Security Pins

iomoo

How to get them off...?
It's been one too many times that cashiers at my favorite stores forget to take off the security pin, forcing me to drive all the way back to the store to get it removed.

This has happened countless times, but my most recent are:

At Abercrombie & Fitch, the super nice and pretty cashier was ringing me up. I was having a casual conversation with her about my purchase, and she forgot to take off the security pin on my button up shirt. I was supposed to wear that shirt in a few days, as I didn't have a decent button up. I drove to a different A&F once I had found out (at home) that they left it on, and they told me that the security pin remover machine thing was different, so I had to go ALL the way back to the other one (about 25 miles away) and have them remove it the same day so I would be able to wear it in time. Pain in the neck.

A Nordstrom Rack (today) I purchased these amazing J-Brand black/white tie dye pants, which I was hoping to wear tomorrow. Half an hour ago, I excitedly take out my purchases, and blam. Security pin. NOT only that, they forgot to take the pin off one of my The Sak bags that I bought. So tomorrow I have to drive back to the Nordstrom Rack (which thankfully isn't that far) and have them remove it. But that whole process of having to go back just makes me tired thinking about it!

Why didn't the alarms stop me when I was exiting? More importantly, why didn't the cashiers think to take them off???

Now I have a question. Is there any self-way to get rid of the pin? I promise I won't steal anything on my life, but is there a way to stop this trip from happening? I impatiently tried to rip the pins apart and it only loosened, but I'm afraid of wrecking my garments.

Also, you can share similar stories, if you'd like.

[edit]

Yes, I know what the purpose of a security pin is. It ensures that people who steal things would be caught, or at least feel ashamed if they wore it in public or whatever.

Guest x`aNNiie.

Yes i have had similar experiences. Why can't you just make sure they take it off each time you buy something? That's what i do.

Yeah don't think you can take them off yourself with a machine. But each store has different ones. It's not for the alarms i don't think. I think the purpose is that you cant wear it because you can't remove the security pin if you stole it.

Guest x byul satang

well I used to work at gilly hicks (the underwear store by A&F) and i remember the dressing room key had a security tag on it and while i was working, i accidentally pulled apart the tag by just playing with it O_O. so i think you can pull it apart yourself, but i don't know exactly how.

just make sure you see them take it off each time you check out.

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

it's difficult to remove without ruining your clothes.

it could leave a hole in the fabric or worse

you *could* try with pliers if you're desperate

maybe in the future just watch the cashiers carefully and make sure they remove the tags

^ yes.

but sometimes they put on the "ink" tags which releases ink to stain your clothes if u tamper with the tag

so, it'd prob be best to go back to the store for these kinds

Guest deportedkorean

You could buy the removers online, but as you know first hand, a lot of stores have different tags and different "machines" or guns they use to remove it. Just double check the things you bought before you leave the store.

can you take a picture of how it looks like?

you can try searching youtube and seeing if there are guides for the type of tag you got

Thanks for all your replies.

Usually I don't pay attention, so in the future I will, but at Nordstrom Rack they line your clothes up on a pole specially to CHECK them! And it's sort of hung away from the customer so it's really hard to tell.

From now on, I definitely will pay attention. I'm also searching for tutorials on how to remove them, even though I will probably return the item so it will be removed. :/

[edit]

PDURRR, this is a picture. also, the inside has the same circle-shape.

11j4spg.jpg

Guest Babylicious xo12

tbh..i think you should just double-check all your stuff is decensored before you leave the stores since it happens so often to you. asking how to do it at home isnt the best thing..i work retail and this is not directed at you, but it definitely promotes stealing when some other people who arent as honest see these tips and tricks.

also, i'm not sure why these censors didnt go off at the door?..or did you not hear them go off? a&f and nordstrom both have censors that go off at the doors, if not their own, other stores too..not just for decoration x_X

on top of that, i'd call the store managers or corporate or something n complain about how crappy their workers are for not removing censors that often.

Guest cystaltears

i used to work at a retail store and I caught a girl stealing, so I casually went up to her and asked if she needed any help..she of course got scared and left...what I found was the clothes that she attempted to steal all had the security tags removed...it looks like she cut it was a razor of some kind... my mangers then tried an experiement and used an exacto knife to see if it can cut the tag off and apparently after some time the tag came off without ruining the shirt or whatsoever...

Guest kiralz0mg

My sister's friend can remove them o: she uses like a hammer and screwdriver or something.. i don't know exactly how she removes them but you can like google it or something lawlawl -useless post i know D: -

Guest lovesicles

^ yes.

but sometimes they put on the "ink" tags which releases ink to stain your clothes if u tamper with the tag

so, it'd prob be best to go back to the store for these kinds

you can tell which ones are the ink ones and which ones aren't.

usually they have a warning that they have ink in them, haha.

and it might not ring because some magnets are.. fake, basically.

just to scare shoplifters.

1. if you're fairly strong. just pull it apart.

2. you could use a really strong magnet? apparently, that works.

3. just... be sure to remind them next time. :l

Guest micoxdd

put it on the ground and stomp on it..it snaps off ...but i havent tried it in a while just make sure u dont break the thing holding the ink haha

ooh never seen abercrombie sensors before

yeahh that i don't know..if you really don't want to drive there, you can either drill it...try using a big magnet on it...or using force to pull it apart

i've pulled apart a ink one before, when i was working at mervyns (which is dead now, thank god) i don't feel bad because i hate that place and i didn't have to pay for it or anything HEHEHEH

Guest angeland

i think they use a powerful magnet to remove it

dunno if there is a mechanical way to do it yourself

better check carefully next time when you shop (i think the safety pin worth a penny too, the cashier will appreciate it if you point it out)

Guest twinkle_l0ve

don't these stores have the security tag system things at the door that beep like crazy when you walk out with a security tag? If you walk right in the middle of them, they don't pick up sometimes so stick closer to the sides of the doors LOL

Just make sure you double check before you leave the store. It's a pain trying to get it off yourself, especially for some types of tags (the store I worked at needed this really snazzy electro-magnetic bar thing to deactivate the lock and silence the alarm... yeah. complicated).

Sometimes brute force will work. But for delicate items, I'd avoid that.

Archived