[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2010/01/22

Eight Korean films invited to Rotterdam fest

SEOUL, Jan. 22 (Yonhap) -- Eight Korean films have been invited to the 2010 International Film Festival Rotterdam set to open in the Dutch city next week, including Park Chan-ok's "Paju," earlier named as the festival opener.

According to the event's Web site, "Moscow" by Whang Cheol-mean and "Mother" by Bong Joon-ho will be screened in its Spectrum section dedicated to established filmmakers worldwide. Moscow tells the story of two former school friends who reunite years later on opposite ends of the social ladder. Mother presents a poignant drama about a mother who goes to extremes to save her mentally ill son, accused of being a murderer.

In its Bright Future section on novice filmmakers, the Jan. 27-Feb. 7 festival will present "Elbowroom" by Ham Kyoung-rock, "Cafe Noir" by critic-turned-director Jung Sung-il, "Eighteen" by Jang Kung-jae, "Possessed" by Lee Young-ju and "Running Turtle" by Lee Yeon-woo.

The festival earlier announced that "Paju" will open the event, with festival director Rutger Wolfson praising it as a "triumph of resilience and a powerful female voice from Asia, ambitious and intimate at the same time."

The second feature by female director Park portraits modern Korean society through the eyes of a young woman, set in the industrial border town of Paju from which the film takes its name -- a longtime military garrison and now developing urban hub located close to the inter-Korean border.

Source : Yonhap News

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mother" nominated in 6 categories at Asian Film Awards

2009060308031420401_2.jpg

"Mother" movie poster [CJ Entertainment]

Director Bong Joon-ho's film "Mother" has been nominated in six categories for the Asian Film Awards in March.

A representative from the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) announced that the film has been nominated for best picture, best director, best actress, best supporting actor, best screenplay and best editor. It will be competing up against Hong Kong film "Bodyguards and Assassins" in some of the categories.

Other nominees include Korean film "Thirst" by world-renowned director Park Chan-wook which was selected for four awards including best actor, best cinematographer, best production designer and best visual effects. Japanese movie "Air Doll" starring Korean actress Bae Doona has been nominated for 'Best Actress'.

The Asian Film Awards, created in 2007, will take place on March 22.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

8 Korean films invited to the Rotterdam film fest

200907151116006131618A_1.jpg

Korean movie poster "Paju" [Myung Films]

Eight Korean films have been invited to the 39th annual International Rotterdam Film Festival, according to the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) committee on Friday.

Film "Moscow" directed by Whang Cheol-mean and "Mother" by director Bong Joon-ho were chosen for the Spectrum section of the festival which highlights movies that contribute to the international film culture.

Several other films including "Cafe Noir" by Jung Sung-il, "Eighteen" by Jang Kun-jae, "Possessed" by Lee Yong-ju, "Elbowroom" by Ham Kyoung-rock and "Running Turtle" by Lee Yeon-woo were chosen to be featured under the Bright Future category that spotlights new directors.

Director Park Chan-ok's second movie "Paju" will open the film fest considered one of the biggest film festivals in Europe, alongside Cannes, Venice and Berlin, and nicknamed the "Sundance of Europe." The film focuses on the forbidden love between Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun and actress Seo Woo.

The International Rotterdam Film Festival, known for recognizing independent experimental movies on an international level, will be held from January 27 to February 7.

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Eight Korean films invited to Rotterdam fest

Eight Korean films have been invited to the 2010 International Film Festival Rotterdam set to open in the Dutch city next week, including Park Chan-ok's "Paju," earlier named as the festival opener, according to Yonhap News.

"Moscow" by Whang Cheol-mean and "Mother" by Bong Joon-ho will be screened in its Spectrum section dedicated to established filmmakers worldwide. Moscow tells the story of two former school friends who reunite years later on opposite ends of the social ladder.

Mother presents a poignant drama about a mother who goes to extremes to save her mentally ill son, accused of being a murderer.

Source : The Korea Herald

Lee Byung-hun questioned by authorities all night

2010012209524514803_2.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun [Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun -- who is currently engaged in a legal battle with his former girlfriend -- was questioned by Korean authorities last night, according to a source at Seoul Central District Court.

"We summoned Lee and with his consent, held an investigation from 8 p.m. on Wednesday evening through 5 a.m. the next morning," an official with the Korean Prosecutors' Office was quoted as saying on Thursday. He explained that the night-long questioning was regarding the two lawsuits filed by the actor and one filed against him.

On December 8, a Korean-Canadian woman by the last name Kwon -- who claimed to be a former girlfriend of Lee's -- had filed a lawsuit against the Hallyu star, saying she was allured into a sexual relationship based on false promises of marriage. She asked to be paid KRW 100 million won in physical and psychological damages and also reported to authorities that the actor had taken part in illegal baccarat gambling overseas.

Lee took counter legal action through his legal representative Kim & Chang, suing the woman for libel and asking the police to investigate multiple threats that he had received regarding his relationship with Kwon.

A day after Kwon had filed the lawsuit, the actor and his agency BH Entertainment issued a press release claiming that anonymous male callers had been threatening to expose false details about the actor's relationship with Kwon unless Lee paid them KRW 2 billion won. The actor did however admit to having a romantic relationship with the woman in a hand-written message that he had posted on his official website.

Lee, 39, has long been considered one of the most successful actors in Korea with dozens of television dramas and films under his belt. He had a particularly successful year in 2009, making his Hollywood debut in action flick "G.I. Joe", co-starring with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura in "I Come With The Rain." He also led a star-studded cast in blockbuster drama "IRIS", for which he picked up the grand prize at KBS Acting Awards.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Januari 22, 2010

Lee Byung-hun Grilled Over Alleged Promise of Marriage

Lee Byung-hun was questioned by prosecutors on Wednesday over a complaint filed by his ex-girlfriend, who alleges breach of promise to marry her.

The 40-year-old actor was interrogated from 8 p.m. Wednesday until 5 a.m. Thursday at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office. Lee had reportedly been summoned only a day earlier.

Source : englishnews@chosun.com

"Slave Hunters" continues to draw larger audience

201001080801492593997A_2.jpg

KBS2 drama "The Slave Hunters" [KBS2]

KBS historical drama "The Slave Hunters" tightened its grip on the small screen this week as the top-rated show continued to attract more viewers.

According to TNS Media Korea on Friday, "Hunters" scored a viewership rating of 33.7 percent on Thursday, surpassing its previous high of 30.8 percent the previous week, to become the most-watched show last night.

The drama has fared well since its premiere on January 6, its ratings breaching the 20 percent mark in its first week of going on air.

Statistics by AGB Nielsen also revealed that the Wednesday and Thursday prime time drama recorded ratings of 32 percent, a 1.2 percent gain from the previous day.

Other evening dramas, MBC's "Woman Who Still Wants to Marry" and SBS's "Will It Snow on Christmas?" trailed behind the traditional drama with ratings of 5.2 and 10.2 percent, respectively

"Hunters" follows the story of slave hunter Dae-gil who is played by Korean actor Jang Hyuk and also stars actor Oh Ji-ho and actress Lee Da-hae.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

[PREVIEW]

MBC TV series "Woman Who Still Wants To Marry"

"Woman Who Still Wants To Marry"

- Premiere episode, MBC TV (Wed/Thu, 10 p.m.)

2010012212504374899_1.jpg

Actress Park Jin-hee in "Woman Who Still Wants To Marry" [MBC]

"What is precious leaves you, what I'm waiting for doesn't come and what I didn't hope for finds me," said Lee Shin-young (played by Myung Se-bin), the main character in the original TV series "Woman Who Wants To Marry", which aired six years ago. Now in 2010, the same circumstances are facing Lee Shin-young, who at 34 has aged two more years in the story. Her boyfriend has left her because he could not handle a woman who still had big career ambitions, the new love that she is waiting for does not come and her career is not working out the way she had planned.

In such situations, the only source of comfort she can turn to -- both now and back then -- is her girlfriends. Boogie (played by Wang Bit-na), who seems cooler than Shin-young when it comes to love, is always there for her no matter how busy she may be. It is Shin-young's responsibility to prevent heartbreaking situations for her schoolmate Da-jeong (played by Uhm Ji-won), who keeps falling and failing in love. Lee Shin-young is still Lee Shin-young, just a tad older. It is nice that Lee Shin-young has remained the same person she has always been, but it is disappointing to see that "Woman Who Still Wants To Marry" has not moved on from where it was six years ago. Most of the incidents surrounding Lee Shin-young in the first episode was no different from all the cruel events directed toward older single women -- the so-called "Gold Misses" -- in many similar dramas that aired after "Woman Who Wants To Marry". Why do all former boyfriends of the Lonely Old Misses always send a wedding invitation to their former girlfriends? Especially at a time where she already has more than enough to worry about and is writhing in loneliness?

In order to re-tell a story that seems to have been told many times before, there has to be "a certain something else" in the plot but that "something" cannot be found yet in "Woman Who Still Wants To Marry". Could it be because the show has only just started? One can relate to the character Shin-young but even the typical comedic elements feel out of place -- as if they have not melted into the drama yet. If the producers cannot convince viewers why they are re-telling Lee Shin-young's story that they did not finish telling six years ago, viewers may end up asking Lee Shin-young, "You're still not married?"

Written by Yoonina (TV critic)

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

2010-01-22

Yoo Seung-ho and Go Ah-sung Become 'Street Fighters' In 'Master of Study'

Yoo Seung-ho plays Ryu, the charismatic master wearing a classic Judo outfit.

Go Ah-sung, playing the cute Chun Lee, has a match with villain Lee Ye-ji, who changes into Sailor Moon.

In the drama “Master of Study,” Yoo Seung-ho and Go Ah-sung transformed into "Street Fighters," characters from the hand-to-hand fighting video game.

In the sixth episode of the drama, Yoo transforms into Ryu, who is a solitary Judo master, while Go Ah-sung changes into pretty Chun Lee, who wears a dumpling-shaped hairdo and a blue dress, to protect Han soo-jung (Bae Doo-na) from Ken and Sailor Moon in an English test battle.

359_970_l.jpg

▲ Yoo and Go transform into characters from the game Street Fighters

Their opponents are Kim Sang-hoon, who is the number one student at the school, and Lee Ye-ji, who is at the top of her English class. Kim and Lee also transform into Ken and Sailor Moon, respectively.

Meanwhile, during the shooting, the director was satisfied with Go’s acting and continuously said, "O.K." because the adorable Go performed the martial art sequences flawlessly. Yoo perfectly matched the role of Ryu, who is the most popular character in the game Street Fighter. Up to now, the transformation of Yoo and Go is said to be the most exciting change in the drama.

The production team for the “Study of Master” said, “We made great scenes using the actors’ transformations. We have tried to use different methods to express how to study.”

Yoo and Go’s transformation into Ryu and Chun Lee was broadcast during the episode of “Master of Study” on January 19.

Writer: KBSi Jin Young-ju

Source: 3HW Com

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Januari 22, 2010

Actor Lee Byung-heon appears on CNN Talk Asia

201012215521444554.jpg

Things are only getting better for Korea's top actor Lee Byung-hun, age 39. Nearly two decades after his first debut in 1991, he's become one of the most romantic heroes of Korean soap operas, a ruthless killer in numerous movies and overall, a major heartthrob all across Asia.

The year 2009 was especially rewarding for him both at home and abroad, with his first Hollywood debut “G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra” hitting high at the box office and his spy thriller drama “Iris” at home earning him a grand prize at the 2009 KBS Acting Awards.

CNN Talk Asia just uploaded video footage of its previous interview with Lee on Wednesday (Jan. 20). The footage goes back to Lee on the red carpet last October at the Pusan International Film Festival as he talked about his acting career, his experience with dramas and movies and his future plans after his successful debut in Hollywood.

Lee confessed that he tried to turn down the offer to play the role of Storm Shadow in “G.I. Joe” at first, not knowing what it was. But with much prodding from his acquaintances, especially from director Park Chan-wook, noted for the movie “Old Boy” that won wide critical acclaim, Lee decided otherwise. G.I. Joe attracted 280 million viewers, grossing over US$300 million. With a sequel in the making, Lee has signed up for that, too.

In his interview, Lee also mentioned the changing times, saying that only few years ago, Korean actors making it in Hollywood was but a dream. “But now it is reality,” he said.

The world “Hallyu (Korean Wave)” was also touched upon during the interview, with the reporter asking why Koreans are so much into soaps. Lee explained that it was the degree of reality put into them. “Korean dramas tend to show real life, small things, small emotions and small twists.” In a similar vein, he also explained why Asia is obsessed with South Korean pop culture. “It's the family thing, love, hate, they can feel the emotions.”

CNN said that according to Lee, his best work is yet to come. “I'm trying to be patient, especially in my work. I'm not doing this job as a joke. I have to persuade my audience with my acting and emotions,” Lee said.

Last Friday (Jan 15) Lee won his most recent award, the Asia Star Award lauded for his contribution to promoting Asian cultural content, bestowed by Korea Model Association at the Asia Model Awards. The Asia Model Awards, the biggest fashion festival of its kind now in its fifth year, is participated in by only the top models of 13 Asian countries under the slogan “Asia is One.” The ceremony was broadcast to 21 Asian countries.

Lee's next project is “The Influence,” a mystery mini-series with a story that revolves around a promise that refuses to go away over time and characters who are faced with tough decisions to keep that promise. It is made up of three parts, totaling up to 60 minutes and will be released online in March, 2010.

Those wishing to see Lee's interview with CNN Talk Show, click here

Credits : Kim Hee-sung (Korea.net Staff Writer)

Source : Korea.net

January 22, 2010

Director explores magical realm

‘The magical arts made the impossible possible, just as CG effects do for film.

21203218.jpg

Choi Dong-hoon

James Cameron’s masterwork “Avatar” is currently in high favor with moviegoers, but it is not the only movie that’s doing well at local box offices. The Korean action flick “Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard” has also become a commercial success, attracting more than 5 million viewers in less than a month after its release on Dec. 23.

The movie, which is based on the classic Korean novel “Jeon Woo Chi,” may not have the spectacular special effects and computer graphics that Avatar does, but the imaginative story featuring a legendary Korean anti-hero seems to be attracting moviegoers, critics say.

Director Choi Dong-hoon, 39, who is known for movies such as “The Big Swindle” (2004) and “The War of Flower” (2006), said in a recent interview that with Jeon Woo Chi, he wanted to show something different from his previous works. Following are excerpts from a recent interview with Choi.

Q. Your previous movies were rated for viewers 18 and older, but Jeon Woo Chi is rated for viewers 12 and older. To be honest, Jeon Woo Chi comes as a sort of surprise because your previous films have been about violence and criminals.

A. I wanted to enjoy making this movie as much as viewers would enjoy watching it. In fact, after my mother-in-law watched the movie, she said that if Avatar is a ferocious lion, then my movie is like a cute cat, and I think it’s an appropriate metaphor.

What characteristics about Jeon Woo Chi were so appealing to you?

I like classical literature. When I was a child, I read books such as “Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms” quite often. I came across the book “Jeon Woo Chi” one day and wondered why it hadn’t yet been made into a movie.

I was drawn to the fact that Jeon Woo Chi is not a superhero, but a cheerful anti-hero, which makes him even more interesting. I wanted this movie to be more fable than fantasy, like Harry Potter, so I included scenes where Jeon Woo Chi rides on clouds and a dog transforms into a human being.

It was interesting to see elements of Asian fantasy in the movie, such as animals in the Chinese zodiac turning into ghosts and monsters.

Korea is fortunate to have such invaluable assets in its classical literature. The character Jeon Woo Chi always carries a charm against evil, just as a cowboy from a Western movie would always be armed with a gun. In that way, I wanted to combine Eastern and Western elements in the film. I also wanted to show aspects of Taoism that still exist in Korea.

Taoist magic uses illusions, an element that movies also use. So, just as the magical arts made the impossible possible, special effects and CG effects are doing that for films.

How did you use computer graphics and action sequences?

Jeon Woo Chi used 1,400 CG shots, which is the largest amount used in a Korean movie to date. But it’s not really apparent because I tried to mask the CG effects as much as possible. The opening scene where Jeon Woo Chi comes down from the sky on a cloud and the shot where 10 Jeon Woo Chis fight against each other were all done in an “analog” way, so to speak. I did it that way because even though they don’t look as perfect or smooth as when special effects are used, they create a unique atmosphere.

You’ve said that inspiration for the movie came from actor Gang Dong-won.

I usually work with actors with theater backgrounds because of my belief that they are good at acting, but Gang Dong-won [who plays the title character] has changed my views on acting and actors. Some actors are gifted in acting, but there are also actors [like Gang] that are just fascinating to watch.

Credits : Yang Sung-hee [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

Guest mimerita

Jan 22, 2010

Bong’s 'Mother' Leads AFA Nominations

Director Bong Joon-ho's "Mother'' scored six nominations, including best film and director, for the fourth Asian Film Awards, the organizer said Friday.

The thriller about maternal love was also nominated for best actress for Kim Hye-ja, best supporting actor for Won Bin, best screenwriter and best editor for Moon Sae-kyoung. It led the nominations along with Teddy Chan's Hong Kong-China co-production film "Bodyguards and Assassins.''

Chinese-language films from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan were led the pack with 32 nominations in 14 categories, followed by South Korea with 17 and Japan with 13.

Director Park Chan-wook's Cannes winner "Thirst'' was also nominated for best actor for Song Kang-ho. Bae Doo-na was nominated for best actress for her leading role in "Air Doll.''

This year's nominations saw a diverse mix of films from over nine countries across Asia, including Iran, India, Vietnam and the Philippines.

"The diversity shows that there are distinctive Asian films that can withstand Hollywood hegemony,'' Wilfred Wong, chairman of the AFA board of directors, told The Hollywood Reporter. "For example, films from South Korea and Japan stand out with their delicate portrayals of humanity.''

Organized by the Hong Kong International Film Festival Society, the awards will be handed out March 22.

Source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr

2010-01-25

Jang Hyeok: 'I was Drawn to the Duality of Dae-gil'

A reporter straightforwardly asked actor Jang Hyuk (34), “Do you feel good or bad if people say your acting skills have improved?” Jang has generally played main characters for 12 years since debuting in 1988.

Jang replied earnestly, as usual, “Of course it makes me feel good. However, my performance did not improve all of sudden, but it has been gradually improving until now, even though people cannot catch up on my improvement.”

The reporter met Jang, who stars in the KBS 2TV “The Slave Hunters,” which has recorded 30 percent viewer ratings, at a cafe in Apgujung-dong on January 20. He has received favorable evaluations by appearing the drama.

Jang said, "The drama fans' attention makes me feel good to know that my work is appreciated, but it still has not hit me yet. The viewer rating of my latest drama 'Scoundrels' was under 10 percent.” 

7268_796_l.jpg

In “The Slave Hunters,” Jang plays slave hunter Dae-gil, who chases after runaway slaves. Dae-gil was a descendent of a wealthy upper class family, but he became a slave hunter in order to make a living after his household was killed by a fire set during the Manchu war of 1636.

During the subsequent 10 years, Dae-gil, who had grown up in a very sheltered environment, became a merciless and chauvinistic hunter.

Jang gives an energetic performance of the role of Dae-gil, who is a cruel slave hunter bent only on survival.

In the drama, Jang, who has been practicing Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee’s martial arts discipline) since 2001, performed the action scenes in a convincing way on High-definition TV.

7268_797_l.jpg 

Jang said, “Actually, I am interested in playing the character of the male chauvinist Dae-gil because I am not that kind of person in real life. However, Dae-gil still has sympathy for humankind deep in his heart even though he is a merciless slave hunter. It is not easy for slave hunters, who are considered even lower than butchers for their job of hunting down human beings, to show caring for other people, but Dae-gil eventually shows his heart to people."

Dae-gil hears people calling him a scoundrel due to his cruelty as a slave hunter who works solely for money; however, he released an enslaved mother and her daughter secretly after catching them.

Jang said, “However, Dae-gil is not a righteous person who follows a great cause. It seems he rescued the mother and her daughter because he simply felt compassion for them.” Jang added, “Dae-gil might experience struggles between good and evil on the inside. He still has humane qualities even though he is a merciless slave hunter. I was drawn to his duality.”

In the drama, Dae-gil not only chases slaves for money, but he also searches for a slave Eon-Nyeon (Lee Dae-hae), with whom he fell in love and was separated from due to the ravage of war.

7268_798_l.jpg

Jang said, “Dae-gil does not know what he would do after finding Eon-Nyeon. For him, Eon-Nyeon is a symbol of his past 10 years when he lost everything, including his privileged status and family members. He has hatred as well as love toward her because Eon-nyeon’s older brother destroyed his family and his life by setting Dae-gil’s house on fire.”

In the drama, Dae-gil does not wear much clothes. Dae-gil shows off his strong abdominal muscles by wearing sparse outer clothing or not putting on a shirt. His muscles seem to have been well developed over a long period of time. Jang said, “I did not stop exercising after debuting. I like exercising -- I do it almost everyday -- and I think it is important to treat myself right. In the drama, Dai-gil has been building muscle not for showing off to other people, but because of his struggle for survival. To pull off the role, I think it is a good thing I have exercised for a long time."

He added, "In addition, the camera director has tried to accentuate my muscles during the action scenes. I also try to frequently do chin-ups and lift dumbbells even while shooting the scenes.”

However, the slave hunters wear more clothing as the weather becomes colder late in the drama. Jang said, "The season will change in the eighth episode. I think I showed enough of my body to the viewers (laughing)." 

7268_799_l.jpg

Jang has personally experienced many changes over the past five years. He hastily joined the military because he was involved in draft irregularities and became the father of two children after a sudden marriage announcement.

Jang has appeared in six dramas over three years without pause. Through the process, he has received favorable evaluations that his acting skill has been improving.

Jang said, “I learned and realized many things through my different acting experiences. I think an actor performs best when he is in his thirties and forties. I have an expectation for myself that I will show a better performance these days as I get older. I am very happy right now as a father of two children as well as an actor.”

Jang said, smiling, “I would like to show how married men can also be attractive actor to viewers.”

Source : KBS GLOBAL

"Avatar" takes sixth Korean box office win

2009121117102934402_1.jpg

Movie poster for "Avatar" [20th Century Fox]

Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar" continued to remain the most-watched movie in Korea last week, taking command of the box office for the sixth weekend in a row, according to official box office figures on Monday.

Statistics by the Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS) showed that the sci-fi action flick drew in 633,881 viewers from January 22 to 24, totalling close to 10.3 million viewers since the film's opening in mid-December.

The James Cameron pic, currently the sixth most-watched movie in Korea's history after "The Host," "King and the Clown," "Taegukgi," "Haeundae" and "Silmido," is now just about 80,000 viewers away from moving a step up the chart.

Newly-released Korean comedy "Attack the Gas Station 2" entered the weekend box office in second place with 303,731 viewers while the action comedy film "WOOCHI" dropped a spot to No. 3 with 296,978 viewers.

Rounding off the top five slots were the Korean movie "No Mercy" in fourth with 123,256 viewers and the animated picture "Astro Boy" with 80,795 viewers.

Other movies that were included in the top ten were "Paranormal Activity", "Bodyguards and Assassins", "500 Days of Summer", "The Princess and the Frog" and "Sherlock Holmes".

[RATINGS] Weekend Box Office: Jan 22-24

2010012508504971064_2.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of January 22 to 24, 2010

[Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

"Three Brothers" tops TV ratings for fourth week

2010012510070127638_1.jpg

Current No. 1 drama in Korea "Three Brothers" [KBS2]

KBS2 TV weekend drama "Three Brothers" has topped the TV ratings for the fourth consecutive week.

According to statistics by TNS Media Korea on Monday, the show was the most-watched drama in the country with a 36.6 percent viewership rating during the week of January 18 to 24.

KBS1 TV's daily drama "Jolly Widows" and KBS2's traditional drama "The Slave Hunters" came in second and third with an equal number of viewers, recording a viewership rating of 32 percent.

In the non-drama category, KBS2's "Happy Sunday" remained on top with a viewership rating of 29.6 percent. MBC's daily sitcom "High Kick Through the Roof" came in next with a rating of 25.5 percent and SBS's "World Changing Quiz" rounded out the top three with a score of 24.8 percent as of last week.

[RATINGS] Weekly TV ratings: Jan 18-24

2010012508551094372_2.jpg

TV ratings for the week of January 18-24, 2010

Press conference for film "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle"

You will be desperately hungry for a steamy hot bowl of rice or ramen noodles cooked in a nickel-silver pot after watching this film. From what has been revealed at the film's press conference, held at Myung-dong Lotte Cinema on Thursday, "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" has succeeded in living up to its title by deliciously showing various kinds of kimchi. At a kimchi competition which aims to globalize the Korean dish called kimchi, main character Sung-chan (played by Jin Goo) and his archrival Jang-eun (played by Kim Jung-eun) present various types of kimchi. The sight of these dishes so strongly stimulates the viewers' sense of taste that they are likely to cringe when, in the film, the judges say, "What a profound, mysterious taste."

2010012215431301809_2.jpg

Scenes from the film ""Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" [Lotte Entertainment]

But what made the original comic series "Sikgaek" -- written by Korea's legendary artist Huh Young-man -- a masterpiece was that ultimately it used kimchi as a medium to talk about relationship between people. In "Kimchi Battle", kimchi also serves as the key to resolving misunderstandings and conflict between characters Sung-chan, Jang-eun and Soo-hyang (played by Lee Bo-hee), the lady of their former childhood residence Choonyang-gak. Will this movie which stimulates our taste bud also have a similar effect on the viewers' lachrymal glands? We will find out when the movie opens in theaters on January 28. The following are excerpts from the press conference, held immediately after the press screening attended by director Baek Dong-hoon and actors Jin Goo, Kim Jung-eun and Lee Bo-hee.

Q: You must have felt some pressure coming out with a movie titled "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle", since it was originally a popular comic series and has been made into both a movie and a television drama.

Director Baek Dong-hoon (Baek): I did feel a lot of pressure because the movie and the drama were well received and were commercial successes. I also thought long and hard about how I should express Sung-chan's character. So I decided to tell a new story -- a story that had not been told in the comic or in the two previous projects, a story that I wanted to hear about and I came up with the past story of Sung-chan. But in terms of creating a conflict, it was my original plan to introduce a much more powerful enemy, more powerful than that of character Bong-joo in the past. That is how I came up with the female character, the genius cook Jang-eun (played by Kim Jung-eun) whom Sung-chan has never been able to beat.

in Goo (Jin): Frankly, I feel the pressure too. The previous projects did so well and it had been my dream to play the role of Sung-chan in a project as big as this. But when I read director Baek's script, the plot was something that had never been told before and Sung-chan was more serious and darker than I had thought so I shot the film believing that I'm the perfect actor for the part. Viewers will be seeing the most incomplete version of Sung-chan they have seen so far so I hope you see this as sort of a prequel and the process of me having gone through this process to grow into the perfect versions of Sung-chan as played by actors Kim Kang-woo and Kim Rae-won.

2010012215431301809_3.jpg

Actor Jin Goo [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: It must have been hard for Kim Jung-eun as well. You have been taking on many physically demanding roles -- playing a handball player in the film "Forever the Moment" and a surgeon in MBC TV series "General Hospital 2".

Kim Jung-eun (Kim): There is a certain image about me that has solidified over the ten or so years that I have been acting and it has brought me where I am today. But from a certain point on, I felt like I was stuck in my unique image and so I thought that I had do something painful to make myself believable as an actor. That's why I felt comfort from dribbling balls and holding scalpels. Physically, it was the hardest playing handball but this role was very hard on me emotionally because Jang-eun is a lonely, painful character. 

Q: You prepared kimchi battle as the new theme for "Le Grand Chef". What did you want to express through kimchi?

Baek: It is a kimchi battle but I wanted to show the emotion behind kimchi, not the battle. So I tried to compose the story of characters who could portray the various images the dish gives off. Kimchi is something that all members of the family gather around to make but the younger generation may not know that or feel that way about kimchi. So I wanted to show them that and express what an incredible emotion that is in the movie.

Kim: I have done many interviews with the media but I think this is the hardest film to promote. You understand what kind of a movie it is when you watch it, but there are parts that are hard to explain if you haven't seen the film. To be honest, we promoted food and kimchi as the main theme and kimchi does appear with a very strong impact right from the beginning. But you will feel that the story about people is bigger and more important than kimchi. Using kimchi as a medium, the movie naturally flows into a story about growth and healing so I think people are more important than kimchi in the film. 

Q: In the film, the most important person concerning growth and healing is a mother. What kind of a mother figure did you want to portray?

Lee Bo-hee (Lee): I acted the part hoping that my character will move the hearts of Sung-chan and Jang-eun rather that wanting to portray a certain type of a mother. I compared my character with my own mother and I actually have been making kimchi with my mother for a couple of years now. She is old so I worry that if she dies, the kimchi won't taste the same without her taste. That is why I wanted to find my own motherly taste and I thought about that when I watched the film. 

Q: The other actors must have thought about the role of mothers too.

Kim: Really, it's actually the bad cooks that try and give a go at cooking special dishes like pasta. But while shooting this film, I felt that the hardest dish to make is a home-cooked meal that our mothers make. Making a really good bean paste soup or kimchi soup is harder than anything else. That's what I learned that and I've gotten used to cooking those everyday dishes now. And I am not like Jang-eun -- I am a very good daughter. (laugh) I have never been away from my mother, not even a year. But while I was in preparations to shoot this film, I talked a lot with the director and I wondered whether I might have said something hurtful to my mother. I think I might have and I want to be good to her in the future. 

Jin Goo: I think I have become a better son to my parents while working on this film. I hope the viewers will learn to think more of their parents as well.

2010012215431301809_4.jpg

Actress Kim Jung-eun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: But visually, what stood out the most was the different colors of the various types of kimchi. Could you recommend one type of kimchi that is the most delicious and most likely to be a universal success?

Baek: That is a hard question for me to answer because I was so busy making the film that when I came back to my senses, all the food was gone. The only kimchi that I was able to taste was the kimchi used in a scene where Lee Bo-hee is making kimchi. That was the most memorable kimchi for me. And the two kinds of fusion kimchis that Jang-eun made were newly invented ones -- the food director went to a lot of trouble to make those.

Kim: You will see it in the movie but the kimchis my character makes have such pretty decorations on them that I couldn't dare try eating them. I often just imagined of how they would taste. 

Lee: The kimchi that director Baek mentioned -- it was so delicious that I ate too much of it and almost got sick. I used to wonder whether food that appear in movies taste as good as they look, but I think I made the proper Jeolla Province-style kimchi in this film.

Jin: My favorite kimchi was the one that was unveiled at the second competition. It didn't win the competition in the film but in reality, I can proudly say that it tasted the best -- a taste that was closest to being appreciated by the general public. Honestly, everyone enjoyed the kimchi because it was delicious so I thought it would be mentioned here (laugh). But nobody is bringing it up so I will. It was so good that all the staff ate a lot of kimchi. And the first kimchi introduced in the film, I left it in a certain place to take it home but the director and cinematographer took it. (laugh)

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Lee Wan denies rumors of entering military in March

2010012516214924112_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Wan [sBS]

Korean actor Lee Wan has denied rumors that he will be entering the Korean military in March, according to his agency Logos Film on Monday.

An official at Logos explained that talks of Lee voluntarily taking up the two-year military service is "not true" and that he is actually planning to hold a fan meeting in Japan in March. He also added that the 26-year-old is "in considering joining the army sometime around the end of this year of early next year."

Lee had deferred his mandatory military duties last year to appear in SBS TV series "Swallow The Sun" and is currently looking at scripts for television dramas and films, the official said, adding that the actor wishes to "do one or two more projects before joining the army."

The Logos official further went onto say that the rumor may have been born from calculation that the Korean military usually sends out a letter of notice to candidates about 12 or 18 months after the deferment. Hence, March would be when Lee receives the letter, not the time period he would enlist.

Lee Wan, whose real name is Kim Hyung-soo, is the younger brother of top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee. He debuted in the hit 2003 TV series "Stairway to Heaven" alongside Hallyu stars Kwon Sang-woo and Choi Ji-woo, and has appeared in several dramas including "In-soon Is Pretty" (KBS, 2007) and "Let's Go To The Beach" (SBS, 2005).

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

'Avatar' sets new milestone

Just a little over a month since its release in Korea, James Cameron's 'Avatar' has become the first-ever foreign movie here to top the 10 million mark in ticket sales, joining the exclusive ranks of a handful of domestic films in a country known for its loyalty to homegrown cinema, according to Yonhap News.

On Saturday the film became the sixth-ever movie released in Korea to draw in over 10 million viewers, its distributor 20th Century Fox Korea said. The epic sci-fi fantasy, which tells the story of a disabled U.S. marine who infiltrates a tribe of giant blue aliens inhabiting a faraway planet, is also set to become the first film ever in the Korean movie market to reach the 100 billion won ($87.3 million) mark in sales.

"Avatar" follows in the footsteps of five other local smash hits -- "Silmido" (2003), "Tae Guk Gi" (2004), "The King and the Clown" (2005), "The Host" (2006) and "Haeundae" (2009) -- which raked in audiences of over 10 million.

In terms of sales, Avatar has obliterated the competition, becoming the highest grossing film released in the country.

The film's sales as of Friday reached 87.2 billion won ($76.1 million), outstripping the previous 81-billion-won record set by "Haeundae," a homegrown disaster film released last year. Avatar's high sales are due in large measure to the movie's admission prices for its 3D screenings, which are some 40-percent higher than ordinary movies.

The film took 74 percent of all movie reservations for this weekend and is largely expected to continue its box office rampage for several more weeks, with its distributor aiming for sales of over 100 billion won.

"Sales are set to top 100 billion won if the total number of viewers surpasses 12 million," an official at 20th Century Fox Korea said.

But whether the Cameron movie will top "The Host," a satirical monster film by the internationally acclaimed director Bong Joon-ho, in terms of audience numbers still remains to be seen, industry watchers say.

01-24-2010

Sci-Fi Blockbuster 'Avatar' Becomes Top Grossing Film

One out of five Koreans has seen "Avatar."

The blue alien movie is taking the country by storm, becoming the first foreign picture to draw over 10 million viewers, Saturday, according to its local distributor, 20th Century Fox Korea.

Moreover, it has brought about a "revolution" in both profits and expanding horizons for three-dimensional (3D) movies.

"Avatar" is now the highest grossing film here, with sales of 87.2 billion won as of Jan. 22, and theaters are installing more 3D screens to cater to the towering demand.

It may soon be the first film here to make 100 billion won.

"It might be difficult for the movie to draw a bigger audience than 'The Host,' but we estimate that it will garner some 12 million viewers and gross 100 billion won," said its distributor.

Since opening on Dec. 17, it surpassed the box office record for imported films ― 7.44 million viewers set by "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen" in 2009 ― in just 24 days.

On its 38th day in theaters, the 3D movie hit the 10-million viewer mark ― the sixth film to do so in local theaters.

Only five South Korean movies have ever sold over 10 million tickets ― "Silmido" (11.08 million in 2003), "Tae-guk-gi: Brothers of War" (11.74 million in 2004), "King and the Clown" (12.3 million in 2005), "The Host" (13 million in 2006) and "Haeundae" (11.39 million last year).

"Avatar" easily surpassed the sales record of 81 billion won set by "Haeundae." This is due to the fact that admission for 3D movies costs more. Tickets for regular 2D films are 9,000 won but those for 3D are 13,000 won and IMAX, 16,000 won. Some 40 percent of "Avatar's" profits are from 3D screenings, according to the distributor.

Major theater chains CGV and Lotte Cinema announced plans to increase the number of 3D screens, so they would comprise up to 30 percent of screens in their theaters. Previously only 138 theaters here offered 3D screenings.

Despite the high ticket price and the difficulty in securing seats, fans argue that "it's only worth seeing in 3D," as one Netizen, polo7907, said.

Created by the makers of the international hit "Titanic," the movie employs a new CGI technology called e-motion performance capture.

Set in the future, "Avatar" is about a former marine named Jake who travels to an alien planet, Pandora, where he discovers adventure, hope and even love as he befriends the indigenous Na'vis.

With the recent opening of 4D theaters, which provide a five-sensory experience, the "Avatar" hype is forecast to continue well into the Lunar New Year weekend, which runs from Feb. 13 to 15.

According to the Korean Film Council Saturday, "Avatar" continues to dominate sales, accounting for about 73 percent of ticket reservations and roughly 45 percent of total admissions.

Many viewers who have already seen the film in 2D are also heading back to theaters to enjoy it in 3D.

"I've seen other 3D movies before; the glasses were uncomfortable and I felt a little dizzy, so I watched 'Avatar' in 2D. But all of my friends have seen the 3D version and said it was mind-blowing, so I'm planning on watching it in 3D," said Paik Sung-wook, a 19-year-old student.

Others are still waiting to watch it for the first time.

"I wanted to watch 'Avatar' at an IMAX theater but weekend screenings have been sold out for the past several weeks. I'm still waiting," said Lee Rita, a 29-year-old researcher. "But now that a 4D version is coming out maybe I should wait a little longer."

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter

Source : The Korea Times

2010/01/25

S. Korean cinema grows with less budget in 2009 

SEOUL, Jan. 25 (Yonhap) -- South Korean cinema performed well in

2009, with both the number of films released and ticket sales climbing sharply, but the gap in investment between blockbusters and indie movies grew, a report said Monday.

According to the Korean Film Council report, 138 movies were made in the country last year, compared to 113 produced during the stagnant period of 2008. The figure was up even from the renaissance years of 2006 and 2007, which saw 110 and 124 movies produced respectively.

The number of viewers went up by 4 percent to more than 156 million people in the country with the population of 48.3 million. Theater ticket sales rose by 11 percent to 1 trillion won (US$950 billion).

But less money was injected in the movie industry amid the economic downturn. The gross production budget was 318.78 billion won, compared to about 340 billion won the previous year.

The film council said the decreased investment suggests a consistent polarization in the movie industry, as blockbusters edged out mid-scale films and small producers turned to art and independent flicks. The average production cost per film was 2.3 billion won, the lowest since 2001.

Sixteen movies, 13 percent of the total, reached their breakeven points, up from 10 movies or 9.3 percent in 2008.

Credits : hkim@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News

'Project Runway' back, new MBC drama on the way 

On Style's "Project Runway Korea 2" and a brand new MBC weekend series, "Dandelion Family," are hitting the small screen this Saturday.

Last February, cable channel On Style brought audiences a local version of the hit fashion reality show "Project Runway."

According to a press release, the first season nabbed top viewer ratings for its timeslot. The show, whose format was purchased from Project Runway's international distributor FremantleMedia, featured 14 contestants. The top three finalists sent their designs down a spring fashion show catwalk in the hopes of winning an Elle Korea spread, a top class sedan, and 50 million won ($36,191).

Season 2 promises to stay true to the show's format.

Every week, contestants will complete to determine who will get to stay another week. The top three finalists will work on their collections for approximately three months before showcasing their work during Seoul Fashion Week this spring.

Season one model-cum-emcee Lee Sora and fellow judges ANDY & DEBB head designer Kim Seok-won and Elle Korea editor-in-chief Shin Yoo-jin will be returning, along with season one mentor, Hongik University Department of Textile Art and Fashion Design professor Kan Ho-sup.

Though the basic format will remain the same, some changes have been instituted. According to a press release, 15, not 14, contestants will be competing for the top prize. The award money has been bumped up to 70 million won ($60, 743), a significant increase from last year's 50 million won. Furthermore, the Seoul Metropolitan Government will be acting as co-organizer and the Seoul Business Agency (Seoul Fashion Center) as co-supervisor.

The primary factor, however, that will determine the success or failure of the second season lies in the contestants and their designs. Judging from the previews that have been airing on On Style, the new group of designers promises to be even more entertaining than the last bunch.

But will their designs be better?

"Project Runway Korea 2" airs Saturday at midnight on On Style.

201001250047.jpg

For the three major broadcast networks, weekend programming tends to involve family dramas. MBC's latest addition is no exception to the rule.

Titled "Dandelion Family," the new series charts the lives of three very different sisters; from the eldest (played by "A Man and A Woman" actress Song Seon-mi), who boasts a picture perfect marriage, on the outside at least, to the second eldest (played by singer and actress Maya), the one who never could quite live up to her older sister, and ends up pregnant and married to her college sweetheart, against her mother's wishes.

The youngest, played by "No Limit" and reality show "Just Married" actress Lee Yoon-ji, unlike her wedded siblings, does not want to enter into the institute of marriage.

When asked to compare her role as Hye-won to herself at a press conference last week, actress Lee said: "I think that her desire to avoid marriage, I think that is different from my own personality. I want to get married."

"In this project my character is also a perfectionist," Lee referenced her past roles in "No Limit" and "Just Married." "But I think you will get to see how I end up stabbing my own father in the back with Jae-ha (her character's love interest)."

"Coffee Prince" actor Kim Dong-wook will be taking on the role of Jae-ha, a character who does not buy into the practice of marriage but must get hitched if he wants to receive his inheritance in advance.

Actor Kim and the cast and crew of "Dandelion Family" face some stiff competition with the hit KBS series, "Three Brothers." According to news reports, viewer ratings for "Three Brothers" are now well into the 30th percentile.

When asked about the rival KBS drama, director Lim Tae-woo answered: "We have met a very powerful enemy."

At a round table interview during the press conference, Kim Dong-wook, Lee Yoon-ji, Maya and co-star Jung Woo fielded one last question. A reporter asked them what ratings they expect or hope to bring in.

Kim Dong-wook quipped: "Oh, we shouldn't have fielded that last question."

Co-star Maya stepped up and said: "This drama's greatest weapon lies in its ability to get people to relate to it. Like the director said, if we follow the script and act accordingly then we can tug at (our audience's) heartstrings."

"Dandelion Family" first airs on MBC at 7:55 p.m. on Saturday.  

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

January 26, 2010

Korean cinema in the spotlight at Dutch festival

25204702.jpg

Korean director Park Chan-ok’s “Paju” has been named as the opening film of the 2010

International Film Festival Rotterdam, which is set to open tomorrow. Provided by MK Pictures

Eight Korean films have been invited to the 2010 International Film Festival Rotterdam set to open in the Dutch city tomorrow, including Park Chan-ok’s “Paju,” earlier named as the festival opener.

According to the event’s Web site, “Moscow” by Whang Cheol-mean and “Mother” by Bong Joon-ho will be screened in its Spectrum section dedicated to established filmmakers worldwide. Moscow tells the story of two former school friends who reunite years later on opposite ends of the social ladder. Mother presents a poignant drama about a mother who goes to extremes to save her mentally ill son, accused of being a murderer.

In its Bright Future section on novice filmmakers, the festival will present “elbowroom” by Ham Kyoung-rock, “Cafe noir” by critic-turned-director Jung Sung-il, “Eighteen” by Jang Kun-jae, “Possessed” by Lee Yong-ju and “Running Turtle” by Lee Yeon-woo.

The festival earlier announced that “Paju” will open the event, with festival director Rutger Wolfson praising it as a “triumph of resilience and a powerful female voice from Asia, ambitious and intimate at the same time.”

The second feature by female director Park portrays modern Korean society through the eyes of a young woman, set in the industrial border town of Paju - a longtime military garrison and now a developing urban hub located close to the inter-Korean border.

*The festival takes place from Jan. 27 to Feb. 7.

Source : Yonhap via JoongAng Daily

January 26, 2010

Korea to host Int’l Indian Film Academy Awards

Korea has been chosen to host one of India’s largest film festivals this year, a Korean presidential body said Monday during President Lee Myung-bak’s state visit here. 

Andre Timmins, a member of the organizing committee for the International Indian Film Academy Awards, attended the Korea Night Event held here on Sunday and said Seoul was selected to host the annual IIFA Awards in June 2010, according to the Presidential Council on Nation Branding.

The organization, led by former Korea University president Euh Yoon-dae, is spearheading Korea’s efforts to enhance its international image.

“The IIFA Awards is the Indian movie industry’s largest festival, tantamount to the U.S. Academy Awards,” the council said.

It is expected to draw hundreds of India’s leading actors, actresses and filmmakers.

India has an advanced film industry based in Mumbai, widely called “Bollywood,” a mix of Hollywood and Bombay, Mumbai’s previous name.

The Canadian city of Toronto is scheduled to host the IIFA Awards in June 2011.

The film festival has previously been held in Britain, South Africa, Malaysia, Singapore, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, Thailand and China.

Source : Yonhap via JoongAng Daily

Jan.26, 2010

Seoul to Host Bollywood Film Fest

The International Indian Film Academy, one of the largest festivals of Indian film abroad, will be held in Seoul in June, according to Sabbas Joseph of organizers Wizcraft.

IIFA was initiated in 2000 to promote the worldwide appreciation of Indian movies. The festival is held in a different global city each year, with past hosts including London, Amsterdam, Singapore and Dubai.

According to the Korea Tourism Organization, the festival usually draws some 1,500 movie industry figures, 300 global journalists and some 10,000 spectators. The New Delhi Office of KTO estimates the festival has boosted tourism to the host cities by about 30 percent.

For Korea, KTO expects that the four days of the festival will generate W43 billion (US$1=W1,150) of tourism revenues and W64.4 billion of promotional effects.

India has the largest film industry in the world, producing over 1,000 movies per year. Out of its 1.2 billion population, an average of 23 million people watch Indian films every day. In 2008 alone, a total of 3.7 billion film tickets were sold in India, as against 1.4 billion in the U.S.

Source : chosun.ilbo

Archived