Superstar K Winner, Seo In Gook [서인국]

baoi

Seo In Guk should be awarded as the 'best son ever' with his gift to his mother

class="section section-sidebar" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 51px 0px 10px; font-family: inherit; line-height: 40px; color: rgb(216, 212, 212); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-size: 2.2em; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: -0.1em; z-index: 0; position: relative;"February 22, 2015 @ 7:49 pm
class="section section-sidebar" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 51px 0px 10px; font-family: inherit; line-height: 40px; color: rgb(216, 212, 212); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-size: 2.2em; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: -0.1em; z-index: 0; position: relative;"SCRAP, SHARE & LIKE

SHARES

Singer and actor Seo In Guk was featured in an interview where he was asked about his current status after recently ending his filming for KBS 'King's Face.' During the interview, Seo In Guk revealed that he had opened up a coffee shop for his mother.

He said, "My mother has lived a very hard life. There were many times when my heart would ache...even after I debuted, you would think that she would start living comfortably, but she continued to work really hard. She would tell me that she is okay, but as a son a part of me felt uneasy. For this Lunar New Year, I think I would be able to go home with a proud heart. I gave her the most thoughtful gift in my life, haha!

All throughout the interview, Seo In Guk continued to express his gratitude toward his mother and revealed that he is expecting to spend time comfortably with his family especially with the long weekend coming up for Lunar New Year. 

Seo In Guk stated, "Despite being a female, my mother went through many troubles [in her life]. She's practically taken on all kinds of jobs, even the rough ones. Even after I debuted, she's been living the same way. I hoped that she would live more comfortably, but everything I mentioned, she would say, 'There is no point of resting, I should live busily and create a life for myself. 

Until recently, she was collecting recyclable waste and I felt so sad that I opened up a coffee shop [for her]. I hear that they remodeled the place all pretty and it's currently in business. When I go down this time around, I'll be seeing [the coffee shop] for the first time." 

Meanwhile, Seo In Guk revealed that he is planning on making his debut in Japan with a new album that includes many of his genuine thoughts as well as his life stories. 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015/02/seo-in-guk-should-be-awarded-as-the-best-son-ever-with-his-gift-to-his-mother

this news pretty old story and confusing, sorry for the mess , i dont know how to fix it  :-/
  • Like 1

@ituaku.. i've  just read what you post from my twitr, i think he deserve "best son ever". People mostly easy to change their life style after being rich/success. Im so proud of SIG's mom coz she, even her son has been famous/well-known by citizen/world wide fans, but she still down to earth and maybe a little bit burdenly of her son's success. And properly SIG feeling sad cos seeing his mom still doing hard work while he's been success this days. @asmara_angie.. wow you're so great. You did trace followed the link...COOl!!:-bd Even me getting headache after round and round and round only in search of the link (..totally coz cruciality of the link added by bad signal X(.. also the languageX_X..)..oooh im old now^:)^. But!! i'll never give up. 
Embedded image permalink

ow..so nice to see him and his fans, wish i'm the one who's standing behind him.;))Yes, Hopefully his healthy, haenbokkagie, and success in career:x..

• Like 1

@seungshinl actually allkpop quite popular for kpop related news and rumours website in english (i hope i am not wrong ..since all my friends read this site also so i though it must be a famous one), i've been reading their articles since 7-8 years ago. Yes their pretty fast and cover almost everybody and everything in kpop/kdramaland but lately in my opinion this site become annoying cos it turned into a place for a fan war.
i found this inguk sang "snail", another song from lee juck. this is from his concert with Lena Park back in 2010

been noticing lee juck since i watched him in variety show "friends over flower" and i glad that inguk love to cover his songs.

• Like 1

Please help.....cant understand these articles,..unfortunately google translate is kinda mixed up urghhh..http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20150223070113753

http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20150223070006682

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20150223070113754

• Like 1

jennelyoung88 said: Please help.....cant understand these articles,..unfortunately google translate is kinda mixed up urghhh..http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20150223070113753http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20150223070006682http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20150223070113754

• Like 1

a chunk of the  40+ interviews that in guk did were released todayi've read most of them but took quite awhile to do so during work, walking to the station, at lunch, on the train etc
I've read about 15 or so so far but i think there are some moresomeone at dc compiled the ones released today
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=sig&no=698071&page=1

Here's a 4th audio file, from 21/2 - the event at venus forthttps://www.mediafire.com/?npj8hwwe7vm94wk

the one i upped yesterday was the event after this at yamano music
the 22/2 ones - both events were at tower records but 2 separate eventsi listened to it today and it's really hilarious
anyway, i dont know if i'll have time to translate much at alltrying to get my hands on these audio files has been hard enough (basically have to keep refreshing dc, once the links appear, they're gone within minutes)and reading the interviews took foreveri trust @seungshinl will be giving u guys lots of translation goodies haha
the law of the jungle team have left for vietnam today from koreaIn guk was not at incheon airport, i think he probably flew straight over from japan

• Like 1

if this thread has subtle nod icon, i might be the one who's click the icon many times for what you say @kimnabong and @seungshinl....My apology to the fans out there of the actress/actors which mentioned,. its not only coz im the craziest fan of SIG, but i'm also kdrama lover. I usually watch kdrama until midnight from my PC coz i thought it was great drama, and usually use my thumbs to tell my friends how the quality of the kdrama line story. And once again, im sorry for telling you guys my own feelings, but its been bothering me long time ago. Seeing TKF ratings also reading some articles bout KPOP news, make me curious bout what is interesting from the drama, such as The H***s or P********O, upss!! Underrated??, not enamored by SIG's masculine appeal?? Thats my BIG questions. Are they blind or what??A friend of mine once telling me that SIG is not too handsome, eeerrrr..Everytime  i read some articles mention bout male idol, i usually found "that guy again and again and again",(*You guys know what i meant)%-(Maybe SIG is not the first in their hearts, but for me SIG is the #1 and top of my heart.

:P

• Like 1

Noena-NauliNoer said: if this thread has subtle nod icon, i might be the one who's click the icon many times for what you say @kimnabong and @seungshinl....My apology to the fans out there of the actress/actors which mentioned,. its not only coz im the craziest fan of SIG, but i'm also kdrama lover. I usually watch kdrama until midnight from my PC coz i thought it was great drama, and usually use my thumbs to tell my friends how the quality of the kdrama line story. And once again, im sorry for telling you guys my own feelings, but its been bothering me long time ago. Seeing TKF ratings also reading some articles bout KPOP news, make me curious bout what is interesting from the drama, such as The H***s or P********O, upss!! Underrated??, not enamored by SIG's masculine appeal?? Thats my BIG questions. Are they blind or what??A friend of mine once telling me that SIG is not too handsome, eeerrrr..Everytime  i read some articles mention bout male idol, i usually found "that guy again and again and again",(*You guys know what i meant)%-(Maybe SIG is not the first in their hearts, but for me SIG is the #1 and top of my heart.

:P

• Like 1

seungshinl

said:

jennelyoung88

said:

Please help.....cant understand these articles,..unfortunately google translate is kinda mixed up urghhh..http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20150223070113753http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20150223070006682http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20150223070113754
  • Like 1

Beautiful voice from a lovely song, a great performance, fantastic fans.. prove that SIG was loved much by his fans. So jealous, cos can't express the feelings towards him as the fan's right there. Many things prove that SIG is the best entertainment, he can sing very well even in English, Japanese later on maybe in Chinese or other languages. Every gender of songs he's been tried. Can play melody of guitar more in piano. Can act expertly.A Great personality. What's else?? If we may do comparison, SIG is one of the very rare multitalented person in entertainment industries. Even his face isn't everyone favorite, but I think those skills prove enough bout his personal quality.

Cia you*keep in spirit uri Gukkie aa.. Saranghae.. :x

God will protect you from bad evil, guides you to right way being a good person, blessing you now and forever.. also to all of you guys who's been tired doing some efforts to post and translate anything bout OUR LOVELY SIG..

Love you guys, :x

Noena-NauliNoer said:

Beautiful voice from a lovely song, a great performance, fantastic fans.. prove that SIG was loved much by his fans. So jealous, cos can't express the feelings towards him as the fan's right there. Many things prove that SIG is the best entertainment, he can sing very well even in English, Japanese later on maybe in Chinese or other languages. Every gender of songs he's been tried. Can play melody of guitar more in piano. Can act expertly.A Great personality. What's else?? If we may do comparison, SIG is one of the very rare multitalented person in entertainment industries. Even his face isn't everyone favorite, but I think those skills prove enough bout his personal quality. Cia you*keep in spirit uri Gukkie aa.. Saranghae.. :x God will protect you from bad evil, guides you to right way being a good person, blessing you now and forever.. also to all of you guys who's been tired doing some efforts to post and translate anything bout OUR LOVELY SIG.. Love you guys, :x

another whole bunch of interviews released today
in guk said he really did have surgery on his eye when it was injured :( he also talked about how he wants to invest more on himself for 2015 -go travelling, learn sports etche mentioned he wants to take up fencinghe says he is interested in dating but unfortunately has become 'insensitive' to it since he's been out of action for so longhe says he would want to go on a sports date if he had a gfalso talked about in the future if he has kids, he wants them to learn either the piano or some sports, eg he's not good at soccer so maybe his child can learn soccerhe loves his niece!! hehe it was her first birtdahy not long ago, and he found it fascinating how when she was first born she looked so fragile as if if u touch her she would break
there's lots of talk about king's face in the interviews as wellone of them he mentioned what i had thought also about the ending that it is an OPEN ENDINGhe said although gwanghae says he wont go find ga hee, he thinks it's an open ending that that it's possible in the future, ga hee might help gwanghae again when the situation arisesSEE EVEN INGUK THINKS THAT!!! @seungshinl

• Like 1

@seungshinl, That's explain my confusing.., I was wondering how come you don't know allkpop at all.. Hahaha.  
@cecilia, thanks for the audio, inguk did a good job sang all 3 songs, love hearing them live. Funny how he was laughing when fans shouted his name after the first verse of "calling you". What !!! you think heartrider outside korea don't know about that fanschant? even i do that without realising it. :))
those new pics are so so good but this one caught my eyes
10348183_539463189527515_504190673155166

the white and black, style, pose, body language and those eyes just WOW .. beautiful.. 10/10 

• Like 1

The power of Seo In Guk: an actor no longer with labels (interview)

[꼬리표 떼어낸 배우 서인국의 힘 (인터뷰)]

wkjWyBK.jpg

서인국 (Seo In Guk)

As an entertainer Seo In Guk’s life is interesting. In his 7th year since starting an entertainment career as the winner of the 2009 ‘SuperstarK’ Season 1 (Mnet)’ he has grown into a respectable lead actor of the KBS2 Wed/Thurs Mini Series, a historical drama at that.  In an acting opportunity that happened by chance he left a deep impression in ‘Love Rain (KBS2),’  proved his potential as an actor in ‘Reply 1997 (tvN)’ which followed by an airtight filimography with ‘Rascal Sons (MBC),’ ‘the Master’s Sun (SBS),’ the movie ‘No Breathing’ and ‘The King of High School (tvN).’

In between he has shared his singing voice through the songs such as ‘With Laughter With Tears,’ ‘Loved You’ and ‘Bomtanaba.’  And by successfully completing the historical drama ‘the King’s Face’ he is becoming the actor and singer who shows unlimited growth.

Now Seo In Guk no longer lives under the labels of an ‘audition star’ or a ‘singer-turned actor.’  What made his power possible?  He doesn’t have sculptured looks.  On a first take he looks agile but distant.  On a deeper examination he gives out warmth with dignified manner.  He has a look that makes you feel various emotions.  He is a good ‘bowl’ (a vehicle) for various roles.  Seo In Guk is someone who takes advantage of this vehicle with hard work, modesty.  And above all else, he is filled with energy that lights up all who is around him.  

His personal goal is ‘to become someone who does not need to pretend to be bright’ and you can feel the power Seo In Guk gets from this belief.

Q. You debuted with ‘Love Rain’ in 2012 (KBS2).  After two years you received ‘the New Star Award’ at the 2014 KBS Drama Awards with your role in 'the King's Face (KBS).  How did you feel?

SIG: It was peculiar.  It took two years.  It was wonderful to be nominated but receiving the award was even more so.  I should have done better but because I was in the middle of my MC’ing responsibility I was caught off guard.  Under the circumstance I think I handled it fine.  I wanted to mention each and every person but as an MC I was conscious of the time it would take.  Also if I were to mention each person by name I could forget someone really important so I think it was good I chose not to.

Q. You’ve completed your first historical drama ‘the King’s Face,’ how satisfied are you with that?

SIG:  I want to give myself a high mark.  First of all it was my first historical drama and it was way more difficult than any compliment I can give for a job well done but I was able to finish it without much complaint and enjoyed it until the end.

Q. Gwanghwe is a real historical personality.  What kind of Gwanghwe did Seo In Guk try to portray?

SIG:  In portraying Gwanghwe there were a few central points I wanted to express.  One is the span of his growth.  Depending on the time period I tried to convey the age-appropriate look and movement.  Even the breathing when I was not even moving I wanted to express.  Gwanghwe is a historical figure and one who he is being re-discovered.  I wanted to show a number of different evaluations of Gwanghwe that are out there.  There is a lot of different versions of Gwanghwe’s story aren’t there? A tyrant and a despot on one hand and a utilitarian (practical ruler) on the other.  Since I was the lead I could only say good things but when he wielded a sword to protect his people I wanted to show his bad side.  I wanted him to be brutal and bloody.  I wanted to show double sides of him. 

Q. Since you wanted to show the double side of him, it must have been difficult to express those emotions.

SIG:  Drawing the line was difficult.  How far you go was the key.  I worried about delivering the right expressions but I feel my expressions were well understood.

Q. What were the difficult things about filiming the saguk?

SIG:  Even if you are expressing the emotions with your eyes you have to refrain yourself in verbal expressions.  That is the beauty of saguk but I found that most difficult.  Your emotions want to explode but you have to hold yourself back.  And the way you explode is different than modern dramas so expressing it was difficult.  Even when you speak with a smile there were lines in the script that had a lot of ‘bones.’  I worried a lot about how to express the proper boundaries of the ‘bitter-sweet’ sensitivity.

Q. You’ve had many encounters in drama and variety shows with Lee Sung Jae.  You must have a good rapport with him.

SIG: Sung Jae hyung’s teaching style is to advise rather than directly teach you.  For example in a scene where I had to be an angry King I worried about being angry alone vs. being angry toward my ministers and he would advise me a lot on a whole variety of angry feelings.  He doesn’t needlessly tell me this and that.  He respects my acting.

Q. At ‘the King’s Face’ Press Conferece you said that ‘even though it requires a lot of energy Lee Sung Jae hyung continues on with his emotions off the camera and it helps me to maintain my emotions.  I am really thankful for that’.

SIG:  I really learned a lot from Sung Jae hyung.  There was a scene where his character die.  I was the only one acting out the scene on camera but in order to help me with my emotional expression he acted out the prolonged scene of dying with his eyes open and filled with tears.  In Episode 3 where I had a crying scene and hyung-nim stood behind the camera so I was able to look him in the eyes.  Even then he was able to help me connect with my emotion and I was able to sob.  I sobbed for three hours and it was all thanks to him.  This is how you help the other actor be in sync, this is what I learned.

Q. This was the first saguk for the female lead, Jo Yoon Hee.  You must have been able to encourage each other in your first challenges together.  

SIG:  We really worried about the right tone for saguk.  In saguk whether you speak up (‘did you do it?↗’) or down (‘did you do it?↘’) it can have a very different meaning of the expression.  At the beginning for example I was still a prince and things were less serious so our expressions were light rather than dignified and we discussed how to do those scenes.

Q. In ‘the King’s Face’ Gwnghwe changes before and after the Imjin War.  What did you have to work on to show the growth?

SIG: I thought very hard about before and after the Imjin War.  Before the war I couldn’t help but feel young and I tried to express the 'bright clear shiny eyes' feeling.  After the war I tried to express the 'cool-headedness and at the same time be resolute and determined.  Somehow I wanted to show the change in the light (shine) of the eyes after having gone through something so difficult.  

8ok1ATV.jpg

Q. To be honest the choice of ‘the King’s Face’ as a follow up project to ‘the King of High School’ was unexpected.

SIG:  I received the synopsis of ‘the King’s Face’ before ‘the High School King’ was finished.  I was looking for a 'treat for the eyes' but I found it so interesting.  I was turning the pages quickly in reading it.  I would come back from ‘the King of High School’ as soon as I could and read the script.  

Q.  Did you feel the burden (pressure) of doing a saguk?

SIG:  Yes I did.  I could not see myself in saguk.  I worried that people would have different lenses on when they looked at me.  But there were those who saw it with much more open mind than that and I got a lot of strength after the first episode aired.

Q. You have a number of projects behind you where performed a diverse group of characters.  What acting roles are you interested in doing in future?

SIG:  There are infinite possibilities.  That’s the charisma of acting as a career. I want to play a bad person. I enjoyed saguk because I was able to feel things I could not in my daily life.  A seonbae told me it’s a fortune from God to be able to act your real age in a role.  A year from now I may not be able to wear school uniform.  May be just for fun.  So I want to be able to play my own age but I also want to play an evil character.  A real psychopath or someone who is ordinary but who can draw out curiosity.  

Q. What is the role you found most difficult to get into and most difficult to get out of?

SIG: The most difficult to get into was Gwanghwe, the most difficult to get out of was the ‘King of High School.’ Actually I have not left Gwanghwe yet.  In case of the ‘KHSS’ I really put a lot of myself in to that character.  Not a 100% but while I was playing the 1 person 2 roles characters in Min Suk and Hyung Suk there were a lot of long takes.  It was like a play with a really long ‘breathing’ so there is a deep lingering image.

Q. In the ‘King of High School’ you had 2 roles in 1 person but also a special filming.

SIG:  It was a one man show. Haha.  I was wondering if I was doing it right myself.  There was no one in front of me to act with me so I had to all the talking all the remembering so it was awkward.  It was a unique experience.

Q.  In the ‘King of High School Savvy’ whether it be the PT (presentation) scene or the ‘cast kissing’ scene, they were notable for Seo In Guk’s ad-lib.  Are you naturally spontaneous and quick in reacting to situations?

SIG:  Haha. In the PT scene, we had only the key points so did not prepare much thinking that I would do it like playing a music.  Then I was asked to do a PT  for the scene and I remembered a gag program where men follow women to go shopping and what a ‘hell’ it was.  I think that’s where the quick reaction came out.  In the ‘cast kissing’ scene I felt it would be strange to be kissing with the cast on so I thought of removing it.  Then that seemed weired too.  I also wondered if it would be too risque to put the cast around her neck.  I thought of all kinds of different ways and then decided to try it that way and that’s how that kissing scene was created.  In ‘the King’s Face, there was no opportunity for ad-libbing.  And it was mostly a melo.

gTPVRnK.jpg

Q. There are many different words attributed to Seo In Guk as being a ‘flirt.’

SIG:  My efforts to liven up the set has given me those nick names.  I think of them as a good thing.  It’s probably why I have always enjoyed all the projects I’ve worked on.

Q. If you were to self-whip (self-criticize) yourself as an actor.

SIG:  I have a long way to go.  I have not gone anywhere close to going deep.  I should be confident about what I have expressed but I cannot be too confident.  I tend to give myself a lot of homework. I’m not a perfectionist but I do try to do my best.

Q.  When will we see the singer Seo In Guk?

SIG:  I had a mini concert recently.  I don’t have big events yet but from now on I want to tell my own story.  Not a singer who sings about other people’s stories but a singer who sings his owns story.  I am working a lot on my own.  In order to tell my own story it might take a long time or it could be soon.  My fans told me they would wait but told me not to be too long.  Ha ha!

Q.  Many feel ‘Reply 1997 (tvN)’ was the turning point in Seo In Guk's life.  What does Seo In Guk feel was his turning point?

SIG:  To me it was my first acting job in ‘Love Rain’.  It is true ‘Reply 1997’ was a project that made me feel a lot of things but ‘Love Rain’ was the big turning point.  Before that, I never thought capable of acting.  Not me, surely.  Just the fact that ‘Love Rain’ started me on an the acting path makes it the biggest turning point for me.

Q. What is Seo In Guk’s positive dream?

SIG:  I want to live well, eat well.  Haha.  If I can live happily with people around me without trouble until I die I really feel like that would be most enjoyable.  To live happily with neighbours.  If I can have a life where if there were a party tonight I could just say “would you like to come over and share a meal?” to my neighbours.  I would like the life itself to be happy.  And I would like it if that sort of happiness gets reflected on my face.  I want to become someone who does not need to pretend to be bright. 

Writing by: Park Soo Jung soverus@tenasia.co.kr 

Photos provided by Jellyfish Entertainment.

Translation by @seungshinl (edited 15.02.25) 

Translator's Note:  This is the first time I've seen an article that actually has 'ha ha' in the body of the story.  'Ha ha' to describe a laugh is borrowed from English.  They are not really part of Korean but language evolves.  ~O)

[\spoiler]

• Like 1