Japanese Discussion 日本語の討論会

Guest putasmileon

Guest suppaazn

can somebody explain to me 尊敬語, 敬語, and 謙譲語??

didn't really understand my teacher when she was teaching this.

thank you in advance. ^___^

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Raw Sugar

Hey everyone!

I'm currently enrolled in a Japanese course and we have to write a skit. I just have a few questions on how to translate some phrases.

How do you say "do you two know each other?" , "she is my ex-girlfriend" , and "it is late (at night)" romanized?

And if I want to say "the movie was fantastic" would "eega wa sugoi desu" be correct?

Thanks in advance!

can somebody explain to me 尊敬語, 敬語, and 謙譲語??

didn't really understand my teacher when she was teaching this.

thank you in advance. ^___^

Woo that's complicated haha..don't blame you for not understanding..well first off 敬語 is usually used as a blanket term for 尊敬語、謙譲語、丁寧語、etc.

尊敬語 is honorific language, using it shows you acknowledge the person you're taking to has higher status than you (ie he's higher up on the social food chain). Such as if he's a doctor, professor, politician, boss.. There are many forms of it, I'm not sure which you've learned, but a common one is using いらっしゃいます instead of います or 行きます / 来ます

いらっしゃいます is 尊敬語 because it "honors" the person you're talking to. お+ください is also common, such as お使いください instead of 使ってください. There are a few more forms as well.

You can never use 尊敬語 to talk about yourself or someone closely connected to you.

謙譲語 is humble language..instead of honoring someone, you're humbling yourself (ie you're not worthy compared to the other person), being humble is considered something very respectable in Japan, kind of the opposite of the US, so it is used often. Examples are using いただきます instead of もらいます, or using 参ります (mairimasu) instead of 来ます, using 申します (moushimasu) instead of 言います. There's also a humble form which is お+します / いたします, such as お調べします or お調べいたします (I'll look it up for you), using いたします is more humble than します because いたす is the humble form of する。

You can never use 謙譲語 to talk about the actions of other people, unless they are closely connected to you.

Tell me if you still don't understand.

How do you say "do you two know each other?" , "she is my ex-girlfriend" , and "it is late (at night)" romanized?

And if I want to say "the movie was fantastic" would "eega wa sugoi desu" be correct?

Do you two know each other? - shiriai desu ka?

She is my ex-girlfriend - motokano desu yo

It is late - yoru ga osoi desu

The movie was fantastic = eiga wa sugokatta desu

-katta shows past tense, saying 'eiga wa sugoi desu' means "The movie is fantastic" whereas "eiga wa sugokatta desu" means The movie was fantastic

I made a post about -katta and stuff a few pages back if you're confused

Guest sweetea

Can someone please translate the following for me?

●SBK(スケボーキング)の復活アルバムにVERBALが参加!

2008.11.26 Release

SBK(スケボーキング)

Album『RETURNS』

[初回生産限定盤]BVCR-18162~3/¥3240(税込)

[通常盤]BVCR-14047/¥2854(税込)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

【収録曲】

「elegy train」「EPISODE featuring Kj」「u&i」「slash/slash」等、全12曲収録予定

http://www.bmgjapan.com/sbk_sp/

Thank you very very very very much :)

Guest suppaazn

Woo that's complicated haha..don't blame you for not understanding..well first off 敬語 is usually used as a blanket term for 尊敬語、謙譲語、丁寧語、etc.

尊敬語 is honorific language, using it shows you acknowledge the person you're taking to has higher status than you (ie he's higher up on the social food chain). Such as if he's a doctor, professor, politician, boss.. There are many forms of it, I'm not sure which you've learned, but a common one is using いらっしゃいます instead of います or 行きます / 来ます

いらっしゃいます is 尊敬語 because it "honors" the person you're talking to. お+ください is also common, such as お使いください instead of 使ってください. There are a few more forms as well.

You can never use 尊敬語 to talk about yourself or someone closely connected to you.

謙譲語 is humble language..instead of honoring someone, you're humbling yourself (ie you're not worthy compared to the other person), being humble is considered something very respectable in Japan, kind of the opposite of the US, so it is used often. Examples are using いただきます instead of もらいます, or using 参ります (mairimasu) instead of 来ます, using 申します (moushimasu) instead of 言います. There's also a humble form which is お+します / いたします, such as お調べします or お調べいたします (I'll look it up for you), using いたします is more humble than します because いたす is the humble form of する。

You can never use 謙譲語 to talk about the actions of other people, unless they are closely connected to you.

Tell me if you still don't understand.

ahhh thank you very muchh! i get it now (especially since you explained in english...

verses my teacher speaking in super fast japanese...LOL)

and basically i was studying this for a test i had today....it wasn't even on the test. =___= SIGHH*

but thank you again! ^-^ i'm sure that i'll be coming back for more help. hahaha

Guest suppaazn

i said i would be back! xD hahaha

okay so i was doing my japanese hw just now and i got stuck on a couple of sentences we had to translate.

can someone help me?

1) 喫茶店と いう所は いつもあまりはいりませんから… ( that itsumo/amari together got me confused LOL)

2) じつは その人と 家の娘が ともだちで…

3) 「日曜日に ひびや図書館へ いってみませんか。」

「図書館と いう所はどうも…」

「私も あまり好きじゃありませんが、時々は いいと思いますよ。」

(i translated this, but as for the whole conversation it didn't make sense.)

thank you in advance! ^___^

Guest Miffy ♥

How do you say, "Please pour the water into the cup."?

かける

つぐ

そそぐ

Which one do you use? I'm so confused. I need this for my Japanese speech on Monday.

My sad attempt: cuppu (don't know how to say cup in japanese, I'm too lazy to look it up) no naka ni mizu o kakete kudasai.

Please help!

Guest suppaazn

1: 喫茶店にはあまり入らないので・・・

2: 実は、家の娘とその人は友達なんです・・・

3: 『日曜日一緒に、ひびや図書館に行きませんか?』

『図書館はあまり・・・』

『私もあまり好きじゃないですが、たまに行くと楽しいですよ。』

ahhh thank you but i was looking for english translationss instead because i was trying to translate

but some of them confused me like the first one... never heard of itsumo and amari together...so yeah..

i'm sorry but can you help me with the english translation? ahh i feel bad. .___.

ahhh thank you but i was looking for english translationss instead because i was trying to translate

but some of them confused me like the first one... never heard of itsumo and amari together...so yeah..

i'm sorry but can you help me with the english translation? ahh i feel bad. .___.

1) 喫茶店と いう所は いつもあまりはいりませんから…

"I usually don't go into cafes"

You don't have to translate it word for word, sometimes being clear is more important than being exact..いつもあまり is uncommon in writing but would probably be said in the spoken language..it would be like saying in English I usually don't ever go into cafes or something along those lines

2) じつは その人と 家の娘が ともだちで…

"Actually my daughter is friends with that person, and.."

If the order confuses you try rewording it, such as じつは家の娘がその人とともだちで。。。 same meaning different word order

"Would you like to go to the library on Sunday?"

Not sure why ひびや is there

「図書館と いう所はどうも…」

"Libraries are very..(bad, smelly, adjective etc.)"

"I don't like them much either but I think it's good sometimes"

Tell me if anything confuses you

Guest suppaazn

1) 喫茶店と いう所は いつもあまりはいりませんから…

"I usually don't go into cafes"

You don't have to translate it word for word, sometimes being clear is more important than being exact..いつもあまり is uncommon in writing but would probably be said in the spoken language..it would be like saying in English I usually don't ever go into cafes or something along those lines

2) じつは その人と 家の娘が ともだちで…

"Actually my daughter is friends with that person, and.."

If the order confuses you try rewording it, such as じつは家の娘がその人とともだちで。。。 same meaning different word order

「図書館と いう所はどうも…」

"Libraries are very..(bad, smelly, adjective etc.)"

"I don't like them much either but I think it's good sometimes"

Tell me if anything confuses you

Ahhh thank you, Tamago86! You and and hangbok_2007 helped me a lot! ^-^

ahh i was wondering... what does a verb + お-だん + う? i'm not sure if i said that right but does that make sense?

for example, 行こう,読もう, or 書こう mean??

sorry i keep on asking soo many questions. =___=

me again. please kindly look over my japanese sentences if they make sense at all.

1. 今年のなつ休みは、一週間に一回二時間で日本語を勉強しました。あいにく、私がぜんぜん上手になりませんでした。

[basically i roughly wanted to say: "this year's summer, for [about] 2 hours, i studied Japanese once a week. unfortunately, I didnt become skillful at all."

originally i wanted to say "during last summer" but I didnt know how to write that. also, i'm not sure if i put it in the correct word order]

2. 日本語で話して上手になりたいです。

["i want to become skillful in speaking japanese." my classmate said my sentence is wrong but she can't help me either... :sweatingbullets:]

please and thank you.

hh i was wondering... what does a verb + お-だん + う? i'm not sure if i said that right but does that make sense?

for example, 行こう,読もう, or 書こう mean??

It means "Let's X" or "Shall we X?"

行こう! Let's go

行こう? Shall we go?

読もう! Let's read

読もう? Shall we read?

It's basically the informal version of 行きましょう / 行きましょうか? and 読みましょう / 読みましょうか?

me again. please kindly look over my japanese sentences if they make sense at all.

1. 今年のなつ休みは、一週間に一回二時間で日本語を勉強しました。あいにく、私がぜんぜん上手になりませんでした。

[basically i roughly wanted to say: "this year's summer, for [about] 2 hours, i studied Japanese once a week. unfortunately, I didnt become skillful at all."

originally i wanted to say "during last summer" but I didnt know how to write that. also, i'm not sure if i put it in the correct word order]

2. 日本語で話して上手になりたいです。

["i want to become skillful in speaking japanese." my classmate said my sentence is wrong but she can't help me either... :sweatingbullets:]

please and thank you.

The only mistake I noticed was it should be 私ぜんぜん上手になりませんでした

You don't need to use が, because you already made it clear from your first sentence that you are talking about yourself, がwould be used if you were introducing something or someone new. Basically look at it like you've already introduced the subject (yourself) so you don't need the subject market が anymore.

For during last summer you can say 去年の夏休み (去年 kyonen means last year)

Number 2 looks fine, there's lots of ways to say that.

今日本語をべんきょうしなければなりません。

でも、soompiはとてもおもしろいから、集中するのができない。

ああ、わるい~~~  <_<

Guest orangecake

ひびや図書館は、日比谷図書館。

地名だよ :lol:

could someone help me check my translation?

English: Is this how i'm supposed to feel?

Japanese: 私が感じるためにいかに仮定されるかこれはあるか。

thanks loads! =)

おぉ~

俺はキャスパーと言う18歳の男なんやけど、

去年の3月から今年の3月まで京都で留学してきた

普通の学校いって、ホームステイですんでたし、日本語うまくなってきたんやけど、

やっぱりまだまだって感じ;;w

まあこれでいいのかな・・・

よろしく。

Archived