Korean Music & K-drama Forums Opening To Public

soomp

Guest musicismylifey

If I had a vote, I'd vote to keep it as it is now.

It's not that hard to sign up for SOOMPI. If a person

wants to view a hidden topic, all he has to do is sign up!

It kind of loses the community-ness then...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdsnabi426

There's one forum I visit where pics aren't loaded for guests. It's a very active forum with only a few sections opened for guests to read. They only show the link to the pic until you log in and then you can see the posted pic like normal. I believe this saves on bandwidth. Maybe soompi can implement something like this. If a guest really wanted to see the picture they would have to click on the link. And for download links, I agree that it'd be best to have a way to hide them either until one is logged in or until one replies to the topic. I assume guests will only be able to read topics and not reply to them, right?

I think it's a good idea to get soompi more attention from outsiders who are just stopping by the forums to check it out,

but I think these types of people are the ones who will take advantage of that and never sign up because they're too lazy? or its just convenient to not log-in every time?

It feels like an breach of the community ><

Guest selita03

lol is a good idea of spreading the korean culture but the moderators and the old soompiers must be working hard to maintain the thread to be 'clean'( free from spam). Anyway, let's see how it goes ^^

Guest babymarzy07

i think having the kmusic section open is ok.

but the drama i think would be too much.

all those links, credit issues and things.

i think best way to go about it is to create a hack

that hides the links as was mentioned.

so the other users can feel secure is posting.

and the links will not be unavailable too much (ie. if the link expires after 100 hits)

i seemingly agree that the present setup has a more secure and community feel to it.

it's easy to register if your really interested it surmise.

i agree though its a good idea to spread kpop love..

but still people might just become lurkers and not posters?

how bout creating a set post limit? or something?

I think we can do a hack that lets us hide links to guests. So they would be able to see the content, but not the links. let me see what I can find. This should answer people's concerns:)

I like this, and I hope it happens because I am also concerned about the download links.

Why can people just register?

Personally, I think only the K-celeb section should be open to everyone.

Music and drama should be for registered members :/

thanks for the heads up Soomp! it's a good thing that we could share all info on K-drama and movies to guests, but the problem is the hotlinking and grabbing of pics. dl links and info without credits to the original poster, which happened to me when I created a drama thread and noticed that all my pics were hotlinked, resulting in all my pics getting over the bandwidth, I was able to fix that though but hopefully and crossing my fingers that it won't happen again, it's just goes down to respect for each member and visitors viewing the forums, that's what I'm scared of

Guest badstar

Okay I did not read everyone's post so I'm sorry if this was asked and has been answered already.

Given that they can view both forums, that doesn't mean that they can reply right?

Are you guys also giving them that option?

Anyway, it's 50-50 for me, yea we need to spread kpop and all, but it really doesn't take you the whole day to register here in soompi.

But then again, some registered members are just lurking around soompi without even replying to the topics. lol. so it's pretty much the same XD

Guest mshenrylau

I'm not personally a huge fan -___-;

It isn't hard to join Soompi, it annoyed me until I joined the forums, but then I got addicted to them. It's good to open up all this info. It will lose some of the community feeling though. Hopefully we can get bigger and bigger! :D

Guest keaiclam

I'm kind of skeptical about the kdrama threads too. I mean it's great that there will be more informing for the mass, but the download links might get out of hand. We'll see how it goes then? xD

Hmm...I'm kindda skeptical about this. The music section is ok but the drama section and possibly the k-celeb photo sections are what I'm worry about. First of all, not only the download links that members upload but also news translations, episode summaries are in there. Since it's already pretty hard to keep track of all this copyright and credit things, opening the forum to the public would make it even easier for non-member to steal these stuff and translators as well as unloaders would be discourage from sharing their stuff. And many have already voiced their opinion on the whole bandwidth issues so I'm not going to touch on that. But I agree with some that IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO JOIN THE FORUM, only a few clicks and voila...

However, if soompi staffs and admins really decided to do this then I guess it would be best if you guys can somehow hide the download links so that if anyone want to see it would have to register. I've seen a couples forums doing that and I think it's one of the best way.

Guest htruc

I think we can do a hack that lets us hide links to guests. So they would be able to see the content, but not the links. let me see what I can find. This should answer people's concerns:)

That would be best. Some of us have links that we get permission to post only on soompi and if others were to post it elsewhere, it'll might be a problem.

Guest Ploy_yamame

Thanks for information.

This's a great idea.

but I think download part should only available for members. :D

Guest yumidoma

Nope, I like the way it is now...

Joining Soompi isn't rocket science....

and abt Korean Celebs pix..

don't know.. coz now ppl have started posting news there

and the whole copyright and credit, pix hotlinks.. issues spring up..

Guest V A L XD

yea, I'm concern a lot about people hotlinking our contents :[

Especially in the kdrama thread.

Is it possible that we can have a code where we can hide all the dl link and that only posters who who can see the dl link?

Guest Nakuru

The other K-music mods and I are still uneasy about opening up the forum, but I guess there are sacrifices to be made if we're really going to be keen on spreading Kpop culture.

Something like this would be good to have. Could it expanded into some kind of general feature that lets only logged in members see the content? Some kind of hide code that could be applied to anything i.e. text, pictures, links, etc.?

Guest lemoncake0910

... i dunno ...

i think that the k-celeb and k-music being open is fine...

but the drama section would be a bit too much...

as what many people above me posted...

since a lot of users upload the dramas themselves it wouldn't seem fair~

^ yea, that's true.

And don't forget those threads about all those Korean Variety Shows too... o__o

Guest love_fate&destiny

I like this idea. ^^ It's just the Korean Music & K-drama parts of the soompi forums that is opening to the public right?? ^^ If that is so, then I think that's pretty great. ^^

Archived