[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

12-23-2009

Jung Sun-hee Makes Tearful Confession

091223_p16_jung.jpg

Jung Sun-hee

Comedian and TV/radio host

Comedian and TV/radio host Jung Sun-hee tearfully explained how she overcame urges to take her own life after being hit by a recent string of tragedies.

Appearing on an SBS TV program for the first time in 15 months, she talked about the adversities she has experienced since her husband's death.

Last year, Jung left her MBC radio show when listeners complained about critical remarks she made regarding the protests of U.S. beef imports. The 37-year-old then quit TV altogether when her husband of less than a year, actor Ahn Jae-hwan, died in September 2008, and her best friend, actress Choi Jin-sil, committed suicide two months later.

``I thought my life was over. I wept a lot while praying," Jung said.

Jung said she considered taking her own life following the back-to-back deaths.

"I wanted to give up my life. I couldn't understand why this kind of thing was happening to me."

Jung said rumors surrounding the deaths of her husband and Choi were the hardest part.

"I thought about ending my life after writing the explanations that would clear up all the rumors."

But she said she stopped short of committing suicide because of the thought of her family.

"I knew the pain of those left behind. I didn't want my mom to suffer the same pain."

Jung reemerged on the public radar as a radio DJ for SBS' "Love FM" in April but has not yet resumed her TV career.

It is said that her husband committed suicide over his repeated failures in business and his increasing debt to loan sharks.

After the death of her husband, Jung said she was left with huge amount of debt and that her house was on the verge of being forfeited.

Jung said comedian Lee Kyung-sil and other colleagues collected money to help her overcome the financial difficulty.

"I have a bank account book which contains the names of my colleagues who wired the money. Their generosity revived my willingness and hopes to live again. It rekindled hope and a sense of responsibility," she said, shedding tears.

Jung said she did not regret marrying Ahn. "I still love Ahn Jae-hwan."

Credits : Cho Jae-hyon, Staff Reporte (chojh@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim Nam-joo awarded "Actor of the Year" by Korean government

2009122314382263486_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Nam-joo [Wellmade Star M]

Korean actress Kim Nam-joo has been awarded "Actor of the Year" by Korea's Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism, according to a press release by her agency Wellmade Star M on Wednesday.

The actress received official commendation from the government at the "2009 Motion Pictures Broadcasting Grand Prix Ceremony", held at Seoul's Press Center Wednesday afternoon. She was handed the award by Yu In-chon, a Korean veteran actor who became the head of the Ministry in 2008.

According to the event's organizing committee, Kim was selected as the winner for her successful comeback in the MBC TV series "Queen of Housewives" this year, where she portrayed a modern Korean housewife through her role as Cheon Ji-ae. The character is considered to have created a new trend among married women in terms of confidence, fashion and makeup.

"I am truly grateful for all the love I received this year," the actress was quoted as saying. She explained that she was "very scared at first" because the role required a huge transformation on her part and it was her first acting job in a long time [since marrying actor Kim Seung-woo in 2005 and giving birth to a daughter].

She went on to say, "I think 2009 was an unforgettable year for not only myself but also for my family", referring the dual success of "Housewives" and KBS2 TV series "Iris", a blockbuster drama which starred her husband Kim Seung-woo.

"Housewives", about a 30-something housewife who struggles to help her husband succeed, was a smash hit earlier this year, topping Korea's television ratings charts for three consecutive weeks.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

December 24, 2009

Actor takes to the skies for his new film

Gang Dong-won plays magician Jeon Woo Chi

23205027.jpg

Before he appeared in “Jeon Woo Chi: The

Taoist Wizard,” Gang Dong-won was known

for his roles in serious movies like “Duelist”

and “M,” but says he “had so much fun

making this movie.” By Kim Seong-ryong

‘I virtually lived up in the air for half of the eight-month production period.’

Actor Gang Dong-won has returned to the big screen with “Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard,” the first motion picture made about the legendary Korean character. The film opened in local theaters yesterday.

The movie by director Choi Dong-hoon of “The War of Flower” (2006) is based on the Korean folktale “The Tale of Jeon Woo-chi,” which is about a mischievous Taoist magician from the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910).

“I had so much fun doing this movie,” said Gang, who played the title character. “I sort of wanted to romp around, which I actually did.”

The 27-year-old is better known for his roles in serious movies like “Duelist” (2005) and “M” (2007), both by director Lee Myung-se, and he played a death-row convict in the 2006 film “Maundy Thursday” - the role that made the taciturn guy even more quiet than usual.

Gang was Choi’s top pick for the role, and the director once said that the childlike mischief behind Gang’s calm, clear-cut features would make him perfect for the part. However he also worried whether Gang would want to participate in such a “wild fantasy” movie after having established himself as a serious actor. But Gang said he was actually pleased with the idea.

“I was instantly attracted to the story, which Choi told me about when we met two years ago, featuring this character who flies around Seoul and fights off goblins - which may be because I am a big fan of animation,” said Gang.

In the initial draft, there were scenes in which Jeon goes to the North Pole and gets into a fight at Sungnyemun (also known as Namdaemun, or the Great South Gate) in Seoul. To the actor’s disappointment, however, the scenes were excluded from the final script following the release in February 2008 of the Hollywood sci-fi movie “Jumper,” which features a character flying around the world transcending time and space, and the fire that destroyed the gate that same month.

“I didn’t actually know who Jeon Woo Chi was, because you know, he’s not a traditional, historical figure in textbooks,” the actor giggled. “However, I was more drawn to the character after I realized that he is not a righteous hero, but an antihero,” he added. “During the shooting I concentrated on creating a character that people would take to.”

One of the biggest challenges Gang said he faced during the shooting period, however, was the aerial stunt work, which had him suspended from cables for long periods during the shooting of the film’s major action scenes.

“I virtually lived up in the air for about half of the eight-month production period.”

That’s no wonder, considering that about 60 percent of the scenes in the movie involve suspension work. The action scenes were filmed at high altitudes near mountains and streams but also high above locations in central Seoul, including places in Insa-dong, Cheonggye Stream and Tehranro.

“I was scared and sometimes felt nauseous - there were even times when I had to go up as high as the fifth floor of a building with just a single wire to support my body.”

Gang lost 8 kilograms (17.6 pounds) during the production period because he “shivered so much with cold and fear doing the aerial stunt work,” as he put it.

This is Gang’s seventh film and the first he expects to be commercially successful.

“My last film M was not very successful commercially,” he said. “There must have been people who invested in the film who were anticipating that I would attract profits, so I felt kind of sorry about that.”

Concern about his popularity is new for the actor, who didn’t seem interested in money or popularity in the past. Now, he has a new request for his fans: that they love him.

Credits : Ki Sun-min [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

Dec.24, 2009

Song Hye-kyo to Star in Wong Kar Wai Film

2009122400271_1.jpg

Actress Song Hye-kyo will appear in Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai's next movie "The Grand Master," her management agency Eden Nine Entertainment said on Monday.

"Song has decided to work with Wong at his suggestion, although we can't reveal what role she will play yet. Right now she is learning Cantonese and martial arts," the agency said.

The film will also star top Chinese actors such as Tony Leung, Chang Chen and Zhang Ziyi.

Wong had been wooing Song to appear in his films for several years. In 2004 he announced his wish to work with her while visiting Korea for the Pusan International Film Festival.

Shooting on "The Grand Master" will begin early next year.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com, Visit Korea

Press conference for film "No Mercy"

2009122321440606147_1.jpg

From left, director Kim Hyung-joon, actress Han Hye-jin and actors Ryu Seung-beom and Sul Kyung-gu pose during a photo session of a press conference for film "No Mercy" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on December 22, 2009. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2009122322450895962_1.jpg

Director and cast of film "No Mercy" [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: This film garnered interest because of the acting standoff between Sul Kyung-gu and Ryu Seung-beom more than anything. How would you evaluate each other's acting?

Sul Kyung-gu (Sul): The characters we each played were like water and oil -- they never become involved with each other. That's why we both spent a lot of time consumed in our own thoughts. Our roles were completely cut off from each other so after wrapping up shooting of "No Mercy," we said that next time we should try appearing in a film where we communicate well.

Ryu Seung-beom (Ryu): I saw the movie for the first time today. And I know it sounds cheesy to say this here but I thanked Sul after seeing the movie. You may call it a standoff but acting isn't like ping pong so I worried a lot on set. I was worried what the final product would look like but I think the film speaks for itself. I think a certain force from Sul, who played the role of Kang Min-ho, embraced everything.

Q: What was it like observing the relationship of the two from a third person's point of view?

Han Hye-jin (Han): They started talking less and less from the latter half of the film. They even stopped eating together. I think they were being considerate toward each other because of the thought that their friendship may interfere in concentrating on their roles.

Q: How would you rate your own acting? You took on a role as important as Sul's and Ryu's but it was your first time.

Han: I would give myself 50 points. I do tend to be stingy toward myself but I really did see a lot of flaws in my acting today.

Kim Hyung-joon (Kim): From a producer's point of view, the character Min Seo-young is a very difficult one to play. She has to be able to keep her emotions neutral because she is the one who finds important clues within the story amidst the high tension between the two male characters while having to understand Kang Min-ho's behavior since he is her teacher. She did a good job of it though. She said it was her first time shooting a movie but she immersed herself into her character right away, as if she had done this several times before.

2009122321440606147_2.jpg

Actors Sul Kyung-gu (left) and Ryu Seung-beom [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: There seem to be more people involved in the past fatal bond between Kang Min-ho and Lee Sung-ho. What's the reason Kang Min-ho is punished more severely?

Kim: I think this is an issue of perspective. Lee Sung-ho had been taking revenge on everyone involved for over ten years and I think Kang Min-ho was his last target. I guess I would have shown the process if this was sort of a drama.

Q: The film looks like a thriller on the outside but the ending to the film leaves more of a frustration rather than a relief from the case getting solved.

Sul: Amongst ourselves, we called the film a drama designed like a thriller. If any of you see this as a thriller, it means you took a step back and looked at it from a very objective point of view. "No Mercy" is more of a film where you follow the story by assimilating to the characters. Regardless of whoever's steps you follow -- whether it be Kang Min-ho's, Lee Sung-ho's or Min Seo-young's -- you'll have fun.

Q: You're usually an actor who is good at playing comical roles but you took on a very serious film this time. Is there anything you were aiming for?

Ryu: For me personally, regardless of the film, it's all part of a singular process so I don't stress over having to prove anything new. And I'm not saying that I'm doing a rough job of it without any goal. I personally like laughing, films that can make people laugh and making people laugh with my acting. But there are also films like this one. I came off as a scary murderer because I took on this film, not because I had a certain determination.

Q: What is the meaning of 'mercy' that you wanted to portray through this film?

Kim: I think it's something you cannot execute if you do not stand in the other person's shoes. When I was writing the scenario and shooting the film, I wanted to place Kang Min-ho and Lee Sung-ho on level circumstances so that the audience could sympathize with them. I leveled every scene in the end where Kang Min-ho and Lee Sung-ho's emotions appear. I think the audience will be able to think about the meaning of mercy by taking both of their emotions into consideration.

2009122321440606147_3.jpg

Actress Han Hye-jin (left) and director Kim Hyung-joon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

[PREVIEW]

SBS TV series "Jejungwon"

2009122416192105158_1.jpg

From left, SBS TV series "Jejungwon" main cast Park Yong-woo, Han Hye-jin and Yeon Jung-hoon pose during a

photo session of a press conference held at the SBS building in Seoul, South Korea on December 23, 2009. [sBS]

SBS Monday & Tuesday TV series "Jejungwon"

Scenarist: Lee Ki-won

Producer: Hong Chang-wook

Cast: Park Yong-woo, Yeon Jung-hoon, Han Hye-jin, etc

Premieres January 4, 2010 at 10 P.M.

It seems that SBS TV series "Jejungwon" should lable itself more as a medical drama rather than a historical drama. And it is not just because its scenarist Lee Ki-won had written MBC's hit medical series "White Tower" or because the story revolves around Jejungwon, South Korea's first hospital which used Western medicine during the latter era of the Joseon Dynasty. A video containing a preview of "Jejungwon" shown at a press conference held Wednesday, focused most of its story on medicine -- a life-long rivalry exists between Yeon Jung-hoon and Park Yong-woo, who play the role of doctors at Jejungwon in the drama, because of several surgical operations which split their fates while one's mother and the other's father are both in situations where they cannot receive proper medical treatment. "Jejungwon" seems to aim at portraying the lives of various people who were exposed to Western medicine during the late Joseon Dynasty. And viewers who thought the drama was about a doctor who practiced medicine in such early days, may be shocked seeing the close-to-brutally realistic scenes of surgeries or dissections. It will be interesting to see how Lee Ki-won plays out a medical drama within a historical setting during times which Lee called "a hybrid between old and new civilizations and old and new ways of thinking".

Points for expectation: 9

"A production which will be able to overcome the inferiority of historical dramas stemming from defeat," an SBS official at the press conference said of his expectations of "Jejungwon". The preview video truly did show a level of perfection possibly high enough to save SBS' reputation which had been marred for several years on the failure of its past historical dramas. Tension was well delivered in a scene of a surgery where the medical staff use instruments from the Joseon Dynasty and incidents before and after a surgery which helps to expand the story between characters, had a force which sucked in the audience. Both Yeon and Park's acting is also praiseworthy. But the largest expectation for "Jejungwon" lies in its presentation. Producer Hong Chang-wook tactfully creates scenes ranging from the brutally realistic to close-to-surreal. "Jejungwon" will be considered a well-made historical drama if it maintains its high level of completion throughout its actual airing.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

"WOOCHI" sets box office record on opening day

2009122414113021791_1.jpg

Movie poster for "Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard" [CJ Entertainment]

Korean movie "WOOCHI" set a Korean box office record on its opening day, according to the film's distributor CJ Entertainment on Thursday.

The movie -- shown on 597 screens around the country -- attracted 201,682 viewers on December 23, the highest opening-day figure set by a Korean movie which opened this year.

It surpasses the opening-day admission records previously set in July by "Take Off" and the year's biggest blockbuster "Haeundae", which drew 120,000 and 194,000 viewers, respectively.

"The biggest advantage of 'WOOCHI' is that it's a family movie and that it is dominating local markets around the country," said Kim Hyung-ho, executive at ticket reservation site Maxmovie. Kim further explained that ticket reservation rate was the highest among people in their teens and in their 40s, which seemingly indicates that parents and children are making reservations together.

"WOOCHI" is a fantasy action hero movie about a young Taoist from the Chosun Dynasty who gets locked into a painting with his dog. He and the dog must fight the goblins in 2009 in exchange for their freedom.

The film, which stars Kang Dong-won, Kim Yoon-seok and Im Soo-jeong, was directed and produced by director Choi Dong-hoon, famous for "The War Of Flower" and "The Big Swindle".

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Jang Dong-gun to undergo knee surgery next year

2009122415121519169_1.jpg

Korean actor Jang Dong-gun [Asia Economic Daily]

Hallyu star Jang Dong-gun is scheduled to undergo knee surgery early next year, according to his agency on Thursday.

An official at AM Entertainment explained that the actor will have surgery "sometime around January or February" on his left knee, which he injured while shooting the 2004 blockbuster film "Taegukgi ".

The actor reportedly complained of being in pain while shooting action scenes or doing high-intensity workouts although he does not have much problem with daily activities. He had reportedly been planning to have the surgery since wrapping up "Good Morning President" and his Hollywood debut film "Warrior's Way".

Jang, one of Korea's top actors who starred in numerous television dramas and movies, made headlines in November after admitting to his two-year romantic relationship with Korean actress Ko So-young. The two stars have long sparked dating rumors since they appeared together in 1999 film "Love Wind, Love Song" but it was not until last month that they officially announced their status as a couple.

He is set to start shooting on a new film by Korean filmmaker Kang Je-gyu -- who directed Jang in "Taegukgi" -- next year.

12-24-2009

'Iris' Spawning Ugly Sequel

091224_p15_iris.jpg

TV personality

Kang Byung-kyu

Prodution Crew Member Files Complaint Against Kang Byung-kyu

KBS2 TV's action-packed ``Iris'' finished its 20-episode first series last week, but is spawning an ugly sequel in the real world, with the production crew and TV personality Kang Byung-kyu filing complaints against each other for alleged assault.

A crew member for the production company, Taewon Entertainment, filed a counter-complaint Friday against Kang, alleging the baseball pitcher-turned-TV host and one of his colleagues assaulted him, Taewon said.

In the complaint, the employee, identified as Chun, claimed that he was beaten by Kang and another man during the scuffle at a shooting location last week and had two of his teeth broken and received injuries that will take five weeks to heal.

The brawl was related to the scandal involving Iris star Lee Byung-hun and his former girlfriend, Kwon, a former Canadian gymnast. Kang has been dragged into the scandal as rumors have circulated that he instigated Lee's ex-girlfriend to file a damages suit against the Iris hero.

Kang has said he is the victim not the instigator, filing a complaint with the police against Taewon's president for assault and abetting violence.

Kang says he visited the filming location on Dec. 14 to explain his position concerning the rumors and his involvement in the scandal but there he was beaten for 20-30 minutes by crew members and gangsters wielding baseball bats, sustaining injuries that will need three weeks to heal.

However, Taewon is denying the allegations. ``At the location, a man in his early 50s, abetted by Kang, hit me in the face and legs more than 13 times,'' Chun said in the complaint. ``Kang is distorting the truth and lying.''

Police started to investigate the case on Dec. 17 after speculation surfaced that both Kang and Taewon Entertainment hired gangsters amid a standoff over the rumors that Kang has been behind the scandal surrounding Lee and Kwon.

Kwon filed a suit against Lee, claiming that he lured her into having sex under the pretense of marriage. Lee has also filed a complaint against Kwon for defamation.

Credits : Cho Jae-hyon,Staff Reporter (chojh@koreatimes.co.kr)

12-24-2009

Actors Show 'No Mercy' for Vengeance

091224_p10_.jpg

Actors Sul Kyoung-gu, left, and Ryu Seung-bum star in “No Mercy,” a new

crime thriller about a forensic specialist who is blackmailed into tampering with

autopsy results in a dismemberment murder case./Courtesy of Cinema Service

``No Mercy’’ opens the New Year box office with a slice of gruesome cadaver-cutting and a dash of heart-thumping chases. Obviously, this murder story is no firework event for families.

In the past, the normative formula for box office success had been period epics or action-packed stories highlighting the North-South Korean divide. But lately the focus has shifted to medium-budget, crafty crime thrillers featuring unexpected endings that slap you in the face.

Thrills once rooted in ruthless psychopathic terror lately began to take a more dramatic spin with sympathy-provoking homicides, throwing big moral questions into a murky gray zone. ``No Mercy’’ takes the latter to extremes; this tale of revenge may not be as visionary as ``Oldboy’’ but it certainly is a match in terms of shock factor.

Indeed, ``it’s so violent, it’s tragic,’’ just as described by first-time director Kim Hyung-joon.

Moreover, the two lead actors, Sul Kyoung-gu and Ryu Seung-bum, harness their animalistic acting instincts to artistic ends, creating characters that feel intensely alive and even covering for glitches in the movie.

Sul casts off his usual disheveled image to play the cool, suave and adept forensic pathologist, Dr. Kang. He is about to wrap up his work in order to spend time with his daughter, who finally returns home after a long stint overseas. When a beautiful young woman is found butchered into six parts by a river, with an arm missing, Kang is beckoned for one last job.

Han Hye-jin makes her big screen debut as Min, a rookie detective whose keen wits and undying enthusiasm narrow down the investigation, which points to Lee Seong-ho (Ryu) as the primary suspect.

Lee, a respected environmental activist, confidently admits his guilt, saying that he committed the crime in order to oppose constructions that would divide a local river into six parts (hence the six body parts). But ``No Mercy’’ does not stop short of being a spinoff of ``Se7en.’’

The police become baffled as clues keep contradicting Lee’s guilt, however, while Kang’s beloved daughter is kidnapped. Kang realizes that the abduction is related to Lee; Lee offers to prevent his child from being killed in return for vindication. Kang starts tampering with autopsy results but senses that Lee has other intentions.

The movie is initially reminiscent of thrillers in which the protagonist stands at a crossroads between professional integrity and personal interest such as ``Seven Days’’ or ``Secret.’’ But subsequent climactic blows ― though including some rather unnecessary scenes of provocative violence ― prove to be but an appetizer to a mind-blowing finale.

``No Mercy’’ commands every ounce of one’s attention. The convoluted plotline and dragged out middle section fatigue the mind at times, but the leading men keep things edgy.

Sul’s emotions rollercoaster from panic to agony in a performance that is as memorable as ``Peppermint Candy.’’ Ryu, on the other hand, makes an impressive rite of passage into his 30s with nothing more than a quizzical facial expression; he is neither the heartless psychopath nor a hysterical vengeance-ridden killer. Even before his dark secrets begin to surface he inspires goose bumps with a subtle eeriness.

However, the most haunting part begins after the story comes to an end, as the viewer is left alone to contemplate the line between retributive justice and vengeance that ironically stems from compassion.

In theaters Jan. 7, 2010. Distributed by Cinema Service

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

2009-12-25

Choi Min-soo returns to small screen

200912240050.jpg

For a moment, it looked like Choi Min-soo might stay in the mountains for eternity, and morph into an enlightened sage of sorts.

But there the "Hourglass" star sat, at a press conference on Tuesday, discussing his new role, his return, to acting, at his first major press event since he left for the mountains nearly a year and eight months ago.

After receiving press last year for an alleged assault case (he was acquitted of all charges), a lawsuit over performance wages and his decision to live in the mountains, Choi, it seems, took to his Walden Pond-esque solitude, and stayed, he revealed, for around a year and a half in the wilderness.

Aside from reports in May that he was cast in a Hollywood film, an action piece called "Serpent Rising," Choi remained off the radar until news broke that not only was he reportedly cast in an MBC drama slated to air next year, but that he would be playing the title role in a two-part SBS year-end special, set to air in late-December.

The underlying question, then, waiting on the tip of everyone's tongue, was "Why return now, after so long, to this project?"

The project, of course, was SBS' "Father's House," the special for which Choi Min-soo and cast attended a three-hour press conference (87 minutes of which was devoted to a preview screening). Hair neatly clipped, dressed in a demure black suit, the 46-year old actor answered questions in a low, gravelly voice.

"I wasn't resting. I did it because it was a good project."

So, why pick this particular work?

"My wife, June Kang, recommended it. That is the singular reason behind why I chose this work," he said.

"That accounts for 99 percent of my decision. The remaining 1 percent was you."

"The remaining 1 percent was my mother-in-law, who is in Canada," he revised his answer, seemingly all in good fun.

When asked if he thought about acting during the year and a half spent in the wild, he said in a voice that betrayed no hint as to whether he was in earnest or if he was joking: "Since I do not think when I act, I did not think about acting while I was in the mountains."

Yet Choi seemed perfectly earnest when he said: "When I do this kind of work, I deliberately do not monitor it. Actually, I didn't want to see this screening because tomorrow is the last day of filming."

While Choi fielded questions, Choi's wife, former Miss Korea June Kang, and their two sons waited in the back of room.

Whenever he referred to Kang, she smiled back from across the seats, a silent and staunch cheerleader. Their two sons - despite having to sit through over two hours of photos, preview footage and interviews - showed no signs of fatigue.

The presence of his family at the press conference highlighted Choi's role as a father, something that his co-star, veteran actor Baek Il-sub, noticed when working with Choi on "Father's House": "For the first time, I thought, 'Ah, Choi Min-soo is a father too.'"

Judging from the preview screening, the dad in "Father's House" cuts a sorrowful and tragic figure, crippled by hard living and serious sacrifices. His life, as artfully described by its director Kim Soo-ryong, is depicted through the houses from which he views the world throughout the various stages of his existence.

The houses are somewhat allegorical, at times taking on the form of a tree, at others, having no more substance than a mere dream of a perfect place.

The strange aspect of this film lies in its underlying tint of hope, the hope of a father for his son, the dreams he lays down upon his child, despite the fact that he himself, damaged by suffering and age, seems to face nothing more than a desolate future, destined to end in solitude.

"This can be seen as an orthodox work of realism," said Kim.

Yet Kim assured reporters that the actual special itself is not devoid of humor: "There are lots of funny and fun scenes."

"Father's House" airs on SBS on Monday from 8:50 p.m. to 11:10 p.m.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

2009-12-24

Bae Doo-na Wins Japanese Best Actress Award for ‘Air Doll’

On Dec. 23, Bae Doo-na’s entertainment agency announced that Bae has won the Japanese Academy's best actress award for her role in "Air Doll."

7240_711_l.jpg

The agency stated that Bae won the award for best actress in a leading role given by the Japanese Academy, which has the highest authority in the Japanese film industry. The award ceremony will be held on March 5, 2010.

As a consequence, Bae joins five other best actress award winners as nominees for the very best actress in a leading role award.

The agency also stated that Bae is the first person to win the Japanese academy award not only as a Korean actress, but also as a foreign actor/actress performing in Japanese films.

The Japanese Academy chooses five best awards/persons in each main category, and then on the day of the Japanese Academy Awards, the winner of the very best award for each category is selected among the five winners of the best awards.

Awards for the best actress in a leading role were given to Bae along with Ahyase Haruka, Herosye Ryoko, Masta Gagoo, and Miyajaki Ahyoyee. They will compete for the award of very best actress in a leading role.

"Air Doll," the second Japanese movie for Bae, was released on Sep. 26 in Japan, and whole movie theaters were sold out of tickets in fifteen days. A huge hit, the movie played for a long time and the number of movie screens was expanded from 30 to 53. This rarely happens in cases of art films such as "Air Doll."

Source : KBS GLOBAL

Lee Jung-jae still in talks for film "The Housemaid"

2009122417090796949_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Jung-jae [Yedang Entertainment]

Korean actor Lee Jung-jae is reconsidering his decision to appear in Jeon Do-yeon film "The Housemaid", agency Yedang Entertainment said a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Thursday.

Yedang explained that although Lee had initially considered doing the film, he is currently "negotiating the details at the request of the producers" and that "a final decision will be made soon."

The film's producer Miro Vision also confirmed today that "nothing has been set" regarding Lee's participation in the movie.

"Housemaid", a remake of a 1960s classic film of the same title, is about a middle-class family breaking apart when the husband has an affair with the maid. Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon has been cast as the housemaid while Seo Woo, from the critically acclaimed film "Paju", will play the wife whose husband is cheating on her.

The thriller film will be helmed by Korean filmmaker Im Sang-soo, who has written and directed many hit movies including "The General's Son", "A Good Lawyer's Wife" and his directorial debut "Girls' Night Out".

"Housemaid", set for release early next year, will start shooting next month as soon as a male lead signs on.

Dec.24, 2009

Song Il-kook Wins Damages Over False Assault Claim

2009122400488_0.jpg

Song Il-kook

Song Il-kook has won a suit against a journalist who claimed the actor assaulted her.

The Seoul Central District Court on Wednesday ruled the woman must pay Song W100 million (US$1=W1,184). He had sued for W500 million.

"Since I'm a celebrity it was a tough fight for me," Song said. "But I insisted on bringing the case to court to reveal the truth." He pledged to give the entire damages to charity.

The journalist was already sentenced to eight months in prison in a criminal case on Nov. 12 for falsely claiming that Song assaulted her last year while she was waiting in front of his house to interview him.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Dec.24, 2009

SIFF's top award won by director KWON Woo-jung

Director KWON WOO-jung's documentary about female farmers Earth's Women received Seoul Independent Film Festival's (SIFF) grand prize. The award and the accompanying cash prize of KRW 15 million were awarded on 18 December in Northern Seoul.

First prize award and KRW 1 million went to director HONG Hyung-sook's The Border City 2. Director CHO Sung-hee won the excellence award for the film Don't Step Out of House.

In the independent star awards section, the actor awards went to LEE Chae-eun (Dear Sujin) and SEO Jun-young (Eighteen). The audience award was won by the film Turn It Up to 11 by director BAEK Seung-hwa. The film is about the joyous daily life of an indie band.

Earth's Women follows young female farmers who dream of spearheading a peasant movement. The three fellow university students in the countryside are documented during one year. Previously, Old Partner - another Korean documentary about farmers – became the most successful independent film and even topped the box office.

Credits : Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

Dec.24, 2009

Mother, Treeless Mountain are Spirit Nominees

Two South Korean films have been nominated at the 25th anniversary edition of the Spirit Awards, to be held at the L.A. Live venue in downtown L.A. and broadcast live on IFC (Independent Film Channel), March 4, at 8pm.

BONG Joon-ho's crime-drama Mother is nominated in the Best Foreign Film category among four other nominees from Chile, France, the U.K. and Sweden. Treeless Mountain, by Korean-American director KIM So-yong, was nominated in two categories: Best Cinematography (for DOP, Anne Misawa) and the John Cassavetes Award, given to the best feature made for under $500,000.

Presented by the indie film organization Film Independent, the event takes place annually around Oscar time, and is this year to be executive-produced by Richard Clark Prods., the force behind the Golden Globes awards.

Credits : Nigel D'Sa (KOFIC)

Dec.24, 2009

Korean Movie Nights in New York

A weekly series of Korean movies, organized by the Korean Cultural Services is coming to New York. Showing at the Tribeca Cinemas, the series will focus on Korean independent features. The industry of late has been somewhat shaken up by a number of seemingly unknown low budget, independents that have risen up and taken their place at multiplexes across the country. The series will profile some of these features that have all so triumphed abroad.

Most notably, playing on the 23rd of January is Breathless (2009) directed by and staring YANG Ik-june. The film has had an impressive run, racking up awards at Rotterdam, Vladivostok, the Fantastic Festival and more recently at FILMEX in Tokyo. It has also played at the Barcelona Asian Film Festival, the Deauville Asian Film festival and the Reel Asian Film Festival in Toronto. Daytime Drinking (2008) directed by NO Young-seok will also get its day in the sun, again, after winning at Locarno and playing at the Hong Kong International Film Festival and the Copenhagen Film Festival. Daytime Drinking will play January the 12th. In its North American premiere is Members of the Funeral about a group of people who come to a dead boy’s funeral and talk about what he meant to them. The film, directed by BAEK Seung-bin, will play January the 26th. In addition, Beautiful, the first feature by JUHN Jai-Hong will make its New York premiere at the series.

The Korean Cultural Service, created in 1979, uses culture and academia to foster Korean and U.S. relations. The new movie series is being bought to New Yorkers free of charge by the Service.

Credits : David Oxenbridge (KOFIC)

12-25-2009

Recent Books

091225_p15_book1.jpg

My Last Gift to Her

Kim Young-kyun; Gimmyoung Publishing: 300 pp., 12,000 won

When actress Jang Jin-young died of cancer in September, many fans were sad not only about her death at a young age, but also over her love story.

She was known to have wed and registered the marriage four days prior to her death. She and her husband Kim Young-kyun wed in Las Vegas in July; and finally he talks about his love for her in a new book.

``My Last Gift to Her’’ reveals the 608-day love story between the two. He shares his private thoughts and memories by recalling their first meeting, blossoming love and her devastating stomach cancer diagnosis and treatments, and his heartbreak over her death. The book carries photos of their wedding, travels and daily lives showing happy times with each other.

``Jin-young was a promising actress before she became my wife. I hope she will be remembered as a beautiful movie star forever,’’ he said in the prologue.

He said that the reason he released the book was to share her goodwill with readers to help needy people and to tell other patients like her not to resort to unproven treatments and instead prepare for their last minutes with their loved ones.

Credits : Chung Ah-young

091225_p15_book2.jpg

Global Trends for the Next Three Years

Kim Sang-hoon and Biz Trend; Hans Media: 341 pp., 13,000 won

Kim Sang-hoon, a professor at Seoul National University, teamed up with Biz Trend, an organization that tracks trends in the business world, to publish ``Global Trends for the Next Three Years.’’ The book introduces 45 keywords that they believe will significantly impact the world over the next three years.

The book lays out trends in five different areas: economy and management; consumption; society; culture and technology.

The author states that it is not the trends that are important, but the opportunities they bring to people.

Taking culture, for instance, the writer points to the Asian wave trend that has hit the world. The Korean medical book ``Donguibogam’’ was included on UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register this year, while the number of Westerners who enjoy eating sushi is increasing. Asia has hit the world and, according to the book, it still has a lot to offer.

Although it’s hard to pinpoint the exact trends that will dominate our minds and hearts in the future, ``Global Trends of Next Three Years’’ certainly helps in getting a head start.

Credits : Han Sang-hee

091225_p15_book3.jpg

Eddie the Eggcup

Stephen Prior; Global Network of Culture (GNC) Media: 61 pp. each: 9,500 won each

Stephen Prior is an Australian who has worked internationally as an art director, designer and creative director for several leading advertising agencies. His passion for storytelling and love of design have given birth to an adorable eggless eggcup called Eddie.

``Eddie the Eggcup’’ consists of seven volumes which ooze simple but cheerful images of the characters, using vivid colors such as red, yellow, blue, green and orange.

Each volume has a connected story about a baby eggcup called Eddie who is born ``eggless.’’ He is the only eggcup without an egg but is happy until he recognizes he is different from others when he goes to school. While he grows up, he realizes what ``being eggless’’ means to him in the world. Eddie travels to fill his cup looking for the right egg. But he faces harsh realities in finding the right one. Eddie finally realizes that he can shine just as he is now, as everybody loves Eddie without an egg.

The book series is not only good for learning English but also for inspiring children to develop creative thinking and learn how to search for their identity.

Credits : Chung Ah-young

091225_p15_book4.jpg

Stories of the Film Archives

Oh Seong-ji; Korean Film Archive: 176 pp., 8,000 won

Film archives are filled with problematic film clips that are missing titles and/or traceable routes of how they got there. It is the film archivist’s job to put together pieces of the puzzle that determine the histories of the clips.

The Korean Film Archive presents the eighth of its Film Story series in which the author _ an archivist, programmer and film museum curator at the Korean Film Archive _ shares what it’s like to answer to the call of ``an old 35 millimeter movie print, wearing a slightly sour odor, that whispers, `I’m here.’’’

The pocket-sized book is quite thorough in content and will come in handy to those interested in film studies and archives. In particular, the book’s personal tone, which highlights the archivist’s passion for his job, makes it an interesting read.

As the author was trained in Korea and the United States, the book focuses mainly on film archives from Korea and the West. It begins with a historical sketch of the world’s first archives, founded some 70 years ago in Berlin, New York, Paris and London.

It includes sections on film and film preservation terminology; a directory of major archives around the world; and a bibliography of recommended books on the topic.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won

Dec.24, 2009

PIFF Founder and Director Receives UNESCO Award

Pusan International Film Festival founder and director KIM Dong-ho has just received the UNESCO Fellini Medal awarded to notable figures that have made a significant impact on international cinema. KIM Dong-ho, well known at home and around the world, has received other similar cultural awards such as the Deauville City Medal, an award from the French government and others nationally and internationally. In addition, he has served on international film festival juries including Venice, Las Palmes, India and Buenos Aires. Back home he has served as the vice minister in the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, was the president of the Seoul Arts Center and the Korean Film Council(formerly Korean Motion Picture Promotion Corporation) and even published his own book Korean Cinema Policy (2005)

Significantly, he is known around Asia not just through the success of Pusan but for the Network for Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC). In addition, the Pusan Promotion Plan (PPP) has also become a driving force bringing new directors and their films to the international stage. As such, the Director General of UNESCO Koïchiro Matsuura recognized the festival for it’s, “contribution, in the Republic of Korea, Asia and beyond, to the safeguarding of cultural diversity through cinema, notably for the younger generation, and to the promotion of Asian film in the world."

The Pusan International Festival of which KIM Dong-ho formed in 1996 has become the most significant international film festival in Asia. The festival focuses on new directors especially those from the Asia region.

Credits : David Oxenbridge (KOFIC)

12-27-2009

2010 Korean Cinema Lineup

091227_p16_1.jpg

Movies slated for release in 2010 in-

clude period pictures. Above is the

poster for Lee Jun-ik's "Gureumeul

Beoseonan Dalcheoreom (Like the

Moon that Escaped the Cloud),

starring Hwang Jung-min.

The past year represented hope and revitalization for Korean cinema. While problems such as piracy linger on, the forecast for 2010 cinema appears promising with diverse projects in the making.

Cineastes are finding inspiration from the past and are bringing remakes of Korean classics as well as unique period movies. Big action flicks are gearing up for the 60th anniversary of the Korean War (1950-53) while much-anticipated sequels will cater to fans. Furthermore, a couple of Hollywood projects will head here for shoots.

2009 in Review

Both commercial blockbusters and unique indie films pulled the industry out of a three-year slump and cineastes made their mark near and far.

Kim Choung-ryoul's documentary ``Old Partner'' rewrote box-office history for the genre, while Yang Ik-june's ``Breathless'' made waves by sweeping almost two dozen prizes at international festivals. Park Chan-ok's low-budget drama ``Paju'' was well-received among critics and moviegoers and the micro-budget road movie ``Daytime Drinking'' gained popularity near and far.

The positivity peaked in the summer. The success of the sports movie ``Take-Off'' fed directly into the big-time box office scores set by the tsunami blockbuster ``Haeundae,'' which drew over 10 million audience members in Korea for the first time in three years since ``The Host'' in 2006.

Stars shined strongly through the big screen. Korean actors debuted in foreign works, most notably Lee Byung-hun in ``G.I. Joe'' and Rain in ``Ninja Assassin,'' while Kim Myung-min made headlines for shedding 20 kilograms for his role in ``Closer to Heaven.''

Celebrity directors also made long-awaited returns. Park Chan-wook revisited the Cannes Festival with his vampire flick ``Thirst'' while Bong Joon-ho made a splash with the thriller ``Mother.''

On the flip side, illegal online distributions of ``Haeundae,'' before its release in Chinese theaters, and of ``Thirst,'' before DVD sales opened in the United States, led to big financial blows and signaled the red light on piracy. The country's top stars, including Jang Dong-gun and Kim Tae-hee, stepped up as representatives for the anti-piracy campaign: "Good Downloader."

Meanwhile, imported 3D movies tapped into the local theater market. While the number of theaters catering to the genre remains relatively small, there seems to be growing reception for 3D films. Animations such as ``Monster vs. Aliens'' and ``Up'' drew family audiences while ``Avatar,'' new in theaters, has drawn over 1 million audiences in the shortest timeframe among 2009 films.

2010 Forecast

Back to Classics

During Korean cinema's Golden Age of the 1960s, well over 100 films rolled out per year (more than 200 from 1968 to 1969), and cineastes are finding inspiration in films from that time. Classics never go out of style, and next year, ``The Housemaid'' (1960) and ``Manchu'' (1966) will be reborn as modern reinterpretations.

091227_p16_2.jpg

Kim Ki-young's psychological thriller ``The Housemaid'' fetes its 50th anniversary next year with the remake by Im Sang-soo. Award-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon will play the film's lead character, a housemaid who becomes entangled in a dangerous love triangle with a middle class couple. It's slated for release in May.

The upcoming reinterpretation of Lee Man-hee's ``Manchu'' will bring together top Asian stars, hallyu heartthrob Hyun Bin and Chinese actress Tang Wei, who is best known as the heroine of Ang Lee's ``Lust, Caution.'' The joint Korea-United States project will be directed by Kim Tae-yong (``Family Ties") and will be set in the U.S. Kim Ki-young based his 1975 film ``Promises'' on ``Manchu,'' while Kim Su-yong also made a version of the film in 1981.

Another whiff of the past comes through Yoon Jeong-hee, a top star in the 1960s. She will return to the big screen after a 16-year hiatus in ``Si'' (Poem) by Lee Chang-dong, former culture minister and director of ``Secret Sunshine.'' The movie is about a woman in her mid-60s who, while raising her teenage grandson, makes her first attempt at composing poetry. It is scheduled for release in May.

Tradition Prevails

The popularity of exotic period movies is expected to continue. Kim Dae-woo, who mixed modern humor with Joseon Kingdom (1391-1910) palace life in ``Forbidden Quest,'' finds inspiration in the folk tale ``Chunhyang'' for a modern rendition called ``Bang-ja Jeon'' (Bang-ja Chronicles). It will star top talents Kim Ju-hyuk, Ryu Seung-beom and Cho Yeo-jung.

``The King and the Clown'' director Lee Jun-ik returns with an action-packed Joseon-era piece, ``Gureumeul Beoseonan Dalcheoreom'' (Like the Moon that Escaped the Cloud). Actor Hwang Jung-min stars as a legendary blind swordsman opposite Cha Seung won, who plays a revolutionary.

Master director Im Kwon-taek will present his 101st film, ``Dalbit Gireo Oligi'' (Scooping Up the Moonlight), about the art of making ``hanji'' or Korean traditional paper. Starring award-winning actress Kang Soo-yeon, the movie is due to premiere at the Jeonju International Film Festival in April.

Korean War in Memoriam

Next year marks the 60th anniversary of the Korean War and big budget action flicks boasting male bravado are in tow. ``Pohwa Sogeuro'' (In the Crossfire), to open in theaters in June, will depict a 12-hour conflict that ensued between 71 student soldiers and a North Korean troop along the Nakdong River. Directed by Lee Jae-han, the film boasts a star-studded male cast, including T.O.P., a member of the K-pop band Big Bang; Kwon Sang-woo; Cha Seung-won; and Kim Seung-woo.

091227_p16_3.jpg

Director Kim Yeo-bing will bring ``The Red Muffler 2,'' which is virtually a sequel to the famous 1964 Shin Sang-ok film about pilots during the Korean War. The grandson of the lead actor of the classic film will star in the movie. Plans are for an October release.

Meanwhile, the 2002 maritime conflict between the two Koreas near Yeonpyeong Island has inspired two films: ``Areumdaun Uri'' (Beautiful Us) and ``Yeonpyeong Haejeon'' (Yeonpyeong Naval Battle). The first film, directed by ``Friend'' helmer Kwak Kyoung-taek, is scheduled to go into production in March for a year-end release as a 20-billion-won 3D film. The latter movie, directed by Baek Un-hak (``Tube''), is a 12-billion-won project that will open in theaters in May.

Star Directors, Actors

Kang Woo-suk, who appeared as a producer this year with ``Baekyahaeng'' (Walking the White Night), will return as a director with ``Ikki'' (Moss). The ``Public Enemy'' series helmsman has based his new thriller on the eponymous Web cartoon series by Yoon Tae-ho. Popular actors Park Hae-il and Jung Jae-young star in the movie, about a hermetic rural village harboring secrets. It is slated for release in the first half of 2010.

Na Hong-jin, who made a name for himself through the 2008 hit film ``The Chaser,'' teams up with his former male leads, Ha Jung-woo and Kim Yoon-seok, in another thriller, ``The Murderer.'' Ha plays the role of a Korean-Chinese hit man who himself becomes a target of another hit man. The 11-billion-won project is targetting a summer release.

Kim Ji-woon (``Bittersweet Life'') will offer fans a horror thriller, ``Ayeoldaeui Bam'' (Night in the Subtropics). ``Old Boy'' star Choi Min-sik will play the role of a vengeful man who sets out to catch the psychopath who killed his fiancee.

Song Hae-sung, who directed ``Maundy Thursday,'' will remake the 1986 Hong Kong noir flick ``A Better Tomorrow'' starring heartthrobs Song Seung-hun, Joo Jin-mo and Kim Kang-woo.

``Il Mare's '' Lee Hyun-seung has cast actors Song Kang-ho and Kim Seung-woo in ``Bamangae'' (Night Mist).

The dominance of testosterone-driven films, however, means not-so-great news for productions of melodrama and for actresses. The makers of ``Sinaro Project,'' a romantic comedy, are reportedly having difficulty casting male actors, many of whom are already tied up with other projects.

Sequels

Moviegoers can look forward to sequels of box office hits. Kim Sang-jin's ``Attack the Gas Station'' starring Yoo Ji-tae drew in 2.4 viewers in 1999. Kim will handle the megaphone for the second installment, which will star younger actors, including Ji Hyun-woo and Jo Han-sun. It is touted for release in January.

The culinary comic book-turned-hit film ``Le Grand Chef'' (Shikgaek) will also be followed by a sequel dubbed ``Kimchi War.'' Jin Gu, who received critical acclaim for his supporting role in ``Mother,'' will star as an aspiring chef who competes to make kimchi against his Japanese counterparts. It will open in theaters in February.

Also awaiting fans are sequels to the 2008 teen slasher ``Death Bell'' and the 2006 tearjerker ``Hearty Paws."

Hollywood in Korea

Next year the country will be host to not only local projects but also Hollywood films. Erin Brevig, who directed last year's computer graphics-packed ``Journey to the Center of the Earth,'' will direct a big-budget 3D film about the Korean War, said Madmedia. The script is set to be ready by early next year and preproduction is to be completed by October. The shooting is scheduled to begin here around November. Brevig is said to have been inspired after watching Kang Je-gyu's Korean War blockbuster ``Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War.'' It is slated for release in 2012.

Another Tinseltown venture that will find its way to Korea is an American remake of the local horror movie ``Phone.'' Imprint Entertainment, which produced the ``Twilight'' saga, drew up a budget of $10 million for the project, Miro Vision, the Korean leg of the project, recently announced at a press conference. The filming will begin in Korea during the second half of 2010 for a 2011 release.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Archived