Privatizing DSL..

Guest Dim Sum

Guest CIRee

wow an advance question *SUPRISE*. your topic and your question are totally off base. But if you want to vpn through wireless its not that secure. could you give me more detail. It would help.

Guest Dim Sum

Sorry but how do u privitize ur DSL? Like making ur DSl private so only ur family uses it. That includes the wireless thingy for the the laptops. It think it requires u to create a password or something. I think it is the VPN thingy. sorry if i am so confusing...lol

Well, you just have to secure the wireless network.

VPN is a bit excessive to secure your personal network. I mean if you are wired, thats as "private" as you can get.

What router do you have?

You basically have to just setup the WEP or WPA security for your wireless devices. But even then, wireless security would just be a way to slow down a dedicated hacker. It would be impossible to genuinely secure a wireless network, but the logic is hack you, or hack your unsecured neighbor?

Well, I was HOPING you would give the model number of your router so we could figure it out... but since you didn't, lets take random stabs instead.

enter http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 into your web browser.

It should ask for a login. I HOPE you know your login.

Often admin admin, admin blank password, admin default, would be the default usernames. If its set to that, I pity you.

Head over to wireless settings. Enable 128bit WEP, generate a 26digit hexadecimal wep key. Copy that. If its enabled properly, all of your wireless computers should not be able to connect.

In the settings for that, set the security to 128bit wep, and paste that key in. (Great if you have a thumbdrive or something so you can access the file and copy/paste instead of typing it... I hate typing it)

Guest Dim Sum

thanks a bunch! but i don't know the password or the user name so need to call the company. Thanks for the help though

Guest mangujowa

Uh isnt it your router? If its your router, they wont know your login data, its something you configure.

uh, if you're using SBC Yahoo DSL ...errr, ATT Yahoo DSL, (the first link that you gave) your login and password would be the email that you signed up with (_____@sbcglobal.net) and the password would be the password for that account. =/ then it asks you for the modem number which can be found on the bottom of the ugly black block they send you. =] except mine isn't ugly anymore, I peeled off the red sticker and put a bunch of korean stickers on it. x]

Guest Dim Sum

Uh isnt it your router? If its your router, they wont know your login data, its something you configure.

i on the http://192.168.1.1 webbie thing. i am logged in but what do i do? from there? im on the wireless thing page bbut i don't know what to do.

what is the diffrence between share key and open system?

Oh nice.

WEP

Authentication Type, Auto. Sometimes some things don't like Open, others don't like shared key... so auto works best.

A good example is the PSP, it likes Open System. But my Pocket PC likes shared key instead so automatic works the best.

WEP Security: Enable that (if option isn't Enabled/Disabled it asks for 64 or 128bit key, set it to 128bit)

Set the box to say 128bit, enter a key, it will be 26 letters long... contans A-F, 0-9... a good example is this: fcad44733161fccfe8dc104a0e

(we only need to fill in one box)

COPY that key.. put it into a notepad file or something. You will need to use that key into every computer that connects through wireless. (think of WEP as a combination lock, and the key as the combination to access it)

If you like, we can go more advanced and enable the MAC filtering.

Other things I recomend is changing the SSID name "Network" to something else. Just to be unique like that. The SSID is the name of your network that pops up when you scan for networks and a non-default name loooks more secure than a default one.

If your reception isn't very good sometimes it helps to change the wirelss channel from 6 to 1 or 11.

Guest Dim Sum

It doesn't have auto. It is either open or share key. What is the diffrence between share key and open system?

How odd... well jsut set it to open key. Most things can take open system without problems.

Difference I honestly don't know I think its how the key is transmitted and how its handled.

Archived