[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Son Ye-jin to star in new drama with Lee Min-ho

2010012515570086609_1.jpg

Korean actress Son Ye-jin [barunson Entertainment]

Korean actress Son Ye-jin is set to play the female lead role opposite actor Lee Min-ho in a new MBC drama this coming April, Son's agency said on Monday.

Barunson Entertainment announced through a press release that the actress has been cast for the role of Park Gae-in, a furniture designer in her late 20s, in the drama tentatively titled "Personal Taste."

The TV series, to be based on a novel of the same name by Korean writer Lee Se-in, will focus on the story between a woman and man living together, with the woman thinking the man is homosexual.

Son stated, "The reason I chose this role is because this year, I wanted to be a part of a bright and happy drama. I fell in love with the character because she seems confident while lacking in some ways but at the same time charming. Overall, the drama seems light and I feel it will be fun to shoot."

The 28-year-old actress gained popularity in Asia after appearing in TV series "Summer Scent" and was commended for her role in films "The Classic" and "My Wife Got Married", both of which she won awards for Best Actress.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Chon talks about 'Twilight,' acting

201001250060.jpg

With dark patches under his eyes, Justin Chon sunk down into a La-Z boy position at the guest lounge of the Grand Intercontinental Hotel for an afternoon chitchat.

His disposition was more Al Bundy than the hyper-active comic relief Eric Yorkie in the Twilight franchise.

It was also a look all too familiar for anyone who has lived and worked here for a considerable period and all signs pointed towards late night binge drinking.

He was quick to throw that assumption out the window.

"No, man that's not it. I quit drinking a little over a month ago. Drinking and smoking," he said massaging his jaws.

"I think I slept last night with my jaws clenched."

It was the last day of his weeklong visit to Korea during which he made the rounds with some of the biggest talent and entertainment companies to check out what they had on offer for him.

"I'm trying to get a feel for the local industry and what my opportunities are and what I can do here," he said.

"The fact I got to meet with Yu Ji-tae was amazing. He came to a party I was having in Itaewon and, for me, that was like Leonardo DiCaprio showing up. ... He came by to say what's up and I was like what the hell?"

After five years of working in Hollywood, the 29-year-old Orange County native with the boyish charm has become something of a veteran.

He's done everything from network sitcoms, independently produced passion projects, portraying an Asian gangster - an unwritten rite of passage for any young Asian actor in Tinseltown - and being part of the billion-dollar Twilight franchise.

Chon, for the lack of a better word, has become a seasoned pro.

So much so that he's done the unthinkable while meeting and greeting with local entertainment industry big wigs - refuse alcohol.

"Oh hell yeah. Industry people here ask you 'do you wanna get a drink' and it's hard to turn people down," he said.

"You know Koreans here say 'just one shot, just one shot' until you do, so it's been hard. And I think that's been stressing me out. ... They ask you 'really? By choice?' and I tell them 'yeah I want to keep my mind clear.' Like last night I had a dream that I broke my sobriety and I think that's been on my mind since I've been here."

Mid-way into the conversation, a hotel server came by laying out an elaborate apparatus to brew the green tea he had ordered, which clearly fascinated the Korean-American actor.

"Look, it's like a three-step process," he quipped as he began the tea-making process.

For Chon, being in the acting game has been a similar process. 

At the start of his career whatever opportunity that was presented to him was fair game - as long as he notched up credits to boost his acting resume and repertoire.

Through each successive job, he landed meatier roles until he landed his biggest breakthrough in the Twilight franchise.

Now, he has found himself with at least a little bit of clout to filter out what he sees as offensive roles that he says he not only doesn't want to have any part in but also "wished weren't even being made."

"You just have to choose your battles and have to infiltrate from the inside if you do take a role you're not really feeling by making the character your own," he said.

In a role originally meant for a Western actor, the casting directors of the Twilight franchise ultimately went with Chon after his screen test.

"It could have been played really geeky but I chose to give him lots of energy and gave him a little bit of coolness and edge," he said.

"There are ways you can change things without having to be a (jerk) about it, and a lot of the times I don't ask for permission. I'd rather ask for forgiveness. ... That's the beauty of filmmaking - it's a collaborative process. You bring what you got, if they don't like it? Cool, just change it."

These days, auditions for Chon are no longer venues for the panic attacks he said he experienced earlier in his career when The Korea Herald first interviewed him in 2008.

Instead, he says he waltzes into his auditions with confidence to spare. He has even gone on one recently just to sharpen up his skills in the art of tomfoolery.

"One time I auditioned for the remake of Kung Fu knowing that it was not the right role for me," he said.

"At the audition, they wanted us to do a scene from a play and not the dialogue from the script so I was like 'okay, I'm gonna work on doing something different too' and I set off to be in that mode where I was really trying to see through their B.S. Once the audition started I decided last minute I'm going to talk when I feel like talking. So the casting crew said their lines and I was like (staring blankly) and I just started being really weird. I wanted to engage them and wanted them to come to me.

"That's what I did the whole audition. I just talked when I wanted to talk because I knew I wasn't gonna get the role. So as soon as I walk out I could hear through the door, 'WTF was that?' They were really angry. They were like 'what the hell is that guy's problem?'"

"And I really enjoyed that. It was a great time for me because it was really liberating to do what I really wanted to do. At the time I thought they'll probably never call me back and the casting director will never have me in their office ever again but that turned out to be not true. They did have me back - several times."

On whether such eccentric behavior has gotten him notoriety around the casting circle he said "I don't think they've pegged me down as an eccentric, they would just call me an (expletive)."

Though he jokes about his adventures in the cutthroat world of screen tests and auditions, Chon is very serious about his craft.

"I feel I have a wide range, but in America, as a minority starting out, you do a lot of comedy, so people haven't been able to see the dramatic side of me. So if I were to meet a Korean director I would say I'm a legitimate actor," he said.

"But at the same time, those comedic roles have allowed me to get noticed in Korea in the first place, so I can't complain much.

"I'd like to work with anyone who's interesting."

His boyish looks have also hurt his chances in landing dramatic roles in the past and in the present.

"In the states I'll audition for very dark roles and I would get far enough where it comes down to 2 or 3 people but then I don't get it because they say I look so young and they don't want to take a chance," he said.

"If Bong Joon-ho called and said I don't think you're right for this I'd ask him to audition me and I would say give me a shot and let's do a test screening so I can show you and prove to you.

"It's a tough industry and no one's going to hand you anything, especially when there's someone right there in line ready to take it from you. You've gotta have some hustle in you."

As for the wild and strange world of film fandom of the Twilight Saga, Chon has had his fair share of run-ins and experiences with overzealous fanatics.

"I get a lot of fan mail. One time someone bought me a star saying, this star's for you," he said.

"A certificate saying this star is yours and they bought some weird stuff. It was from a mom. ... There are a lot of moms who are fans. ... When I was filming the first Twilight, I was finished with a scene and walking back to my trailer and this group of four ladies come over and says 'hey come here' and would hand me this card whispering 'call me' and I flip the card over and it says 'Twilight moms.'"

Asked for amusing on-set stories involving the rest of the cast and crew, Chon remained mostly mum about talking about his co-stars.

"The schedule is so tight we're just there to get it done and work. At the end of the day we're just tired and wanna go to sleep," he said.

"Kristen and Robert's heads didn't really get big after the huge success of the first film. It's just that there are so many more people watching your every move so they have to be more careful. They just can't go anywhere anymore so there were those kinds of differences, but the biggest difference was that they were more selective of who they hung out with."

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

01-25-2010

TV Program Uploading Partially Legalized

Korea has taken the initiative in dealing with online copyright problems by legalizing the uploading of TV programs to the Internet under certain conditions.

Pandora TV, the nation's top-tier video-sharing site operator, said Monday that it had reached an agreement under which Web users can upload short video clips from SBS, one of the major terrestrial broadcasters here, without prior permission.

"As long as the length of video footage is not longer than three minutes, anybody will be allowed to upload them onto Pandora TV's Web site," CEO Kim Kyung-ik said.

"We will strive to reach similar contracts with other major broadcasters here in the not-so-distant future while attempting to extend the length of the free-to-upload video clips," he said.

Under the agreement, Internet users are able to upload edited or original SBS programs to Pandora this year. The uploaded contents are also allowed to be streamed on other community sites.

Most programs including soap operas, entertainment and sports are applicable to the contract with the exception of news.

In return for the unprecedented concession, advertising income from the programs uploaded to Pandora would be shared by SBS and Pandora, which currently shows commercials both at the start and end of its video files.

The system is to some extent similar to the content identification offered by Youtube, which lets copyright holders check whether user-uploaded videos are partial or not.

On identifying their own contents uploaded without permission, the copyright holders have two options - they can ask Youtube to block them or they can monetize them via commercials on the video clips.

Even though it hardly happens, uploading copyrighted videos or audios onto Youtube without getting prior approval might be subject to legal action since it is basically unlawful in most cases.

In comparison, Pandora has legalized the uploading of short video clips from SBS.

"This offers a win-win solution in grappling with the long-lasting copyright issues for both broadcasters and end users," Kim said.

Experts feel the new scheme will work.

"The Pandora TV-SBS contract heralds the start of a new era when TV programs are freely distributed through the Internet without having to worry about copyright," said a Seoul analyst who asked not to be named.

"Broadcasters have not been happy with the idea up until now. But they should learn that they might earn bigger money by being less stringent on copyrights, not the other way around," he said.

Credits : Kim Tae-gyu , Staff Reporter (voc200@koreatimes.co.kr) 

Source : The Korea Times

Actress Hwang Jung-eum diagnosed with influenza flu

2010012612592570455_1.jpg

Korean actress Hwang Jung-eum [MBC]

Singer-turned-actress Hwang Jung-eum of hit MBC sitcom "High Kick 2" has been diagnosed with the H1N1 influenza virus, according to her agency Core Contents Media on Tuesday.

Hwang had recently been examined for the dreaded flu strain after having visited the hospital with a high fever and other symptoms of a cold, as well as receiving a vaccination shot and medicine as a precautionary measure. The hospital confirmed today, however, that the 25-year-old actress had picked up the virus.

Core Contents went onto explain that Hwang has been hospitalized with doctors advising her to halt all activities for a week while she receives medial care.

Hwang is the latest in a string of celebrities who had come down with the flu starting early September last year.

She debuted as a singer in 2002 with the now-disbanded girl group Sugar and has been regaining popularity after appearing in MBC reality show "We are Married" last year with her boyfriend Kim Yong-joon.

01-26-2010

Celeb Couple Seeks to Visit Haiti 

100126_p16_celeb.jpg

Top actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Ko So-young want to visit quake-stricken Haiti to take part in volunteer efforts, their aides said.

Jang is currently a goodwill ambassador for the World Food Program (WFP), a branch of the United Nations, and Ko is a UNICEF envoy.

"I know Jang has plans to visit Haiti and that Ko is also considering going with him in support of his actions," an aide was quoted as saying by the Sports Hankook daily. "But it's uncertain whether it will be before or after their wedding."

They reportedly plan to tie the knot around May.

Jang is recovering from a recent knee surgery. He sustained the injury in 2003 while making the movie ``Taegeukgi.''

The couple is seeking to visit Haiti as they have set a goal of focusing more on volunteer activities as one of their "couple projects."

"Last June, Ko took part in an international anti-AIDS campaign as a UNICEF envoy. The couple plans to actively take part in volunteer programs. Volunteering is one of the important projects of their marriage," another aide said.

Jang has already donated 100 million won for the quake victims in Haiti. Right after being discharged from the hospital following the surgery, Jang recorded a video calling for people to help Haitians through WFP programs.

Aides said that whether Jang's visit to Haiti will materialize depends on the pace of his recovery from surgery.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

Source : The Korea Times

January 27, 2010

Shooting for stardom in ‘Chicago’

26210909.jpg

The latest Korean production of the prohibition-era musical returns to Seoul

From left, Singer In Soon-i, singer Ock Juhyun and actress Choi Jung-won are the leading ladies in this year’s Korean production of‘Chicago.’Provided by Seensee Company

People may know “Chicago” as a movie from 2002 with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger, but it has been around for a long time.

The musical, which is itself based on a 1927 play by the same name, was first produced on Broadway in 1975 and has since had a long history of sold-out performances around the world. It first made its way to Korea in 2000.

The musical, which is set in prohibition-era Chicago, is about two aspiring singers, veteran vaudeville girl Velma Kelly and rising star Roxie Hart, who are sent to jail for two separate murders. They compete for the attention of the press to win their freedom and the spotlight.

The latest Korean production of the musical, which opened earlier this month, is drawing attention not only for its now infamous story, but also for its star lineup, which includes acclaimed Korean musical actress Choi Jung-won and two renowned female singers, In Soon-i and Ock Ju-hyun.

Choi and In, who alternate in the role of Velma, and Ock, who plays Roxie, revealed what it’s like to be the leading ladies of Chicago in a recent interview with the JoongAng Daily.

“Velma is the talk of the town until Roxie takes all of her popularity away,” In said. “The character is in eight scenes, taking on a different personality in each one. That was quite difficult for me to do.”

The musical is familiar territory for In and Choi, who both starred in the first Korean production of the musical.

“I played Roxie in 2000, and I am very fortunate to have been able to perform both characters, who are equally attractive in their own way,” Choi said. “And I was very excited when the choreographer told me that I embodied the spirit of Velma.”

In is one of Korea’s most celebrated singers. She made her debut as a member of the Hee Sisters in 1978 and released a total of 19 albums. It is her natural charisma, which has been with her since her days as a Hee Sister, that has helped her make a smooth transition onto the musical stage.

“Many people tell me that the character bears my signature,” the singer-turned-actress said. “If I had been doing musicals for over 20 years like Choi, things may have been different, but I think I do a good job of putting my charm into it.”

She also believes she is the right person for the role.

“Velma is a character that shouldn’t be played by someone that is younger than me,” In said. “She has a certain sophistication in her sexiness that can’t be portrayed at a younger age. I think I can relate to that sexiness.”

The other leading lady in the cast is Ock Ju-hyun, who plays the sassy character of Roxie. A former member of the now disbanded female idol group Fin.K.L, Ock went solo and then landed a part in the Korean production of “Aida” in 2005, which signaled the start of her career as a musical theater actress. She has since performed in works like “Cats” and “42nd Street,” and says that she can’t forget the high she gets when she is performing.

“I have days when I’m down, but when I’m on stage it just gets me excited,” the 30-year-old said. “Especially with such a goofy character like Roxie, I stay perky and playful off and on stage.”

Ock first played the role of Roxie in 2007, and she has participated in subsequent productions of the musical in Korea every year since then. Although her role was previously shared by two actresses, this year she is the only Roxie on the stage.

After the final curtain call for this year’s production of the musical in Korea, the three actresses will go on to perform in projects in their respective fields.

In, who was invited to sing at Carnegie Hall in 1999, will perform there again on Feb. 5, ending her run in Chicago on Jan. 31 to prepare for the concert.

Choi is set to star in the Korean production of “Kiss Me Kate” in July with Nam Kyung-ju, who plays the part of the sleazy lawyer Billy Flynn in Chicago.

Ock is planning to release a solo album in late summer or early fall.

Chicago will run until Feb. 28 at the Seongnam Art Center Opera House. Tickets range from 40,000 won ($35) to 110,000 won. For more information, visit www.musicalchicago.co.kr.

Credits : Hannah Kim Contributing writer [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

01-26-2010

'Project Runway Korea' Season 2 Launches

100126_p14_project.jpg

Supermodel Lee So-ra, the host of "Project Runway Korea'' season 2, speaks to

reporters during a press conference Monday. The hit fashion reality show will

begin airing Jan. 30 at midnight on On Style. / Courtesy of On Media

Fashion design buffs will get to watch another season of the hit reality show ``Project Runway Korea'' this month on cable channel On Style.

The first season of the Korean version of the American program wrapped up last year with the winner Lee Woo-kyung winning 50 million won, a sedan and a spread in fashion magazine ELLE. The competition will continue with more challenging missions, distinctive contestants and catchy designs. The program joined hands with the Seoul Metropolitan Government for the 11-episode season, giving it an overall boost in size and content.

``I was surprised to see such talented contestants during the first season. It actually made me realize how talented we Koreans are when it comes to making things with our hands,'' supermodel and host Lee So-ra said during a press conference in Myeong-dong, Seoul, Monday.

``When we started auditioning, I realized that there were many people who were preparing just for this show. There were designers who studied specific things to make it to the show and I was very touched.''

Every week, contestants are given a fashion mission. After the judges' evaluation, one of them is named the winner of the challenge, while another is out of the competition. The final three contestants will be given three months to prepare their collection and compete for one last time at Seoul Fashion Week this spring.

Lee will join fellow judges from the previous season once again ― Seokwon Andy Kim, designer and head of ANDY & DEBB, and Shin Yoo-jin, editor-in-chief of ELLE Korea. Hongik University professor Kan Ho-sup will appear as the designers' mentor this year as well.

The second season will feature a number of changes, from the number of contestants, the prizes and special guests. Last year, there were 14 talented designers who competed for the 50 million won prize. This year, the show welcomes 15 contestants vying for a 70 million won prize, plus the sedan and fashion spread.

Watching guest judges will also be a treat, for a number of dazzling stars will pay the show a visit, including Austin Scarlett, a contestant of the first season of Project Runway in the U.S., singers Seo In-young, Tiger JK and actress Lee Hae-young.

``The guest judges are all so special in terms of fashion, so it will be very interesting to watch them evaluate the designs,'' Lee said.

On Style showed highlights of the first episode during the press conference. The program started by showing the busy streets of Seoul, followed by short interviews of the 15 contestants looking nervous but ready. This year's lineup promises to be as colorful as last year's, and includes students, freelance designers and even a 37-year-old who has been running her own boutique in Jinju, South Gyeongsang Province, for 18 years.

The first mission was for the contestants to create their own look by using vintage clothes brought from around the world, and tension instantly found its way to the sewing room as the aspiring designers started their first project.

``We had no information about the contestants' backgrounds, but when we made our decision, eight out of 15 had studied abroad. I have to admit that these designers had a different way of approaching fashion, and I think this will be a great opportunity for students studying fashion here to learn more,'' Lee explained.

The first season of ``Project Runway Korea'' made headlines last year for being the first remake based entirely on the original. The program's international distributor, FremantleMedia, made sure the Korean version looked the same as the original, from the camera angles and lighting to the number of cameras. The local version proved to be a huge hit, remaining on top for 11 consecutive weeks in viewer ratings.

``Project Runway Korea'' season 2 will start Jan. 30 at midnight on On Style.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

[PREVIEW]

Reality show "Project Runway Korea 2"

2010012612472162216_1.jpg

Lee So-ra, the host of "Project Runway Korea 2", at the show's press conference [On Style]

Welcome to the second runway

Viewers applaud progressive TV programs but turn their backs on stale shows. The first season of "Project Runway Korea", which made a refreshing attempt by purchasing the original format from the U.S. TV show and adding a Korean flavor to it, topped cable TV ratings during its run. Now the show's second season is set to premiere January 30 at midnight. While host Lee So-ra, judges Kim Seok-won and Shin Yoo-jin and design mentor Kan Ho-sup will remain in the show, new designs will be offered by the 15 new contestants, who were selected through a preliminary screening.

2010012612472162216_2.jpg

The contestants of "Project Runway Korea 2" [On Style]

Like the previous cycle, the contestants of "Project Runway Korea 2" are mostly composed of people who have studied overseas. Many graduates from prestigious fashion schools from around the world -- including Central Saint Martins in the U.K., Parsons Design School in the U.S., Antwerp Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Belgium, Istituto Marangoni in Italy and Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la couture Parisienne in Paris -- were selected for the second season. The contestants have diverse backgrounds -- some of them have worked at famous fashion houses while others have majored in archaeology, music composition and French literature. "With the success of the first season, there were a lot of 'prepared' contestants for this season -- some of them even studied for the show," said the show's host Lee So-ra at the press conference held Monday. "I took part in the selection process starting with the preliminary screening phase and I can guarantee you that the contestants are very talented because skill accounted for 90 percent of the evaluation criteria." She also offered another reason, besides the competition, that viewers should tune in. "They [contestants] know how to style themselves. You will be entertained just by watching their own fashion styles in the show."

"Project Runway Korea 2", which had been recruiting participants since last August, went into shoot starting November and has currently completed about 90 percent of the production. The show's format remains the same -- after 10 design challenges, three finalists will unveil their collection at the Seoul Fashion Week in the spring where the final winner will be chosen. The winner will receive KRW 70 million won in prize money, a compact car and be featured in a photo spread in a noted fashion magazine. Who will take the glorious title of being the most progressive fashion designer? Will the show receive the viewers' applause calling for another season? The results will be confirmed during the new season and its "true reality" happenings.

Reporter : Yoon Hee-Seong nine@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

2010/01/27

Film reporters name 'Mother' best movie of 2009

SEOUL, Jan. 27 (Yonhap) -- The Korea Film Reporters Association selected Bong Joon-ho's "Mother," a thriller revolving around a murder case and one woman's obsessive maternal love, as the best picture of 2009 during a meeting held in Seoul on Wednesday.

The association also named Kim Hye-ja, who plays the lead role in the film, for the Best Actress award. Mother, the fourth feature by Bong, is set to be released throughout Asia and Europe early this year.

20100127192409_bodyfile.jpg

The reporters' association, launched last year, selected the seven most outstanding movies, actors and directors of the year in its inaugural ceremony with voting by 54 film reporters from 31 news organizations.

Song Gang-ho, who played a Catholic priest-turned-vampire in Park Chan-wook's "Thirst," won the Best Actor award, while the Discovery award for an outstanding debut went to Yang Ik-joon, director of the internationally acclaimed "Breathless."

Jeong Seung-hye, the late head of Achim Pictures who died of cancer last year, posthumously received the Filmmaker of the Year award. Jeong's last horror picture "Faith" drew critical acclaim for its sensitive juxtaposition of shamanism and Christianity in Korea.

Chae Yun-hee, chief of All That Cinema, took the Publicity award, while Lee Jae-seong, a reporter with the Hankyoreh newspaper who exposed CJ Entertainment's market monopoly, was chosen by a jury of five movie industry leaders as outstanding reporter of the year.

Credits : hkim@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News

Korean film "The Naked Kitchen" invited to Berlin film fest

2010012708370054336_1.jpg

Movie poster of "The Naked Kitchen" [soo Film]

Korean film "The Naked Kitchen" has been invited to the 60th Berlin International Film Festival, according the movie's producer Soo Film on Wednesday.

"Kitchen" will be shown in the Culinary Cinema section -- a non-competitive category which recognizes films revolving around the themes of food and love, nature and the environment -- at the fest on February 18, Soo explained in a press release.

The film, helmed by director Hong Ji-young, portrays the love triangle which occurs in a restaurant kitchen between characters played by actors Shin Min-ah, Joo Ji-hoon and Kim Tae-woo.

Hong had written the film adaptation of "Antique," a novel by Japanese cartoonist Fumi Yoshinaga, which had also shown at the same category in Berlin last year.

The festival, which started in 1950, is considered one of the most prestigious film events in Europe, alongside Cannes, Venice and Rotterdam. The fest will be held from February 11 to 21 this year.

Jan. 27, 2010

Korea's 'Café Noir' Invited to Rotterdam Film Fest

2010012700670_0.jpg

Moon Jung-hee

The film "Café Noir" by critic-turned-director Jung Sung-il and starring Moon Jung-hee has been invited to the Bright Future section of the 39th annual International Rotterdam Film Festival in the Dutch city.

Moon's agency said it is the actress' second film to be invited to Rotterdam, the first being "Falling Season" in 2002.

The festival is one of the leading non-competition film festivals dedicated to introducing new directors and films to the global industry and serving as a global movie marketplace. But it also has a competitive element with the VPRO Tiger Awards Competition.

Several Korean films have won Tigers, such as "The Day a Pig Fell Into the Well" by Hong Sang-soo in 1997, "Jealousy is My Name" by Park Chan-ok in 2003, and "Breathless" by Yang Ik-june in 2009.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Korean film "Le Grand Chef 2" to open in U.S.

2010012714053083621_1.jpg

Movie poster for "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" [iROOM Pictures]

Korean film "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" -- which opens in Korea tomorrow -- will also be released in theaters throughout the United States next month, according to the movie's producer IROOM Pictures on Wednesday.

IROOM Pictures explained that the film will open February 12 at AMC theaters in 20 major U.S. cities including New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Los Angeles. AMC, one of the largest movie theater chains in the country, is expected to show the Korean culinary flick on 25 to 30 of its movie screens.

"We are currently in the final stages of negotiating on the total number of screens the movie will show on," an official at IROOM was quoted as saying. He explained that although many Korean pics have opened in U.S. theaters, this will be the first time that a Korean film will show in the two countries at the same time.

The film's overseas release will be managed by JS Media & Entertainment, a firm which specializes in distributing Korean films in the U.S. and has previously released documentary film "The Calling" and 2009 summer blockbuster "Haeundae".

"Kimchi Battle", a prequel to the hit 2007 film "Le Grand Chef", is based on a popular comic series by Korean artist Huh Young-man. The movie stars Korean actors Jin Goo and Kim Jung-eun as two rivaling chefs, participating in a kimchi competition which purports to globalize the Korean dish.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

2010-01-27

Kim Suna Holds First Fan Meeting in Japan and Hints at Film Role

Actress Kim Suna held the ceremony for her first Japanese fan meeting on January 25. She also participated in various programs such as a talk show, piano performances, and a gift segment at the "Premium Event 2010 with Kim Suna" at the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shijuku, Tokyo on the same evening.

7270_803_l.jpg

▲ Actress Kim Suna waves her hand at the press interview before her first official Japanese fan meeting at Keio Plaza Hotel in Shijuku in Tokyo, Japan on January 25th.

She was chosen as the favorite Korean actress in Japan according to a survey conducted by LaLa TV, a Japanese Cable Channel. Kim revealed at the meeting that she drank alcohol before shooting her last drama for a more vivid portrayal, and also expressed her happiness when she heard that fans gained self-confidence after watching "My Lovely Sam Soon," which has been airing on Fuji TV in Japan. When she was asked about her next project, she said, "It will be a movie, but further details are still a secret."

Kim showed off her piano renditions of four songs, including two encores, and introduced her other performances in "S Diary" (movie, 2004) and "Sitihol" (TV drama, 2009). Also, she said that she could no longer lift heavy objects since she was injured during the filming of "Every Night" (TV drama, 2008).

She also revealed she barely wears makeup in everyday life, and that her role in Sitihol was the first time that she had put on makeup on her eyebrows.

When she was asked about any potential plans to appear in a Japanese TV drama or movie, she said that she could not do it currently due to her tight schedule, despite the suggestions of casting directors. She expressed that she would like to have a chance to act with her favorite Japanese actor, Takenouchi Yutaka, and actress, Miho Nakayama, in the future.

Source : KBS GLOBAL

01-27-2010

Jung Il-woo to Make His Stage Debut

100127_p30_jung(1).jpg

Actor Jung Il-woo will make his

stage debut in a revival perform-

ance of the play "Beautiful Sun-

day," which will be staged from

Feb. 4 to March 28 at Hanyang

Repertory Theater in Daehangno,

central Seoul. / Courtesy of

Hanyang Repertory Theater

Actor Jung Il-woo will make his stage debut in a revival of the play ``Beautiful Sunday'' written by Japanese playwright Mayumi Nakatani.

The play touches upon homosexuality through the daily routines of three characters ― a gay couple and a woman. But the drama highlights love, comfort and warm-hearted emotions among modern youngsters rather than focusing on homosexuality itself. The characters fight against social bias and pursue their own love and show how to develop human relations.

``I feel a little bit nervous and at the same time excited because it's my first appearance on stage. Stage art has a different character than television dramas and films. I am looking forward to meeting my fans face to face in the theater,'' Jung said in a statement.

``I have strived to show better acting in every new work. I think I have to build more acting experience and study more. Learning is my lifelong companion while I am acting,'' he said.

Jung rose to stardom following his debut in the sitcom ``High Kick'' in which he appeared as a troublemaking teenager in 2006. Since then, he has widened his acting horizons from ``Iljimae Returns,'' the epic drama, to the omnibus film, ``My Love.''

The play was first staged in 2000 in Tokyo and received rave reviews from both critics and the audience for its fresh touch on ordinary people in a comical way through the unusual subject.

Nakatani is renowned for the popular Japanese television drama ``Water Boys'' and other stage work, mostly romantic comedies.

The play will be on stage from Feb. 4 to March 28 at Hanyang Repertory Theater in Daehangno, central Seoul. Tickets cost from 35,000 won for adults and 15,000 won for students. For more information, call (02) 3672-8070.

Credits : Chung Ah-young, Staff Reporter (chungay@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

January 28, 2010

Actor comes out in new role

‘I want Jun-seok to be more of a guy-next-door type, a bright young man who anyone can see as charming and friendly.’

27204859.jpg

Jeong Il-woo

For a handsome young actor who has made his name playing pretty-boy roles, taking on the role of a gay man who is HIV-positive may not seem like a safe choice, especially in a nation where homosexuality is still regarded as a taboo subject. But with his new role in the play “Beautiful Sunday,” which begins its run early next month, actor Jeong Il-woo wants to show that he is more than a just pretty face.

Based on the play by Japanese playwright Nakatani Mayumi, Beautiful Sunday was first staged in Korea in 2006 and has been presented more than 450 times since then.

It takes place on a Sunday, when a heartbroken female stranger breaks into the apartment of a gay couple. It received rave reviews from critics, who applauded it for showing that there are many types of love between humans, whether heterosexual or homosexual.

Jeong plays Jun-seok, a gay art student in love with Jeong-jin, who is the manager of a family restaurant.

While the role is very different from the characters Jeong has played in the past, he was eager to give it a try. And unlike other celebrities who move from film to theater to polish their skills or advance their careers, Jeong thinks of this as a chance to mature.

“In some ways, doing theater is harder than doing a television drama or a film, but my inner adventurer pushed me to grab this chance,” Jeong said in a recent e-mail interview with the JoongAng Daily.

Many actors, whether they are seasoned or not, find it daunting to do a play such as this one, which has performances six days a week and runs for more than a month. Celebrities who are not used to the rigors of a long-running show will often ask to be double cast when they sign on for a theatrical role. The role of Jeong-jin, for example, is played by veteran theater actors Jang Jun-hwi and Lee Sang-hong, who alternate in the role. Jeong, however, is the only one playing Jun-seok.

For Jeong, it was not the hectic performance schedule that scared him, but the pressure of playing a gay man. Still, he says he is ready for the challenge and is eager to make the character his own.

“‘Philadelphia’ was the most impressive film [about homosexuality] for me, but the gay character in the film is portrayed as dark and gloomy,” Jeong said. “I want Jun-seok to be more of a guy-next-door type, a bright young man who anyone can see as charming and friendly.”

Jeong soared to stardom in 2006 when he landed the role of Yun-ho in the TV sitcom “High Kick!” Since then, he has had a diverse range of roles.

One thing Jeong says he misses about his old schedule is his privacy.

“It’s a shame that I have a limited amount of freedom, but I know what I’m doing now, I can say my life is good,” he said.

Beautiful Sunday opens on Feb. 4 for an open run. Performances are Tuesdays to Fridays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays at 3 and 7 p.m. There are no performances on Feb. 16 and March 2. For more information, call 1544-1555 or go to www.interpark.com.

Credits : Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

Korean TV series "Strike Love" to air in Japan

2010012808493376655_1.jpg

The cast of TV series "Strike Love" [Green City Pictures]

MBC's baseball drama "Strike Love" is set to premiere in Japan in March, according to the show's producer Green City Pictures Inc. on Thursday.

The sports drama -- which originally aired in Korea in May 2009 -- will be broadcast on Fuji TV-One starting March 18 and on Fuji TV-Two a week later, Green City announced in a press release.

"It is our differentiated strategy to air the show on two channels at almost the same time," an official at Green City was quoted as saying. "We plan to sequentially release the series through the Internet, media broadcasts as well as DVDs."

Organizers have also scheduled a press conference and promotional event for the TV series in Tokyo and Osaka in March.

As all of the scenes in the original "Strike" were entirely shot on location, producers have added a local flavor to the Japanese version by filming at famous landmarks such as Lake Haruna in Takasaki.

"Strike" was based on a popular comic series by noted Korean artist Lee Hyun-sae. Korean actors Yoon Tae-young and Park Sung-min star as two baseball players who are in love with the same girl, played by actress Kim Min-jung.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Korean box office hits record in 2009

2010012809034608862_1.jpg

Film "Haeundae" (left) and "Take Off" [CJ Entertainment/KM Culture]

The Korean box office reached a new record in 2009 with ticket sales hitting an all-time high, according to data by the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

The KOFIC's annual report on the local film industry released Monday, reported that Korean moviegoers paid out approximately KRW 1.928 trillion for theater tickets last year. The sales total is about a 11.6 percent jump from the previous year and surpasses the previous record of KRW 991.8 billion won set in 2007.

Admissions clocked in at over 156.79 million, up four percent year-on-year and ranking second behind the record set in 2007. The surge in sales despite the declined number of moviegoers was attributed to increases in ticket prices, raised by most theaters by KRW 500 to 1,000 starting June last year.

Korean films turned around their presence on the domestic box office last year, increasing their market share from 42.1 percent in 2008 to 48.8 percent in 2009 while U.S. films saw their market share drop from 48.8 percent to 43.9 percent.

The KOFIC cited the strong performance of Korean films to blockbusters "Haeundae" and "Take Off" which together increased admissions by about 20 percent and ticket sales by nearly 30 percent year-on-year.

Yoon Je-kyu's disaster pic "Haeundae" hauled in over KRW 81 billion with about 11.3 million viewers, becoming the first film in three years to breach the 10 million mark in admissions. Sports drama "Take Off" also raked in a handsome sum, grossing KRW 60 billion with nearly 8.4 million admissions.

KOFIC predicted that in 2010, the Korean film industry will take heated interest in the production of digital 3D films due to the impact of Hollywood pic "Avatar." The council also expected a wider range of movies to come to birth with moviegoers taste broadening as proved with the success of indie film "Old Partner" last year.

The film had started by showing on only seven screens but ended up attracting close to three million viewers, the highest figure for a documentary. The story, about an old farmer couple and their lifelong friendship with a 40-year-old ox, has been shown at numerous film festivals throughout the world and is preparing for release overseas.

Reporter : Lynn Kim (lynn2878@asiae.co.kr)

Editor : Jessica Kim (jesskim@asiae.co.kr)

<ⓒ10All rights reserved>

'Grand Chef' sequel whets appetite but lacks meat

201001280003.jpg

It was all there right on the screen - the mouth watering close-ups of fresh, crisp leafy cabbages marinating in all sorts of spices with the hands of chefs, covered in red chili sauce, delicately tearing strips of their masterpieces.

And there were all the right ingredients for a feast of a film, but it was clear the team behind "Le Grand Chef, Kimchi Battle," was far more concerned about visual pageantry than storytelling.

The film does a wondrous job promoting Korea's iconic side dish, whetting the appetites of critics during the advanced screening, but unfortunately the plot falls way short of the mark.

And despite the marketing team behind the film boasting that over 100 types of kimchi are shown throughout the film, there was maybe less than half that amount, which is still quite a lot.

Based on the bestselling comic of the same name, the second installment has master chef Jang-eun (Kim Jung-eun) and nomadic produce merchant Sung-chan (Jin Gu) competing against each other in a national kimchi contest - a cross between a barbeque cook-off and an Iron Chef bout.

Not much of the passion author and illustrator Hur Young-man splashed onto the pages of his original comic strip is present on screen.

Hur reportedly traveled all over the country to learn everything there was to know about kimchi, its history, regional characteristics, and processes - from marinating to fermentation - before his serial was published.

The film does make a valiant effort to retain that passion on screen but it is marred by a cliched storyline and a banal attempt at tragedy, with a pointless subplot involving an old woman and her estranged son later in the second act.

At its core, the film is about preserving traditional cuisine and denouncing the current trend of fusion-style Korean dishes.

The film suggests it is definitely meant to be traditional versus contemporary.

The story revolves under the roof of a traditional Korean restaurant and "hanok" where the two leading characters were raised.

Jang-eun's mother Soo-hyang - played with quiet gravitas by Lee Bo-hee - also raised Sung-chan as a young orphan as if he was one of her own.

But in a cruel twist of fate, Jang-eun has grown to revile her own mother for bringing her up in a house she was conceived illegitimately as a "bastard child" of one of her clients during her days working as a geisha, while Sung-chan has remained loyal by her side.

Both have become masters in the art of Korean cuisine, except Sung-chan has been quite settled and content on living a quiet life selling produce off the back of his Bongo truck and giving nutritional advice to neighborhood "ajumma," or married women.

In stark contrast, Jang-eun has become a cold-hearted world renowned chef that commands the utmost respect from her peers.

She has turned into something of a culinary Joan d'Arc.

Full of contempt for the house and restaurant she was raised in, Jang-eun offers to buy the property and destroy it to erase the memories of her past.

Sung-chan, however, is against it, as it was also the restaurant that has served so many memories to countless regular customers and their families due to their mother's mastery of traditional Korean cuisine.

So they make a wager that the winner of the national kimchi contest will decide upon the fate of "Chunyanggak," the name of the restaurant and their childhood home.

Once the competition begins, Jang-eun and Sung-chan exhibit two completely different culinary styles.

Jang-eun's preference to infusing intercontinental influences on Korean cuisine is opposite to Sung-chan's grassroots method of creating his dishes.

These scenes in a sense are an appropriate reference and critique to fusion cooking of recent times.

So many of Korea's promising chefs have incorporated influences from other cuisines that the essence of indigenous dishes have been lost in the process.

Just as Jang-eun is ashamed of her past, it seems Korean chefs are ashamed of using simply local ingredients and traditional methods to create their dishes.

Whether or not the filmmakers intended such analysis is another question, because with two such engaging personalities, it is unfortunate they had to be part of a generic storyline.

Otherwise, the outcome of the film could have been engrossing and emotionally stirring.

Perhaps the filmmakers went with a formulaic plot to gel well with the film's theme of preserving the ways of the past because these types of melodramas have come to define the dramatic arts of this country.

Toward the climax of the film, Sung-chan states that judging food all boils down to whether it reminds the judges of their mother's cooking and that a combination of nostalgic memories and the skill of the chef determines which is better among a heap of masterfully created dishes.

Maybe this philosophy applies to the film's familiar plot as well in trying to remind viewers of popular television dramas with similar storylines of the past - especially during the 80s and 90s when serials aimed at pulling heartstrings were all the rage.

Regardless of whether that was the intention, a collection of cliche-riddled moments and cartoonish characterizations stifle the film from being anything other than a puff-piece to promote kimchi to all of Asia.

No doubt, the first thing producers were thinking was selling the distribution rights to the film all across the region, when they should have focused on putting together decent script.

The film has come at an appropriate time too as the current administration is really pushing to promote Korean cuisine on a global scale.

And with the Visit Korea Years having kick-started this year, it seems everything's all about promoting all things Korea.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Film journalists pick Song Kang-ho, Kim Hye-ja top actors

2010012815451319560_1.jpg

Poster for film "Thirst" [CJ Entertainment]

Song Kang-ho and Kim Hye-ja have been recognized last year's top film actors by Korean film journalists.

The Korea Film Reporters Association (KOFRA) held the 1st Korean Film Award on Wednesday, naming Song best actor for his role in film "Thirst" and Kim as best actress for her role in "Mother."

Song, 43, is considered one of Korea's most successful actors who has starred in a handful of hit films including "Memories of Murder", "The Host" and "Thirst", which won the Jury Prize at Cannes earlier last year.

Kim, 68, is a veteran actress who has received more than a few appraisals for her performance in "Mother" helmed by director Bong Joon-ho. The pic also took the prize for best picture at the event last night.

Other awards were handed to director Yang Ik-joon for "Breathless" and the ceremony also honored the late Jung Seung-hye, former chief of movie production company Achim. She was well-known for producing hit movies "King and the Clown" and "Radiostar".

KOFRA, established last February, is composed of 31 different media outlets including daily newspapers, news agencies, economic magazines, sports newspapers and broadcasting companies. A total of 54 film reporters participated in the vote for the awards ceremony.

Song Kang-ho receives KOFRA best actor award

2010012814525529946_1.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho [Park Sung-ki/ Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Song Kang-ho receives the award for best actor at the 1st Korean Film Award hosted by the Korea Film Reporters Association (KOFRA) held at the Press Center in Seoul, South Korea on January 27, 2010.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Kim Yun-jin sets up entertainment firm

2010011323280895442_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin has set up her own talenthouse called Zion Entertainment.

Zion announced in a press release that the agency, established by Kim, will work in affiliation with William Morris Endeavor Entertainment (WME Entertainment), maintaining a system similar to its U.S. counterpart.

A representative from Zion explained, "The company will be run in the form of a U.S. agency, eliminating the contract-based wage system and separating the role of the agent, management team and promoters."

Zion and WME will also work together in searching and training new talent.

Kim, who rose to fame after starring in 1999 hit film "Shiri," has been a cast member of the Emmy-winning U.S. TV series "Lost" since 2004. Her new film "Harmony" will open in theaters on Thursday.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

2010/01/28

Court says singer Rain not responsible for canceled U.S. concerts

SEOUL, Jan. 28 (Yonhap) -- A Seoul court ruled Thursday that South Korean pop singer Rain and his former management agency JYP Entertainment were not responsible for canceled concerts in the United States.

South Korean concert organizer Wellmade STARM had filed a suit against Rain and JYP seeking 4.57 billion won (US$3.96 million) in compensation for 16 canceled performances out of a scheduled 35 during his U.S. tour between 2006 and 2007.

STARM, which paid 10 billion won in advance for performance fees and copyright commission, claimed the concerts were called off because JYP did not disclose the fact that the Korean singer was sued by an American firm over his stage name.

In February 2007, the singer and JYP were sued over copyright infringement on the use of the name "Rain" by U.S. recording firm Rain Corporation. The company, which worked with an American band also called "Rain," demanded the South Korean singer drop the English translation of his name in the U.S. The Nevada District Court later dismissed the case, ruling there was no evidence that Rain Corporation suffered actual damage.

"The cancellation of concerts in the United States did not result from Rain's copyright infringement suit," the Seoul Central District Court said in its ruling, noting it was caused by contract problems between the singer, a U.S. company and a Hawaii-based promotion firm's shoddy preparation.

The court also said there was an exemption clause in the contract that gives Rain and his agency immunity from responsibility for disputes with a third party.

In a separate case, Rain and his former agency were sued by a U.S.-based entertainment firm over canceled concerts in Honolulu in 2007. The two parties later reached an agreement after a three month legal dispute.

The 27-year-old singer and actor, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is one of the most popular male celebrities in Korea and is also widely known across Asia. He starred in the Hollywood blockbuster "Ninja Assassin" late last year.

Credits : Kim Eun-jung (ejkim@yna.co.kr)

2010/01/28

S. Korea to offer hit drama free to 81 countries

SEOUL, Jan. 28 (Yonhap) -- A government agency in charge of international cultural exchanges said Thursday that it will offer the hit drama "Brilliant Legacy" free of charge to 81 countries after purchasing licenses to air the show from major local broadcaster SBS.

The licenses allow broadcasters in Europe, Central Asia, Africa, America and Oceania, whose television markets remain largely untapped by Korean producers, to air the 2009 sensation free of charge, said the non-profit Korea Foundation for International Culture Exchange.

Revolving around two young couples entwined in a family inheritance dispute and starring Lee Seung-gi and Han Hyo-ju, the show drew a near 50 percent viewer rating at home, while license talks are underway with broadcasters in Japan, China and Southeast Asian countries, where the so-called "Korean Wave" has garnered strong fan bases.

"We selected this drama because it has good elements that show what Korea is today, and is both of high quality and fun," Lee Sang-yun, an official at the foundation in Seoul, said.

The drama also received positive reviews for its sensible, heartfelt plot, distinguishing it from other popular soaps here with storylines that could be seen as offensive to more traditional sensibilities.

Last year, the foundation acquired licenses to air another SBS drama, "The Painter of Winds," free in 51 countries. The show went on to air in about 30 of them.

Credits : hkim@yna.co.kr

Archived