10 years since the death of NRG member, Kim Hwan Sung

Guest kangtagreen27

Guest kangtagreen27

Feb.14.1981 - Jun.15.2000 (age of 19)
We may cry about our favorite idols breaking up or leaving the group, but that is barely a drop in the bucket in comparison to the pain NRG fans and HwanSung lovers went through. May this thread bring light upon those who knew NRG and HwanSung, for they had experience such a great sadness. And may this thread inform the new fans of Kpop an important incident in Kpop history. Along with H.O.T., CLON, and Baby VOX, NRG played a huge part in building the foundation of Hallyu within China and Taiwan. Enjoy the pictures & videos and don't forget to leave a post.

YouTube videos (thank you to uploaders)

|
|
| |

Goodbye My Friend & ANTONIO, written & composed by NRG member, Chun MyungHoon, for HwanSung

English translation of ANTONIO - courtesy of Aheeyah.com

lp.jpg

untitled_24.jpg

1-1.jpg

50-shdba1420.jpg

448fb9af95186.jpg2001.jpg

060402_yong.jpg

aaaa.jpgaaaaa.jpg

6_16.jpg7_2_6.jpg7_7.jpg10_3.jpg11_9.jpg12_4.jpg25m4flkf.jpg28-3-9213_NRG2.jpg30.jpgcssc.jpgnrg4.jpgnrg622.jpgnrg637.jpgnrg1999.jpgsfgdhfj.jpg

SPECIAL THANKS to Yunihiko of DTH for the pictures

(credits also on pictures)

Death of Kim Hwan Sung

Shortly after wrapping up their third album activities, member Hwan Sung was hospitalized for a high fever and abdominal pains. Doctors were initially unsure of what was causing his illness and over a span of 6 days his health rapidly deteriorated. Hwan Sung was diagnosed with malignant viral pneumonia, eventually lapsing into a coma and placed on life support when doctors pronounced him brain dead. As he lay in the Intensive Care Unit, his band mates sat in disbelief and prayed for a healthy recovery, but after much anguish, Hwan Sung's parents decided to remove him from life support.

Surrounded by his family and band mates, Kim Hwan Sung died at dawn on June 15, 2000 at the age of 19 years, survived by his parents and older sister.

Hwan Sung was cremated on June 17, his funeral was attended by thousands of fans and other popular Korean musical acts of the time, in particular the KPop group H.O.T. who were NRG's closest friends.

In 2001, NRG held their first concert in Korea in August paying tribute to Hwan Sung by performing "Good Bye My Friend" and "Antonio" (Hwan Sung's nickname) which was written and composed by Myung Hoon.

- courtesy of wikipedia

H.O.T.'s Moon HeeJun's 5th album (10.2000) thank you: Tore my heart the most for my whole life's Hwan Sungee (pray that to go to a good place).

H.O.T.'s KangTa's 5th album (10.2000) thank you: And where I am at right now, cheering for me in somewhere much better's Hwan Sungee.

- courtesy of Kiwi_JTL_HOT of Dedicated to H.O.T.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sinny

though i had no idea who he was before reading all of the above and doing some research myself, i find myself holding back my tears as i watch the funeral vid.

he left our world way too soon...

Rest in peace, Kim Hwan Sung.

Guest kangtagreen27

^ Thank you so much for replying and paying your respects. It means a lot. Not only to me as the poster, but I'm sure to the NRG members and families and fans all over.

Ahh...the pretty boy of the group.

I didn't get into Kpop until afterwards so I didn't know him, but I am curious to what he would've become and what achievements he would've accomplish if he had not passed. Such a shame...he was so freakin' young. Definitely a very sad story in Kpop history, watching the funeral, it was as if time had stop in Kpop.

I didn't find the clip on YouTube, but if you guys ever get a chance to watch their dvd: NRG - Since 1997: SBS Popular Song Star DVD Collection #3, there's a section where the members' talked about HwanSung, footage of HwanSung's last night in the ICU, footage of the funeral, and footage of the members' message to HwanSung during the memorial service. I was bawling watching that. I highly recommend this dvd. To see the pain on the members', families', and friends' faces...to hear the shakiness in their voices, the sounds of their tears... TT__TT breaks your heart.

I wonder what the NRG members are doing today.

Guest xmellorinex

He passed way too young. Its truely sad.

R.I.P. Kim Hwan Sung, you'll never be forgotten.

If I ever get a chance to watch that DVD you mentioned above, I sure will. It sounds so heartbreaking. :|

Guest ussobayo

Rest in Peace Kim Hwang Sung. I didn't really know who he was, but watching the videos made me sad. It gave me the chills.

Guest juma48

I remember crying when i first watch the funeral vid whereby the rest of the NRG members carry his coffin, it was really sad till make me cry...RIP kim hwan sung...

Guest loikyish.

10 years ago, I didn't know kpop nor idols existed. But even if I don't know him the video made me mushy. He was so young and he would have been one of the "pretty" musicians in kpop now. And I've read the cause of his death, sigh. Well, he's happy wherever he is now. : )

Guest superstar`kiss

10 years already. :/ I never really got to know NRG well, but I remember I liked them.

Right now, watching "Goodbye my Friend" is so hard. I couldn't help but cry. I remember an old performance of it too. There's so much meaning to that song.

Yess, I too would love to see what kind of person HwanSung would've been today. He passed so young. :'(

Hwansung will and is still always remembered. <3

Guest evilgary

its sad that he left so early without having his first concert. can't imagine how active he would be in programs if hes still alive

Guest Rainie

He died so young...I was still quite young 10 years ago and wasn't into K-pop then. But I have heard about NRG and his passing...

RIP

Guest sabchy

that is just sad.

I didnt even know who he was and I went to check it out. found the funeral and watching

all those people cry made me shed a tear as well

RIP

Guest kangtagreen27

woww -- i cannot believe it's been 10 years - i remember being so shocked as a big fan of NRG. thanks so much for this post!

-s

No problem. It was my pleasure.

I wish I could do more, but this was all I can do.

Thanks everyone for leaving a post and offering their condolences, especially when you didn't know him.

I hope with this thread, it has brought awareness to the new fans of Kpop who didn't know of such a sad event in Kpop history.

Because Kim HwanSung deserves to be remembered, for he had played a part in building the foundation of Hallyu.

Archived