such plans and would first need to see how "IRIS" performed.(Editing by Miral Fahmy)

Source: reuters.com

April 15, 2010

E Ji-ah locked in as female lead for "IRIS" sequel

2010041513295264137_1.jpg

Korean actress E Ji-ah [Official E Ji-ah website]

Korean actress E Ji-ah has joined the main cast of upcoming action TV series "Athena," the sequel to last year's hit blockbuster drama "Iris," according to the show's producer Taewon Entertainment on Thursday.

"E will be playing the role of Han Jae-hui, a special agent under the European branch of the national anti-terror services," explained a producer with Taewon. He went onto explain that she was chosen as one of the lead female characters even though she is new to the entertainment industry because she showed great strength and charisma with her previous roles in MBC's "The Story of the First King's Four Gods" and "Beethoven Virus."

Taewon is eyeing the latter half of this year for the airing of "Athena," about terrorist acts and threats against the Korean Peninsula and the world. It will go into production starting in June in Italy and Switzerland and continue on into six other countries including Singapore and New Zealand.

E, 29, made her debut in the 2007 historical epic "Four Gods" as Suzini, the love interest of Hallyu star Bae Yong-jun. She also appeared in the big screen with "My Love, Ugly Duckling" alongside actor Kang Ji-hwan.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 15, 2010

Ex-2PM Member Jaebum Set To Star in "Hype Nation"

e100415_01.jpg

After months of being one of the hottest topics in k-pop, it has been confirmed by the officials of the movie project "Hype Nation" that Jaebum (aka Jay Park) will be returning to Korea in June. He has been casted in a main role in the film which will be set 70% in Korea.

After returning to the US last September, Jaebum has been anything but quiet. He has been uploading videos on YouTube and even performed at a university event. There's been a lot of speculation over the private reason why JYP Entertainment found it unsuitable to have Jaebum rejoin the group.

Regardless of all the media mess, this movie seems to be a potentially big, career-altering break for the young entertainer. Aside from Jaebum, American group B2K is also set to play a role in the movie which will be about b-boys from the east and the west. A Hype Nation official also revealed that different k-pop girl group members are being considered to fill the spot of Jaebum's character's sister.

Source: KBS Global

April 14, 2010

Former 2PM member Jae-beom to star in "Hype Nation"

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lucia Hong

2010041410343163996_1.jpg

Former 2PM member Jae-beom [Asia Economic Daily]

Boy band 2PM's former leader Park Jae-beom has signed on for movie "Hype Nation," according to an official with the film on Wednesday.

The official explained that Park signed a contract with the movie's producer Young Lee, agreeing to appear in "Nation" as well as participating in the soundtrack for the movie which is set for filming starting June. Park is expected to fly into Korea for the film since 70 percent of the movie will be shot in Korea.

"Nation," about a dance contest between an American dance crew and South Korean dancers, is targeted at a global market with the lines to be relayed in English. The role for the female lead has yet to be set but Lee is said to be in talks with a member from a Korean girl group. Lee had originally cast Korean female singer Son Dambi for the lead role but Son reportedly pulled out of the project after production of the film got delayed.

Park quit his band last September after comments he made on his MySpace account before his debut surfaced and stirred nationwide controversy. He was expected to rejoin the group earlier this year but officially parted with JYPE for good in February over "a huge personal wrongdoing."

Last month, he was seen participating in a b-boy dance contest in Vancouver, Canada with his dance crew Art of Movement.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.krEditor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

April 15, 2010

'Air Doll' Leaves Poignant Sting

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

100415_p10_air.jpg

South Korean actress Bae Doo-na stars as a blow-up sex doll

that develops a soul one day and explores what it means to be human

in the critically acclaimed Japanese film "Air Doll.'' / Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

We’ve seen sentimental robots and other such non-human characters teach us lessons about humanity. Now a sex toy comes to life in a film which ― despite the rather "decadent’’ origins of its subject matter ― ultimately brims with childlike innocence and leaves a poignant sting.

Directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, the film had been invited to prestigious film festivals including Cannes and Pusan (Busan) last year. It drew rave reviews from Japanese critics and the audience alike, and South Korea’s quirky actress Bae Doo-na picked up several Best Actress awards for the title role. In her second Japanese project after "Linda Linda Linda’’ (2006), Bae captivates the viewer as a life-size doll that develops a soul ― as is with solid fantasy tales, the implausible "why’' and "how’' bits are of little importance.

A frustrated middle-aged waiter (Itsuji Itao) finds solace in his beloved "companion’’ Nozomi (Bae). But unlike the delusional protagonist of "Lars and the Real Girl’’ he is completely aware that Nozomi is well, not really real, even though he cares enough to take her for a stroll in the park and such wearing matching outfits.

One day our inflatable protagonist wakes up and starts to feel everything around her. The transformation from an actual plastic toy to the flesh-and-blood Bae, is most natural, as the doe-eyed actress blinks and moves convincingly like a real doll. After her owner leaves the house for work, she dresses up in her favorite French maid outfit and begins to explore the neighborhood, learning the basics of human interaction and also picking up Japanese words here and there.

Nozomi ends up at the local video store and her breath halts the moment her eyes fall upon the store clerk Junichi (Arata). She has yet to define the heart-stopping emotion she feels, or even learn what a movie actually is, but this isn’t a problem as she is accidently hired to work at the store.

Nozomi thus begins to lead a double life as curious quasi-human by day and a lust-fulfilling, lifeless doll by night. She begins to blend in better as she learns how to apply makeup ― covering up all signs of her inflatable-ness ― and shop for more ordinary clothing. Moreover, she begins to exhibit human virtues and vices: "I have a heart now, so I lied," she says to herself after saying that she doesn’t have a boyfriend.

Nozomi and Junichi spend more and more time together, and our lovely heroine sparkles and shines in the warm attention of the initially stolid young man. Her true identity, however, is compromised when she gets a cut, and starts deflating, while organizing DVDs. Will Junichi be able to accept who ― or what ― she really is?

The film provides an intimate look into modern illnesses such as self-imposed alienation, as well as the easily overlooked charms of everyday life, through an innocent yet all-knowing pair of eyes. Nozomi’s open heart detects all the beauty and the filth around her, and the lovely mise-en-scene nimbly captures the process, maintaining a certain distance without missing the fine details.

Fans of Japanese cinema can look forward to the short yet impressive appearance of heartthrob Jo Odagiri.

Now showing in theaters. 18 and over. In Japanese with Korean subtitles. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

April 15, 2010

Hallyu faces turning point

20100415001001_0.jpg

The Korean Wave (Hallyu), which has taken the country’s global recognition to new heights in the last decade, has reached a crossroad.

About 200 local and foreign experts gathered for a seminar in Seoul on Tuesday to discuss the developments and emerging challenges for Hallyu. The seminar, titled “Taking Hallyu Beyond Asia: It’s Now About Class,” served to help diagnose the current status and outlook of Hallyu, as well as outline measures for a boost. The occasion brought together Korean, Chinese and Japanese Hallyu experts.

The forum was jointly organized by the foundation and Choi Koo-shik, a National Assembly member with the ruling Grand National Party. A newly created “Korean Wave Index” was introduced at the seminar and the findings of an “anti-Hallyu” research project based on five Asian countries were presented. A study on the current status of the phenomenon in nine countries around the world was also unveiled.

The newly established index, which serves to gauge current Hallyu conditions abroad, was developed by Koh Jung-min, a professor at Hongik University and manager of the Korea Creativity Industry Research Center. The geographical range for the Korea Wave Index covers Japan, China, Taiwan and Vietnam. Categories analyzed include movies, music, broadcasting programs and games. A related consumer index covering the number of movie viewers, number of album purchases, popularity ratings, internet downloads, recognition level, quality, image and loyalty are also considered for the index.

According to Lee Yoon-kyung, a researcher at the Korea Culture Tourism Research Center, anti-Hallyu sentiment has developed in five Asian countries that Korean pop culture had taken by storm between 2005 and 2009. Lee’s study showed that articles in major daily newspapers and leading online community sites in Japan, China, Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore revealed negative views toward the Korea Wave. In Japanese news articles, the negative sentiment was suggested through a hostile tone on Korea-related issues, while Chinese newspapers tended to criticize the proliferation of Korean dramas and Korean companies entering the Chinese market, according to Yoon’s study.

While Indonesia did not have dislike articles, the country’s interest in Korea was found to be based on the phenomena of fandom, Korean celebrities and the culture of cosmetic surgery. “Lee Yoon-kyung’s study of the major daily newspapers in the five Asian countries did not show extreme criticism or dislike for the Korea wave, but news stories in Japan, China, and Thailand voiced the need for restricting the expansion of the Korea Wave, and warned of the possibility of triggering a bigger issue if the wave is tied to another issue,” the Korea Foundation for International Culture Exchange highlighted.

As measures to invigorate the Korea Wave overseas, experts participating in the seminar recommended raising the quality of contents, as opposed to being preoccupied with the volume of traded contents, the export value, and commercial opportunities.“This seminar has served as a wake up call, signaling that it is time for Korea to take a different approach and change its perception of the ways to raise global recognition of Korea,” said Park Jong-sup, manager of the planning and management division at the foundation. “We’ve learned that we need to expand our range of areas for cultural exchange and move away from being so focused on cultural products.”

Between 1997 and 2000, the keyword was “creating Hallyu,” with drama and music serving as the main drivers in China, Taiwan and Vietnam. In the second phase, which covered the early 2000s to mid 2000s, the growth drivers expanded to movies and games, while the wave spread to Japan and Southeast Asia.

The latest phase, marked by the second half of the 2000s, saw the entry of cartoons, character figures, Korean cuisine and Korean language. The wave reached out to countries in Central Asia, Africa and the United States.

By Yoo Soh-jung (sohjung@heraldm.com) koreaherald.co.kr

April 15, 2010

Four Asian films compete at Cannes

Five more feature in Un Certain Regard

By Jonathan Landreth

cannesfilmfestival2010p.jpg

BEIJING -- Korean directors are leading Asia's charge on the 63rd Cannes Film Festival, which announced its 2010 line-up on Thursday in Paris.

Selected from Asia to compete in the annual south of France fete beginning May 12 are South Korean director Im Sang-soo's "The Housemaid," a remake of the 1960s classic domestic thriller of the same name, and repeat Cannes-contender Lee Chang-dong with "Poetry," which lured actress Yun Jeong-hie out of retirement.

Lee's "Secret Sunshine" was nominated for the Palme D'or in 2007, and garnered the Best Actress award for Jeon Do-yeon.

Also in competition from Asia at Cannes 2010 are returnee Takeshi Kitano with "Outrage," the Japanese actor-director's return to gangster films, and Thai newcomer, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, with his Spanish-German-French-British co-production "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives," a film that deals with the themes of karma and reincarnation.

"Six or seven more" competition selections will be made in the coming days, festival director Thierry Fremaux said on Thursday in Paris. The eight-member competition jury led by American director Tim Burton has but one Asian member this year, Indian director-actor-producer Shekhar Kapur.

In the festival's Un Certain Regard Section this year are Korean director Hong Sang-soo's love story "Ha Ha Ha"; Indian Vikramaditya Motwane's directorial debut "Udaan"; Japanese director Hideo Nakata's English feature, "Chatroom," made in the U.K.; Dutch director David Verbeek's video gaming thriller "R U There," made in Taiwan; and Chinese director Wang Xiaoshuai's "Chongqing Blues," a film based on a true story about a father trying to discover how his estranged son was killed by the police.

The 2009 Cannes Film Festival saw Filipino Brillante Mendoza take home the award for Best Director for his film "Kinatay," South Korean Park Chan-wook take home the Jury Prize for "Thirst," and Chinese writer Mei Feng take home the Best Screenplay prize for "Spring Fever," a Hong Kong production of director Lou Ye's film.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Cannes reveals Competition lineup

Competition to feature 16 films from 13 countries

By Rebecca Leffler

1999091.jpg

PARIS – An international pot pourri of all-male auteurs from across the globe will battle France's own filmmaking superstars on their home turf when the French-accented 63rd Festival de Cannes kicks off its annual Riviera rendez-vous on May 12th, the fest's artistic director Thierry Fremaux announced Thursday at a press conference in Paris.

Familiar faces in the famous fest's Competition selection including Abbas Kiarostami, Takeshi Kitano, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Mike Leigh and Lee Chang-Dong will screen their films alongside Gallic filmmakers Bertrand Tavernier, Xavier Beauvois, Mathieu Amalric and Franco-Algerian director Rachid Bouchareb.

The Competition will feature 16 films from 13 countries. 46 features had been chosen for the full selection as of Thursday's conference, with "six or seven more" to come in the coming days, Fremaux told journalists at the conference held at the luxe Parisian Grand Hotel.

The red carpets won't be lacking famous faces. Former jury president Sean Penn will be back on the Palais red carpet steps for Doug Liman's "Fair Game" a drama about the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson, played by Naomi Watts, who also be doing double duty with Allen's "Stranger." Penn may or may not also be heading to Cannes for Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life" which isn't yet completed, but may be in time for the festival. "Terrence Malick's film isn't ready yet," Fremaux said, but added "We're crossing our fingers."

Palme d'Or-winner Abbas Kiarostami will be back In Competition with "The Certified Copy," which stars the face of this year's Festival de Cannes poster, French actress Juliette Binoche. Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is hoping critics will find his latest film "Biutiful" beautiful when the Spanish-language film starring Javier Bardem screens In Competition. Also In Competition is "La nostra vita," from Italy's Daniele Luchetti. Russia will be well-represented in the Competition with two titles from Sergei Loznitsa's "You, My Joy" and Nikita Mikhalkov's "Utomlyonnye Solntsem 2." Hard-to-pronounce titles are ubiquitous In Competition this year with Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul's "Loong Boonmee Raleuk Chaat" also selected.

There will also be a British accent to the lineup with U.K. Mike Leigh's "Another Year" starring Jim Broadbent and Imelda Staunton. Fremaux and his selection team usually pick the French titles last and arriving fashionably late to this year's lineup are Xavier Beauvois' Monk-centric drama "Of Gods and Men" will also screen In Competition. The film is set at a monastery in the Maghreb mountains during the 1990s and stars Lambert Wilson, Michael Lonsdale and Roschdy Zem.

French actor Mathieu Amalric, a familiar face in front of the camera, will show off his latest turn behind the scenes with "Tournee." Filmmaking legend Bertrand Tavernier will enter the Competition with his period piece "La Princesse de Montpensier" starring this year's Cesar-winner for most promising actress Melanie Thierry as the 16th-century heroine. Franco-Algerian director Rachid Bouchareb will follow up his 2006 Cannes hit "Days of Glory" with "Outside the Law."

While this year's selection is lacking in Asian flair, Japanese director Takeshi Kitano will premiere his thriller "Outrage" and South Korean director Lee Chang-dong will bring his drama "Poetry" to the Competition. Korean director Im Sang-Soo will enter the Competition with remake "Housemaid."

While many of the U.S. titles are studio films showing Out Of Competition, after last year's Hollywood-light lineup, stars and stripes will be in the spotlight this year as some of America's top filmmaking talents screen their latest projects for the Cannes crowds. A fitting title for the festival that never sleeps is Oliver Stone's highly anticipated "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps." Michael Douglas stars in his iconic Gordon Gekko role alongside Shia LaBeouf, Josh Brolin and Carey Mulligan. Fox recently pushed the film's release date from April 23 to Sept 24 to keep it in the running for the Cannes lineup. The film will screen Out of Competition during the first weekend of the fest.

Woody Allen will be back at the Palais theater after a successful Riviera run with "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" with his latest London-based film "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" Out of Competition. The Sony Classics title's all-star cast includes Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, Naomi Watts and Freida Pinto. The director will be back in France this summer to shoot his as yet untitled Paris summer project starring Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard and France's first lady Carla Bruni.

Also screening Out of Competition is Stephen Frears' just-in-time-for-Cannes "Tamara Drewe," an adaptation of the Posy Simmonds graphic novel starring rapidly rising star Gemma Arterton in the title role. As previously announced, Ridley's Scott's "Robin Hood" will open the festival on May 12. Bilingual actress Kristin Scott Thomas will emcee the opening and closing night ceremonies.

Young American director Gregg Araki will follow up his 2007 Director's Fortnight stoner comedy "Smiley Face" with his latest film "Kaboom" about the sexual awakening of a group of college students that will premiere as a Midnight Screening. French director Gilles Marchand's "L'Autre Monde" will also screen at Midnight out of Competition. French New Waver Jean-Luc Godard is sure to shake things up with politically charged documentary "Socialism" in Un Certain Regard. Wild Bunch is handling international sales for the self-titled "symphony in three movements." Other highlights of the Un Certain Regard section include 102 year-old director Manuel de Oliviera's "Angelica," Canadian director Xavier Dolan's "Les Amours Imaginaires" and Korean director Hong Sang-Soo's "Ha ha ha" in that category.

Romanian director Cristi Puiu will enter the category with "Aurora." Puiu's "The Death of Mr Lazarescu" won the Un Certain Regard prize in 2005. Set to join Jury president Tim Burton in Cannes Wonderland are British actress Kate Beckinsale, Puerto Rican actor Benicio del Toro, French writer-screenwriter-director and former film critic Emmanuel Carrere, Indian director-actor-producer Shekhar Kapur, Spanish director Victor Erice, Director of Italy's National Cinema Museum Alberto Barbera and Italian actress Giovanna Mezzogiorno.

Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan will preside over the Cinefondation Jury alongside French actress Emmanuelle Devos, Russian actress Dinara Droukarova, Brazilian director Carlos Diegues and Spanish director Marc Recha. Claire Denis was named president of the Un Certain Regard Jury and Gael Garcia Bernal will head up the Camera d'Or Jury. Despite a boycott from international news agencies Reuters, Getty Images, the AFP and AP due to restrictions imposed on their 2010 fest coverage, the press conference ran according to tradition. The agencies may be forced to suspend their coverage of the festival next month if they can't reach an agreement with fest organizers, who are honoring video exclusivity contracts with festival media sponsors Canal Plus and Orange. "The Festival is trying to act as a go-between and defend the interests of the agencies to our partners," Fremaux said, addressing the issue after announcing the lineup.

He added: "We will do everything possible so that the boycott doesn't exist by the time the Festival de Cannes starts. The Festival is not trying to make a public event private and prevent the public from accessing the event. We're going to try to do everything possible to find a solution."

The Festival de Cannes runs May 12-23 in Cannes.

IN COMPETITION

"Another Year," U.K., Mike Leigh

"Biutiful," Spain-Mexico, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

"Burnt by the Sun 2," Germany-France-Russia, Nikita Mikhalkov

"Certified Copy," France-Italy-Iran, Abbas Kiarostami

"Fair Game," U.S., Doug Liman

"Hors-la-loi," France-Belgium-Algeria, Rachid Bouchareb

"The Housemaid," South Korea, Im Sang-soo

"La nostra vita," Italy-France, Daniele Luchetti

"La Princesse de Montpensier," France, Bertrand Tavernier

"Of Gods and Men," France, Xavier Beauvois

"Outrage," Japan, Takeshi Kitano

"Poetry," South Korea, Lee Chang-dong

"A Screaming Man," France-Belgium-Chad, Mahamat-Saleh Haroun

"Tournee," France, Mathieu Amalric

"Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives," Spain-Thailand-Germany-U.K.-France, Apichatpong Weerasethakul

"You, My Joy," Ukraine-Germany, Sergey Loznitsa

UN CERTAIN REGARD

"Adrienn Pal," Hungary-Netherlands-France-Austria, Agnes Kocsis

"Aurora," Romania, Cristi Puiu

"Blue Valentine," U.S., Derek Cianfrance

"Chatroom," U.K., Hideo Nakata

"Chongqing Blues," China, Wang Xiaoshuai

"The City Below," Germany-France, Christoph Hochhausler

"Film Socialisme," Switzerland-France, Jean-Luc Godard

"Ha Ha Ha," South Korea, Hong Sang-soo

"Les Amours imaginaires," Canada, Xavier Dolan

"Life Above All," France, Oliver Schmitz