Laptop Constantly Freezing

Pseudonym

I've had DELL Inspiron E1505 for less than three years. Several weeks ago I had my laptop reinstalled and I received a new memory because one wasn't functioning. When I put the memory back into place, my laptop wouldn't turn on when I tried. Now the door to the memory is jammed because I've been twisting the screw so many times its lost its shape.

It turns on now but it has been constantly freezing on me when I haven't even done anything -- I would shower and come back to it frozen, or when I turn it on in the morning it would freeze. I ran a diagnostic test and nothing seems to be the problem as everything passed.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Do you know how many mb you are supposed to have in total? Right click my computer and check make sure it shows the correct amount of memory. If lets say only 1 stick is recognized, then it probably will be quite slow.

At 3 years... heat might be an issue if you don't clean it often... do you clean it often? It might be overheating and the vents are filled with dust. Spray the vents with a can of air :)

Do you know how many mb you are supposed to have in total? Right click my computer and check make sure it shows the correct amount of memory. If lets say only 1 stick is recognized, then it probably will be quite slow.

At 3 years... heat might be an issue if you don't clean it often... do you clean it often? It might be overheating and the vents are filled with dust. Spray the vents with a can of air :)

Do I click on Properties after right clicking on My Computer? If it is, it says:

T2500 @ 2.00 GHz

2.00 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with computers so I'm not too sure what you're addressing :sweatingbullets:

I've never cleaned it before but I will get a can of air now :) Thank you so much for the help!

Are you supposed to have 1gb of ram? Do you know what you installed? I ask because if its not installed right, it might not get detected all the time.

Next thing I would have you check is the SMART of your hard drive, you can install SPeedfan and check the status there. :) If your hard drive is going bad that can explain freezing as well.

Are you supposed to have 1gb of ram? Do you know what you installed? I ask because if its not installed right, it might not get detected all the time.

Next thing I would have you check is the SMART of your hard drive, you can install SPeedfan and check the status there. :) If your hard drive is going bad that can explain freezing as well.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have 1 GB of ram. It was a reinstallation of Windows XP. I had it done because Firefox would turn completely white for no apparent reason, it was messing up with other browsers that I was using. I had contacted Dell to see what the problem was and the technician said it was probably an application error and the system needed to be installed again. She mailed me some CDs and when I had access to the internet, she took control and installed everything from the Dell website. I'm not sure if it helps, but I had speaker problems as well. I would play a video and pause it, the next minute I wouldn't be able to hear anything. In addition, when I was webcamming with someone the recipient would get static sound. I know it's me because I've webcammed with the same person using another webcam and it was perfectly fine. I brought that issue up with Dell as well and they reinstalled my volume controls but it didn't solve anything as there was still static sound.

I print screened the SMART tab because I didn't know what to list out for you:

icjnm0.jpg

11j5a28.jpg

How disappointing that looks fine :(!

Do you think theres a chance for spyware? Do you get any popups? Have you checked your startup to see if theres anything hogging resources? It seems extremely unlikely because its a fresh install but I guess its possible.

How disappointing that looks fine :(!

Do you think theres a chance for spyware? Do you get any popups? Have you checked your startup to see if theres anything hogging resources? It seems extremely unlikely because its a fresh install but I guess its possible.

I just did a Spyware Terminator scan and there's nothing found except a cookie. I don't get popups. I've checked startup and there's nothing that hogs resources.

I contacted Dell and they said there's a possibility my motherboard and sound card are the issues at hand. I'm supposed to ship my laptop back...:(

Thank you for your help, awdark! You've been a great help to me! :)

Archived