How a man treats his mother is how he'll treat his future wife?

Guest Capriccio

Guest Capriccio

My math teacher told us that during class...He did say the guy can still change and there are other factors involve but do you think it's somewhat true? As for me, I think it may be true since my dad treats his mother and my mom pretty well. My parents do get into fights once in a while but other than that it's a good relationship. I just don't know if it's like that for other relationships though. I mean, should I watch how my boyfriend treats his mother?

Guest cinjin

I think it's true. My mom has always been telling me this; if the guy I'm with can't even respect his own mom (his parents/family in general) right then how can I expect him to respect me as well? It might be just me though because I value my family A LOT and they are always first for me so I find that if someone can't even value their own family then they probably can't value me (or anybody). But of course, there are exceptions such as he was badly raised/abuse etc.

In general, I've seen guys with good relationships with their moms (and especially, maybe, younger sisters) treat girls better more gently than other guys I know. There are lots of exceptions elsewhere I'm sure, but in my admittedly small sample size, they tend to be less physically (or otherwise) aggressive.

For example, my brother is very close to my mom, and affectionate towards her, and protective of me despite being younger, and you can literally see the hairs rising on his neck when older men are looking at me in a short skirt. He keeps an eye out for other girls he knows, too. Also, one of my boyfriends was incredibly protective of his mom, and he would get sooo upset when I'd walk at night by myself or anything. These are just two guys out of the entire male population, and there are obviously LOTS of other factors in play, and I know guys who aren't close to their moms would do the same, but I do think they're related.

I think it can work similarly with girls and their fathers *shrug*

edit: Because even if they don't like the way things are at home, it's what they're used to.

Guest sumoberrylu

i think this is really true.

my ex boyfriend did not treat his parents well. He would get mad at them often, cuss at them, yell at them. When he was frustrated and his mom tried to reach out to him, he would push her HARD. he was always and constantly screaming and pissed off at his parents. One time, he even grabbed his dad by the collar. They didn't even do anything to aggravate him...he would just get pissed at the smallest things and throw hugeee, scary, violent trantrums.

And...he treated me the same way...threw stuff at me, cussed at me, yelled at me, pushed me.

Oh, and he's 20 going on 21 so he should definitely be kinda out of his rebellious stage and should be at the stage where he realizes how great parents are.

Guest kireisnowtenshi

Yea for sure.

If he is treating the person who gave him life with no respect whatsoever then he won't do that for any other woman.

It basically shows he has no boundaries and girls are fair game.

However this isn't for every guy cuz sometimes mom isn't around...it may be up to someone else to teach his how to treat and respect women.

Guest KiMmY_52988

I hear it all the time. I've also wondered if it is true. My bf disrespects his family members and does not have a good relationship with his mom. He's called her a 'female dog', witch, devil, F-er, etc... She's said a lot of hurtful things to him and nagged/yelled at him too regularly for them to live in harmony. He treats me very very nice but we're not married so I don't know how it'd be if we were, haha. He did say that he didn't like it when I act like his mom.

I would say "no" since I believe in the person I'm with...that he won't treat me the same way he is with his mom. His mom is a bit...crazy/irrational at times. Their family is somewhat a dysfunctional family. His brother is also disrespectful towards their parents. Therefore, I could say that my bf's behavior is learnt. I feel that as long as I continue to treat him with respect and give him love, he'll always be a gentleman :)

Guest muffinx3

o: If this is true, then that would be pretty cute cause my boyfriend is always worried about his mom when his dad goes away on business trips! He doesn't want his mom to be lonely at home. Hahaha :lol:

Guest _kucha

What if he's a Momma's boy and so Momma has the upper hand and he won't stand up to Momma and then everything turns out like Everybody Loves Raymond.

i'm one of those girls who has a guy that respects his mother but i'm not his wife so i'm not so sure on that. he treats me really well and quite protective even if its trivial such as a guy being crude to me. although i wonder how it is for a girl then? like "How a woman treats her father...."?

I would say "no" since I believe in the person I'm with...that he won't treat me the same way he is with his mom. His mom is a bit...crazy/irrational at times. Their family is somewhat a dysfunctional family.
What happens when/if you do something he believes is dysfunctional or otherwise not-ideal? It's going to happen at least once in your lives. I'm not saying you shouldn't date him, but maybe it's a good thing to talk about. An inability to be flexible in one's responses to someone's actions can signal a kind of immaturity

What if he's a Momma's boy and so Momma has the upper hand and he won't stand up to Momma and then everything turns out like Everybody Loves Raymond.
:lol:

Another thing can happen with a guy who's used to his mother's unconditional and constantly shown brand of love is that the love he receives from his girlfriend can seem to pale in comparison. :mellow: "My mom would never..." But I think that's kind of rare.

Guest babiloveyoo

My dad treats his mother very well but to my mom... not so much. My mom and I were talking on the phone today and she said to me " I can't believe I married your dad, if he treated me with the same respect like he does to his mother then our realtionship would've been much better than it is right now."

In most cases, it is true.

Most men who do not treat their mother well are more likely to treat his future wife the same way because he assumes that his mother and his wife is similar. As for those who do treat their mother well, most likely he will treat his wife the same way since he was raised to respect the women important in his life the same way. However, this obviously does not apply to everyone, but based on what I have seen, it is usually true in most families.

Guest Natsune619

Not true.

My dad LOVES his mum, like he listens to everything she says and she can't do anything wrong.

But he is definitely not like that to my mum, I actually think he loves his mum a lot more..

So it's a no!

Not necessarily, but his attitude towards women in general (mom being the most prominent female in his life) is a good indicator of how he'll treat his future s/o and/or wife.

Archived