dress's pleats make me look fat!

iomoo

or is it just my stupd love handles...
hi soompi dwellers,

for the longest time, i wanted the free people buckled up menswear dress, but as soon as i wanted it, it had run out of stock.

i was able to find one at heritage 1981 (forever 21) and bought it without trying it, as it was in SF and very crowded.

i do not want to return this dress at all, but i was wondering why this dress makes me look so freaking fat!

even when i wear my ASSETS spanx thing it looks weird.

typically i wear size 0-2 and i got it in a S/P.

im petite except i dont really exercise so i have stupid hips :P

(below bust)

2s9em48.jpg

it doesn't look that bad in the pic but in person it looks like im 10 lbs heavier.

i'm only 100 lbs :/

but i love this dress!

should i alter it or something?

i always depend on you guys and gals here at soompi!! :)

[edit] here's a stock photo. no wonder she put her hands on her waist--to hide the weird shape of the dress!

66316975-10.jpg

Guest SiNuBao

I hate it when that happens! D;

Hmm..I would try a wide belt. ( I'm not sure if it's called a bodice but wear it right about the rib cage area)

It should help smooth it out so it doesn't "flare" out at the wrong place. =]

It's a cute dress otherwise though!

Guest kinella

wear it with a little/short jacket or a long cardigan

since it is cut under the breast, if you use a belt it would make you look odd or even fatter (it depends on the belt shape though)

Guest anitazhou

i find that babydoll dresses tend to be unflattering (especially on me; P). my mom refers to them as the "pregnant dresses" lol.

i agree with above, wear a slim cardigan or jacket, or wear a skinny belt at the hip level

Guest fierrry

I cant really tell from the photo-- that looks like a plaid babydoll dress. Is that the style? If so, you're not fat. I don't actually think you look fat? But I cannot tell with the photo quality.

It's probably just the style. Some people can't wear the babydoll style w/out looking pregnant.

Try it with a beige/tan cardigan (unbottoned)/cropped jacket. The jacket should even out the flare of the skirt.

:)

Guest sh0rtstuff

your bra straps are soo high, it seems like you pulled the dress down too much, or the straps are too long. it can also be a dress that you "can't really wear a bra". but like bunny said, you're fine, it's the dress, f21 is horrible, i can't find anything in there now that they've switched owner and designers, and materials are cheap. you can try to find a alternative at nordy/nordy rack, charlotte russe, h&m and other place but this dress GOTS TO GO

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Like another poster said "It's not you..It's the dress"...Alot of regular people (especially us healthy girls) can't pull off the empire Waist/Baby Doll dress. Especially if you are quite fleshy on the hips a bit of butt (you know the junk in the trunk lol) , and if your shoulder width is a bit wide: then no that dress will not look good on you.

Those kinds of dresses look good on really willowy type of body figures..especially for people who have really long thin waists...My friend looks so good in empire waist dresses...And it's because she has such a long waist and killer legs...I'm so jealous of her lol <_<

your bra straps are soo high, it seems like you pulled the dress down too much, or the straps are too long. it can also be a dress that you "can't really wear a bra". but like bunny said, you're fine, it's the dress, f21 is horrible, i can't find anything in there now that they've switched owner and designers, and materials are cheap. you can try to find a alternative at nordy/nordy rack, charlotte russe, h&m and other place but this dress GOTS TO GO

thanks for replying, everyone.

yeah, usually i wear a shirt inside but for the sake of the picture i sorta didn't XDDD

but i will try to adjust it as well as possible.

f21 is not my favorite at all. i will probably stop shopping there.

this dress is actually a free people knock off replica-ish thing so maybe thats why...

Guest huunie69

Try to wear it without the t-shirt next time and add a black wide belt around your waist, it'll probably make your waist stick out more.. but it'll fix it :)

The problem is the dress, not your body!

If you can sew, try to thighen the chest area, especially just under the breast.

You can try a little pettycoat under the dress: that'll make the skirt flow away from your body =3

Guest ling_ling

well for one teaming it with the tee shirt doesnt help ~ your just adding more padding underneath !!

Also the dress looks waaaaay too big for you , espesh around the waist line ~ either get a smaller size or dont wear the top underneath

Guest rokusannu

I usually wear S/P sizes too, and sometimes clothes don't look flattering because of my (flabby) arms and wide-ish hips. It's okay. It's NOT the pleats that unflatter you. It's the doll dress. You hafta start choosing clothes that suit your body's unique shape. Instead of flattering you, the dress's poofiness is simply hiding you AND empty space, an illusion that packs on more imaginary mass..

I don't know.. maybe you could try a shirt that is of a darker shade, and a little more fitting. Like black, which has a slimming-illusion-effect-thingamajig. Or losing the shirt and wearing a cropped, long sleeved cardigan. Again, in a dark color and not loose and baggy. The dress is too cute to lose imo! :3

Guest RawrHomocidalCupcake

try raising it up and show a bit of your legs

cause i definatly know that im not skinny

5'6 w/ 130 lbs

and if i raise up a dress like that then i look like i have a S-Line soo... just pull it up :P:P:P

or you can get it shortened?

btw i have fleshy arms too but if i pull them back they look skinny LOLOL

Archived